PDA

View Full Version : Ins and Outs - Vs. Hawks

bulldogtragic
28-06-2009, 07:34 PM
We were far too small this week and wouldn't want a repeat again.

Tiller should come back if right.
Tommy looked a little underdone, but may be needed.
Everitt at this stage isn't quite the KPP we might have thought. I think he is more in the Hargrave mould, and could be used forward. He kicked a very good and critical goal yesterday from 50 out?

Otherwise, not much that can be change.

Not sure who the unlucky player is either????

Great problems to have!

Mantis
28-06-2009, 07:37 PM
What role do we have Picken filling next week?

As good as he has been perhaps he doesn't have a definitive match-up and should be replaced by a taller option.

LostDoggy
28-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Williams will come in, if they think he is fit enough.

Other then that, no change.

bulldogtragic
28-06-2009, 07:41 PM

As good as he has been perhaps he doesn't have a definitive match-up and should be replaced by a taller option.
That might be the tough call, but fair call. I think we need to be thinking attack against the Hawks and Tommy or Tiller have arguably more important stoppping roles than Liam.

bornadog
28-06-2009, 07:42 PM

How about Sam Mitchell?

Happy Days
28-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Anyone know the timeframe for Cyril's return?

boydogs
28-06-2009, 07:45 PM

Maybe Bateman. Was not a good week for Picken and Ward to be a little off with possibly Tiller or Williams to return. Murphy and Welsh did play well down back but I don't like Hill deep forward

Scorlibo
28-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Williams will have to come back in to match up on Franklin. Why on earth would Tiller come in? From reports he didn't play with Willi and when he does play, he doesn't show anywhere near dominance. I would tend to think that Addison is first cab off the rank, I would say Everitt but he seems out of favour.

So who comes out for Williams? Harbrow played a shocker but you'd think that his previous form would enable him to keep his spot. Ward likewise.

Out: Picken
In: Williams

bulldogtragic
Forgive me if my memory is a little faded. But what has Mitch hahn done in the last month?

LostDoggy
Maybe Bateman. Was not a good week for Picken and Ward to be a little off with possibly Tiller or Williams to return. Murphy and Welsh did play well down back but I don't like Hill deep forward

Tiller will not be fit enough after injury. Williams is the most likely but will be very lucky in my opinion because his form is very poor. Picken and Ward may have been poor this week but they were not the only blokes in that department. My feeling is if we have to pick a tall then Ward will go out.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-06-2009, 07:56 PM
That might be the tough call, but fair call. I think we need to be thinking attack against the Hawks and Tommy or Tiller have arguably more important stoppping roles than Liam.

I don't know about that.
We showed both in victory last year and also in the Qual final how to beat and how to lose against the Hawks, and it starts with winning the ball in the middle, and running hard across the ground. Let them win the ball in the middle and they will move it quickly and Franklin and Roughy wil cut you to shreds

An undersized and depleted Brisbane defense were not exposed due to their midfield shutting down the Hawks.
Previously Boydy has taken Mitchell, but I think Boyds ball winning this year has become more important to us, so I think Picken needs to do a job on Mitchell.

Mantis
28-06-2009, 07:57 PM
How about Sam Mitchell?

Liam has played on an 'inside' midfielder this year, I can't see it starting next week.

bulldogtragic
28-06-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't know about that.
We showed both in victory last year and also in the Qual final how to beat and how to lose against the Hawks, and it starts with winning the ball in the middle, and running hard across the ground. Let them win the ball in the middle and they will move it quickly and Franklin and Roughy wil cut you to shreds

An undersized and depleted Brisbane defense were not exposed due to their midfield shutting down the Hawks.
Previously Boydy has taken Mitchell, but I think Boyds ball winning this year has become more important to us, so I think Picken needs to do a job on Mitchell.
Fair point you make.

But who would you have on:

F: Campbell Franklin Williams

HF: Young Roughead Osborne

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Fair point you make.

I'm not sure Campbell will spend too much time up forward, he's been playing a fair bit in defense due to their injuries down there. He will be needed down back again if Minson spends a fair portion of the game up forward.

Williams is likely to be out for a few weeks. So it's really only Roughy and Franklin who are genuine talls.
If we can control the middle and slow their forward entries, then Shaggy & Gilbee can play 3rd man up.
Having said that I'm not averse to Williams or Everitt coming in, just not sure that it would be Picken who would have to make way.

bulldog
28-06-2009, 08:08 PM
I wouldnt be dropping Liam what about playing on Hodge Bateman Sewell Rioli if fit there is a role for pickers i would make no change esp as Williams is out for the Hawks they only have Buddy and Roughy and i think Lake and Morris can take them then Shaggy can drop back.Tommy W does not deserve a game yet hard to say that Cause i am a big fan of TommyW

Big Will
28-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Fair point you make.

When's the last time you watched Hawthorn play?? Robbie Campbell has been filling holes in the backline all year, Mark Williams did his knee last night and will be out for at least 4 weeks and Clinton Young hasn't played since Rd 5!

In saying that, Roughead, Franklin and Osborne are obviously key match ups but that's where we start mentioning names like Lake, Morris, Hargrave, Harbrow. Then after that we can talk Gilbee, Tiller, Tommy Williams, Tim Callan...

Mantis
28-06-2009, 08:21 PM
In saying that, Roughead, Franklin and Osborne are obviously key match ups but that's where we start mentioning names like Lake, Morris, Hargrave, Harbrow. Then after that we can talk Gilbee, Tiller, Tommy Williams, Tim Callan...

Roughead & Franklin spanked us in the QF last year opposed to Lake & Morris. It has been said that Williams is still a couple of weeks away and Tiller probably won't play either.

You happy to send Morris to the wolves again?

LostDoggy
28-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Williams will have to come back in to match up on Franklin. Why on earth would Tiller come in? From reports he didn't play with Willi and when he does play, he doesn't show anywhere near dominance. I would tend to think that Addison is first cab off the rank, I would say Everitt but he seems out of favour.

So who comes out for Williams? Harbrow played a shocker but you'd think that his previous form would enable him to keep his spot. Ward likewise.

We must of been watching a different game.

AndrewP6
28-06-2009, 08:32 PM
I think we need Tommy back... backline at times today looked awful... Ward out for me..

