PDA

View Full Version : Delisting, Trading and Retirements

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Which players on the list do you think should be delisted, traded or should retire

My List

Delist
Malcolm Lynch
Wayde Skipper
Cameron Wight
John Shaw

Trade
Paul O'Shea
Stephen Tiller
And maybe Tim Callan for 2nd or early 3rd round pick

Retire
Scott Welsh

With the delisting maybe try to get any sort of Draft pick for them

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Delist:
Wight
Skipper
O'Shea
Callan
Shaw

Retire:
Welsh
Eagleton

Trade:
Tiller

Drunken Bum
20-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Delist

Wight
Skipper
O'Shea

Retire

Welsh
Eagleton

Trade

i wouldnt be adverse to trading Addison for BBBH if that is what will get it done.
There are very few untouchables if the right deal comes along as far as i am concerned but i am not too keen on shopping too many around

AndrewP6
20-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Not sure about some of the younger blokes, I don't see them at Willy, so it'd be a bit unfair to comment. However I'd keep Callan and Tiller (not sure we'd get much for Tiller anyway)... Delist Skipper and Wight - if they were going to make their mark, it would've happened by now. Hate to say, but it might be time for Welsh and/or Eagleton to go. They've been good, and I like both, but time might've caught up with them.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Delist:

Wight, Skipper, Shaw, White

Trade:

Addison, O'Keefe, Lynch

Retire:

Welsh, Eagleton

bulldogtragic
20-09-2009, 06:45 PM
So many questions fellas... Really do you all know how the rookie system works and what players are worth.... Mulligan, Whie and Shaw are elevated or out! That Callan would be gifted to us and then be worth a second rounder, or O'Shea without a senior game and years of serious injuries will be traded???

But in the spirit of things:

Out (6):

Wight
O'Shea
Skipper
O'Keefe
Welsh
Eagleton

Callan and Tiller will not be worth anything in a trade, not to mention they are most likely required players...

Rookies:

Picken - Elevated
White, Shaw, Mulligan - One to be elevated, the other two out.

Giving us 4 main list vacancies and 4 rookie list vacancies.

Thus: Picks 15, 32, 48, 64 - Rookie Draft 14, 28, 42, 56

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Not sure about some of the younger blokes, I don't see them at Willy, so it'd be a bit unfair to comment. However I'd keep Callan and Tiller (not sure we'd get much for Tiller anyway)... Delist Skipper and Wight - if they were going to make their mark, it would've happened by now. Hate to say, but it might be time for Welsh and/or Eagleton to go. They've been good, and I like both, but time might've caught up with them.

Maybe Hawthorn or Carlton might be interested

AndrewP6
20-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Maybe Hawthorn or Carlton might be interested

Maybe, but for who (or what)?

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Maybe, but for who (or what)?

Carlton: Brad Fisher and a 4th round pick or a 3rd round pick

Hawthorn: Mitch Thorp and/or late pick

bulldogtragic
20-09-2009, 06:57 PM

Are you trolling or do you really believe this stuff?

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempino

I guess i'm a bit optimistic

bulldogtragic
20-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempino

I guess i'm a bit optimistic
Fair enough then, it's a broad church.

azabob
20-09-2009, 07:04 PM

I'd prefer Tiller over those players named.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2009, 07:07 PM
I'd prefer Tiller over those players named.
Tiller was taken a year early and has developed nicely from my point of view. He had injuries this year, but looks like he could be a decent swing man as a 3rd back or forward. Not sure why so many have him in their sights either.

Jasper
20-09-2009, 08:05 PM
What is likely

Outs

Welsh
Wight
Skipper

Addison, Lynch or O'Keefe (traded to Syd for BBBH)

Ins

Picken (elevated)
Hall
1st Round
2nd Round

What I'd like to see:

Some risks taken:

Out of the 22 to play last game, I'd like see:
Hahn out Hall in
Eagle out for Hill
Callan out Williams
Everitt and Grant knocking the door down for Welsh's spot

Traded:
Minson traded to Port, this is a big risk but why not punt that Everitt or Roughead can cover and if necessary recruit someone like C Cloke for cheap cover
Mitch Hahn traded while he has some value, with Hall and one of Grant, Everitt or Roughead coming in, this leaves no room for Mitch

Our drafting should look to address skilful and speedy, need to recruit another Harbrow type, preferably a crumbing forward version, as Harbrow looks like taking over from Gilbee
If Port and Burgoyne wanted to look at Griffin for Burgoyne (and whatever required to balance then do it). Griffin can't kick and is hasn't got better in his years on the list, trade him while he has an inflated value and some good finals performances behind him.

DOG GOD
20-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Delist:

Wight, Skipper, Shaw, White

Trade:

Addison, O'Keefe, Lynch

Retire:

Welsh, Eagleton

Agree with all this JH40....shouldnt be far off the mark i dont think.

DOG GOD
20-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Traded:
Minson traded to Port, this is a big risk but why not punt that Everitt or Roughead can cover and if necessary recruit someone like C Cloke for cheap cover
Mitch Hahn traded while he has some value, with Hall and one of Grant, Everitt or Roughead coming in, this leaves no room for Mitch

Our drafting should look to address skilful and speedy, need to recruit another Harbrow type, preferably a crumbing forward version, as Harbrow looks like taking over from Gilbee
If Port and Burgoyne wanted to look at Griffin for Burgoyne (and whatever required to balance then do it). Griffin can't kick and is hasn't got better in his years on the list, trade him while he has an inflated value and some good finals performances behind him.

