PDA

View Full Version : Barry Hall displays perfect timing

The Coon Dog
07-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Barry Hall displays perfect timing (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25746188-19742,00.html)

IF BARRY Hall truly wants to extend his playing career, he couldn't have picked a better time to walk away from the Swans.

Parting company with Sydney was his only option, because his position at the Swans was totally untenable.

His coach didn’t want him, and the club’s heart and soul - midfielder Brett Kirk - didn’t want him.

When Kirky says he can’t trust you, your papers at Sydney are well and truly stamped.

But as much as Hall’s aggression problems are an immense obstacle for any potential suitors, his last game as a Swan was exceptional from a football perspective.

In his 250th game, he moved as well as at any time in the past three years and kicked four telling goals.

Premiership captains of Hall’s quality – and going for cheap – just don’t come onto the market very often, even considering his age.

If the 32-year-old had played out this season and struggled, his value as a prospective recruit would have been trampled in the dust.

As it is, rival clubs will have his most recent game in their minds when they come to consider whether he is a viable target.

The problem is that last game also saw the Ben Rutten incident, and that total lack of control over his aggression might prove an insurmountable hurdle.

Would you want Barry Hall at your team? Have your say at the SuperFooty Forum.

The Bulldogs were keen on Hall last year, but never really got close to recruiting him with Sydney looking at other trades that never eventuated.

Make no mistake, they will scrutinise him heavily again.

But a decision on Hall will heavily depend on how their forward line stands up in the finals.

It is ticking over beautifully right now, good enough even for them to have the luxury of playing Robert Murphy into form in defence.

If it founders again in September, as it did at times last year, then Hall will be priority No.1.

They have young talls in Jordan Roughead, Ayce Cordy and Jarrad Grant, but they are still 18 months away from playing regular AFL.

If the Dogs stumble in the finals, and Hall can prove he can keep his anger in check, then don’t be surprised if Hall becomes yet another successful 30-plus recruit at Whitten Oval.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the Kennell Barry.

Dogs 24/7
07-07-2009, 07:01 PM
I would prefer that we give him a miss.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2009, 07:06 PM
I would prefer that we give him a miss.
I undertsand, but that allows Grant to get a third string backman and play flank and pocket ad egt into AFL while our new gorilla full forward takes the heat. It also opens up for crumbers like Aker did with Brown or perhaps 'Stackalicious' (?) or Lynch.

Welsh retires after 2 years of service. Great swap. Remember, Eade took Bad Bustling Barry to sensibly aggresssive very good player. Eade and Baryy are by all accounts still talk to each other, perhaps playing for the team he followed as a kid, a good coach for him and a midfield that will keep him well fed all day every day will be good.

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 09:23 PM
I think at the start of the year he could've been in the side and see how he went. But, seeing as we are kicking more goals then most teams week in week out, i think bringing him in now will stuff up the structure and game plan Eade has created.

BulldogBelle
07-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Who wrote the article TCD?

The Coon Dog
07-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Who wrote the article TCD?

If you did what I did & clicked on the article you would know it was Jon Ralph.

BulldogBelle
07-07-2009, 10:47 PM
The above article basically says if we dont win the flag this year then we take Barry

Arent we the second highest scoring team, thats saying something about our forward line???

Whenever we loose some genius in the media says, well the doggies dont have a power forward, thats why they lost......honestly, they need to get some new matrial

Didnt Adelaide in 97 have a couple blokes called Jarman and Ellen? Sure they had Robran at CHF but he didnt kick that many goals, Jarman and Ellen did the damage...and during the season Modra only stood 186 or 188cms or so...

Regardless if we finish 1st or 10th we will look at, and probably take Barry

LostDoggy
08-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Why the hell would anybody want to take on a rising 33 year old with his track record? There will be serious doubts as to whether he can consistently recapture anything like his old form at that age.

Add to this his penchant for treating team rules with contempt and this bloke adds up to a disaster.

And consider his playing style. He is not the sort of bloke that you can kick the ball to at the top of the goal square and expect him to take the big one. His forte is the lead - no different to a bloke called Murphy who happens to be probably the best in the League at that.

I cannot imagine a more unsuitable candidate. He is a disgrace to the club and the game

Twodogs
08-07-2009, 02:29 PM

It should still be referenced mate. Some media outlets get a bit narky about it.

The Coon Dog
08-07-2009, 02:55 PM
It should still be referenced mate. Some media outlets get a bit narky about it.
Are you now saying that when we post a link from say The Herald Sun, The Age, Focxsports etc... not only are we to supply the link, but also the journo's name?

Twodogs
08-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Are you now saying that when we post a link from say The Herald Sun, The Age, Focxsports etc... not only are we to supply the link, but also the journo's name?

Just a URL.

The Coon Dog
08-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Just a URL.

I bloody well did that & always do!!!

Twodogs
08-07-2009, 06:05 PM
I bloody well did that & always do!!!

That's a hyperlink isnt it? It should be a URL and needs to have the name of the media organisation that this site sourced it from. It's always been how we source things.

The Coon Dog
08-07-2009, 06:55 PM
That's a hyperlink isnt it? It should be a URL and needs to have the name of the media organisation that this site sourced it from. It's always been how we source things.
I've always done it the way I have, if that's a problem, then no problem, someone else can take the time to find things & keep people updated.

chef
08-07-2009, 07:32 PM
I've always done it the way I have, if that's a problem, then no problem, someone else can take the time to find things & keep people updated.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo but your the best at it on here.

Mofra
08-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Just a URL.
If you put your curser over the link, the URL shows up on most browsers in the bottom left hand side.

