PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Bulldogs vs Kangaroos

GVGjr
05-04-2009, 09:44 AM
This is the discussion thread for this afternoons important clash against the team that has beaten us regularly over the last few seasons, the North Melbourne FC.

My predictions to break this trend are the Dogs by 18 points, Giansiracusa BOG and Hahn for the first goal.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-04-2009, 09:48 AM
I think the Dogs by 42 points, Cross BOG and Gilbee first goal.

It is fantastic that North do not have a milestone game against us this time.

comrade
05-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Dogs by 13 points.

Cooney to light it up and Picken to shut down Harvey. Higgins for first goal.

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Dogs by 27 points

Minson to kick the first goal

Cross BOG

Does anyone have a teamsheet for us considering players that went to Willy?

Do anyone know if the game will be available on veetle?

GVGjr
05-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Does anyone have a teamsheet for us considering players that went to Willy?

Do anyone know if the game will be available on veetle?

The team sheet would be as whats in the papers. Harbrow might come in for Callan but who knows for sure. Not sure about Veetle.

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Dogs by 10, hmm, Mitchy Hanh for first goal and Shigs for BOG!

GO DOGS!

Mantis
05-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Dogs by 15. If we have taken the next step it's a game we should win.

First goal to Aker.

BOG Griffen.

Disappointed I can't go, but look forward to watching the replay tonight and of course reading everyones reports.

Go Dogs!!

firstdogonthemoon
05-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Aker first goal - dogs by either 3 or 56 BOG will be Eagleton hahahaahha no seriously Hahn

strebla
05-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Dogs by 26, Cooney BOG and Hill forst goal wish I could be there it but it is Camerons first game of the year so will watch the replay

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Dogs by 27 points. First goal to Johnno - I hope he has a big day out.

Bulldog4life
05-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Dogs by 5 points in a close one. First goal to Johnno and Matt Boyd to follow up last weeks BOG with another.

bornadog
05-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I will stick with dogs by 27 points

First goal to Cooney

BOG - Cross

mighty_west
05-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Dogs by 44

first goal : Cooney

Last goal : Eagleton in junk time

BOG : Griffen

ledge
05-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Dogs by 30.
Gia first goal.
Griffen BOG

The Pie Man
05-04-2009, 12:12 PM
1 part of me thinks this game is a banana skin like Adelaide round 2 was in 07, but a larger part of me thinks we couldn't be better placed to break this North hoodoo

Dogs by 42 pts
Aker first goal
Gilbee BOG

Rocket Science
05-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Fair degree of optimism in the thread considering an opponent that's given us grief of late...and who am I to buck the trend. Maybe I'm channeling Mike Sheehan but am likewise feeling oddly positive about this one.

Dogs by 21 points
Giansiracusa for our first major
Higgins to bag BOG honours in his best outing for the club to date

Carna Scrays!

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm pumped. We gotta roll em this year.

Dogs by 36
Higgins first goal
Lake BOG.

...also just thinking about match ups from last year and what we might do differently today, can anyone remember who had the job on Boomer Harvey last year?

Rocket Science
05-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Everyone had a go, to no avail.

I still can't purge the memory of Eagleton's head-to-head stint.

bornadog
05-04-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm pumped. We gotta roll em this year.

Dogs by 36
Higgins first goal
Lake BOG.

...also just thinking about match ups from last year and what we might do differently today, can anyone remember who had the job on Boomer Harvey last year?

In the first game last year, he was knocked out in the first few minutes, but came back on and kicked a couple of goals.

In the second game he killed us in the first half (can't remember who was on him). Then Aker took him on in the second half and shut him out.

BulldogBelle
05-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Dogs by 2 pts. Come from behind win.
1st goal = Griffen.
BOG = Akermanis.

Happy Days
05-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Dogs by 5 goals after an early scare,
Johnno first goal,
Griff BOG.

hujsh
05-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Fair degree of optimism in the thread considering an opponent that's given us grief of late...and who am I to buck the trend. Maybe I'm channeling Mike Sheehan but am likewise feeling oddly positive about this one.

Unlike you the positivity of this thread has almost destroyed my confidence. I was feeling good but now it's almost like we're being set up for a loss.

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 01:06 PM
In the first game last year, he was knocked out in the first few minutes, but came back on and kicked a couple of goals.

In the second game he killed us in the first half (can't remember who was on him). Then Aker took him on in the second half and shut him out.

Thanks guys..from memory we've had quite a few shocking first terms against the roos in recent years, do you think Aker might get the job early and then Picken will have a crack later on?

Go_Dogs
05-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Dogs by 20. BOG Griffen. Cooney first goal.

If anyone happens to find a veetle link for a live stream, please post it in this thread.

Max469
05-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Dogs by 8 pts

Gia 1st goal

Hahn BOG

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Hahn first goal
Coons bog
Dogs by 16pts

Sitting 2 rows back right on the wing expecting a few showers hopefully not too many!

Late change: I see harbrow warming up on the ground..don't see timmy callan

hujsh
05-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Now that i begin to enter the period between when the game begins and when i can watch it i realize that i should have gone to the game. Enjoy it you bastards;)

becmatty
05-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Good first quarter, Dogs by 13 against the breeze. 20 more disposals and far better usage. North a goal in last 18 seconds - would have been first time since 1997 for Roos to be goalless in a quarter vs Doggies.

Johnno 2 goals, Boyd, Higgins, Griff looking great.

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Come on dogs, why can't we ever bury these pricks.

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Doggies!!!!!!

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 05:40 PM
JOSH HILL!!!!

(Spoiler alert)

Rex Hunt is singing. 79-65 with just over a minute left.

Scorlibo
05-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Take a bow Brian Lake. Best player on the ground by a long way imo. Didn't make a mistake, 17 marks, he was brilliant. Callan Ward needs to develop some awareness and quickly.

