Jarrod Harbrow (hip) - test
Robert Murphy (knee) - test
Chris Ogle (glandular fever) - test
Paul O’Shea (hip) - indefinite
Jordan Roughead (shoulder) - 3 weeks

bornadog
15-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Cooney could return for Rd 5

BROWNLOW medallist Adam Cooney could return in time for the round five clash with Carlton, the Western Bulldogs say.

Cooney, 23, will undergo keyhole surgery on his knee on Tuesday, ruling him out of Sunday’s trip to West Coast.

A day procedure, the surgery will remove floating particles from Cooney’s knee joint.

"He could play the whole year with it but it creates a bit of inflammation at times," Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said on Tuesday morning.

"Effectively, because it's still early in the year and it was giving him some discomfort, we're better off doing it now."

Cooney had surgery on the same knee after last season to repair the fractured kneecap he'd carried throughout the Dogs' three-week finals campaign.

But Fantasia said this complaint was likely to be unrelated and instead caused by general wear and tear.

Cooney will be tested ahead of the Docklands clash with Carlton on Anzac Day weekend.

Forward Robert Murphy remains an outside chance to play against the Eagles, but Fantasia says the forward is more likely to play in the VFL – if at all – this weekend.

"He'll be a test again this week, and I suspect if he doesn't play this week, he'll play the week after," he said.

Fantasia said the travel this weekend would not affect Murphy’s availability.

"The Perth trip doesn't worry us - it's more about where he's at and I think (coach) Rodney (Eade) has indicated there is a chance he'll have a run with Williamstown first up," he said.

"I wouldn't have thought the travel would have been a major point."

As the Dogs prepare to fly across the Nullarbor for the second time in a month, several senior players could be in line for a week’s rest, Fantasia said.

"I know we're having some discussions about that, with the long season and the effects."

"We're doing some screening today to get some sort of an idea of how they're travelling. It's not without thought. It's something we're going to seriously consider.

"It's a bit early to say definitively."

Meanwhile, forward Scott Welsh will be monitored this week after possibly aggravating his back injury while playing for Williamstown in a practice match on Saturday.

Welsh was nursed through the pre-season because of the injury and had not played a senior match this year.

"He was moving okay and he just started to feel some tightness in his back so he's being monitored today and we'll see where he's at," Fantasia said.

"We'll have a better idea later in the week.

"It's only a concern for us because he had back problems in the pre-season, and I think whenever you start to talk about backs, it's a concern.

"He's had this for a little while now. It was part of the reason he didn't come (on the off-season trip) to Arizona last year, because we didn't want him to be on the plane, as being immobile might not have been too good for him."

Defender Brian Lake was expected to be fine to face the Eagles despite picking up a corked thigh against Richmond on Monday.

Bomberdog
15-04-2009, 09:43 AM
The mention of Welsh is worrying. I really think that he needs to be in the side.

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 09:49 AM
The mention of Welsh is worrying. I really think that he needs to be in the side.

Yes in 3 games we have really struggled without him.

Mantis
15-04-2009, 11:04 AM

So the same will be said of Murphy when he is ready to go? ;)

I still think having Welsh in the team will straighten us up a little, but he shouldn't play til he is fully fit.

Rocco Jones
15-04-2009, 11:07 AM

I still think having Welsh in the team will straighten us up a little, but he shouldn't play til he is fully fit.

Spot on. Welsh has always been the type of player that struggles playing hurt, especially now that he is entering the end of his career. He will be valuable to our side once he is up and running.

Bomberdog
15-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Ernie. I think he is very important to our side. Lets wait until we play someone decent without any target at all and see what happens. With Murph out he is very necessary to that forward line.

Mofra
15-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Welsh would want to play soon - I'm not sure we'll be putting gametime into him later in the year when this is probably his last season & Grant is a pre-season away for some decent seniors time. May fast track Grant for a couple of games later in the year if Welsh is still out.

Sedat
15-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Welsh has unfortunately made a career habit of not performing at his optimum against top quality opposition. He has played many finals for the Crows and rarely made a significant impact (his finals performances at North were too early to judge as he was so young). He didn't exactly prove this theory wrong in the 2008 finals series either. I rate his ability, and he would provide another match-up problem for opposition defenders, but I would love to see him take centre stage in a big game against quality opposition. The reality is that 2009 represents his best hope to do so.

hujsh
15-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Welsh has unfortunately made a career habit of not performing at his optimum against top quality opposition. He has played many finals for the Crows and rarely made a significant impact (his finals performances at North were too early to judge as he was so young). He didn't exactly prove this theory wrong in the 2008 finals series either. I rate his ability, and he would provide another match-up problem for opposition defenders, but I would love to see him take centre stage in a big game against quality opposition. The reality is that 2009 represents his best hope to do so.

When they got beat by Hawks/Franklin didn't Welsh get them back in it with 4 or so goals

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 07:30 PM

I agree but the comment was he needs to be in the side. He was terrible at the death last season. He is needed when he is firing.

mighty_west
15-04-2009, 07:40 PM

But who have we beaten?

Freo are a rabble, Richmond sitting 16th & North who got smashed by a half strength Hawks outfit, when we come up against the better sides, is when we need a well structured forward line.

mighty_west
15-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Welsh had a history of on & off seasons with form and injury with the Crows, it could be a long season for Scotty.

azabob
15-04-2009, 08:52 PM
When they got beat by Hawks/Franklin didn't Welsh get them back in it with 4 or so goals

Or was that Kenny McGregor?

Mantis
15-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Or was that Kenny McGregor?

Both Welsh & McGregor kicked 4 that day, both only had 6 kicks for the game.

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 11:17 PM
But who have we beaten?

Freo are a rabble, Richmond sitting 16th & North who got smashed by a half strength Hawks outfit, when we come up against the better sides, is when we need a well structured forward line.

Missing my point.

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 11:31 PM

agree we look a much better side going forwad with welsh and bob, just look at our first quarter against the tigers when they put midfeild pressure on us

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 11:38 PM
agree we look a much better side going forwad with welsh and bob, just look at our first quarter against the tigers when they put midfeild pressure on us

We missed targets, not sure how Welsh could have helped us in the first quarter?

LostDoggy
15-04-2009, 11:52 PM
We missed targets, not sure how Welsh could have helped us in the first quarter?

yes and we bombed it forward quite a bit to a stationary aker and gia on numerous occasions.

much rather welsh in a 1on1 marking contest

Sockeye Salmon
15-04-2009, 11:57 PM
yes and we bombed it forward quite a bit to a stationary aker and gia on numerous occasions.

much rather welsh in a 1on1 marking contest

Bomb it on a stationary target and Welsh could be John Coleman and still wouldn't get a kick.