AndrewP6
09-07-2009, 12:30 AM
If you put your curser over the link, the URL shows up on most browsers in the bottom left hand side.

If, when you find an article to use, you select the URL (near the top of your screen), copy it (press Control C) and then paste into a post here, you'll get the url, which would have the relevant details (where the article came from)... Is that right?

(Let me know if I just sounded a little too nerd-like):):):)

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Is this topic about Barry Hall possibly coming to the Bulldogs or how to post articles?

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 02:00 AM
Is this topic about Barry Hall possibly coming to the Bulldogs or how to post articles?
Probably now the later. The former is the poll thread.

Remi Moses
11-07-2009, 02:02 AM
Even with the hurt of defeat I still say a resounding no! What settles it for barry is when he continually states he doesn't know if he could keep his fists down. Too risky,just bring our own through

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 03:36 AM

I'm confused. Maybe it's about how to post articles about Barry Hall, or how Barry Hall should post articles on WOOF, or how Barry Hall should reference articles when he's posting stories about WOOF, or how Barry Hall is sick of getting grief about posting articles about TCD without quoting the source, and how if anyone else gives him any more grief he's going to stop posting articles and knock TCD out to start his boxing career.

Or something.

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 03:44 AM
I'm confused. Maybe it's about how to post articles about Barry Hall, or how Barry Hall should post articles on WOOF, or how Barry Hall should reference articles when he's posting stories about WOOF, or how Barry Hall is sick of getting grief about posting articles about TCD without quoting the source, and how if anyone else gives him any more grief he's going to stop posting articles and knock TCD out to start his boxing career.

Or something.

That's so silly... I love it! Hilarious...

Twodogs
11-07-2009, 01:55 PM

Or something.

Heh!
:D

azabob
11-07-2009, 05:23 PM
In theory it would be good to get him but when we drafted Akermanis after missing half a season of footy, didn't it take him another year to get his body right?
Hall would be in the same situation.

BulldogBelle
11-07-2009, 05:42 PM

**** me, sorry, just a question.

The Coon Dog
11-07-2009, 05:44 PM
**** me, sorry, just a question.

No need to be like that, but my point stands, if you had clicked the link you could have found it.

From now on, source the articles yourself & you'll know who wrote them!

BulldogBelle
11-07-2009, 06:08 PM
whatever

The Pie Man
11-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Just to bring the thread back to topic, see Baz shed a few going around the SCG today? I reckon he's done....and I want him down here. It will be a waste of someone who has 2 years of quality football left if so.

The Coon Dog
11-07-2009, 06:15 PM
whatever

What sort of crap post is that?

If you've got something to say, then say it!

Can't source articles yourself? Too much like hard work?

mighty_west
11-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Now now, calm down boys, no point throwing little barbs at one another, it gets you all worked up and feel like crap afterwards, trust me, i know...:D

We are all mates in here..;)

The Coon Dog
11-07-2009, 06:35 PM
We are all mates in here..;)

No we're not & you know what I'm talking about! ;)

BulldogBelle
11-07-2009, 08:34 PM
What sort of crap post is that?

If you've got something to say, then say it!

Can't source articles yourself? Too much like hard work?

All I originally asked was a simple question, ie who was author of the article. I did not realise that I could click on the title to find the source. I am 40 and not overly good with computers. You then post a smartarse response. You could have simply posted the author's name, but no youo could do that. I posted 'whatever' as I did not seek repeat banter, but you couldn't help yourself obviously.

So , you wanna be a smartarse? I think you do post some very good stuff sometimes, but all I asked was whom the author was.

If you want me to say something, then I will state that I think you are very anal retentive person.

It has nothing to do with 'hard work' mate, I just didn't realise.

Desipura
11-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I think we all need to cool down, it was an innocent question asked by Wonnydog that perhaps was taken personally. Twodogs is the one that took TCD to task not Wonnydog

The Coon Dog
11-07-2009, 10:15 PM
If you want me to say something, then I will state that I think you are very anal retentive person.

Then do yourself a favour & whack me on your ignore list, that way you wont have to read any of my anal retentive posts!

mighty_west
11-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Just on posting a news column, not having a go at TCD what so ever or anybody else that posts articles, he does a sensational job at posting them in his own time, but personally, as a show of respect for the writer & source - such as Herald Sun or The Age etc, i think that being a news article perhaps should show that in the header eg:

Barry Hall displays perfect timing [Herald Sun - July 07,2009]

and with the story itself should have posted all the details:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25746188-19742,00.html

Barry Hall displays perfect timing
Jon Ralph | July 07, 2009 01:27pm

IF BARRY Hall truly wants to extend his playing career, he couldn't have picked a better time to walk away from the Swans. Parting company with Sydney was his only option, because his position at the Swans was totally untenable.....etc etc

As for columns on the Bulldogs site, same deal, but just with the first paragraph and link to make people actually read the full story on the Doggies website.

The Coon Dog
11-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Just on posting a news column, not having a go at TCD what so ever or anybody else that posts articles, he does a sensational job at posting them i

Not anymore I don't, someone else can take the time to do it in future, not worth the grief.

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Not anymore I don't, someone else can take the time to do it in future, not worth the grief.

Is it time to form the "The Coon Dog Appreciation Society (TCDAS) ????
If so, what would be on the T-shirt?:)

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 10:42 PM
I can't believe the shit that has been wrote in here, over a mistake of not clicking a link.

Bloody hell.

Desipura
11-07-2009, 10:45 PM
I can't believe the shit that has been wrote in here, over a mistake of not clicking a link.

Bloody hell.
Well said

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Possibly should've locked the topic?

/hides