PDA

View Full Version : Harbrow to the backline?

Bulldog Revolution
12-05-2009, 01:20 AM
I've missed the past two games but was wondering how everyone has viewed Harbrows move into defence

He did a pretty good job on Betts apart from one foolish lunge on the boundary line where he was stepped around for a goal

What are the views on his games against StKilda and Adelaide

The Coon Dog
12-05-2009, 06:00 AM
What are the views on his games against StKilda and Adelaide

He was highly rated by the match committee for his game on Milne v St.Kilda. I reckon he's been terrific back there. Obviously it's a learning curve for him but he'll be a better player as a result.

Go_Dogs
12-05-2009, 09:17 AM
He was highly rated by the match committee for his game on Milne v St.Kilda. I reckon he's been terrific back there. Obviously it's a learning curve for him but he'll be a better player as a result.

Yes, still learning but playing a good role. His leg speed is very important down back, and his field kicking whilst not perhaps his greatest asset, has been pleasing.

Mantis
12-05-2009, 09:34 AM
I am a big fan of his work so am probably biased, but I think he has been very good over the past 3 weeks. He is getting caught out of position at times which I guess is to be expected as he is fairly new in the role, but he is acquitting himself well in the small defender role.

A real feature of his play has been his sure hands and his accurate kicking coming out of defence. We have all had concerns about the kicking of some of our defenders, but I feel pretty safe with the ball in Harbrow's hands knowing that he generally will be able to find a target up field. There was one particular pass to Aker on Sunday that was a bullet (Aker dropped the bloody thing too).

Mofra
12-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I wasn't a huge fan of his game on Betts (just needs more body-size), but thought his last two games were very good.

He does take the game on a little, which suggests to me he carries out the coach's instructions to the letter. Seems to be a team first, individual second type player which means he will wind up playing plenty of senior football.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Timmy Callan gets some fitness & VFL form back.

Mantis
12-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I wasn't a huge fan of his game on Betts (just needs more body-size), but thought his last two games were very good.

He does take the game on a little, which suggests to me he carries out the coach's instructions to the letter. Seems to be a team first, individual second type player which means he will wind up playing plenty of senior football.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Timmy Callan gets some fitness & VFL form back.

Why?

Besides giving away a silly goal when he over committed on the boundary line it looked to me that Harbrow did a reasonable job on Betts.

Cyberdoggie
12-05-2009, 11:56 AM
I am a big fan of his work so am probably biased, but I think he has been very good over the past 3 weeks. He is getting caught out of position at times which I guess is to be expected as he is fairly new in the role, but he is acquitting himself well in the small defender role.

A real feature of his play has been his sure hands and his accurate kicking coming out of defence. We have all had concerns about the kicking of some of our defenders, but I feel pretty safe with the ball in Harbrow's hands knowing that he generally will be able to find a target up field. There was one particular pass to Aker on Sunday that was a bullet (Aker dropped the bloody thing too).

I'm also a big fan.

I think it's a good move to have him as the small quick defender, however i think he needs to have more run across half back, as do a few of our defenders (ie Everitt, Williams, Gilbee, Addison).
These players are very capable of running through the lines but seem to be very flat and negative at times recently, and if they can be a little more confident and take a few risks then it would make a huge impact to our side. Of course we all know what Gilbee is capable of, however constantly tagging and some ordinary games have made him inconsistant this year. Harbrow can certainly play a similar role, although it will take some time before he improves as a defender.

Sleeve1970
12-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Harbrow at the present time like so many other Bulldog players, he is still learning the game. His skill, football brain, vision, clean hands and kicking (that at times may let him down) are on the improve. I think he done a great job on Betts but Carlton just had one of those games that it didnt matter what you did they would make you look slow. His job on Milne was nearly the same I think. The one thing he will and us should take out of it is the fact that he never seems to give up.

I place him in the same league as Hill, so talented and still to reach his peak. Another 1 to 2 years and look out he will be a force.

bornadog
12-05-2009, 12:19 PM
He has got to buy some new shorts:D

Last year when he played at Willi, he was mainly in a back pocket so he has played the position before. We do miss his defensive skills in the forward line, but I think for his development, the back pocket is ideal.

Mofra
12-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Why?

Besides giving away a silly goal when he over committed on the boundary line it looked to me that Harbrow did a reasonable job on Betts.
I thought he was out-muscled and out positioned a few times allowing Betts to influence quite a few passages of play.
Bearing in mind he did seem a fair bit lighter than Betts and was his first game back for a while so I'm willing to cut him some slack.

I still think he performed much better in the last two games.

The Coon Dog
12-05-2009, 12:30 PM

Very Cameron Faulkner like.