Big Will
28-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Roughead & Franklin spanked us in the QF last year opposed to Lake & Morris. It has been said that Williams is still a couple of weeks away and Tiller probably won't play either.

Franklin was at his freakish best that game, which can't be said for his recent form. For example- 3 of his four goals last night against the Eagles came from handballs from his team mates in the goal square.

Also, I believe we are playing better football than Hawthorn. Everyone wearing red, white and blue in the QF deserved to hang their heads in shame. Lake has to take one of them to start this game, and I have faith Rodney will make the correct decision for the other match up.

Finally, the post was not about throwing Morris to the wolves. It was about identifying potential forward line players for Hawthorn and backing our boys who are out on the park. You might notice the last 3 players mentioned were mentioned last for a reason.

Dry Rot
28-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Is Cooney injured? His right knee was getting some pretty serious ice treatment post match.

Happy Days
28-06-2009, 08:36 PM

At the moment, Morris is a much better defender than Franklin is a forward. I feel confident in his ability to beat Buddy.

Lake on Roughead is more of a concern. We should play Welsh in the Tom Harley-esque role that we played him in today to help Brian out, or else Roughed will torch us.

Rocco Jones
28-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I think we need to bring in Tommy to combat Buddy or Roughead, definitely worth a spot in the 22.

I would have Picken out if Cyril doesn't come back in.

bulldogtragic
28-06-2009, 08:48 PM
When's the last time you watched Hawthorn play?? Robbie Campbell has been filling holes in the backline all year, Mark Williams did his knee last night and will be out for at least 4 weeks and Clinton Young hasn't played since Rd 5!

My apologies, i meant Campbell Brown. My mistake. And i watch them often.

Mantis
28-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Is Cooney injured? His right knee was getting some pretty serious ice treatment post match.

Have you had the chance to visit the rooms after a game?

It's almost a given that 6+ players will have ice placed on some part of the body.

Big Will
28-06-2009, 08:57 PM
My apologies, i meant Campbell Brown. My mistake. And i watch them often.

No worries, will be interesting to see where Campbell Brown lines up also.

bornadog
28-06-2009, 09:07 PM
No worries, will be interesting to see where Campbell Brown lines up also.

People think Campbell Brown is a tall player, he is 5 foot nothing. (177cm)

The Underdog
28-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I think we need Tommy back... backline at times today looked awful... Ward out for me..

I actually thought the backline after quarter time was exceptional. Any time they looked bad after that you can blame on forward turnovers and poor defensive running from the midfield.

I think a tall back, probably Williams if he's fit, needs to come in. As for who goes out not sure but I'd hate to see Ward go. There's no obvious candidates but the space needs to be made if we are going to match up on Franklin and Roughhead.

Mantis
28-06-2009, 09:17 PM
I think a tall back, probably Williams if he's fit, needs to come in. As for who goes out not sure but I'd hate to see Ward go. There's no obvious candidates but the space needs to be made if we are going to match up on Franklin and Roughhead.

I think we all feel the same, but the tough decision needs to be made. Who do you think the unlucky player should/ will be?

As good as Welsh was in defence in the 2nd half (and he was quite good) he was probably our most dangerous forward early on so it was a shame he had to go back to add some size.

bornadog
28-06-2009, 09:22 PM
I think we all feel the same, but the tough decision needs to be made. Who do you think the unlucky player should/ will be? .

Heard Gilbee on the radio after the game and he is still sore in the ankle and requires a jab from the doc each week. He is restricted to swimming at the moment. Had a very average game today picking up only 14 disposals.

In Williams

Out Gilbee - to rest and prepare for the run home.

azabob
28-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Heard Gilbee on the radio after the game and he is still sore in the ankle and requires a jab from the doc each week. He is restricted to swimming at the moment. Had a very average game today picking up only 14 disposals.

In Williams

Out Gilbee - to rest and prepare for the run home.

I think we all agree on that, but surely missing the Port Adelaide game would've been the perferct game for that.

So one can only assume he'll keep playing.

AndrewP6
28-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I actually thought the backline after quarter time was exceptional. Any time they looked bad after that you can blame on forward turnovers and poor defensive running from the midfield.

Fair enough, we can't agree on everything... I like Ward too, and thought he was going well early, but faded...

I think we need Williams in too...just read Eade's comments on the club website, saying he's at least a couple of weeks away from seniors... in Eade's world, does that mean he'll play next week?:)

bornadog
28-06-2009, 09:27 PM
[/B]

I think we all agree on that, but surely missing the Port Adelaide game would've been the perferct game for that.

So one can only assume he'll keep playing.

Actually made the ankle worse in the Port game, so he should have been rested. He says he will do anything to get on the park

LostDoggy
28-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Tommy Williams still looks 1 or 2 week away so i think we go in unchanged unless Gilbee's doesn't come up then we bring in Everitt for extra height

The Underdog
28-06-2009, 10:44 PM
I think we all feel the same, but the tough decision needs to be made. Who do you think the unlucky player should/ will be?

As good as Welsh was in defence in the 2nd half (and he was quite good) he was probably our most dangerous forward early on so it was a shame he had to go back to add some size.

Look, Ward is probably the most expendable, but his game has really come on since his first demotion so it'd be a shame for him to miss. Hill is too important to the forward set-up, Harbrow is pretty entrenched, nobody else is really close to losing their spot.
It still depends on the fitness of Williams anyway. If he's not ready they'll probably go in unchanged simply because I don't think Tiller's ready or probably able to take a Franklin or Roughhead and they certainly don't trust Everitt to have a go. They'd go Morris on Franklin before Everitt or Tiller.
Welsh was good at both ends, especially his 1%ers, I was really impressed with him today.

bulldogtragic
28-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Look, Ward is probably the most expendable, but his game has really come on since his first demotion so it'd be a shame for him to miss. Hill is too important to the forward set-up, Harbrow is pretty entrenched, nobody else is really close to losing their spot.
It still depends on the fitness of Williams anyway. If he's not ready they'll probably go in unchanged simply because I don't think Tiller's ready or probably able to take a Franklin or Roughhead and they certainly don't trust Everitt to have a go. They'd go Morris on Franklin before Everitt or Tiller.
Welsh was good at both ends, especially his 1%ers, I was really impressed with him today.
Didn't Welsh look great as the spare man, great hands down back are a great asset.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Hahn may come under some trouble. He's had an ordinary year and even today, there were some pretty disappointing passages of play. The fact that Hahn was shifted into the back half at one stage might be a worrying sign for him.

