PDA

View Full Version : The Bald Eagle

Pages : 1 2 [3]

hujsh
20-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Either way, i had no idea a simple 'well done' thread to Nathan would be one of the biggest ever threads. 500 posts and still going!

Better to have one massive Eagle thread then 20 smaller ones i suppose.

Drunken Bum
20-09-2009, 05:32 PM
I think Eagle has been servicable in patches this year, with some very good and very poor either side. I think he could stay on the vet's and i wouldn't have too much of an issue as his skills are in short supply. But that said, we have salary cap issues and every little bit adds up, so if we want to get some new players we need every penny. On that poin, he may have to go despite the vet's list benefit.

Either way, i had no idea a simple 'well done' thread to Nathan would be one of the biggest ever threads. 500 posts and still going!

The other thing we need to remember is that if Eagle goes on the vet list, even though half of his contract isnt under the cap we still have to pay it, what we dont pay there would free up extra money to pay someone else as what is it an ambassador or something? I believe we are paying $250k or so under what we are allowed for that. I would expect he would have to take a decent paycut if he was to stay on.

That said i thought that apart from a very ordinary 6 weeks or so towards the end of the H&A he had a pretty good season the bald eagle and wish him the best regardless of what happens, he has never been my fave player and i have been guilty of scapegoating him on more than one occasion but he has been a pretty decent servant for our great club

boydogs
20-09-2009, 05:45 PM
The other thing we need to remember is that if Eagle goes on the vet list, even though half of his contract isnt under the cap we still have to pay it, what we dont pay there would free that money up extra money to pay some of the money to someone else as what is it an ambassador or something? I believe we are paying $250k or so under what we are allowed for that.

Good point. That does it for mine, Eagle retired or traded if there is outside interest and he wants to go on

bulldogsman
21-09-2009, 12:15 PM
I think we should trade Eagleton for pick 50ish like Port did with Montgomery. Collingwood need a bit of experience and have a history of picking up older players. Maybe even O'Keefe and Eagleton for Hall?

Mofra
21-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I think we should trade Eagleton for pick 50ish like Port did with Montgomery. Collingwood need a bit of experience and have a history of picking up older players. Maybe even O'Keefe and Eagleton for Hall?
Name one club that would trade him in for pick 50?

bulldogtragic
21-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Not even cheap as chips would do that.

bulldogsman
21-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Name one club that would trade him in for pick 50?

What price range is he in, pick 80ish?

EDIT - Forget I said anything I thought both Leigh Brown and Montgomery were traded but they were delisted first.

Sedat
21-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I thought he was cooked at the end of 2008, but his 2009 was largely very good (save for a non-competitive patch of 6 weeks around July/Aug). Thanks for the 10 years of service but I believe it is time to say goodbye to the Bald one. If he does get another 12 months, I can imagine this thread reaching the 100 page mark before too long...

GVGjr
21-09-2009, 06:06 PM
I thought he was cooked at the end of 2008, but his 2009 was largely very good (save for a non-competitive patch of 6 weeks around July/Aug). Thanks for the 10 years of service but I believe it is time to say goodbye to the Bald one. If he does get another 12 months, I can imagine this thread reaching the 100 page mark before too long...

You go to the footy with Mantis don't you? ;)
I thought he had a copy right on that expression. :)

strebla
23-09-2009, 05:12 PM
I am in no way an Ego fan but will say in patches he played some very good footy this year I think his time is up but it will not surprise me if he gets another year!!

The Doctor
23-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Eagle for Hall is not the silliest suggestion I've heard.

BulldogBelle
08-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Time to move on with dignity. I think he'll be in and out if he continues....and he'd be keeping out a Ried or a Wood, maybe a O'Keefe, than we can get 200 games out of. Sorry Eagle....name to often from absent from the best in games where we've struggled or lost. A bit of a "flat track bully".

bulldogtragic
08-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Time to move on with dignity. I think he'll be in and out if he continues....and he'd be keeping out a Ried or a Wood, maybe a O'Keefe, than we can get 200 games out of. Sorry Eagle....name to often from absent from the best in games where we've struggled or lost. A bit of a "flat track bully".
O'Keefe 200 games... even 2 games.... What odd's are you paying on this? :)

BulldogBelle
08-10-2009, 04:55 PM
O'Keefe 200 games... even 2 games.... What odd's are you paying on this? :)

Yes, now I'm on here I'm starting to find out a bit more about young O'Keeffe.....and why he wasn't getting a game. But back on topic, Eagle won't play 22 games next year, that's for sure. How much do we want to pay him out of a tight budget for 12?

bulldogtragic
08-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Yes, now I'm on here I'm starting to find out a bit more about young O'Keeffe.....and why he wasn't getting a game. But back on topic, Eagle won't play 22 games next year, that's for sure. How much do we want to pay him out of a tight budget for 12?
Valid argument HS, i don't see 22 games next year either. The counter argument is we have no other quick-ish outside gut running players who can bust zones. And he qualifies for the vet's list and the players and coaches love him. Budget permitting i think he stays as say $90,000 counts to the cap, a new rookie adding nothing doesn't cost too much more. But if it's Aker or Eagle, there's no hesitation form me...

Sedat
08-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Eagle won't play 22 games next year, that's for sure.
He won't be getting another 12 month contract to fill the roster at Willy. The fact that he has not been dropped for poor form since Rocket has come to the club suggests to me that Rocket is a big fan of his, so expect to see plenty of the Bald One in 2010 if he gets another contract.

azabob
08-10-2009, 07:41 PM

He won't be getting another 12 month contract to fill the roster at Willy. The fact that he has not been dropped for poor form since Rocket has come to the club suggests to me that Rocket is a big fan of his, so expect to see plenty of the Bald One in 2010 if he gets another contract.

Couldnt agree more Sedat. Most all of us suggested Eagleton would struggle for game time this year but clearly he did not.

1eyedog
08-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Couldnt agree more Sedat. Most all of us suggested Eagleton would struggle for game time this year but clearly he did not.

