PDA

View Full Version : Trade Talk - Trade Week 2009

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

anfo27
05-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Do you think the dogs can sign off on the Hall deal without having signed Lake yet?

LostDoggy
05-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Do you think the dogs can sign off on the Hall deal without having signed Lake yet?

Of course they can.

Looks like Sydney are doing enough other trades that they might just be happy to get a 3rd rounder for Hall. Fingers crossed anyway.

Should we be looking at Jolly as well?

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 11:28 AM

That's all we could do is look at him.

No chance of him coming to us.

anfo27
05-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Of course they can.

Looks like Sydney are doing enough other trades that they might just be happy to get a 3rd rounder for Hall. Fingers crossed anyway.

I was thinking in terms of money. If Lake is determined to hold out for more money, could that affect what Barry gets offered?

Sedat
05-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Terrible trade for North.
Each to their own. Personally I think picks 25 and 41 for a 189 cm back flanker with limitations is a pretty good trade for North. Gibson's value is vastly inflated by the Hawks because he's played a couple of decent matches on Buddy, but without a gorilla like Croad down back, Gibson will be as horribly exposed as Thomas Murphy was this season.

The only thing North has lost out on was with regard to their reputation, after all the bluff and bluster in the media by them of "accepting nothing less than pick 9".

chef
05-10-2009, 11:51 AM
They would be planning on using their first round for Burgoyne, so it would have been off-limits.

Probably not a great result for North, but they do need to turn their list over and another pick in the top 25 should secure them a good young player.

If i was North, i would have went hard for Dowler.

bornadog
05-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Swans and Dogs currently in discussion.

still in meeting

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 12:02 PM
still in meeting

I think we'll know by the end of the day at least. I also think we'll know were abouts we sit with Lake by tomorrow.

Mantis
05-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I think we'll know by the end of the day at least. I also think we'll know were abouts we sit with Lake by tomorrow.

Why would that be the case?

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Why would that be the case?

There is a meeting tonight. I should have said hopefully we'll know were we sit with Lake tomorrow.

Topdog
05-10-2009, 12:36 PM
If i was North, i would have went hard for Dowler.

Yep 2nd round pick and a decent young player is what they should have gone for. I think Gibson is pretty underrated on this site and this season he has proven he can go into the midfield for stints on the ball aswell. He is a good hard defender who fits the Hawks backline perfectly.

Mantis
05-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Yep 2nd round pick and a decent young player is what they should have gone for. I think Gibson is pretty underrated on this site and this season he has proven he can go into the midfield for stints on the ball aswell. He is a good hard defender who fits the Hawks backline perfectly.

I would have thought a taller/ stronger defender would have been a better fit for the Dorks.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Interesting.

In a shallow draft, Hawthorn might end up the winners but the ball is probably in North's court to pick one (or two) better players. Gibson isn't a star by any means but he's a solid contributor and will improve their defence. He's worth it for Hawthorn IMO. Not sure if that's the case for North. How old is he? If he's above 25, then North haven't done too badly if they can pick up a couple of kids.

Topdog
05-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I would have thought a taller/ stronger defender would have been a better fit for the Dorks.

They need more than 1 defender though, esp. now with Campbell retiring who was filling in there. Gibson can play on a 2nd tall and can also play on the smaller types.

Templeton31
05-10-2009, 01:48 PM
why is gibson saying he will get to fill a different on-field role? Surely he'll just be doing the same thing he did at the roos?

Doc26
05-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Just heard Fantasia on the 2pm news state that Lake remains unsigned and that they are meeting with his management this evening.

Topdog
05-10-2009, 02:32 PM
why is gibson saying he will get to fill a different on-field role? Surely he'll just be doing the same thing he did at the roos?

He played a lot in the midfield this year.

w3design
05-10-2009, 03:51 PM
As of 3pm..

No deal with the swans on Hall.

Andrejs a "Required player"

Fantasia surprised at the level of interest in a number of players including 3 clubs interested in Lake.

