PDA

View Full Version : Top Draftee In Trouble

Go_Dogs
08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
One high-profile Victorian club is very angry at one of its star draftees. And it’s not over something trivial like a push and shove in a bar or nightclub. It is alleged that the star recruit was involved in a gang invasion of a house where baseball bats and machetes were used. It happened in his home state before last year’s draft and my contacts in that state tell me the courts have been extremely harsh in judging similar cases. He is likely to be charged with assault and in all probability may go to jail. One insider at the club told me that if the club had known “we would have gone down a different track and recruited someone else”. Maybe the AFL should demand full disclosure form draftees in future. It would be pretty crook if you were to draft somebody and he was to suddenly say “I’ll see you in 18 months when I get out”

http://insidefootballonline.com/crackers.html

Seems we're getting closer and closer to the NBA, if this is true...

Desipura
08-04-2009, 03:02 PM
after some investigation, its not too dificult to figure who it is

bulldogsman
08-04-2009, 03:06 PM
after some investigation, its not too dificult to figure who it is

Yarran?

The Coon Dog
08-04-2009, 03:07 PM
High profile, you would deduce Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon.

Not too difficult at all Desipura. Maybe it's Harry Cairns?

bulldogtragic
08-04-2009, 03:19 PM
And to think I thought Ayce was a nice boy :)

Go_Dogs
08-04-2009, 03:28 PM
High profile, you would deduce Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon.

Not too difficult at all Desipura. Maybe it's Harry Cairns?

Yes, that would be my guess too. Not many other from interstate, now playing in Victoria draftees that fit the bill.

Going to be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

LostDoggy
08-04-2009, 03:41 PM
thank god it is not cordy otherwise we may have to wait another 10 years for a KPP

Dazza
08-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Ayce could do with a little time with nothing to focus on but bulking up to be honest :p haha

Happy Days
08-04-2009, 06:32 PM

At least no one OD'd the night after the draft.

It's Yarran yeah?

AndrewP6
08-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Yarran...hmm... oh well who cares...

If it was Ayce, he'd come out of the clink weighing about 120kg...

Remi Moses
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Laurence Angwin Anyone?

alwaysadog
08-04-2009, 10:20 PM
One high-profile Victorian club is very angry at one of its star draftees. And it’s not over something trivial like a push and shove in a bar or nightclub. It is alleged that the star recruit was involved in a gang invasion of a house where baseball bats and machetes were used. It happened in his home state before last year’s draft and my contacts in that state tell me the courts have been extremely harsh in judging similar cases. He is likely to be charged with assault and in all probability may go to jail. One insider at the club told me that if the club had known “we would have gone down a different track and recruited someone else”. Maybe the AFL should demand full disclosure form draftees in future. It would be pretty crook if you were to draft somebody and he was to suddenly say “I’ll see you in 18 months when I get out”

http://insidefootballonline.com/crackers.html

How much do you think is true and how much is hype to sell papers?

Some high profile recruit is in trouble, but is it as extreme as it has been made to sound?

If it's gospel why no name?

To broaden the discussion, how well do we think clubs handle kids from less than ideal backgrounds?

AndrewP6
08-04-2009, 10:24 PM
How much do you think is true and how much is hype to sell papers?

Some high profile recruit is in trouble, but is it as extreme as it has been made to sound?

If it's gospel why no name?

Probably a bit of both... there'd be some truth to it... the recruit may not be as "high profile" as they'd have us believe... of course it has been hyped, embellished, exaggerated... that's called "journalism"

The Coon Dog
08-04-2009, 10:53 PM
To broaden the discussion, how well do we think clubs handle kids from less than ideal backgrounds?

This will really give you some kind of understanding:

Ezra Bray - A sad Story (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1435)

alwaysadog
08-04-2009, 11:28 PM
This will really give you some kind of understanding:

Ezra Bray - A sad Story (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1435)

Didn't need to be reminded of the cost some pay for their participation in our pleasure. Sad is such an inadequate word; there but for fortune might have gone your or my son.

LostDoggy
08-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Ayce could do with a little time with nothing to focus on but bulking up to be honest :p haha

very true lol

LostDoggy
10-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Any more news on this story, who is the player concerned?

LostDoggy
10-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Any more news on this story, who is the player concerned?

I haven't heard anything about it since. I guess it wasn't true. If it was you'd think the media would jump all over it because of the other headlines in the media atm. Unless there's something legally stopping them from printing it.

wb_age
10-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I haven't heard anything about it since. I guess it wasn't true. If it was you'd think the media would jump all over it because of the other headlines in the media atm. Unless there's something legally stopping them from printing it.
Nothing would stop that scumbag Hutchy.

The Underdog
11-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Nothing would stop that scumbag Hutchy.

Some club's have some pretty powerful people behind them though. Some people with oh I don't know, billions of dollars. That can hush things up pretty quickly.
I don't know about the validity of this story but I wouldn't doubt the ability of a club to hush it up despite certain news (and I use the term loosely) reporters.

The Coon Dog
21-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Got the 'MX' on the way home tonight. Bold front page headline:

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/scan0002.jpg

Sockeye Salmon
21-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Forget who he is.

A $4000 fine for a gang of 8 who beat up a bloke who was already on the ground with fence pailings. FFS, what has our legal system come to?

Prospect of rehabilitation my arse, that should have been jail time.

hujsh
21-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Forget who he is.

A $4000 fine for a gang of 8 who beat up a bloke who was already on the ground with fence pailings. FFS, what has our legal system come to?