Eagleton will play at least 18 games next year because Eade loves him. The loss of McMahon and Ray over the past few years have left a void of outside running players who create space by gut running. Eade likes him in the side as a receiver and if he plays on he'll play the majority of next season I would imagine.

Remi Moses
08-10-2009, 09:06 PM
The problem is if we keep the eagle it means less games for the younger players! Do we really want a scenario of 4 retirees in one season???

alwaysadog
08-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Eagle won't play 22 games next year, that's for sure. How much do we want to pay him out of a tight budget for 12?

I acknowledge the logic, but I would have said the same thing this time last year, so I'll await the deadline. While I'm critical at times, of the coach, when both the coach and the playing group are aligned I reckon they know something that isn't obvious to us.

Sedat
09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
With Everitt staying, have we seen the last of the Bald One???

bornadog
09-10-2009, 02:37 PM

Why would that make a difference?

Sockeye Salmon
09-10-2009, 02:47 PM

Do we have the cap room for Everitt, Eagle, Aker and Reid?

The Coon Dog
09-10-2009, 02:48 PM

Because we're pretty tight salary cap wise.

Had we traded Everitt for a pick, it would have freed up a few $$$$.

LostDoggy
09-10-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't think Reid and Everitt cost that much.

How does the veterans list work anyway?

bornadog
09-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Because we're pretty tight salary cap wise.

Had we traded Everitt for a pick, it would have freed up a few $$$$.

True if you are balancing the budget, but Everitt is already in there with a two year deal.

I bet we keep both Aker and Eagle and all the talk is about justifying why they should get less money.

Jasper
10-10-2009, 08:30 PM

Not sure if Everitt has the tank to do Eagle's run all day role. Hill might though, with Hall up fwd, maybe Hill is realeased to do Eagle's role.

Can't see much of a spot for Everitt unless injuries intervene. Personally would like him tried up forward to replace Welsh, with Hall filling Hill/Hahn's role, Hill to wing, Eagle to pasture.

LostDoggy
10-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Not sure if Everitt has the tank to do Eagle's run all day role. Hill might though, with Hall up fwd, maybe Hill is realeased to do Eagle's role.

Can't see much of a spot for Everitt unless injuries intervene. Personally would like him tried up forward to replace Welsh, with Hall filling Hill/Hahn's role, Hill to wing, Eagle to pasture.

I think youre onto something there.

Hill has reportedly got a huge tank so he may be able to do the 'gut running' thats required. kicking penetration may be an issue for him.....

jazzadogs
11-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I think youre onto something there.

Hill has reportedly got a huge tank so he may be able to do the 'gut running' thats required. kicking penetration may be an issue for him.....
I'd say 'gut running' is more an attitude thing, than necessarily determined by a player's aerobic capacity. However, I also remember Hill getting the highest (?) score in the VO2 max so IF he develops the mental drive to do the 'gut running', then he should be able to. But from what I've seen of Hill, I'm not sure how likely such development is.

Also agree re: kicking penetration, which is undoubtedly one of Eagleton's greatest assets.

I don't see why Hill can't be on one wing, Eagle on the other.

Jasper
11-10-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't see why Hill can't be on one wing, Eagle on the other.

I kind of like Griffin on the other wing, although his kicking worries me.

Doc26
12-10-2009, 02:07 PM

I would doubt it very much without some creative accounting.

How little would Aker be prepared to play on for ?

Sockeye Salmon
12-10-2009, 02:09 PM
How little would Aker be prepared to play on for ?

Supposed to have agreed to $230K - the AFL average wage.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Jebus. That's a fair pay cut. Must really want that 4th Premiership medallion.

Doc26
12-10-2009, 02:20 PM

Wonder if that was pre failing to move Dre on ?

Ozza
20-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I may have missed something along the way in teh last few days....but do we know whether Fumbles has been signed up for another year.

I'm completely on the fence on whether he should get another year...really tough call...

Bulldog Joe
20-10-2009, 03:36 PM
I may have missed something along the way in teh last few days....but do we know whether Fumbles has been signed up for another year. I'm completely on the fence on whether he should get another year...really tough call...

I am pretty sure McPhee is still going round with Essendon in 2010

bulldogtragic
20-10-2009, 04:48 PM
I'd like to think one of a few guys to have played over 200 games for the FFC/WBFC could get a decent level of respect at this time. Very tough way to go out, especially if the coaches think he can play on.

LostDoggy
20-10-2009, 04:48 PM
I am pretty sure McPhee is still going round with Essendon in 2010

Funny!

McPhee is such an enigma isn't he. If he didn't have such bad hands and wasn't so stupid, he would be a gun. He's got all the tools and looks a likely sort but is just always one step or one stupid decision away from being an absolute dud.

Ozza
20-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I'd like to think one of a few guys to have played over 200 games for the FFC/WBFC could get a decent level of respect at this time. Very tough way to go out, especially if the coaches think he can play on.

To play devils advocate - if Scott West is retired before he felt it was his time - then there shouldn't be any sentimentality attached to Eagleton.

I agree he has made a big contribution to the place. But plenty of club stalwarts and even legends have been shown the door of late around the AFL. Its just the reality.

ratsmac
20-10-2009, 05:23 PM
To play devils advocate - if Scott West is retired before he felt it was his time - then there shouldn't be any sentimentality attached to Eagleton.

I agree he has made a big contribution to the place. But plenty of club stalwarts and even legends have been shown the door of late around the AFL. Its just the reality.

Scott West did have a suspect knee though, and only played 5 or so games last year. I know what your saying, but i think Eagleton is probably in better shape than Scott was at the time of decision making on their respective retirements. If the coaches think he has plenty to give to the team next year, then let him play because we don't have to many that can kick those 50+ metre goals on a regular basis. I would have love to see Scotty go around another year though.

Ozza
20-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Don't get me wrong - ratsmac - I'm not saying whether he should be delisted or not or if he still adds value to the side - and I'm not against him getting another year - I'm just saying sentimentality shouldn't come into it.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2009, 05:44 PM

I agree on the issue of having no sentimentality. But the coaches said 'NO' to Westy. The coaches appear to have said 'YES'* to Nathan. * Subject to salary cap room.

