PDA

View Full Version : Strange Lloyd rumour

Dry Rot
17-08-2009, 01:12 PM
I read a very strange rumour on a Bomber's Board that Lloyd is wrangling over a new contract with the Bombers and he could come over to us to finish his career.

Sounds like bollocks to me and at best maybe his manager is spreading this. But if there is anything to it, would we want to do this rather than Hall? Lloyd seems to be on his last legs but may be seeking a 2 year deal.

Thoughts?

Templeton31
17-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I'd go with the "its bollocks" theory on that one.

G-Mo77
17-08-2009, 01:20 PM
In no way shape or form do I want Lloyd wearing a Bulldogs jumper.

Hall is a much better fit and will be a hell of a lot cheaper.

bornadog
17-08-2009, 01:22 PM

I have heard the rumour, but pretty sure the club prefers Hall as do I . Can't stand sooky Lloyd.

Dry Rot
17-08-2009, 01:28 PM

I have heard the rumour, but pretty sure the club prefers Hall as do I . Can't stand sooky Lloyd.

I am no fan of Lloyd, but is that clear cut?

On the one hand you have Hall, who has spent half a season out of footy and would spend at least a third of the season suspended. On the other hand, an injury prone Lloyd who is unlikely to be fit for every game but who might prosper getting good delivery from us at FF.

mighty_west
17-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Total bollocks, Lloyd wants to & will be a one club player.

chef
17-08-2009, 01:34 PM
I would take him if we could get him cheap(and if Hall retires). He was a very good key forward when he's was in very good side(which we are) and could give us 2-3 good seasons from full forward. We don't need someone to come and kick all of our goals, just someone who can compete and contribute to the team.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 01:39 PM

Hall at 34 years of age, already retired, with a history of suspensions and with more baggage than Qantas is a much better fit?

WOW!

G-Mo77
17-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Hall at 34 years of age, already retired, with a history of suspensions and with more baggage than Qantas is a much better fit?

WOW!

:rolleyes:

Yeah it is.

It will cost us virtually nothing to get him. What will we have to give up to get someone like Lloyd? Besides that Lloyd's a KPF but more of a leading forward a bigger and stronger forward like Hall will fit in a hell of a lot better. Yes there is baggage but it's worth the risk.

bornadog
17-08-2009, 01:57 PM

WOW!

Actually is 32 but will be 33 in February.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 02:01 PM
:rolleyes:

Yeah it is.

It will cost us virtually nothing to get him. What will we have to give up to get someone like Lloyd? Besides that Lloyd's a KPF but more of a leading forward a bigger and stronger forward like Hall will fit in a hell of a lot better. Yes there is baggage but it's worth the risk.

I don't see the difference in the two. Hall is a lead up player in the same way as LLoyd. There is this furfy about Hall being the big grab player - he aint.

And in terms of getting him for nothing, don't be surprised to see Hall figure in the negotiations for Lake - and then he costs plenty

Twodogs
17-08-2009, 02:10 PM
I don't see the difference in the two. Hall is a lead up player in the same way as LLoyd. There is this furfy about Hall being the big grab player - he aint.

And in terms of getting him for nothing, don't be surprised to see Hall figure in the negotiations for Lake - and then he costs plenty

If Hall is included in any deal for Lake then Hall wont be a deal breaker. If either deal is done they will be done independently of one another and will only be heaped together if it's convenient. What I'm trying to say is the Hall deal wont fall over because the Swan's think we are being silly over Lake or vice versa.

For me the big difference is Hall has a point to prove, Lloyd's made his already.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't want to give the Swans any ammunition to deal over Lake. If we want Hall, they will include that in the negotiations and would be foolish and unprofessional not to do so.

Twodogs
17-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I don't want to give the Swans any ammunition to deal over Lake. If we want Hall, they will include that in the negotiations and would be foolish and unprofessional not to do so.

They want/need Lake more than we want/need Hall. We have the upper hand in negotiations, it's not like Lake can walk to the PSD-8 other clubs would take him before Sydney.

Dry Rot
17-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Hall at CHF and Lloyd at FF might be an interesting combo. :D

My big problem with Hall is in his head - if the Swans couldn't control him, why should we be able to?

aker39
17-08-2009, 02:22 PM

We would need quite a few paper bags or evironmental ambassadors

Twodogs
17-08-2009, 02:24 PM

My big problem with Hall is in his head - if the Swans couldn't control him, why should we be able to?