However, it's probably not the right time to drop Hahn - against an undersized Hawthorn defence and some big matches v Collingwood in the coming weeks.

I suppose the question; is it worth risking Williams?

Probably not.

Welsh may have to play a 'third man up' role though, which obviously hurts our forward structure.

Topdog
29-06-2009, 12:03 AM
I have the feeling we will be unchanged.

Rocco Jones
29-06-2009, 12:07 AM
I have changed my mind!

I would keep Picken in to play a forward tag on Hodge (he did something similar on McLeod).

Hahn out for Williams.

Dry Rot
29-06-2009, 12:20 AM
I would keep Picken in to play a forward tag on Hodge (he did something similar on McLeod).

Yes, I was pondering something similar if there is no obvious tag job for Picken. And he knows where the goals are (IIRC he has played forward in the VFL).

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 12:24 AM
I am a little perplexed at the criticism of the backline. A stat that Robert Walls mentioned, was that the defence made no turnovers that resulted in Norf goals. They are settled and I think should be unchanged.
It was a very poor game today, by the standards of the previous five weeks, however we are always a little slow to get back into things after a break. They should be on their game next week against Hawthorn, with a bit of revenge on their minds;)

Rocco Jones
29-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Yes, I was pondering something similar if there is no obvious tag job for Picken. And he knows where the goals are (IIRC he has played forward in the VFL).

Yep and it would be great to add another string to his bow. I think it's too great a sacrifice to play a stopper like Picken on an inside midfielder, which limits his potential opponents.

His ability to stop outside players who are damaging after receiving the ball (and his goal kicking nous as you mention) lends himself to playing on "quarter back" types such as Hodge and McLeod.

I think he had his two strong performances leading into today's game. I know the sockeye 20 game rule means fans don't bag kids before their 20th game but I thought he was poor today.

Rocco Jones
29-06-2009, 12:29 AM
I am a little perplexed at the criticism of the backline. A stat that Robert Walls mentioned, was that the defence made no turnovers that resulted in Norf goals. They are settled and I think should be unchanged.
It was a very poor game today, by the standards of the previous five weeks, however we are always a little slow to get back into things after a break. They should be on their game next week against Hawthorn, with a bit of revenge on their minds;)

Yeah not really critical of the backline myself, just think that we should bring in Williams to counter Roughead and Buddy. I had Shaggy as our best player and thought Morris and Lake were good and Harbrow pretty even with his opponent.

boydogs
29-06-2009, 12:30 AM

And against Deledio in round 11. Could be an option, but I would not underestimate Bateman's importance to their side as an outside runner delivering to their big forwards

Rocco Jones
29-06-2009, 12:36 AM
And against Deledio in round 11. Could be an option, but I would not underestimate Bateman's importance to their side as an outside runner delivering to their big forwards

I think Bateman is a type of outside player who doesn't suit placing a tag on. His main danger he offers is his monstrous workrate rather than slick/explosive type traits of the traditional damaging outside midfielder. I would have someone like Cross running with him.

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Yeah not really critical of the backline myself, just think that we should bring in Williams to counter Roughead and Buddy. I had Shaggy as our best player and thought Morris and Lake were good and Harbrow pretty even with his opponent.

Eade has said Williams isn't ready and wont be for a couple of weeks. He says he needs some more time in the reserves to get some confidence.

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 03:08 AM
The fact that Eade says that Williams is still 2 weeks away - probably means that he will play next week on Franklin. I think they have been setting him up all along for that - but who knows!!

Picken must be retained. His hardness at the footy and the ability to shut down opposition ball magnets is essential against the Hawks and we dont have alot of these types of players...

IN: Williams
OUT: Gilbee (inj)

craigsahibee
29-06-2009, 11:14 AM
If Gilbee is not right next week, bring Stacky back in. Give him a role behind the footy and see what he can do at AFL level.

Tommy doesn't deserve a spot yet.

alwaysadog
29-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Forgive me if my memory is a little faded. But what has Mitch hahn done in the last month?

Take a look at the tape of the Darwin game.

Ozza
29-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Take a look at the tape of the Darwin game.

He was very very ordinary in Darwin apart from 2 goals in the second half.

Having said that he is still important to the team, brings some aggression, is a tough match up and can provide a bit of spark against the tide at times - so I wouldn't be calling for Hahn to be replaced.

strebla
29-06-2009, 08:16 PM
No Gia for six weeks bring in o'keefe and leave him in for sox weeks to see if he can cut it

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Sam Reid for Gia?

AndrewP6
29-06-2009, 08:24 PM
OK with the news that Gia is out for 6 weeks (NOOOOOOO!) I'm gonna say for this week, put Reid in. Not sure about leaving him in automatically, but at least for one...

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 08:37 PM
OK with the news that Gia is out for 6 weeks (NOOOOOOO!) I'm gonna say for this week, put Reid in. Not sure about leaving him in automatically, but at least for one...

I agree. Bring Sam in and see if he can do enough to hold a spot for a few weeks.

But saying that if Tommy is ready, we need him back this week. Its a hard one.

Jasper
29-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I would like to see O'Keefe get a game but I feel they will play williams

BulldogBelle
29-06-2009, 09:46 PM
He was very very ordinary in Darwin apart from 2 goals in the second half.

Having said that he is still important to the team, brings some aggression, is a tough match up and can provide a bit of spark against the tide at times - so I wouldn't be calling for Hahn to be replaced.

I'm a big fan of Mitch but have noticed how he is playing a little differently this season

In years gone by he would sprint to loads of contests, and really throw his weight around as much as possible...diving, smothering, with tackles and he also isnt attempting to fly for as many pack marks either

Think he knows his constant crash and bash style wont mean a career past 30, so is probably trying to reserve some of his trademark playing style for important contests

Hope he really turns it on again in the finals

comrade
29-06-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the makeshift defence we have at the moment. I'd much rather a settled back 6, that allows Murphy and Welsh to play forward.

He's gotten through two games without too much incident, so I wouldn't be against bringing in Tommy - just having him down there makes our structure all over the ground look that much better.

If Tommy doesn't get up, we'll probably go with the same defensive structure and hope we can win enough ball in the middle that it doesn't matter that Morris is mismatched on Buddy.