When the coaches, club and yourself think you still have footy but you get denied, hat would hurt more I imagine. It's not sentimentality, it's the reality that everyone thinks you're good enough but they can't pay you. Different issue.

Mantis
20-10-2009, 07:15 PM
I agree on the issue of having no sentimentality. But the coaches said 'NO' to Westy. The coaches appear to have said 'YES'* to Nathan. * Subject to salary cap room.

When the coaches, club and yourself think you still have footy but you get denied, hat would hurt more I imagine. It's not sentimentality, it's the reality that everyone thinks you're good enough but they can't pay you. Different issue.

Not everyone. :D

Go_Dogs
20-10-2009, 07:44 PM

Whilst I agree in theory, Westy was ruined by injury and hadn't had a fantastic year because of that, the coaching staff WANT Eagleton to play on... apples and oranges.

Obviously though, the West situation should have been handled a lot better than it was at the time.

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-10-2009, 09:17 PM

The danger in holding onto Eagleton is that it gives us now 5 players in the age 30 plus bracket. This includes Johnno, Aker, Hall, Hudson and Eagleton. Matched by only the Adelaide Crows in this year's top 8 finalists. Not a good sign when both Geelong and St. Kilda for example have only one player each in the 30 plus category. The unearthing of younger players in Ward, Higgins and Picken has been good but we need to inject more young talent into the side.

Doc26
20-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Agree with Griff on this. If Nathan had experienced the degree of injury that Westy endured throughout '08 and right through to season end there would be no doubt he would've had his farewell match by now. Fortunately he hasn't endured Westy's fate. Scott's fate was sealed through his dodgy knee even though the medicos did give him and the club the all clear at season end.

Sockeye Salmon
20-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Scott's fate was sealed through his dodgy knee even though the medicos did give him and the club the all clear at season end.

That's not true.

The medico's were the one's who said he was done.

Throughandthrough
20-10-2009, 11:07 PM
I'd keep Eagle for sure.

Maybe some people here should have another look at the finals games that we played this season.

Mantis
21-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Maybe some people here should have another look at the finals games that we played this season.

Me?

I have watched all the finals games more than once and besides the Brisbane game where Eagle was given far too much freedom (not sure what they were thinking) his performances weren't that influential.

Doc26
21-10-2009, 09:17 AM
That's not true.

You will find if you delve deeper that this was simply not the case. More than happy to go with my source at the time on this one. At best possibly the medicos were split but certainly not unanimous. As an unabashed Scott West fan the end of season opinion of a highly credentialled club medico brought with it a lot of post season frustration for those aware of this and with how Scott departed. How he handled the situation and his performance at the '08 B&F was magnificent and proved just how much of a champ he is.

Ozza
21-10-2009, 09:17 AM
I'd keep Eagle for sure.

Terrible vs Geelong
Terriffic vs Brisbane
Terrible vs St.Kilda.

Its the usual story where Eagle can be devastating to lesser teams, but seldom has an impact against quality sides. Thats the only concern about him going on.

LostDoggy
21-10-2009, 09:31 AM
You will find if you delve deeper that this was simply not the case. More than happy to go with my source at the time on this one. At best possibly the medicos were split but certainly not unanimous. As an unabashed Scott West fan the end of season opinion of a highly credentialled club medico brought with it a lot of post season frustration for those aware of this and with how Scott departed. How he handled the situation and his performance at the '08 B&F was magnificent and proved just how much of a champ he is.

Even if SS's source is wrong which I highly doubt cos I heard it myself, West was finished medico or no medico. Not sure what the argument is here? It was the right decision.

Doc26
21-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Even if SS's source is wrong which I highly doubt cos I heard it myself, West was finished medico or no medico. Not sure what the argument is here? It was the right decision.

No argument with me. Frustrated with how it ended for Scott but the correct decision was made on grounds not primarily relating to his knee. Ooh and the consensus framed was no doubt that it was largely a medical opinion it's just that I had this countered by one at the coal face.

soupman
21-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Terrible vs Geelong
Terriffic vs Brisbane
Terrible vs St.Kilda.

Its the usual story where Eagle can be devastating to lesser teams, but seldom has an impact against quality sides. Thats the only concern about him going on.

Just on that however in the St.Kilda match it wasn't ideal for a running player at all. St.Kilda shut down space very well as it is, and in that match we were also hell bent on creating a contest which meant it was a scrappy contested match, with little space for Eagleton to use and constant accountability.

LostDoggy
21-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Just on that however in the St.Kilda match it wasn't ideal for a running player at all. St.Kilda shut down space very well as it is, and in that match we were also hell bent on vreating a contest which meant it was a scrappy contested match, with little space for Eagleton to use and constant accountability.

Agreed and he kicked a goal that wasn't given.

EasternWest
21-10-2009, 11:15 AM

Spot on.

EasternWest
21-10-2009, 11:17 AM

Ernie's right. I hated the way it was handled at the time, but it's been clearly proven to have been the correct choice. I'm just glad that it appears the relationship between Scott and the club is still good. It's terrible when champion players and their clubs are involved in public spats.

On more year for Eagle. He's done enough to go again IMO.

The Coon Dog
21-10-2009, 11:22 AM
On more year for Eagle. He's done enough to go again IMO.

I don't think its a decision based on anything other than salary cap affordability. The club may want Eagle to play another year, Eagle may want to play another year, supporters (most) may want Eagle to play another year, but if we can't fit him in, everyone's wants become irrelevant.

Doc26
21-10-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't think its a decision based on anything other than salary cap affordability. The club may want Eagle to play another year, Eagle may want to play another year, supporters (most) may want Eagle to play another year, but if we can't fit him in, everyone's wants become irrelevant.

Spot on. We need to bring ourselves back under our TPP cap after failing to reach an acceptable trade for Andrejs. Assuming this can be achieved Eagle will play on which I suspect will still happen.

