PDA

View Full Version : Demonstrative Abuse?

hujsh
26-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Surely a Grand Final where we pit the two best teams of the year against each other shouldn't see a free kick awarded in the goal square for 'demonstrative abuse'. They can make these points in the season but it just taints the occasion in a GF.

It shouldn't matter today as the Hawkins goal shouldn't have been a goal either but surely this is BS.

comrade
26-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Terrible decision.

What is it with St Kilda receiving ridiculously soft free kicks in front of goals?

mighty_west
26-09-2009, 04:52 PM
It is a disgrace, however, what the hell was Milburn sooking about anyway, he was nowhere near it!

The Coon Dog
26-09-2009, 05:03 PM
How many free kicks have the umpires missed that should have been paid & how many have they paid that weren't?

If you supported either team I reckon you'd be going off your nut!

Milne, marks & gets a tap in the guts off Ling & goes to ground holding his head, please someone, anyone, give the filthy little bastard something to hold his head about!

bornadog
It is a disgrace, however, what the hell was Milburn sooking about anyway, he was nowhere near it!

Let him sook, but is that worth a free kick in front of goal? Bloody hell the AFL needs to have a real good look at themselves and the whole rules thing.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
it was a rank decision, but perhaps an even-upperer for the Hawkins "goal".

Max469
26-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Let both teams sook.

They have been the protected species all year - now they know what it is like.

comrade
26-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Some of the acting has been disgraceful today.

LostDoggy
26-09-2009, 05:29 PM
We all know, from experience, how far the umps and saints r up each others bums!! just Terrible & disgusting

Doc26
26-09-2009, 07:45 PM
The Dasher 'demonstrative abuse' decision was another take on over umpiring gone mad in the AFL.

The holding the ball / prior opportunity decision is also totally off the scale in being reasonable. A slight tug on a jumper when in possession that doesn't stop momentum or making a play for the ball and getting pinged by a leacher should be let go.

AndrewP6
26-09-2009, 07:58 PM
ANOTHER pathetic display by the monkeys... any doubt that they can influence the outcome of a match should be erased by now. Those guys are almost embarrassing. Swap them for some suburban umpires - they couldn't be much worse (and I bet they'd be less precious!)

AndrewP6
26-09-2009, 08:05 PM
The holding the ball / prior opportunity decision is also totally off the scale in being reasonable. A slight tug on a jumper when in possession that doesn't stop momentum or making a play for the ball and getting pinged by a leacher should be let go.

it is when your name is Ablett...

EasternWest
26-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Surely a Grand Final where we pit the two best teams of the year against each other shouldn't see a free kick awarded in the goal square for 'demonstrative abuse'. They can make these points in the season but it just taints the occasion in a GF.

It shouldn't matter today as the Hawkins goal shouldn't have been a goal either but surely this is BS.

I agree that the penalty was way too harsh but I don't think players should be permitted to intimidate goal umpires like Milburn did. But yeah, way too strong a penalty. If [I]absolutely[I] necessary to pay a free, take it back to the centre or something.

Also, did anyone else notice how quickly greedy little fatboy Schneider raced in to take the free kick? Your teammates still remember the easy ones you missed mate, you're fooling noone.

Suck it Saints.

AndrewP6
26-09-2009, 08:39 PM
If [I]absolutely[I] necessary to pay a free, take it back to the centre or something.
OR the umps could just suck it up...no one could begrudge Milburn a little tanty in the heat of the moment. Even if his spoil missed by about a foot! It's not like he thumped the guy or anything.

Suck it Saints.

Good call...

Topdog
27-09-2009, 02:13 AM
Horrible decision by an idiot of an umpire.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2009, 09:57 AM
How many free kicks have the umpires missed that should have been paid & how many have they paid that weren't?

Milne, marks & gets a tap in the guts off Ling & goes to ground holding his head, please someone, anyone, give the filthy little bastard something to hold his head about!
St Kilda were diving all day. Obviously McInerney has given a 'green light' to this behaviour and until it's stamped out, it will be a stain on our game.

