PDA

View Full Version : Terry Wallace Gone!

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Congratulations Terry on a wonderful, though colourful carreer;)

bornadog
01-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Terry has apologized to the Western Bulldogs Fans, club etc for the way he left the club. About time.

chef
01-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Terry has apologized to the Western Bulldogs Fans, club etc for the way he left the club. About time.

That one week really spoiled the 14 years he gave us. Apology accepted Terry.

ledge
01-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Just thinking did Terry play enough games with us to have father son rule apply and would we want his kids, seems to me he truly loved the club more than other clubs when he looked back.

chef
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Just thinking did Terry play enough games with us to have father son rule apply and would we want his kids, seems to me he truly loved the club more than other clubs when he looked back.

No, he only played 69 games for us.

Desipura
01-06-2009, 01:23 PM
no 69 games. The tigers may well fire up for him or come tumbling down, hopefully the latter!

aker39
01-06-2009, 01:25 PM

He actually said that it was the 1st opportunity he had to apologise.

What a load of cr@p.

Didn't he have 2 years off in between coaching the dogs and the tigers. Plenty of time to apologise.

Desipura
01-06-2009, 01:30 PM

What a load of cr@p.

Didn't he have 2 years off in between coaching the dogs and the tigers. Plenty of time to apologise.
if he had apologised between gigs he may have not got the job at tigerland

ledge
01-06-2009, 01:33 PM
He did say there was some sort of legal thing about him commenting on it.
Now heres a question, would the club bring him back into the fold at all in another capacity?
He did say he wanted to continue in footy in some way.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2009, 01:35 PM

What a load of cr@p.

I agree.

This is a megalamaniac, who wants to go out with a love fest and guard of honour form both clubs and Bulldogs people cheering him. His apology is not because he is sorry, he has had years for that. The timing is about a glorious ending to his career and hoping Bulldogs people stand and applaud him as he walks off after a thumping loss, not turn their back on him.

This is a grubby attempt to try to win back some loyalty. Well Terry, a good start would have been acknowledging Chris Grant in his record game, and shaking his hand with the 22 Richmond players and not walking away from him. You've done nothing for 5 years, and now all of a sudden in your last game against us, you want our support through a veiled apology.

I don't beleive his sincerity or motive.

Desipura
01-06-2009, 01:35 PM
He did say there was some sort of legal thing about him commenting on it.
Now heres a question, would the club bring him back into the fold at all in another capacity?
He did say he wanted to continue in footy in some way.
the way he undermined Joyce, he could potentially do the same with Rocket, so I would say no.
Terry wont be lost to the game, Im sure we will be hearing his voice in the media very soon......

ledge
01-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Well there is a plus maybe he wont say outstanding every second sentence.

Dazza
01-06-2009, 01:46 PM
What did he actually say?

I really hope the list he takes credit for gives him a hiding.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 01:50 PM
I agree.

This is a megalamaniac, who wants to go out with a love fest and guard of honour form both clubs and Bulldogs people cheering him. His apology is not because he is sorry, he has had years for that. The timing is about a glorious ending to his career and hoping Bulldogs people stand and applaud him as he walks off after a thumping loss, not turn their back on him.

This is a grubby attempt to try to win back some loyalty. Well Terry, a good start would have been acknowledging Chris Grant in his record game, and shaking his hand with the 22 Richmond players and not walking away from him. You've done nothing for 5 years, and now all of a sudden in your last game against us, you want our support through a veiled apology.

The Grand National winner couldn't jump over this bloke's ego

mighty_west
01-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Takes a big person to apologize, whether it's 2 years later or 7, he stuffed up at our club BIG TIME, and he knows it, so to say what he did, good on him.

Obviously there will be divide between supporters to accept his apology or not, and i am on the accepted side.

Let's just hope we give it to him one last time on Friday night, after that, good luck Terry.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Takes a big person to apologize, whether it's 2 years later or 7, he stuffed up at our club BIG TIME, and he knows it, so to say what he did, good on him.

Obviously there will be divide between supporters to accept his apology or not, and i am on the accepted side.

Let's just hope we give it to him one last time on Friday night, after that, good luck Terry.

Totally agree.
I went from being a very big Terry Wallace fan to feeling very betrayed (as a Bulldogs fan) and that bad feeling carried on to this year.
Having said that Terry didn't have to say anything today, but he did, and the fact that he so clearly apologised was very big of him. I think it was a pretty classy thing all round.
But I still hope we give the Tiges a big belting this Friday.

wb_age
01-06-2009, 02:35 PM
What did he actually say?

I really hope the list he takes credit for gives him a hiding.
Have a listen.
http://podsentral.com/node/840

The Pie Man
01-06-2009, 02:51 PM
I wasn't going to go Friday but I might now - and I hope he gets a send off in good taste.

It has to be recognised how influential he was in raising our profile from 97 onwards, and I'd like to think his regret in the way he left is genuine.

The way our season is, it's too important a game for us to drop to the Tigs emotions....and even then, they didn't want him there a few weeks ago so I doubt they'll be breathing fire anyway (oh who knows) I'd just love to get a win out of the way and then see Plough sent off in the right fashion, hopefully our pres can come down and shake his hand.

Desipura
01-06-2009, 03:01 PM
I just had a listen to the audio. Definately sounded like an interview. In fact it was almost like a reporter had asked him the last question of an interview. So tells about yourself Terry? The very first thing he mentioned was his marketing background having worked with Sky channel.
He then went on to mention his marketing background another 2 times in the interview. Did I mention he had a marketing background? Went on to say he still wants to be involved in footy.
Took full credit for the guys that are still with us at the doggies, stating he likes seeing the guys I drafted play well. Why did we have a recruiting officer when we had Terry.
Funny how he did not mention those players who were drafted early in the draft that are no longer there.
Richo to the wing was another masterstroke that Terry came up with and says the Cousins being drafted was the right call.
Disagrees that he left the club in a worse situation than when he had arrived as it was a "basket case" when he arrived apparently. And now it is what???????
As for the apology, give me a break!
If this guy gets a tv or radio gig, I will turn down the volume. Was a very good player and coach for us, end of story.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 03:03 PM
I hope he gets boo-ed and abused verbally throughout the night. A nice 100+ point defeat as a lovely send off would be ideal.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 03:08 PM
I just had a listen to the audio. ...

I started to listen but had to turn it off. Same old, same old.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I heard it too, he apologized to WB and Smorgan then in the next sentence pats himself in the back by saying he drafted the current WB list.
He can stick his apology, as actions speak louder than words here.

He says the legal issues wouldn't allow him to apologize early but failed to mention that these legal issues were about a broken contract at Swans.

He also said that when he started at Richmond there were no 21-25 yos, so they were a basket case. Thank you Spud Frawley. :) I'm pretty sure when he left bulldogs we were pretty much the same.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 03:54 PM
I heard it too, he apologized to WB and Smorgan then in the next sentence pats himself in the back by saying he drafted the current WB list.

