PDA

View Full Version : We, as a part of the footy world...

bulldogtragic
05-07-2009, 06:56 PM
How long do we give Tom Hawkins to prove himself.

There was all the type, and a lot (icnluding me) we're upset they could get him with a 3rd rounder.

I don't know how long you give him, but i have given up. So much so if he was offered for trade i wouldn't consider it. I think he is not the real deal and that Ryan Gamble offers more.

Twodogs
05-07-2009, 07:20 PM
He was the one whose selection caused the stupid F/S rule we're stuck with now too!

LostDoggy
05-07-2009, 07:28 PM
At the time of his selection the complaints were warranted

In the mid-year of 2006, Hawkins was selected to play in the 2006 Under 18's National Championships, lining up at full forward for Vic Metro. A best on ground performance which yielded 12 marks and 6 goals in the opening match against South Australia began a wave of unprecedented hype and attention, with Hawkins drawing comparisons to Brisbane Lion Jonathan Brown and leading Vic Metro coach David Dickson to declare the young forward as "the best footballer I've seen...since Chris Judd".[9] Hawkins was awarded the Larke Medal as the MVP within Division 1 and named as the tournament's All-Australian full-forward, just falling short of the all-time contested marking record held by Justin Koschitzke.[10][11], due largely to the final game being played in heavy rain.

From wikipedia.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Ironic.

He was so bloody good everyone was outraged and he can't positon himslef, take enough marks, contest to AFL level nor kick straight when he does get it.

The is the AFL defintion of irony.

ledge
05-07-2009, 07:30 PM
He definitley has no confidence with his kicking but in another side who knows.

The Coon Dog
05-07-2009, 07:35 PM
He was the one whose selection caused the stupid F/S rule we're stuck with now too!
That's not fact Twodogs, just your opinion. ;)

Mofra
05-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Give the kid time. How old was Fossie when he established himself in our best 18?

AndrewP6
05-07-2009, 08:30 PM
I think depending on the others involved, a trade could work... lots of players have gone on to another club and found their niche... call it the Ray phenomenon. :)

If it could be done, I'd look at him...

boydogs
05-07-2009, 08:49 PM
He plays like a mouse, if he contested like Johnno, Mooney or Hall he would be hard to stop. I can still see him improving with experience, a new environment may help the penny drop but if you can't succeed playing for Geelong where can you?

The Underdog
05-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Certainly he's not impacted like many had hoped and he was very ordinary today but jeez he doesn't turn 21 for 3 weeks. Personally I think it's too early to write him off. He's playing with no confidence and I'm sure the weight of expectation is part of that. He's clearly still working it out and who knows how long that will take him.
Not everyone is Jonathan Brown by 21.

The Pie Man
05-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I'd be persevering if I were in the Geelong camp - better long term option than Lonergan IMO. He's built up nicely for his age.

Sockeye Salmon
05-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Nah, he's a dud.

Geelong should trade him for a 4th rounder.

To us. :)

Plenty of time for the kid to come good, and he will. I'd love to have him

LostDoggy
05-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Certainly he's not impacted like many had hoped and he was very ordinary today but jeez he doesn't turn 21 for 3 weeks. Personally I think it's too early to write him off. He's playing with no confidence and I'm sure the weight of expectation is part of that. He's clearly still working it out and who knows how long that will take him.

Good points. When I think back to when I was 20 years old ... Expectation can be a heavy burden and agree that players like Brown can set an exceptionally high bar. The media hype around this young man when he debuted was extraordinary. He can play the game, but as others have said, perhaps he needs a new environment.

LostDoggy
05-07-2009, 10:24 PM

Not everyone is Chris Grant at 17 :)

alwaysadog
05-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Even the great Wyane for the Roos wasn't an instant success. Though once he got going it all fell into place very quickly.

I'd rather have him in the seconds 'til he contracted leather poisoning - it's not as if they need him, their smalls are the main attacking weapons. A token tall in football is worth than a token male ... no, maybe I won't go there.

Dry Rot
05-07-2009, 11:30 PM
The 3AW radio callers suggested that he is pretty clueless as a forward (poor leads etc)

The Bulldogs Bite
05-07-2009, 11:46 PM
The 3AW radio callers suggested that he is pretty clueless as a forward (poor leads etc)

He's a dumb footballer.

Might only be young but he simply hasn't got any instinct. His reading of the play is absolutely horrible. How many times does he fail to make a contest? It's poor. He is always out of position - that's not a good sign IMHO.

Nobody expects young KPF's to dominate but you want to see them work hard and position themselves so that they can contest the ball. Hawkins rarely does this and his kicking is as bad as anyone's.

He might come good but boy, he's a long, long way from it.

Twodogs
06-07-2009, 01:34 PM
That's not fact Twodogs, just your opinion. ;)

We've already been shafted Baz. The moment a Collingwood or similiar are faced with the same situation as we were last year they will moan, complain and whinge until the rule is changed.

Twodogs
06-07-2009, 01:36 PM

The 3AW radio callers are a pretty clueless lot themselves. Has Rex gone yet?

lemmon
06-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Im not writing him off but maybe he was one of those guys that was far more physically developed then a lot of the guys he played against at under 18 level, that he was always going to dominate.

Dancin' Douggy
06-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Good points. When I think back to when I was 20 years old ... Expectation can be a heavy burden and agree that players like Brown can set an exceptionally high bar. The media hype around this young man when he debuted was extraordinary. He can play the game, but as others have said, perhaps he needs a new environment.

.......well when I was 20 I was an absolutely dominant champion midfielder.
Still can't work out why I was never drafted....................hmmmmmmm..............

LostDoggy
06-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Dud now.

Future? Who knows.