PDA

View Full Version : Anyone rate Essendon? Are you worried?

bornadog
14-07-2009, 01:37 PM
They have beaten:

Freo, Carlton (twice) Collingwood (early in the season), Hawthorn, Richmond, Melbourne and Sydney.

Lost to:

Collingwood, Port, North, Brisbane, Saints, Geelong, Adelaide,

This week I feel is a danger game, and we really need to win.

Stefcep
14-07-2009, 01:42 PM
It IS a danger game. They play a very fast quick slick brand of footy, and on their day are a huge threat. I don't think they're ready this year to challenge for a top 4 place, but next year will be thereabouts. Lose this one and we're in trouble for a top 4 spot.

The Coon Dog
14-07-2009, 01:44 PM
I just have a feeling that we will comfortably, so no, not worried.

LostDoggy
14-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Lets see how we start the game this week!!

BulldogBelle
14-07-2009, 01:54 PM
This week I feel is a danger game, and we really need to win.

Same here BAD, I don't take any team lightly. Must win game for us, we need to get a jump on the pack below us, Collingwood, Adelaide and Brisbane.

BulldogBelle
14-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Lets see how we start the game this week!!

Yes, we need to get off the blocks early, the Bombers move the ball very quickly and we wouldn't want to give them a big headstart.

Mantis
14-07-2009, 02:14 PM
If we apply good defensive pressure we will have no problems, but if we allow a free passage for the Essendon runners through the middle of the ground (like we did against Collingwood) we may find a tough opponent.

Really it is our game to lose.

Remi Moses
14-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Off to a good start would be rather handy i'd imagine. Put up a stat last night that we've averaged a24 pt defecit after 20 min on average this season! Need to improve that

Mofra
14-07-2009, 02:49 PM
They'll beat us for leg speed if we allow players to be forward of the ball as we did last week & vs North Melbourne.

I think we'll beat them out of the centre (and smash them in the ruck) & I'd expect our forward set-up to be much tighter this week.

Go_Dogs
14-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Essendon aren't a bad side. With Welsh back playing as a tagger they are better equipt to shut down opposition midfields, which is helping them a lot.

I noticed on the weekend just gone that the Bombers had something like 20+ marks inside F50 - very impressive stat. We need to be aware of this, and not allow them to set up easier shots and find space to take uncontested marks in the F50.

I think it should be a good game - but hopefully we don't wear ourselves out too much, because I'm coming over next week and am expecting a big win over St Kilda ;)

DOG GOD
14-07-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm also flying over for the saints game and wouldnt want to be playing them after losing to essendon, knowing that 2 losses there could mean the end to top 4, with also geel and coll to come.

So yeah, its a HUGE game this week...we need to bounce back and really make an impression to the the other top 4 sides.

Sedat
14-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Because of our loss on Friday night, we now have no margin for error with regard to the rest of the season and claiming a top 4 berth. We simply have to beat all of Essendon, West Coast, Freo and Brisbane - if we do so, I think our superior percentage will ensure we keep our noses in front of both Adelaide and Brisbane. I'm confident that we can win all of those matches if we approach the contest with the right collective mindset. We are not without claims in any of the other matches against St Kilda, Geelong or Collingwood, but I would not be wanting to rely on these results to get us into the top 4.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-07-2009, 04:53 PM
I noticed on the weekend just gone that the Bombers had something like 20+ marks inside F50 - very impressive stat. We need to be aware of this, and not allow them to set up easier shots and find space to take uncontested marks in the F50.

That's actually a very good point raised.

I'm not sure on the stats for the season, but Essendon have certainly improved in this area. They are prepared to share the ball around a little more than they used to. Whilst their game plan is still primarily based on running and carrying (ala Dogs of 05/06) I think they've been able to add a few other strings to their bow.

Realistically we should win comfortably, but in recent times we haven't shaken them off easily. We'll need to play better than we have against them over the last year or two, as they've troubled us with their run every time. Fortunately for us, they had a few injuries in the early game last season and we had a little more 'experience' in getting the win. They've improved though, so we'll need to be mindful of their strength.

It'll be interesting to see if we close them down in the middle of the ground. Last week against Collingwood, it didn't work too well, as they play the wings and then bring it in board. Essendon, however, are always looking to run it through the middle of the ground. If we apply enough pressure, we should be able to punish them on the turnovers.

LostDoggy
14-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Pretty much every game from now is a danger game. If we drop 1 we should'nt we may not make top 4.

The Pie Man
14-07-2009, 06:54 PM
If we turn the ball over and let the likes of Lovett (who is easy the most improved footballer in the leage this year for mine) to run and carry, like last week, we'll struggle. I'm confident the spray they wiped off at half time last Friday will still be in their ears and the extra day's break should also help.