And the decision was wrong. If it's so bad send him to the tribunal, give him weeks and fines. Don't gift another goal to the Saints. Although its counter intiuative, it really seemed to be rigged for two weeks with how many decisoons they had go their way and goals gifted to them in low scoring matches. The AFL may have to get he 'Masterchef' producers in next year to make sure of it.

Go_Dogs
27-09-2009, 11:23 AM
It was a bs free, but it made up for the Hawkins kick which brushed against the post at the other end and was called a goal.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2009, 11:29 AM
It was a bs free, but it made up for the Hawkins kick which brushed against the post at the other end and was called a goal.
Two wrongs don't make a right though. Just bad umpiring all round.

LostDoggy
27-09-2009, 11:53 AM

It makes me feel terrible. At least they got some sort of square up, we got diddly squat last week for a number of poor decisions.

Go_Dogs
27-09-2009, 11:57 AM

No doubt, 2 huge stuff ups, but I don't think either impacted on the end result.

I've been harping on about it for quite a few years now, but professional umpiring is the only way to go.

The Pie Man
27-09-2009, 12:20 PM
The Dasher 'demonstrative abuse' decision was another take on over umpiring gone mad in the AFL.

How bad was the Scarlett holding the ball? Possibly the worst call of the day

KT31
27-09-2009, 01:08 PM

Like Big Bad Bulldog Bazza brushed against Staker.

mjp
27-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Milburn has a career long reputation for going off at umpires and he really was carrying on a treat...The penalty was excessive but this is the sort of thing that they have been paying all year. To me it was very unlike the Lake/Riewoldt one from a week previous - that happens 10 times every game and is never paid (but I still wish Lake didn't do it).

There were a few tough calls in the Grand Final but nothing like the missed free kicks to Ward and Hudson from the week before, and none as egregious as the Lake on Riewoldt one.

The worst decision was the poster by Hawkins - terrible by the goal umpire.

As for all the negativity about the Saints, they are long-time battlers (much like us) with an even more tragic history...most wooden spoons etc. Surely if anyone can show empathy to their fans it should be us - why are so many people keen to run their noses in it?

bornadog
27-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Milburn has a career long reputation for going off at umpires and he really was carrying on a treat...The penalty was excessive but this is the sort of thing that they have been paying all year. To me it was very unlike the Lake/Riewoldt one from a week previous - that happens 10 times every game and is never paid (but I still wish Lake didn't do it).

There were a few tough calls in the Grand Final but nothing like the missed free kicks to Ward and Hudson from the week before, and none as egregious as the Lake on Riewoldt one.

The worst decision was the poster by Hawkins - terrible by the goal umpire.

As for all the negativity about the Saints, they are long-time battlers (much like us) with an even more tragic history...most wooden spoons etc. Surely if anyone can show empathy to their fans it should be us - why are so many people keen to run their noses in it?

I guess we don't want to be the only club in Melbourne with one premiership.

comrade
27-09-2009, 03:20 PM
I guess we don't want to be the only club in Melbourne with one premiership.

That coupled with the arm chair ride they got last week, though I think it's ridiculous to rub their face in it.

Just enjoy it, quietly :)

soupman
27-09-2009, 03:20 PM

It's weird, I was going for them until 15 minutes in, when their playing up of the slightest contact pissed me off no end and I swapped to Geelong.

I do sympathise with them, because I know what it feels like, but in my experience many of their supporters are more of the Hawthorn type (arrogant, loud bandwagoners), and for that it makes it a bit harder to want them to win. Having some of my most hated players in the league in Milne and Schneider though also doesn't help, and Dawson makes himself a target. With that Hawkins intercept in the goalsquare I called that before it happened.

But the acting yesterday was atrocious, especially when Schneider got brushed on his back and dropped to his knees holding it.