Surely not. NO WAY would i give up GRIFF for Burger (even though i am a fan).
And i would rather have Minson on the list than CCloke.

AndrewP6
20-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Traded:

I'd prefer to keep Minno..

If Port and Burgoyne wanted to look at Griffin for Burgoyne (and whatever required to balance then do it). [B]Griffin can't kick and is hasn't got better in his years on the list, trade him while he has an inflated value and some good finals performances behind him.
Seriously? If he can't kick and hasn't improved, where've the good finals performances come from?

Remi Moses
20-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Blimey Cameron Cloke can't kick and moves like a 90 y/o when the ball hits the turf:rolleyes:

Swoop
20-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Addison is an interesting one, it would appear in the past 12 months Ward, Reid and even Wood have overtaken him in the pecking order.

In terms of trading, would we get anything of value for him?

If he stays on the list, what position will he need to make his own and more importantly, will he be able to force himself into our best 22 in that position?

bulldogtragic
20-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Addison is an interesting one, it would appear in the past 12 months Ward, Reid and even Wood have overtaken him in the pecking order.

If he stays on the list, what position will he need to make his own and more importantly, will he be able to force himself into our best 22 in that position?
DFA is a depth player for mine. His trade value is nil, but when called upon he does his job. I think you need someone like him on the list.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 09:39 PM
DFA is a depth player for mine. His trade value is nil, but when called upon he does his job. I think you need someone like him on the list.

When you become a depth player at 21 years old, i think there is a big problem.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2009, 09:44 PM
When you become a depth player at 21 years old, i think there is a big problem.
I don't think his depth because he is no good, i think he is depth because we have so many good players who can play his position or atleast rotate through his position. I think he could go to a number of other clubs and get a regular game. If he wants a regular game in the RW&B then he needs to imrpove. But when called up he does ok, when his like teammates find form he goes back. So i have no issue with him retaining his spot on the list, plus he would only attract a 4th round pick. So i think DFA offers more than the trade and offers something to the list and the team when he plays. DFA to stay for mine.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't think his depth because he is no good, i think he is depth because we have so many good players who can play his position or atleast rotate through his position. I think he could go to a number of other clubs and get a regular game. If he wants a regular game in the RW&B then he needs to imrpove. But when called up he does ok, when his like teammates find form he goes back. So i have no issue with him retaining his spot on the list, plus he would only attract a 4th round pick. So i think DFA offers more than the trade and offers something to the list and the team when he plays. DFA to stay for mine.

Sorry, misunderstood what you were saying.

He does do his job majority of the time, but i think our team has now gone beyond that. Especially when playing in positions as Dylan does, across half back or in the forward line. His skills at the moment just aren't up to being in our best 22, his courage, toughness & 1% things are very good, no one can deny that. But these days (in our team especially) you need to be able to use the ball, as good as you defend on an opponent. This is why i look at Friday nights game, and think Tim Callan might struggle next season.

If we got a 4th round pick, there is every chance you could get a player of Dylans credentials plus more. Someone who won't shirk the issue, but can use the ball extremely well. Easton Wood is a prime example in my eyes, picked up at pick 43. Or you could even take it one step further, and say Ryan Hargrave with pick 66.

BulldogBelle
20-09-2009, 10:00 PM
DFA to stay

The guy needs to improve his disposal, and his endurance, and he could be in our top 15 players

He reads the play quite well, his attack on the football is exceptional, rarely is beaten 1 on 1, can find the football, has played OK forward and back, does everything that is expected of him etc

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Retire

Welsh and EAgleton to retire

Delist

Wight, Skipper, Shaw and White and possibly Mulligan

Addison and O'keefe trade bait to Sydney

Draft

Barry Hall

Upgrade
Picken

FrediKanoute
21-09-2009, 01:36 AM
Retirements

1. Welsh
2. Eagleton

Delisting

1. Wight
2. Skipper
3. O'shea

Trade Bait

1. Addison - reckon his oppotunities with us are limited and he has been passed by guys like Reid, Callan, and to a lesser extent Wood.
2. Tiller - Similar to Addison.
3. O'Keefe - if the rumours he is wanted are true...o/w delist
4. Everitt - reluctant trade, but if the deal is right then so be it.

I really wouldn't go beyond this though. We were not that far away and cutting depth from the list just makes us more vulnerable. We were lucky during the year that we really didn't have too many long term injuries.

FrediKanoute
21-09-2009, 01:39 AM
DFA to stay

The guy needs to improve his disposal, and his endurance, and he could be in our top 15 players

He reads the play quite well, his attack on the football is exceptional, rarely is beaten 1 on 1, can find the football, has played OK forward and back, does everything that is expected of him etc

Maybe, but who is going to displace? There is not one player in the 22 who lost a prelim on Friday night that Addison would be capable of replacing as a permanent, long term option. His disposal is not good enough to play as a midfielder; his movement is not good enough to play on small defenders; he is not capable of playing as a forward.

Where do we play Addison? I love his attack on the footy, but sometimes its just not enough and he may do well to pursue his footy elsewhere.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 01:57 AM
Retire: Welsh
Delist: Wight, Skipper, O'Shea
Trade Bait: Nil. (Don't want any players to be traded, especially Everitt)

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Maybe, but who is going to displace? There is not one player in the 22 who lost a prelim on Friday night that Addison would be capable of replacing as a permanent, long term option. His disposal is not good enough to play as a midfielder; his movement is not good enough to play on small defenders; he is not capable of playing as a forward.

