PDA

View Full Version : You and the Filth - memories of Pies games and supporters

Dry Rot
28-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Living up in Sydney, I've never quite grasped the universal hatred of Pies fans and their team.

I did get an insight from a mate of mine who once lived very close to Victoria Park and told me some odd stories. Another mate had some interesting memories of the state of the toilets there.

What are your memories of their games and their supporters? Are they really worse than Saints fans?

LostDoggy
28-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Eddie. McGuire.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii283/brightblue462/alandidakfootycardsp4.jpg

LostDoggy
28-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I haven't found them to be too bad, just too many of them. Although I hated the game in 2006, where Murphy did his knee and they were cheering - but we fixed them up in the finals anyway.:D

LostDoggy
28-08-2009, 02:21 PM
I find Carlton and Essendon supporters to be worse actually. I don't cop much shit off Collingwood supporters, except for one of my mates who last year said "Dogs will be out second week of finals, you just wait. You guys are crap!" Dogs won, Collingwood lost that second week, HEH! (or maybe it was even the first week? I can't remember).

I am loving that pic of Didak.

Prince Imperial
28-08-2009, 02:25 PM
I've never had any real deep dislike of Collingwood or their supporters and actually much prefer them to any of the other big supported Vic clubs (i.e. Ess, Rich and Carl). They've generally had the wood on us (if you pardon the pun) but they've also made attempts to help us like taking part in a Legends fundraising game during the 1989 fightback or the pleas by McGuire to secure us a major sponsor in 2003.

I always remember one at Vic Park in 1991 yelling out how glad he was he he had donated to the Fightback so he could continue to watch them thump us but even I then I didn't take that much offence.

The three best moments against them I have seen are definitely:
- '06 Final thumping
- '84 Beasley goal on the siren after the Allen kick to win the game
- '90 Kolyniuk's late goal and our 2 point MCG victory.

Twodogs
28-08-2009, 02:57 PM
I've got no hatred of Collingwood. I find their fans to be a bit delusional but they arent that offensive-if they start carrying on then saying "one flag in fifty years doesnt make you a powerhouse" usually shuts them up.

Essendon supporters are far bigger scum.

Cyberdoggie
28-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I've got no hatred of Collingwood. I find their fans to be a bit delusional but they arent that offensive-if they start carrying on then saying "one flag in fifty years doesnt make you a powerhouse" usually shuts them up.

i totally agree.

I have no real problems with the pies fans as they are a little rough around the edges but relatively harmless.
Essendon and Carlton in particular are my pet hates.

Blues fans i find particularly arrogant and rude. Bombers fans mostly just annoying, they have a lot of new supporters who shout out wonderful comments like "GOOD CATCH NUMBER 18" and "KICK IT KICK IT KICK IT!".

My hatred of the Carlton filth probably extends to our co-tenant era at Princes Park.
Standing in the outer for the derby games you got to witness to full extent of their behaviour. One particular game from memory 3 Carlton supporters spent the entire game shouting out disgraceful abuse about Paul Hudson, and i'm talking continuously here.
It was like that add on tv with guy that bags "Wilson" all the time except there were 3 of them and the abuse was far more personal. I remember 3 years in a row for Carlton vs the WB game there the same 3 supporters were there near my spot.

Sockeye Salmon
28-08-2009, 03:19 PM
In about 2004-05 or so, I was standing at the Dome and there was a Bulldogs supporting kid (? say about 17-18) very near me who was obviously intellectually disabled.

Buckley was on his way to about 40 touches and the kid was relentless in his attack on Nafan. It was all fairly harmless stuff, 'why don't you get a kick, Buckley', that kind of thing (of course Nafan had had about 30 of the bloody things by then, but whatever).

As soon as the siren goes about 4-5 of the filth decide they're going to lay into him so it's on.

In footy parlance, when it's your turn to go ...

Right then an off-duty cop who was about 6' 5" and 120kgs picked exactly the right time to walk past and pick a couple up by the collar.

If he hadn't, they would have given the disabled kid a hiding (and probably me too).

Remi Moses
28-08-2009, 03:20 PM
They have so many supporters you're going to get more idiots than normal.Never had many hairy moments at Vic Park only comments made in jest to one another

Cyberdoggie
28-08-2009, 03:37 PM
While doing the walk of shame across the bourke st bridge at our previous encounter this year, i was jammed in the pedestrian traffic and down below a bunch of Collingwood supporters realised while they were urinating in public they had an audience of about 10000 people so one decided to run around like a loon with his trouser snake out and was jumping off cars. I believe he also made a mess on himself.

