PDA

View Full Version : Restless Andrew Lovett eyes Essendon exit

The Coon Dog
11-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Greg Denham | September 10, 2009

ESSENDON midfielder Andrew Lovett wants a fresh start at another club one year after he went tantalisingly close to resurrecting his career with Geelong.

Lovett is out of contract at Windy Hill and is understood to be keen to be traded, with West Coast, Sydney, Hawthorn and Fremantle showing interest.

The Cats will not go down the Lovett path this year due to salary cap pressure on their star-studded list.

Last year, Geelong attempted to trade him in for his lightning-quick pace, but Essendon demanded too much in return and he stayed despite several falling-outs with coach Matthew Knights, which included two club suspensions for breaking team rules.

Article in full... (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26050776-5012432,00.html)

The Coon Dog
11-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Interesting:

Other Eagles players who are looking at options elsewhere include Mark Nicoski and Matt Spangher. The out-of-contract pair are managed by Colin Young.

Desipura
11-09-2009, 08:45 AM
We will no doubt look at Spangher

chef
11-09-2009, 09:03 AM

Apart from Hill and Stack(no deal for me) what else could we offer?

Is he worth a second round pick?

Does he want to leave because he is homesick or can he not get a regular game at the Eagles?

LostDoggy
11-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Interesting:

Other Eagles players who are looking at options elsewhere include Mark Nicoski and Matt Spangher. The out-of-contract pair are managed by Colin Young.

Watching Spangher in the TAC Cup 3 or 4 years ago, I thought he ws going to turn into something special.

He hasn't .................yet.

He has had his chances at the Eagles but hasn't set the world on fire

Desipura
11-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Apart from Hill and Stack(no deal for me) what else could we offer?

Is he worth a second round pick?

Does he want to leave because he is homesick or can he not get a regular game at the Eagles?
Spangher is worth what a club is willing to part with. If there are a number of clubs after him, he may be worth a 2nd round. It depends what our competitors are going to offer him as to what we would pay. We may have to offer our 2nd pick for their 3rd round for example.

Rocket Science
11-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Mark Nicoski's as close to a Jordan McMahon clone as one could muster, without the musketeer face fluff.

bulldogsman
11-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Just a question. Shouldn't this sort of stuff be posted on the State League Board?

Happy Days
11-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Watching Spangher in the TAC Cup 3 or 4 years ago, I thought he ws going to turn into something special.

He hasn't .................yet.

He has had his chances at the Eagles but hasn't set the world on fire

Spangher played a blinder in his last game for the Coasters, so he definitely has the ability (no Peter Street references please). A change of scenery could be just the thing for him. I would love us to have a dip.

As per Nicoski, he basically is Jordan McMahon. Great 2006, has done bugger all since.

chef
11-09-2009, 06:20 PM

Can he play as a KPD?

Sedat
11-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Spangher played a blinder in his last game for the Coasters, so he definitely has the ability (no Peter Street references please). A change of scenery could be just the thing for him. I would love us to have a dip.
He's been discussed in the 'cash converters' thread in the state league board:

http://woof.net.au/forum/showpost.php?p=110281&postcount=102

I agree that he has some genuine upside, but unfortunately there are multiple clubs interested in him which will drive his price up beyond his current worth (especially considering he is a KP defensive prospect). That's not to say he isn't worth looking at, just that he will not come cheap.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2009, 11:33 AM
With Eagle on the backend of his career, would we look at Lovett?

The Coon Dog
12-09-2009, 11:46 AM
With Eagle on the backend of his career, would we look at Lovett?

I would love a player with Lovett's speed in our midfield, but it all depends on the cost.

Desipura
12-09-2009, 11:50 AM
I would love a player with Lovett's speed in our midfield, but it all depends on the cost.

Its been reported he is currently on about $350k and he wants about $500k. That would count us out, not to mention he is not worth that much.

The Coon Dog
12-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Its been reported he is currently on about $350k and he wants about $500k. That would count us out, not to mention he is not worth that much.

Oops! I meant what it would cost to get him, the other is a consideration too.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Could we trade down our first rounder for a decent player (for example ONLY: pick 17 to PA for Ebert, or similar, and pick 25? / pick 17 to WCE for Spangher and pick 23, and a later pick too perhaps). A trade like Polak for an upgrade of picks in the first round.

Then on trade this high second round pick (i.e. 23/25) to Essendon for Lovett? Last year showed he's not worth a first rounder and that cost is too much for other sides to part with. Now he is out of contract and rumours of his falling out keep the price down somewhat I would hope.

So our first rounder gets two Established players and Hall with a later pick swap (4th to 5th). If our window is right now and something like this is possible, i say go for it.

In: Lovett, Spangher/Ebert, Hall, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, 5th rounder and rookie upgrades of Picken and perhaps one of two others.

To afford it we cut deep with de-listings and retirements.

Desipura
12-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Oops! I meant what it would cost to get him, the other is a consideration too.
I too would love his speed in our midfield. I think whoever gets him will pay over the odds ie Sydney, then there is the off field issues he has had.

anfo27
12-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Could we trade down our first rounder for a decent player (for example ONLY: pick 17 to PA for Ebert, or similar, and pick 25? / pick 17 to WCE for Spangher and pick 23, and a later pick too perhaps). A trade like Polak for an upgrade of picks in the first round.

Then on trade this high second round pick (i.e. 23/25) to Essendon for Lovett? Last year showed he's not worth a first rounder and that cost is too much for other sides to part with. Now he is out of contract and rumours of his falling out keep the price down somewhat I would hope.

So our first rounder gets two Established players and Hall with a later pick swap (4th to 5th). If our window is right now and something like this is possible, i say go for it.

In: Lovett, Spangher/Ebert, Hall, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, 5th rounder and rookie upgrades of Picken and perhaps one of two others.

To afford it we cut deep with de-listings and retirements.

I like the sound of that. Pick 17 in this years draft by the sounds of it is not very good so if we could do something along those lines i would be impressed and the fact if we have pick 17 means we win the flag, VERY HAPPY WITH THAT

Happy Days
12-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks but no thanks. We can get a speedy player in the draft (i.e: Jetta, Christiensen), and they won't cost us $500k.

GVGjr
12-09-2009, 06:35 PM

It's hard to rationalise that if we are struggling to meet Lakes demands that we could put in an offer for Lovett.

comrade
12-09-2009, 06:44 PM
It's hard to rationalise that if we are struggling to meet Lakes demands that we could put in an offer for Lovett.

I struggle to believe that Lovett has the balls to ask for that much money. He was good this year, but he still puts in plenty of stinkers, and his previous years have been nothing but inconsistent.

Rocco Jones
12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I struggle to believe that Lovett has the balls to ask for that much money. He was good this year, but he still puts in plenty of stinkers, and his previous years have been nothing but inconsistent.

Yep. He seems to get a lot of attention from the opposition, due to a combo of how dangerous he can be and how he struggles with close checking. I think Lovett could be the type of player who excels in a quality side, either getting freedom or creating it for another dangerous team mate. His pure leg speed would be a great addition.

His attitude stinks but he wouldn't be available if it didn't. With our tight cap space it might be a bit much for our squad to accept bringing in a highish priced recruit with a crap reputation attitude wise.

Desipura
12-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Totally agree.