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Take a bow Brian Lake. Best player on the ground by a long way imo. Didn't make a mistake, 17 marks, he was brilliant. Callan Ward needs to develop some awareness and quickly.

Playing games will do that, and i think they will continue to give him games.

The Pie Man
05-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Haven't seen it yet (1st wedding anniversary today) but it sounded like Harvey being pinged for a throw with a few minutes left turned it for us.

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 06:07 PM

Lake would now have to be close to the best FB in the league. From what I've seen on TV Ward's done alright. I heard on the radio Picken made a great tackle at the end winning us the game. What have you thought of Picken's game?

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Apparently, the pressure Picken put on Harvey caused him to throw the ball.

sydneydog
05-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Got tired in the end but showed enough.difficult to tame harvey for a whole game.

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Great to get the win, the game isnt on until 9:30 here but I listened to it on the radio, sounded like we were turning it over badly last 10 minutes of the third and all but the last of the 4th quarter.

Looking forward to watching it with a beer this evening.

Dry Rot
05-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Has Aker got anything to be worried about re that contact to the head?

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Just got back from the game. Enjoyed the win, but it was hard work. Loved Picken on Harvey - I watched the pair of them through my goggles a fair bit as it was entertaining watching Harvey (who I can't stand) get really, really annoyed and frustrated. Will be interested to know his end possession count. As said above, Lake is fantastic. He doesn't panic when he gets the ball. He's improved a lot, though I have always been a big fan.

Also Eade went straight to Ward at the 2nd & 4th quarter breaks not looking too happy.

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 06:41 PM

It was careless and un-Aker like (just going on what I remember from watching it live). However I can never guess what the MRP make of things.

hujsh
05-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Hill had a good game. Not the best as he made a few bad decisions but over all i liked his game today. The 2nd last goal and assist for the last put the icing on the cake.

Good to see Johnno do well today as well

ledge
05-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Pickens first game.. terrific , well done to him, will play a lot of games, Eades secret weapon? Addison was great and i also enjoyed Hill, who seems to be getting more confident and more touches every game.
The young and old teaming well with Aker his usual self and Johnno being the old stager.
I think it was another team effort, one thing i will say is we look a very close team.
Thought Hargrave was a bit off today but being in the backline every bad thing is multiplied.
Rain and great skills dont necessarly mix but i think today we showed we have the players to go in and do the basic hard in and under stuff, with which we probably didnt have a handle on last year.

lemmon
05-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Lake was excellant in the back half, Addison was good, Hill was classy in the last quarter, happy with Picken and I thought Wards clearance work in the last quarter was very good. Conditions really suited North today, the rain definitley aided there small forwards and we looked buggered after last weeks trip to Perth.

wimberga
05-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Just got back from the game. Feel like both teams were giving themselves plenty of reasons to lose the game until finally we found a reason to win.

Great game today from debutant Liam Picken i thought, and some great work by Griffen, Lake, Gilbee who worked hard all day with a hard tagger and Callan Ward who athough was not the cleanest of players, was in the right place at all the key moments and quite a few times won the ball.

On to a couple of things that i was worried about. No 1 was Tom Williams going down after a heavy clash in the 3rd quarter. Thankfully he appeared to be ok and my heart recovered.

On to the serious matter. Those at the game can probably back this up more, but i thought that today, our player working and finding space in all but the 3rd quarter, and yet we continuously chose the wrong option. Time and time again a doggies player would find acres of space only to have the ball be played a different way and often to our detriment. Im not sure how this can be rectified easily, but could sense that Aker, Gia, Johnson and Gilbee for example were time and time again in good positions but overlooked. Aker especially.

hujsh
05-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Picken can no doubt be a very valuable player with us. If he can keep opponents like Harvey to 18 disposals that have little influence and not be a liability with the ball (he certainly didn't look too bad with it) then we've got a great tagger.

comrade
05-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I thought we were fairly stagnant up forward and our structure broke down at times - I think Welsh has to come in next week and stay deep. Maybe Aker gets a rest?

hujsh
05-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Maybe Aker gets a rest?

Might not have a choice there.

ledge
05-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Aker gets free a lot every game but we never seem to look for him as much as we could, i understand his frustration at times.
Actually saw him kick one out on the full, thats a first !

The Bulldogs Bite
05-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Messy game with plenty of errors but I am glad we came away with a win, especially as we looked to be struggling halfway through the last. North had the momentum and we were making poor decisions time and time again. Gilbee missed Lake by a mile at CHF, and NM got a goal out of that. After that though, a few players lifted and we managed to get over the line. The umpiring was very, very poor - it ruins the game.

Ward and Higgins both have good skills but I found them disappointing today. Ward has very little awareness and coupled with a lack of pace, he was caught quite a few times today. One which turned the game. He needs to work on this and quickly. On the bright side, he did show some poise with good foot skills and an appetite for the contest. Higgins fumbled dreadfully and missed two goals that he could've and should've passed off. Both Hill and Cooney were all alone and could've made a certainty, but Higgins decided to take a shot himself and on both occasions missed.

Lake was incredible today. His hands and reading of the playw ere second to none. For mine he was a clear BOG and helped us get over the line. At times he was creative, but when he needed to be he showed plenty of poise. It really was a terrific match.

Hill was quiet but ended up having a huge last term. He ran hard and linked up several times and, of course, helped set up and then kick the winning goal. He seems to step up in patches and today finished with another 3 - a good effort.

I thought Johnson was very good today too. Strong hands (should have been paid the last one) and presented well. Nice to see him find form again. Picken was impressive on debut and made perhaps a match saving tackle causing Harvey to spill the ball inappropriately with not much time left. Cross and Boyd were their usual selves too and were good in close.

