PDA

View Full Version : Quoting posts

Mantis
01-04-2009, 08:54 AM
If it's done incorrectly it looks bloody stupid. ie. refer to post #29 in Footy Classifieds thread (sorry to pick on you Bumper...it's not just you, but this is a good example)

Can everyone take the time to check that when they have quoted someone that they have done it properly. Just check your post after submitting and if it hasn't worked hit the edit button.

Rant over

And if you are not sure how to do it I'm sure one of the mod's will help show you... Hey I might even help if you ask nicely.;)

Go_Dogs
01-04-2009, 10:10 AM
And whilst we're on pet hates, it's Ryan Griffen. If you are unsure of the spelling, just look to my user name. Griffin plays for the Crows.

Bulldog4life
01-04-2009, 10:20 AM
And whilst we're on pet hates, it's Ryan Griffen. If you are unsure of the spelling, just look to my user name. Griffin plays for the Crows.

And I have to add that my pet hate is when David Smorgon is spelt Smorgan. I feel better now.:)

soupman
01-04-2009, 10:38 AM
And it's Hargrave, not Hargraves or Hargreaves or any other stupid spelling.

And while we're on the topic do not get mixed up with there, their and they're. They all have completely different meanings.

Sockeye Salmon
01-04-2009, 12:19 PM
A footy team doesn't loose. Your pants are loose if you don't own a belt.

Also ridiculous starts with 'ri' not 're'.

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Oh and while we're on the topic of the spelling

Its Footy CLASSIFIED not Footy CLASSIFIEDS of Footy "Confidential" (in reference to the thread that was made)

/end rant :D

Sedat
01-04-2009, 01:24 PM
"In regards to"..........in place of "with regard to". "In regards to" means nothing, and only succeeds in making the speaker sound like a dumb-arse. I hate it, but it has somehow weaseled it's way into the verbal lexicon of just about every radio and television presenter. It annoys the crap out of me every time I hear it.

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 01:31 PM
And any Post mentioning the Crows.

This is hereby nominated a "Crows Free Zone"

Got it?

soupman
01-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Irregardless is not a word. It is a made up combination of irrespective and regardless.

(I haven't actually seen it used on here yet but just in case)

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 02:41 PM
In addition sockeye, loser as in the loser of the game has only 1 o, not looser.

I hate this very much but not as much as the 5 letter c word mentioned just above who are a bunch of 4 letter c words.

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 02:44 PM
As is the Adelaide media.

Sori iv I aff ofenderd anywun.

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 03:26 PM
In addition sockeye, loser as in the loser of the game has only 1 o, not looser.

I hate this very much but not as much as the 5 letter c word mentioned just above who are a bunch of 4 letter c words.

Beautifully put.

You forgeot the 9 letter C word - Coneheads

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 03:59 PM
'Leg speed' is my pet hate.

Scorlibo
01-04-2009, 04:43 PM
While we're at it, could everyone please make an effort to use capitals at the start of every sentence? Not meaning to be a patronising duplicate of your grade 2 teacher, but it just makes posts that much easier to read.

hujsh
01-04-2009, 05:10 PM
While we're at it, could everyone please make an effort to use capitals at the start of every sentence? Not meaning to be a patronising duplicate of your grade 2 teacher, but it just makes posts that much easier to read.

BUT DON'T GO TOO FAR.

I also have an addition to the grievances thread. I get that you like to direct some people's ATTENTION to particular posts but overusing it can be somewhat FRUSTRATING.

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 06:03 PM
I hate it when people pick on the small things that people may be doing wrong, irrespective, or should i say "Irregardless" if it is an honest mistake or not. in respect to I'm sure Smorgans, Giffin and Hargreaves will not loose their temper, and transfer back to the Adleaide Crows, wouldnt that be a story for Footy Classifieds. If I could just direct your attention back to the post on Leg Speed....

Nah just pulling the piss, this site is awesome, its been a great find.

wb_age
02-04-2009, 01:21 AM
I lUv diS thRed!

Mantis
02-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Geez haven't I opened up a can of worms here.

Getting back to my opening post it seems the said poster didn't read this thread going by their latest effort in the preview thread.

GVGjr
02-04-2009, 09:13 AM

Getting back to my opening post it seems the said poster didn't read this thread going by their latest effort in the preview thread.

BulldogBelle and I will contact the few people that need some assistance with quoting posts. A lot of the errors occur when people try to bold the start or the end of post and highlight part of the [/quote text.

We are working on it.

The Coon Dog
02-04-2009, 09:16 AM

I guess you're suggesting that those wanting to quote a post should click this button:

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/untitled-2.jpg

Mantis
02-04-2009, 09:25 AM
I guess you're suggesting that those wanting to quote a post should click this button:

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/untitled-2.jpg

That part doesn't seem be the problem.