In this case, O'Keefe for Gia.

AndrewP6
29-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I agree. Bring Sam in and see if he can do enough to hold a spot for a few weeks.

But saying that if Tommy is ready, we need him back this week. Its a hard one.

I too would like Tommy back, but Rocket says he's a couple of weeks away...

Mantis
29-06-2009, 10:12 PM
In this case, O'Keefe for Gia.

Do you think or hope this would be the move they make?

On what I have seen over just the past 2 weeks Stack & Reid should be in front of O'Keefe on a next in line basis.

hujsh
29-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I think O'Keefe sounds like he could play Gia's role but i doubt he'll be picked ahead of Reid.

comrade
29-06-2009, 10:17 PM

On what I have seen over just the past 2 weeks Stack & Reid should be in front of O'Keefe on a next in line basis.

More of a horses for courses selection. With Gia out we lose a lot of creativity, vision and an avenue to goal. O'Keefe has good foot skills and one of his big strengths is his ability to bring others into the game. He's also handy around the goals.

Reid adds another inside midfield option, which might be handy against the big-bodied Hawks but with him, Ward, Picken, and Cross, our engine room would be very one-paced.

Stack has been good the last two weeks, and Rocket is obviously keen to get him into the side. A good suggestion, and one I'd be comfortable with. He is easy to shut down though, and we'll need 22 contributors in what looms as a tough contest against a side fighting for their life.

GVGjr
29-06-2009, 10:23 PM

The problem with Reid (as a midfielder) is that whilst he has been getting a lot of the football he doesn't use it that well compared to some others. No clangers but he doesn't get the ball to his team mates anywhere near as cleanly as O'Keefe does. He often handballs the footy to his team mates in a manner that requires them to stop or slow down rather than putting it out in front of them so that they can hit it at full or near full speed. If I was a Cooney or Griffen I'd rather be playing alongside of O'Keefe than Reid. Reid has some 'Crossessque' qualities which would normally be great for a side but it's not something that we need duplicated at the moment.

He's the front runner for Gia's spot given he was an emergency last week but I think there is some merit in seeing how the others like Stack, O'Keefe and Callan are performing on the track this week.

Dazza
29-06-2009, 10:23 PM
I don't really like the idea of replacing Gia with Reid. Reid is an inside player with questionable disposal by foot. O'keefe in form would be ideal but he's been a bit out of touch the last few weeks. I think they might bring in Williams and play Murphy up forward. It will be an interesting one that's for sure.

Mantis
29-06-2009, 10:24 PM
More of a horses for courses selection. With Gia out we lose a lot of creativity, vision and an avenue to goal. O'Keefe has good foot skills and one of his big strengths is his ability to bring others into the game. He's also handy around the goals.

Reid adds another inside midfield option, which might be handy against the big-bodied Hawks but with him, Ward, Picken, and Cross, our engine room would be very one-paced.

Stack has been good the last two weeks, and Rocket is obviously keen to get him into the side. A good suggestion, and one I'd be comfortable with. He is easy to shut down though, and we'll need 22 contributors in what looms as a tough contest against a side fighting for their life.

Understand your reasoning, but the 22 contributors is an interesting one.

O'Keefe has his limitations and fitness is one of them, I think he could really struggle to adjust to the pace in a finals like game (Hawthorn really have to fire a shot) and have no impact at all. At least with Reid we will get some extra hardness or possibly something brilliant from Stack, I'm not sure at his worst what O'Keefe will bring.

Dazza
29-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Fitness seemed fine on the weekend. Thought he finished strongly and probably had his best quarter in the 4th last week. I might just be biased because I love seeing debuts :)

GVGjr
29-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Fitness seemed fine on the weekend. Thought he finished strongly and probably had his best quarter in the 4th last week. I might just be biased because I love seeing debuts :)

I think the fitness query on O'Keefe was originally raised by Eade who's in the best position to tell but from the games I have seen the quality of some of his 4th quarters wouldn't indicate that his fitness is much of a concern. As we all know the players making their debut spend a lot of time on the bench anyway.

Rocco Jones
29-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Guy O'Keefe seems the closest like for like replacement to me.

Obviously you don't always have to make a like for like change, someone like Andrejs could come in to free up Bobby and Welsh to both play as permanent forwards.

alwaysadog
29-06-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm a big fan of Mitch but have noticed how he is playing a little differently this season

In years gone by he would sprint to loads of contests, and really throw his weight around as much as possible...diving, smothering, with tackles and he also isnt attempting to fly for as many pack marks either

Think he knows his constant crash and bash style wont mean a career past 30, so is probably trying to reserve some of his trademark playing style for important contests

Hope he really turns it on again in the finals

I'm glad someone has noticed his changed role in the team and the need to not overdo the physicality and jeopardise his career.

Too many people stereotype him and assume that he can only contribute in one way.

IMHO he has beeen a solid contributor without starring and it should also be noted that his defensive responsibilities have increased and that like several others his role has been tweeked as the team develops more options.

Someday his critics will comment on the changed game plan soon, but I've got past holding my breath.

comrade
29-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Guy O'Keefe seems the closest like for like replacement to me.

Obviously you don't always have to make a like for like change, someone like Andrejs could come in to free up Bobby and Welsh to both play as permanent forwards.

I can't really see a match-up for Andrejs.

Morris to Buddy.
Lake to Roughy.
Shaggy to Brown.
Gilbee to Ladsen.
Harbrow on Rioli (if he's back).

With Williams out injured, there's no real need for a third/fourth tall, is there?

Rocco Jones
29-06-2009, 10:42 PM

Morris to Buddy.
Lake to Roughy.
Shaggy to Brown.
Gilbee to Ladsen.

With Williams out injured, there's no real need for a third/fourth tall, is there?

Yep, I was just using Andrejs as an example of a non-like for like change.

Scorlibo
29-06-2009, 10:43 PM
After a performance in which Gia led the way skill wise when everyone else was making mistakes, it seems logical to bring in another skillful player in O'Keefe. He seems to be the one who has missed out from a senior gig, despite showing very good and consistent form at Willy for the last 2 seasons. At one stage it appeared he would be first to make his debut, ahead of Ward. The comparisons to Higgins excite me.