Overall, a grinding match that was at times difficult to watch, but pleasing that we managed to find a way to win against a side that we've struggled to find something "extra" against in recent times.

lemmon
05-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Aker gets free a lot every game but we never seem to look for him as much as we could, i understand his frustration at times.

Along with Hill they seemed a cut above, class wise. Dangerous when they got the ball and disposal was very good.

The Bulldogs Bite

Aker picked the ball up well today but his decision making/disposal was pretty bad. One of the worst games I've personally seen him play. He gave away a few frees and and turned it over a bit. Looked a little disinterested at times.

Hopefully he finds some form next week.

LostDoggy
AFL headlines "Bulldogs defeat gallant Kangaroos by 15"

so this must make it a HEROIC victory then!

ledge
05-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Who won the Dempsey medal?

The Coon Dog
05-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Who won the Dempsey medal?
Ryan Griffen.

ledge
05-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks TCD mm after his first two games he might have a few votes in the brownlow, we were warned!

G-Mo77
05-04-2009, 08:32 PM

I really don't think so. But who knows what will happen when you play Russian Roulette :confused:

bulldogtragic
05-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks TCD mm after his first two games he might have a few votes in the brownlow, we were warned!
4 or 5 votes I would think.

Could well be leading the count by the end of the first on air stubbie at this stage.

dog town
05-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Important win against a team who fancies playing us. We beat them for contested ball and clearances which was very pleasing. I think if it had been a dry day we probably would have broken them wide open as we were a bit slick in close with our hands. Once the ball got wet we were not as clean coming out of the stoppages as we normally are and that made a difference IMO.

The second quarter was dissapointing in how long it took us to adapt to the kangaroos tactics and change in weather conditions. They had about 10 consecutive inside 50s in the 2nd and we were lucky our backline had a blinder. After half time we started to play a little more direct and got more one out marking contests going forward.

I thought our backline was absolutely brilliant. Hargrave and Lake in particular were very good. Hargrave had something like 15 contested possessions and Lake took a stack of marks.

Kicking off the ground absolutely shits me to tears. Just bend over and pick it up. Players look scared when they do that. You should always take possession unless your going for goal.

Aker was very good in the heavier conditions as usual. Just his smarts made a real difference. He can get a quick handpass out or spot up a target or even just stick his bum in the right spot to shield one of our players. Thought he was more than handy.

Griffen also enjoyed the slippery conditions. Generally players who are that strong through the hips really enjoy those conditions.

Boyd and Cross were very good again. Cross played an important role filling the hole inside defensive 50 quite a bit. Boyd is a very good player now. Taken another step up I think.

Picken is going to be an interesting one. Didi a great job today but we dont need a tagger every week. Hard to say whether he wil just become a horses for courses type selection.

Johnson was the most dangerous forward on the ground.

Guido was a bit down I thought.

Ward made a few errors that have been covered but you have to love the way he gets in low and attacks the footy. Attack on the ground level ball reminds me of Selwood a little bit.

Hill was very dangerous all day. We probably dont kick the ball really well to him at times. We just need to kick to his advantage a little more and he is rarely going to be beaten in the air.

soupman
05-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Ward and Higgins both have good skills but I found them disappointing today. Ward has very little awareness and coupled with a lack of pace, he was caught quite a few times today. One which turned the game. He needs to work on this and quickly. On the bright side, he did show some poise with good foot skills and an appetite for the contest.

Regarding his lack of pace, whilst not overly quick I don't think he is slow. What he fails to do is accelerate, something the likes of Cooney and Gilbee do very well. When they get it they go full pelt to give themselves some room before steadying for the kick. Ward, particularly when he tried to run past two North players on the half-back flank, fails to push himself to give that extra space, meaning that he's always poised to kick it, but very easy to catch.

G-Mo77
05-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Kicking off the ground absolutely shits me to tears. Just bend over and pick it up. Players look scared when they do that. You should always take possession unless your going for goal.

Easier said than done. Those footballs get very slippery with a bit of water. Sometimes the best option, especially when you are running full tilt is just to kick it off the ground. Today I sometimes wished that the team would have just banged it forward rather than trying to move the ball around like it was a dry day. I thought we played much better football than North for most of the day but they seemed to get the score on the board by playing the ol' fashioned way at times which kept them in it.

ledge
05-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Dont forget he is young and will need another pre season to get that.

bornadog
05-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Important win against a team who fancies playing us. We beat them for contested ball and clearances which was very pleasing. I think if it had been a dry day we probably would have broken them wide open as we were a bit slick in close with our hands. Once the ball got wet we were not as clean coming out of the stoppages as we normally are and that made a difference IMO.

The second quarter was dissapointing in how long it took us to adapt to the kangaroos tactics and change in weather conditions. They had about 10 consecutive inside 50s in the 2nd and we were lucky our backline had a blinder. After half time we started to play a little more direct and got more one out marking contests going forward.

I thought our backline was absolutely brilliant. Hargrave and Lake in particular were very good. Hargrave had something like 15 contested possessions and Lake took a stack of marks.

Aker was very good in the heavier conditions as usual. Just his smarts made a real difference. He can get a quick handpass out or spot up a target or even just stick his bum in the right spot to shield one of our players. Thought he was more than handy.

Griffen also enjoyed the slippery conditions. Generally players who are that strong through the hips really enjoy those conditions.

Boyd and Cross were very good again. Cross played an important role filling the hole inside defensive 50 quite a bit. Boyd is a very good player now. Taken another step up I think.

Picken is going to be an interesting one. Didi a great job today but we dont need a tagger every week. Hard to say whether he wil just become a horses for courses type selection.

Johnson was the most dangerous forward on the ground.

Guido was a bit down I thought.

Ward made a few errors that have been covered but you have to love the way he gets in low and attacks the footy. Attack on the ground level ball reminds me of Selwood a little bit.

