PDA

View Full Version : We usually win the clearances, but tonight?

Dry Rot
21-08-2009, 11:21 PM
WTF? We got murdered.

Scraggers
21-08-2009, 11:28 PM
And still got up :)

lemmon
21-08-2009, 11:36 PM
No Crossy and Griff really hurt us in there, Ryan wins a deceptive amount of hard ball and clearances.

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 11:57 PM
No Crossy and Griff really hurt us in there, Ryan wins a deceptive amount of hard ball and clearances.

Sums it all up in one sentence!
Hopefully they come back in time for our Qualifying final! =]

The Coon Dog
22-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Sums it all up in one sentence!
Hopefully they come back in time for our Qualifying final! =]

Rocket said they got some good news today with both training well. Rates them both about 90% to play next week.

bornadog
22-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Have a look at their Stats for disposals and they still got beaten

Gary Ablett - 40
Joel Corey -39
Joel Selwood - 33
Cameron Ling - 31
James Bartel - 31
Corey Enright - 28

The Coon Dog
22-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Have a look at their Stats for disposals and they still got beaten

Gary Ablett - 40
Joel Corey -39
Joel Selwood - 33
Cameron Ling - 31
James Bartel - 31
Corey Enright - 28

To me it says that the better players for Geelong are clearly top drawer, but there's a lack of depth at the bottom end.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Talk about negative spin, nice work dry rot... we beat Geelong, gained a top 4 spot but we lost the clearances, we should hang our heads with shame.

Ken'oarsum! We usually smash teams in clearances on Crossy's back and he and Griff trained well today. I feel warm n fuzzy.

Dry Rot
22-08-2009, 01:36 AM
Talk about negative spin, nice work dry rot... we beat Geelong, gained a top 4 spot but we lost the clearances, we should hang our heads with shame.

We got smashed in the clearances tonight, but obviously you're too simple to realise this is of concern and question how and why this happened against a fellow top 4 team.

And what it might mean if/when we meet them again.

AndrewP6
22-08-2009, 01:39 AM
When we were getting done in the clearances, Geelong came back... need to improve this.

boydogs
22-08-2009, 01:51 AM
To me it says that the better players for Geelong are clearly top drawer, but there's a lack of depth at the bottom end.

Perhaps, but they really over possessed the ball trying to handball out of pressure and just turned it over. Those Gary Ablett one-twos are just predictable now. Possession count was 373 to us and 438 to them, more touches to go around

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 01:52 AM
We got smashed in the clearances tonight, but obviously you're too simple to realise this is of concern and question how and why this happened against a fellow top 4 team.

Too simple? You dont know me or what I do for a living you idiot, who do you think you are? We were missing Cross and Griff, we will struggle in the centre. Fool.

Dry Rot
22-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Too simple? You dont know me or what I do for a living you idiot,

No I don't, but I assume whatever it is it doesn't involve your eyes. Or your brain.

? We were missing Cross and Griff, we will struggle in the centre. Fool.

Ah, that explains the dominance of their ruckmen tapping to their guys.

Sockeye Salmon
22-08-2009, 02:03 AM

We lost the clearances because they are a very good side.

As supporters we often feel everything has to be perfect. Today was a wonderful result. We have some things to work on, certainly, and Eade will have the tapes during the week and we will look for reasons.

It is an area that we can improve on even further.

Dry Rot
22-08-2009, 02:13 AM
We lost the clearances because they are a very good side.

As supporters we often feel everything has to be perfect. Today was a wonderful result. We have some things to work on, certainly, and Eade will have the tapes during the week and we will look for reasons.

It is an area that we can improve on even further.

My concern is that this really an area we have improved in this season (eg doing well vs the Saints) but tonight against a team we will most likely meet in the finals we got smashed.

Maybe a one-off and we still won, but still an area for concern IMO.

FWIW it was a great win, and after many beers I'm now still celebrating with a Seppelts rare Rutherglen muscat (or two).

