PDA

View Full Version : It dawned on me whilst sitting in traffic.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2009, 07:38 PM
We get 6 rookies and vets.

2008:

Johnson, West, White, Shaw, Mulligan, Hughes

2009:

Johnson, White, Mulligan, Shaw, Daniels and lucky last pick Liam Picken (Ogle NSW kid and two Fijians).

So despite all the 'who-ha' that went on with our club hero exiting and the like, his back was shot and Eade made a tough call. We used the extra rookie spot for Liam Picken who is now in the best 22. Another call by Eade.

That's why you pay good money for a good coach who makes tough decisions (unlike penny pinching for Rohde) and that's why he should be re-signed ASAP. Cheap as cheaps traded (the pick for) David Mundy who has just played 100 straight games in his vision to improve the list (easy option). Eade cut loose a cult hero and legend and took a risk on a talented kid (tough call).

Sometimes you have to stand back from the brilliance to see it in its entirity.

macca
08-07-2009, 02:11 AM
Wholeheartdily agree with you. Eade not only a great coach, but brilliant at developing our players.

You just have to see the massive improvement in some of our "fringe" players from 2004, to now: Shaggy, Lake, Morris and Boyd. They must be all knocking on all-Australian form. Harbrow has been a revelation this year, DFA can't get a game.

He made some tough calls culling 8 people from the list in his first year, even to my surprise!

When he first came to the dogs, he was quietly not trying to show his luck at inheriting such a skillful team, but lacking some size and body strength. Fast forward, 4 years, and I think he has the team where he wants it. The man has vision, made some tough calls, and him and his assistance around him are very good developers of people. I am very eager to see the emergence of some of our young players!

Mofra
08-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Interesting article on Jack Grimes today online in the Hun, about how he was perhaps granted a debut before his form really warranted it.

To me, that parallels Hills debut, and hopefully Stack's debut as well. Hill went on to have a great pre-season and is now in our best 22 less than 2 years after his debut, and Stack's from after his debut at Willy is better than before it.
Reid is a bit different as his games came on teh back of good form; perhaps Grant is a little in the Hill & Stack boat.

I think Eade is a much better developer of young talent then at least our previous 2 coaches.

comrade
08-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I think Eade is a much better developer of young talent then at least our previous 2 coaches.

I think he reads the reads the young guys quite well and knows what’s required to assist them in going to the next level.

He’s identified that guys such as Stack, Hill and Grant have all the tools to have an impact at AFL, but don’t have the work rate to fully utilize them yet. Throwing them in at the highest level for a single game shows them what’s required to take the next step. With some luck, they're smart enough to realise it and do the work that's required.

Being naturally less gifted, players such as Reid and O’Keefe have been required to perform at a consistently high level before being rewarded. Because they don’t have the tools of the above 3, having a huge work rate is the only way they’ll be able to compete at AFL level.

Ozza
08-07-2009, 06:32 PM
No doubt Eade is very astute in his judgement of players and their potential.
Best example would be Gilbee. He could barely get a game under Rohde - and Rohde was very negative about him. I was speaking to Alvey one night and asked why Gilbee couldn't get a game :

'They don't like blokes who can kick' was his response.

Gilbee was about to leave - and thankfully rocket told Gilbee he wasn't going anywhere.

Sedat
08-07-2009, 06:53 PM
No doubt Eade is very astute in his judgement of players and their potential.
Best example would be Gilbee. He could barely get a game under Rohde - and Rohde was very negative about him. I was speaking to Alvey one night and asked why Gilbee couldn't get a game :

'They don't like blokes who can kick' was his response.

Gilbee was about to leave - and thankfully rocket told Gilbee he wasn't going anywhere.
This is what shits me to tears about Wallace and his assertions about building our current list (apologies for going over old ground). Getting players to the club is one thing, developing these players once they arrive at the club is a different story altogether. Wallace hardly gave sustained and meaningful game time to any of the '99-'00 draftees during his last 2 years as coach. And then all of them, with the possible exception of Lake, actually stalled and even went backwards in the 2 years under Rohde. Gilbee was a notable example but Hargrave regressed, as did Gia, Cross and Hahn.