LostDoggy
27-09-2009, 03:23 PM

ROFL Right on CD, I hate that guy, I call him "ratboy", & was more than pleased when he blew three chances in the 3rd quarter... :D

Max469
27-09-2009, 03:31 PM
That coupled with the arm chair ride they got last week, though I think it's ridiculous to rub their face in it.

Just enjoy it, quietly.

I got hammered all weak by both St Kilda and other supporters who like to knock our boys about :

If you had a forward - you would have won

If only you had kicked straight.

Well Hello St Kilda - welcome to our world.

Their supporters are whiny, sooky, rude, arrogant.

Yes, do feel the empathy in regards to the longevity of their time between flags, but sorry, their supporters have given me the shites for over 25 years.

Feel for some of the players - it would be devastating for them - multiply what our boys and what we were feeling last week by 10 - it is the Big One after all.

Feel for some very good friends of mine as they love their boys as much as we do ours.

Do they deserve the crap that our supporters have given them on the other board - definitely not.

LostDoggy
27-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Surely if anyone can show empathy to their fans it should be us - why are so many people keen to run their noses in it?

I think its a number of things,

Grant Thomas is a big one, a lot of dogs supporters have a long memories. His comments in the media over the last couple of years have been very negative about our club. One of the guys I work with who is a doggies man says this is the main reason why he wanted Geelong to win.

Also, the Prelim final & the controverstial decisions meant that a lot of our supporters felt robbed. We came close to a GF again, but to have umpiring decisions made against us on the strength of some dubious play acting, cuts pretty deep. It was only a week ago and there are probably a lot of us who are still fuming about that.

But, back on topic, Milburn was wrong in claiming the touch, but no way should it have been another shot at goal. Does anyone know if he was warned to stop arguing before the free was given? If he was given a warning then i would have no problem with the free.

KT31
27-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by mjp
Surely if anyone can show empathy to their fans it should be us - why are so many people keen to run their noses in it?

The truth of it all is .

It would be lonely being at the bottom with only one Premiership.

KT31
27-09-2009, 03:53 PM

The truth of it all is .

It would be lonely being at the bottom with only one Premiership.

mjp
27-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Misery loves company?

I guess - not sure I feel any better today after the Saints lost than I would have if they had won. I am still struggling with last weeks result and a little bit bitter that we weren't involved - but if you watch the game again (if you have the heart) they took some half chances (the Hayes goal in particular) that we were unable to grab and that's all she wrote.

The lionising of Riewoldt during grand final week? Sure, that was irritating but Taylor did a hell of a job on him yesterday and - whilst the conditions helped - his efforts may have been enough to win Geelong the game.

I dont know - throwing vitriol at the Saints fans doesn't sit right with me...

EasternWest
27-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Misery loves company?

I guess - not sure I feel any better today after the Saints lost than I would have if they had won. I am still struggling with last weeks result and a little bit bitter that we weren't involved - but if you watch the game again (if you have the heart) they took some half chances (the Hayes goal in particular) that we were unable to grab and that's all she wrote.

The lionising of Riewoldt during grand final week? Sure, that was irritating but Taylor did a hell of a job on him yesterday and - whilst the conditions helped - his efforts may have been enough to win Geelong the game.

I dont know - throwing vitriol at the Saints fans doesn't sit right with me...

I guess that's a personal choice thing. I have empathy for some Saints players like Hayes who are out and out champions. But my hatred stems from the fact that every single person I know that is a Saint fan (I'm not exaggerating, it's every one) are those niggling, needling ones that sneer and smack of superiority whenever I talk to them about football. Their standard response always revolves around "our great list" or "window still open" or "we've got Roo and Kosi". They're arrogant and condescending to the Dogs and are oblivious to the fact that their history is as poor as ours.