Where do we play Addison? I love his attack on the footy, but sometimes its just not enough and he may do well to pursue his footy elsewhere.

You mean, like Brett Kirk?

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 12:58 PM

In my view he is a better player than Callan and shows alot more when I see Callan with the ball I fear he will turn it over. But when I see Addison with the ball i'm alot more confident in him. I see him being played as a defensive Half Forward and if he gets fitter being pushed into the Midfield

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 02:46 PM
In my view he is a better player than Callan and shows alot more when I see Callan with the ball I fear he will turn it over. But when I see Addison with the ball i'm alot more confident in him. I see him being played as a defensive Half Forward and if he gets fitter being pushed into the Midfield

Addison is not a better player than Callan. Addison turns the ball over just as much as Callan. Addison turns like the Queen Mary.

Go_Dogs
21-09-2009, 02:47 PM

I think he needs to get super fit and look to play a tagger/inside extractor role. His decision making which has been a weakness has not improved significantly yet. He's honest enough to play a role in the side though, and his contested work and attack on the ball and body can never be questioned.

He may not end up much more than an honest battler, but in my opinion at least he still has the potential to be better than that.

Certainly wouldn't get any trade value out of him.

Mantis
21-09-2009, 02:54 PM
I think he needs to get super fit and look to play a tagger/inside extractor role. His decision making which has been a weakness has not improved significantly yet. He's honest enough to play a role in the side though, and his contested work and attack on the ball and body can never be questioned.

He may not end up much more than an honest battler, but in my opinion at least he still has the potential to be better than that.

Certainly wouldn't get any trade value out of him.

We already have Picken, Cross & Boyd playing these roles and I wouldn't think Dylan adds anything new that these 3 don't already bring to the team.

Go_Dogs
21-09-2009, 03:03 PM
We already have Picken, Cross & Boyd playing these roles and I wouldn't think Dylan adds anything new that these 3 don't already bring to the team.

Yep, he's a long way back at the moment, no denying it.

Are you thinking delisting, or if not, what role would you be grooming him for?

Mantis
21-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Are you thinking delisting, or if not, what role would you be grooming him for?

He signed a new contract just last month so obviously the club sees him in their plans??

Personally I'm not sure where he fits in as he doesn't get his hands on the ball enough to play in the midfield and perhaps isn't agile enough to play in defence.

He will no doubt get an opportunity to play a number of roles next year, but if he can't make one his own he might be in trouble and perhaps headed to the GC.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 03:18 PM
With the way the game is moving (low scoring etc etc), tough as nails stoppage players are becoming worth their weight in gold.

If Dylan can nail down the type of fanatical fitness base Brett Kirk has, he has all the tools (I think) of just being that hard as nails in-and-under, leader type. Cross and Boydy won't be around forever, and in any case Ward and Boyd are more damaging 'in-between' anyway rather than purely 'inside'.

Go_Dogs
21-09-2009, 03:22 PM
He signed a new contract just last month so obviously the club sees him in their plans??

Personally I'm not sure where he fits in as he doesn't get his hands on the ball enough to play in the midfield and perhaps isn't agile enough to play in defence.

He will no doubt get an opportunity to play a number of roles next year, but if he can't make one his own he might be in trouble and perhaps headed to the GC.

Yep, seems about right. Going to be a make or break year for a number of players next season as our list management decisions will get tougher and tougher.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 03:38 PM
considering the article in the australian about everitt being "almost certain to change clubs" i'm surprised his name hasn't been mentioned much as trade bait. personally i'd like him to stay, and think he should be used as a forward next year. Anyway, back to the topic on hand.

Retirements:

Welsh (good first year, hampered with injury and average form this year)

Eagleton: (been good but doesn't stand up enough in big games. plus he's old and i think it's time to gives the likes Reid and Wood more chances)

Delistings:

Wight (another dud tall)

Skipper (with Cordy and Roughead being drafted last year has no hope of getting a game)

O'shea (don't really know anything about him except seems injury prone and we have better tall defenders ahead of him anyway)

Odds are some of the rookies will be delisted (probably the rucks) but don't know enough about them really.

mighty_west
21-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Retire : Welsh, Eagleton

Delistings : Skipper, Wight, O'Shea, Lynch

Upgrade : Picken

Rookies cut : White, Mulligan [Give Shaw another year]

Trade bait : Everitt, Addison, O'Keefe, Callan, Tiller

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 04:12 PM
With the way the game is moving (low scoring etc etc), tough as nails stoppage players are becoming worth their weight in gold.

If Dylan can nail down the type of fanatical fitness base Brett Kirk has, he has all the tools (I think) of just being that hard as nails in-and-under, leader type. Cross and Boydy won't be around forever, and in any case Ward and Boyd are more damaging 'in-between' anyway rather than purely 'inside'.

I agree. I think he can be a superior run-with player to Cross who lacks the pace to go with the speed merchants.

Addison gives the impresion of single-mindedness, the first requirement in that role.

Cross is better served in the Scott West role of extraction rather than locking down an opposition player

Mantis
21-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Cross is better served in the Scott West role of extraction rather than locking down an opposition player

But Cross doesn't have the clean hands that West had which is why he spends much time outside the centre square.

Decisions need to be made on these 'tough-nut' types because at the moment we have too many when you throw Reid into the mix who will demand a position in our team next year.

strebla
21-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Reid from my understanding is yet to sign so maybe the decision will be taken out of our hands!!

Sedat
21-09-2009, 04:43 PM
After having a good finish to the season, Mitch Hahn's trade worth would be as high as it will ever be for the rest of his career. If we are serious about improving the list, I would see what he is worth in the open market.

