PDA

View Full Version : Differences since we played the Saints

bornadog
15-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Here are the team comparisons showing the last time we played the Saints versus, the last teams that played in the finals. Some big ins and Outs for both teams. The other difference will be playing the Saints at then MCG.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/round17.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/playersv.jpg

Not sure if the Saints will make any further changes going into this weeks final.

Do you think the make up of the teams is to our advantage or Saints advantage in comparison to the teams that played in round 17.

Sedat
15-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Do you think the make up of the teams is to our advantage or Saints advantage in comparison to the teams that played in round 17.
Good post. St Kilda's changes look good on paper but they are very top heavy and give them less flexibility if injuries of match-ups don't go according to plan on the night. The Dogs look much better for the inclusion of Gia and Gilbee at the expense of Addison and Hill, especially against such a hard-arse team. And if Callan stays in, we have additional coverage for St Kilda's plethora of defensive mid-sized forwards. Williams for Welsh would also give us height options if that change eventuates.

The likes of Dempster and Gwilt are exactly the types of players that fall under the guard because we invest so much time on their big guns - Gwilt was terrific against Lake in Round 6. Hudghton is a much better fit in defence against us than Dawson but Lyon won't be making that change now.

bornadog
15-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Hudghton is a much better fit in defence against us than Dawson but Lyon won't be making that change now.

Do you think Lyon may look at our team and make changes to suit. From their perspective Hudghton and Dawson in would suit our forward line.

We look better with Gilbee in as well. Round 17 we found it hard to get the ball out of our defensive 50, and turned the ball over a number of times. I think Gilbee is alot smarter than say Harbrow on the kick outs.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Do you think Lyon may look at our team and make changes to suit. From their perspective Hudghton and Dawson in would suit our forward line.

We look better with Gilbee in as well. Round 17 we found it hard to get the ball out of our defensive 50, and turned the ball over a number of times. I think Gilbee is alot smarter than say Harbrow on the kick outs.

He'd have to be tempted because on past form Hudghton has done pretty well against us and BJ. I am quite suprised they are sticking with Dawson, I think he can be exposed (ala v Petrie) but with their defensive structure he's been covered.

If I was a St. Kilda fan, I'd want Max to play.

Personally though I hope they stay with Dawson. Better for us.

boydogs
15-09-2009, 07:59 PM

Both sides look better now than in round 17 I think, however the skills and fitness of Gia and Gilbee against their big guys put us ahead. We are the best side in the AFL in the last quarter and our running players are in form, not sure who the Saints could bring in who could add pace and fitness to counter us.

jazzadogs
15-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Both sides look better now than in round 17 I think, however the skills and fitness of Gia and Gilbee against their big guys put us ahead. We are the best side in the AFL in the last quarter and our running players are in form, not sure who the Saints could bring in who could add pace and fitness to counter us.
Best team in the last quarter didn't help us last two times...

Those changes don't really make a difference as far as I'm concerned. It matters more how they perform on Friday night than who they are.

boydogs
15-09-2009, 08:39 PM

We did allow the margin to blowout last time, though the Welsh intercharge free killed our momentum a bit there, but did make ground on them in the last quarter in round 6 from a long way back. Gilbee and Gia in will only help though, especially when the Saints have added the run of Kosi, Gardiner and Dawson in comparison

Mantis
15-09-2009, 08:44 PM

Might have helped if we had a bench in rd 17 or even a fit 18 on the ground.

And we did out-score them by a couple of goals in the last qtr way back in rd 6. I did hear rumours after that game that the Saints players were dead on their feet at 3/4 time, pity they had such a big break in the game. Hopefully we can be a little closer and have a few fit players this time around.

bornadog
15-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Might have helped if we had a bench in rd 17 or even a fit 18 on the ground.

And we did out-score them by a couple of goals in the last qtr way back in rd 6. I did hear rumours after that game that the Saints players were dead on their feet at 3/4 time, pity they had such a big break in the game. Hopefully we can be a little closer and have a few fit players this time around.

If we are within a few goals at three quarter time, we have a huge chance to win.

BulldogBelle
15-09-2009, 11:45 PM
The Saints will self destruct

Sounds silly, but I havent felt so confident about the red, white and blue EVER before

We will come to play in the first quarter this game, compared to on the previous two occasions earlier in the year

The larger ground will suit us moreso than when we played them at the Dome twice this year

Providing our run and carry players like Eagle, Griff, Gilbee, Shaggy etc get heaps of the ball, and work hard, we will win

Ozza
16-09-2009, 03:30 PM

Sounds silly, but I havent felt so confident about the red, white and blue EVER before

This would be nice - but unfortunately there has been no indication in our clubs history to suggest we would win a prelim against the best side in the comp.

I think we are a very good chance, and I'm certainly hoping - but there is nothing to suggest the saints will 'self destruct'.

I certainly hope you are right on the mark DH - I just can't picture it yet.

LostDoggy
16-09-2009, 03:35 PM

That will be interesting.. since the Dogs are pretty much the other "most likely to self-destruct" team in the comp -- actually, all four preliminary finalists are perennial chokers to a certain extent, interestingly.

It may become a bit like a 'slowest bicycle' competition, who can choke the least, basically...

Ozza
16-09-2009, 03:44 PM
St.Kilda have made a Grand Final in the last 20 years - surely its our turn!

neodog
16-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Excellent comparison of the two teams. GIA and Gilbee are BIG BIG massive ins for us. They are our prime mover from between the 50 arc and quite frankly this is where the game will be won or lost. Gilbee kicking will help get us out of defence and Gia (much maligned due to seemingly look lack for effort at time) with his role/ability to find space and spot up targets will break the saints zoned style defence and man up quite a bit. Once this happens our quick forwards are every chance and as damaging to score.

bornadog
16-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Saints are considering two changes to the team that beat the Pies. I think they will bring in Hughton and maybe another runner.

Sedat
16-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Saints are considering two changes to the team that beat the Pies. I think they will bring in Hughton and maybe another runner.
Malthouse does these sort of horses-for-courses selection changes in his sleep, but Ross Lyon strikes me as quite a stubborn bugger. Dawson for Hudghton is the obvious change this week but I get this funny feeling that Dawson will be lining up on Friday night for the Saints and they will go unchanged. The other player in the gun is possibly Luke Ball, but he was quite servicable against the Pies.

Perhaps Rocket is throwing Tom Williams' name out there to keep Lyon off the scent so that St Kilda don't bolster their running stocks (thinking we'll go in with one less runner if we pick Tom).

LostDoggy
16-09-2009, 06:14 PM
If Lyon was a stubbord bugger, he wouldn't have had the guts to drop Luke Ball. I only wish Rocket would have the same coaching attitude in terms of team selection. If you're out of form you're out.

Mantis
16-09-2009, 06:43 PM
If Lyon was a stubbord bugger, he wouldn't have had the guts to drop Luke Ball. I only wish Rocket would have the same coaching attitude in terms of team selection. If you're out of form you're out.

Ball was an easy one. He can't kick much further than 40m and couldn't run out of sight on a foggy night.

He only plays about 50-60% game time and if he wasn't such a 'hard' bastard he would be playing each and every week in the VFL.