All from Whitey927 on Twitter.

Disappointing day from my point of view, it's a long week though and hopefully we know one way or another with Brian tonight.

LostDoggy
05-10-2009, 04:07 PM
That WCE/Bris/Syd deal is a confusing one...I think it works in WCE favor.

Sydney Gain: Mark Seaby & Pick #28.
Sydney Lose: Amon Buchanan & Pick #22.

Brisbane Gain: Brent Staker, Amon Buchanan & Pick #39.
Brisbane Lose: Brad Dalziell & Pick #28.

West Cost Gain: Brad Dalziell & Pick #22.
West Coast Lose: Brent Staker, Mark Seaby & Pick #39

Brisbane loading up on older experienced players.

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 04:10 PM
All from Whitey927 on Twitter..

Didn't like this tweet....

TRADE WEEK: Melbourne has admitted its trying to squeeze out an uncontracted player into the preseason draft.

hujsh
05-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Brisbane lose big time in that deal.

The Coon Dog
05-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Plenty of speculation & comments from officials on the HS website, including:

3.52pm: THE BULLDOGS say talks have progressed with the Swans for a deal for Barry Hall.

The Dogs' James Fantasia said he expected a deal done in the next 48hrs.

We believe it's likely the Dogs will give up their third-round pick (No.47) for Hall.

3.44pm: BULLDOGS football manager James Fantasia said several clubs had inquired about out-of-contract fullback Brian Lake, but he was confident Lake would be re-signed by the end of this week.

The Bulldogs said "no" when the Blues asked them if they were interested in a trade for Brendan Fevola, but Fantasia said the club had a "never say never" approach to deals.

Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/trade-winds-the-deals-as-they-happen/story-e6frf9jf-1225782861941)

Doc26
05-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Interesting interview with Roos with Ox and Francis just gone. He stated that the deal for Hall is in the Dog's court. They've (Swans) offered to take a third round for Baz. Obviously a move from the initial second round request they had. Dogs are obviously still holding out for less than this.

Doc26
05-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Further, not sure how right this is but the Ox has just stated that the Lake deal WILL get done with the Dogs. Apparently with B&F incentives and trying to leave room to move during trade week the Dogs have had to hold off from closing the deal with Brian potentially until the end of this week.

w3design
05-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Didn't like this tweet....

TRADE WEEK: Melbourne has admitted its trying to squeeze out an uncontracted player into the preseason draft.

Yeah, not the best is it? I wonder who it is, I wouldn't be too happy if it was me.

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Interesting interview with Roos with Ox and Francis just gone. He stated that the deal for Hall is in the Dog's court. They've (Swans) offered to take a third round for Baz. Obviously a move from the initial second round request they had. Dogs are obviously still holding out for less than this.

Seems we're getting a little greedy. I'd happily send our 3rd Round pick over.

bornadog
05-10-2009, 04:23 PM
The games people play?

Fantasia said they have also enquired about some players, I wonder what type and who?

aker39
05-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah, not the best is it? I wonder who it is, I wouldn't be too happy if it was me.

They are not talking about squeezing a Melbourne player in to the pre season draft, but a player from another club.

Now who's the most valuable uncontracted player? :eek:

aker39
05-10-2009, 04:28 PM
All from Whitey927 on Twitter.

If anyone wants to follow trade week on twitter, this is the way to go.

His tweets were coming through at least 30-60 minutes before AFL one's and even before Tonsils Thompson could bleat it out on SEN.

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 04:28 PM
They are not talking about squeezing a Melbourne player in to the pre season draft, but a player from another club.

Now who's the most valuable uncontracted player? :eek:

That is what concerned me about the tweet!

aker39
05-10-2009, 04:30 PM

This is his latest tweet:

The Western Bulldogs don't want to give up a third-round draft pick in straight swap for Barry Hall. May actually wait for draft

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 04:32 PM

The Western Bulldogs don't want to give up a third-round draft pick in straight swap for Barry Hall. May actually wait for draft

Again think we're getting greedy. I think it's a fair deal. Somoene may just take him from under our nose in the PSD. I'd rather get this deal signed off before the end of the week.