He says the legal issues wouldn't allow him to apologize early but failed to mention that these legal issues were about a broken contract at Swans.

He also said that when he started at Richmond there were no 21-25 yos, so they were a basket case. Thank you Spud Frawley. :) I'm pretty sure when he left bulldogs we were pretty much the same.

That is precisely the position he left us in after wasting good picks on the Winmars of this world - nice idea at the time but it comes back to bite you.

Read Mc Mahon = Pick 19

Our gap had nought between the Johnson years to the Gilbee year

This entire aplogy is designed to get him his "big" send-off which he wanted when he threw in the towel with us. Thankfully Darcy led the call to get him to piss off without the fanfare.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 03:56 PM

That is precisely the position he left us in after wasting good picks on the Winmars of this world - nice idea at the time but it comes back to bite you.

Read Mc Mahon = Pick 19

We had nothing between Johnson and Gilbee

This entire aplogy is designed to get him his "big send-off" which he wanted when he threw in the towel with us. Thankfully Darcy led the call to get him to piss off without the fanfare.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
I hope he gets boo-ed and abused verbally throughout the night. A nice 100+ point defeat as a lovely send off would be ideal.

I think its time to move on. Wallace gave our club great service and made a bad blue, its time to recognise him as being a big contributor to the Bulldogs.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I think its time to move on. Wallace gave our club great service and made a bad blue, its time to recognise him as being a big contributor to the Bulldogs.

^^^^^

Naive, naive, naive.

If Luke Darcy -- who knows exactly what went on -- is still holding a grudge, I don't see why any of us (as a club/fanbase) has to let it go.

The fact is, Wallet hasn't even really apologised, just said the right weasel words to weasel out of the latest tight spot he finds himself in, and managed to bag Rocket and Frawley etc all at the same time, without ever acknowledging that he may be the worst of the lot.

Call that an apology? He can stick it.

I'll forgive the snake when Luke Darcy, Chris Grant, Brad Johnson et al forgive him, which I can assure you, will not be anytime soon.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 04:51 PM
ps. and ENOUGH already about 'what a good job he did at the Dogs'. Are we so pathetic as to believe that two preliminary finals was a 'good job'? Grant Thomas should be seen as a genius, if that's the case.

Any decent organiser/motivator would have done well with the list he inherited (which was decimated by injury the previous year), and I would argue that he actually UNDERACHIEVED with our list, being trashed in the second prelim we made, when a better coach may well have won two flags with the same list, which evidently he had no skills to develop (see Richmond).

And the way he got his job (the same way he is leaving his now), by subtly undermining everyone in his way, is nothing short of scum behaviour. Can you imagine the media circus that would ensue if it leaked that a current assistant coach was subtly angling to remove a senior coach? That's exactly what Wallet did to get the gig at the Dogs.

The guy is, and has always been a snake. That so many of you are still in his thrall is just proof of his skills as a con-man.

mighty_west
01-06-2009, 05:00 PM

Absolutlely, no point going through life being bitter, gets you nowhere, whilst he unfortunatly didn't take us all the way, he did an extremely good job on putting us on the map with that added media exposure the old Footscray never recieved, from the rabble we were in 96.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Absolutlely, no point going through life being bitter, gets you nowhere, whilst he unfortunatly didn't take us all the way, he did an extremely good job on putting us on the map with that added media exposure the old Footscray never recieved, from the rabble we were in 96.

It's not about being bitter, MW.

What's the saying? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Is an abused 'bitter' for not trusting their abuser? There's forgiveness, then there's naivete asking for more punishment, which Wallet has shown more than once, is more than happy to dole out if you are happy to take it.

It's not bitterness to not take anything he says on face value. If you ask me, the only one who has displayed bitterness (on a club level) has been Wallace, towards the Dogs, for the last 7 years (with an apology AT THE VERY END of his tenure at Richmond! What does he take us for? Idiots?)

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 05:11 PM

Oh I have moved on, happy with where we're at in comparison to where we were during his tenure.

But I reserve the right to detest him indefinitely. Doing so doesn't make me bitter.

:)

Sedat
01-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Teflon is the ultimate non-stick surface, and so it continues to be proven today. Watch the media reporting tomorrow centre on his 'classy exit' and 'humble apology', and completely miss the pot shots at a defenseless Spud Frawley, not to mention still claiming credit for a list that he voluntarily left (while still under contract no less), 7 long years ago. By that logic, I guess Schwabby should have been up on the podium celebrating Hawthorn's premiership success last year, seeing as he got Hodge, Sewell, Mitchell, Ladson and others to Glenferrie. Ditto Ken Judge in 2006 and Gary Ayres in 2007 - while we're at it, Rocket may as well have been necking bottles of Bollinger with his best mate Richard Colless in 2005 as well :rolleyes:

At least he's given us a great chance to send him packing in style. I hope our players and coaching panel clinically prepare for and ruthlessly execute our match day plans this Friday night - there's 4 points at stake, not to mention possible finals action and the hope for September glory, things that Teflon will never again get the chance to work towards.

mighty_west
01-06-2009, 05:15 PM
It's not about being bitter, MW.

What's the saying? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Is an abused 'bitter' for not trusting their abuser? There's forgiveness, then there's naivete asking for more punishment, which Wallet has shown more than once, is more than happy to dole out if you are happy to take it.

It's not bitterness to not take anything he says on face value. If you ask me, the only one who has displayed bitterness (on a club level) has been Wallace, towards the Dogs, for the last 7 years (with an apology AT THE VERY END of his tenure at Richmond! What does he take us for? Idiots?)

Thats your take, my take is that it's easy to hold a grudge, and definatly not naive to forgive. Forget? no one will, but i am sure there will be plenty that will forgive him.

Is he the king os spin? absolutely, does he choose his words, off course, but i generally believed him today when he said sorry, some times that is pretty hard to do, just ask Johnny Howard.

Do i need the likes of Darce to forgive for myself to forgive? no way known, i make my own decisions, but that doesn't also mean i respect Darce less, thats just his choice to make, just like it is yours.

Remi Moses
01-06-2009, 05:36 PM
I agree.

here here.

Remi Moses
01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
^^^^^

Naive, naive, naive.

If Luke Darcy -- who knows exactly what went on -- is still holding a grudge, I don't see why any of us (as a club/fanbase) has to let it go.

The fact is, Wallet hasn't even really apologised, just said the right weasel words to weasel out of the latest tight spot he finds himself in, and managed to bag Rocket and Frawley etc all at the same time, without ever acknowledging that he may be the worst of the lot.

Call that an apology? He can stick it.

I'll forgive the snake when Luke Darcy, Chris Grant, Brad Johnson et al forgive him, which I can assure you, will not be anytime soon.

That last paragraph sums it up.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Thats your take, my take is that it's easy to hold a grudge, and definatly not naive to forgive. Forget? no one will, but i am sure there will be plenty that will forgive him.

Is he the king os spin? absolutely, does he choose his words, off course, but i generally believed him today when he said sorry, some times that is pretty hard to do, just ask Johnny Howard.

