PDA

View Full Version : Akermanis

wimberga
19-09-2009, 10:13 AM
`Last Night, I felt we lacked a little bit of composure at distinct parts throughout the game and was looking for only one man - Akermanis - to stand up at this time and show his real class.

Was not his best game, and It's just unusual because for Aker the bigger the game the more he stands up usually.

Does anyone know any reasons or care to speculate as to why akers influence last night was so small? How did you guys rate his game?

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Someone on another thread said that he was very poor this week and last. I think that stretching too far. Last week he got smashed(concussion) yet still contrbuted. This week, even though he wasn't good (didn't get into space or kick goals), he chased, tackled and harassed. far from the worst on the ground.

Mantis
19-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Someone on another thread said that he was very poor this week and last. I think that stretching too far. Last week he got smashed(concussion) yet still contrbuted. This week, even though he wasn't good (didn't get into space or kick goals), he chased, tackled and harassed. far from the worst on the ground.

We didn't trade for him for this, he was brought in to add some polish and he just didn't get his hands on the ball enough.

Go_Dogs
19-09-2009, 11:36 AM
We didn't trade for him for this, he was brought in to add some polish and he just didn't get his hands on the ball enough.

Agreed. At times his composure was not Aker like either, and he burnt the ball and put some team mates under pressure. Not his best game, but he's had a pretty good year and should play on.

Don't forget he had the dirty bastard Baker on him most of the night, probably smashing him illegally at every opportunity.

Rocco Jones
19-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Don't forget he had the dirty bastard Baker on him most of the night, probably smashing him illegally at every opportunity.

That makes a big difference. Aker was very disappointing but he didn't have an opponent who hurt him going the other way. If he still warrants an out and out negating player this time next year, he will be well worth his spot on the list.

Mantis
19-09-2009, 11:56 AM

We had players doing the exact same thing.

Go_Dogs
19-09-2009, 11:57 AM
We had players doing the exact same thing.

What is your point?

Mantis
19-09-2009, 12:38 PM
What is your point?

Point is that you can't blame Baker's tactics for Aker's poor output, Aker played like an old man last night.

frank863
19-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if Aker retired. I hope he doesnt, but i wont be surprised if he does.

AndrewP6
19-09-2009, 12:47 PM
I thought he butchered the ball a bit, but that is very uncharacteristic of him. I feel he adds value to the team, and don't think based on one game, that opinion should change. His chase and tackling efforts were good IMO.

bornadog
19-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Point is that you can't blame Baker's tactics for Aker's poor output, Aker played like an old man last night.

and that makes me think he won't be playing next year.

cinder
19-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Unfortunately he was down on form last night when we needed him the most. Even though he's been a great contributor all year, it's night like last night that really count.

Especially because he's played in a team that's won 3 premierships, he really needs to be a leader to our more inexperienced guys - last night he just didn't cut it for us.

anfo27
19-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Very disappointed in Aker last night, have to agree with Mantis there. Last nights situation was the reason we traded for Aker to stand up on the big stage. He didn't do that at all, it makes me think does rocket look at that game and say your times up Aker. He has been very valuable this year but when he was really needed he didn't produce.

Having said all that i'm sure i heard some where that Aker claimed he was suffering from an ear infection last week and that with his head getting smashed might have had an effect on his performace.

Swoop
19-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Just as a side note, what were peoples thoughts on the deliberate out of bounds against Aker in the last quarter. I don't have a problem with that specific free kick that was paid, infact it was quite obvious they were going to pay that. My question however is with regards to the interpretation of the rule, should someone who has no team mates up field be able to kick it 50 metres to their advantage hoping to gain ground be penalised?

The Bulldogs Bite
19-09-2009, 03:51 PM
and that makes me think he won't be playing next year.

Based on the last two weeks, I don't think he should either. He's had a very good season though so it makes it difficult. I suppose the decision will be left up to him but we recruited Aker to perform in the finals. We recruited him for the polish to drag us over the line in a game exactly like last night. He might of tackled/chased, but he was very slow and turned the ball over almost every time.

Mantis and a few others are right in that he simply couldn't run.

If he plays on next year, we'd need to manage him through the season and that's something we haven't done with ANY player for quite a while.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Love ya Aker, but missed ya bad last night!!

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Yep he had a bad night, so did Eagleton.

We should've converted earlier and and even late in the game and put more scoreboard pressure on. I thought our backline stood up earlier and Eade got all the match ups correct in this game.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Yep he had a bad night, so did Eagleton.

We should've converted earlier and and even late in the game and put more scoreboard pressure on. I thought our backline stood up earlier and Eade got all the match ups correct in this game.
Good point. Eade coached exceptionally well last night.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Just watching the replay now. Is Dennis Commetti a St. Kilda supporter?

AndrewP6
19-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Just as a side note, what were peoples thoughts on the deliberate out of bounds against Aker in the last quarter. I don't have a problem with that specific free kick that was paid, infact it was quite obvious they were going to pay that. My question however is with regards to the interpretation of the rule, should someone who has no team mates up field be able to kick it 50 metres to their advantage hoping to gain ground be penalised?