Hill was very dangerous all day. We probably dont kick the ball really well to him at times. We just need to kick to his advantage a little more and he is rarely going to be beaten in the air.

Well summed up.

I thought it was an old fashion football game on a wintery day like we use to watch. I really enjoyed this game, although for a moment in the last quarter I thought Nth had the momentum and were going to win. It was tough out there to get the ball and Nth seem to play man on man when we had the ball, so we had little options up the ground.

Good win considering coming back from a hot Perth and against a team that seemingly has the wood on us.

dog town
05-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Easier said than done. Those footballs get very slippery with a bit of water. Sometimes the best option, especially when you are running full tilt is just to kick it off the ground. Today I sometimes wished that the team would have just banged it forward rather than trying to move the ball around like it was a dry day. I thought we played much better football than North for most of the day but they seemed to get the score on the board by playing the ol' fashioned way at times which kept them in it. Its never the best option to kick it off the ground. Courageous players slow down to pick the ball up and wear what ever punishment is given to them. Best way to control the game is to have the footy in your hands. Every kick off the ground we did today had a negative result. We are a better side with the ball in our hands. Doesnt matter how slippery the ball is, good players should always want to pick it up. First thing my coach taught me and we just dont lose games in the wet because of this. The other teams wont bend over and we have the ball all day long.

G-Mo77
05-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Its never the best option to kick it off the ground. Courageous players slow down to pick the ball up and wear what ever punishment is given to them. Best way to control the game is to have the footy in your hands. Every kick off the ground we did today had a negative result. We are a better side with the ball in our hands. Doesnt matter how slippery the ball is, good players should always want to pick it up. First thing my coach taught me and we just dont lose games in the wet because of this. The other teams wont bed over and we have the ball all day long.

Well I wouldn't say never. At AFL level yes 7-8 times out of 10 the better option would be to pick it up. Sometimes the best option is to knock it forward as far as possible.

I know this is off the kick off the ground topic, slighly similar but I think we got 2 maybe 3 goals from just a tap or punch forward of the play. Higgins did a nice punch of the ball to an unmanned Minson for a goal.

G-Mo77
05-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Just a couple of things before I go to bed. (Carrying the flu and barely made the drive today)

Why was Brad Johnson not awarded a mark in the last quarter right near the end? Looked like he had enough of it to me.

The goal that put North within 3. I think it was Mcintosh that kicked it. Was it a mark or a Free Kick? I may have my Bulldogs glasses on but I didn't think it was either.

AndrewP6
05-04-2009, 09:11 PM
just have to get this off my chest...I'm a bit over people saying we looked tired after last week's travel from Perth...after playing in the 'heat'...for God's sake, these blokes are professionals... and they played LAST WEEKEND... don't give me that "recovery" nonsense... to quote someone from another footy code... HARDEN THE **** UP!

Sedat
05-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Overall, a grinding match that was at times difficult to watch, but pleasing that we managed to find a way to win against a side that we've struggled to find something "extra" against in recent times.
You can thank North for that. Their use of the midfield rolling zone was professionally implemented but it made for some very tedious passages of play. I thought we looked at our best when we took risks and ran at the zone using quick hands to break through it. A far more satisfying win than last week, against both a willing opponent and a game style that has caused us no end of trouble.

Sockeye Salmon
05-04-2009, 10:02 PM
just have to get this off my chest...I'm a bit over people saying we looked tired after last week's travel from Perth...after playing in the 'heat'...for God's sake, these blokes are professionals... and they played LAST WEEKEND... don't give me that "recovery" nonsense... to quote someone from another footy code... HARDEN THE **** UP!

This post shows a complete lack of understanding of high level sport.

Every AFL side (yes, even Richmond and Melbourne) are within a whisker of every other team in the comp. Everyone on an AFL list is competant and there is very little between them all.

Travel is a major factor, that's why Brisbane charter a plane for trips to Perth - they don't fly above 25,000 feet, it effects recovery.

Eade told us it was such an important issue every player was going to be tested during the week by Vic Uni and anyone showing signs of fatigue was going to be rested, he had a squad of 27 picked for the 1st 2 rounds.

We had to return on the red-eye as well.

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 10:23 PM
As you can see from my Woof name, I have been on board the Griffin train for a few years now - I love the way he goes about his footy. I wasn't able to be at the game today because of a family commitment, but got to see the last quarter on the TV, after having listened to the radio. Given our record against the shinboners in the last few years, I am more than happy to take the win! My (perhaps premature) prediction is Griffin for the Brownlow - maybe this year or next! Go Doggies, go!

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Might want to get that spelling right bud.

bornadog
05-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Just a couple of things before I go to bed. (Carrying the flu and barely made the drive today)

Why was Brad Johnson not awarded a mark in the last quarter right near the end? Looked like he had enough of it to me.

The goal that put North within 3. I think it was Mcintosh that kicked it. Was it a mark or a Free Kick? I may have my Bulldogs glasses on but I didn't think it was either.

It wasn't a mark to Brad even though he tried to fool the umpire. He then pointed his fingers towards his eyes indicating to the umpire he was blind and was pinged for a 50 metre penalty.

The other one you mentioned was a free kick against Addison for chopping the arms.

wb_age
05-04-2009, 11:56 PM
I heard Gilbee being interviewed on SEN the other day, he was asked about his recovery from playing in Perth and he said that he wasn't right until Wednesday.

Travel factor combined with the travel through time zones, Perth daylight savings commence earlier than Melbourne.

This resulted in a light load on the track this week to freshen the boys up, so I'd say this has more to it other than simply hardening the ____ up.

hujsh
06-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Surprised we won the clearances. I though we were smashed. Felt like North had players on the outside waiting for the ball and we didn't

lemmon
06-04-2009, 12:42 AM

Every AFL side (yes, even Richmond and Melbourne) are within a whisker of every other team in the comp. Everyone on an AFL list is competant and there is very little between them all.

