PDA

View Full Version : What should Addison have done in the goal square?

Dry Rot
05-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Thought he was pretty unlucky with that goal kicked against him as it rolled towards the line.

Stupid new rule.

The Pie Man
05-04-2009, 06:46 PM
So if I understand correctly, if Addison had just got his boot to the ball first, he likely would've had a free kick paid?

I figured the rule was introduced to take the handball through the goals out ala Bowden and Hawthorn in the GF. After just seeing it then on Ch 7, he should be able to rush that and get away with it. I get the rule, but it shouldn't be for situations Dylan found himself in. Dunstall lost his sh_t on MMM when it happened, caning the rule.

Didn't have a great few minutes with the McIntosh free just afterwards (not much he could do there)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Thought he was pretty unlucky with that goal kicked against him as it rolled towards the line.

Stupid new rule.

I would've thought much like players do when the ball is near the boundary, attack the ball, take possession and allow your momentum to take you over the line.
I can't see how they would pay that as a free kick against him in that situation, as there were no other options as the ball was so close to the line and pressure was so close by.
As long as he didn't bash it across the line, I can't see him being penalised for not being able to control the law of inertia if it happened to take him over the line.
What Addison ended up doing was the worst of all options, but I feel sorry for him as he was obviously worried about having a free paid against him for a rushed behind.

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 06:50 PM
I don't know if this is true or not - but a supporter behind me said Addison could have pushed the ball through without being penalised as he was under immediate pressure. Confusing if true.

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Maybe slide for it and hope to knock it back? But just in a very unlucky position, tried doing everything not to kick it himself

GVGjr
05-04-2009, 07:03 PM
He should have just tried to grab the ball but kept moving it through.

ledge
05-04-2009, 07:18 PM

Hit the nail on the head, think its a good thing it happened as it now highlights something that could be addressed rules wise, or coaches ringing the umpires advisor and asking what should a player do in that situation.

No doubt GVGjr its what he should have done, i just hope Rodney doesnt bag him for the decision he had to make in a split second.
Overall his game was great and one bad thing should not in any way take our mind off the great game he did play.

soupman
05-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Probably should have grabbed it and let the momentum carry him over the line, but I can't blame him. Probably the most inconvenient situation he'll ever find himself in, and I know if it was me I'd have no idea what to do.

His goal made up for any error though, an absolute beauty.

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Pick up the ball.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-04-2009, 07:42 PM

You've just managed to say in one sentence..what I struggled to say in about 5 sentences.:)

bulldogtragic
05-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Fumble it across the line, or pick it up and try to carry the tackle across the line, or pick it up and 'bork' the ball across the line accidentally.

For starters. A bit of a brain fade.

I love the new rule.

Throughandthrough
05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
And after he had rushed through, turn around quickly, keep running, and act surprised when the goal umpire deemed he had crossed the line...

Mantis
05-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Pick the ball up at the last moment as he would have been tackled straight away and the momentum of the tackle would have taken him through for a point.

G-Mo77
05-04-2009, 08:27 PM
The stupid rule has caused to much indecision, no one knows if it is going to be paid or not. He should have just been able to bang it through. But the rule is there if he picked it up or attempted to and went over the line it would have been OK.

The rule, if it HAD to be changed should have been made last year not 4 - 5 weeks before the start of the seaosn.

AndrewP6
05-04-2009, 08:31 PM
He should've picked the ball up...looked stupid just watching it...could well have cost us the game...and he was under pressure so it shouldn't have counted as deliberately rushed... it's a dumb rule and penalty...still Addo should've done something...thought he was in a North jumper for a moment! Anyway he played a good game apart from that

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 08:38 PM
In press conference: Rocket said something along the lines of 'Should of just gone for it and let it go over the line - couldnt ping him for that' Wasn't happy with it, a 'gift wrapped goal' for them and 'practiced before at training' <- but much harder to do with pressure and when the game is there to be won

Press Conference:
http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/117825