As GVGjr pointed out it is more to do with the editing & deleting of the orginal post where the problem occurs.

Before I Die
02-04-2009, 07:58 PM
That part doesn't seem be the problem.

As GVGjr pointed out it is more to do with the editing & deleting of the orginal post where the problem occurs.

Well, I am confused. I have looked at the original post to which you referred and it is not obvious to me what your concern is. Could you explain in more detail just what your concern is?

On a different, but related theme, what is the easiest (correct) way to include quotes from multiple posts in the one reply?

The Coon Dog
02-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Well, I am confused. I have looked at the original post to which you referred and it is not obvious to me what your concern is. Could you explain in more detail just what your concern is?

On a different, but related theme, what is the easiest (correct) way to inlude quotes from multiple posts in the one reply?

This might help, see 3rd option.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=378

Mantis
02-04-2009, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=Before I Die;76080]Well, I am confused. I have looked at the original post to which you referred and it is not obvious to me what your concern is. Could you explain in more detail just what your concern is?

I have on purpose incorrectly quoted your post to show what I mean. The post I was referring to has been fixed up.

Before I Die
02-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks Mantis.

Thanks also Coon Dog. Unfortunately the link you have provided won't work for me. Apparently I don't have sufficient priviledges??? However, I appreciate the quick response.

AndrewP6
02-04-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm a teacher and I HATE the kids saying " On the weekend, we VERSED Fremantle" or similar....

So no one here say it OK? Say "We played" or "We competed against" not "We versed"!

hujsh
02-04-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm a teacher and I HATE the kids saying " On the weekend, we VERSED Fremantle" or similar....

So no one here say it OK? Say "We played" or "We competed against" not "We versed"!

Or 'we smashed';)

Bumper Bulldogs
03-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Guys as you all have had some entertainment at my expense. ;) It clear that you all have too much time on your hands.

No it's OK I'll still provide ongoing entertainment for you all.

Look forward to the next post and i bet a mistake wont go unnoticed.

LostDoggy
04-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Thes is wun uf thu bast pusts I huv rid in thvis WUUFER sITEi Jist Faanusttuk Muntis

always right
04-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Slightly off-topic but I detest the common use of the word "journey" in every bloody reality show and I also hate everyone signing off "cheers" in phone cenversations, emails and letters. Foregiveable when you're being served in a bar...but since when did it become acceptable to end every correspondence or conversation with "cheers"?

By the way...hate it when people use the term "from my advantage point". It's "vantage point" for christ's sake. Oh, and one of the most common erros on these boards is people speaking "dribble". Try "drivel" next time, okay?

Feel better now.

ledge
04-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Slightly off-topic but I detest the common use of the word "journey" in every bloody reality show and I also hate everyone signing off "cheers" in phone cenversations, emails and letters. Foregiveable when you're being served in a bar...but since when did it become acceptable to end every correspondence or conversation with "cheers"?

By the way...hate it when people use the term "from my advantage point". It's "vantage point" for christ's sake. Oh, and one of the most common erros on these boards is people speaking "dribble". Try "drivel" next time, okay?

Feel better now.

Hey its a footy site some do actually dribble!

BornInDroopSt'54
30-09-2009, 11:49 AM
The error that I notice most often on this site is "should of" (should've) 'could of' (could've) 'would of' (would've). The error comes from them sounding the same.... but of course they are contractions:
would've- would have etc...

BulldogBelle
30-09-2009, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=Mantis;76083][QUOTE=Before I Die;76080]Well, I am confused. I have looked at the original post to which you referred and it is not obvious to me what your concern is. Could you explain in more detail just what your concern is?

I have on purpose incorrectly quoted your post to show what I mean. The post I was referring to has been fixed up.[QUOTE]

I steal dont udnerstand what your compalining about??/

BulldogBelle
30-09-2009, 07:46 PM
No mention of the epidemic of inappropriate apostrophe's????? They're everywhere!

Desipura
30-09-2009, 08:23 PM
surely there are more important things in life?

ledge
30-09-2009, 08:28 PM

Obviously not.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-09-2009, 09:57 PM

You underestimate the power and importance of the language. It is more powerful than the sword. We are all subject to the rhetoric of others.

Doc26
30-09-2009, 10:15 PM
All very funny if taken tongue in cheek and talk about defying a stereotype.

Actually, overuse of the word actually actually annoys me and just seems a pointless word actually.

NoseBleed
30-09-2009, 11:31 PM
There's one pacific thing I hate to see or hear, but I try to block it out...

NB.

KT31
01-10-2009, 12:46 AM
A footy team doesn't loose. Your pants are loose if you don't own a belt.

Also ridiculous starts with 'ri' not 're'.

Not yours.:D

KT31
01-10-2009, 12:48 AM
There's one pacific thing I hate to see or hear, but I try to block it out...

NB.

Don't put shells to your ear and you won't have to worry about it.:D