PDA

View Full Version : A fortnight's a long time!

The Coon Dog
22-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Compare the feeling of abject despondency that you felt after the Eagles loss a forthnight ago to the unbridled joy you felt at the end of last nights game.

I don't think I've ever experienced such contrasting emotions.

I'm sure most of us in some way thought that the loss to the eagles would have repercussions, very serious ones in fact!

Potentially tumbling out of the top four, losing in the first week of the finals & being bundled straight out & perhaps having to play interstate were all scenarios that ran through my mind in the gloom that followed after that loss to West Coast.

Now, a fortnight later consecutive wins against Brisbane at the Gabba & Geelong enable us to secure a top 4 finish, build a degree of momentum & supply all of us with fresh hope & anticipation.

Yes, a fortnight is a long time in football!

Go_Dogs
22-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Indeed.

What a great sport. Really looking forward to September now.

DOG GOD
22-08-2009, 10:14 AM
What a difference a few wins can do when all looked doom and gloom. Everyone knows a top 4 finish gives u a really good shot at the major prize. Murph, Missy and Gia should be all the better come rd 1 of finals. A big win against the pies could see us into 3rd and up against the cats 1st week of finals, but either way whether cats or saints, IF we pressure and run like we did especially in the 1st half last night, then we should be a chance.

To come from the eagles game and win our next 2 against quailty opposition, then it shows that the players have belief that they can do it and anything is possible. Build on that belief next week and we could be "SMOKING" come rd 1 of finals. BRING IT ON!!!

Belief and confidence can be wonderful things, and we really presented as a TEAM last night i thought, which was very pleasing to see.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 10:31 AM
I must say when Geelong hit the front in the 3rd, the emotions of a few weeks back was present.

But to talk 'white men can't jump', sometimes when you loose you really win. If we keep momentum going, that would encapsulate the WCE game.

We needed to win 6 games in a row to get the top prize.

2 down when we were given not much chance, 4 to go.

Desipura
22-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Compare the feeling of abject despondency that you felt after the Eagles loss a forthnight ago to the unbridled joy you felt at the end of last nights game.
I'm sure most of us in some way thought that the loss to the eagles would have repercussions, very serious ones in fact!

Agree a fortnight is a long time on football, or is it a week?:D
I still hope the WCE game does not bite us come finals time as we may have to play St Kilda instead of Geelong. On last nights showing, I would prefer to play Geelong given their form and the likes of Chapman under an injury cloud along with Stevie J.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Absolutely.

I have never been more disappointed in a Dogs performance than the one against Eagles a couple of weeks back (I have seen worse performances and been more disappointed of a result).

The last two weeks have been great. Perhaps the Eagles game is the greatest mistake we have ever made.

cambo
22-08-2009, 12:14 PM
There can only be 1 better feeling than last nights great win, the feeling we havent had for 55 years.
Go DOGGIES!!!! WOOF WOOF WOOF

Totally agree with all previuos posts, I was devastated after Eagles loss, was made worse by the fact i live in WA, the last 2 weeks our intensity has been A+

angelopetraglia
22-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Two week ... a quarter is a long time.

5 mins into the third quarter I was thinking premiership. Our defensive pressure was enormous/

3/4 time, I was thinking ... not again!

Great feeling when Higgins took that mark just before the end.

Scorlibo
22-08-2009, 01:07 PM

It was sort of ironic that a shot after the siren is missed to lose us the game last time we played, and then this time we win and Higgo rams one straight through the centre, after the siren.:D

alwaysadog
22-08-2009, 01:21 PM
My take on the last few weeks is that we can be anything from fabulous to abject failure. Who can tell on any one day what is going to happen; the coach can't, the players can't and the supporters can't.

All we have is great inconsistency creating a great uncertainty.

DOG GOD
22-08-2009, 01:31 PM
All we have is great inconsistency creating a great uncertainty.