Desipura
12-05-2009, 01:40 PM
I want all the posters who did not rate him at the start of the year to come forward........NOW, I did not think anyone would admit to it.
I was asked why he should be in the side at the start of the year, simple answer he tackles hard and takes on the opposition (see preliminary final against Geelong). He gived his all and that is all you can ask. I disagree that he is quick, I wish he could gain a yard in pace.

azabob
12-05-2009, 02:05 PM
I want all the posters who did not rate him at the start of the year to come forward........NOW, I did not think anyone would admit to it.
I was asked why he should be in the side at the start of the year, simple answer he tackles hard and takes on the opposition (see preliminary final against Geelong). He gived his all and that is all you can ask. I disagree that he is quick, I wish he could gain a yard in pace.

I can come forward and admit I didn't rate him in our best 22. I will say it will be interesting to see if he's in our best 22 at years end.
Currently he is playing good footy, but he is only young and history suggests he won't hold his spot for the remainder of the year.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Currently he is playing good footy, but he is only young and history suggests he won't hold his spot for the remainder of the year.

He is in our best 22, whether for the rest of the year he is in the backline or, where I personally prefer him, in the forward line exerting pressure to keep the ball in the 50. He probably has this trait in the forward line as well, but it is more noticeable the number of tackles that he doesn't fully stick when in the backline.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 02:41 PM

Last year when he played at Willi, he was mainly in a back pocket so he has played the position before. We do miss his defensive skills in the forward line, but I think for his development, the back pocket is ideal.

So you want him to buy shorts with back pockets?

Mofra
12-05-2009, 02:45 PM
I want all the posters who did not rate him at the start of the year to come forward
I was right and wrong - I had him in the forward pocket :o

Remi Moses
12-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Won me over after that Geelong final last year,got an advantage over Timmy Callan is that Harbrow is a better kick and is quicker than Callan. Having said that however it's good to see competition for places

mighty_west
12-05-2009, 03:51 PM
What Remi said ^^^^^

His natural improvement in this role is only going to benefit the club long term, and make the likes of Callan to earn that spot back, Harbrow isn't going to let it slip easily.

What impressed me was that blunder against Betts, he quickly learn't from that, and basically owned Milne the following week, he is improving week by week down back, could eventually be a Johncock/W'Punda type.

Once he really knows that he belongs down back, his confidence will just grow & grow.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-05-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm probably one of his biggest fans.

Love the way he goes about his football, he really does give 110% each and every time. Still obviously learning the game and is prone to a few mistakes, but he continues to develop very well and is beginning to add another string to his bow by adding the option of playing as a small defender.

No doubt in time, Harbrow will be better suited to a role across half forward/pocket, but he's doing a pretty good job for us in the back half at the moment. We've really lacked pace and somebody to take the game on/carry the football this year, but he's been one of the shining lights in that regard.

No doubt in our best 22 IMO.

The question for mine is will Harbrow stay as the small defender so long as he's doing an OK job, or will he be shifted to the forward half once Callan has gained some fitness in Williamstown? It's an interesting one. There's a case for both. Lack of defensive pressure/zip up forward, lack of dash/skill in the back half.

LostDoggy
12-05-2009, 09:26 PM

And rated by everyone else. And more importantly by himself I think. In the Adelaide game he backed his pace and instincts to break through the lines. Made me catch my breath. He has more upside yet I think.

Whoever has mentored or backed him needs to be congratulated.

Rocco Jones
12-05-2009, 09:42 PM

I was actually going to post on the same subject matter!

Agree with all that.

He is kinda like Jordy McMahon if you ignore his defensive skills, ability to kick the ball to his team mates and testicles. Seriously though, we are desperate for some line breakers/ball carriers who can the ball. Having one who can also keep his opponent quiet is rather lovely.

Cyberdoggie
14-05-2009, 02:40 PM

I'm not sure why you think he isn't quick.

He's certainly quick, although has some balance issues when he is travelling at speed. Tends to fall over a lot. Perhaps he's been told to slow down and steady himself a little more.

Desipura
14-05-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure why you think he isn't quick.

He's certainly quick, although has some balance issues when he is travelling at speed. Tends to fall over a lot. Perhaps he's been told to slow down and steady himself a little more.
I cannot give an example, however he is not quick, not slow but not quick. I believe sometimes he believes he is quicker than he actually is. Next time keep an eye on him when he is going toe to toe with a speedster.

Bulldog Revolution
14-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Good to hear others have thought he is doing well in this new role

Should be a good matchup for him in the backline against the Dees this week

always right
14-05-2009, 05:18 PM
I cannot give an example, however he is not quick, not slow but not quick. I believe sometimes he believes he is quicker than he actually is. Next time keep an eye on him when he is going toe to toe with a speedster.

He's not quick like Davey but I love the way he goes at full throttle both when he has the ball and more importantly when he doesn't. Has an amazing ability to maintain his pace over a long run which is why he is able to put pressure on blokes just when they think they are clear.

There are some blokes who are only fast when they have the ball in hand but they never catch anyone when asked to chase. Think Johnno for his entire career:cool:

Harbrow reminds me a little of Michael Mclean...not as smooth but is a master of chasing blokes down. Just needs to nail his tackles more often when he gets there.