Not to be taken lightly by any stretch, we would be a big get for them.

Speaking of Lovett, he's really important IMO - have we had a player profile yet this week?

LostDoggy
14-07-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't really rate Essendon ( I suspect this is more so because I want to believe forever that they will be crap), but I am worried, yes.

But I worry every week. Definately need this win.

GVGjr
14-07-2009, 08:11 PM
They are a different challenge to what a lot of other teams present to us. I expect us to win but we won't be able to beat them with just one quarter of football.

LostDoggy
14-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Heard today on the radio that Rocket wouldn't be suprised if it turns into a shoot out! Lets hope we can shoot straighter;)

shortydaniels
14-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Rocket is saying it will be a shootout, that makes me suspect otherwise. The teams that have beaten Essendon this year have closed them down rather than try to go hammer and tongs with them. Dogs should look closely at Bombers' losses to Brisbane, North Melbourne and Collingwood the other week.

LostDoggy
14-07-2009, 10:02 PM
We really need to get off to a good start against this mob. We cant rely on our fitness to run over them like we have done to a few sides this year. I must admit i am a little worried about this game, when Essendon come to play they are a very good side.

boydogs
14-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I would have expected Sydney to be the type of side to dominate them, as their games always contain plenty of stoppages where their inside players can win the ball and dictate play. Some interesting comments from the match report below - finding space on such a small ground and being able to switch gears shows they are developing their game plan well

http://www.afl.com.au/Results/tabid/11433/default.aspx?display=1&seasonid=71&roundid=719&fixtureid=5146

But Essendon was finding space across the SCG and exploiting it to rack up the inside 50s

In the final quarter, Essendon was content to play cautiously, slowing the game down and blocking up the defensive corridors.

I would be suprised if we did not dominate the ruck and clearances, however we will need our forwards and mids to do more than last week to prevent rebound goals

LostDoggy
14-07-2009, 11:04 PM
This competition is so even this year that any team on their day, can beat another. In saying that, we will need to be on our game from the first bounce if we are going to get the bickies! Essendon are a fast running side, and we can't let them get away and then play catch up footy. A good win will give us confidence to beat the Saints the following week :p

LostDoggy
14-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Tough match.
Essendon have been fairly inconsistant this season.
So hopefully the fumbly essendon side come and play :)

Bulldog Joe
14-07-2009, 11:26 PM
I see huge dangers in this game. Through 2008 and this year we have struggled with sides utilising quick ball carriers. Richmond played like that in the drawn game last year and Essendon led at 3/4 time in our vfirst meeting of the year.

We need to dominate the clearances and we should. I do believe we need to tag Watson as he is their main clearance player and if we are right on him should be able to cause turnovers. I like the idea of playing Griffen on him as he has the size and could run off him to really open things up. I also had a thought that Ward could handle a role like that as he also has good size and I like his attack on the ball as well as his tackling pressure.

Stanton is one of the players they look to use a lot and I would see him as being the player for Picken.
We also need to close down Lovett and Davey.

Murph back to his lead up forward role should be very dangerous and I don't believe they have a player who can go with him.

Hudson and Minson need to wear Ryder down and he needs to be tackled by someone EVERY time he gets the ball.

I am certain if we play to our strengths and execute our skills, we will get the points.

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 10:13 AM
It seems more often than not we tend to start slow and like to have have something to chase, we then use our fitness to run over the top of sides. If we give Essendon a head start I fear that it could easily turn into another onslaught of goals, which we cannot afford to do.

This is a bad habit to get into and one that will not hold us in good stead for the finals. We do not want this sort of habit against Geelong or St Kilda come finals time so this week is a chance to rectify our mistakes from last week.

We need to use our bigger bodies early and really muscle Essendon out of the contest. I am confident if we are thereabouts after the first quarter we will account for them and grind them out as the game progresses.

As Mantis has said, this game is definately ours to lose, we are a far better side than Essendon so anything other than a win would be extremely disappointing.

dog town
15-07-2009, 08:57 PM
I certainly think they are well on the way to becoming a top 4 side. Knights has been perfect for them imo. They have improved again this season and although they have plenty to work on I think they are really buying into what the coach wants from them.

Jobe Watson is unbelievably underrated. I love watching this bloke play footy now. The absolute heart beat of that side and someone we need to limit where possible.

NoName
15-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Even after our loss to Collingwood last week, I think we will bounce back. We have played some decent footy against Essendon over the past few years.

I really want to stick it up their cocky supporters - after going to both primary and secondary school in Essendon, I can't stand them.