Do i need the likes of Darce to forgive for myself to forgive? no way known, i make my own decisions, but that doesn't also mean i respect Darce less, thats just his choice to make, just like it is yours.
MW you are a nice guy and very forgiving, some great personal charachter traits. I commend for you for having them.

But for me, Terry's performance to me was like one of those dodgy parents crying for their lost children/spouse to 'come home', who have actually their committed murder and trying to fool the police and he media. Crocodile tears, crocodile apology. I don't accept it and choose not to accept his spin. Many have summed him up well in the preceeding posts and i agree with the lot. Got Karma in a big way. I hold a grudge in Grant's record breaking game he was the only Richmond person not to shake his hand. Matty Richardson was the 1st person to shake his hand. Yet Wallace walked in the opposite direction.

Like a lifetime 'sinner', he is repenting on his footy deathbed hoping he will go to media heaven and into the media abyss. I hope he gets all that is coming to him.

chef
01-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Everybody deserves a second chance. It's not like he has continued to bad month our club like someone else we know who does this to his old club.

bornadog
01-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Oh hum, all boring ...................... lets move on to the next chapter. A premiership:D

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 07:22 PM
I just had a listen to the audio. Definately sounded like an interview. In fact it was almost like a reporter had asked him the last question of an interview. So tells about yourself Terry? The very first thing he mentioned was his marketing background having worked with Sky channel.
He then went on to mention his marketing background another 2 times in the interview. Did I mention he had a marketing background? Went on to say he still wants to be involved in footy.
Took full credit for the guys that are still with us at the doggies, stating he likes seeing the guys I drafted play well. Why did we have a recruiting officer when we had Terry.
Funny how he did not mention those players who were drafted early in the draft that are no longer there.
Richo to the wing was another masterstroke that Terry came up with and says the Cousins being drafted was the right call.
Disagrees that he left the club in a worse situation than when he had arrived as it was a "basket case" when he arrived apparently. And now it is what???????
As for the apology, give me a break!
If this guy gets a tv or radio gig, I will turn down the volume. Was a very good player and coach for us, end of story.

Great post - it seems to me that he left us with a "basket case" list and is doing the same for Richmond. Heard some others on the radio talking about him today, and they listed his "list management" and "player development" as his 2 big areas of weakness. Well, bugger me, what a surprise! I commented on another thread that he was a very courageous player, and at times, thought he was a pretty good coach, but I too now believe we "underachieved" in 97 and 98! I would shudder to think that the dogs would have him back in any shape or form - no, no, no! I hope our boys give him the send off he deserves - and we murder 'em! I wish him well in whatever he chooses to do, just as long as it doesn't involve my beloved doggies!

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 07:42 PM
If anyone remembers the interview that Wallace gave a couple of years ago, where he talks about the 97 preliminary loss to Adelaide, you will realise that he did care about this club, he said he was so devastated that he could hardly get up and walk, and all he could hear was the Crows supporters stating that it had been 7 long years:rolleyes:.

He stuffed up big time, the way he left the club, but at that time, the salary cap was 92% and he was upset at the cost cutting in the football department for the players, not just the "I can't take this list any further" If we are going to remember the events of 2002, lets remember them all.

1eyedog
01-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Can't wait until we are no longer talking about Terry Wallace. Ah the serenity!

AndrewP6
01-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Apparently a good player, had some success with the Dogs... but I can't forget that easily. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say... Wallace can spin all the crap he wants to about this being his first chance to apologise... I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. He let us down in a bad way in '02, and all his crocodile tears won't change that. A genuine apology? Please... he's only spinning again... angling for another job, he's cunning enough to know what needed to be said. He said he'd lost the passion for the game when he left the Dogs, and he was hunting for another job all the while. His words mean nothing. The man's ego is bigger than the entire club he just got bumped from. To have had five years at the helm, and the best result he got with them is 9th, and he reckons that is successful? God, how full of himself is he? He claims to have followed the careers of the players "he drafted". The ones he drafted, and then abandoned! Most coaches when being questioned on failures, will offer the "no excuses" line. Not Terry, he just loves the excuses. Has an answer for everything (even though it took 7 years to give one to the Dogs!)

No tears from me for Wallace - he's good at talking crap, so he'll step into the media easily. On your bike, Plough...

AndrewP6
01-06-2009, 08:33 PM
He stuffed up big time, the way he left the club, but at that time, the salary cap was 92% and he was upset at the cost cutting in the football department for the players, not just the "I can't take this list any further" If we are going to remember the events of 2002, lets remember them all.

When Rocket joined us, we were down the arse end of the ladder, working out at the rat-infested Whitten Oval... didn't stop him from joining us. Plough probably lost his solarium in the cost-cutting.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Makes me feel warm and fuzzy that we have Rocket. What a good decision that was for the club.

The Adelaide Connection
01-06-2009, 08:47 PM

You deserved to get booed.

I hope we belt the tigers, don't get me wrong, but when the siren goes I hope all supporters stand and recognise the achievements of this bloke for all he has done for both clubs and our great game.

AndrewP6
01-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Can't wait until we are no longer talking about Terry Wallace. Ah the serenity!

We'll have him on telly soon... perhaps a mid-season replacement on Footy Classified for Thommo? (In reality, I wish it was for Caro, but that won't happen!)

AndrewP6
01-06-2009, 08:50 PM

I hope we belt the tigers, don't get me wrong, but when the siren goes I hope all supporters stand and recognise the achievements of this bloke for all he has done for both clubs and our great game.

Not gonna happen. If we get up, I'll cheer the Doggies, couldn't give a rat's about Wallace. I could point him in the direction of Centrelink?

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 08:55 PM

Wallace was with the club for 14 years no boos will come from me some of the comments in this thread are appaling & childish.

The Adelaide Connection
01-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Wallace was with the club for 14 years no boos will come from me some of the comments in this thread are appaling & childish.

Totally agree. The bloke has apologised, which can't have been an easy thing to do. I don't care if it is a little late, in fact he didn't really have to apologise at all and it wouldn't have changed the fact that he did some bloody good things for our club.

The Adelaide Connection
01-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Apparently a good player, had some success with the Dogs... but I can't forget that easily. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say... Wallace can spin all the crap he wants to about this being his first chance to apologise... I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. He let us down in a bad way in '02, and all his crocodile tears won't change that. A genuine apology? Please... he's only spinning again... angling for another job, he's cunning enough to know what needed to be said. He said he'd lost the passion for the game when he left the Dogs, and he was hunting for another job all the while. His words mean nothing. The man's ego is bigger than the entire club he just got bumped from. To have had five years at the helm, and the best result he got with them is 9th, and he reckons that is successful? God, how full of himself is he? He claims to have followed the careers of the players "he drafted". The ones he drafted, and then abandoned! Most coaches when being questioned on failures, will offer the "no excuses" line. Not Terry, he just loves the excuses. Has an answer for everything (even though it took 7 years to give one to the Dogs!)

No tears from me for Wallace - he's good at talking crap, so he'll step into the media easily. On your bike, Plough...