Mantis
29-06-2009, 10:43 PM
I think the fitness query on O'Keefe was originally raised by Eade who's in the best position to tell but from the games I have seen the quality of some of his 4th quarters wouldn't indicate that his fitness is much of a concern. As we all know the players making their debut spend a lot of time on the bench anyway.

I think the main concern is that with the massive difference in pace between AFL & VFL games it isn't really known how O'Keefe will make the transition. He doesn't seem to have a lot of leg speed and from what I have seen his workrate isn't the greatest. He seems to get to contests a little late, but is smart enough to know were to position himself such that he makes an impact. That's ok at the VFL level, but I feel that by the time he gets to contests at the next level up the ball will be gone and he will be battling to get to the next one.

I think it would be a massive surprise for him to be selected this week especially against a team fighting for their life. I would much prefer O'Keefe to debut in a game against a lower ranked team such that he will be able to adjust to the pace of the game a little easier. The home games against Freo & West Coast look like the perfect opportunity to give him this chance.

The Underdog
29-06-2009, 10:44 PM

Morris to Buddy.
Lake to Roughy.
Shaggy to Brown.
Gilbee to Ladsen.

We don't have any sort of backup option if Morris on Buddy doesn't work. If they get any sort of control out of the middle we could be in big trouble. I'm a massive admirer of Morris but if delivery is even ok he can't stop Franklin. Unfortunately with Williams unavailable we actually don't have another option it would seem.

Rocco Jones
29-06-2009, 10:47 PM
I think the main concern is that with the massive difference in pace between AFL & VFL games it isn't really known how O'Keefe will make the transition. He doesn't seem to have a lot of leg speed and from what I have seen his workrate isn't the greatest. He seems to get to contests a little late, but is smart enough to know were to position himself such that he makes an impact. That's ok at the VFL level, but I feel that by the time he gets to contests at the next level up the ball will be gone and he will be battling to get to the next one.

I think it would be a massive surprise for him to be selected this week especially against a team fighting for their life. I would much prefer O'Keefe to debut in a game against a lower ranked team such that he will be able to adjust to the pace of the game a little easier. The home games against Freo & West Coast look like the perfect opportunity to give him this chance.

Agree with that.

I think Stack is the best bet. He can also play down back.

Rocco Jones
29-06-2009, 10:49 PM
We don't have any sort of backup option if Morris on Buddy doesn't work. If they get any sort of control out of the middle we could be in big trouble. I'm a massive admirer of Morris but if delivery is even ok he can't stop Franklin. Unfortunately with Williams unavailable we actually don't have another option it would seem.

Yep, that's a definite problem but what other choice do we have? I would definitely play Williams if he was fit but the main priority is getting him right for the latter part of the season. Mark Williams' injury helps us out a fair bit.

Mantis
29-06-2009, 10:51 PM

Morris to Buddy.
Lake to Roughy.
Shaggy to Brown.
Gilbee to Ladsen.

Where did Osborne play the other night?

He caused us some grief in the QF last year so I would hope we show him a little bit of respect.

comrade
29-06-2009, 10:54 PM

He caused us some grief in the QF last year so I would hope we show him a little bit of respect.

Bobby to go to Osborne when he goes forward.

As good as Welsh performed in defence yesterday (albeit playing as loose man) I hope he plays forward against the Hawks. Their backline is a rabble at the moment and he was looking very dangerous before being moved back to plug a hole.

The Underdog
29-06-2009, 10:55 PM

I'm not sure where he played but he did kick one gem of a goal from 55 in shocking conditions.
Be interesting to see how we respond considering the embarrassment they caused us last year.

Mantis
29-06-2009, 10:57 PM

As good as Welsh performed in defence yesterday (albeit playing as loose man) I hope he plays forward against the Hawks. Their backline is a rabble at the moment and he was looking very dangerous before being moved back to plug a hole.

With no Gia we will need Murphy's creativity up forward, especially in a lead up role.

Agree that Welsh has to play forward.

Dry Rot
29-06-2009, 11:03 PM

Wonder if Roughead might play down back if we get on top? He's a very handy CHB when required.

GVGjr
29-06-2009, 11:03 PM

I'll challenge a few of those points:

His work rate is fine, not exceptional but good enough.
His leg speed will never be great but he makes up for it with exceptionally quick hands and vision. His ability to put the ball where his team mates need it shouldn't be glossed over because it's a great quality in a young player.
I think he can make good players better because he will distribute the ball correctly to them. Reid on the other hand is workman like from a skills perspective and really isn't that much quicker.

I can't see O'Keefe being selected either but I don't think Reid should be the walk up start.
I like Reid especially his toughness in the clinches and with a bit more refinement he can improve his skills but at the moment he still has a long way to go.
It probably suits him to be pitted against the Hawks which could work to his advantage.

Mantis
29-06-2009, 11:14 PM
I'll challenge a few of those points:

His work rate is fine, not exceptional but good enough.
His leg speed will never be great but he makes up for it with exceptionally quick hands and vision. His ability to put the ball where his team mates need it shouldn't be glossed over because it's a great quality in a young player.
I think he can make good players better because he will distribute the ball correctly to them. Reid on the other hand is workman like from a skills perspective and really isn't that much quicker.

The thing that we have yet to find out is how his work-rate will be at the next level up (and yes we won't know until given the opportunity). I think it is thought from within the club that O'Keefe hasn't got the necessary tools as yet to make the jump.

I agree his ability to move the ball on by hand and foot is good and something that should hold him in good stead in the years to come.

I can't see O'Keefe being selected either but I don't think Reid should be the walk up start.
I like Reid especially his toughness in the clinches and with a bit more refinement he can improve his skills but at the moment he still has a long way to go.
It probably suits him to be pitted against the Hawks which could work to his advantage.

I don't think that Reid is a walk up start myself and I haven't stated that and if I had the choice between Reid, O'Keefe & Stack for this weeks game and this weeks game alone I would be choosing Stack.

Scorlibo
29-06-2009, 11:17 PM
From memory in the QF, Morris started on Franklin, got smashed and he and Lake were then switched, after which Lake beat Franklin convincingly. This would suggest that Lake will go to Franklin and Morris to Roughead.

Amongst all of this Reid/O'Keefe debate Addison could be the most likely to get the call up.

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Any chance of Stack coming in for Gia?

Sockeye Salmon
29-06-2009, 11:24 PM
I'd bring in Everitt and play him in front of Franklin to give Morris a cop out.