Travel is a major factor, that's why Brisbane charter a plane for trips to Perth - they don't fly above 25,000 feet, it effects recovery.

Eade told us it was such an important issue every player was going to be tested during the week by Vic Uni and anyone showing signs of fatigue was going to be rested, he had a squad of 27 picked for the 1st 2 rounds.

Perfectly put, its that 2-5% that decides the match.

AndrewP6
06-04-2009, 12:46 AM

Sorry to shoot you down Sockeye, but as it happens, I am very much aware of the demands of high level sport... if competing in a national league for 10 years, representing Victoria a number of times, and playing for Australia, meets your definition of "high level sport"!!! You say there's only a whisker between every team... you've got to be kidding...how did we belt Freo last week, because of a "whisker"??Or Carlton vs Richmond - a big whisker? Spare me... With all the modern technologies available, of course they're going to run a battery of tests... my point is, they are only travelling 3 hours! And then have a week to "recover"...my bet is, there'll be no complaints about travel fatigue this week, due to the win...amazing how 4 points helps your recovery...

AndrewP6
06-04-2009, 12:51 AM
I heard Gilbee being interviewed on SEN the other day, he was asked about his recovery from playing in Perth and he said that he wasn't right until Wednesday.

Travel factor combined with the travel through time zones, Perth daylight savings commence earlier than Melbourne.

This resulted in a light load on the track this week to freshen the boys up, so I'd say this has more to it other than simply hardening the ____ up.

Having played in a national sporting league for 10 years, and travelling to and from Perth many times over, I think there must be other forces making the travel so exhaustive...global warming, the recession, perhaps Mr Rudd's continual absence...."travel through the time zones"??? Come off it, they're not in the Tardis! These blokes get paid a ridiculous amount of money to kick a ball around a paddock, and for that they need a week to recover from flying to and from Perth...

hujsh
06-04-2009, 12:55 AM
You seem pretty happy just saying you played "in a national sporting league for 10 years." Why not say what it is?

AndrewP6
06-04-2009, 12:57 AM
Perfectly put, its that 2-5% that decides the match.

That "2-5%" figure is a bit broad... guess it's a modern spin on the "one percenters"... anyway, the percentage should be a bit lower this week, we only have to travel to Docklands... that is in the same time zone isn't it?

AndrewP6
06-04-2009, 01:02 AM
National Wheelchair Basketball League...and, yes, I'm quite happy saying that

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 01:07 AM

Why not fly at 15,000ft and set the cabin altitude to sea level , it would be like catching a super quick bus. Pretty sure Brisbane dont charter planes for home and away games. The benefits of having low cabin altitude are negated by time and money.

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 01:14 AM
I think Minson will be playing VFL for the next few weeks. Not good enough at this level. Below par ruckman and cant play forward.

Trade bait?

Scraggers
06-04-2009, 01:27 AM

Great to have some state and national reps amongst us ... as much as I believe the interstate games take a bit out of a side, particularly in recovery, the Eagles and Dockers et al. do it every second week

AndrewP6
06-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Great to have some state and national reps amongst us ... as much as I believe the interstate games take a bit out of a side, particularly in recovery, the Eagles and Dockers et al. do it every second week

THANK YOU Scraggers...a voice of reason at last...can't stand the Weagles or Freo (the wankers with the anchors!) but yes, they travel a lot too...

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Aker picked the ball up well today but his decision making/disposal was pretty bad. One of the worst games I've personally seen him play. He gave away a few frees and and turned it over a bit. Looked a little disinterested at times.

Hopefully he finds some form next week.

Sorry 'The Bulldogs Bite' - I disagree with your comments on Aker. I had Aker in my best 6 with today's effort.

I thought Aker was the general on the forward line today. His decision making, and the 1 percenters that don't usually appear on the stats (blocking and tapping the ball out) were excellent.
His awareness of a man on his own, his ability to get his kick quickly, and to find space himself, were features of his game.

Some decisions weren't the best, like kicking to Minson who wasn't able to hold his marks.

He did kick out of bounce on the full at Richmond end after taking a mark on the boundary line - but the umpire called play-on as the ball didn't carry the required distance.

I agree he did look disinterested on the odd occasion - especially after Johnno would blaze away or ignore him, when he had made good position. Irrespective of the reason/s, Aker should never let his body language display his feelings.

The good thing about football and this site, is that we don't have to agree on everything, but have still have our say, and support the dogs.

The Coon Dog
06-04-2009, 04:00 AM
Sorry 'The Bulldogs Bite' - I disagree with your comments on Aker. I had Aker in my best 6 with today's effort.

Same here, just amazing what he can do at times such is his skill level.

Desipura
06-04-2009, 09:16 AM
I think Minson will be playing VFL for the next few weeks. Not good enough at this level. Below par ruckman and cant play forward.

Trade bait?
Whilst I would not have worded it the same way. I am very frustrated with Will and agree he should have a spell. I watched him closely yesterday and his reading of the play in a marking situation seems a step behind his opponent, and not just yesterday's game!
He is an ok ruckman who does not do enough up forward.

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 09:36 AM

Trade bait?
Yes just give away experienced ruckman, we have so many ready.

We'll swap him your Freo's Sandilands.

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Only 23 & still has years of improvement ahead, not people come around with his size either.

bornadog
06-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Whilst I would not have worded it the same way. I am very frustrated with Will and agree he should have a spell. I watched him closely yesterday and his reading of the play in a marking situation seems a step behind his opponent, and not just yesterday's game!
He is an ok ruckman who does not do enough up forward.