Are you saying that he would have no interest in players that came into the club during his time that he would have helped to develop and spent x amount of hours a week with? Or that he would have no input in the recruiting of these players?

I still follow the careers of our ex-players like the Farren Rays, Sam Powers, Jordan McMahons etc and hope they play well and I am just a supporter.

When I was younger my favourite premier league player, Alan Shearer, left Blackburn and to this day I still have a soft spot for Newcastle. Now I have a team in the Championship to go for. :)

The Coon Dog
01-06-2009, 09:24 PM

I agree Charmdog, a bit disappointing to be honest.

I felt his apology was genuine & sincere & I reckon his boys would still barrack for the club too.

Back in 1995 I had a young draftee live with me for a year & he played under Plough, so I got to know him a bit. As I have said previously I was disappointed with the manner of his departure & if you take him on face value, it seems he is too.

I'd have no problem seeing him back at the club as I would any former player.

I was at training, drinking with Hawk's sister back in the Social Club when Terry Wallace had his first training run. It was all in close stuff, one on one, one on two etc... & he was just terrific that night. Gave everyone a spring in their step.

Other than Friday night, I wish him, his wife & children all the very best.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 09:32 PM
I felt his apology was genuine & sincere & I reckon his boys would still barrack for the club too.

One of his offspring does barrack for us. Wallace has mended a fence or two already albeit behind the scenes he wasnt prompted to hand out the apology & seemed very genuine. He still maintains contact with a few of the bulldog folk.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 09:50 PM
If the apology was geniune he would have done it ages ago. All he is doing is trying repair the bridges he burnt 7 years back because he might need it for a new job.

mighty_west
01-06-2009, 10:29 PM
If the apology was geniune he would have done it ages ago. All he is doing is trying repair the bridges he burnt 7 years back because he might need it for a new job.

The only job i could see him appying for would be as a footy manager, and i believe he would be very good at that role, his time has now passed as a coach, once you failed as a coach, as he did at Richmond [he was successful at our club without a Premiership], no one will want a bar of him, so i very much doubt that he HAD TO apologise just to get another head coching job.

Trying to repair the bridges he burnt, no doubt what so ever, otherwise he would never have apologised, nothing wrong with doing that!.

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 11:03 PM

You think he's done well, I reckon he betrayed us and his achievements have been well overstated. I enjoy football having its characters, villans and foes. I'm not going to clap and admire someone I think is a tool. I'm tired of the "let's all hold hands and be forgiving" niceities exhibited by some here.

I enjoy the tribal nature of loving the red, white and blue and not having time for opportunist weasels like Wallace.

AndrewP6
01-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Are you saying that he would have no interest in players that came into the club during his time that he would have helped to develop and spent x amount of hours a week with? Or that he would have no input in the recruiting of these players?

I still follow the careers of our ex-players like the Farren Rays, Sam Powers, Jordan McMahons etc and hope they play well and I am just a supporter.

No, I'm sure he followed them from afar. Just wonder how much interest he really had after leaving, when he recruited them and then buggered off... because he'd "lost the passion". I just find it hard to believe anything he says. Wouldn't buy a used car off him, put it that way!

Personally, I don't much care for the way McMahon spoke of the Dogs when he left either. To bag "the previous club" after we arranged a trade was ordinary form IMO. Sam Power I'm not fussed by, wish him well. Bit dirty on Ray for witholding his talent until he got to Moorabbin!!:)

LostDoggy
01-06-2009, 11:36 PM
For all the Wallace apologists, let's not go back seven years. Let's just ask his CURRENT team what they think of him. You don't have to go very far to see that he's lost his players, including his leadership grop (apart from Ben Cousins, who owes him one, and that's hardly a glowing recommendation is it).

Why is that, one wonders, if he is such a wonderful bloke?

(Perhaps they're all just sick of him taking credit for everything good that happens, and shifting blame for everything bad?)

BulldogBelle
02-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Just watching footy confidential and the discussion was about Wallace's apology to the Dogs...here is the response from the Dogs..

Western Bulldogs Statement ( Thanks to Foxtel IQ pause button, so I can type it up )

"David Smorgon has unreservedly accepted Terry's apology to fans and himself but the club remains focussed on Friday night and having its second consecutive win against the Tigers."

Rocket Science
02-06-2009, 02:17 AM
Mildly interesting that while taking us to two prelims is routinely cited amongst Terry's achievements, he also therefore presided over what's arguably our darkest on-field hour, certainly in my lifetime as a supporter, courtesy of the result in '97.

You can't have one without the other.

Scraggers
02-06-2009, 02:37 AM
I've stated before, I don't like the way he left us, and for this I will never forgive ... but I do hope at the end of the game both team's players get together to applaud his departure from the footy field

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 08:41 AM
I've stated before, I don't like the way he left us, and for this I will never forgive ... but I do hope at the end of the game both team's players get together to applaud his departure from the footy field

He got his applauds from me when he was with us. Not sure why he needs more cos he has done nothing for us since.

Desipura
02-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Great post - it seems to me that he left us with a "basket case" list and is doing the same for Richmond. Heard some others on the radio talking about him today, and they listed his "list management" and "player development" as his 2 big areas of weakness. Well, bugger me, what a surprise! I commented on another thread that he was a very courageous player, and at times, thought he was a pretty good coach, but I too now believe we "underachieved" in 97 and 98! I would shudder to think that the dogs would have him back in any shape or form - no, no, no! I hope our boys give him the send off he deserves - and we murder 'em! I wish him well in whatever he chooses to do, just as long as it doesn't involve my beloved doggies!
I was listening to Tony Jones this morning and he said EXACTLY the same thing I did (almost quoted me word for word). He said it was like an interview with Terry stating a number of times his corporate background.
I will not be booing nor will I be cheering Terry, I will just be remaining 'dead silent'.

Sleeve1970
02-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I agree.

Mate said it all. This is the guy who took us down the ladder, recruited only small, had a crap game plan and ran when the going got tough. I usually dont hold a grudge but Terry the way you left the dogs left a bad taste in a lot of mouths. Good luck with your projects but dont expect open loving arms from a lot of the members. Funny how he done this now that the bulldogs are in a stronger position then ever have been.

I wonder if Nathan Brown will do the same thing now.....

Desipura
02-06-2009, 08:51 AM
if Wayne Campbell gets the gig, I might just dislike Richmond more than I ever have :D

ledge
02-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Browny and McMahon, second time he has walked out on them, wonder what they think.
And these 2 will be struggling now to keep on the list.

BulldogBelle
02-06-2009, 07:30 PM
if Wayne Campbell gets the gig, I might just dislike Richmond more than I ever have :D

Wayne Campbell doesn't worry me...it's David King I don't particularly think much of. I always remember King doing those silly aeroplane gliding motions halfway around the ground after kicking a goal...I used to hate it.