Addo is an interesting one. Rocket absolutely loves his hardness. But he has definitely regressed in 2009 compared to the strides he made last season. Of just the fringe players of a similar ilk, all of Callan, Reid, Picken and Tiller would be ahead of him IMO. It certainly won't hurt to see what his worth out there is.

Go_Dogs
21-09-2009, 05:37 PM
But Cross doesn't have the clean hands that West had which is why he spends much time outside the centre square.

Decisions need to be made on these 'tough-nut' types because at the moment we have too many when you throw Reid into the mix who will demand a position in our team next year.

Agree regarding Crossy. At times he uses the hands well and releases a player into space, but he's a long way behind what Westy could do.

The thing about Boyd, Ward and Reid as Lantern mentioned in that they can play inside and out, perhaps Boyd and Ward have shown more in this regard than Reid, but still. Picken can also play in a variety of positions.

If you have a look through the Geelong side, and the St Kilda side, they have a lot of honest performers who are hard at the contested ball and with their defensive efforts, but really wouldn't be classed better than honest with regards to their skills. These types are an important component to any side, and I think having some depth in this regard is not necessarily a bad thing. It's no surprise that our improvement over the past few seasons has revolved around us becoming harder and better inside, and the types of players that we have moved on have been more outside types.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 05:49 PM

I said the West role.

No he doesn't have the hand skills of West - few players have but he is in and under and an important member of the side in that role.

His reputation has not been built as a run-with player which is where I see Addison.

Cross is well ahead of the other hard nuts at this stage of his and their careers

GVGjr
21-09-2009, 06:48 PM

Reid, Boyd and Cross have a bit of sameness about them especially if they are all played in the midfield. I think we can understand if Reid was testing the waters elsewhere.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 07:47 PM
I think Reid will turn out a lot different to Boyd & Cross, he is a different type of player.

Reid in my eyes will be a lot like Cooney & Griffen, not in terms of speed & agility. But in terms of playing different roles, as in going up forward. Reid has the height & marking ability to be able to play as a pinch hitter in the forward 50. His hands are very strong over head, and he has the height & leap to trouble teams down the track.

Would really like to see him stay, because i think he will be an enormous talent.

BulldogBelle
21-09-2009, 07:57 PM

Agree. But.....I would rather have more 'tough nuts' and inside players in the team than outside players

Its pretty easy for an inside player to play and outside role, providing he knows where to run to, and have the endurance and the will to d the running....

I think Addison should stay personally as he is still developing

anfo27
21-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Delisted
Welsh:no room for Scotty & Hall in the one team
Wight
Skipper
Lynch:can't see how a guy playing most of the year @ Willi 2nds can stay on the list

Not sure about eagle, he is only 30 & not sure who could take his role.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 08:14 PM
[/B]
Its pretty easy for an inside player to play and outside role, providing he knows where to run to, and have the endurance and the will to d the running....

How does an inside player play an outside role well if he can't kick?

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 09:07 PM
How does an inside player play an outside role well if he can't kick?

Learn to handball 50m? :p

Jasper
21-09-2009, 09:22 PM
After having a good finish to the season, Mitch Hahn's trade worth would be as high as it will ever be for the rest of his career. If we are serious about improving the list, I would see what he is worth in the open market.

Addo is an interesting one. Rocket absolutely loves his hardness. But he has definitely regressed in 2009 compared to the strides he made last season. Of just the fringe players of a similar ilk, all of Callan, Reid, Picken and Tiller would be ahead of him IMO. It certainly won't hurt to see what his worth out there is.

Totally agree if we can get somethign for Mitch now is the time, Hall wiould perform his role far better.

FrediKanoute
22-09-2009, 05:00 AM
You mean, like Brett Kirk?

Exactly the guy I had in mind when I thought that Sydney may be interested. Look there is no denying that Addison may have some upside, but certainly if another team, like Sydney saw some value in him, I think we would do well to trade him. In the short to medium term he is unlikely to play regular football, unless we have injuries. Its a win win if we trade him and get a pick we can use on a younger player to develop.

Bulldog Joe
22-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Delist
Skipper
Wight
Lynch
O'Shea
Shaw
Mulligan
White

Note rookies must be delisted after 2 years if not upgraded - Note that they can be relisted and would not object to relisting as rookies for anyone of the younger delisting.

Retire
Welsh
Aker or Eagle - perhaps

Upgrade
Picken

Tradeable
Callan
Tiller
Everitt or Grant - Think one needs to go
O'Keefe

Those listed by others
Addison - required - needs to build endurance but remember we need to replace Boyd and Cross over the next 2 to 5 years and Dylan is ahead of where they were at 21.

Minson - Absolutely Required - will be number one ruck in 2011

Hahn - not averse to trading Mitch but probably need to cover until one of the young talls come through. Not sure of his contract status, but considering that we lose one uncontracted to Gold Coast, perhaps Mitch would be the ideal player to go.

MrMahatma
22-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I'd shop:

Hahn
Addison
Tiller
Eagle
Minson

Welsh, Skipper, Lynch, Wight, O'Shea all delisted.

Get BBBBH and get him and J Grant as training partners. I honestly believe that Aker has brought a lot of professionalism to our club just by being there, and our mids like Boyd have learnt a lot from him - I think having a gun, albeit older, key forward will help the young guys a lot.

Julie C
22-09-2009, 02:46 PM
A lot of people are saying that Skipper should go. If Hudson or Minson go down (or Will is traded) and Everitt is traded, are Roughead or Cordy up to the challenge for 2010. I think Skipper deserves one more year to give him a go & to cover the gap between the current 2 & the next generation.