I don't care what others think. When St Kilda lose, my heart sings. And the choir's going bananas right now.

hujsh
27-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I guess that's a personal choice thing. I have empathy for some Saints players like Hayes who are out and out champions. But my hatred stems from the fact that every single person I know that is a Saint fan (I'm not exaggerating, it's every one) are those niggling, needling ones that sneer and smack of superiority whenever I talk to them about football. Their standard response always revolves around "our great list" or "window still open" or "we've got Roo and Kosi". They're arrogant and condescending to the Dogs and are oblivious to the fact that their history is as poor as ours.

I don't care what others think. When St Kilda lose, my heart sings. And the choir's going bananas right now.

Maybe if we had about 5 times more wooden spoons than we do now.

EasternWest
27-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Maybe if we had about 5 times more wooden spoons than we do now.

Good point. But if you don't win the flag, does it matter where you finished really?

hujsh
27-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Good point. But if you don't win the flag, does it matter where you finished really?

If you a) finish last or b) have some pride in the club then I suppose it does

AndrewP6
27-09-2009, 07:32 PM
. But my hatred stems from the fact that every single person I know that is a Saint fan are those niggling, needling ones that sneer and smack of superiority whenever I talk to them about football. Their standard response always revolves around "our great list" or "window still open" or "we've got Roo and Kosi". They're arrogant and condescending to the Dogs and are oblivious to the fact that their history is as poor as ours.

Hear hear!!! I've got similar issues...perhaps not every one, but two work"mates" are diehard Aints fans, and one in particular has been gloating and carrying on for months about their premiership chances. In fact, the week of the PF, she was talking along the lines of "When we beat the Bulldogs, and then win the Granny", and stuff like that. And it's been going for months. One had a big sook when the Aints lost their first game during the season! So I'm glad they fell over at the last hurdle. And that it hurt them.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Hear hear!!! I've got similar issues...perhaps not every one, but two work"mates" are diehard Aints fans, and one in particular has been gloating and carrying on for months about their premiership chances. In fact, the week of the PF, she was talking along the lines of "When we beat the Bulldogs, and then win the Granny", and stuff like that. And it's been going for months. One had a big sook when the Aints lost their first game during the season! So I'm glad they fell over at the last hurdle. And that it hurt them.
I just hope if and when we eventually have our chance our members and supporters have more dignity than that. Some respect of where we've come from and to not tempt fate with arrogance and cockiness.

LostDoggy
27-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I only dislike the Saints over the match last week. Didn't really care who won the GF before that if we weren't there.
Everything else is just jealousy. They have as many idiot fans as we do and as many as evry otehr club.

EasternWest
27-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I only dislike the Saints over the match last week. Didn't really care who won the GF before that if we weren't there.
Everything else is just jealousy. They have as many idiot fans as we do and as many as evry otehr club.

You're right of course ES. I just like to think I'm not one of them.

EasternWest
27-09-2009, 08:35 PM
If you a) finish last or b) have some pride in the club then I suppose it does

Not really. I'm proud of our year. I'm even more proud of our performance in the PF. But we didn't win the flag, so I'm not bragging. And that's the point I'm trying to make. It's irrelevant to my friends that are Saints fans that they didn't win the flag. You can bet your bottom dollar that the next time I talk to one of them the first thing they'll say will either be "we won 20 games" or "we beat you". There's absolutely no chance they'll say "we were dominant all year and in the GF, but we ultimately failed".

aker39
27-09-2009, 09:37 PM
OR the umps could just suck it up...no one could begrudge Milburn a little tanty in the heat of the moment. Even if his spoil missed by about a foot! It's not like he thumped the guy or anything..

So if one of your students walked up to you and confronted you in the class room you'd just "suck it up".

AndrewP6
27-09-2009, 09:44 PM
So if one of your students walked up to you and confronted you in the class room you'd just "suck it up".

No, because my students are children. Both ump and player in that case are adults...and, yes, I have been "confronted" before, and haven't ever expected the kid to be suspended (possibly the school equivalent of a gifted goal)...

aker39
27-09-2009, 09:53 PM
No, because my students are children. Both ump and player in that case are adults...

