PDA

View Full Version : Round 14, Match Preview: Bulldogs v Hawthorn

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Match Preview – round 14: Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn.
Saturday 4th July, 7:10pm Etihad Stadium.

Last time they met:
2nd Qualifying Final 2008
Hawthorn 18.19.127 d Western Bulldogs 11.10.71

Form:

An interesting time for both clubs to meet. This time last year the Dogs looked shaky and somewhat fatigued leading into and coming out of the mid-season break, and the Hawks were building strongly. This year the opposite is the case, with the Hawks battling both injuries and consistency, whilst the Dogs look to be trending upwards.

The Hawks are obviously well down on their Premiership form of 2008 having lost 3 out of their last 4 games culminating in a shock loss to the Eagles last weekend. They now find themselves 6 and 7 and in danger of missing the 8.

No doubt injuries have played a part in Hawthorns shaky season to date, however it is their intensity and work-rate especially in second halves which has let them down in the past month.

Against an undermanned Lions defense, the Hawks were shut down in the middle after half time and therefore their height advantage up forward was negated.

The Dogs after a mini slump of 3 losses in a row, have rebounded strongly following a heartbreaking 2 point loss against the unbeaten Cats. Since then the Dogs have won four straight and have for the most part looked back to their running best.

Key Injuries:

The Dogs have one definite and significant loss with Giansiracusa out and possibly another with Gilbee no certainty to play .The Hawks injury woes continue missing Rioli and Williams and possibly Dew and Lewis.

Key Match ups:

Morris v Roughead
Lake v Franklin

On paper these two look like mismatches in the Hawks favour (as its proved to be the last time we met). However the key to this working is how hard we pressure and stifle the Hawks run out of the middle. If we can contain their midfield from the clearances and slow their forward entries then guys like Hargrave, Harbrow and Gilbee (if he plays) will be able to work as 3rd man in.

Picken v Mitchell
Crucial to our ability to stop the run is to negate their pure ball winner Mitchell. Boyd did this successfully against Mitchell during the home and away match last season. However I think Boyd's value to the team right now is to play a positive role himself. Which leaves Picken the choice to try to shut down Mitchell

Boyd v Sewell
Sewell is one of the few Hawks to be playing at the same level as last year. Boyd has himself gone up another gear. Boyd has the strength and tenacity to beat Sewell to go with Sewell and shades Sewell with his speed and use of the ball.

Eagleton v Bateman
Bateman is a crucial runner, and Eagleton has the speed, to go with him, and also the skills to hurt the Hawks and perhaps force Bateman to pay him some respect. I've liked Eagleton's defensive efforts this year, and he will need to employ it to full effect to curb Bateman's influence.

Hill v Hodge
Hodge sets up play for the Hawks and also performs well as third man into marking contests. I think Hill has shown alot more defensive pressure in his game of late, and also has the aerial skills to compete with Hodge. On the flipside Hill's attacking skills may force Hodge to be more defensively minded and may inhibit his run off the half back line.

Minson/Hudson v Campbell/Renouf
Minson's form in recent weeks has been great, and Hudson is as consistent as ever with his second and third efforts in stoppages. Hudson I feel will play more of the centre work and try to stop them from getting a quick release to outside runners, and Minson could spend more time up forward - potentially forcing them to position Campbell deep in defense for large portions of the game.

Where will it be won and lost?

Simply put if Hawthorn secure quick and regular ball from the centre and if our forwards are not applying consistent pressure, then Morris and Lake won't stand a chance and neither will the Bulldogs.

If on the other hand the Dogs can win the majority of the clearances and in turn run and carry quickly through the Hawks zone we have the spread of finishers to put the Hawks to the sword.

Mitchell and Bateman cannot be allowed to have an influence in the middle, and Hodge must not be able to play as the loose man in defense.

Summary

Whoever plays on Sewell and Mitchell, they must beat them to give us the edge and allow us to do as the Lions did in denying quick supply of the ball to Roughy and Buddy.

We will need someone to step up in Giansiracusa's absence and ensure effective entry into our forward fifty.

Furthermore we will need to use the ball a heck of alot better than we did against North otherwise the ball will transfer with speed to Franklin and Roughead with results similar to that of last year's Qualifying final loss.