Maybe his girl problems would remain behind in Sydney?

We've also got Paul Williams on the coaching staff, he and Hall are pretty good mates and have a fair bit of respect for one another. From what I hear a big problem for Hall in Sydney was that he didnt have a lot of mates left at the club. That sort of thing can be important.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah, let's take him. And every other almost-retired, seen-better-days power forward. Let's build a retirement village. Let's make sure that every player who isn't feeling wuvved at the end of their careers gets linked with the Bulldogs in a "shock" move. Barry Hall, Matthew Lloyd, how about Russell Robertson? I hear he's looking for a cash-cow end of year move. Better yet, let's dig-up and reanimate Dick Reynolds.

Whatever happened to nurturing our own talent? Why do we keep looking elsewhere for these band-aid/short-term solutions? Christ on a bike. Rumour or not, I'm sick of it.

Mofra
17-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Whatever happened to nurturing our own talent? Why do we keep looking elsewhere for these band-aid/short-term solutions? Christ on a bike. Rumour or not, I'm sick of it.
Grant, Cordy, Roughead, Boumann, Jones.

We have the young talent to nuture - none of them will be ready next year. We need someone for 1-2 years to fill that gap. Hall would be perfect for this.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Oh yeah, he'll be perfect.

Out of football for 6-8 months, the capacity to go postal at any given point, a self-confessed ticking time-bomb, puuuuurffect.

Twodogs
17-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Grant, Cordy, Roughead, Boumann, Jones.

We have the young talent to nuture - none of them will be ready next year. We need someone for 1-2 years to fill that gap. Hall would be perfect for this.

It's difficult to remember a more obvious solution to a problem staring us in the face.

chef
17-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Out of football for 6-8 months, the capacity to go postal at any given point, a self-confessed ticking time-bomb, puuuuurffect.

What/who would be your suggestion then?

Mofra
17-08-2009, 02:33 PM

He's the best available, Captain Positive.

Twodogs
17-08-2009, 02:34 PM

Of course we could always play it safe and never take a risk or a chance.

That's a sure way to prosper.

Mofra
17-08-2009, 02:34 PM
It's difficult to remember a more obvious solution to a problem staring us in the face.
Tries.Hard.Not. To. Mention Ashley....

Dammit! :p

Twodogs
17-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Tries.Hard.Not. To. Mention Ashley....

Dammit! :p

Ashley isnt standing at the front door and asking mum if we can come out and play though. Barry virtually is.

Sedat
17-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Barry Hall, Matthew Lloyd, how about Russell Robertson?
Couldn't agree more in relation to Robertson - he might be the youngest of the 3 players you mentioned but he does not fill any of the criteria we need in a key forward. Defensively inept, a cameo player at the best of times and injury prone later in his career - he's not even a key forward. The fact that he's about to get arseholed by the worst team in the competition says it all really. Avoid like the plague.

Lloyd is Essendon royalty and won't be going anywhere - he's just having a lover's tiff with Harry Highpants.

Disagree with your thoughts on Hall - his defensive workrate up forwad is exactly what we are missing at the moment, and for the very small cost outlay to secure his services, he is a risk well worth taking that can address a current structural weakness in our team until our developing key forwards are ready to make an impact from 2011 onwards.

ledge
17-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Whether its Hall or whoever, we do need a experienced strong marking forward over the next 2 years until these kids come on and can also teach them some tricks of the trade.
Hall , Robertson, Lloyd they are all a gamble.
You can only choose from whats on the market.
Pavlich would be my dream but thats just a dream.
Can anyone think of any others that just might be gettable?

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Maybe Tomahawk?

chef
17-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Whether its Hall or whoever, we do need a experienced strong marking forward over the next 2 years until these kids come on and can also teach them some tricks of the trade.
Hall , Robertson, Lloyd they are all a gamble.
You can only choose from whats on the market.
Pavlich would be my dream but thats just a dream.

Ash Hansen.

Mantis
17-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Total bollocks, Lloyd wants to & will be a one club player.

I have heard stories to suggest otherwise.

Twodogs
17-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I have heard stories to suggest otherwise.

Uh huh.

Essendon might live to regret appointing a Richmond ranga as senior coach.

G-Mo77
17-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Uh huh.

Essendon might live to regret appointing a Richmond ranga as senior coach.

