PDA

View Full Version : Sign Higgins Now!!!!

bulldogtragic
06-06-2009, 01:04 AM
Standard TripleM rumour mungering, but since most big names are off the table, and as one of Clayton's favourites, they were suggesting GC17 will/are going after him strongly.

Boy was he a steal at 11. Everyone had him going top 5 for what its worth.

All class.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-06-2009, 01:12 AM
He's an absolute freak.

His skill level and decision making is absolutely first rate - up there with the very best in the competition.

Prior to this season, we all had doubts on his ability to turn himself into a midfielder. He lacked fitness, a defensive edge and was primarily a half forward. He's turned that theory on its head this season with some sublime work in close and around the ground. He works very hard and glides across the ground.

I must admit - he's my favourite player to watch.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-06-2009, 01:12 AM
You'd like to think we are working hard about getting it sorted... for mine he is our long term Captain option down the track.

Dogs. Commence Mission Get Missy post haste!!!!

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 01:13 AM
I think in a recent article it said the club was in talks with higgins to sign a long term deal. Does anyone know what the current situation is?

comrade
06-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Yep, get it done Campbell.

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 01:27 AM
I would be devestated if he left - more than when Judas did, because he is such a nice kid as well.

Throughandthrough
06-06-2009, 01:45 AM
And the only current player to have shared a taxi with me!

(and he paid)

Top bloke.

PS do I win something for dropping that on this site for the 100th time?

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 01:47 AM

(and he paid)

Top bloke.

When did you share a taxi with him?

Throughandthrough
06-06-2009, 01:53 AM
When did you share a taxi with him?

Thanks for asking :)

I went to our final in Perth a few years back when we got belted by the Eagles.:mad:

The night before, i went to the Freeo v Melbourne final, also at Subiaco

Was waiting for ever to get a taxi from the Subiaco Strip, and recognised Higgo (and Damien McCormack) also in the queue. (Wearing casual stuff)

Higgins was out injured. They had paid their own $$$ to fly over and watch the Doggies play.

After waiting 10 minutes for a cab, where they were staying was on roughly the same direction, so all aboard!

I caught up with D-Mac last year here in Adelaide, he vaguely remembered some drunken stalker who wouldn't shut up :)

bulldogtragic
06-06-2009, 01:56 AM
How is D-Mac travelling?

AndrewP6
06-06-2009, 02:06 AM
GET HIM....NOW.... I'll kick in a couple of hundred to tip us over the line...

boydogs
06-06-2009, 02:21 AM
Sign him for as long as possible - would prefer to offer him extra years than money with salary cap issues on the horizon if we win the flag :D

Sockeye Salmon
06-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Isn't it going to be wonderful when free agency kicks in and we go through this every year?

Go_Dogs
06-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Isn't it going to be wonderful when free agency kicks in and we go through this every year?

Yeah I can't wait...

Jasper
06-06-2009, 10:50 AM

Just about says it all. Unless the qualifactions for Free Agency are strict we will go through this type of thing every year.

1eyedog
06-06-2009, 11:11 AM
He's an absolute freak.

His skill level and decision making is absolutely first rate - up there with the very best in the competition.

Prior to this season, we all had doubts on his ability to turn himself into a midfielder. He lacked fitness, a defensive edge and was primarily a half forward. He's turned that theory on its head this season with some sublime work in close and around the ground. He works very hard and glides across the ground.

I must admit - he's my favourite player to watch.

Yep and his disposal effectiveness is sitting at 90% for the year. Incredible!

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I think he's our next captain would be a shame if he was to leave

LostDoggy
07-06-2009, 01:32 PM
On Nine's Sunday Footy Show they said Lake is looking for a lot more dough in signing a new contract. I really hope we can give him a good deal as he is a real key to our team. He also said Higgins is a pretty big headed kind of kid. I'm not sure if he was joking or what but someone like Higgins would probably take a serious look at the GC team.

BulldogBelle
07-06-2009, 01:52 PM
On Nine's Sunday Footy Show they said Lake is looking for a lot more dough in signing a new contract.

In The Herald Sun today there was a snippet about it in Hutchy's column...I can't locate a link to it but this is what he wrote -

The Price of Brian

It's early days in negotiations but already Brian Lake's discussions with the Bulldogs over a contract are creating industry scuttlebutt.

Lake's deal expires at season end and the full-back is believed to be seeking a contract well north of $300,000 a season. Given his form and the dearth of full-backs it's an understandable view.

Some clubs would rip out a chequebook to secure a key defender in this recruiting landscape and the Dogs would be hard pressed to match rival bids. The Bulldogs are confident they can strike a deal, but neither the Dogs or Lake's manager Rick Olarenshaw, would comment this week.

AndrewP6
07-06-2009, 01:54 PM
On Nine's Sunday Footy Show they said Lake is looking for a lot more dough in signing a new contract. I really hope we can give him a good deal as he is a real key to our team. He also said Higgins is a pretty big headed kind of kid. I'm not sure if he was joking or what but someone like Higgins would probably take a serious look at the GC team.

Didn't see it but I'm fairly sure he would have been joking! Don't think even Brian would make that sort of "frank admission" on telly!... God help us if that sways Higgin's opinion

BulldogBelle
07-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Didn't see it but I'm fairly sure he would have been joking!