Scorlibo
22-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Losing Cross and Griffen quite suddenly has a lot to do with that. Not only what they give individually, but how they communicate and work with the rest of the midfield group. Add to that that we played the best midfield in the comp!:p

bulldogsman
22-08-2009, 02:48 AM
My concern is that this really an area we have improved in this was season (eg doing well vs the Saints) but tonight against a team we will most likely meet in the finals we got smashed.

Maybe a one-off and we still won, but still an area for concern IMO.

FWIW it was a great win, and after many beers I'm now still celebrating with a Seppelts rare Rutherglen muscat (or two).

It doesn't really help when we have to play two young guns in Ward and Reid there. I think Cross is 2nd in contested ball and Griffen could be in our top 4. It makes a big difference.

I thought Minson was ordinary in there tonight though.

immortalmike
22-08-2009, 02:57 AM
WTF? We got murdered.

And we killed them earlier in the year with Cross and Griff.

Dry Rot
22-08-2009, 02:58 AM
It doesn't really help when we have to play two young guns in Ward and Reid there. I think Cross is 2nd in contested ball and Griffen could be in our top 4. It makes a big difference.

I thought Minson was ordinary in there tonight though.

Agreed - how many taps went straight down the throat of a Cat?

Sedat
22-08-2009, 03:01 AM
WTF? We got murdered.
Sometimes just the way it goes on the night DR. We smashed Geelong in the clearances earlier this season and lost. With a couple of our best clearance winners out of the side, not a massive cause for alarm.

Blake is a spud but I thought his ruck work, especially in the 3rd qtr, was very good - hit Ling 2-3 times in a row with beautiful deft taps.

Go_Dogs
22-08-2009, 03:02 AM

I'm not sure that that is what it shows, although I tend to agree. What it says to me is our ball use was much better, and Geelong, as usual, tended to play a high possession game and perhaps over work the ball a little. (On a night like tonight, I'm content to disagree :D )

Whilst we did not win the clearances, I generally thought that when we did, we got a better resulting clearance than Geelong did - although on occassion they got a cheap goal out of the centre. We did well stifling their spread from the clearance generally, and our numbers around the ball prevented (more often than not) from the easy, clean clearance.

Cooney and Boyd often demonstrated their ability, and the kids, Ward and Reid, were sensational in tight with the hands, and their defensive pressure.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Agreed - how many taps went straight down the throat of a Cat?

I saw Minson giving a massive spray to Boyd during the game. Either Minson doesn't know what he's talking about, or there is a lack of communication when Griff and Crossy are missing in action, and Boyd does'nt know how to fill the void when they are missing.

Bulldog Revolution
22-08-2009, 10:32 AM
I saw Minson giving a massive spray to Boyd during the game. Either Minson doesn't know what he's talking about, or there is a lack of communication when Griff and Crossy are missing in action, and Boyd does'nt know how to fill the void when they are missing.

Whilst not knowing what it was about Boyd had just had a two possession third quarter, and was dealing with the tag from Cameron Ling

Minson spoke to him but also gave him a gee up and a few pats on the back etc. I thought it looked very positive, and Boyd responded by having a better last quarter

DR - you are right and clearly there is a bit of work to do on the centre square stuff for next time. Geelong have been a powerhouse because they have been so good at it, and they still are. The positive was that we didn't allow them that many clean breaks and were able to hold them up around the stoppages well.

We need to continue to improve but with Ward, Picken, Reid etc learning the craft, and Gia back, plys Cross and Griffen the depth of talent in there is certainly getting better

What did you think of the tackling effort?

GVGjr
22-08-2009, 10:38 AM

On top of a solid tackling count, the amount of times the players provided some good blocking for the ball carrier was really impressive. Ward and Gia did some good work in that area.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 11:06 AM
On top of a solid tackling count, the amount of times the players provided some good blocking for the ball carrier was really impressive. Ward and Gia did some good work in that area.

Was wrapped in that side of the game. Backline was fabulous last night under the pump with there mids winning the clearances but the boys stood strong. Slaps to Harbrow was really important.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 11:22 AM
No I don't, but I assume whatever it is it doesn't involve your eyes. Or your brain.

Ah, that explains the dominance of their ruckmen tapping to their guys.