EasternWest
21-10-2009, 11:32 AM

Fair point.

Anyone know where we're at with this then?

The Coon Dog
21-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Fair point.

Anyone know where we're at with this then?
Last I heard we were still crunching numbers, but it wasn't looking too good for Eagle.

EasternWest
21-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Last I heard we were still crunching numbers, but it wasn't looking too good for Eagle.

So if he's gawn, who takes his spot?

The Coon Dog
21-10-2009, 11:40 AM
So if he's gawn, who takes his spot?

It's an irrelevant decision in a way. If he stays, we place him on the vets list & someone has to replace him, same deal if he's delisted.

I suppose what I'm saying is we have to replace him one way or the other on the list.

As I understand it, we will have 7 going off the list with 2 rookie elevations (Picken & Mulligan) & 5 draft picks replacing them.

Sockeye Salmon
21-10-2009, 11:43 AM
It's an irrelevant decision in a way. If he stays, we place him on the vets list & someone has to replace him, same deal if he's delisted.

I suppose what I'm saying is we have to replace him one way or the other on the list.

As I understand it, we will have 7 going off the list with 2 rookie elevations (Picken & Mulligan) & 5 draft picks replacing them.

So we've decided against offering Hall a contract then? Are we allowed to do that?

4 draft picks.

EasternWest
21-10-2009, 11:52 AM

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Who replaces him in the 22 if he's gone? Do we try Everitt on the wing etc...

Doc26
21-10-2009, 11:53 AM

This was true last I heard post trade week after the Andrejs float.
I had believed the club was confident in retaining Nathan so your last bit is news to me. Would've thought with some creativity it could still be achieved.

mighty_west
21-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Who replaces him in the 22 if he's gone? Do we try Everitt on the wing etc...

We probably have a few options, the Everitt one like you said, he could even push up foward at times, i'd like to see that.

Sam Reid & Easton Wood are knocking on the door, Reid to be in the midfield mix & play Griffen in a similar role to Eagleton, Wood doesn't seem to have the finishing skills of Nathan, but does run & carry the ball.

Whilst he's still young, Jamason Daniels could also play a similar role, but also need to polish up on the skills, but is a real goer.

LostDoggy
21-10-2009, 02:08 PM
We probably have a few options, the Everitt one like you said, he could even push up foward at times, i'd like to see that.

Sam Reid & Easton Wood are knocking on the door, Reid to be in the midfield mix & play Griffen in a similar role to Eagleton, Wood doesn't seem to have the finishing skills of Nathan, but does run & carry the ball.

Whilst he's still young, Jamason Daniels could also play a similar role, but also need to polish up on the skills, but is a real goer.

I think its always good to bring new blood into the team. I don't think it would be a bad thing with Eagle out of the side (and no i am not and Eagle knocker) i am just thinking for the future of our club as i believe someone like Reid/Wood/Daniels could do the job, although Reid is less of a run and carry player. With big Barry in the forward line now could we maybe push Hill up on to the wing more permanently with another pre-season under his belt?

mighty_west
21-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I think its always good to bring new blood into the team. I don't think it would be a bad thing with Eagle out of the side (and no i am not and Eagle knocker) i am just thinking for the future of our club as i believe someone like Reid/Wood/Daniels could do the job, although Reid is less of a run and carry player. With big Barry in the forward line now could we maybe push Hill up on to the wing more permanently with another pre-season under his belt?

I forgot about Joshy Hill, he's also another option, the good thing about the way Rocket develops players is so they can play in more than just one position, and most positions can be filled by others if required, which is probably a seperate argument with Grant, and him being played out of positon in the Willy side so Rocket doesn't want him to be a one trick pony.

LostDoggy
21-10-2009, 03:28 PM

Is the view any better for Aker?

comrade
21-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Is the view any better for Aker?

If I had to guess, the number crunching would have a lot to do with Aker deciding to play on and we're now having to accomodate his salary (albeit reduced).

GVGjr
21-10-2009, 06:26 PM
That's not true.

Isn't the argument that the club based the final decision on the medico's report and not part of the clubs overall list management.
This is what I think Doc26 is challenging

boydogs
21-10-2009, 09:05 PM
With big Barry in the forward line now could we maybe push Hill up on to the wing more permanently with another pre-season under his belt?

Barry is really just replacing Scott Welsh, but I would like to see Hill up the ground more

LostDoggy
21-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Isn't the argument that the club based the final decision on the medico's report and not part of the clubs overall list management.
This is what I think Doc26 is challenging

I highly doubt the club based the West decision on just a medico's report.

GVGjr
21-10-2009, 09:47 PM

What am I missing here?

Doc26
21-10-2009, 09:53 PM

I do agree although I believe the club in some way embellished the extent of Scott's medical condition to help appease / address the situation they were faced with in retiring a club great who didn't wish for it to end. Although difficult for Scott at the time the right call was made.

Sockeye Salmon
21-10-2009, 10:30 PM

They sure did.

The medico's said his knee was gone, that's it.

Westy was convinced his knee could stand up, the doctors said no, Rocket said "sorry, old chum. They reckon you're done".

Westy has since admitted he was kidding himself. He thought he would be able to go on but has acknowledged the doctors were right.

GVGjr
21-10-2009, 10:32 PM
They sure did.

Westy was convinced his knee could stand up, the doctors said no, Rocket said "sorry, old chum. They reckon you're done".

Westy has since admitted he was kidding himself. He thought he would be able to go on but has acknowledged the doctors were right.

Thanks for the explanation.

LostDoggy
21-10-2009, 10:32 PM
What am I missing here?

Everything.

Doc26
22-10-2009, 11:09 AM
They sure did.

Would like to be able to counter this opinion further, that is, the bolded pieces above that it was a unanimous medico opinion but to do so would mean I would be stepping into an area of in confidence and would be unfair on my legitimate medico source who was particularly aggrieved at the time with how elements of the club did angle it. With that said there must still have existed some reasonable doubt over Scott's capacity to see through '09 uninterrupted after his post season knee op. His age coupled with this risk alone is enough for me to accept that the correct decision was certainly made.