It was said in jest, that is how I took it. Higgins ofcourse will look at it, doesn't necessarily mean he will go.

Happy Days
07-06-2009, 02:06 PM
It was said in jest, that is how I took it. Higgins ofcourse will look at it, doesn't necessarily mean he will go.

I think it was in reference to the actual physical size of his head, not any metaphoric connatations that it may have.

BulldogBelle
07-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I think it was in reference to the actual physical size of his head, not any metaphoric connatations that it may have.

That's right - Lake said that Higgin's body has finally caught up with the size of his head. All said in jest trying to get a laugh.

comrade
07-06-2009, 04:02 PM
The Bulldogs are confident they can strike a deal, but neither the Dogs or Lake's manager Rick Olarenshaw, would comment this week.

This could turn out well :rolleyes:

bulldogtragic
07-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Rick Olarenshaw was Farren's manager was he not ....

The Bulldogs Bite
07-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Rick Olarenshaw was Farren's manager was he not ....

Correct.

To say he handled the situation poorly would be an understatement.

Lucky for Ray, he's turned things around so far.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Correct.

To say he handled the situation poorly would be an understatement.

Lucky for Ray, he's turned things around so far.
I was furious with the way Olarenshaw dealt with it. I initially took it out on Farren, but Olarenshaw acted like a mercinary and hung us out to dry.

It had better be a once off.

Dancin' Douggy
07-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Olarenshaw is a peanut.

Bulldog4life
07-06-2009, 08:59 PM

(and he paid)

Top bloke.

No, because it is only the first time I've read it.:)

Bulldog4life
07-06-2009, 09:03 PM

He was joking. When he first came to the Club Missy was teased about the bigness of his head, in a physical sense, to the rest of his body.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2009, 09:08 PM
He was joking. When he first came to the Club Missy was teased about the bigness of his head, in a physical sense, to the rest of his body.
Yeah, quite funny too i thought. The comment was his body growing to the size for his head.

LostDoggy
07-06-2009, 09:09 PM
He also said he is looking for a new house in Williamstown. That sounds like he is staying to me. Unless its an investment property of course.

comrade
07-06-2009, 09:24 PM
He also said he is looking for a new house in Williamstown. That sounds like he is staying to me. Unless its an investment property of course.

Lake or Higgins?

LostDoggy
07-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Lake or Higgins?
I thought he was talking about Higgins.

Jasper
07-06-2009, 09:29 PM

the comments about house was in reference to picken

MrMahatma
08-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Higgins > Griffen.

Controversial? Has surpassed him IMHO. About a season away from being the complete package.

Topdog
08-06-2009, 08:15 AM
He also said Picken has a big head now and joked that in March he would never talk but now you can't shut him up.

Lake was pretty funny. Although his complete avoidance of the questions regarding him re-signing worried me.

LostDoggy
08-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Surely with Farren Ray leaving it would have freed up some of the salary cap. I will be filthy if they don't get a deal with Lake, we won't win a premiership without him.

As for HIggins, I wait in hope:o

LostDoggy
08-06-2009, 02:16 PM
What others players are coming out of contract? Tom Williams is one, and if he signs a 1 year deal it obviously means he is headed Gold Coast's way.

hujsh
08-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Higgins > Griffen.

Controversial? Has surpassed him IMHO. About a season away from being the complete package.

Probably right.

comrade
08-06-2009, 03:07 PM
What others players are coming out of contract? Tom Williams is one, and if he signs a 1 year deal it obviously means he is headed Gold Coast's way.

Not necessarily, it just means he'll be angling for a better deal at the end of the year.

Sockeye Salmon
08-06-2009, 04:49 PM

Or it means that he's confident he'll play much better next year and is betting that he'll be offered a better contract.

LostDoggy
08-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Higgins > Griffen.

I think Griffen at his best> Higgins' best. But this year I'd agree with you that Higgins has been the better player in terms of consistent output. Higgins is 27th in the Herald Sun Player of the Year. Making him the 3rd ranked Bulldog behind Akermanis and Boyd.

MrMahatma
09-06-2009, 06:52 AM
I'd expect these contract negotiations, Lake included, will have a bearing on whether Aker will go around again. He'd be on some good money so he'll either need to take a big cut or walk I think - guys like Lake will need to be rewarded. Higgins too.

LostDoggy
09-06-2009, 01:35 PM
You'd like to think we are working hard about getting it sorted... for mine he is our long term Captain option down the track.

Dogs. Commence Mission Get Missy post haste!!!!

Couldn't agree more YHF - he promises so much more (and he's great now). Umm, just licking my lips in anticipation of the next few years watching this young man. Yes, Bulldogs, sign Missy now :D Also saw Lake on the Footy Show - he was exhibiting his dry wit with comments about Picken and Missy, but I too noted that he didn't want to give anything (nothing!) away on his contract negotiations. Hope that the club has the wherewithall to resign both of these guys.

LostDoggy
26-06-2009, 05:00 AM
Has there been any news regarding signing up bulldog players ?
There are other clubs signing but nothing for the Bulldogs..

Too quiet for my liking. Any info would be great.

easybeat
26-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I get the feeling Higgins will go to the Gold Coast.
Just a hunch.