Mantis
22-09-2009, 02:54 PM
A lot of people are saying that Skipper should go. If Hudson or Minson go down (or Will is traded) and Everitt is traded, are Roughead or Cordy up to the challenge for 2010. I think Skipper deserves one more year to give him a go & to cover the gap between the current 2 & the next generation.

Skipper will be 27 at the start of next year and has played one senior game in 2 years and just 45 in 9 years.

At some point in time we have to cut our ties with Skip and there is no time like the present.

Desipura
22-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Skipper will be 27 at the start of next year and has played one senior game in 2 years and just 45 in 9 years.

Gee you are heartless, one year short off getting life membership!:D

LostDoggy
22-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Reid, Boyd and Cross have a bit of sameness about them especially if they are all played in the midfield. I think we can understand if Reid was testing the waters elsewhere.

Why would there be a need to do that?

You're looking at this from the perspective of playing 22 players for the year and also playing 100% of game time

There is absolutely no reason that Reid, Boyd and Cross could not play in the same side - Boyd is outside as much as inside these days and you need at least two inside players at all times.

This allows for another of this type when considering bench time.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 03:17 PM
It's now official the Skipper, Wight, O''Shea and Scotty Welsh won't' be at the club next year

The Underdog
23-09-2009, 04:31 PM
It's now official the Skipper, Wight, O''Shea and Scotty Welsh won't' be at the club next year

Official because of the article in the Hun or do you have another source?
It's not up on the website as of yet or on the AFL site.

LostDoggy
23-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Official because of the article in the Hun or do you have another source?
It's not up on the website as of yet or on the AFL site.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/scott-welshs-exit-opens-door-for-barry-hall/story-e6frf8w6-1225778367499

Jasper
23-09-2009, 05:05 PM
I think Reid will turn out a lot different to Boyd & Cross, he is a different type of player.

Reid in my eyes will be a lot like Cooney & Griffen, not in terms of speed & agility. But in terms of playing different roles, as in going up forward. Reid has the height & marking ability to be able to play as a pinch hitter in the forward 50. His hands are very strong over head, and he has the height & leap to trouble teams down the track.

Would really like to see him stay, because i think he will be an enormous talent.

I see Reid in more the Scott West Mold he has lightning quick hands and is hard as nails. His trap and handball to Cooney in the Geelong rd 21 game is a great example of his smarts and ability by hand.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-09-2009, 05:05 PM
It's interesting how a number of sources within the club (Smorgan, Fantasia) have said we'll be 'very aggressive' during trade week. My question is in what way? We've got a pretty talented list that certainly needs tinkering. One could argue signing Barry Hall might be about all we need, but clearly the club has a number of other ideas. Will that involve trading away our picks or players?

Whilst I am excited about our prospects of doing well in trade week (Rocket has a perfect record), I hope we don't blow our future away.

The Underdog
23-09-2009, 05:40 PM
It's interesting how a number of sources within the club (Smorgan, Fantasia) have said we'll be 'very aggressive' during trade week. My question is in what way? We've got a pretty talented list that certainly needs tinkering. One could argue signing Barry Hall might be about all we need, but clearly the club has a number of other ideas. Will that involve trading away our picks or players?

Whilst I am excited about our prospects of doing well in trade week (Rocket has a perfect record), I hope we don't blow our future away.

I seem to remember something similiar being said last year (Smorgon particularly), then the reality of trade week struck.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I seem to remember something similiar being said last year (Smorgon particularly), then the reality of trade week struck.

They've always said we'll be actively seeking a KPF during trade week, but I'm not so sure they've ever said we'll be very aggressive and mentioned that we need to address other areas of our list too.

Time will tell in any case!

Doc26
23-09-2009, 09:19 PM
It's interesting how a number of sources within the club (Smorgan, Fantasia) have said we'll be 'very aggressive' during trade week.

maybe murph up for a trade for a forward who can land an effective disposal. semi joke. hopefully he can work on his kicking over the pre season as is a let down for a forward particularly one who is a strong lead up marking forward. more seriously, would gia have any currency out there - if for nothing else but to reduce my frustration level each week ?

Popcorn Chicken
23-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Trade

Callan and Tiller

Delist

Wight Lynch O'Shae and Big Skip

Retire

Welsh The Bald Eagle

The Coon Dog
23-09-2009, 10:00 PM
maybe murph up for a trade for a forward who can land an effective disposal. semi joke. hopefully he can work on his kicking over the pre season as is a let down for a forward particularly one who is a strong lead up marking forward. more seriously, would gia have any currency out there - if for nothing else but to reduce my frustration level each week ?

Just on Murph, he won't be doing too much work on anything over pre season. He's going to spend 4 months getting his knee right (see: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/broken-bulldog-dale-morrisdidnt-crack/story-e6frf9vx-1225777200738).

Scorlibo
23-09-2009, 10:10 PM

Murph and Gia are two of the best disposers of the footy on the WB list. :confused:

The Underdog
23-09-2009, 10:16 PM

I think you'll find Murph's kicking was a result of his knee being completely ****ed. If you think he's a bad kick go back to his pass to Josh Hill in the round 21 game vs Geelong. It was probably the best pass I saw all year. I don't know wha you expect from either of these guys but without them we would have created a lot fewer goals this year.

Mantis
23-09-2009, 10:19 PM

Welcome to WOOF rohanj.

Unless you offer up something worth reading next time I hope you exit via the door you came in.