It certainly shows a level of intelligence when faced with an opinion differing to your own you immediately gravitate toward the need for unfounded insults.

Apparently there are more bespectacled and brainless people on this thread that do not agree with you...

Cross and Griffen are in the upper echelon of mid-fielders in the league, they make a massive difference.

I would suggest that the tap work may be a better indicator of our younger guys not reading the play effectively. Overall, I thought Ward played a great game and Reid continues to impress. Please remember that they were up against Bartel, Abblet, Corey and Ling. Minson had a bad day I thought but on other occasions he has stepped up. I thought Hudson was brilliant, his second efforts made him another mid at times.

Yes they got a lot of clearance but how many of them were under pressure? Most I would think as if not they would have exposed us badly with their superiority overhead.

bold-dogg
22-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Minson showed great leadership last night.

Desipura
22-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Gee Wardy really did some great work in the clearances, especially in the last quarter when we needed it! I just wished he had of converted that goal after taking a courageous mark.

Go_Dogs
22-08-2009, 11:58 AM
We need to continue to improve but with Ward, Picken, Reid etc learning the craft, and Gia back, plys Cross and Griffen the depth of talent in there is certainly getting better

At times in the last qtr when the game was really on, we had Ward, Reid and Cooney starting in the square. High pressure situation and a lot of responsibility for the kids, but I think they did very well.

As you say, with the players we have out etc, our and the players being eased back in - Higgins and Gia last night - we have some qualty depth.

Topdog
22-08-2009, 12:07 PM
It certainly shows a level of intelligence when faced with an opinion differing to your own you immediately gravitate toward the need for unfounded insults.

Your opinion wasn't different though. You basically came out all guns blazing saying that he puts a negative spin on everything and than proceeded to be sarcastic. Did you expect anything other than an insult in return?

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Your opinion wasn't different though. You basically came out all guns blazing saying that he puts a negative spin on everything and than proceeded to be sarcastic. Did you expect anything other than an insult in return?

If you like but it wasnt intended as all guns blazing and I didnt say he puts a negative spin on 'everything', i was very excited after a delayed telecast and I was surprised that we were trying to find issues where we had two guns out.
The rest of my post was...
'We usually smash teams in clearances on Crossy's back and he and Griff trained well today. I feel warm n fuzzy.'
Sounds like a happy person rather than an attacking person...

Just a case of mis-interpretation I guess. The intent of the sarcasm was humourous rather than malicious.

Happy Days
22-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Minson showed great leadership last night.

21 hitouts, none to our advantage.

He was part of the problem.

bornadog
22-08-2009, 03:42 PM

What about the great block that DFA did on Rooke which allowed Ward to take the mark in the last quarter. Too bad he didn't convert.

Topdog
22-08-2009, 04:56 PM

Was he or were our midfielders not getting into the right spot?

Happy Days
22-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Was he or were our midfielders not getting into the right spot?

A bit of both in fairness, but it seemed like Will wasn't putting any thought into what he was doing last night at times.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 05:04 PM
A bit of both in fairness, but it seemed like Will wasn't putting any thought into what he was doing last night at times.

With Will I reckon its more the opposite, he puts too much thought/his own theories in instead of just doing the standard boring mundane.

Bulldog Joe
22-08-2009, 05:44 PM

To me it says that Geelong share the ball A LOT between their recognised stars and possession count is useless in those circumstances.

The stat that counts is always on the scoreboard.

Bulldog Joe
22-08-2009, 05:55 PM

This simply proves how unreliable the stats are.
In the first quarter Will tapped brilliantly to Welsh who proceeded to run into an open goal and hit the post.
How was that not a hitout to advantage ?

Just on stats, I notice Hudson is credited with 54% efficiency and I wonder if his kick to the hotspot for a Lake marking attempt was classed as effective. It was a great kick to position and resulted in a spill which Hahn handballed to Cooney for a goal.

Happy Days
22-08-2009, 05:59 PM
This simply proves how unreliable the stats are.
In the first quarter Will tapped brilliantly to Welsh who proceeded to run into an open goal and hit the post.
How was that not a hitout to advantage ?

Just going off the stat in the paper.