Sockeye Salmon
22-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Would like to be able to counter this opinion further, that is, the bolded pieces above that it was a unanimous medico opinion but to do so would mean I would be stepping into an area of in confidence and would be unfair on my legitimate medico source who was particularly aggrieved at the time with how elements of the club did angle it. With that said there must still have existed some reasonable doubt over Scott's capacity to see through '09 uninterrupted after his post season knee op. His age coupled with this risk alone is enough for me to accept that the correct decision was certainly made.

Ok, so you're saying not all the medicos were in agreement? Interesting.

Doc26
22-10-2009, 01:04 PM

Ok, so you're saying not all the medicos were in agreement? Interesting.

Sockeye, this is what I endeavoured to claim in my initial post on the matter (see above). I do not know the consensus medical view. No doubt it was sold as a consensus medical opinion and quite probably given the circumstances it might well have been but it was certainly not the opinion of one significant medico who was not pleased with the way it had been angled when I had an opportunity to discuss the matter with 'them' around the time of the '08 B&F count. If I should even be so bold I still recall the words post op that "Scott's knee was now as good as it's ever been". However with that said I'm sure the correct decision was still made simply on grounds of risk by age and we've moved onwards and upwards with Scott's credibility where it should be forever remembered.

EasternWest
22-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Sockeye, this is what I endeavoured to claim in my initial post on the matter (see above). I do not know the consensus medical view. No doubt it was sold as a consensus medical opinion and quite probably given the circumstances it might well have been but it was certainly not the opinion of one significant medico who was not pleased with the way it had been angled when I had an opportunity to discuss the matter with 'them' around the time of the '08 B&F count. If I should even be so bold I still recall the words post op that "Scott's knee was now as good as it's ever been". However with that said I'm sure the correct decision was still made simply on grounds of risk by age and we've moved onwards and upwards with Scott's credibility where it should be forever remembered.

Absolutely correct. Remains a club champion, where he should be.

bulldogtragic
22-10-2009, 02:13 PM
As much as a legend as he was, 22 games into Ward this year was and is a no-brainer best outcome.

Doc26
22-10-2009, 02:18 PM
As much as a legend as he was, 22 games into Ward this year was and is a no-brainer best outcome.

A good point. Should we take a learning from this as we list manage for 2010 and beyond ? It does hinge on who we have that could come in and contribute whilst getting valuable game time under them. Ward was maybe a more obvious choice as a replacement of sorts.

EasternWest
22-10-2009, 04:41 PM

You are correct, sir!

Mofra
23-10-2009, 05:26 AM
Ward´s output this year was higher than what Westy´s would have been anyway. I´m sorry to say but he deteriorated very quickly in the body.

EasternWest
23-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Ward´s output this year was higher than what Westy´s would have been anyway. I´m sorry to say but he deteriorated very quickly in the body.

Who doesn't love Ward?

Now back to Eagle. What do we think of the news that some senior players will take a cut to keep him? I think it shows that they value him a lot more than some of us who are quick to diss him (which I am at times, though I try not to be!).

LostDoggy
23-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Why does Johnno get all the cred, who were the other senior players? Quick clarification, are TPP based on contracted price, or actual money that changes hands, i.e. can a player just take 95% of his contract value?

LostDoggy
24-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Why does Johnno get all the cred, who were the other senior players? Quick clarification, are TPP based on contracted price, or actual money that changes hands, i.e. can a player just take 95% of his contract value?

Might have something to do with the great man being our captain!

EasternWest
24-10-2009, 03:00 PM

I think Johnno is getting the credit as it was he on behalf of the players involved that spoke to the club. No doubt the club, and Eagle, are fully aware of exactly who is involved, and due recognition will be given internally.

Throughandthrough
03-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Wed Nov 18, 2pm - Delisted player draft nomination deadline

Still a few weeks to go, as all has been eerily quiet...

boydogs
03-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Wed Nov 18, 2pm - Delisted player draft nomination deadline

Still a few weeks to go, as all has been eerily quiet...

Is that the cutoff for re-signing Aker and Eagle? Not sure either would nominate for the draft if delisted

Throughandthrough
03-11-2009, 08:34 PM
By Friday next week (I think)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/85454/default.aspx

boydogs
03-11-2009, 08:58 PM
By Friday next week (I think)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/85454/default.aspx

Thanks T&T. Maybe TCD or someone else can confirm.
Regardless, the TPP limit is not going to change so once the Oct 30 date was reached and the delistings etc. were done I thought this would have been decided. I guess it must just be up to the players to make a decision on what has been put to them now

The Coon Dog
03-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks T&T. Maybe TCD or someone else can confirm.
Regardless, the TPP limit is not going to change so once the Oct 30 date was reached and the delistings etc. were done I thought this would have been decided. I guess it must just be up to the players to make a decision on what has been put to them now

True, but last week unfortunately James Fantasia's father passed away & he was back in Adelaide, so not too much would have happened.

Offers have been put to Aker & Eagle & the club is awaiting their response.

boydogs
03-11-2009, 09:16 PM
True, but last week unfortunately James Fantasia's father passed away & he was back in Adelaide, so not too much would have happened.

Offers have been put to Aker & Eagle & the club is awaiting their response.

Thanks TCD. I wonder if there will be any element of each player waiting for the other one to jump to see whether they could hold out for a bigger slice if the other retires

LostDoggy
03-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Sure hope 'Eagle' accepts an offer from the dogs as he is a very much required player I think.

Throughandthrough
03-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Sure hope 'Eagle' accepts an offer from the dogs as he is a very much required player I think.

Agreed.

I'd have him in my team everytime.

Sockeye Salmon
03-11-2009, 10:00 PM
I'd actually rather Eagle pulled the pin.