Finally when the Hawks do win possession of the ball we need to deny them the opportunity to move it on quickly, and force them to make mistakes under pressure. Similar to what we achieved against them down in Tasmania last year.

I think that we will be too strong for the Hawks in the middle, and as the game wears on our fitness will become important as they have several underdone players which should see us be able to move the ball freely through the centre.

Providing our use of the ball is better than it was against North and we do not allow the Hawks too much room to move quickly when they have the ball I think we can win this one and cement our top 3 position.

Dogs by 30 points.

Sedat
30-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Great summary YHF.

Do you think that perhaps Crossy would be a better match-up for Mitchell, leaving Picken to either keep Hodge honest or take on their most important run and carry option in Bateman (Picken has not manned up against any of the inside extractors this year to date)? If the midfield match-ups go as you have suggested, Crossy becomes the spare floater, and it's fair to say that his deployment as the spare man in defence in last year's disastrous final was a big failure, simultaneously putting a questionable disposor by foot in an important defensive rebounding position and robbing us of crucial inside grunt in the process.

I like the idea of Cross being in and around the stoppages as much as possible this week to ensure that Hawthorn has as much trouble as possible gaining clean clearances with which to feed their key forwards.

Hawthorn slogged it out in the elements in Perth last week, which you'd imagine won't help their recovery for this week.

bornadog
30-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Great preview, YHF. Agree with everything you have said.

In regards to filling in for Gia, I think you will find Murphy will play forward this week as he did in the second half against North. The dogs have been easing him back into the team and this is the week he will be needed up forward, especially now that Gia is not playing and unable to give us goal assists. Murphy also needs to fiund targets, as he tends to play on quickly and bomb the ball in long. Mitch Hahn also needs to step up and really put the pressure on a very weak, Hawthorn backline.

Agree the game will be won by the better midfield, and we need four quarters from Griffen, who can really break a game open. He showed us in the third quarter on Sunday what he can do, but we need that for the whole game.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Great summary YHF.

Do you think that perhaps Crossy would be a better match-up for Mitchell, leaving Picken to either keep Hodge honest or take on their most important run and carry option in Bateman (Picken has not manned up against any of the inside extractors this year to date)? If the midfield match-ups go as you have suggested, Crossy becomes the spare floater, and it's fair to say that his deployment as the spare man in defence in last year's disastrous final was a big failure, simultaneously putting a questionable disposor by foot in an important defensive rebounding position and robbing us of crucial inside grunt in the process.

I like the idea of Cross being in and around the stoppages as much as possible this week to ensure that Hawthorn has as much trouble as possible gaining clean clearances with which to feed their key forwards.

Hawthorn slogged it out in the elements in Perth last week, which you'd imagine won't help their recovery for this week.

You have an extremely valid point re Cross on Mitchell, Crossy was a disaster in the floating role.

My thought process of Eagleton on Bateman was based on Eagleton's attacking skills possibly forcing Bateman to have to pay some defensive attention which may in turn mean he's not always going to be a free outside option for Hawthorn to go to.

I wonder if Picken could be effective on the half back flank on Osborne?

LostDoggy
30-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Great preview mate.

Every week you think Hawthorn will lift, but yet they disappoint (themselves & their fans) again and again. I just hope it's not this week that they decide to fire up. Even though I think the Doggies can overcome them even if they do decide to fire up.

Rocco Jones
30-06-2009, 07:08 PM
I am selling Picken on Hodge to anyone who bothers to read my posts this week. I think it's a very bad idea to play an out and out tagger on an inside midfielder who wins their own ball like Mitchell. Picken has a sense for goal as well.

LostDoggy
30-06-2009, 07:14 PM
I think we can take advantage in the ruck department, can probably win it from there.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2009, 07:15 PM
I am selling Picken on Hodge to anyone who bothers to read my posts this week. I think it's a very bad idea to play an out and out tagger on an inside midfielder who wins their own ball like Mitchell. Picken has a sense for goal as well.

Yes...Yes Rocco....thankfully I'm I'm not on the selection panel!!:o

Picken on Mitchell = very bad move.

I'll concede on that issue.