Did he bleach his hair all those years or are you refering to when Libba turned his hair red?

ledge
17-08-2009, 05:24 PM
The Ranger is doing a lot better than i thought.
Good on him.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2009, 05:28 PM
For those who have actually heard the rumour from even a semi-reliable source and actually genuinely believe it... Where does the WBFC club fit in. Sure he might be annoyed about being played out of position and not getting 2 years. But the issue I have is where the WBFC get nominated as the club of choice.

ledge
17-08-2009, 05:48 PM
They get nominated by the press and whoever because we are in need of a good marking forward of his type, age, injury or mentallity doesnt come into it where a good rumour is concerned.

anfo27
17-08-2009, 06:09 PM
What if and a big IF at that we win the flag this year, do we still go after these older players? do we need to go after these older players?

G-Mo77
17-08-2009, 06:20 PM
What if and a big IF at that we win the flag this year, do we still go after these older players? do we need to go after these older players?

I don't think it would hurt really.

Hawthorn won the flag and chased ROK furiously. Lists are going to get better and worse from year to year. If we win a flag I really hope the club will do anything possible to make the list even better than the last. We may not be as desperate for a player like Hall but still would probably chase him.

anfo27
17-08-2009, 06:45 PM
I don't think it would hurt really.

Hawthorn won the flag and chased ROK furiously. Lists are going to get better and worse from year to year. If we win a flag I really hope the club will do anything possible to make the list even better than the last. We may not be as desperate for a player like Hall but still would probably chase him.

Do you think we would be more inclined to trade a premiership player away to get a better KPP, like a Pavlich.

By the way i love your pic G-Mo77, am a big fan of Dwight.

G-Mo77
17-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Do you think we would be more inclined to trade a premiership player away to get a better KPP, like a Pavlich.

By the way i love your pic G-Mo77, am a big fan of Dwight.

Pavlich would be huge so they'd be crazy not to look at it.

Can't wait until Season 6 starts of The Office! ;)

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 07:33 PM

Same here.

Onto Lloyd..even though I find it hard to believe its possible..and also think hes a 1 club player. If it is a true rumor thanks for the news though..appreciated.

Has played 17/20 games this year, kicked 35.25..2 Year deal..depending on what we would have to give up..I wouldn't say no!

AndrewP6
17-08-2009, 07:37 PM
No for mine..

anfo27
17-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Pavlich would be huge so they'd be crazy not to look at it.

Cant understand why they dont give this show a fair crack at prime time, they would have a hit on their hands.

ratsmac
17-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Does he come with that dopey look on his face????

Twodogs
17-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Does he come with that dopey look on his face????

He's a great character. Dopey, intense and a terrific user of language.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 09:16 PM
For those of you calling Lloyd dopey, you might like to know that he (along with Sheeds) bought a membership to the doggies every year. He is meant to be one of the nicest decent guys around. I can't honestly see him leaving the Bombers, because he knows how much he means to their fans. But if he was going to leave, I would take him in a heart beat.

Robertson is too much like what we have already, Hall I would take if we can guarantee to keep him under control.

We can't afford to wait for Grant, Ace and Co to become big powered forwards as our midfield and defence will be too old by then.

comrade
17-08-2009, 09:41 PM
We can't afford to wait for Grant, Ace and Co to become big powered forwards as our midfield and defence will be too old by then.

How old are Cooney, Griffen, Higgins and Ward?

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 10:01 PM
How old are Cooney, Griffen, Higgins and Ward?

OK maybe not the midfield so much but how about the defence Morris, Lake, Hargrave and Gilbee?

comrade
17-08-2009, 10:37 PM
OK maybe not the midfield so much but how about the defence Morris, Lake, Hargrave and Gilbee?

All nearing 30 and beyond. Let's hope guys like Williams, Tiller, Everitt and Boumann can step up in the next few years.

BulldogBelle
17-08-2009, 11:08 PM
For those of you calling Lloyd dopey, you might like to know that he (along with Sheeds) bought a membership to the doggies every year. He is meant to be one of the nicest decent guys around. I can't honestly see him leaving the Bombers, because he knows how much he means to their fans. But if he was going to leave, I would take him in a heart beat.

Robertson is too much like what we have already, Hall I would take if we can guarantee to keep him under control.

That was nice of Lloyd and Sheedy to buy a Doggies membership

Was Lloyd a Dogs supporter as a child...he is from Keilor isnt he?