Not for any Eagle-bashing reason but because we are going to lose a whole lot of blokes in a real hurry and I would rather we were getting games into some younger legs. I can understand the 'we're real close right now' arguement but I don't think Eagle is going to give us that much more than a kid would and a kid might just do a Harbrow on us and really kick on faster than we expect.

GVGjr
04-11-2009, 06:32 AM
I'd actually rather Eagle pulled the pin.

Not for any Eagle-bashing reason but because we are going to lose a whole lot of blokes in a real hurry and I would rather we were getting games into some younger legs. I can understand the 'we're real close right now' arguement but I don't think Eagle is going to give us that much more than a kid would and a kid might just do a Harbrow on us and really kick on faster than we expect.

That's how I see it and it's not a bash Eagleton thing. I tend to think he will sign up but it should really come down to either Akermanis or Eagleton.

Throughandthrough
04-11-2009, 06:38 AM
I could accept it if about 7 or 8 senior players retired at the end of 2010, with a premiership medal...

I don't want to come third again. I want the best team possible on the park for next season, and IMHO Eagle and Acka are both in it (easily)

Mofra
04-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Did Eagle lead our inside 50s this year again? That's a fair effort to find a kid to replace that. Easton Wood looks good (the player Eagle supposedly nominated to replace him) but he doesn't have the same depth of kicking and may still be a year away from developing the tank.
Will be interesting to see the team balance if Eagle has a form slump and spends a few weeks at Willy.

Mantis
04-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Did Eagle lead our inside 50s this year again? That's a fair effort to find a kid to replace that. Easton Wood looks good (the player Eagle supposedly nominated to replace him) but he doesn't have the same depth of kicking and may still be a year away from developing the tank.
Will be interesting to see the team balance if Eagle has a form slump and spends a few weeks at Willy.

I am pretty sure he did.

What is interesting to note is that he wasn't in our top 3* for converting inside 50 entries into scoring shots which I believe is the far more important statistic.

* I only know our top 3 so I am not sure how far down on the list he actually was.

LostDoggy
04-11-2009, 09:59 AM
For reference:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii283/brightblue462/2009inside50.png

AndrewP6
04-11-2009, 09:21 PM
For reference:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii283/brightblue462/2009inside50.png

Rather amusingly, the superstar from Geelong is listed as "Gary Jr Ablett"

bulldogtragic
05-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Love him or not, he should be given a slap for this. Surely some credit is due. And poses the question about which player is going to be top 6 in the AFL for this stat and give us 112 f50 entries next year.

Bulldog Revolution
05-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Griffen is an interesting one on that list for us

I dont think I would have predicted hed be that high in the league

The Bulldogs Bite
05-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Very nice work by Eagle. I didn't expect he'd be that high, but then again, he's given the ball on almost every opportunity and often finds space. He's been a good player for us, regardless if he plays on or not. I'm not his biggest fan but he's been a good player over the long stretch.

Impressed with Aker. He's 'right up there' in a few of the important categories. It emphasises how good of a player he is. I was disappointed with him in the finals, but his H&A season was fantastic.

hujsh
05-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Love him or not, he should be given a slap for this. Surely some credit is due. And poses the question about which player is going to be top 6 in the AFL for this stat and give us 112 f50 entries next year.

All it really tells us is he gets a lot of his possessions near the 50. As Mantis said it's what you do with the inside 50s that count.

The Pie Man
06-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Griffen is an interesting one on that list for us

I dont think I would have predicted hed be that high in the league

Even more interesting comparing their last game

Griffen : 7 inside 50's
Eagleton : 2

LostDoggy
06-11-2009, 09:58 AM
I was surprised by Griffen's count too.
I dream of a future where Griff is punching 40m passes, which never sail higher than 3 metres from the earth, directly into the waiting arms of our 13 key forwards.

Twodogs
06-11-2009, 01:14 PM
I dream of a future where Griff is punching 40m passes, which never sail higher than 3 metres from the earth, directly into the waiting arms of our 13 key forwards.

God that's a great dream.

I'm going to bed to watch it again.

LostDoggy
10-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Isn't today the last day for final list lodgments ?

Mantis
10-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Isn't today the last day for final list lodgments ?

No, it's this coming Friday.

Go_Dogs
10-11-2009, 02:55 PM

Haha, nice one! :D

mighty_west
11-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Rocket on 3AW, basically said Eagle is just about set to sign on for 2010, Fantasia in talks with his manager, deal as good as done.

LostDoggy
11-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Great to hear!
He thoroughly deserves it, lets hope he rips it up next year!!

Throughandthrough
11-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Rocket on 3AW, basically said Eagle is just about set to sign on for 2010, Fantasia in talks with his manager, deal as good as done.

Thanks for posting that!

Nice one.

LostDoggy
13-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Eagleton To Play On

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/87047/default.aspx

The Western Bulldogs are pleased to announce that Nathan Eagleton has signed a one year contract extension. . . .

The Coon Dog
13-11-2009, 01:14 PM
The Western Bulldogs are pleased to announce that Nathan Eagleton has signed a one year contract extension. . . .

Should make Mantis' day! :D

Throughandthrough
13-11-2009, 01:23 PM
eagleton to play on

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/87047/default.aspx

the western bulldogs are pleased to announce that nathan eagleton has signed a one year contract extension. . . .

you bloody bewdy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

soupman
13-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know if he has been put on the veterans list or is just remaining on the main list?

Ozza
13-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Veterans list.

Sedat
13-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Do we get an extra ND selection (at pick 70-odd) or an extra rookie selection if we decide to add Eagle to the vet's list? Irrespective, I hope we do put him on the vet's list so that we can add another opportunity to unearth a Lake, Boyd, Picken or Harbrow with the extra selection (all of these guys were taken after pick 70 in the ND or in the rookie draft). Not sure why we wouldn't vet him if the cost to do so is so minimal.

The Coon Dog
13-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Do we get an extra ND selection (at pick 70-odd) or an extra rookie selection if we decide to add Eagle to the vet's list? Irrespective, I hope we do put him on the vet's list so that we can add another opportunity to unearth a Lake, Boyd, Picken or Harbrow with the extra selection (all of these guys were taken after pick 70 in the ND or in the rookie draft). Not sure why we wouldn't vet him if the cost to do so is so minimal.