Makes no difference. If you had senior students, you wouldn't suck it up?

In the football scenario, yes they are both adults. One thought he'd touched the football (which he clearly hadn't) and when things didn't go his way, he decided to take his frustration out (in a childish way) on someone who could not respond to that.

The AFL brought this on themselves. Darren Goldspink would give as good as he got, but when a couple of players (ironically cats players) took offence to him having a go back at them, they complained to the AFL. Hence, the no tolerance rule.

Milburn is one of the worst offenders in terms of abusing umpires. He had actually been warned only minutes earlier after complaining about the previous goal.

I don't necessarily agree that a free kick should have been paid, but the umpire clearly thought he was left with no other alternative.

AndrewP6
27-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Makes no difference. If you had senior students, you wouldn't suck it up?

In the football scenario, yes they are both adults. One thought he'd touched the football (which he clearly hadn't) and when things didn't go his way, he decided to take his frustration out (in a childish way) on someone who could not respond to that.

The AFL brought this on themselves. Darren Goldspink would give as good as he got, but when a couple of players (ironically cats players) took offence to him having a go back at them, they complained to the AFL. Hence, the no tolerance rule.

Milburn is one of the worst offenders in terms of abusing umpires. He had actually been warned only minutes earlier after complaining about the previous goal.

I don't necessarily agree that a free kick should have been paid, but the umpire clearly thought he was left with no other alternative.

Students disagree with your views/judgments/decisions on a daily basis. And at times they do so in a verbal manner. If I was to mete out a punishment I knew was extremely harsh or unfair, I'd get absolutely no respect from the kids, and they'd hate me. Not to mention the backlash from my boss! In a perfect world, the kids would consistently respond with "Yes sir, no sir", with their gaze fixed intently on my every word. But that's not reality. In turn, I can't come down with a big stick every time they express any dissatisfaction.

The problem with the AFL umpires Vs Players, is that it isn't a case of "give and take". The umps are able to give orders, (at times a little less than respectfully) and yet the second a player vents some frustration verbally, he's hit with a grossly unfair penalty. The ump could've ignored it, but he chose the free kick, which he knew was going to lead to a goal (and could well have cost the game)

If Milburn's behaviour had been that bad, it shouldn't have taken up to that point for them to act.

soupman
27-09-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't disagree with the free kick. I'm fine with players telling umpires that the decision was wrong, but from what I can tell the free wasn't paid until Milburn finished by either pointing/giving the bird in/to the goal umpires face. It was a stupid thing to do and showed a lack of respect, especially when Milburn got no where near touching the footy.

I think the biggest issue here is where the free is taken from. The penalty doesn't fit the crime.

If the defender screws up its a free kick right in front of goal for the attacking team. If the forward screws up, its a free kick from the centre cricle for the defending team. Thats not cool.

It should be paid where the football is at the time of the incident. At the time the free was paid the ball was technically in the centre of the ground. Thats where the free should be paid for an indiscretion like that, not the goal square.

boydogs
27-09-2009, 10:26 PM
It should be paid where the football is at the time of the incident. At the time the free was paid the ball was technically in the centre of the ground. Thats where the free should be paid for an indiscretion like that, not the goal square.

The same argument came up with the Lake/Riewoldt free. What is the rule?

mjp
27-09-2009, 10:33 PM
You're right of course ES. I just like to think I'm not one of them.

If you are carrying on to the Saints fans about the result...you are. Sorry.

LostDoggy
27-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Unfortunately umps just want their time in the spotlight. Disgraceful how they have become more part of the game rather being seen and not heard.

EasternWest
27-09-2009, 10:41 PM
If you are carrying on to the Saints fans about the result...you are. Sorry.

But I'm not carrying on to the Saints fans. I'm saying it in the WOOF forum. And I'm certainly not cheering, jeering or being abusive to other teams players or supporters at games. I see where you're coming from, but expressing my views amongst fellow supporters here and being a one eyed boor in the real world are two entirely different things.

mjp
28-09-2009, 01:57 AM
Thought my comments were pretty clear. IF you are carrying on....