Doc26
23-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Gia and disposal effectiveness is not where my frustration is centred more to do with contested ball and going to ground. And if Murphy particularly since he did is knee is still being rated as a good user of the ball I'm watching a different match. In fact i often laugh at the so called experts referring to murph as having sublime skills - this maybe true for his lead and marking but not for his kicking effectiveness.

The Pie Man
23-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I thought Murph had his best game of the series last Friday, and was happy he continued to battle on with the knee.

After finding out how long he now has to sit out, and that Morris was playing with an effing broken leg....respect.

I don't get the perceptions about Gia - and I'm one to have had my whipping boy / scapegoats over the years

Doc26
23-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Unless you offer up something worth reading next time I hope you exit via the door you came in.

Wow guys. Think I might just exit that door. Apologies for any offence as was not intended.

Enjoy youselves.

Go Dogs

Mantis
23-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Wow guys. Think I might just exit that door. Apologies for any offence as was not intended.

Enjoy youselves.

Go Dogs

I was only joking... well sort of.

Murphy's knee is buggered, he has played with injections for much of the year meaning he has reduced feeling in his leg which has obviously effected his kicking.

Gia is slow and tries to hide this by going to ground in the contest. However he is courageous and is generally a good user of the ball.

lemmon
23-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Just on Murph, he won't be doing too much work on anything over pre season. He's going to spend 4 months getting his knee right (see: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/broken-bulldog-dale-morrisdidnt-crack/story-e6frf9vx-1225777200738).

Reading that article makes you realise how big the toll of a full AFL season is on the body, I doubt I would be able to walk with a lot of those injuries :o

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Reading that article makes you realise how big the toll of a full AFL season is on the body, I doubt I would be able to walk with a lot of those injuries :o

Soft. :D

EasternWest
24-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Gia and disposal effectiveness is not where my frustration is centred more to do with contested ball and going to ground. And if Murphy particularly since he did is knee is still being rated as a good user of the ball I'm watching a different match. In fact i often laugh at the so called experts referring to murph as having sublime skills - this maybe true for his lead and marking but not for his kicking effectiveness.

Hi rohanj,

I heard a while back that with all the injections, Murphy could hardly feel his foot at times. This I think would excuse some of his errant kicks. I don't agree with you here, but you're entitled to your opinion. Disregard what some others might say. There'll always be those that shoot you down simply because your opinion is different to theirs. Stick around, there's lots of good info here.

dfa4pm

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 12:10 PM
And if you do have an opinion, make sure you back it up....or you'll be asked to leave ;)

mighty_west
24-09-2009, 12:26 PM
And if you do have an opinion, make sure you back it up....or you'll be asked to leave ;)

Well i don't see a point of having a strong opinion on something, and not being able to back up why you feel a certain way about something, otherwise your just kidding yourself really...........IMO of course, and if people don't share your opinions, no need to get all sooky about them! ;)

I look forward to seeing players like Murph, Hahn, Johnno, even Joshy Hill, there have been times we have had to bomb it long to Hill, all of a sudden having that monster tall up forward, having his presence, and boy, it is rather big with Barry, let's just hope we can get a system going and work with a new structure of having that focal point, and not trying to rely on him too often, i look forward to training reports over the pre season.

EasternWest
24-09-2009, 12:33 PM

Now that, I do agree with.

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi rohanj,

I heard a while back that with all the injections, Murphy could hardly feel his foot at times. This I think would excuse some of his errant kicks. I don't agree with you here, but you're entitled to your opinion. Disregard what some others might say. There'll always be those that shoot you down simply because your opinion is different to theirs. Stick around, there's lots of good info here.

dfa4pm

Hang on, so you think we're dickheads, but you want to rape us for our inside goss?

Doc26
24-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Hang on, so you think we're dickheads, but you want to rape us for our inside goss?

Just like watching 'Footy Classified'

For what it's worth Murph is a wonderful footballer but in 2009 was crippled by his patella and showed great courage to simply put himself up each week for selection. Is a great shame that he will miss a great chunk of the pre-season again as the so called off season is now more critical than ever aka the Coon Dog this year. Hopefully his knee will come good after a solid rest and he can get back to his most effective best.

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 04:08 PM

Geez, then who's equivalent of Hutchy on WOOF???!;)

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 04:09 PM

Not really -- we can tell you to f*** off here.

The Coon Dog
24-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Rohanj, just so you know, Mantis' bark is worse than his bite.;)

Desipura
24-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Really?????? He scares me. :D

Doc26
24-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Rohanj, just so you know, Mantis' bark is worse than his bite.

Ooh a bit like Big Wil then ;)

Not really -- we can tell you to f*** off here.

Aah yes know about that one. And that's with a capital 'F' :)

The Underdog
24-09-2009, 04:48 PM

Now Ernie on the other hand...

strebla
24-09-2009, 05:07 PM
What was this thread about again!!!!

LostDoggy
24-09-2009, 05:28 PM

How rohanj is milking us for juice and we want to cuddle him to death for it.

Doc26
24-09-2009, 05:53 PM

Fairpoint. Delist: Mantis :) Retain: Andrejs - He wasn't given the #3 on sentiment and will come good again plus we can't give Carlton a leg up with Waite coming back in '10

EasternWest
24-09-2009, 06:11 PM

Not at all. I'm a relatively new poster myself. I didn't call anyone a dickhead, and I'm complimeting the members of the board for their insight and information, not raping for goss. But there are always people who will use acerbic tones to prove their point. Fair enough, that's them. Myself, I'm more of an agree to disagree person.