Confirmed that Eagleton will be added to the Veteran's list. Gives us 4 draft picks.

comrade
13-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Confirmed that Eagleton will be added to the Veteran's list. Gives us 4 draft picks.

That’s a bit of a surprise, but a good decision. Even though this draft is shallow, our rookie recruiting team probably needs an extra pick to work with.

BulldogBelle
13-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Great to hear!
He thoroughly deserves it, lets hope he rips it up next year!!

Yep, agreed - I am glad that the Bald Eagle is playing another season.

firstdogonthemoon
14-11-2009, 10:08 AM
I would like to add my hooray here. While he there have been many others since, he was my first and I shall always remember him fondly.

Also it will give me another yeah of watching Mantis suffer so it is a win/win.

GVGjr
14-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I would like to add my hooray here. While he there have been many others since, he was my first and I shall always remember him fondly.

Can you imagine the emotion that will pour out the first time Eagleton fumbles the ball or shanks a kick in 2010? :)

Twodogs
14-11-2009, 11:03 AM

I like it best when the veins on his forehead bulge!

strebla
15-11-2009, 03:28 PM
:rolleyes:
That’s a bit of a surprise, but a good decision. Even though this draft is shallow, our rookie recruiting team probably needs an extra pick to work with.

At the very least it really gives us First pick in the rookie draft albeit for a slighly higher price great move by the club to give the recruiters a late speculative pick!!

bornadog
18-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I was disappointed with some of his delivery last night and thought he could have run the lines a bit more when he had the opportunity. He had zero inside 50's and zero goal assists, but I guess it was his first game. We need him to fire up in the next few weeks.

chef
19-04-2010, 07:56 AM
I was disappointed with some of his delivery last night and thought he could have run the lines a bit more when he had the opportunity. He had zero inside 50's and zero goal assists, but I guess it was his first game. We need him to fire up in the next few weeks.

He seemed slow as well, hope he hasn'e gone on a season to long:(

Mofra
19-04-2010, 09:29 AM
He had zero inside 50's and zero goal assists, but I guess it was his first game. We need him to fire up in the next few weeks.
That is a very worrying sign - he is someone who at this stage needs to play to his strengths, not his weaknesses.

I wasn't impressed on Saturday night but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe in that regard.

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Give him some mroe time to settle in but I think he's under some pressure to keep his spot.

Though the current start doesn't really give us much hope for anyone else stepping up???

Sedat
19-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Give him some mroe time to settle in but I think he's under some pressure to keep his spot.
Our ever growing injury list, especially to our midfielders, will ensure that Eagle has few sleepless nights for the next 2-3 rounds at least.

Mantis
30-04-2010, 11:29 PM
It's been far too long since a good ole Eagle kicking so here goes:

This was the exact type of game that we needed him to prosper in, but he couldn't. We needed him to 'run the lines', find space and use his left foot to move the ball quickly to break thru the zone, but he was no where to be seen. Fitness should not be an issue after having a few games behind him, but it was like he couldn't keep up tonight.

I may be seen as an Eagleton 'basher', but he has made a living of beating up the competitions lightweights, but is a perennial poor performer against the quality teams. Nothing changed tonight and it is time to look elsewhere.

We all live in hope (I don't) that one of Eagleton's booming left footers will win us such a game, but how long will we have to wait?

Out: Eagleton

In: Boyd

Rocco Jones
30-04-2010, 11:33 PM

This was the exact type of game that we needed him to prosper in, but he couldn't. We needed him to 'run the lines', find space and use his left foot to move the ball quickly to break thru the zone, but he was no where to be seen. Fitness should not be an issue after having a few games behind him, but it was like he couldn't keep up tonight.

I may be seen as an Eagleton 'basher', but he has made a living of beating up the competitions lightweights, but is a perennial poor performer against the quality teams. Nothing changed tonight and it is time to look elsewhere.

We all live in hope (I don't) that one of Eagleton's booming left footers will win us such a game, but how long will we have to wait?

I actually agree with the sentiment of your post but think he needs to stay in the side because we are so light on for runners. Says more about the team at the moment than it does about Eagle.

Ozza
30-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Agree completely Mantis. A fistful of 30 possession, 3 goal games against poor sides doesn't change anything - he is, and will always be - useless in a tough, important game.

People on here will try and get up you for being an Eagleton basher when he slips out the back and kicks a couple against Melbourne in an open game - but it means nothing when he doesn't produce in these games.

Mantis
30-04-2010, 11:34 PM
I actually agree with the sentiment of your post but think he needs to stay in the side because we are so light on for runners. Says more about the team at the moment than it does about Eagle.

So where was his running tonight?

angelopetraglia
30-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Eagleton never prospers in those games. Never has, never will. If we play a final against the Saints, drop him.

But, is probably one of the first selected in the wide open spaces of the G against the hard running Demons.

Eagle will play next week. Lock it in Eddie.

Rance Fan
30-04-2010, 11:41 PM

Awesome comment.

I don't know why you waste valuable bandwith with this sort of crap.

Nothing will change...its same ol same ol..Eagleton must be an ol fav of Rockets

Mantis
30-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Awesome comment.

I don't know why you waste valuable bandwith with this sort of crap.

Nothing will change...its same ol same ol..Eagleton must be an ol fav of Rockets

I bet you have been waiting all week to roll that one out.

Nice play flog.

Rocco Jones
30-04-2010, 11:48 PM
So where was his running tonight?

I agree again Mantis. I just think that next week will probably need up suiting him and we need all we can get at the moment.

Mantis
30-04-2010, 11:50 PM
I agree again Mantis. I just think that next week will probably need up suiting him and we need all we can get at the moment.

Frankly I am just sick of Eagleton saving his arse against inferior opposition and then playing like shit when we need him. It is time to play someone else in his role.

