PDA

View Full Version : Nick Naitanui

Dazza
27-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Did anybody watch the eagles vs hawks game? This kid is going to be an absolute freak. It's going to be fun watching this kid tearing it up over the next 10 years or so. We desperately need Ayce Cordy to bulk up as I think he would be the only player on our list capable of matching up on him in future years.

The Underdog
27-06-2009, 11:37 PM
I saw his first game against Richmond and tonight's. He's quiet for long periods and is still unbelievably raw but his athleticism and potential is just unbelievable. He has a lot to learn but seems to also have great instincts for the game. He's certainly going to be fun to watch although I fear the hype after tonight is going to be over the top

The Coon Dog
27-06-2009, 11:38 PM
I can see Melbourne supporters over the next 10 years wishing the Demons had of drafted him.

An absolute freak & someone who's going to drag crowds along to watch him.

I can just imagine the hype, people will be expecting a NAB Rising Star nomination this week (be hard to knock off Pears at Essendon).

Scorlibo
27-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I can see Melbourne supporters over the next 10 years wishing the Demons had of drafted him.

I can just imagine the hype, people will be expecting a NAB Rising Star nomination this week (be hard to knock off Pears at Essendon).

It's going to be a pretty tough round to pick, Pears, Beams, Naitanui, Ward all quite worthy.

Happy Days
28-06-2009, 12:40 AM
It's going to be a pretty tough round to pick, Pears, Beams, Naitanui, Ward all quite worthy.

Big call, seeing as he hasn't played yet

LostDoggy
28-06-2009, 12:56 AM

Its very very early but......
I think history will show that Melbourne will pay the price for taking the safe option in
Watts rather than Naitanui who looks a freak & could be anything!

Remi Moses
28-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Early call on watts,but supporters love seeing a genuine super star arrive when the team is struggling.

Throughandthrough
28-06-2009, 10:24 AM
The only doubt I have re Naitanui is his kicking, he has an odd action where the ball allmost goes higher then it goes longer.

But yes he was amazing last night in the last quarter, good on him.

Great for the game.

The Underdog
28-06-2009, 10:28 AM
The only doubt I have re Naitanui is his kicking, he has an odd action where the ball allmost goes higher then it goes longer.

Great for the game.

Agree, I'd be much less confident with him kicking from 30m out on a set shot than a snap, but his ability last night to smother a kick or handball then recover and win the ball was remarkable. Although not sure about his decision to go for a bounce in last nights conditions.

I think his real skill is going to be that noone of his size will be able to catch him and noone who can catch him will be able to bring him down. Once he's had a couple of seasons in the gym he'll be scary.

ledge
28-06-2009, 10:43 AM
And he so much looked like a kid with a good manner too, i hope he has the personality of a Chris Grant and not a Wayne Carey.

Dogs 24/7
28-06-2009, 10:48 AM

Great for the game.

He's exciting alright. Rich, Hill, Watts, Hartlett and Naitanui will make for some great comparisons over the next few years.

dog town
28-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Watts will be better in my opinion but it is early days. I cant believe some of the reviews I have read on some of the young players this season. Give them some time before you rate the draft for gods sake.

LostDoggy
28-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Hawthorn picked Hodge over Judd yet both have won one premiership and one Norm Smith each.

Mantis
28-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Its very very early but......
I think history will show that Melbourne will pay the price for taking the safe option in
Watts rather than Naitanui who looks a freak & could be anything!

How is drafting a potential gun CHF the safe option?

mjp
28-06-2009, 01:03 PM
If you watch him play now you will see the same thing(s) people have been talking about for a couple of years. Amazing athletic ability, some kind of 'innate' sense of timing (particularly when it comes to applying defensive pressure)...and a seeming lack of understanding of where to run and what to do for the rest of the time. And yes, his kicking is a debacle but I am sure it will improve.

Don't be fooled into thinking he was 'late' to footy or anything like that - he started in the u8's. This is the one thing that worries me in terms of all the things he seemingly still doesn't understand - he should know better by now. But then there is the incredible things that he can do.

Last night might very well be a sampling of his career - 3 quarters of zero (2 possessions) followed by 15 minutes of brilliance featuring 3 goals that few others in the league could have produced...I really have no idea where he will end up playing or how good he might be.

Go_Dogs
28-06-2009, 01:16 PM
If you watch him play now you will see the same thing(s) people have been talking about for a couple of years. Amazing athletic ability, some kind of 'innate' sense of timing (particularly when it comes to applying defensive pressure)...and a seeming lack of understanding of where to run and what to do for the rest of the time. And yes, his kicking is a debacle but I am sure it will improve.

Don't be fooled into thinking he was 'late' to footy or anything like that - he started in the u8's. This is the one thing that worries me in terms of all the things he seemingly still doesn't understand - he should know better by now. But then there is the incredible things that he can do.

