PDA

View Full Version : Aker in the paper

AndrewP6
17-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Terrific article on Aker today. Gave good insight into his time at Brisbane, and since coming to the Whitten Oval... very interesting read.

ledge
18-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Do you have a link?

LostDoggy
27-04-2009, 12:11 AM
They interviewed Aker on 3AW before the game, and asked him if he was still going to retire at the end of this year.

Aker stated that he came to the dogs to win a premiership, and if he throught that him sticking around for another year would help the club reach that dream than he would consider it. First time he has said that, he has consistently said prior to this that he was definately going to retire.

AndrewP6
27-04-2009, 12:21 AM
They interviewed Aker on 3AW before the game, and asked him if he was still going to retire at the end of this year.

Aker stated that he came to the dogs to win a premiership, and if he throught that him sticking around for another year would help the club reach that dream than he would consider it. First time he has said that, he has consistently said prior to this that he was definately going to retire.

I feel a John Farnham-style "Last Time" coming on...:) Or Phil Collins, who in the 90's, went on a "First Final Tour"...

LostDoggy
27-04-2009, 09:58 AM
We really missed him yesterday::(

Bomberdog
27-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Thats great news. We need Aker for as long as we can.

AndrewP6
27-04-2009, 07:29 PM
We really missed him yesterday::(

Not sure he'd have made a massive difference...

LostDoggy
27-04-2009, 07:31 PM

Yes he would've.

chef
27-04-2009, 07:36 PM

He would have given us a target inside 50 who could get his hands on the ball.

Rocco Jones
27-04-2009, 07:39 PM

More importantly he would have been up to set up/create goals. Even Minson can kick a goal if Aker is nearby with the ball. Shattered he won't be playing next year.

chef
27-04-2009, 07:45 PM
More importantly he would have been up to set up/create goals. Even Minson can kick a goal if Aker is nearby with the ball. Shattered he won't be playing next year.

You just never know with Aka;)

LostDoggy
27-04-2009, 07:46 PM
He would have been furious watching the game yesterday. No Cooney or Aker - no leadership.

AndrewP6
27-04-2009, 08:17 PM

He would've made better leads, taken smarter options, yes... but I don't think even Aker could've stopped that rot...

AndrewP6
27-04-2009, 08:20 PM

WIth the way the other forwards were going, Aker would've had to be a lone hand... and I think any 6 goal games are behind him. If he's still contributing, I'd be rapt to see him go round next year. Not optimistic though.

AndrewP6
27-04-2009, 08:22 PM
He would have been furious watching the game yesterday. No Cooney or Aker - no leadership.

If that's true, with Johnno, Boyd, Gia, Higgins and Dale Morris all playing (did I forget anyone?) then our leadership group is pointless.

LostDoggy
27-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Aker will be sorely missed!

AndrewP6
27-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Aker will be sorely missed!

Yep, he's a champ... hope the enforced holiday refreshed him for this weekend....

bornadog
27-04-2009, 09:20 PM
He mentioned on the radio yesterday that he wants to finish up with a flag and if that means playing next year, he would seriously consider it.

Remi Moses
28-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Playing well enough to play next year. If he's form is good enough then surely he should play on,and anybody who doesn't think Aka wouldn't have made a difference yesterday is talking tripe.The guys useage is outstanding,11 or 12 quality possessions

AndrewP6
28-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Playing well enough to play next year. If he's form is good enough then surely he should play on,and anybody who doesn't think Aka wouldn't have made a difference yesterday is talking tripe.The guys useage is outstanding,11 or 12 quality possessions

OK I take it back... if he'd played, we'd have lost by 4-5 goals...

ledge
28-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Going on his last game he wasnt his usual self, fumbled a lot, but really thats only one bad game, i have been nothing but impressed with him since he came over football wise, thinks too quick at times he is that good.
I would love to see him go around again with the likes of Grant learning about his game.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-04-2009, 08:00 PM
He mentioned on the radio yesterday that he wants to finish up with a flag and if that means playing next year, he would seriously consider it.

He has also stated that he hasn't enjoyed this pre-season and it was the toughest of all. Even prior to the injury.

Happy if he goes around again, however we need to think about the team.

If Welsh, Hahn, johnson & Aker are around it's another year that Cordy, Roughy, Reido;O'keefe don't get games into them. Hard to understand if these guys can't win the flag next year why we would keep them all on.

Topdog
28-04-2009, 08:06 PM
OK I take it back... if he'd played, we'd have lost by 4-5 goals...

I don't understand why people do this kind of thing. Ok so you say he is worth 3-4 goals to us yet just whack that off the final score. If Aker was playing those goals would have had us a lot closer than we were and the whole game changes. It's so simplistic and quite frankly foolish to think like that.

AndrewP6
07-05-2009, 12:00 AM
I don't understand why people do this kind of thing. Ok so you say he is worth 3-4 goals to us yet just whack that off the final score. If Aker was playing those goals would have had us a lot closer than we were and the whole game changes. It's so simplistic and quite frankly foolish to think like that.

that's not very nice :(