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Not that I care but I don't think a 1st year coach at Richmond is the way to go.
They need a cultural change club wide and no first year coach is strong or experienced enough to start the ball rolling there.

mighty_west
02-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Not that I care but I don't think a 1st year coach at Richmond is the way to go.
They need a cultural change club wide and no first year coach is strong or experienced enough to start the ball rolling there.

Not even a Buckley?

Vossy's working wonders at Brisbane.

ledge
02-06-2009, 07:49 PM
I tend to agree with Ernie, i believe they need a complete new board, upstairs is as much a mess as the coaching situation, new broom.

azabob
02-06-2009, 08:07 PM
I tend to agree with Ernie, i believe they need a complete new board, upstairs is as much a mess as the coaching situation, new broom.

Why do you think that? Gary March hasn't really been there that long, 18mths? From afar its hard to judge, but he moved Miller on, now he has moved Wallace on he is slowy but surely getting new people into the club.

I think regardless of who you are it is hard to change the culture of a place wether you are young or old, experienced or inexperienced. I think it depends on your personality type. I think they should go for a first time coach. From memory Pagan / Wallace / Eade were the last experienced coaches appointed.

Which experienced coach do you think they should look at?

ledge
02-06-2009, 08:09 PM
I think they are waiting for Malthouse at the end of the year thats why its a caretaker coach for now.

ledge
02-06-2009, 08:20 PM
I dont think its just Miller who needed moving on as you said its the culture, the only way to change culture is with a whole new brd and football admin.

March comes across a bit weak to me, i could be wrong but he doesnt seem to be like others, strong personality type you need in that position.

I would expect a huge change with the next coach coming in football admin wise as obviously they havent got anywhere with the people there now.
Would you coach with the same people with the record they have?

Desipura
02-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Wayne Campbell doesn't worry me...it's David King I don't particularly think much of. I always remember King doing those silly aeroplane gliding motions halfway around the ground after kicking a goal...I used to hate it.
No different to how we used to celebrate a goal in 1997 like the soccer players do, it annoyed the opposition BIG TIME

The Adelaide Connection
02-06-2009, 08:36 PM
You think he's done well, I reckon he betrayed us and his achievements have been well overstated. I enjoy football having its characters, villans and foes. I'm not going to clap and admire someone I think is a tool. I'm tired of the "let's all hold hands and be forgiving" niceities exhibited by some here.

I enjoy the tribal nature of loving the red, white and blue and not having time for opportunist weasels like Wallace.

I am not vouching for his character and I don't care if people like him or not. The position I am putting forward is that it is inapproriate to send him off with a chorus of booing. Whether you think his achievements have been overstated or not, 501 total combined games IS a great achievement and winning a few Best and Fairest medals at our club suggest that he was not exactly without his merits.

Not clapping seems stubborn. Booing as he walks off would be a disgrace.

Remi Moses
02-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Totally agree. The bloke has apologised, which can't have been an easy thing to do. I don't care if it is a little late, in fact he didn't really have to apologise at all and it wouldn't have changed the fact that he did some bloody good things for our club.

Little late 7 years:rolleyes::rolleyes:. I can't take this list any further, I built this list.Walking forever talking contradiction.So why didn't he need to apologise? Yourefer to some of us on here as childis,well I'd rather be perceived as childish than support someone who blatantly lied [i.e Sydney coaching job].Hold hands and smoke the peace pipe to your hearts content if you like.

Desipura
02-06-2009, 08:49 PM
I am not vouching for his character and I don't care if people like him or not. The position I am putting forward is that it is inapproriate to send him off with a chorus of booing. Whether you think his achievements have been overstated or not, 501 total combined games IS a great achievement and winning a few Best and Fairest medals at our club suggest that he was not exactly without his merits.

Ask yourself why Granty does not have time for this individual. (Did not even shake his hand in the record breaking game, who's stubborn???)
Im willing to take turtle's side without even knowing the full facts, thats how much I rate him as an individual.

BulldogBelle
02-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Ppl's there are always going to be differing opinions on things - some forgive Terry Wallace and some don't, some will boo and some won't. How everyone reacts to him is their choice to make. We can debate it here till we are blue in the face but at the end of the day each and everyone to their own. Just agree to disagree is probably the best road to take.

Remi Moses
02-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Ask yourself why Granty does not have time for this individual. (Did not even shake his hand in the record breaking game, who's stubborn???)
Im willing to take turtle's side without even knowing the full facts, thats how much I rate him as an individual.

I wont tell you what one of our favourite sons[no names] thinks of Wallace,starts with the letter C.

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 09:03 PM
A bit of the history via a journalist at the time:

Smorgon's Dogs turn on former coach

By Caroline Wilson
August 29 2002

You have to hand it to David Smorgon. His off-field record at the Western Bulldogs is not good. The club is pathetically reliant on the AFL, its financial loss over the most recent two-year period will top $3 million and, if the senior staff turnover in recent months is anything to go by, Smorgon has made some poor recruiting choices.

But yesterday he proved once again why everybody thinks he is a good club president.

There are two reasons. One is that he is a great front man and the second is that when the chips cannot drop any further, Smorgon comes alive.

Yesterday he left Terry Wallace in his wake. Largely through the coach's own doing but also because Smorgon took him on - with the emotional backing of his players - and handsomely won.

There are worse villains in football than Wallace, but not today there aren't. Knowing he has that massive public opinion on his side, Smorgon has now made Wallace extremely angry and reportedly his manager Craig Kelly somewhat edgy.

The Bulldogs are convinced that Wallace has an agreement with the Swans. An agreement - if in anyway official - that has breached his contract with his old club. Smorgon has made it clear that he will not release Wallace from the rest of his four-year deal without a transfer fee.

A day is a long time in football. Particularly in late August. Smorgon took a public relations punt at Tuesday's news conference when he called on Bulldog supporters to turn up against Collingwood in droves to support Wallace. His enthusiasm sounded as hollow as Wallace and his management's insistence that he had no job to go to.

But Smorgon had also punted upon his players. And he waited.

They, in turn, slept on the Wallace bombshell before they turned on him. On Tuesday, it was shock and confusion. Yesterday, for many key senior stars, anger took over.

Wallace thought he was doing the right thing by turning up at Dimattina's on Tuesday evening.

But it was the wrong move. The players did not want him at a spleen-venting session when he was the subject of all the angst. His presence stifled them. And he even thought he could join the players at their end-of-season drink-up next week. Wrong.

It was a dreadful training session yesterday morning. Confused, bitter, lethargic even.

It was that attempt to work with Wallace that made the senior playing group, led by Chris Grant, realise they could not in all honesty play for him on Saturday.

Mick Malthouse's Pies face a much tougher contest against Peter Rohde's Western Bulldogs than they would have against Terry Wallace's.

On 3AW the talkback registered so savagely against Wallace that program director Clarke Forbes moved to remove him from the station's finals commentary team.

The decision was hotly debated with station regular and finals special commentator Gerard Healy threatening not to commentate also.

The western region of Melbourne is an important part of the station's demographic, but 3AW has now deferred the decision depending upon the availability of other regulars.