Which puts fear in the hearts of the rest of the comp. We have an opportunity to maybe pinch a premiership as the 3rd or 4th best team in the comp ATM.

It proves that ANYTHING IS A POSSIBILITY.

BEING THERE is the first step.

BELIEVING WE CAN WIN is the 2nd step.

COMMITTMENT TO THE CHALLENGE is the 3rd step.

TEAMWORK and DISCIPLINE is the ultimate challenge.

boydogs
22-08-2009, 03:17 PM
We needed to win 6 games in a row to get the top prize.
2 down when we were given not much chance, 4 to go.

2 fantastic wins. We could theoretically drop the next 2 games and still win the premiership though

I still hope the WCE game does not bite us come finals time as we may have to play St Kilda instead of Geelong.

Currently Collingwood and us are both on 14 wins and they are 1.2% ahead.
If they beat Sydney and us next week, they will be 3rd regardless of the WCE result.
If they lose to Sydney and lose to us, we will be 3rd regardless of the WCE result.

If they beat Sydney and lose to us, we should just have them on percentage depending on winning margins, remebering that our percentage will go up and theirs will go down. Currently an 8 point (100-92) win to us would put us ahead, if they beat Sydney 100-70 this becomes 100-85. Beating WCE in round 19 would mean we would be 3rd regardless of percentage

If they lose to Sydney and beat us, they will be 3rd. Beating WCE in round 19 would mean percentage would come into the equation

Here's hoping Sydney do us a favour and even if they can't win get as close to them as possible

strebla
22-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Two week ... a quarter is a long time.

5 mins into the third quarter I was thinking premiership. Our defensive pressure was enormous/

3/4 time, I was thinking ... not again!

I remember thinking at 3/4 time that the response Geelong got from their supporters really worked in our favour. The way they carried on you would have thought it was game over against the best performing 4th quarter team going around god I loved it.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Which puts fear in the hearts of the rest of the comp. We have an opportunity to maybe pinch a premiership as the 3rd or 4th best team in the comp ATM.

It proves that ANYTHING IS A POSSIBILITY.

BEING THERE is the first step.

BELIEVING WE CAN WIN is the 2nd step.

COMMITTMENT TO THE CHALLENGE is the 3rd step.

TEAMWORK and DISCIPLINE is the ultimate challenge.

Great motivational sermon Dog God :D I hope that someone on the inside of the club has these up on the walls for the boys to look at over the next few weeks!

mjp
22-08-2009, 06:00 PM
For anyone trying to compare the feeling after the 97 prelim with the loss to West Coast in round 19 2009, let me say this.

I still think about what happened in '97 to this day.
I haven't thought about the West Coast result since the Brisbane game in round 20.

SonofScray
22-08-2009, 06:05 PM
For anyone trying to compare the feeling after the 97 prelim with the loss to West Coast in round 19 2009, let me say this.

I haven't thought about the West Coast result since the Brisbane game in round 20.

I agree. I was furious after the Eagles game but not distraught.

'97 will haunt me to my grave I fear. Finals are very exciting, and I do get fired up but it is tempered by a massive level of anxiety directly related to what happened at the G that day.

Hopefully in a few games time we'll not need to talk about either.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 07:05 PM

2009 Round 19 vs Eagles= Game I was most disappointed in a Bulldogs performance.
1997 Preliminary Final vs Adelaide= Game I was most disappointed in a Bulldogs result (well, any result in life really).

DOG GOD
22-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Great motivational sermon Dog God :D I hope that someone on the inside of the club has these up on the walls for the boys to look at over the next few weeks!

Thanks Magic Griffen. We have the ABILITY to beat anyone. We HAVE to believe that way before the game starts. Walking to the ground the boys and coaches need to have that belief that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

Saints CAN be beaten...Essendon proved that.
Cats can be beaten....we did it last night.

To beat them or ANY team in the finals you HAVE TO BELIEVE!!!!
EVERY game is a 50/50 contest, and CONTEST is the key word here.