Why can't we all just get along? ;)

Popcorn Chicken
24-09-2009, 08:26 PM
I thought this Thread was about list managment not which member we hate the most

ledge
25-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Maybe its woof list management?

LostDoggy
25-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I see Reid in more the Scott West Mold he has lightning quick hands and is hard as nails. His trap and handball to Cooney in the Geelong rd 21 game is a great example of his smarts and ability by hand.

I agree totally, but like i said in my post.

I also see him being able have a role up forward, he has all the tools to worry defenders.

LostDoggy
26-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Maybe its woof list management?

I like. ;)

You get another four years at 400,000k per year. I'll take a 350,000k performance-based contract to kick all our goals, and Sockeye gets shunted onto the vet's list and given the leftover space in the salary cap.

Sockeye Salmon
26-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I like. ;)

You get another four years at 400,000k per year. I'll take a 350,000k performance-based contract to kick all our goals, and Sockeye gets shunted onto the vet's list and given the leftover space in the salary cap.

Yikes!!!

EJ Smith forced into retirement!!!!!

Throughandthrough
30-09-2009, 07:12 PM
It's interesting how a number of sources within the club (Smorgan,..... ) .

Who is this Smorgan person of whom you speak?

The Bulldogs Bite
30-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Who is this Smorgan person of whom you speak?

Probably not the best way to correct a spelling mistake when you counter it with that.

Throughandthrough
30-09-2009, 07:58 PM
It sh*ts me when people spell his name wrong. If one of us got something from the Dogs with our name incorrect then we would all be screaming blue murder.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-09-2009, 08:08 PM
It sh*ts me when people spell his name wrong. If one of us got something from the Dogs with our name incorrect then we would all be screaming blue murder.

It's very petty.

I'll pay close attention to your posts from now on, though.

There's sure to be a mistake or two. :)

LostDoggy
01-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Regarding delistings, M Lynch name has not come up.

Has been on the list for 3 yrs or so and had only played 2 games.

Does the coaching staff see somthing that we can't?

GVGjr
01-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Regarding delistings, M Lynch name has not come up.

Has been on the list for 3 yrs or so and had only played 2 games.

Does the coaching staff see somthing that we can't?

They sure do but I think they are wrong. He hasn't done enough things right to warrant being maintained.

LostDoggy
01-10-2009, 08:27 AM
I remember Aka saying that Lynch will be a good player, and how hard he trains.

Lets hope that he has a fantastic pre season and have a break out 2010 season.

soupman
01-10-2009, 12:23 PM
With Lynch it's not so much what he has done but what he could be.

If we de-list him will the kid we draft in his place be any better? Probably not because they'll be around pick 68. Lynch however is a quick small forward (something we don't have at all) who has shown enough in the past to be selected. That is why he'll probably be retained.

bornadog
01-10-2009, 04:05 PM
AFL Retirements and delistings 2009 (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-retirements-and-delistings-2009/story-e6frf9kf-1225781122053)

by Staff Writers From: Herald Sun September 30, 2009 12:37PM

WHO'S quit, who's been axed from each of the AFL clubs so far this year, including rookie listed players.

ADELAIDE
None

BRISBANE

Retirements
TIM NOTTING
Born: October 21, 1978
Debut: 1998 Games: 208 Goals: 138
Honours: Premierships 2001, 2002.
Rising Star nominee 1999.

CARLTON
None

COLLINGWOOD

Retirements
MARTY CLARKE
Born: November 13, 1987
Debut: 2007
Games: 46 Goals: 16
Honours: AFL Rising Star nominee 2007.

ANTHONY ROCCA
Born: August 15, 1977
U18/Sydney

Debut: 1995
Games: 242 Goals: 415
Honours: Club leading goalkicker 2000, 2002, 2006-07. No.2 draft pick 1994 (Sydney).
Rookie list
KEVIN DYAS

ESSENDON

Retirements
MATTHEW LLOYD
Born: April 16, 1978
Games: 270 Goals: 926
Honours: Premiership 2000, Coleman Medal 2000, 2002-03, All-Australian 1998-2001, 2003, International Rules series 1998, 2001, club leading goalkicker 1997-2005, 2007-08, Rising Star nominee 1996, pre-season premiership 2000, Essendon captain 2006-09.

SCOTT LUCAS
Born: December 30, 1977
Debut: 1996
Games: 270 Goals: 471
Honours: Premiership 2000, best-and-fairest 2003.

Rookie list
BRYCE CARROLL
THOMAS GERMAN
KADE KLEMPE

FREMANTLE

Retirements
ANDREW BROWNE

Delistings
ADAM CAMPBELL
JOSH HEAD
DANIEL GILMORE

Rookie list
BRENT CONNOLLY
LUKE PRATT

GEELONG

Delistings
MATTHEW EGAN
Born: July 7, 1983
Debut: 2005
Games: 59 Goals: 1
Honours: All-Australian 2007,
pre-season premiership 2006.

HAWTHORN

Retirements
TIM BOYLE
Born: January 28, 1984
Debut: 2005 Games: 31 Goals: 39.

STUART DEW
Born: August 18, 1979
Port Adelaide
Debut: 1997
Games: 206 Goals: 265
Honours: Premierships 2004 (Port Adelaide), 2008 (Hawthorn), pre-season premiership 2001-02 (Port Adelaide), (Port Adelaide) leading goalkicker 2002.

MELBOURNE

Retirements
PAUL WHEATLEY
Born: April 12, 1981
Debut: 2000 Games: 135 Goals: 33.