If you aren't, why be so defensive.

LostDoggy
28-09-2009, 02:11 AM
I have no idea what was said / done by Milburn to draw the free kick, but as was mentioned, the umpie must have felt that he had no choice.

The last thing we want is for players to start carrying on like pork chops when decisions dont go their way like the soccer players do. They should be taking a leaf out of Rugby Union, where traditionally all players address the the referee as sir and if there is a need to make or clarify a point to the referee, then it is done through the captain.

Im certainly not trying to protect the umpires (will leave that to Gieschen), and fully agree that they have become too involved in the outcomes of too many games, though they do have a bloody tough job on their hands given the speed of the game now. The AFL should also be pushing for more ex-players to get into umpiring, as this automatically will give them more respect and also will allow them to have a better feel for the game.

EasternWest
28-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Thought my comments were pretty clear. IF you are carrying on....

If you aren't, why be so defensive.

Yeah, right.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what we say about the free or other related matters. Gieschen will say it was there and the umpire was right, again.

bornadog
28-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah, right.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what we say about the free or other related matters. Gieschen will say it was there and the umpire was right, again.

The umpires are only carrying out what the rule says. I think the penalty is too harsh, and the penalty needs to be thought out. The same thing happened to Fletcher against us earlier in the year and we got a free shot at goal.

LostDoggy
28-09-2009, 10:31 AM
The umpires are only carrying out what the rule says. I think the penalty is too harsh, and the penalty needs to be thought out. The same thing happened to Fletcher against us earlier in the year and we got a free shot at goal.

I thought Fletcher was disputing a Hahn mark/free. He was 30m out and Flecther gave away a 50 for disputing.

LostDoggy
28-09-2009, 10:33 AM
This was a typical example of an umpire wishing to unnecessarily impose himself on the game - similar to the previous week with the Lake/Riewoldt incident.

Umpires must understand that this is an emotional game and players will act accordingly. The penalty far outweighs the crime and umpires ought to apply it sparingly and only in the most drastic of circumstances.

Perhaps the umpire might ask himself what St Kilda did to earn the avantage.

bornadog
28-09-2009, 10:38 AM
I thought Fletcher was disputing a Hahn mark/free. He was 30m out and Flecther gave away a 50 for disputing.

It was for demonstrative abuse, but I think your right it resulted in a 50mtr penalty.

soupman
28-09-2009, 01:15 PM
It was for demonstrative abuse, but I think your right it resulted in a 50mtr penalty.

Which again shows it's a joke how inconsistent the positioning of the free is.

When Fletcher did it, his team were penalised 50m. When Milburn did it, his team were penalised close to 100m. This isn't fair. It should either be a free kick where play is due to resume (ie.where the ball is) or a 50m penalty if the opposing team is already in posession of the footy. Anything more than that and its ridiculous, because it means defenders are given much higher penalties than forwards.

If the umpire had of called it touched, and Riewoldt went off at him in the same manner as Milburn, it would have been a 50m penalty putting Geelong at CHB. So for the same crime, St.Kilda is gifted a goal while Geelong would have been given the kick out from CHB, approx 150m away from goal.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2009, 02:43 PM
I don't think there is any real defence that can be mounted here. It was overkill and he was not reported.

LostDoggy
28-09-2009, 02:48 PM
An idea from left-field: how about, if an umpire is proven to make an absolutely horrible decision, they get rubbed out for a week or two with a fine?

Just like the players.

Also, anyone know what the average ump is on per year?
I reckon we should pay them more, and pamper them less, if that makes sense.
Go back to the 80's where you could abuse them openly, but make it worth their while.

aker39
28-09-2009, 02:51 PM
An idea from left-field: how about, if an umpire is proven to make an absolutely horrible decision, they get rubbed out for a week or two with a fine?