Sedat
28-08-2009, 04:07 PM
In my 20 odd years of regularly going to the footy, Filth supporters have consistently been the least bearable mob by quite some distance. Carlton has their fair share of ignorant Preston and Reservoir Marios who know very little outside of 'Kouta', Essendon feels like you're stuck in some blue light disco hell, Richmond are an angry bunch (fair enough too considering their wretched run since 1982), but for sheer vulgar, ignorant, moronic, insular, crass, unfunny, classless, witless supporterdom, Collingwood is the gold medal winner and multiple world record holder.

The 2006 Elimination Final is as close to football viewing nirvana as I've seen so far, closely followed by the 2003 Grand Final (sad but true).

LostDoggy
28-08-2009, 04:32 PM

Agree Twodogs - I think Collingwood supporters have had to learn some humility since their 1990 flag win because they haven't tasted much success since then (albeit they have played in a couple of grannies against BrisVegas). I find they are starting to become a little more arrogant this year, the better they are playing. I also think my most fabulous recent memory was the final in 2006 - oh, they were pretty quiet after half time that day! IMO Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn and now perhaps St. Kilda supporters are far worse these days!

LostDoggy
28-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Only went to Victoria Park a few times, didn't really have any problems there. I think Geelong suporters at Kardinia Park were the worst, followed by St Kilda at Moorabin. More recently I've been more annoyed by Hawthorn supporters than any other team, a shame seeing as my husband barracks for them. :o

Dry Rot
28-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Only went to Victoria Park a few times, didn't really have any problems there. I think Geelong suporters at Kardinia Park were the worst, followed by St Kilda at Moorabin. More recently I've been more annoyed by Hawthorn supporters than any other team, a shame seeing as my husband barracks for them. :o

What was The Cage?

Most of the Saints fans I see up here look like hardened criminals.

Axe Man
28-08-2009, 06:03 PM
The 2006 Elimination Final is as close to football viewing nirvana as I've seen so far

I particularly enjoyed 3 quarter time in that match when half of the all Collingwood bay an aisle over got up and left and our all Bulldogs bay waved them farewell.

LostDoggy
28-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Probably the fact that they always rate themselves favourites against us even though we've owned them for the last half dozen or so games (not counting this year).

Can't go past Kolynuik's goal - I was right behind the goals when he slotted it.

NoParkingOnMatchDays
28-08-2009, 06:14 PM
I remember a game in the 80's when I was little at the Whitten Oval where there was a scoreboard on the fence up the Barkly street end. It had an attendant who would crouch down and place these big numbered metal plates on nails to make up the score.

Three pies fans spent the whole game very gently spitting on the attendants back actually covering his jacket in green slime. They were very skillful as they had obviously had a lot of practice. Sadly no one said anything as they looked very scary, looked like they spent their summers in Port Phillip and would probably end up spitting on anyone who intervened.

On the way home trying to be cool I tried to spit on the ground, didn't know what I was doing, dribbled down my top and copped a nice clip across the ear for my trouble from my mum.

alwaysadog
28-08-2009, 07:02 PM
In the mid 80s when my kids were young I felt it part of my educative responsibility to fully inform them about all things Bulldog and going to Filth Park to see the enemy in their lair was a necessity step in the process.

Mind you I always corralled them in the dry area, not that I didn’t enjoy a sip at the football, and not that I thought they could be kept from hearing too much bad language there, no it was just that as they were small I didn’t want them being trampled by some drunken dinosaur decked out in black and white.
We parked, entered and moved to the designated spot.

Well right in front was a pretty large woman, tall and wide with legs akimbo, a cask between her ankles and a glass of white wine in each hand. While she appeared quite steady on her feet her tongue was quite loose and the volume turned well up, already berating anyone wearing Footscray colours in between keeping up a running commentary to those in the crowd she recognized while broadcasting the events of her week to an underwhelmed audience.

Soon I found the owner of the second glass when she was joined by an almost identical specimen also decked from top to toe in tasteless renditions of the dreaded black and white, who had it appears been to the loo… and so long there her companion opined, she thought she had slipped in. While they found this amusing I reflected on the sheer physical impossibility of that proposal.

Over the next ½ hour the commentary got louder, more aggressive and at times quite blue. In those days coppers were spread throughout the crowd and there was one nearby who must have heard all this, so I approached him. Taking the line of least resistance I pointed out that she was drinking alcohol in the dry area and suggested that he should do something about it.