Rocco Jones
30-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Frankly I am just sick of Eagleton saving his arse against inferior opposition and then playing like shit when we need him. It is time to play someone else in his role.

I think we kind of 'need' him next week. While the Dees aren't a top 4 type of side and we should beat them, they are still a challenge. A few things off and we might struggle to win. At the moment I don't think we can really lake the 'bigger picture' calls, we simply have to win. Once we (hopefully) regain a few runners I will definitely be on your bandwagon. I will probably be on it either way for the game against the Swans.

Rance Fan
01-05-2010, 12:02 AM
I tend to agree with Mantis.
Moles or Boyd would certainly bring more to the table than Eagleton

Remi Moses
01-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Gee wiz some people look at things with red white and blue goggles on. Hand on hearts fellow Dog fans he never plays well when we ultimately need him! That is a fact nobody can deny,folks you can waffle on about Scapegoats until the cows come home but it's time to bring in Easton Wood:confused:

Rocco Jones
01-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Gee wiz some people look at things with red white and blue goggles on. Hand on hearts fellow Dog fans he never plays well when we ultimately need him! That is a fact nobody can deny,folks you can waffle on about Scapegoats until the cows come home but it's time to bring in Easton Wood:confused:

Not sure who that is directed to.

I have said Eagle is rubbish against quality sides but should play next week because our poor running depth is poor. I think that is pretty unbiased.

KT31
01-05-2010, 12:15 AM

If we had fed the ball to Eagle and set up a structure where he could have a shot from 50 , IMO the post would be different tonight.
Its alright picking players for certain games but you must play to their strengths and we didn't do that tonight.

Mantis
01-05-2010, 12:22 AM
I think we kind of 'need' him next week. While the Dees aren't a top 4 type of side and we should beat them, they are still a challenge. A few things off and we might struggle to win. At the moment I don't think we can really lake the 'bigger picture' calls, we simply have to win. Once we (hopefully) regain a few runners I will definitely be on your bandwagon. I will probably be on it either way for the game against the Swans.

Could Hill play this running role?

KT31
01-05-2010, 12:26 AM

Good chance to play one of the younger brigade against a lower side.

Rocco Jones
01-05-2010, 12:29 AM

He could if he worked at the level you'd expect from an AFL player. If/when he comes back, I think it should primary be in said role.

I am not a fan of Eagle and have wanted him dropped many times before but I think he at least offers a tank and willingness to run out an AFL way (albeit going one way at times). Obviously his work in close/under pressure is really exposed against quality sides.

chef
01-05-2010, 06:59 AM

Could Wood play his role?

Desipura
01-05-2010, 09:59 AM

Can we stop the Eagle bashing? You dont like when other players get bagged and you get all defensive, why should Eagle be an exception? Hypocritical if you ask me.

azabob
01-05-2010, 10:15 AM

I asked the same question last year, as im sure many have.

Looks like he might not be able to, even though he has been given all the right genes for it in regards to running motor.

Maybe he doesn't have the desire to run hard for the full game?

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 09:25 PM
I asked the same question last year, as im sure many have.

Looks like he might not be able to, even though he has been given all the right genes for it in regards to running motor.

Maybe he doesn't have the desire to run hard for the full game?

You know, this would be relevant if Eagle actually still ran for 4 whole quarters and kicked long raking goals more than twice a year.

Eagle has been a great servant for the club, but it often seems that people are often talking from memory when talking about his traits rather than on present evidence. There were two, maybe three games last year where he really ran through or kicked over the zone (notably the Brisbane game). In tight games (like yesterday's) he just doesn't have the close-skills to use his traits effectively. Well done for prolonging his career as long as he has, but in this day and age of spacelessness we need guys who can play quick in no space and not be a liability in possession. It would be different if he were kicking two goals a game, but he rarely does anymore.

The Coon Dog
01-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Can we stop the Eagle bashing? You dont like when other players get bagged and you get all defensive, why should Eagle be an exception? Hypocritical if you ask me.

Did you read Mantis' post in its entirety?

He gave a detailed reason as to why he thought Eagleton should be dropped, exactly what we expect of this forum, not just a throw away line lacking substance.

azabob
01-05-2010, 10:50 PM
You know, this would be relevant if Eagle actually still ran for 4 whole quarters and kicked long raking goals more than twice a year.

Eagle has been a great servant for the club, but it often seems that people are often talking from memory when talking about his traits rather than on present evidence. There were two, maybe three games last year where he really ran through or kicked over the zone (notably the Brisbane game). In tight games (like yesterday's) he just doesn't have the close-skills to use his traits effectively. Well done for prolonging his career as long as he has, but in this day and age of spacelessness we need guys who can play quick in no space and not be a liability in possession. It would be different if he were kicking two goals a game, but he rarely does anymore.

If you asked eade why eagle is still in the team I'm sure the answer would be along the lines of gut running, long kicking and goal kicking. I didn't say either way if eagle is in the best 22, simply saying the coaches see hill as a half forward and eagle as an outside runner.

Mantis
01-05-2010, 11:27 PM

I'm not sure how what I posted can be construed as 'Eagle bashing'?

Furthermore I don't think I over react to criticism of a players performance if the arguement us well constructed and is full of observations rather than off the cuff remarks.

becmatty
01-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Furthermore I don't think I over react to criticism of a players performance if the arguement us well constructed and is full of observations rather than off the cuff remarks.

I hope the arguements are constructed better than this sentence - nice substitution of the word us for is!...

Mantis
01-05-2010, 11:53 PM
I hope the arguements are constructed better than this sentence - nice substitution of the word us for is!...

Drunk posting on an IPhone is always fraught with danger.

Remi Moses
02-05-2010, 12:00 AM
If we had fed the ball to Eagle and set up a structure where he could have a shot from 50 , IMO the post would be different tonight.
Its alright picking players for certain games but you must play to their strengths and we didn't do that tonight.

Don't think so as we would have got a helicopter kick that wouldn't make the distance. He fumbles in big games and doesn't get enough of it. Love to be proven wrong but I doubt it:(