Mantis
30-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I'd bring in Everitt and play him in front of Franklin to give Morris a cop out.

Which will allow Luke Hodge to play unopposed at the other end... No thanks.

Desipura
30-06-2009, 09:31 AM
One of 2 ways I think the team selection will go this week.
Stack looks like the natural replacement for Gia
or Williams to come in for Gia which will allow Murphy to go forward.

Sedat
30-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Who can we play on Hodge as a defensive forward to keep him honest and suck him out of the corridor? Do we have a Michael Osborne type defensive forward in our current set-up that can kick 2-3 and suck the defensive playmaker away from the action? Gia would have been an ideal match-up.

Scorlibo
30-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Who can we play on Hodge as a defensive forward to keep him honest and suck him out of the corridor? Do we have a Michael Osborne type defensive forward in our current set-up that can kick 2-3 and suck the defensive playmaker away from the action? Gia would have been an ideal match-up.

Higgins made Milburn accountable in the prelim very effectively and very early on.

Mofra
30-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Stack has been playing better in the past two weeks than he was before his debut, so has to be considered. His ball handling appears a bit cleaner which is what I was disappointed with during his debut - the fumbles.

I don't think the knock of Reid's disposal is as bad as some suggest, and he is clearly AFL ready in all other aspects of his game, but he doesn't bring anything new to the side.

I have my doubts on O'Keefe. He does ok at VFL level but that is purely on football smarts; I think he'd get caught with the ball quite a lot of senior level as he doesn't have great accleration.

Everitt seems to have a knock on him but his disposal is clearly a cut above anyone else at VFL level, I'm just worried about him being caught deep in the backline as his bodywork needs to improve if he is to play as a backman.

I'm surprised Tim Callan hasn't been mentioned a bit more - he has been very good at VFL level, and has played in the midfield there too. At one point last week Griffen lined up on the HB flank so there is a bit of flexibility in the side, and playing at the dome Timmy's occassional propensity to lose his footing should be reduced. Gilbee is no certainty so there is room for a smaller backman as well.

Amazing just how versatile Gia is overall though - sometimes you don't know what you've got until you lose it.

I suppose at this stage it look like:
Out: Gilbee, Gia (damn quality we're losing)
In: Callan, Stack

Mantis
30-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm surprised Tim Callan hasn't been mentioned a bit more - he has been very good at VFL level, and has played in the midfield there too. At one point last week Griffen lined up on the HB flank so there is a bit of flexibility in the side, and playing at the dome Timmy's occassional propensity to lose his footing should be reduced. Gilbee is no certainty so there is room for a smaller backman as well.

Amazing just how versatile Gia is overall though - sometimes you don't know what you've got until you lose it.

I suppose at this stage it look like:
Out: Gilbee, Gia (damn quality we're losing)
In: Callan, Stack

I'm not sure on what basis you have Gilbee going out of the team?

If anything he shouldn't have played last week and his ankle is probably only going to improve for this weeks game.

Rocco Jones
30-06-2009, 11:25 AM

Liam Picken is my pick. He did a job on McLeod when we played Adelaide and has the ability to kick goals.

LostDoggy
30-06-2009, 12:21 PM
I would have serious concerns with Hill and Stack in the forward line together. Neither are good at keeping the ball in and are too alike in style.

Murphy to return to the forward line looks the obvious choice. This leaves his position on the half back flank which could go to Addision or alternatively put Everitt to the back pocket and Hargrave to the HBB.

Mofra
30-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure on what basis you have Gilbee going out of the team?

If anything he shouldn't have played last week and his ankle is probably only going to improve for this weeks game.
On the basis he was quite a bit down on his output and during his post-match interview on MMM he didn't sound overly confident he'd get up this week.

The Coon Dog
30-06-2009, 12:27 PM
I would have serious concerns with Hill and Stack in the forward line together. Neither are good at keeping the ball in and are too alike in style.

Murphy to return to the forward line looks the obvious choice. This leaves his position on the half back flank which could go to Addision or alternatively put Everitt to the back pocket and Hargrave to the HBB.

I'd move Murphy forward as you suggest, but move Griffen to the half back line & run Reid through the middle.

Sockeye Salmon
30-06-2009, 12:52 PM

No-one will let Hodge run unapposed anywhere.

Both teams will start players behind the ball, it's all about who you let do it. I doubt Hodge will be Eade's perferred choice, he will be manned up.

johnnycoop
30-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Picken on Mitchell. He's their ball winner/link midfielder. Lake on Franklin. Hargrave on Roughhead. Raffle the rest. Key is not letting them get quick ball out of the centre. If we lose the tap, have to bring the ball to ground to dry up the run-long kick style that was so effective last year. We have to in the square quickly off the backline to condense the sapce that they can play in when they do have the ball, this also supports our clearances. Everyone is saying that the Hawks can't keep playing so poorly, but why not. We should back ourselves and play our game. Can't wait. Woof Woof!

Bulldog Revolution
30-06-2009, 01:08 PM
I'd like to see OKeefe get a chance

He's a terrific user of the ball

If he isn't fit enough yet then he needs to find out first hand - he's put together as good an 18 month period in the VFL as could have been hoped for from a 60th-ish pick.

bornadog
30-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Picken on Mitchell. He's their ball winner/link midfielder. Lake on Franklin. Hargrave on Roughhead. Raffle the rest. Key is not letting them get quick ball out of the centre. If we lose the tap, have to bring the ball to ground to dry up the run-long kick style that was so effective last year. We have to in the square quickly off the backline to condense the sapce that they can play in when they do have the ball, this also supports our clearances. Everyone is saying that the Hawks can't keep playing so poorly, but why not. We should back ourselves and play our game. Can't wait. Woof Woof!

Welcome aboard.

Not sure about Hargrave on Roughead, Roughy maybe a bit big and strong for him, especially over head.

Mantis
30-06-2009, 02:13 PM
On the basis he was quite a bit down on his output and during his post-match interview on MMM he didn't sound overly confident he'd get up this week.

He was able to get up in 3 or 4 days after re-injuring his ankle, but won't be able to get up with almost a full week of recovery and physio sessions. Doesn't make sense.

Agree that his output has been reduced and at some point if he isn't getting better they are going to have to rest him. He is too important to be be running around on one leg.