I think Hall would add much more agression (dont know if its the right type), strength, leadership and presence than Lloyd...more goals as well

AndrewP6
17-08-2009, 11:13 PM
For those of you calling Lloyd dopey, you might like to know that he (along with Sheeds) bought a membership to the doggies every year.

Generous? Check. Morally upstanding? Check. Generally-good-bloke? Check.

Still dopey, though.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Generous? Check. Morally upstanding? Check. Generally-good-bloke? Check.

Still dopey, though.

Good - don't think do!

Sockeye Salmon
18-08-2009, 08:37 AM
That was nice of Lloyd and Sheedy to buy a Doggies membership

Was Lloyd a Dogs supporter as a child...he is from Keilor isnt he?

Unlikely, his dad played for Carlton.

bornadog
18-08-2009, 09:58 AM
If we can't have Hall, then I bet we would all take Lloyd if he was available.

Mantis
18-08-2009, 10:09 AM
If we can't have Hall, then I bet we would all take Lloyd if he was available.

I don't think that would be a very smart move. He isn't the same player he was 5 years ago and not the sort of the player we need in our structure.

bornadog
18-08-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't think that would be a very smart move. He isn't the same player he was 5 years ago and not the sort of the player we need in our structure.

Can say the same about Hall. His return in the past three years has been well below par, not even kicking 50 goals in any year. At least Lloyd has kicked 62 last year and in 2007. 2006 he only played three games and before that kicked almost 100.

Mantis
18-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Can say the same about Hall. His return in the past three years has been well below par, not even kicking 50 goals in any year. At least Lloyd has kicked 62 last year and in 2007. 2006 he only played three games and before that kicked almost 100.

For me it isn't all about goals. I think Hall offers a fair bit of defensive pressure and a physical presence.

strebla
18-08-2009, 12:00 PM
I am with mantis on this one I don't believe Lloyd offers enough of what we need and big bad Bazza would have the younger players walking taller

LostDoggy
18-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Lloyd to the Bulldogs?!!!

Ewwww.... please tell me I’m stuck in an episode of the Sliders, and this is some kind of parallel universe where the Bulldogs take players past their use-by-dates... or maybe I’ve travelled back to the ‘70s?!!

:eek:

mighty_west
18-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Lloyd to the Bulldogs?!!!

Ewwww.... please tell me I’m stuck in an episode of the Sliders, and this is some kind of parallel universe where the Bulldogs take players past their use-by-dates... or maybe I’ve travelled back to the ‘70s?!!

:eek:

So no to Barry Hall then?

LostDoggy
18-08-2009, 03:07 PM
So no to Barry Hall then?

Can I retract my previous comment? :p :rolleyes:

bornadog
18-08-2009, 04:59 PM
For me it isn't all about goals. I think Hall offers a fair bit of defensive pressure and a physical presence.

We get that with Minno, but no goals. We want goals:D

AndrewP6
18-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Good - don't think do!

??? Not sure what you mean.

hujsh
18-08-2009, 05:57 PM
??? Not sure what you mean.

Haven't you heard that quote before?

Don't think, do.

R2RzO-DY72Q

AndrewP6
18-08-2009, 06:00 PM

Don't think, do.

R2RzO-DY72Q

Ah, I get it now. The comma wasn't there in the first post. And I was tired. Or something!... yes, I do know it.

Twodogs
18-08-2009, 07:09 PM

Don't think, do.

R2RzO-DY72Q
^^^^^^^
That whole 'dont think, do' thing is one of my favorite things in AFL footy-there's something about the rawness of the appeal that harks me back to the old days, but I heard John Kennedy say once that he's a little embarrassed about it now. He says that it's pretty much the opposite of what a coach should be telling his team.

anfo27
18-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Lloyd would never ever leave Windy Hill and he is too old.

Barry Hall is a no, the guy is a thug. Anyone who flattens Chris Grant behind the play isn't the type of person i want at the Bulldogs. The only scenario i can see him helping our club is if we made a GF & as the opposition ran through the banner they were met by big bad bazza and he took out half a dozen of them.

LostDoggy
19-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Lloyd would never ever leave Windy Hill and he is too old.

Barry Hall is a no, the guy is a thug. Anyone who flattens Chris Grant behind the play isn't the type of person i want at the Bulldogs. The only scenario i can see him helping our club is if we made a GF & as the opposition ran through the banner they were met by big bad bazza and he took out half a dozen of them.

This idea is not without merit