Just like the players.

Did you see Shane McInerney out there on the weekend?

LostDoggy
28-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Did you see Shane McInerney out there on the weekend?

Valid point.

Will Stephen McBurney miss round 1?

Sockeye Salmon
28-09-2009, 03:16 PM

Just like the players.

Go back to the 80's where you could abuse them openly, but make it worth their while.

Another idea from left-field: how about, if an umpire is proven to make an absolutely horrible decision, they get bashed by every supporter at the ground who feels the steaming ***** have ripped them off?

Sockeye Salmon
28-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Which again shows it's a joke how inconsistent the positioning of the free is.

When Fletcher did it, his team were penalised 50m. When Milburn did it, his team were penalised close to 100m. This isn't fair. It should either be a free kick where play is due to resume (ie.where the ball is) or a 50m penalty if the opposing team is already in posession of the footy. Anything more than that and its ridiculous, because it means defenders are given much higher penalties than forwards.

If the umpire had of called it touched, and Riewoldt went off at him in the same manner as Milburn, it would have been a 50m penalty putting Geelong at CHB. So for the same crime, St.Kilda is gifted a goal while Geelong would have been given the kick out from CHB, approx 150m away from goal.

Fletcher penalty - 50m
Milburn penalty - free kick & 100m

Topdog
28-09-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't think there is any real defence that can be mounted here. It was overkill and he was not reported.

The AFL has already said it was the correct decision.

LostDoggy
28-09-2009, 05:09 PM
The AFL was trying to make St Kilda win a premiership! At least the umpiring decisions over the last 2 weeks of the season make that seem like the case. I would hate to think that the AFL is somewhat staged or scripted, but at times you have to think the worst.

hujsh
28-09-2009, 05:13 PM

Just like the players.

I think it's different. Umpires making a bad decision is the equivalent to Johnno not passing to Aka in the goalsquare and taking a shot.

He doesn't get fined but he might get a serve from Rocket

bulldogtragic
28-09-2009, 05:23 PM
The AFL has already said it was the correct decision.
Yeah, well, they said that about Riewoldt's one last week too... Jeff Geishan said the decision was right, Gillon McLachlan also said Lee Harvey Oswald was working for the CIA, Demetriou said 9/11 was committed by the USA government and Adrian Anderson states that the moon landing was staged in a TV studio. They all might be right, but they are probably wrong. Simply saying something doesn't make it true.

LostDoggy
28-09-2009, 05:23 PM
It is different.
I just think, at present, they're not really accountable.
They get the green light regardless it seems.

Topdog
28-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Yeah, well, they said that about Riewoldt's one last week too... Jeff Geishan said the decision was right, Gillon McLachlan also said Lee Harvey Oswald was working for the CIA, Demetriou said 9/11 was committed by the USA government and Adrian Anderson states that the moon landing was staged in a TV studio. They all might be right, but they are probably wrong. Simply saying something doesn't make it true.

Haha nicely done. I love how they do all their reviews on Monday but for those 2 incidents they were on TV the very next morning defending them. It is just so obvious what is going on.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Haha nicely done. I love how they do all their reviews on Monday but for those 2 incidents they were on TV the very next morning defending them. It is just so obvious what is going on.
Thanks TD :)

If they were always going to lie, they should have at least played it cool. Waited until Monday and vomited their lies on a suspecting audience. Coming out early is the admission of guilt. On an aside, why is it all humans are fallible, make mistakes and learn and improve consequently, yet umpires are "more human" and never make mistakes. It would be refreshing to acknowledge all umpires past (me included) and present as people who make mistakes and learn and that's the game. It's so dynamic and with so many people moving sometimes not every single decision is correct. It just doesn't make sense. I used to freely admit if i stuffed up after the game over a beer, it was cold comfort but i felt like i owed it to them to be honest and i think i was fairly well respected for doing it. But having people stand over you telling the world your mistakes are not so doesn't do anythig for anyone.