PDA

View Full Version : Greg Denham the Doomsayer!

Cyberdoggie
20-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Was listening to KB on SEN this morning and Greg Denham was on his soapbox about how the Bulldogs are in strife.

He kept going on and on saying, "They are in trouble", "You've got to worry" and other doomsaying quotes.

His only points for the argument were:
* The Bulldogs are going to lose Brian lake and therefore we are going in be in trouble.
* The Bulldogs can't afford to keep Aker
* We have the worst membership in the AFL
* Our supporters are all blue collar supporters from the west and we can't attract new supporters
* We can't even afford to pay the extra expenses fee for the players.

Hello Ad Nauseum!

Sure we need money, we always have, and the club has some interesting decisions to make about the list at the end of the year. It may need to be a balancing act and we might have to delist some of the older players (Welsh, Eagleton :) or even Aker).

Lake obviously wants more money and the club will do everything it can to offer him a good deal i'm sure. But at the end of the day if he wants to leave for $100,000 or so more a season that Sydney are offering him then I say he is filth and deserves everthing that Nathan Brown and Terry Wallet have got from leaving the club.
If he is prepared to let his mates down and play for a team that won't play finals just for a little bit of extra cash, and to be despised by the red white and blue army then good luck to him.

If this does happen then i hardly see this as the end for the club as Greg Denham was proposing on the radio this morning. He was going on and on about how we will be in trouble and we can't keep rattling tins every time. Sure our membership figures aren't great this year but we are not the worst in the AFL as Greg has suggested.

MEMBERSHIP FIGURES

ADELAIDE 46,472
BRISBANE 24,873
CARLTON 42,408
COLLINGWOOD 45,972
ESSENDON 40,412
FREMANTLE 39,206
GEELONG 37,160
HAWTHORN 52,496
NORTH MELBOURNE 28,340
MELBOURNE 31,506
PORT ADELAIDE 30,605
RICHMOND 36,981
ST KILDA 31,906
SYDNEY 26,269
WEST COAST 43,927
WESTERN BULLDOGS 28,215

TOTAL: 586,748

To me it looks like both Sydney and Brisbane are worse than us Greg.

We all know that the clubs add their figures differently as well.

Is the club in such dire circumstances as Greg Denham predicts?
or do you think he is just trying to stir people up to create a story?

Sedat
20-08-2009, 11:37 AM
1989 was trouble, 1996 was trouble, even 2003/4 was mild trouble. None of these moments in time killed off our great club. If he thinks 2009 is trouble, he has a shorter memory than a shark. Message to Denham: give me 2009 'troubles' for the rest of my Bulldog supporting life :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah! Typical media beat up/frenzy - gee if it wasn't our club, just who would they aim this at?? I'm so sick of this type of stuff - it just seems that people won't give this club the respect it deserves! And what a generalisation - all blue collar workers, etc! I'm sure we have a great mix of people who are members - white collar, blue collar, green collar, pink collar, etc., etc. It just makes me cross :mad:

bulldogtragic
20-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Maybe be can mix and match some news stories to get some interest. How about Butch vs. Denham's nutsack?

Really, this guy is a tool of the highest order. He obviously looks up to Caro and Hutchy as journo mentors. Not a story here, not even close. I agree with Sedat, if this is 'bad', then good.

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 01:24 PM
It'll keep on going till we win a premiership..
Which is hopefully sooner rather than later.

Twodogs
20-08-2009, 01:31 PM
I use a different word than 'doomsayer' for Greg Denham.

He gets more stuff wrong than Caro has been this year.

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah! Typical media beat up/frenzy - gee if it wasn't our club, just who would they aim this at?? I'm so sick of this type of stuff - it just seems that people won't give this club the respect it deserves! And what a generalisation - all blue collar workers, etc! I'm sure we have a great mix of people who are members - white collar, blue collar, green collar, pink collar, etc., etc. It just makes me cross :mad:

Yeah, what about us blue collars out in the EASTERN suburbs?! ;)

Seriously, then media is getting worse & worse. It seems they can't get enough real news to report so start speculating & making things up. :mad:

Throughandthrough
20-08-2009, 01:38 PM
To be 100% honest, i have never heard of Greg Denham.

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 01:46 PM
I have never heard Denham say something positive about the dogs. Sounds like Malcom Blight talks like Grant Thomas!

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Actually, I'm glad Denham's said we're in this much trouble; with his dismal track record with predictions, we'll probably end up winning the next 5 premierships.

gohardorgohome
20-08-2009, 02:13 PM
SEN should try someone else then Denham. He makes Patrick Smith sound like the best journo in the business. A flog of the highest order.

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 02:25 PM
To be 100% honest, i have never heard of Greg Denham.

