PDA

View Full Version : Should Murphy Play this week.

bornadog
08-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Didn't train today and has been playing with pain killers. The six day break did not help his cause and had problems on Saturday.

Should we rest him this week with a view to getting him right for the following two weeks, or is it better to go into this weeks cut throat final with an injured player?

Mantis
08-09-2009, 04:30 PM
If he is struggling I say rest him. We need him more so for St.Kilda than Brisbane.

I know its a cut throat game, but we really have enough quality to win this week without him.

LostDoggy
08-09-2009, 04:31 PM
If he is struggling I say rest him. We need him more so for St.Kilda than Brisbane.

I know its a cut throat game, but we really have enough quality to win this week without him.

I wouldn't be that confident if I were you. We are the FFC after all.

bornadog
08-09-2009, 04:37 PM

I agree, he is vital in our forward line, but fit not half done.

Oh Please, none of that, we have gone way past that sort of thing.

chef
08-09-2009, 04:43 PM

What do you mean by that?

neodog
08-09-2009, 04:46 PM
wway way past that....population booms in the west. ( all new aparments, high rise ) coming up in footscray. i expect us to be the next powerhouse.

back on topic - playing underdone player is such a risky prospect in finals, as the knocks, hit are so much harder and are more likely to aggravate existing injuries. Murphy small frame and silky skills are prime target for the opposition hitmen.

if he is in pain then no, if he can't run full speed, then no.

Sedat
08-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Is Riewoldt is at full fitness? Chappy? Ottens? We've got 3 weeks (hopefully) to go - we need out best players on the park every week from here on in. I actually think Murph needs game time - he has missed a heap of football over the course of the season.

I know he was poor on Saturday but Murph is just a critical component to our forward line structure. Who else will run as hard and as often to present a target up forward for our mids to spot up? Hahn? Welsh? Johnno? We run the risk of having a dysfunctional forward line that completely breaks down, like we witnessed against the West Coast in Round 19.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2009, 05:14 PM
With Welsh spending time down back, who is our lead up target?

But then again, if we think we can win, perhaps the week off might be what he needs. His kicking was a little 'McGuane' like ater the jab.

Sockeye Salmon
08-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Easy decision.

If he's not fit he misses.

The Pie Man
08-09-2009, 05:37 PM
if he is in pain then no, if he can't run full speed, then no.

He seemed to be ok on the lead to me last Saturday, it was more his kicking that was wayyyy off - and this from a guy that pierces 50 mtr stabs to the likes of Hill in the goal square round 21.

neodog
08-09-2009, 05:43 PM
He seemed to be ok on the lead to me last Saturday, it was more his kicking that was wayyyy off - and this from a guy that pierces 50 mtr stabs to the likes of Hill in the goal square round 21.

It didn' t help that both the left and right angle options were covered by Geelong defenders and the get out option had Scarlett floating by himself.

There were a few time we kicked the ball to our forward on a one on one stationary contest and most of the times our midget forward ( aka VS engright) was out bodied and outmarked. Thats right no spoils, outmarked.

Murphy need another BOB to leadup to kick to when he swings around.

BulldogBelle
08-09-2009, 05:49 PM
IMO from all the signs we've been shown, he absolutely should not play this week. 1 game experience won't outweigh the benefit of having him that much fitter against St kilda.

But then again what we'll probably do is run our important players into the ground as to make our chances against the saints as minimal as possible.

Remi Moses
08-09-2009, 05:53 PM
There wouldn't be a player from any of the sides left who isn't playing with an injury of some description. Just has to play and give him a DVD of Black playing under duress last week and Brown and half their side.

Remi Moses
08-09-2009, 05:55 PM
IMO from all the signs we've been shown, he absolutely should not play this week. 1 game experience won't outweigh the benefit of having him that much fitter against St kilda.

But then again what we'll probably do is run our important players into the ground as to make our chances against the saints as minimal as possible.

Yes and if we get done this week. West Coast game might refresh some memories on here