As soon as Rocket came to the club, these players were taught intently and improved as players to the point where they are now our core leaders. We were a basket case when he came to the club and has proceeded to mould a quality list together in the space of 4 1/2 short years, despite losing 5 key players of massive experience and influence during that time. He has been a truly exceptional coach for us.

bulldogtragic
08-07-2009, 07:12 PM
One of the other points i was making was also, Scott West being nudged allowed Picken to come to the club. And Picken is best 22 now.

But Eade made the tough call, not the popular call. I recall a lot of angst about "West should be alllowed to retire when he wants", or"he's on the veterans list so what's it matter" or "he'll come good again". But West's departure brought about Picken's arrival.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2009, 11:13 PM
A key thing I've noticed is the morale, culture and confidence that Eade has brought to the group. When he first came, Rocket talked openly about how all that needed to change in order for them to achieve anything. Slowly but surely - it has.

We've come a LONG way from the beginning of 2005 when Eade took over.

The morale of the club appears to be very, very good. They've got belief in their own ability - most of them never did.

It's a real credit to Eade because let's face it, this wasn't going to be an easy job. The whole club was in a shambles including the supporters and the way they all thought regarding the constant "mediocrity" calls.

You don't hear too much about all that anymore.

We're not seen as the "poor, old, struggling, hard working Bulldogs."

We're seen as an up and coming, exciting, very promising football club.

Bulldog Joe
08-07-2009, 11:46 PM
I think it is a very important point around the development of players.

When Wallace took over as coach we actually had a very good list developed by Wheeler (and Malthouse) but destroyed in their morale by Joyce.

While Wallace achieved prelims in his first 2 full seasons we were heading downhill as the only player who emerged during his stint was Nathan Brown and he never exhibited a team ethic. It appears that the Wallace thos was "its all about me"

I believe Scotty West suffered seriously in his development in that he became a great accumulator of stats without impacting games in th way his talent could have been used. The evidence against Wallace is more damning in that the game most remembered is the win over Essendon in 2000 where all the kudos was for Wallace and his game day coaching in that one ultimately meaningless victory.

The subsequent journey of Wallace to Richmond has really been more of the same with limited player development and a complete lack of team development.

The Rohde years were an unmitigated disaster and stagnation of the entire list, which has then magically blossomed under Eade.

The team development has also been enhanced by the change in alignment to Williamstown and Brad Gotch as development coach. Williamstown's commitment to the Bulldog cause is clearly evident through their sponsorship of Liam Picken onto the rookie list. What a magnificent decision by Williamstown.

Since Eade has been in charge we have regularly seen new players gradually introduced to see if they can adapt. The players who have been drafted/traded and shown promise or establiashed their place in the team
2005 Morris Griffen
2006 Higgins
2007 Everitt, Harbrow, Hill, Addison, Akermanis, Lynch, Williams
2008 Callan, Hudson, Ward, Reid
2009 Grant, Stack

A consistent story of renewal and development even though many supporters want accelerated renewal I believe we are getting good balance between injecting new blood and picking sides to win games.

Interesting in that although the team is often castigated for the 2007 fade-out (due to horrendous injury run) that was a critical year in introducing new talent.

macca
09-07-2009, 12:17 AM
With the development of some of the young players mentioned above, I am really disappointed with Wight going backwards since 2006. I remember in the finals that year, Eade mentioned we have found a player in Wight, I think he played 11 games that year. Is it a matter of some players just reaching a peak and challenge to overcome, but never achieve ? Is he just physically limited, and not able to hold a key position? Does not have the hands to hold marks ? What does he need to become a David Hale like player ? Is it all in the mind? Are actually a complete lack of footy sense.