LIVE TO WIN
PLAY TO WIN

westdog54
22-08-2009, 07:31 PM

I don't think I've ever experienced such contrasting emotions.

Potentially tumbling out of the top four, losing in the first week of the finals & being bundled straight out & perhaps having to play interstate were all scenarios that ran through my mind in the gloom that followed after that loss to West Coast.

Now, a fortnight later consecutive wins against Brisbane at the Gabba & Geelong enable us to secure a top 4 finish, build a degree of momentum & supply all of us with fresh hope & anticipation.

Yes, a fortnight is a long time in football!

If those 5 posters go the right side of the post we win last night's game by 7 goals.

The only place we were really beaten comprehensively was at the clearances, and when that happened the pressure from our midfield and our back 6 was phenomenal. If not for a lapse in the 3rd quarter last night we've taken both of last year's grand finalists to the cleaners this year.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Gia great first up Higgo to get better from now on cross and griff to come back... we are a BIG CHANCE with momentum . The only captain to hold the cup wore number 6 history will repeat itself

AndrewP6
22-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Gia great first up Higgo to get better from now on cross and griff to come back... we are a BIG CHANCE with momentum . The only captain to hold the cup wore number 6 history will repeat itself

Like your optimism, hughy31

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 11:36 PM

Mjp - I feel the same way, although I wish you hadn't reminded me about '97 :eek: Doesn't seem to make any difference how much counselling I seek, I just can't forget that last quarter, and every time I hear the Crows song, it transports me back to the G!

alwaysadog
23-08-2009, 12:02 AM

I agree that the '97 loss is of far greater significance, the loss to the weagles won't matter at all should we win next week. It was a wake up call to all those who were overhyping our chances, as some are doing all over again.

But 97 no longer troubles me, while I can remember every moment it doesn't hurt any more. Somehow it has got consigned to my waste bin of memories along with all the hype that surrounded the Wallace era but which ultimately came to nothing.

For me that whole period has a dream like quality; was very pleasant early on, then developed sinister overtones, but was as insubstantial as a daydream and can't be taken seriously by the conscious mind.

hujsh
23-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Maybe North just stole the Eagles upset of the year mantle?

A fortnight really is a long time.

LostDoggy
23-08-2009, 05:14 PM
But 97 no longer troubles me, while I can remember every moment it doesn't hurt any more. Somehow it has got consigned to my waste bin of memories along with all the hype that surrounded the Wallace era but which ultimately came to nothing.

For me that whole period has a dream like quality; was very pleasant early on, then developed sinister overtones, but was as insubstantial as a daydream and can't be taken seriously by the conscious mind.

Alwaysadog, I'm going to try and take and leaf out of your book - very grown up approach I reckon ;)

LostDoggy
23-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Mjp - I feel the same way, although I wish you hadn't reminded me about '97 :eek: Doesn't seem to make any difference how much counselling I seek, I just can't forget that last quarter, and every time I hear the Crows song, it transports me back to the G!

As much as I would like to forget it, living in Adelaide, even when we smash them, they always have that. Any chance we could beat them in a prelim on our way to a flag? That would erase all pain.

Who am I kidding? Winning the flag any way at all would erase that day for me.

LostDoggy
24-08-2009, 02:49 PM
(Was gunna make my own thread but theres been too many of the same happening so I'll post it here)

Am I the only one that has a spring in his step today :D (maybe its just my new shoes..i dunno)

or maybe because it's kind of a nice day in Melbourne and I dont need to wear a jumper?

On the footy side of things. So proud of how we played on the weekend..and im sure the confidence gained is big. Watching Rocket get in the huddle on the ground and talking about how basically this is the first step to a big road is inspirational.

Im sure im not the only one who has confidence coming up against Collingwood & heading into the finals..

With StKilda crumbling..beating Melbourne won't bring a huge momentum, Geelong still not right with injuries and lacking the x-factor..we have a real good shot!! ;)