MATTHEW WHELAN
Born: November 13, 1979
Torrens (SA)
Debut: 2000 Games: 150 Goals: 15
Honours: Rising Star nominee 2000.

Delistings
RUSSELL ROBERTSON
Born: November 24, 1978
Games: 228 Goals: 428
Honours: Best-and-fairest 2003, leading club goalkicker 2001, 2005, 2007, Rising Star nominee 1998.

NORTH MELBOURNE

Retirements
SHANNON WATT
Born: November 26, 1980
Debut: 1998 Games: 155 Goals: 9.

ADAM SIMPSON
Born: February 16, 1976
Debut: 1995 Games: 306 Goals: 83
Honours: Premierships 1996, 1999, club captain 2004-08, best-and-fairest 2002, All-Australian 2002, Rising Star nominee 1996, pre-season premiership 1998.

PORT ADELAIDE

Retirements
PETER BURGOYNE
Born: January 29, 1978
Debut: 1997 Games: 240 Goals: 193
Honours: Premiership 2004, pre-season premiership 2001-02.

TOBY THURSTANS
Born: August 14, 1980
Debut: 2003 Games: 110 Goals: 55.

BRENDON LADE
Born: July 10, 1976
Debut: 1997 Games: 234 Goals: 182
Honours: Premiership 2004, All-Australian 2006-07, best-and-fairest 2006, Rising Star nominee 1997, preseason premiership 2002.

RICHMOND

Retirements
KANE JOHNSON
Born: March 15, 1978
Debut: 1996 Games: 220 Goals: 76
Honours: Premierships (Adelaide) 1997-98, best-and-fairest (Richmond) 2006, Richmond captain 2004-08, Rising Star nominee 1997.

JOEL BOWDEN
Born: June 21, 1978
Debut: 1996 Games: 265 Goals: 174
Honours: Best-and-fairest 2004-05, All-Australian 2005-06, Rising Star nominee 1997.

Delistings
MARK COUGHLAN
Born: April 20, 1982
Debut: 2001
Games: 92 Goals: 39
Honours: Best-and-fairest 2003, Rising Star nominee 2002.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: February 10, 1978
Games: 219 Goals: 349
Honours: All-Australian 2000-01, leading goalkicker 2002-03 (Western Bulldogs).

ST KILDA

Retirements
MAX HUDGHTON
Born: September 2, 1976
West Brisbane
Games: 234 Goals: 14
Honours: International Rules series 2004.

JARRYD ALLEN

SYDNEY

Retirements
LEO BARRY
Born: May 19, 1977
Games: 237 Goals: 56
Honours: Premiership 2005, club co-captain 2005-08, All-Australian 2004-05.

JARED CROUCH
Born: March 5, 1978
Debut: 1998 Games: 223 Goals: 51
Honours: Premiership 2005, Rising Star nominee 1998.

MICHAEL O’LOUGHLIN
Born: February 20, 1977
Debut: 1995 Games: 303 Goals: 521
Honours: Premiership 2005, All- Australian 1997, 2000, best-and-fairest 1998, club leading goalkicker 2000-01, Rising Star nominee 1995, Fos Williams Medal 1998.

NIC FOSDIKE
Born: February 26, 1980
Debut: 1999 Games: 164 Goals: 66
Honours: Premiership 2005, 1st round draft pick 1998.

Delistings
BARRY HALL
Born: February 8, 1977
St Kilda
Games: 250 Goals: 611
Honours: Premiership 2005 (Sydney), Sydney co-captain 2005-07, Sydney best and-fairest 2004, All-Australian 2004-06, Sydney leading goalkicker 2002-08.

TADHG KENNELLY
Born: July 1, 1981
Debut: 2001
Games: 158 Goals: 29
Honours: Premiership 2005,
Rising Star nominee 2002.

Rookie list
BRENDAN MURPHY

WEST COAST

Retirements
ADAM HUNTER
Born: June 18, 1981
Debut: 2000 Games: 151 Goals: 86
Honours: Premiership 2006.

TYSON STENGLEIN
Born: July 16, 1980
Debut: 1999
Games: 208 Goals: 51
Honours: Premiership 2006 (West
Coast). Pre-season premiership 2003 (Adelaide).

DAVID WIRRPANDA
Born: August 3, 1979
Games: 227 Goals: 131
Honours: Premiership 2006, All-Australian 2005.

Delistings
CHAD FLETCHER
Born: August 30, 1979
Debut: 1999 Games: 179 Goals: 74
Honours: Premiership 2006, All-Australian 2004, IRS 2003.

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Retirements

SCOTT WELSH
Born: December 7, 1978
Melbourne/Adelaide
Games: 205 Goals: 363
Honours: Premiership 1999 (North Melbourne). Club leading goalkicker 2000, 2004 -05, 2007 (Adelaide).

Delistings
WAYDE SKIPPER
PAUL O’SHEA
CAMERON WIGHT

The Boy From Brasil
03-10-2009, 05:40 AM
With Lynch it's not so much what he has done but what he could be.

If we de-list him will the kid we draft in his place be any better? Probably not because they'll be around pick 68. Lynch however is a quick small forward (something we don't have at all) who has shown enough in the past to be selected. That is why he'll probably be retained.

I agree with this. Lynch might or might not have done enough to be retained. But with the two new teams coming in, young talent will be at a premium so it might be worth to keep him. We are also on the lookout for a small forward, so maybe with an increase in work ethic and rate, Lynch could be that player.

I would keep him on the list if we have the room. :)