No, they shouldn't... happens numerous times every game all season and it doesn't get paid. And they change their interpretation for a final...

bulldogtragic
19-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Of all so contenscious decisions, i have the least issue with that one. Consistency of the interpretation and decisions yes, but i would have paid it in light of the decisions all year paid like it. There were far more bigger and blatant mistakes made - see Aker39's assessment in the frees thread for a very good techincal analysis.

LostDoggy
19-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Aker is going to be interviewed on Before The Game on One HD now. Tune in.

Stefcep
19-09-2009, 10:57 PM
If some of us here say Aker should retire, then how far are off are we from saying so should Johno. Be a brave man to say Aker offers less than Johno.

Sockeye Salmon
19-09-2009, 11:22 PM

To have the skill to kick along the line that far, bounce it in play and have it go out should be rewarded, even if it is only with a throw-in.

In rugby they cheer like hell when they do it.

Rocco Jones
20-09-2009, 12:10 AM
What about Aker's game against the Cats in the QF?

Ozza
20-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Aker got beaten on the night by a very strong shut down player. We were hoping for better - but shutting down Aker and Cooney was the Saints no.1 defensive objective. I hope he plays on. Aker is a little champ and was our best in plenty of games this year.

azabob
20-09-2009, 01:26 PM
What about Aker's game against the Cats in the QF?

Was fairly quite bar 2 or 3 mins?

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Nobody has mentioned it, but I thought that Aker was having problems running on Friday night? I was specifically watching him a couple of times, and usually he chases, but he just didn't look right? My partner sitting next to me (not a bulldogs supporter) also thought this??

Did you see him on Before the game last night? Interesting what he said about the Lake bump on St. Nick (now I prefer St. Sook) - allegedly Morris and Lake were told by an umpire that if he caught them bumping their opponents, he wouldn't hesitate to award a free kick! Aker said Morris only told him this at the end of the game, and wished it was earlier, as he took a few punches from his opponent (Baker I think) that were outside of the rules, and intimated that if he had've known what the umps said, he would have taken a dive, like St. Nick!

Hotdog60
20-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Just as a side note, what were peoples thoughts on the deliberate out of bounds against Aker in the last quarter. I don't have a problem with that specific free kick that was paid, in fact it was quite obvious they were going to pay that. My question however is with regards to the interpretation of the rule, should someone who has no team mates up field be able to kick it 50 metres to their advantage hoping to gain ground be penalised?

Aker admitted he stuffed up on kicking out of bounds on propose, he had 2 players in the corridor and didn't look and see them.

Not just Aker but it also happened a couple of times were players were free in the middle and we didn't look inboard and kicked to a contest down field.

dog town
21-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Based on the last two weeks, I don't think he should either. He's had a very good season though so it makes it difficult. I suppose the decision will be left up to him but we recruited Aker to perform in the finals. We recruited him for the polish to drag us over the line in a game exactly like last night. He might of tackled/chased, but he was very slow and turned the ball over almost every time.

Mantis and a few others are right in that he simply couldn't run.

If he plays on next year, we'd need to manage him through the season and that's something we haven't done with ANY player for quite a while.If Aker doesn't play then Baker probably goes on to someone else. I thought he had a howler and I was expecting big things from him on the night but he was still well worth his spot in the team. The saints had to devote a player entirely into shutting him down and that cannot be a bad thing for the team.

I thought we might have tried to isolate the two of them deep a bit more often. I suppose the way the game was being played it was not really a situation where you could have got them one on one but I think we could have used him i more dangerous positions.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 05:34 PM
We would be crazy to not have Aker play on next season.

Swoop
21-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Aker admitted he stuffed up on kicking out of bounds on propose, he had 2 players in the corridor and didn't look and see them.

Not just Aker but it also happened a couple of times were players were free in the middle and we didn't look inboard and kicked to a contest down field.

My problem isn't with the free kick, I agree it was there to be paid. My question has to do with the interpretation of the actual rule in general.

My questions is, should a player who gains 50 metres for his side be penalised for deliberate out of bounds despite making up so much ground.

Hotdog60
21-09-2009, 06:48 PM
My problem isn't with the free kick, I agree it was there to be paid. My question has to do with the interpretation of the actual rule in general.

My questions is, should a player who gains 50 metres for his side be penalised for deliberate out of bounds despite making up so much ground.

I suppose it all comes under that ruling of time wasting, the game has evolved into a high scoring fast flowing game, which hinders any defensive tactics. I think if you kick it 50 metres down field it should be more of clearing the zone and regrouping tactic and providing you clear it far enough it shouldn't be penalised. But that's not how the AFL want the game to run.

bulldog
21-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Aker must play on though i foundthis odd Aker has a book coming out in November called After the siren google it and see what it says hopefully it was done ages ago as he def has another season in hime.

westbulldog
22-09-2009, 10:59 AM
IMO we would have finished 5-8 rather than in the top 4 had it not been for Aker's influence in quite a few games. 10 Brownlow medal votes was testament to his abilities. I hope he plays on in 2010.