He looked back at me as if I was stark raving mad and uttered words to the effect that rather than bother him why didn’t I go and have first crack. I had his full permission to approach the offenders; if it got really nasty he promised to summon assistance before my last breath was driven from me.

So we endured both the humiliation our unofficial commentator proffered all game and the ignominy of a defeat at the hands of the filth. To finish off the trifecta when we got back to the car I had a parking fine.

bornadog
28-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Generally I don't hate the filth that much compared to Carlton, Essendon and Richmond, but do have a couple of memories of their supporters.

1. 1990 -MCG in a close battle all day, Kolyniuk balks around Wright to run into an open goal for a winner. I will never forget these guys sitting in front of me, they looked like hillbillies and the only words that came out of their mouth were grunts. They were seriously scary.

The funny thing was my mate and I couldn't stop ourselves from laughing every time we kicked a goal and their reaction.

2. 2006 MCG, Rocca tackles Murphy and does his knee. I yell out in the MCC members, some abuse at Rocca. About 6 ferals sitting in front of me all stand up and turnm around and have a go at me. Stupid me bate them all night with my comments, I was lucky not to get a punch in the face. Mind you they picked on this poor doggies supporter about three rows down , the whole game.

3. Early 1980's , we had lost about 12 games in a row, it ws ourv worse year under the magnificent Royse Hart:mad: Whitten Oval playing Collingwood, I use to stand between the umpires race and the bulldogs players race. Normally the only supporters there were Doggies. This day a Collingwood supporter decides to stand next tom me with his kid. He insisted on talking to me the whole game and really got on my nerves to the point I had to tell him to piss off and go stand somewhere else.

bornadog
28-08-2009, 09:49 PM
The Typical Collingwood Supporter:D

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/nathanbuckley_wideweb__470x3790.jpg

LostDoggy
28-08-2009, 11:40 PM

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/nathanbuckley_wideweb__470x3790.jpg

Classic!!
Just need someone to punch his mouth to miss a few teeth =P

Happy Days
28-08-2009, 11:40 PM

What a simple, stupid looking little man.

And Mr. Bean looks a bit funny too.

Hotdog60
29-08-2009, 12:11 AM
When I was about 10 or 11 I went to Vic Park to watch the dogs in a practice match and there were some kids nearby letting off a few fire crackers, anyway along come security and proceeded to round up the culprits and as I was in the vicinity they rough handle me out the gates and told me to get lost.
I have had a dislike for the pies ever since.
On the subject of Essendon supporters, I had the displeasure of being surrounded by them at windy hill one day and we were being flogged. It ended up over 100 points and I think Timmy Watson was tearing us apart, I copped crap from the supporters all game and never let up, and so they aren’t much better.

LostDoggy
29-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Peter Rohde's first game as coach. Against the Pies? 40 point win? Trying to remember. Round 22?

Twodogs
29-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I also think my most fabulous recent memory was the final in 2006 - oh, they were pretty quiet after half time that day!

You've remined me of a truly great moment. I was sitting with my son on level one that torwards the back. At three quarter time we were sitting watching the Collingwood supporters stream out of the ground and Harvey said to me "dad can we go and sit in their seats?"

So we were sitting right down the front and on the other side of the ground there were three or four bays comletely jam packed with Buldog supporters. Halfway through the last quarter Bubba kicks a goal, "Sons of the 'Scray" came wafting across the ground and my little bloke looked up at me and said "Dad, this is awesome!", "Yes mate, life doesnt get much better than this":D

LostDoggy
29-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Like what other people have said, I've found Essendon and Carlton fans to be much worse than Pies fans- I'd actually put a couple of other clubs below them as well. They're not that bad, every club is biased, they just have the media helping them out too.

I reserve the right to change this statement tomorrow night :)

The Coon Dog
29-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Like what other people have said, I've found Essendon and Carlton fans to be much worse than Pies fans-

I'll let your Grandmother know you said that! ;)

craigsahibee
30-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Collingwood fans are tools and their cashed up bogan President is the worst.

Hate them with a passion.

2006 Final is probably the most enjoyable moment vs Collingwood I have had in 35 years. Before the game started one of the filth army was sitting in the front low of level 2 southern stand at the punt rd end of the ground directly above us and just started gobbin' off and telling all doggie fans to head off back to telstra dome, but using more colourful language. Early in the game he was up and about and having a great time with his filthy mates. Funnily enough just after 3 quarter time his mates had all left and he was there by himself resting his head on the rails in front of him looking a little dejected. GOLD. He did get a nice send off from the huddled masses below when the siren blew.