Mofra
30-06-2009, 02:48 PM
He was able to get up in 3 or 4 days after re-injuring his ankle, but won't be able to get up with almost a full week of recovery and physio sessions. Doesn't make sense.
It does if the physio staff believe he aggravated the injury or at best it isn't healing. I don't think it would have to get much worse for him to be rested.

Agree that his output has been reduced and at some point if he isn't getting better they are going to have to rest him. He is too important to be be running around on one leg.
With finals on the horizen, I'd rather he take time out, then have a few weeks before the finals to regain touch, rather than just string along & hope he recovers.

Mantis
30-06-2009, 02:55 PM
With finals on the horizen, I'd rather he take time out, then have a few weeks before the finals to regain touch, rather than just string along & hope he recovers.

Agree. I don't think he should have played last week or the game before as from the outside looking in he doesn't seem to be the type of player who can play with an injury.

LostDoggy
30-06-2009, 03:11 PM

Hey hey Johynny Coop is on board! Nice photo mate.

Who do you have Morris on then?

Are you going over? I had planned to but work has got in the way...

Go_Dogs
30-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I'd move Murphy forward as you suggest, but move Griffen to the half back line & run Reid through the middle.

Griffen was about our only midfielder who gave anything in the QF last year, and with Harbrow and Hargrave in good form down back not sure Griff is needed down there. Given our lack of tall defensive options winning the ball in the midfield is going to be super important, so for me, Griff has more value in the middle.

If Murph goes forward to help cover the loss of Gia, and Welsh plays forward, a backmen is our obvious need imo.

Callan, Addison, Everitt, Tiller (if fit) and perhaps Stack seem the likely options. (Shame Wood is only just coming back from injury as if he'd been fully fit it may have been a good opportunity for him).

Rocco Jones
30-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I really think we should play Picken as a defensive forward on Hodge.

I have heard a few suggestions that Picken play on Mitchell but I think a lot of fans struggle to understand the difference between an outside tag and an inside tag. Tagging Boomer is more similar to tagging a half-back like McLeod than an inside type like Mitchell.

If that eventuates, we will have Picken, Johhno, Aker, Hill, Higgins, Welsh, Hahn and Bobby all at least rotating through the forward line. Perhaps of a like for like replacement for Gian, we should select someone to free up Bobby and Welsh to play forward. I wouldn't mind seeing Andrejs on a smaller opponent in a different role down back, especially with Gilbee being hampered. I think he can offer us a lot as a rebounding defender.

LostDoggy
30-06-2009, 08:13 PM
He is too important to be be running around on one leg.

Dogs medicos are top class any hint of further complications & they wont play Gilbee. Right now he will line up providing no further mishaps happen.

lemmon
30-06-2009, 08:19 PM
I really think we should play Picken as a defensive forward on Hodge.

I have heard a few suggestions that Picken play on Mitchell but I think a lot of fans struggle to understand the difference between an outside tag and an inside tag. Tagging Boomer is more similar to tagging a half-back like McLeod than an inside type like Mitchell.

If that eventuates, we will have Picken, Johhno, Aker, Hill, Higgins, Welsh, Hahn and Bobby all at least rotating through the forward line. Perhaps of a like for like replacement for Gian, we should select someone to free up Bobby and Welsh to play forward. I wouldn't mind seeing Andrejs on a smaller opponent in a different role down back, especially with Gilbee being hampered. I think he can offer us a lot as a rebounding defender.

I think it would be almost impossible to tag Hodge the way he plays. He doesnt play that half back flanking role where he looks to play as loose as possible. Instead he beats his man one and one but can chop off and help his teamates in flight because he's such a good reader of the ball. If we did look at tagging Hodge I think it would be a better option to use a more dangerous forward who we look to go through at every opportunity and make them as dangerous as possible so that Hodge will have to think twice before leaving his man.

Mantis
30-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Dogs medicos are top class any hint of further complications & they wont play Gilbee. Right now he will line up providing no further mishaps happen.

That's all good and well, but he has obviously been playing under duress and it is effecting his output. I for one would rather him take a week off such that his ankle is is fully healed and he has full confidence in his body.

LostDoggy
30-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Out: Gia
In: Reid

Need to reward him for playing a few good games in the VFL. Wouldn't mind another big body against the Hawks. Although I'd be happy for Callan, Everitt or O'Keefe to get a game as well after reading the Willi reports for the past few weeks.

GVGjr
30-06-2009, 08:39 PM
That's all good and well, but he has obviously been playing under duress and it is effecting his output. I for one would rather him take a week off such that his ankle is is fully healed and he has full confidence in his body.

I have to agree. We tried to hide him on the bench a bit but sooner or later you would have to think that he will need a spell and I'd rather try and prevent further problems for him.

LostDoggy
30-06-2009, 08:45 PM
I for one would rather him take a week off such that his ankle is is fully healed and he has full confidence in his body.

If the passes the fitness test he will play they will not rest him unless another mishap happens this is what I have been told.

LostDoggy
30-06-2009, 08:49 PM
I'd like to see OKeefe get a chance

He's a terrific user of the ball

If he isn't fit enough yet then he needs to find out first hand - he's put together as good an 18 month period in the VFL as could have been hoped for from a 60th-ish pick.

He has more than earnt a chance to debut he has been so consistent in that period of time & is closing in on 50 goals playing as a hff/mid.But he has set up a lot more goals than that in a similar fashion to Gia.He would be the perfect replacement for Gia especially with the Hawks backline in tatters at the moment.
Reid is another playing well but his ball use isnt in the same class as okeefe & like for like it has to be okeefe to get his chance you would think.
Turnovers were a big problem for us against the roos i think okeefe rather than reid would help in this area.

boydogs
30-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Out: Gia, Gilbee
In: Callan, Everitt

Callan who has been doing well in the VFL to come in for Gia
Murphy forward - we break down at half forward too often without him there and without Gia as well it will be worse

If Gilbee can not recover from his injury whilst still playing and contributing, rest him now.
Everitt to come in, playing in defense but not against a key forward, used as a rebounder like Gilbee. Has done well in the VFL except against key forwards

This will be a big game for us, not sure if its the game to bring in a first/second gamer in Stack, Reid or O'Keefe

The undersized defense has worked for us the last two weeks, so will stick with Morris on Roughead as Williams and Tiller are not fit and in form

Dogs 24/7
30-06-2009, 09:49 PM

I reckon Picken would be unlucky to get the chop. He should be able to find a suitable match-up and I think it will just be Gia for Reid.