It became clear yesterday that Wallace, who has not committed treason after all, made a series of misjudgments.

Because neither he nor his management could be honest about what is truly going on - and clearly has been going on for some time - it would have been more prudent to quit next week.

At least then they could have announced reasonably quickly where he was going and avoided the inevitable and ongoing scrutiny. Because the finals would have taken over and there was no training session to face. Nobody seriously believed at Tuesday's announcement that Wallace would quit without knowing he had a job to go to. Surely no coach in this dog-eat-dog market is that confident.

No, Wallace backed himself when he chose to turn his back on the Bulldogs, but not in terms of a coaching position. The first AFL coach to pull on the headset and give an interview during a game backed himself in the battle for public opinion.

The media has always liked him and given Wallace the benefit of the doubt, even with some of the questionable on-field stuff the Doggies have dished up during his reign.

And the Bulldog fans loved him. Yesterday it became clear they loved the Bulldogs more. And he chose a formidable if indirect opponent in Paul Roos, the man in the white hat. The man who has every right to feel as duped as the Bulldogs.

Source (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/08/28/1030508073849.html)

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Not even a Buckley?

Vossy's working wonders at Brisbane.

Even Buckley.

With Voss, he has proven nothing yet. It just turned June and they haven't beaten anyone of note and there is no need for a change of culture at Brisbane.

bulldogtragic
02-06-2009, 09:47 PM
A bit of the history via a journalist at the time:

Smorgon's Dogs turn on former coach

By Caroline Wilson
August 29 2002

You have to hand it to David Smorgon. His off-field record at the Western Bulldogs is not good. The club is pathetically reliant on the AFL, its financial loss over the most recent two-year period will top $3 million and, if the senior staff turnover in recent months is anything to go by, Smorgon has made some poor recruiting choices.

But yesterday he proved once again why everybody thinks he is a good club president.

There are two reasons. One is that he is a great front man and the second is that when the chips cannot drop any further, Smorgon comes alive.

Yesterday he left Terry Wallace in his wake. Largely through the coach's own doing but also because Smorgon took him on - with the emotional backing of his players - and handsomely won.

There are worse villains in football than Wallace, but not today there aren't. Knowing he has that massive public opinion on his side, Smorgon has now made Wallace extremely angry and reportedly his manager Craig Kelly somewhat edgy.

The Bulldogs are convinced that Wallace has an agreement with the Swans. An agreement - if in anyway official - that has breached his contract with his old club. Smorgon has made it clear that he will not release Wallace from the rest of his four-year deal without a transfer fee.

A day is a long time in football. Particularly in late August. Smorgon took a public relations punt at Tuesday's news conference when he called on Bulldog supporters to turn up against Collingwood in droves to support Wallace. His enthusiasm sounded as hollow as Wallace and his management's insistence that he had no job to go to.

But Smorgon had also punted upon his players. And he waited.

They, in turn, slept on the Wallace bombshell before they turned on him. On Tuesday, it was shock and confusion. Yesterday, for many key senior stars, anger took over.

Wallace thought he was doing the right thing by turning up at Dimattina's on Tuesday evening.

But it was the wrong move. The players did not want him at a spleen-venting session when he was the subject of all the angst. His presence stifled them. And he even thought he could join the players at their end-of-season drink-up next week. Wrong.

It was a dreadful training session yesterday morning. Confused, bitter, lethargic even.

It was that attempt to work with Wallace that made the senior playing group, led by Chris Grant, realise they could not in all honesty play for him on Saturday.

Mick Malthouse's Pies face a much tougher contest against Peter Rohde's Western Bulldogs than they would have against Terry Wallace's.

On 3AW the talkback registered so savagely against Wallace that program director Clarke Forbes moved to remove him from the station's finals commentary team.

The decision was hotly debated with station regular and finals special commentator Gerard Healy threatening not to commentate also.

The western region of Melbourne is an important part of the station's demographic, but 3AW has now deferred the decision depending upon the availability of other regulars.

It became clear yesterday that Wallace, who has not committed treason after all, made a series of misjudgments.

Because neither he nor his management could be honest about what is truly going on - and clearly has been going on for some time - it would have been more prudent to quit next week.

At least then they could have announced reasonably quickly where he was going and avoided the inevitable and ongoing scrutiny. Because the finals would have taken over and there was no training session to face. Nobody seriously believed at Tuesday's announcement that Wallace would quit without knowing he had a job to go to. Surely no coach in this dog-eat-dog market is that confident.

No, Wallace backed himself when he chose to turn his back on the Bulldogs, but not in terms of a coaching position. The first AFL coach to pull on the headset and give an interview during a game backed himself in the battle for public opinion.

The media has always liked him and given Wallace the benefit of the doubt, even with some of the questionable on-field stuff the Doggies have dished up during his reign.

And the Bulldog fans loved him. Yesterday it became clear they loved the Bulldogs more. And he chose a formidable if indirect opponent in Paul Roos, the man in the white hat. The man who has every right to feel as duped as the Bulldogs.

Source (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/08/28/1030508073849.html)
That's exactly why some of us still hold a grudge. Great article.

hujsh
02-06-2009, 10:36 PM

Has to start with the board IMO. Hawthorn and Clarkson worked to change the culture of the club and it worked out quite well.

hujsh
02-06-2009, 10:40 PM

Didn't like reading this bit and not too sure how fair it is (don't remember 2002 that well) but I'm certain she'd struggle to repeat the same lines about Smorgon/the club today.

LostDoggy
03-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Has to start with the board IMO. Hawthorn and Clarkson worked to change the culture of the club and it worked out quite well.

Its completely different. Since Richmond won their last flag in 1980 the Hawthorn culture was winning premierships.

LostDoggy
03-06-2009, 01:15 PM

Agree with BulldogBelle that this is largely an exercise in futility and that opinions are like arseholes with this issue as they are with most.

But when pray tell is it appropriate to boo someone for you? Or is it never appropriate?

GVGjr
03-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Agree with BulldogBelle that this is largely an exercise in futility and that opinions are like arseholes with this issue as they are with most.

But when pray tell is it appropriate to boo someone for you? Or is it never appropriate?

I think the only time it's appropriate to boo, after the age of about 12, is with shows like the Wrestling.

ledge
03-06-2009, 07:33 PM
when you see Andrew Hilditch?

hujsh
03-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Its completely different. Since Richmond won their last flag in 1980 the Hawthorn culture was winning premierships.

Maybe there was a winning culture at the club remaining but they still did change many aspects of their culture with a young coach.

The Adelaide Connection
03-06-2009, 08:47 PM

I don't actually have a problem with booing in general. When someone takes a player high in a cheap way I think it is appropriate to boo. The week Nathan Bock came back I am not saying I would have booed but have no real issue with it as it was timely and relevant.

The issue with booing Wallace as he walks off the ground is that it will be the end of his career and that moment will represent his entire career. Therefore booing would be booing his entire career, which I think is in bad taste.

mighty_west
03-06-2009, 09:21 PM
To boo or not to booo, that is the question, me, whilst i accepted his apology, i won't be applauding or booing, he was our coach far too long ago to get that now, and who knows, he could still get a gig at a club down the track.