Not one pass was on his chest, every time they passed it to him he had to reach extremly high which gave his opponent the advantage to knock it out of his hands.

bulldogtragic
06-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Any down talk on Aker is not correct. Watch the game again, especially in the current game is quality of possession not quantity of possession. It could be argued and i will that Aker was the difference between winning and losing yesterday. Not everything he did was solid gold, but he set up numerous goals and if he wasn't overlooked a couple of times wen free could have kicked a few more.

He is more important to the side than we are paying credit for. We expect 25 touches and a couple of flashy goals, but yesterdays performance was more important in personally setting up 4 goals (more than 1/3 of the total team goals) and he was linking well, tackling and sheperding and hitting targets.

Desipura
06-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Not one pass was on his chest, every time they passed it to him he had to reach extremly high which gave his opponent the advantage to knock it out of his hands.

Well he is a tall, and a tall key position player/ruckman should be able to take more than one contested mark whether on his chest or above his head, thats no excuse.
We went short to Minson twice in crucial stages in the last quarter and I knew he would not mark them as he never looked like marking them. The ball spilled and was taken away easily out of our forwardl line.
He is too intent in pushing his player away rather than having eyes only for the ball and jumping for the mark.

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 10:52 AM

He was led to the ball for most of the day and he was given plenty of good ball, thats just a poor excuse to cover up his obvious deficiancies in the forward line.

Yesterday all that was required from him was to bring the ball down in a contest so it disguised the fact that he was led to the contest everytime and was completely outplayed, jumped from 2 back and even when he was out in fron his hands were awful.

His age and potential are irrelevant, he has had 7 seasons and needs to do more than just be a handy backup ruckman.

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Any down talk on Aker is not correct. Watch the game again, especially in the current game is quality of possession not quantity of possession. It could be argued and i will that Aker was the difference between winning and losing yesterday. Not everything he did was solid gold, but he set up numerous goals and if he wasn't overlooked a couple of times wen free could have kicked a few more.

He is more important to the side than we are paying credit for. We expect 25 touches and a couple of flashy goals, but yesterdays performance was more important in personally setting up 4 goals (more than 1/3 of the total team goals) and he was linking well, tackling and sheperding and hitting targets.

To add to that there were several moments where Aker frantically chased down opponents which led to errors from North.

lemmon
06-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Agree with the comments on Aker, he was a cut above in the wet his disposals were creative and he looked the most dangerous with ball in hand.

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Aker may be one of the best exponents of wet weather football I have ever seen.

The sureness of his hands and use of his peripheral vision in close was outstanding, his supposed mistakes and fumbles always went our way and it was not by accident. Look closer and you will see.

bulldogtragic
06-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Aker may be one of the best exponents of wet weather football I have ever seen.

The sureness of his hands and use of his peripheral vision in close was outstanding, his supposed mistakes and fumbles always went our way and it was not by accident. Look closer and you will see.
Best wet player i have ever seen. The game for Brisbane where he kicked those sensational goals (inc. the surprise celebration).

And yesterday his poise was brilliant. As mentioned in another thread, in the wet especially he doesn't drop the ball in his kicking action, as presumably in the wet the ball could drop wrong and result in a clanger. He places the ball on his foot by huntching down in the action, thus ensuring the ball hits his foot right and lowers the possibility of a clanger. He does more within this game of AFL than most will realise as his persona can taint how you see him. His tackling, kicking, positioning, play reading and so on is absolutely exceptional and i hope when he retires at years end we sign him as an assistant staright away.

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Akers kicking in general and deft touches were awesome in the wet, he played a hand in many of our goals yesterday.

I am still a big fan of Minson and there is no one to replace him.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I take my comments back. After watching the replay, Aker was clearly one of our better players. I suppose I just caught him at the wrong times IE. A few of the bad kicks/looking disinterested. But he did play very well.

mighty_west
06-04-2009, 02:05 PM
As you can see from my Woof name, I have been on board the Griffin train for a few years now - I love the way he goes about his footy. I wasn't able to be at the game today because of a family commitment, but got to see the last quarter on the TV, after having listened to the radio. Given our record against the shinboners in the last few years, I am more than happy to take the win! My (perhaps premature) prediction is Griffin for the Brownlow - maybe this year or next! Go Doggies, go!

If you had been on board for a few years, surely you more than anyone would know how to spell his name...:D

It's Ryan GRIFFEN, not Griffin.

sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mofra
06-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Why not fly at 15,000ft and set the cabin altitude to sea level , it would be like catching a super quick bus. Pretty sure Brisbane dont charter planes for home and away games. The benefits of having low cabin altitude are negated by time and money.
Pressurisation doesn't work that way - an aircraft cruising above 30,000 ft will often have the cabin pressure at close to 10,000 ft so that aircraft performance (and efficiency) isn't lost. That is why you would get drunk quicker on apassenger jet even under "pressurised" conditions.

We are talking jet engines, which by nature operate more efficiently at lower pressure environments which is why aircraft pressurise & fly so high in the fire place - at 15,000 ft some aircraft would actually have their range cut so dramatically that they would require a refuelling stop.

Regardless, some players will naturally have better abilities at overcoming lower pressure (ie high altitude) environments - Josh Hill has a huge VO2 max ability so it would barely present a problem for him. Will Minson with his formally punctured lung would be effected more dramatically.

mighty_west
06-04-2009, 02:11 PM
I take my comments back. After watching the replay, Aker was clearly one of our better players. I suppose I just caught him at the wrong times IE. A few of the bad kicks/looking disinterested. But he did play very well.

PHEW!!!! thank goodness for that, because for a moment i thought i must have been watching a different game yesterday, i didn't have Aker in my top 4 votes, but he was next cab, he was very good yesterday.

Although, his miss snap out of bounds on the full was VERY non-Aker like, i guess he gets em 9 times out of ten, yesterday was that one off.

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM

Fair enough Andrew.

But i dont think you can compare amatuer or semi pro sport to elite professional sport. For starters, travelling to Perth gives your next opponent 24hr head start in recovery and planning. Plus the travel factor.