Rocco Jones
30-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Yes...Yes Rocco....thankfully I'm I'm not on the selection panel!!:o

Picken on Mitchell = very bad move.

I'll concede on that issue.

Sorry mate, didn't mean to have a go at your post. Great work on the review.

One other thing is that I would go with Morris on Buddy and Lake on Roughead.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I think we can take advantage in the ruck department, can probably win it from there.

I agree. I wonder if Hudson has the capacity to play a larger portion of the game in the ruck so we can leave Minson up forward for larger periods? Thus forcing the Hawks to have to play Campbell in defense longer or conceding height to Minson by playing a smaller opponent on him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Sorry mate, didn't mean to have a go at your post. Great work on the review.

One other thing is that I would go with Morris on Buddy and Lake on Roughead.

That's fine Rocco.. wasn't insinuating that you were roasting me... more embarrassment on my part for putting Picken in a role he has not played to date.

I think the Morris matchup might depend on the circumstances of the game. I thought Lake looked better on Buddy in the second half of the Finals game, and I'm just not sure if Morris has the strength one on one against Roughy?

Mofra
30-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Good preview - certainly seems like we are happy to go undersized in defence in the past few weeks, sacrificing height for quality in the absence of a fit Williams. Buddy/Roughy on papaer looks like our major worry, but the midfield is where it will be won & lost. Last year's QF the Hawks ran us ragged, a half-fit Cooney didn't help.
This time around we'll have Boyd, Cross, Eagle & Picken running hard, with Cooney & Griffen playing effective burst minutes.

lemmon
30-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Great preview, I would like to see Picken go to Bateman. Hawthorns best runner and outside midfielder, he looks to be a good matchup for the young fella.
I also think Roughead will have a bit too much strength for Morris while Franklin might be a bit agile for Lake so I would prefer to see Lake on Roughy and Morris on Franklin.

Could Hargrave go to Brown when he's up there, with Mark Williams out it frees him up a bit and gives us that extra flexibility. Also I think Harbrow will go to Osborne.

boydogs
30-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Great preview, I would like to see Picken go to Bateman. Hawthorns best runner and outside midfielder, he looks to be a good matchup for the young fella.
I also think Roughead will have a bit too much strength for Morris while Franklin might be a bit agile for Lake so I would prefer to see Lake on Roughy and Morris on Franklin.

Could Hargrave go to Brown when he's up there, with Mark Williams out it frees him up a bit and gives us that extra flexibility. Also I think Harbrow will go to Osborne.

Cyril Rioli out too, its not just their defense ravaged by injury. Agree with Picken on Bateman and probably the backs as well, but I loved Lake getting under Buddy's skin last year

Mantis
30-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Good work on the preview YHF.

It certainly shapes up as a season defining game for the Hawks as you would think that if they don't win this week their chance at back to back flags would almost be over. As it sits at the moment they play the top 4 sides over the next 6 weeks so they will certainly earn their finals spot if they achieve it.

I think we catch them at a good time as we are probably in need of a tough match having come off some reasonably easy games. As we all know we have some tough games coming up too so hopefully we can find some good form against the Hawks.

So what to we expect this week, well the Hawks have been mis-firing a fair bit, but you would think they will come out hard this week. They destroyed us in the finals last year and they will be looking for a similar performance.

On the match-up side of things it will be quite interesting and the discussion so far covers off most of these. From my perspective I hope we match the hardness and ball winning abilities of Sewell & Mitchell in the middle, make Hodge accountable by drawing him away from his comfort zone .ie. draw him wide and play through his opponent and somehow keep the twin towers in check, although it must be said that neither are in the form they showed last year.

I would hope that if we can win our fair share of the ball and use it well we will expose a Hawthorn defence which is really struggling. This game will give us a good idea of how much we have improved & matured from last year and give us an early guide to how we might go in the finals. Really looking forward to the challenges this game presents.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-07-2009, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=Mantis;94099]Good work on the preview YHF.