You cannot honestly say that Will beat, or even got close to Blake last night.

Dry Rot
22-08-2009, 08:21 PM

Great stuff, Really enjoyed some of the gang tackling especially.

anfo27
22-08-2009, 09:54 PM
I think it is a concern more so our ruckmen than the midfielders in there. Never been a big fan of our ruckman and find whenevr we come up against a decent tap ruckman or mobile ruckman we get found out. Blake destroyed us in that 3rd term and the catters broke so many of our tackles. Just shows if we dont keep up our intensity for 4 quarters against the best we will be in trouble.

AndrewP6
22-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I think it is a concern more so our ruckmen than the midfielders in there. Never been a big fan of our ruckman and find whenevr we come up against a decent tap ruckman or mobile ruckman we get found out. Blake destroyed us in that 3rd term and the catters broke so many of our tackles. Just shows if we dont keep up our intensity for 4 quarters against the best we will be in trouble.

Why is our tackling a concern for the ruckmen?

anfo27
23-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Why is our tackling a concern for the ruckmen?

It was just a general observation of the 3rd quarter mate. Whats with the question?

AndrewP6
23-08-2009, 12:31 AM
It was just a general observation of the 3rd quarter mate. Whats with the question?

sorry, just thought it was tied to the first bit about the rucks. Can I retract?

anfo27
23-08-2009, 12:33 AM
sorry, just thought it was tied to the first bit about the rucks. Can I retract?

No problems, just thought you were having a dig at me.

alwaysadog
23-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Too many people are getting two different aspects confused IMHO; the clearance count is one thing, and the Cat’s pattern of lots of short handballs in close trying to work the ball to a player in the open is another albeit a connected matter. I would really like to see a stat for how much of their onballer possies were as a result of the Geelong ring-a-rosie.

The stats are right we did get smashed at the clearances, but I also think that they don’t tell the whole picture because the question is not if they cleared the ball but how they did it ie did they get clean ball as a result or was it contested. I recall a game earlier this year when we won the clearances but lost the game because our opponents latched onto our clearances.

From my observations we limited their clean ball through our pressure for all but the majority of the 3rd quarter. While it is far from an ideal situation we were able to nullify their advantage at clearances in a majority of cases.

I don’t in any way want to take away from what was a most significant victory but the truth is that we will be lucky to bottle them up to the same degree on a subsequent occasion if for no other reason than the fact that they will work at doing it better.

Yes Crossie and Griff will make a difference but they have got Ottens awaiting his chance too and Chappie missed more than ½ the game so things cancel each other out. I think DR is right we need to look at this matter most seriously and see what we can learn.

anfo27
23-08-2009, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=alwaysadog;107780]Too many people are getting two different aspects confused IMHO; the clearance count is one thing, and the Cat’s pattern of lots of short handballs in close trying to work the ball to a player in the open is another albeit a connected matter. I would really like to see a stat for how much of their onballer possies were as a result of the Geelong ring-a-rosie.

The stats are right we did get smashed at the clearances, but I also think that they don’t tell the whole picture because the question is not if they cleared the ball but how they did it ie did they get clean ball as a result or was it contested. I recall a game earlier this year when we won the clearances but lost the game because our opponents latched onto our clearances.

From my observations we limited their clean ball through our pressure for all but the majority of the 3rd quarter. While it is far from an ideal situation we were able to nullify their advantage at clearances in a majority of cases.I don’t in any way want to take away from what was a most significant victory but the truth is that we will be lucky to bottle them up to the same degree on a subsequent occasion if for no other reason than the fact that they will work at doing it better.

Yes Crossie and Griff will make a difference but they have got Ottens awaiting his chance too and Chappie missed more than ½ the game so things cancel each other out. I think DR is right we need to look at this matter most seriously and see what we can learn.

Agree with that statement.

There is no doubt that the coaching staff will look over that & we should be better next time. I hope they play Ottens cause i dont think he will have the match conditioning for a final and therefore work in our favour. Chapman looks like he won't play & if he does it will be a huge risk for them. Also the confidence levels of the 2 sides would have changed considerably.