BornInDroopSt'54
05-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Agree he should have picked up the ball and used his momentum to carry him across the line. However I think he had a second option. Isn't it the case that you can bump a player (fairly, not in the back etc) within 5 mtrs of the ball? It used to be true if it's not now. If it is still true, then he could have bumped the Nth player or protected the ball from the players foot by putting himself between them, even by falling to the ground. If the player still kicked, Addison may have got a free.
Any way he played a very good game, with great attack on the ball. It's ironic that this mistake was to not attack the ball. WE WON!!! YAHOO!!!

hujsh
05-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Agree he should have picked up the ball and used his momentum to carry him across the line. However I think he had a second option. Isn't it the case that you can bump a player (fairly, not in the back etc) within 5 mtrs of the ball? It used to be true if it's not now. If it is still true, then he could have bumped the Nth player or protected the ball from the players foot by putting himself between them, even by falling to the ground. If the player still kicked, Addison may have got a free.
Any way he played a very good game, with great attack on the ball. It's ironic that this mistake was to not attack the ball. WE WON!!! YAHOO!!!

He bumped the Roo but he still managed to tap the ball through for the goal

Mofra
05-04-2009, 09:18 PM
or pick it up and 'bork' the ball across the line accidentally.
Baulk? I though he tried but didn't realise he had opponents closing so fast

bulldogtragic
05-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Baulk? I though he tried but didn't realise he had opponents closing so fast
Mofra,

I meant pick it up, sell some candy by throwing his right hand out with the ball in it which accidentally crossed the line as he ran off and then act shocked about it. Either way if he picked it up and was tackled it would've been a non issue.

The best thing is we still won and i'm sure no WBFC player will make the same mistake again.

Mofra
05-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Don;t think he had that much time, probably a lack of talk from his teammates too. If he knew, shoul have kicked it across, no ump would have pinged him (if they did, there'd be 10 columns in the paper about it and we'd get a good ride from the umpires next week).

NoParkingOnMatchDays
05-04-2009, 09:52 PM
The players that I love are the ones that don't think and just do. I reckon I could hear the cogs ticking over from young Dylan up the back of the southern stand. Next time he is caught in that position he'll pick the ball up with enough momentum to end up in the car park.

ledge
05-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Saw Eades press conference, said he knew what to do as they had gone through the scenario.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Fumble it across the line, or pick it up and try to carry the tackle across the line, or pick it up and 'bork' the ball across the line accidentally.

I must say it looked bad and was a easy one to deal with, pick it up and then get tackled from behind which would push you in the back over the line.

I'm sure that 15 teams will be watching this footage tomorrow. Also the 22 Bulldogs players, kind of the thing that we expect from B.Lake.;)

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Saw Eades press conference, said he knew what to do as they had gone through the scenario.

Yeah saw him talking about that..but with more pressure and the game to be won? All he was thinking about is the stupid rule and obviously had no idea what to do..

strebla
05-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I must say it looked bad and was a easy one to deal with, pick it up and then get tackled from behind which would push you in the back over the line.

I'm sure that 15 teams will be watching this footage tomorrow. Also the 22 Bulldogs players, kind of the thing that we expect from B.Lake.;)

B.Lake has been the cornerstone of our backline for the last 3 years he has been unbelievable how much s##t would we be without him. I will take the occasional brainfade over no B.Lake at all

Bumper Bulldogs
05-04-2009, 10:21 PM
B.Lake has been the cornerstone of our backline for the last 3 years he has been unbelievable how much s##t would we be without him. I will take the occasional brainfade over no B.Lake at all

Don't take in wrong, I love the guy. Just at times I expect these things from Brian. He's the Richo of the Whitten Oval.

The Coon Dog
05-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Don't take in wrong, I love the guy. Just at times I expect these things from Brian. He's the Richo of the Whitten Oval.

Dennis Commetti once referred to him as Brain Leak. :D

Bumper Bulldogs
05-04-2009, 10:41 PM

He was water tight today, shades of his B&F year in 06.:)

strebla
05-04-2009, 11:12 PM

I know this would be right up your alley Coon Dog but over the last 2 years what has been his ave goal against I doubt it is more than 2.5. I am not sure but if I am even close 15 other clubs would take that .