On the match-up side of things it will be quite interesting and the discussion so far covers off most of these. From my perspective I hope we match the hardness and ball winning abilities of Sewell & Mitchell in the middle, make Hodge accountable by drawing him away from his comfort zone .ie. draw him wide and play through his opponent and somehow keep the twin towers in check, although it must be said that neither are in the form they showed last year.IQUOTE]

I agree completely on Hodge, which is why I nominated Hill to go to him. However Rocco also raises an interesting alternative in Picken.
I think Hill's defensive side has improved in recent weeks, his chasing and tackling. I also think he has the attacking skills to burn Hodge if he plays him too loose, and in turn might force Hodge to play tighter, removing his ability to run off and play the rebound role which he is so good at.

Go_Dogs
01-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Good work on the preview YHF.

On the match-up side of things it will be quite interesting and the discussion so far covers off most of these. From my perspective I hope we match the hardness and ball winning abilities of Sewell & Mitchell in the middle, make Hodge accountable by drawing him away from his comfort zone .ie. draw him wide and play through his opponent and somehow keep the twin towers in check, although it must be said that neither are in the form they showed last year.

I agree completely on Hodge, which is why I nominated Hill to go to him. However Rocco also raises an interesting alternative in Picken.
I think Hill's defensive side has improved in recent weeks, his chasing and tackling. I also think he has the attacking skills to burn Hodge if he plays him too loose, and in turn might force Hodge to play tighter, removing his ability to run off and play the rebound role which he is so good at.

IMO, neither Hill nor Picken are strong enough bodies to go with Hodge. Could Hahn possibly be given a role to make him earn every touch?

It is an interesting one, as Hodge absolutely spanked us last year in the QF. He has to be kept quiet, but not sure who we have who can do the role, and there is no way we can allow him that same freedom in our forward half.

hujsh
01-07-2009, 07:32 PM
IMO, neither Hill nor Picken are strong enough bodies to go with Hodge. Could Hahn possibly be given a role to make him earn every touch?

It is an interesting one, as Hodge absolutely spanked us last year in the QF. He has to be kept quiet, but not sure who we have who can do the role, and there is no way we can allow him that same freedom in our forward half.

Didn't Hahn have that role in the QF last year as well?

Rocco Jones
01-07-2009, 07:34 PM

Endurance is more important than strength when it comes to tagging. I think Mitch would be gone by 1/4 time if he had to apply the pressure needed on Hodge.

Picken might not have a strong body but his toughness makes up for it imo. Liam strikes me as the type of bloke who could beat a stronger bloke in a fight.

Mantis
01-07-2009, 07:35 PM

I wouldn't have thought that Hahn would have the stamina to go with Hodge, but I might be wrong. I wouldn't mind seeing Higgins play a role on Hodge at some point in time.

What we do need to do is make Hodge accountable and the only way to do that is to play through his opponent. In the QF after Hodge went to Minson at the first bounce I would have cleared out the F50 and kicked it on top of Will's head, but we clogged up the space and Hodge played the zone off role perfectly.

If Hodge wants to zone off this time around we must continually kick to his opponent and see if Hodge changes his playing style.

Go_Dogs
01-07-2009, 07:42 PM
hujsh - not sure. I was there, but most of it has been scrubbed from my memory. Perhaps Hahn did play a role on him. Mantis has alluded to Hodge going to Minson, I'm unsure...

Rocco - I've had that scene from one of Eddie Murphy's classics in my head all day, "GO ROCKO!" You make a very good point. Fitness is important, but Hill and perhaps Picken, whilst they might be able to chase him, not sure they'll be able to tackle him and bring him to ground.

It's an interesting one, because Hill probably won't make Hodge accountable enough, he plays more cameo roles at this stage. On the flipside, if Hodge pays Josh no respect, Josh is liable to tear the game apart. For me, Picken must go to Bateman.

Mantis - Higgins idea is a good one too. He did the job on Milburn. I for one thought Higgo was pretty disappointing when he went forward last weekend. He still got on the end of a couple, but he just wasn't dangerous, wasn't a presence in the forward line, like we had become accustomed to in previous years.

Your point about dictating our entry style around how Hodge plays is a good one. If Hodge is zoning off, we must repeatedly hit up his man.

Rocco Jones
01-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Rocco - I've had that scene from one of Eddie Murphy's classics in my head all day, "GO ROCKO!" You make a very good point. Fitness is important, but Hill and perhaps Picken, whilst they might be able to chase him, not sure they'll be able to tackle him and bring him to ground.