Ex WCE players believe weekly travel took 2-3yrs off their careers.

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 04:44 PM
I haven't yet watched the replay but I did like what Williams was doing yesterday by no means BOG but did well to hold his opponent down as well as running down the lines for giving a presents on the other side of the ground (though not used) and still managing to get back to cover his opponent did anyone else notice that?

The backline just looks like a more settled unit with him in it.

Sockeye Salmon
06-04-2009, 04:46 PM
I haven't yet watched the replay but I did like what Williams was doing yesterday by no means BOG but did well to hold his opponent down as well as running down the lines for giving a presents on the other side of the ground (though not used) and still managing to get back to cover his opponent did anyone else notice that?

Williams spent the day on Hale who ended up with 4 touches or something.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-04-2009, 05:00 PM
PHEW!!!! thank goodness for that, because for a moment i thought i must have been watching a different game yesterday, i didn't have Aker in my top 4 votes, but he was next cab, he was very good yesterday.

Although, his miss snap out of bounds on the full was VERY non-Aker like, i guess he gets em 9 times out of ten, yesterday was that one off.

I still think Aker's body language was poor for the most part yesterday, and the second half of last year. He looks dis-interested a lot of the time and from a supporters point of view, he doesn't look "apart" of the team. (Aside from Hill/Harbrow)

Just an observation though.

hujsh
06-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Well he is a tall, and a tall key position player/ruckman should be able to take more than one contested mark whether on his chest or above his head, thats no excuse.
We went short to Minson twice in crucial stages in the last quarter and I knew he would not mark them as he never looked like marking them. The ball spilled and was taken away easily out of our forwardl line.
He is too intent in pushing his player away rather than having eyes only for the ball and jumping for the mark.

Didn't someone mention that the best forwards only average about 1 contested mark per game? It was when someone stated they expect Hill to get 3-4 a game.

craigsahibee
06-04-2009, 05:15 PM

Tom positioned himself really well yesterday. He left his man at the right time to make it to the next contest. A sign that he is coming to grips with this game. We still have to remember that he has probably played less than 50 games of footy in his entire life. (I think) :confused:

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Didn't someone mention that the best forwards only average about 1 contested mark per game? It was when someone stated they expect Hill to get 3-4 a game.

Yeah that was me. I said if Hill could take 3-4 contested marks a game we'd go a lot closer towards the GF and we found that the highest contested marks per game was 2.3

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Tom positioned himself really well yesterday. He left his man at the right time to make it to the next contest. A sign that he is coming to grips with this game. We still have to remember that he has probably played less than 50 games of footy in his entire life. (I think) :confused:

He made some massive spoils. Other than that I didn't take much notice of him. (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) He wasn't one to get the ball and launch an attack forward like a Lake, Gilbee or Hargrave.

mighty_west
06-04-2009, 05:33 PM
I still think Aker's body language was poor for the most part yesterday, and the second half of last year. He looks dis-interested a lot of the time and from a supporters point of view, he doesn't look "apart" of the team. (Aside from Hill/Harbrow)

Some players can just "switch on" when required, you look at Coons, and he looks like he's almost half asleep at times, but when he needs to be on, he's on, Akers the same.

It's similar with cricket, between balls, your best to actually switch off, to mentally save yourself from burning out later on in games and lose all concentration, i was taught that when i was playing with Lenny Balcolm [state player for Vic & Qld], you'd be amazed how much it does work.

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Yes, Mighty West also uses that switch off button when the missus is around : )

mighty_west
06-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Yes, Mighty West also uses that switch off button when the missus is around : )

Cheeky!!!

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 06:44 PM
The Good:

THE MONKEY'S OFF THE BACK!!!!! (I just kept thinking of that line after the game). Beating the Subi curse and the kangas curse.

Brad Johnson isn't set for retirement just yet.

Liam Picken's first game reminds me so much of Dale Morris's first game (Vs Adelaide, first opponent was Andrew Mcleod and then Mark Riccuito). And there are so many similarities between Picken's story and Dale's story. A player no team wanted and given a life line by the dogs. Great lock down play on Harvey and because of Picken's tackle, Hill kicked his third. And for those thinking he was a bit of a lock down player only, there were a couple of passages where Picken wasn't afraid to get crunched to get the hard ball and a passage of play where he put on a burst of speed, not worried about taking on the opposition...alot of upside!

Josh Hill proves he can kick goals, without being a smart ass about it.

The "premiership" midfield of Griffen, Boyd, Cross and Higgens won the hard ball ,with assistance from Callan Ward.

Eagleton playing his second good game in a row, with some great long accurate kicks.

Tom Williams getting crunched (GASP!) and getting back up and playing.....I see it, but I don't believe it.

Guido snap from the boundary line in the first quarter - almost Aker like..speaking of...

Aker was probably the only player apart from Griffen (30 possies) who had a 4 quarter effort and was a major influence in about half of the goals for the dogs. He just knows what to do in pressure situations....we'll over look his wild snap from the boundary line.

Gilbee - showing he's not a one trick poney, if you tag him from the back line, he'll just get moved to the forward line and kick goals from outside 50. I also noticed he provided some beautiful shepherds and a great tackle in the third quarter to stop a certain goal. At first I thought it had to be either Hahn or Boyd, but it was Gilbee who crunched the kangas player.

Harbrow coming into the team and doing his job as if he belongs in the dogs best 22...

The dogs back 6 of Lake, Hargrave, Williams, Addison, Morris and Harbrow were effective and repulsed attack after attack, when the Kangas decided to bomb the ball forwad to their talls.

The Bad:

Some painful turnovers, which in turn caused some heart palpatations....I thought the cardiac kids had grown up since the Peter Rohde days, but they decided to come back for a day (I hope only for that game!). Wild kicks, handballs and decisions got the kangas too clsoe for comfort.