Last night might very well be a sampling of his career - 3 quarters of zero (2 possessions) followed by 15 minutes of brilliance featuring 3 goals that few others in the league could have produced...I really have no idea where he will end up playing or how good he might be.

Yep, could be anything or nothing, most likely a frustrating combination of the two.

He is so quick and agile that around the contest he will be a big danger, but his game sense to make the right positioning is a bit disappointing. Often last night you could just see him drifting around without much purpose, not sure exactly which spot he should be running too.

Saying all that, I'd be very happy if he were in Dogs colours. Going to be great watching him over the next 10+ years.

boydogs
28-06-2009, 01:32 PM
How is drafting a potential gun CHF the safe option?
I think the last two posts from Griffen#16 and mjp explain this well, nicknat is great in some areas but lacking in others which can lead to inconsistency

Scorlibo
28-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Big call, seeing as he hasn't played yet

No s**t sherlock, last weeks nomination of Joseph showed that the nominators prefer to reward consistent players rather than standout week to week performers. Ward had been very good for the last month and against Port Adelaide pulled one of, if not the, best performances from an eligible Rising Star this year. If they choose to now take a backflip and give the nomination to Naitanui, instead of Ward, Pears or even Beams who have shown their worth consistently, I'll be spewing.

Happy Days
28-06-2009, 07:32 PM
No s**t sherlock, last weeks nomination of Joseph showed that the nominators prefer to reward consistent players rather than standout week to week performers. Ward had been very good for the last month and against Port Adelaide pulled one of, if not the, best performances from an eligible Rising Star this year. If they choose to now take a backflip and give the nomination to Naitanui, instead of Ward, Pears or even Beams who have shown their worth consistently, I'll be spewing.

Just saying, would he still be eligible if he had've gotten two touches and had no impact based on the game?

Your statement seemed a little biased.

Scorlibo
28-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Just saying, would he still be eligible if he had've gotten two touches and had no impact based on the game?

Your statement seemed a little biased.

Of course he wouldn't have, but the mere fact that he amassed 33 disposals the week before has to count for a lot and so it's stupid to discount him because you didn't know the outcome of today's game, we know that the selectors reward consistency and past performances.

My comment was in no way biased, Ward should have got the nomination last week after playing the best game of any eligible Rising Star for the year, and so he has to be in the mix this week - a lot like carry-over points at the tribunal.

craigsahibee
29-06-2009, 11:44 AM

Did he spend some time at Libba's Football Academy? ;)

Sedat
29-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Watts will be better in my opinion but it is early days. I cant believe some of the reviews I have read on some of the young players this season. Give them some time before you rate the draft for gods sake.
Agreed wholeheartedly with your assertion, but Melburne did themselves absolutely no favours by hyping up Watts' Queen's Birthday debut to within an inch of its life. They placed an unnecessary target on his head that will now prove difficult to remove in the short to medium term, and they only have themselves to blame for the current derision they are copping in the media. Watts has had no pre-season, he is bottom age, still at school, and he has barely played a handful of average games at VFL level. He is absolutely nowhere near AFL ready - it would be akin to the Bulldogs rushing Liam Jones into the senior line-up, seeing as we have just as pressing a need for an emerging key marking forward as Melbourne.

ledge
29-06-2009, 07:11 PM
I think its the media to blame for the hype not so much Melbourne.

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 10:43 PM
With his last goal, I can't believe he is that fast that he was able to fumble the ball bouncing it, pick it up and kick without being tackled. I believe the defender was Murphy.

azabob
30-06-2009, 06:32 PM
With his last goal, I can't believe he is that fast that he was able to fumble the ball bouncing it, pick it up and kick without being tackled. I believe the defender was Murphy.

Yes the defender was Murphy.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-06-2009, 06:36 PM

And how slow Murphy was.

He's lucky to be on an AFL list.

comrade
30-06-2009, 07:19 PM
And how slow Murphy was.

He's lucky to be on an AFL list.

Considering we have guys like Everitt, Tiller and Callan who are on the selection fringe.

Hawthorn's depth has been tested this year, and they've come up short.

azabob
30-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Considering we have guys like Everitt, Tiller and Callan who are on the selection fringe.

That is true to an extent Comrade.
If we had Lake (Croad) and Morris (Gilham) missing most of the year I think we'd be struggling also.

comrade
30-06-2009, 08:46 PM
That is true to an extent Comrade.
If we had Lake (Croad) and Morris (Gilham) missing most of the year I think we'd be struggling also.

I realise you're comparing them structurally, but Lake and Morris are far superior to the Hawks missing guys.

Even if we did lose them (God forbid), I'm confident our back up could do a solid job - much better than Murphy anyway.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-07-2009, 12:48 AM

Tiller is perhaps a little lucky and on par with Murphy.

The other two are far better IMO, although young Everitt needs to turn it around.