Haha thanks.

Tackling is about so much more than strength. Bit like hitting a golf ball (which I am shocking at) where technique is more important than strength and power. Picken has the 2nd highest total tackles for us and the highest average this season. 11 more tackles than Hahn. Also, no point in having strength if you can't keep up with your opponent.

Go_Dogs
01-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Haha thanks.

Tackling is about so much more than strength. Bit like hitting a golf ball (which I am shocking at) where technique is more important than strength and power. Picken has the 2nd highest total tackles for us and the highest average this season. 11 more tackles than Hahn. Also, no point in having strength if you can't keep up with your opponent.

All very valid points. I'm just glad I'm not on the match committee this week, not an easy gig.

The Pie Man
01-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Great review and posts as always

Question I've been thinking about - who does Hargrave take? Could he take one of Buddy/Roughead if Williams isn't named and Rocket's still having nightmares about Morris in the 08 QF?

Rocco Jones
01-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Great review and posts as always

Question I've been thinking about - who does Hargrave take? Could he take one of Buddy/Roughead if Williams isn't named and Rocket's still having nightmares about Morris in the 08 QF?

I think Rocket likes finding a matchup Shaggy that he can exploit going the other way, whether it be a smaller opponent or a taller target that isn't used much as a target. Buddy or Roughead obviously wouldn't fall into either category.

Mantis
01-07-2009, 11:11 PM
I think Rocket likes finding a matchup Shaggy that he can exploit going the other way, whether it be a smaller opponent or a taller target that isn't used much as a target. Buddy or Roughead obviously wouldn't fall into either category.

So who do we think Shaggy will go to?

lemmon
01-07-2009, 11:12 PM

Perhaps Cambell Brown if he lines up there?

Rocco Jones
01-07-2009, 11:32 PM
So who do we think Shaggy will go to?

Perhaps Cambell Brown if he lines up there?

Thanks lemmon.

Without knowing what team the Hawks will go in if I would say Campbell Brown. If the Hawks replaced Williams with a tall forward (which I both doubt and would love) I would put Shaggy on him.

Osborne is one we might struggle with.

The Adelaide Connection
02-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Rocco - I've had that scene from one of Eddie Murphy's classics in my head all day, "GO ROCKO!"

"...and give me another box of juicyfruit and the big N**** is going to pay for it...".

Raw and Delirious were the best things that Eddie Murphy ever did.

Back on the thread topic, there hasn't been much talk about when Croad is coming back over here, has there been anything in the Melbourne media. :rolleyes:

Mantis
02-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks lemmon.

Without knowing what team the Hawks will go in if I would say Campbell Brown. If the Hawks replaced Williams with a tall forward (which I both doubt and would love) I would put Shaggy on him.

Osborne is one we might struggle with.

Shaggy can atest to that.

Mofra
02-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Back on the thread topic, there hasn't been much talk about when Croad is coming back over here, has there been anything in the Melbourne media. :rolleyes:
Nothing, not a single line. In the media.

bornadog
02-07-2009, 10:27 AM

Did see something last week that he was back training. Someone from Hawthorn told me he may never play again, but not sure about that.

Mantis
02-07-2009, 10:28 AM

Except in the MMM box.

Didn't it result in some food getting tipped on someone's head.....

Mofra
02-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Did see something last week that he was back training. Someone from Hawthorn told me he may never play again, but not sure about that.
Players who have been known to acquire a non-specific, indefinate injury often have trouble getting back - and if they do, sometimes it's at another club.

Rocco Jones
02-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Perhaps we will base our replacement for Gian on who can match up on Osborne. I think Reid might be a decent enough fit.

Mantis
03-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Perhaps we will base our replacement for Gian on who can match up on Osborne. I think Reid might be a decent enough fit.

If that would have been the case I think Callan or Addison would have come into the team.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2009, 03:02 PM
If that would have been the case I think Callan or Addison would have come into the team.

Yeah, I don't know about that. I see Callan and Addison as match ups for forward pockets who mainly stay forward and rely on damaging disposals.

Osborne covers a lot of ground and is probably more suited to an outside tag/run with than a back pocket type match imho. More of a modern day roaming HF. I think that role could suit Addison but I wouldn't want Callan covering that much ground.