Who said his career was officially over?

Does a coach who has failed his final 7 years deserve such praise? whilst he was good at our club [for most part], he went down hill in his last 2 with us, and 5 at Richmond.

He isn't Sheeds.

The Adelaide Connection
03-06-2009, 09:28 PM
To boo or not to booo, that is the question, me, whilst i accepted his apology, i won't be applauding or booing, he was our coach far too long ago to get that now, and who knows, he could still get a gig at a club down the track.

Who said his career was officially over?

Does a coach who has failed his final 7 years deserve such praise? whilst he was good at our club [for most part], he went down hill in his last 2 with us, and 5 at Richmond.

He isn't Sheeds.

His playing/coaching career certainly is.

The point is not if he was any good or not. He has given the game great service.

If a bloke worked at a company for 30 years but was a little obsolete and not that productive in the twilight of his career would you deny him his cake and handshake?

Besides Wallace has had an amazing career, regardless of his coaching record over the past 7.

mighty_west
03-06-2009, 09:45 PM

The point is not if he was any good or not. He has given the game great service.

If a bloke worked at a company for 30 years but was a little obsolete and not that productive in the twilight of his career would you deny him his cake and handshake?

Besides Wallace has had an amazing career, regardless of his coaching record over the past 7.

Yes BUT, he would have had his 5 minutes in the sun after his playing career, was a very good player for both us & The Hawks, and a Premiership player.

But, as a coach, 10 years or so, no Premierships, successful at the Dogs without a Premiership, but you mix in his coaching record at the Tigers along with the way he left our club, i'm not too sure there would be too many with your view.

I think people have to remember, whichever way you lean, it's not wrong or right, but just your opinion.

The Adelaide Connection
03-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Yes BUT, he would have had his 5 minutes in the sun after his playing career, was a very good player for both us & The Hawks, and a Premiership player.

But, as a coach, 10 years or so, no Premierships, successful at the Dogs without a Premiership, but you mix in his coaching record at the Tigers along with the way he left our club, i'm not too sure there would be too many with your view.

I think people have to remember, whichever way you lean, it's not wrong or right, but just your opinion.

Oh for sure, but it is a great point to debate. I certainly can see that the opinions going the other way are valid and don't think any less of the people making them, just lean the other way.

As for the coaching part, you couldn't deny that the guy tried his arse off at the Tigers. I have an enormous respect for any AFL coach as it is a demanding looking job on the surface, the reality would be much harsher I feel. It may be that the game had moved on too much for him, but the reality is that they probably assumed the same thing with Sheedy after his last three seasons landed the bombers in the bottom 4. Regardless I don't think average results could warrant being booed, otherwise we have a lot of coaches and players with a lot to answer for.

LostDoggy
03-06-2009, 10:50 PM
I was listening to Tony Jones this morning and he said EXACTLY the same thing I did (almost quoted me word for word). He said it was like an interview with Terry stating a number of times his corporate background.
I will not be booing nor will I be cheering Terry, I will just be remaining 'dead silent'.

Again, Desipura, have to agree with you - I too will not boo, nor will I cheer - I think silence is the way to go. Let the Richmond supporters cheer him off (do you think they will want to??) and us doggies just stay silent. IMO, booing him would not achieve anything - surely we dogs supporters are bigger than that, more grown up even??:)

LostDoggy
03-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Maybe there was a winning culture at the club remaining but they still did change many aspects of their culture with a young coach.

Still Richmond culture compared with Hawthorn culture are worlds apart.

hujsh
04-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Still Richmond culture compared with Hawthorn culture are worlds apart.

True.

LostDoggy
04-06-2009, 05:44 PM
The issue with booing Wallace as he walks off the ground is that it will be the end of his career and that moment will represent his entire career. Therefore booing would be booing his entire career, which I think is in bad taste.

Pfffft.

BulldogBelle
04-06-2009, 09:58 PM
For those that watch The Footy Show - Wallace will be on having a one on one with Sam Newman. Street talk this week is in Footscray where he will ask the people what they though of the Wallace apology to the Western Bulldogs.

See Here (http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/enews/nine/Terry-Wallace-Exclusive-on-The-Footy-Show-040609.html)

The Adelaide Connection
04-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Pfffft.

Quality post champ.

LostDoggy
04-06-2009, 11:29 PM
On the Footy Show right now, rambling on and on. The effort he goes to to avoid the question!
Just claimed credit for Cooney and Griffen.

LostDoggy
04-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Just Answer Yes Or No, Terry!

LostDoggy
04-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Quality post champ.

Slimey, dishonest weasel. As tonight's interview showed. Wriggling his way out of any answer to straight-up questions. Accepting no responsibility for his own disloyal and conniving behaviour.

Deserves NO respect.

GVGjr
04-06-2009, 11:46 PM
I thought he handled himself well again tonight. It can't be easy to have your career end so publicly and to be put under the microscope by Sam (good interview) but he stuck to his guns and he confirmed a few things that have been lingering around the traps

He should have accepted in part the responsibility for Richmond's woes rather than providing a 20 year history lesson though.

bornadog
05-06-2009, 12:12 AM
I thought he handled himself well again tonight. It can't be easy to have your career end so publicly and to be put under the microscope by Sam (good interview) but he stuck to his guns and he confirmed a few things that have been lingering around the traps

He should have accepted in part the responsibility for Richmond's woes rather than providing a 20 year history lesson though.

Unfortunately tried to say his reason for leaving the club was to help the footy department and help the club with its financial position. What a lot of garbage that is. Yes, its true he met with Smorgon and Campbell, they said they were cutting costs, they probably asked him to take a pay cut. He cracked it and said he would look else where.

Gee Terry, your never in the wrong.

LostDoggy
05-06-2009, 09:25 AM
He could have quite easily said no to the interview.

Mantis
05-06-2009, 09:34 AM
He could have quite easily said no to the interview.

Or do it next week once he had finished his role at Richmond.

He is just a media whore.

bulldogtragic
05-06-2009, 10:43 AM
One - I don't understand why he did the interview.

Two - Even my wife (a timid and avid Hawks member) was swearing at the TV at his answers.

Three - His responses have made me angry. I was annoyed, it was 7 years ago, but he mended no fences and healed no wounds. I think he wanted one last chance to pot the club.

aker39
05-06-2009, 10:59 AM
This is a basic summary of what he said

He asserted the following

He only resigned to “do the Dogs a favour” by allowing them to save money on his salary (only after further probing did he admit he established prior to this conversation there was a vacancy in Sydney waiting for him)

As a result of him leaving and the club bottoming out, it allowed them to draft Cooney & Griffin. That would be like Hitler taking credit for the Berlin Wall coming down

He refused to be blamed for the drafting selections at Tigerland even though he said the club did not have a recruiting manager for 3 years. Conversely, he said no one gave him credit for the bulldogs drafting of Murphy, Gia, Lake etc. Ummmm, wasn’t that Scott Clayton’s job.