A cousin of mine burnt a school down and got community service.

Didn't even do it.

The Coon Dog
21-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Forget who he is.

Your Worship,

My clients actions are those of a severely disadvantaged young man, with a social upbringing to be pitted. Amongst other things Your Worship he didn't even get the red smarties as a child!

Your Worship, this young man deeply regrets his actions, plays football for one of the countries high profile clubs where he is surrounded by role models who can guide him.

Quite frankly my client understands the gravity of the situation & I believe his prospects for rehabilitation have been guaranteed by his club President, who has undertaken to school my client & provide him with an ambassadorial role in one of the countries largest companies.

Oh, did I mention he plays for $#@&*?! ?

No, why didn't you say so old boy! Rap over the knuckles say what. Next!

Dancin' Douggy
22-04-2009, 12:05 AM
So he's pleaded guilty in a court of law and still can't be named publicly?

GVGjr
22-04-2009, 06:51 AM
So he's pleaded guilty in a court of law and still can't be named publicly?

He was underage at the time.

alwaysadog
22-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Andrew won't be pleased.

While this is a hopelessly inadequate sentence what options do we have? I suspect the Magistrate is equally appalled and frustrated

All the research shows that jailing young people just brings them into contact with more serious offenders and advances their education about anti social pursuits. Send them to jail as petty crims and they come out ready to adopt crime as a life style.

LostDoggy
22-04-2009, 09:28 AM
The other issue is that with the over representation of Aboriginal people being jailed, they judicial system is trying to find other alternatives.

alwaysadog
22-04-2009, 09:40 AM
The other issue is that with the over representation of Aboriginal people being jailed, the judicial system is trying to find other alternatives.

Yes we really have to address this issue as a matter of priority. If we can solve this it will probably lead us towards the solution to the other associated problem.

Go_Dogs
22-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Forget who he is.

Even if he was convicted he would have had his sentence suspended.

Yes, it was a fairly serious crime, but he was a minor and from what I can tell, no one actually died. There is no mention of previous criminal history either, so it would seem safe to assume there isn't anything.

I must admit, given the aggravated nature of the attack, I'm surprised that he did not receive a conviction, term of imprisonment and then have it suspended on a good behaviour bond.

However first offences will very rarely relate in a custodial sentence unless they are very serious.

LostDoggy
22-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Is this something that affects our common interest or more just news relating to football in general.

Sockeye Salmon
22-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Is this something that affects our common interest or more just news relating to football in general.

It's not a Bulldog player if that's what you mean

alwaysadog
22-04-2009, 09:01 PM

"Common" in the way you use it could have several meanings depending how wide a cover you were intending the "we" to have.

It could be the interest all the posters have in common ie the Western Bulldogs, or it could mean the interests we as a society have in common.

To the first I would say only that to the best of my knowedge the player referred to is not on the WB's list, and that the episode shows all the AFL induction/education etc has limited impact, but that's hardly a surprise. It was never intended to put brains into monuments.

Do we as a club have issues with the conduct of some of our recent recruits? Well Rocket has spoken at length about last years batch creating plenty of problems. All have shown improvement and most have settled down, but I suspect one is not yet out of the woods.

hujsh
22-04-2009, 09:35 PM
"Common" in the way you use it could have several meanings depending how wide a cover you were intending the "we" to have.

It could be the interest all the posters have in common ie the Western Bulldogs, or it could mean the interests we as a society have in common.

To the first I would say only that to the best of my knowedge the player referred to is not on the WB's list, and that the episode shows all the AFL induction/education etc has limited impact, but that's hardly a surprise. It was never intended to put brains into monuments.

Do we as a club have issues with the conduct of some of our recent recruits? Well Rocket has spoken at length about last years batch creating plenty of problems. All have shown improvement and most have settled down, but I suspect one is not yet out of the woods.

2008 draft? (Cordy Roughead Jones?)

GVGjr
22-04-2009, 09:37 PM
2008 draft? (Cordy Roughead Jones?)

I think you know AAD is actually referring to the year before.

hujsh
22-04-2009, 09:39 PM
I think you know AAD is actually referring to the year before.

I didn't actually. But based on Ledge's comment that was deleted i can guess

GVGjr
22-04-2009, 09:40 PM
The player concerned is not a Bulldogs recruit however, the reason his name is being suppressed is because he was underage at the time of the incident and therefore legally cannot be named.

Lets not continue with any witch hunt.

ledge
22-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I didn't actually. But based on Ledge's comment that was deleted i can guess

Actually i was only joking when i put post up because of the way it was written but yeah i see why it was deleted.
Sorry guys

GVGjr
22-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Actually i was only joking when i put post up because of the way it was written but yeah i see why it was deleted.
Sorry guys

And the fact that you messed up the quote as well.

The article clearly states that he is a minor at the time of the incident and if the media won't name him then we can't either.

alwaysadog
22-04-2009, 10:39 PM
I apologise if what I wrote in any way lead to a breach of our standards, that was not my intention ... and GVG, you are correct in assuming that I was referring to the draft before the current one.

GVGjr
22-04-2009, 10:42 PM
I apologise if what I wrote in any way lead to a breach of our standards, that was not my intention ... and GVG, you are correct in assuming that I was referring to the draft before the current one.

No problems at all but speculation of the player and or the club had started and I just needed to remind people that if the media won't name the player because he was a minor at the time, then we can't either.

LostDoggy
23-04-2009, 09:12 AM
It's not a Bulldog player if that's what you mean

Thanks SS that was what I was meaning. Without reffering to it directly.