Minson is another interesting case in point. Still a developing ruckman, his tap work and body positioning has vastly improved this year. Still, he was out positioned a few times by Mumford ( a second year player) during the Geelong game.

DFA's progress has been a revelation. Harbrow, Picken have had stellar seasons, and Callan is unlucky not to get a game.

Williams progress at the second half of this year, will be interesting. I get a sense he would be great trade material. I am still not convinced of Williams as a footyballer. Athlete, yes, but now natural born footballer.

Bulldog Joe
09-07-2009, 07:16 AM
With the development of some of the young players mentioned above, I am really disappointed with Wight going backwards since 2006. I remember in the finals that year, Eade mentioned we have found a player in Wight, I think he played 11 games that year. Is it a matter of some players just reaching a peak and challenge to overcome, but never achieve ? Is he just physically limited, and not able to hold a key position? Does not have the hands to hold marks ? What does he need to become a David Hale like player ? Is it all in the mind? Are actually a complete lack of footy sense.

Minson is another interesting case in point. Still a developing ruckman, his tap work and body positioning has vastly improved this year. Still, he was out positioned a few times by Mumford ( a second year player) during the Geelong game.

DFA's progress has been a revelation. Harbrow, Picken have had stellar seasons, and Callan is unlucky not to get a game.

Williams progress at the second half of this year, will be interesting. I get a sense he would be great trade material. I am still not convinced of Williams as a footyballer. Athlete, yes, but now natural born footballer.

I was a real fan of Wight leading into his selection. He played some terrific games at Werribee as a pure spoiling defender and again when promoted to the senior team.
Unfortunately, Rocket also tried to get him to take the next step and provide some rebound and forward thrust as well. In his games in 08 he kicked 2 or 3 goals from CHB. When he was trying to provide this rebound he started to make mistakes and those mistakes cost his spot. He was also tried through the training to play CHF. It appears to me that his confidence appears shot and this would be exacerbated by the attitude of supporters who want him gone from the list.
I would not be surprised if he has mental issues and a fresh start somewhere else would help. The problem of course is that he is not going well enough for anyone else to be interested. If he was at Hawthorn he would be a better option as a key defender than some of the players they have given a run (on his 06-07 form).

Williams is a separate issue, but I also believe confidence is a big part of it. The injuries he has copped are really unusual and 3 unrelated injuries (navicular, thigh, shoulder) were in relatively quick succession. He must feel that every twinge is career threatening.
He needs to develop the confidence in his body to play through the niggles before he will really develop the confidence to give 100% to his footy. To do this he needs to play every week, whether at Williamstown or at Bulldogs.

We have been patient as he is now 5th year on the list, but Will is in his 7th and seems to have found a new level in recent weeks. Stick with Tommy he may add the additional factor that gets us a flag. He certainly improves our options when we meet St Kilda.

LostDoggy
09-07-2009, 12:01 PM
You've all said it perfectly. Here- Here- Rocket to stay!!

LostDoggy
09-07-2009, 12:05 PM
This is one area of mass consensus I believe, the matter of Rodney Eade. Haven't come across any Dogs fans that don't think highly of him.

bulldogtragic
09-07-2009, 12:20 PM
This is one area of mass consensus I believe, the matter of Rodney Eade. Haven't come across any Dogs fans that don't think highly of him.
I agree. Eade is a very, very coach and bloke by all accounts. Makes time for a lot of people and genuienly wants to be remembered as a 'bulldogs person', not s swans a hawks person. That is the ultimate compliment to our club and indicative of why he WILL be around for many years to come.

But in jest, The Simpsons famed 'inanimate carbon rod' would be hailed the hero coach being compared to 'Cheap as Chips'.

LostDoggy
09-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Rocket has been an extremely good fit for our club. He is also a very down to earth approachable human being, and I for one feel very optimistic about our team and our club as a result of the combination of Rocket, Smorgo and Rose:)