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Mantis summed up the Dylan's option perfectly.

I was sitting up high directly behind the goals and could see the situation unfolding (in slow motion - if that makes sense). All I could hope for was for Dylan to bend down and grab the ball, and let the opposition tackle him.

Leaning forward (leaving himself of balance) & momentum when tackled would have seen him across the line.

If free kicked - no worse of.

It's great being a grand stand expert - I probably could have kicked or saved 5 goals from where I was positioned today.

Sockeye Salmon
06-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I know this would be right up your alley Coon Dog but over the last 2 years what has been his ave goal against I doubt it is more than 2.5. I am not sure but if I am even close 15 other clubs would take that .

Brian's goals against over the last few years - even his B & F year - has been really high.

This has been because of a combination of who he plays against (always gets the tough jobs), never spends time up forward or on the bench, is prepared to attack and go for his marks and run off his opponent and our woeful lack of midfield pressure (previously).

mighty_west
06-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Dylan will hopefully learn from this, he buggered it up.

It's a great rule, and from what i have seen so far, 95% of the times, the defender has been able to clear the ball without giving the oppositon a free score, we will no longer see Lake handball through the sticks from 10 metres out as an easy way out, he will benefit from this rule more than anyone.

Under extreme pressure, we will also see more contests at the 50 mark, and that has to be a good thing for the game, just like you see a midfielder get the ball and just kick out of hope at times to their forward 50, again, making it a contest.

Ozza
06-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Its a terrible rule. And the Addison moment really summed up why it is so bad.

Stupidly - the league I play in has adopted the rule also this year. As a back pocket - it will take some getting used to thats for sure! Had a praccie on the weekend - and it is really confusing what to do at times. Especially when the ball is bouncing through the goals and you can't grab it in time only push it through.

Sedat
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Brian's goals against over the last few years - even his B & F year - has been really high.

This has been because of a combination of who he plays against (always gets the tough jobs), never spends time up forward or on the bench, is prepared to attack and go for his marks and run off his opponent and our woeful lack of midfield pressure (previously).
Agree with all of the above, but Lake's goals-against numbers really suffered in seasons 2004 to 2007 because he had little or no cover from his midfielders or fellow defenders peeling back to help him out. By contrast, someone like Rutten might get caught one-out with his direct opponent maybe 3-4 times a match at most - the rest of the time he has defensive cover from his mids and also from his fellow defenders creating 2 or 3-on-1 contests with the opposition gun forward. On the flipside, Lake invariably got stuck one-out with hs direct opponents seemingly once every 5 minutes because our defenders (especially before Morris came onto the scene) did not peel off to support in a marking contest often enough, and our midfielders offered virtually no defensive cover because they were too busy running ahead of the play.

Sockeye Salmon
06-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Dylan will hopefully learn from this, he buggered it up.

It's a great rule, and from what i have seen so far, 95% of the times, the defender has been able to clear the ball without giving the oppositon a free score, we will no longer see Lake handball through the sticks from 10 metres out as an easy way out, he will benefit from this rule more than anyone.

Under extreme pressure, we will also see more contests at the 50 mark, and that has to be a good thing for the game, just like you see a midfielder get the ball and just kick out of hope at times to their forward 50, again, making it a contest.

It's a terrible rule, but that has nothing to do with what Addison did or didn't do.

It's a terrible rule because it makes it that little bit harder for defenders to defend, just like the majority of the other 4,000 rules they've brought in. Flooding or zoning is a more viable tactic because coaches can't rely on defenders to beat their immediate opponents, the odds are stacked too far against them.

The only way to stop a decent forward these days is to double- or triple-team them.

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 05:05 PM
I have a bad feeling this rule is going to cost somebody a finals game this year. I just hope its not us.

craigsahibee
06-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Its a terrible rule. And the Addison moment really summed up why it is so bad.