I'm with Throughandthrough.

WhoTF is Greg Denham?

Full of Blue Collar workers in the Western Suburbs? Fair dinkum, how simplistic, sweeping and inane is that comment?

Next time he's on, how about a few Woofers calling in to the station?

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm with Throughandthrough.

WhoTF is Greg Denham?

Full of Blue Collar workers in the Western Suburbs? Fair dinkum, how simplistic, sweeping and inane is that comment?

Next time he's on, how about a few Woofers calling in to the station?

Won't happen. I turn off the radio when the d***heads come on.

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Just sent off an email to SEN 1116 with a couple of comments on my demographics as an example. Would encourage others to do the same - google Sen 1116 and follow the prompts to feedback to management.

ledge
20-08-2009, 07:27 PM
And whats wrong with blue collar workers?
Maybe Greg should spend a day working as one, might learn that they are the same as any other worker.
As well as what job you do he probably rates on colour of skin too. DICKHEAD!

azabob
20-08-2009, 07:54 PM
The club has made great inroads and development, such as the ELC, and the partnership with Vic Uni.

But it is the old age problem is we cant attract 30,000 members which seems to be the magic number no matter how well we are going. Granted his comment about the generalisation of our supporter base is wrong, but we do spend a lot of our time promoting the game in the West and at low economic families who most likely won't have the money to commit to a membership for at least a generation or two.

It is the whole catch 22 situation our base is in the West so we do a lot of our promoting etc in the West but we may not see the return in $ value but we may see it in other ways, but the AFL look at the bottom line these days.

If we were all realistic he is right with some points and wrong with others.

angelopetraglia
20-08-2009, 08:35 PM
The strongest clubs in the world have the working class as their major supporter group. Can not understand how that can be a weakness. For example;

Manchester United
Liverpool
Juventus (Torino is the rich persons club in the same town. Who?)
Boca Juniors (River Plate are more upper class)
Collingwood
Port Adelaide
Green Bay Packers

Working Class roots does not make you unsuccessful. Actually the reverse is true if you look around the world.

The two most important things are a large supporter base (or the ability to build one) and passion.

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 08:39 PM
* Our supporters are all blue collar supporters from the west and we can't attract new supporters

I don't understand this part from him.

We have something like 6,000 unsigned from last year yeah?

That would mean new supporters have jumped on to fill the void, it's not new supporters which are the worry, more the older ones not signing again.

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Didn't most English Premier League teams in Soccer form from the Industrial Revolution who were all poor workers and stuff?

The Doctor
20-08-2009, 08:49 PM
C'mon guys, who gives a toss what Greg Denham says. He may be capable of breaking a news story or give some insight into a developing story but who takes note of his opinion.

No-one.

For quite some time I've had the opinion he wants to be seen as someone who's opinion should be respected. Yet so often he gets exposed for lack of research which is a cardinal sin for a journalist of any kind. Many may not like Patrick Smith's opinion but I will vouch that his view is well researched and this makes his argument well defended whether you agree with it of not.

Put it short, Denham's opinion stinks.

Remi Moses
20-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Can someone explain to Greg Why we have some heavy hitters looking to raise cash for the club it's ''Tin Ratlling'' yet when the Blue cheats and the Dees do the same thing no mention of ''Tin Rattling''. He is poorly researched on his knowledge of the West and blatantly got the membership numbers wrong

Remi Moses
20-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Actually, I'm glad Denham's said we're in this much trouble; with his dismal track record with predictions, we'll probably end up winning the next 5 premierships.

True and what of his pumping up of North's membership numbers! Memo Greg there just might be some sympathy memberships purchased from opposition fans peanut:eek:

Cyberdoggie
21-08-2009, 03:32 PM
C'mon guys, who gives a toss what Greg Denham says. He may be capable of breaking a news story or give some insight into a developing story but who takes note of his opinion.

No-one.

For quite some time I've had the opinion he wants to be seen as someone who's opinion should be respected. Yet so often he gets exposed for lack of research which is a cardinal sin for a journalist of any kind. Many may not like Patrick Smith's opinion but I will vouch that his view is well researched and this makes his argument well defended whether you agree with it of not.

Put it short, Denham's opinion stinks.

He also barracks for Essendon I believe, or at least Patrick Smith does.

That explains enough for me.

aker39
21-08-2009, 03:55 PM
He also barracks for Essendon I believe, or at least Patrick Smith does.

That explains enough for me.

Patrick barracks for the Bombers.

Denham barracks for the Eagles.

hujsh
21-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Manchester United
Liverpool
Juventus (Torino is the rich persons club in the same town. Who?)
Boca Juniors (River Plate are more upper class)
Collingwood
Port Adelaide
Green Bay Packers

All great examples except one.