Scorlibo
30-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I reckon Picken would be unlucky to get the chop. He should be able to find a suitable match-up and I think it will just be Gia for Reid.

Sorry but I made that post before I saw Eade's press conference (in which he dismissed the chance of a Williams return) and before the Gia knee news.

LostDoggy
01-07-2009, 08:02 AM
People seem to forget Harbrow is a forward as well. I would put him up forward and replace him down back with Tim Callan. If they want a more rebounding option then Everitt.

bornadog
01-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Hall not on Dogs' radar, says Eade (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/79757/default.aspx)

By Luke Holmesby
12:06 PM
Wed 01 July, 2009

In other news, Eade said one of Sam Reid or Dylan Addison would be likely to come into the team for the injured Daniel Giansiracusa.

The Bulldogs also had a number of players not taking part in Wednesday's main training session, including Lindsay Gilbee, Jason Akermanis, Robert Murphy and Shaun Higgins.

Interesting

comrade
01-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Rocket’s feelings about Dylan are well known – he loves his hardness and endeavour. But if we’re being honest, Tim Callan has far outperformed him as a small defender at VFL level and there are a number of players who have jumped ahead of Dylan as a midfielder (based on form).

bornadog
01-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Rocket’s feelings about Dylan are well known – he loves his hardness and endeavour. But if we’re being honest, Tim Callan has far outperformed him as a small defender at VFL level and there are a number of players who have jumped ahead of Dylan as a midfielder (based on form).

Yes, I am surprised he has named DFA. I would love to see Reid get a go, just purely on development, and he hasn't done much wrong at VFL level.

My prediction now is DFA to come in, takeover the role Murphy has been playing at HBF, and Murp to play 100% of his time, in the forward line.

Mofra
01-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Agree, Dylan must be playing to somne weird set of instructions if he is ahead of Callan & Reid in the pecking order.

I'm not convinced by DFA's overhead ability, although I think his disposal has improved every year he's been on the list. Reid has the runs on the board in terms of recent performances.

Sedat
01-07-2009, 02:43 PM
If the passes the fitness test he will play they will not rest him unless another mishap happens this is what I have been told.
Really appreciate the update, Charmdog. So it looks as though Gilbs will have to go through an extended run of jabs per week, a little like Murph and Coons had to endure to get over the line late last season. I understand the rationale, as Gilbee is nigh on irreplacable in our structure - here's hoping that he and the medical staff can manage the injury as best as possible so that he can maintain near 100% level of fitness without compromising the rest of the team or his long-term health.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Agree, Dylan must be playing to somne weird set of instructions if he is ahead of Callan & Reid in the pecking order.

I'm not convinced by DFA's overhead ability, although I think his disposal has improved every year he's been on the list. Reid has the runs on the board in terms of recent performances.
I agree. If we needed to trade for any reason come season's end, i'd suggest DFA is worth something, but yet something we have more of, so might want to think about shopping him around. The Swans could be interested losing in the next year or two Barry, Kennelly, Crouch, Kirk, Micky O and Hall. They will need some hard at it players to bounce back up and DFA could suit them nicely. What would they have though?

LostDoggy
01-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Reid has some 'Crossessque' qualities which would normally be great for a side but it's not something that we need duplicated at the moment..

Didn't Crossesque used to play for Collingwood? Oh wait, that was Crosisca.

Jasper
01-07-2009, 04:16 PM

Funny you say this, I have being saying it for the last 2 years, and got shouted down when I said that he wasn't in our best 22 because of it. His disposal has improved but he is still way off the mark for afl standard and therefore not in our best team.

LostDoggy
01-07-2009, 04:25 PM
I agree. If we needed to trade for any reason come season's end, i'd suggest DFA is worth something, but yet something we have more of, so might want to think about shopping him around. The Swans could be interested losing in the next year or two Barry, Kennelly, Crouch, Kirk, Micky O and Hall. They will need some hard at it players to bounce back up and DFA could suit them nicely. What would they have though?

If we needed to trade for any reason, I would be moving Callan on. A good player at VFL level but no long term future at AFL level. Addison has far more upside and doesn't go to ground as easily.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2009, 04:41 PM
If we needed to trade for any reason, I would be moving Callan on. A good player at VFL level but no long term future at AFL level. Addison has far more upside and doesn't go to ground as easily.
What is it about Tim that makes you think this?

Mantis
01-07-2009, 04:51 PM
And there I was thinking this thread was about possible Ins and Outs for this weeks game??

As with others I would be a little surprised to see Dylan earn a recall, but as others have mentioned he is highly rated at the kennel.

Mofra
01-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Funny you say this, I have being saying it for the last 2 years, and got shouted down when I said that he wasn't in our best 22 because of it. His disposal has improved but he is still way off the mark for afl standard and therefore not in our best team.
I wouldn't be moving him on as some have suggested, but I do think he can be a liability in the backline because of it as I wouldn't be surprised if opposition forwards weren't instructed to drag him deep and try and create a one on one overhead.

He has to play through the middle if he plays where his inside work puts him at an advantage against most opponents, he is (pound for pound) too strong for most midfield types. I guess Reid's name next to his means it is a battle of two similar types for Gia's spot.

Go_Dogs
01-07-2009, 07:22 PM
What is it about Tim that makes you think this?

Not to speak on behalf of EJ, but my guess is that it's because:
1) Timmy is older, has had more chances to 'make it' at the level.
2) Addison is younger, because of this he has more upside (plus, being from a traditionally non-footy state means he has more upside too)

Callan is probably more one-dimensional too.

LostDoggy
02-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Not to speak on behalf of EJ, but my guess is that it's because:
1) Timmy is older, has had more chances to 'make it' at the level.
2) Addison is younger, because of this he has more upside (plus, being from a traditionally non-footy state means he has more upside too)

Callan is probably more one-dimensional too.

What he said

bornadog
02-07-2009, 09:52 AM
And there I was thinking this thread was about possible Ins and Outs for this weeks game??

As with others I would be a little surprised to see Dylan earn a recall, but as others have mentioned he is highly rated at the kennel.

Funny how things go offtrack.

I still doubt Reid will come in, but would be great if he got a chance.