One of the other reasons I hate Collingwood so much is BRODIE HOLLAND. Enough said.

LostDoggy
30-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Just ocurred to me, Carlton have the mafia, and Collingwood have the stooges:eek:

Dry Rot
30-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Wonder if we'll have some interesting crowd reports from today's game?

angelopetraglia
30-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Very cocky Pies supporters tonight. Nothing too bad. A few idiots, but nothing abnormal.

They were a bit shell shocked half way through that last quarter.

A bit different to the Vic Park days.

gohardorgohome
30-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I find Carlton and Essendon supporters to be worse actually. I don't cop much shit off Collingwood supporters, except for one of my mates who last year said "Dogs will be out second week of finals, you just wait. You guys are crap!" Dogs won, Collingwood lost that second week, HEH! (or maybe it was even the first week? I can't remember).

I am loving that pic of Didak.

I really dont mind Collingwood...I've never heard crap come out of their supporters mouths like the "Tin Rattling" and hanging crap on Teddy Whitten when he was dying rubbish I have heard from Essendon Supporters.

I used to hate it when Carlton supporters used to say "We've got the Dollars" calls.

North supporters are low in numbers but high in attitude too.

All in all I have found Collingwood Suporters a lot better....They do tend to have a higher number of supporters still clinging onto the Mullett, but IMO they're not too bad.

AndrewP6
30-08-2009, 11:32 PM
They were a bit shell shocked half way through that last quarter.

Didn't really have any dramas.. but took great delight in waving some off as they took to the exits early!!!

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=craigsahibee;109227]Collingwood fans are tools and their cashed up bogan President is the worst.
Hate them with a passion.

I think this is a bit harsh. IMO, Eddie was always very vocal in standing up for our club, back in the merger days, and even in more recent times when there was talk of us moving interstate. He has always been a person who wanted to make sure that Victorian teams stayed in Melbourne. (Correct me if I'm wrong about this?)

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Didn't really have any dramas.. but took great delight in waving some off as they took to the exits early!!!

Always nice to be able to give opposition supporters a little wave as they leave early, isn't it? ;)

bornadog
31-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Last night I was stuck with Collingwood supporters every where and in fact squeezed in between two. The lady next to me was very insensitive and said if Collingwood can't win the premiership she would rather see the Saints win it.

I didn't talk to het for the rest of the match:D

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Crows supporters make Collingwood supporters look like members of the Australian Boys Choir and MENSA

Sockeye Salmon
31-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Crows supporters make Collingwood supporters look like members of the Australian Boys Choir and MENSA

I used to think that.

I lived (can you 'live' in Adelaide?) in the early 90's and the Crows supporters back then were certifiable ferals.

The last time I went to Footy Park they were more like Melbourne supporters - golf clap, "well played number 23".

I reckon all the ferals left the Crows when Port came in. I think the ferls were all Port Magpies supporters who bailed in 96.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 06:04 PM
I used to think that.

I lived (can you 'live' in Adelaide?) in the early 90's and the Crows supporters back then were certifiable ferals.

The last time I went to Footy Park they were more like Melbourne supporters - golf clap, "well played number 23".

I reckon all the ferals left the Crows when Port came in. I think the ferls were all Port Magpies supporters who bailed in 96.

A friend of mine went to Adelaide for a Port V Dogs game a few years ago. He got spat on in the carpark after the game - and that was when Port actually won. :eek:

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Pies fans are the quietest when it comes to opposition kicking goals..hilarious. But if theres a 50/50 decision that doesnt go their way u'll hear about it.

Enjoyed watching them walk down the long lonesome stairs of despair after the game while we clapped away to our song..Dont remember how many times I said 'Enjoy the sainters' on the way out.

They sure are a feral bunch..when I was going up to pickup my tickets one trackie-wearing-joffa-lookalike yells out "ITS A BLOODY CHOOK RAFFLE" to the ticket attendant after being told it was now standing only. I looked at the bloke and laughed as did he.

Chook raffle? :/

Remi Moses
31-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Just a quick memo to our supporters if you wanna good look at something commonly known as Hypocrosy get on Nicks web page . Hypewood fan complaining about a Dogs fan having a go at him. Is this the same bunch of animal supporting fans who beat up the father of Nathan Jones? Talk about sour grapes in plentiful supply down at Hypewood:p:p