Rocket Science
05-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Am both galled and stunned at how eager and persistent he is to garner public credit for what's happening at a club he hasn't been within cooee of for 7 years.

"I'll do you a deal Sam"...real smooth...before delivering the twisted line about being happy to be take responsibility for Richmond's woeful recruiting during his tenure, if he can likewise take credit for the Bulldogs' recruiting.

Have seldom witnessed so much side-stepping in such a concentrated span. It didn't let up. The whole shabang was Wallace at his elusive best.

aker39
05-06-2009, 11:11 AM
The big positive to come out of the interview was that it showed Wallace to the football world what a bullshit artist he really is.

LostDoggy
05-06-2009, 11:46 AM
The big positive to come out of the interview was that it showed Wallace to the football world what a bullshit artist he really is.

Agreed.

No doubt he'll take on a role somewhere as a pundit for a bit, and then return somewhere in a football department role not unlike Neil Balme. I pity the fool that he ends up with.

LostDoggy
05-06-2009, 12:27 PM

He only resigned to “do the Dogs a favour” by allowing them to save money on his salary (only after further probing did he admit he established prior to this conversation there was a vacancy in Sydney waiting for him)

As a result of him leaving and the club bottoming out, it allowed them to draft Cooney & Griffin. That would be like Hitler taking credit for the Berlin Wall coming down

He refused to be blamed for the drafting selections at Tigerland even though he said the club did not have a recruiting manager for 3 years. Conversely, he said no one gave him credit for the bulldogs drafting of Murphy, Gia, Lake etc. Ummmm, wasn’t that Scott Clayton’s job.

Aker39, couldn't agree with you more! I was disgusted at the answers he gave - does he really think we are all stupid? He gives Bulldogs supporters no respect at all. Yes, he was told there would be cuts, he then had his management go out and see what was available, (ie. Sydney), came back and offered to save us some money!!! Then, he wouldn't answer the question about Sydney giving him some payout but did you notice how red his neck went! Certainly didn't change my mind about how he left, in fact, just confirmed it more. :mad:

Remi Moses
05-06-2009, 06:22 PM

Amazing spare me please. Don't compare Wallace with Sheedy,silly silly comparison:rolleyes:

Remi Moses
05-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Amazing terry's cheer squad leader isn't on here defending him.

The Pie Man
05-06-2009, 06:52 PM

Not bad

I didn't see the interview, but from what I've read, it doesn't reflect well.

The Adelaide Connection
05-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Amazing spare me please. Don't compare Wallace with Sheedy,silly silly comparison:rolleyes:

That post has nothing about Sheedy in it and I think I made a fairly good point in it.

Silly, silly quoting :rolleyes:

Remi Moses
06-06-2009, 04:41 AM

yes they all stood and cheered Wallace,nobody booed our fans cheered Ryan Hargrave off for his 150th. Just get on Punt rd end .com and give your views on the achievements of Terry Wallace at their club. Just keep defending the indefensible if you like.Interesting contradiction he built our list but Richmond suffered from bad recruiting. So I take it he was our recruiting officer and coach ,but just the coach at Punt rd.

Topdog
06-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Remi, I don't think TAC is saying anywhere that Terry is a great bloke or an outstanding coach. Just that you shouldn't boo someone who has given over 25 years of service to the game.

I was never going to boo Terry even though I think he is a prick.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Remi, I don't think TAC is saying anywhere that Terry is a great bloke or an outstanding coach. Just that you shouldn't boo someone who has given over 25 years of service to the game.

I could hear some booing as Wallace was leaving.

The Coon Dog
06-06-2009, 01:01 PM
For those who didn't see the CGU ad featuring Sam as Terry the week before last.

1qFPf8dA9PQ

Remi Moses
06-06-2009, 06:58 PM

Look i reckon the booing thing is much ado about nothing. Never was going to happen.
Just don't get why Wallace did the interview on Thursday night and re-opened old sores.
Why did he coach last night ? What was the point! Unfortunately it's all about himself much to his football clubs detrement

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Terry Wallace, fact and friction (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25594029-19742,00.html)
Damian Barrett | June 06, 2009

THURSDAY was an ordinary day for some high-profile Australians.

Defence Minister Joel Fitzgibbon had a really bad one, cricketer Andrew Symonds a shocker.

State Planning Minister Justin Madden was left wondering where it all went wrong and a couple of once-squeaky clean soapie stars forced their PR people into overdrive.

Then there was Terry Wallace, who left it until late that night to also put himself in contention for Highest Profiled Aussie To Have A Bad June 4, 2009.

Wallace, simply, car-crashed his way through an interview with Sam Newman on The Footy Show.

It was only 11 or so minutes long, but unfortunately ample time for him to re-open many old wounds and almost certainly shut many potential avenues for future employment at footy club level.

Not enough was said about some key aspects of his past and yet way too much was offered about other facets.

Throughout there was awkward unease, as though every response to Newman's outstanding probing had the potential to blow up in Wallace's face.

Last night Wallace took part in his 501st, and seemingly last, match as a VFL/AFL player and coach.

On Monday, he and Richmond had announced their separation as part of a press conference that was also used by Wallace to apologise to his former club, Western Bulldogs.

During the Thursday night interview, he effectively undid that apology by revealing private conversations and dealings between himself and Bulldogs powerbrokers Campbell Rose and David Smorgon during his last weeks at the club in 2002.

When you're trying to seek public forgiveness for past actions, it's best not to unearth private and awkward matters from those times.

Amid all the conjecture surrounding Wallace's exit from the Bulldogs, the inescapable fact was that he chose to leave with two years and one match remaining on a contract.

We learnt Wallace felt it was only sometimes OK to publicly reveal details of private conversations, though, because he defiantly protected his right not to disclose what Tiger captain Chris Newman said to him two weeks ago.

We also learnt Wallace wanted credit for the Bulldogs' recruiting if he was going to be forced to accept responsibility for Richmond's.

Strange argument, that one, and surely a "don't go there" part of any interview for him.

Everyone in the football world has known for a long time that Wallace left the Bulldogs to pursue the main job at Sydney.

Wallace at least alluded to that in the Newman interview.

But why do so now when he had always dodged the real answer?

Like all good media performers, Wallace attempted on a few occasions to take his interviewer away from the question just asked, and we -- yet again -- got to hear how he inherited a "basket case" from Danny Frawley at Richmond, and of there being no significant player development structure.

Frawley, in his time at the club, took the Tigers to a preliminary final and aren't senior coaches themselves meant to develop players on their list?

Wallace always wanted a farewell from the Bulldogs, but rightfully, the club never gave it to him.

Richmond allowed him a final match, which is why he should have chosen next week, and not Thursday, to publicly address the many matters in his professional life requiring explanation.

For in agreeing to sit down with Newman, he became so caught up in years and years of his own spin that even he gave the impression he could no longer remember what was fact and what, simply, has always been an all too neatly presented version of it.

Good write up, in my opinion.