Stupidly - the league I play in has adopted the rule also this year. As a back pocket - it will take some getting used to thats for sure! Had a praccie on the weekend - and it is really confusing what to do at times. Especially when the ball is bouncing through the goals and you can't grab it in time only push it through.

I'm sure if that happens you will not get done for a deliberate rushed behind. If you are unable to grab it it will simply be called a rushed behind. NOT ALL RUSHED BEHINDS ARE DELIBERATE AND PUNISHED WITH A FREE KICK. As far as rule changes go, I think it's one of the better ones.

mighty_west
06-04-2009, 05:14 PM
It's a terrible rule, but that has nothing to do with what Addison did or didn't do.

It's a terrible rule because it makes it that little bit harder for defenders to defend, just like the majority of the other 4,000 rules they've brought in. Flooding or zoning is a more viable tactic because coaches can't rely on defenders to beat their immediate opponents, the odds are stacked too far against them.

The only way to stop a decent forward these days is to double- or triple-team them.

It creates packs, which creates contests, something i believe is great for the game.

mighty_west
06-04-2009, 05:17 PM
I have a bad feeling this rule is going to cost somebody a finals game this year. I just hope its not us.

Saying this may cost a team or that may cost a team in finals is just a cop out to me, the good teams win finals on merit, and the good teams adjust to anything thats put in place.

The rule is a good one, players can still punch a ball through in a contest, that is not going to be awarded a free kick, it will ONLY be a free when a player just takes the easy option by handballing or walking it through, and when not in any real danger, made the game look bad because of it, Joel Bowden & Hawthorn did that last year, and it looked shocking!

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 05:22 PM

I agree, but unfortunately the fine art of borking seems lost to the game. Back in the day, any coach worth his beer tokens would emphasise the efficiency of a well-timed bork. As my old borking coach used to say, "Look, if you're near the boundary, just go the bork, the BORK! Nothin' fancy, don't think about taking possession- for chrissakes, don't even think- just bork it!"

When you watch players train these days it's all kicking, handballing, marking, tackling, and running- but no borking. Geez, you'll see Dylan Addison score from outside 50 with a mongrel droppy before you see another bork.

And who's our farnarkling coach these days? Why the hell aren't we leading the comp in farnarkling?

Happy Days
06-04-2009, 07:12 PM
I agree, but unfortunately the fine art of borking seems lost to the game. Back in the day, any coach worth his beer tokens would emphasise the efficiency of a well-timed bork. As my old borking coach used to say, "Look, if you're near the boundary, just go the bork, the BORK! Nothin' fancy, don't think about taking possession- for chrissakes, don't even think- just bork it!"

When you watch players train these days it's all kicking, handballing, marking, tackling, and running- but no borking. Geez, you'll see Dylan Addison score from outside 50 with a mongrel droppy before you see another bork.

And who's our farnarkling coach these days? Why the hell aren't we leading the comp in farnarkling?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a bork?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a bork?

I presume he meant balk. To make an incomplete or misleading motion.

mighty_west
06-04-2009, 07:31 PM

Boomer Harvey is a master at it, Brett Peake also.

hujsh
06-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Rodan too

LostDoggy
06-04-2009, 10:51 PM
He could hav punched it into the goal post and claim it was accidental and wanted to keep it in play? Haha
Well, he only had 2 seconds to think, so what else could u do in that amount of time?

Happy Days
07-04-2009, 02:02 AM
Ohh righto.

Yeah Rodan has been often quoted as the best "stepper" in the AFL. I reckon that Griffen bloke goes alright too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2tUpQCFWX0

BornInDroopSt'54
07-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Learn some spelling why don't you, its spelt 'bjork', coming from the famous singer's pirowets when she screams out the high notes, as in 'his bjorking left everyone in his wake.' Not to be confused with 'bonking'.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-04-2009, 01:01 PM

Learn some spelling why don't you, its spelt 'bjork', coming from the famous singer's pirowets when she screams out the high notes, as in 'his bjorking left everyone in his wake.' Not to be confused with 'bonking'.