Some ill disciplined free kicks from Minson and Aker didn't help.

Also for hopefully the last time this season, the dogs were a bit in accurate infront of goal. Of course, the skill errors were influenced by the crap weather.

The Ugly.

Ben Hudson runninng in with the flight of the ball and running straight into Tom Williams....BAD BEN, BAD!!!

Aker getting reported and being offered a reprimand there goes the brownlow ;)

Waiting around for half an hour while Mighty West and his better half were dawdling along Punt Road :rolleyes: :p

The Upshot:
With Bob Murphy, Tim Callan, Everitt, Tiller and Scotty Welsh still to come into the team, can us long suffering bulldogs supporters dare to dream of a Premiership in 2009?

The Tigers:
Should I be nervous? The bad ol' dogs would have been certainties to win these kinds of games and then choke. I'm sure the dogs players will be itching for some "revenge" for last years lapse in concentration and near loss to the Tiggers. And it will be interesting who Rocket will sick Liam Picken on to (c'mon guys, it's time to give him a better nickname than 'Billy').

Rocket Science
07-04-2009, 04:04 AM
And it will be interesting who Rocket will sick Liam Picken on to (c'mon guys, it's time to give him a better nickname than 'Billy').

I've argued for 'Slim'...as in what he's likely to afford his direct opponents.

T'was thankfully slim pickens for Boomer for much of the afternoon.

Corny enough?

I am still a big fan of Minson and there is no one to replace him.

That's really Will's saving grace right now.

I don't wish to speak ill of the big bloke because he gives you what he's got, but to put it bluntly he's a weak link in an otherwise pretty balanced side right now.

One could argue he's much the same player he was 2-3 seasons ago, and I'd contend the same statement will probably still ring true in another 2-3 years time. He just doesn't have many strings to his bow, and has too many deficiencies for the modern game.

Assuming they come on as expected, Will may only have until Cordy and Roughead are ready for senior football to demonstrate whether he can improve his contributions to a side determined to forge a flag, or two.

I'm not sure the current incarnation of Will Minson is a player that's going to have a big say in getting us there.

Mantis
07-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Williams spent the day on Hale who ended up with 4 touches or something.

Hale's only real contested mark was taken in the 3rd qtr. Tom was actually standing the mark for a Wells shot on goal when this mark was taken as well.

Sockeye Salmon
07-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Hale's only real contested mark was taken in the 3rd qtr. Tom was actually standing the mark for a Wells shot on goal when this mark was taken as well.

And I noticed on the video last night that Hale's mark on the lead in the 1st quarter was on Lake while Williams was manning up someone else on the wing.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-04-2009, 12:54 PM

Agreed Muttley, and I liked the spoiled lead. Tommy was on his hammer and his telescopic arms spoiled from behind without giving away a free kick.
He's played so few Aussie rules games, he will learn from every contest. We may not see what he's capable of for two seasons, we just have to play him and hope he progresses. IN the mean time he only needs to be serviceable and show progression.

bornadog
07-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Can't agree BB, I think Aker looked lively and fired up. He was bobbing up everywhere in the forward line, creating goals, shepherding for others, passing to Johnno on the lead with his left foot (that was a real beauty), tackling players. I don't get whát you mean by body language, as I certainly didn't see any head shaking, hands on hips etc etc.

Mantis
07-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Can't agree BB, I think Aker looked lively and fired up. He was bobbing up everywhere in the forward line, creating goals, shepherding for others, passing to Johnno on the lead with his left foot (that was a real beauty), tackling players. I don't get whát you mean by body language, as I certainly didn't see any head shaking, hands on hips etc etc.

It's a bit hard to judge watching the game only on replay, but I tend to agree with your comments bornadog.

I thought Aker's performance was very good, not just for his work he did with ball in hand, but the team orientated things he did without the ball.

Raw Toast
07-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Good thread, my two cents on a few of things:

Our defenders were great for the most part, but I thought we looked a bit vulnerable to the long bomb in when Lake was playing a bit up the ground - there were a few contests where I'd have like either Shaggy or Williams to mark the ball and we got burned with North crumbing the ball (though their crumbers also let us off a few times). Just felt that if Lake was back at those moments we would've had an easy defensive mark and quick clearance.

One of the things that has been so impressive with Geelong is the way numerous defenders are willing and able to fly for and take those marks and then distribute it quickly. Shaggy did it a bit and Williams is clearly capable, but there's room for improvement here.

While Ward still needs to get better awareness, he was getting the ball at the right times (as others have noted), and if anything, just trying to do too much with it. Needs to get better at taking the first option and realising when to keep things simple, but promising in terms of seeking to break the game open for us when required.

Harbrow might still have decision-making skills to develop, but I think it was very impressive for him to play back so effectively - with Callan missing we really needed a small defender to step up, and Harbrow did a lot of things well, and showed great closing speed on a few occasions.

Minson hasn't had a great start to the season, but did some good things, and the weather needs to be taken into account in judging his forward work. The ball seemed very greasy, and it wasn't a surprise that no tall forwards dominated (it was surprising that the Roos still opted to go for Goldstein rather than bring a running player in). Minson also suffers when Murphy isn't playing, as Murph understands better than most, how to kick the ball best to his advantage - long and high, when Minson almost invariably outmuscles his opponent and marks comfortably.

Speaking of Murphy, we sure missed him. Be interesting to see how much Welsh can add if he comes in this week.

Really like Aker's game as well, though it seems like he's still adjusting to life without the possibility of as much immediate acceleration (he was caught a couple of times when in days gone, he'd have turned his opponent inside out). Be great if it could be drummed into almost the whole team, that they should look to play through Aker when going forward more, as he does so often make great position. Still we might also be using him as a decoy at times as well :)