Mantis
03-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I don't know about that. I see Callan and Addison as match ups for forward pockets who mainly stay forward and rely on damaging disposals.

Osborne covers a lot of ground and is probably more suited to an outside tag/run with than a back pocket type match imho. More of a modern day roaming HF. I think that role could suit Addison but I wouldn't want Callan covering that much ground.

Yet you were happy to allow Reid to play this role and from what I have seen of Reid he is an 'inside' midfielder who very rarely (I have never seen it happen) plays in defence.

Both Callan & Addison have spent time in the midfield this year at VFL level so have reasonable tanks and I would think are much more suited to picking up a mobile HF player like Osborne, than Reid.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Yet you were happy to allow Reid to play this role and from what I have seen of Reid he is an 'inside' midfielder who very rarely (I have never seen it happen) plays in defence.

Both Callan & Addison have spent time in the midfield this year at VFL level so have reasonable tanks and I would think are much more suited to picking up a mobile HF player like Osborne, than Reid.

Yeah that's a fair enough call. I guess I see the traits needed to stopping Osborne pretty close to those a defensive midfielder.

Picken's role changed a fair bit when he moved from Willy to playing seniors for us, I see Reid as being similar.

Mofra
03-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Callan definately, Addison I'm not sure. His agility is reasonable but not spectacular, and I don't rate his overhead ability. Osbourne is surprisingly good in both areas.

Essentially Reid & Addison are best suited to the same sort of role. I rate Callan's work in the middle however it's as a defender he does his best work so not sure if he'll get the chance at senior level there.

The Adelaide Connection
03-07-2009, 03:29 PM

I know it differs from club to club, but do the bulldogs emergencies generally play Vfl? Just wondering whether rocket may pull some switcheroo action.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2009, 03:33 PM
I think it's natural to move into a tagging/run with/defensive role for the first time when you are promoted to a higher level.

The Adelaide Connection
03-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Except in the MMM box.

Didn't it result in some food getting tipped on someone's head.....

I heard an audio snippet with the reaction to that but I never found out exactly what was said and by whom, what happened?

boydogs
03-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I heard an audio snippet with the reaction to that but I never found out exactly what was said and by whom, what happened?

Quarters said Croad's future was looking more and more cloudy, Dunstall said that was rubbish and it went on from there. You can listen to it below

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/blog/rice-gate-controversy-gets-messy/20090602-495t.html

dog town
03-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Its basically a final for Hawthorn so I expect this game to be one of our toughest for the year. The hawks can be a strange side to play against and they still have plenty of guns playing. They have some of the best inside midfielders in the game and two of the best tall forwards so we have plenty of things to be concerned about.

What the hawks do well is they get inside very quickly whether they are playing the midfield zone or just going man on man as they have done at times this season. That means they get numbers in and around the contest very quickly when the ball hits the ground. Although they are known as being very good around the stoppages it is quality over quantity for them. They win very clean stoppages when they win them as opposed to getting the odd dinky little 15 metre kick to space. They organise very well around congestion and will always have a sweeper out the back that Sam Mitchell invariably finds. Fortunately we are also pretty good in this area now and we will need to make sure we get numbers in these contests to prevent the hawks getting those clean take aways. If they win it we want them to force a kick as the hawks game plan revolves around getting the ball in the hands of the better kicks in there side.

I get the feeling they are not all that concerned about our forward line because we dont have that gun tall. They back themselves with the small defenders to beat us one on one in my opinion. Personally I think we need Murphy up forward to break up Hodge from dropping in the gaps between forwards but he will likely play back. They will try and push Hodge to Hahn again I reckon. Its a terrific match up for them because Hahn just sort of floats around looking for packs and isnt smart enough with his leads to make Hodge accountable. When they do get caught one on one Hodge is competitive enough to hold his own. We may have to push Hahn to the goal square in this scenario. Hill troubled hem deep in the second half of the final last season so they will put a bit of work into him. Hill draws the ball in long and for a mid size player thats pretty rare. It just gives us a bit of variety.

We should have an advantage for run and in the ruck. Hopefully Minson and Hudson can really get hold of them in the ruck and get the ball out in the open so that we can spread them.