The Coon Dog
05-10-2009, 04:33 PM

Sydney may have to take a 4th round pick with a set of steak knives thrown in.

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 04:34 PM

Player?

I'm happy to give up a third round pick for him but the only way I see Sydney taking a 4th Round pick is if a player is involved with a set of Steak Knives. :D

The Bulldogs Bite
05-10-2009, 04:35 PM

I'd rather take him in the PSD than offer up a third round pick too.

Why should we give up a third pick for a player that was never going to play with them next year? Call picks speculative or whatever you want, but I'm not a fan of gifting sides picks in the first, second or third round.

Besides, we may have another player that we're hoping to trade for by using our third (or second) round pick.

aker39
05-10-2009, 04:36 PM
How about we give them our 3rd and 4th round picks and they give us their 4th round pick.

Topdog
05-10-2009, 04:37 PM
How about we give them our 3rd and 4th round picks and they give us their 4th round pick.

I like it. We only drop 7 places that way (I think)

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 04:38 PM
I'd rather take him in the PSD than offer up a third round pick too.

Why should we give up a third pick for a player that was never going to play with them next year? Call picks speculative or whatever you want, but I'm not a fan of gifting sides picks in the first, second or third round.

Besides, we may have another player that we're hoping to trade for by using our third (or second) round pick.

Would say a team like Carlton take Hall in the PSD though? Collingwood? Richmond? There is a big risk if he goes into the PSD because there are 13 other teams selecting before us. You may be able to rule out quite a few clubs that will pass but can you be so confident all will?

LostDoggy
05-10-2009, 04:48 PM

I like it.

I think itd be funny if he went into PSD we might end up using 3rd anyway just incase theres interest from higher with their 4th round

The Boy From Brasil
05-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Would say a team like Carlton take Hall in the PSD though? Collingwood? Richmond? There is a big risk if he goes into the PSD because there are 13 other teams selecting before us. You may be able to rule out quite a few clubs that will pass but can you be so confident all will?

I agree. Why take the risk? All it takes is one club to be interested in him, then we lose him in the PSD. For the sake of the difference between a 3rd round and 4th round in a shallow draft, why risk losing a player that we honestly feel can help us next year?

I understand and agree with the club playing hard ball and trying to get Hall for as low as pick as possible. But if push comes to shove, I hope that we would settle for a third round trade rather than take the risk and let him fall into the PSD.

chef
05-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Rodney Eade said the sticking point for the Hall trade was that the Dogs were looking for the Swans to throw in a late-round pick as well.

According to twitter.

http://twitter.com/superfooty

The Bulldogs Bite
05-10-2009, 04:51 PM

I agree. Why take the risk? All it takes is one club to be interested in him, then we lose him in the PSD. For the sake of the difference between a 3rd round and 4th round in a shallow draft, why risk losing a player that we honestly feel can help us next year?

I understand and agree with the club playing hard ball and trying to get Hall for as low as pick as possible. But if push comes to shove, I hope that we would settle for a third round trade rather than take the risk and let him fall into the PSD.

Realistically what club is going to take Barry Hall if he doesn't want to play with them and puts a price on his head? That's on top of the whole 'baggage' topic too.

My guess would be none, which is why Barry and the club is prepared to take it to the PSD.

The Coon Dog
05-10-2009, 04:52 PM
4.40pm: BULLDOGS coach Rodney Eade said the deal for Barry Hall was very close. The Dogs had offered a third-round pick for the forward, but had not heard back from the Swans.

He said the Dogs were also looking for the Swans to include a late-round pick in the deal.

Eade confirmed the Dogs had said no to a Brendan Fevola trade and that he was very keen for Andrejs Everitt to stay at the Kennel.

The Bulldogs Bite
Rodney Eade said the sticking point for the Hall trade was that the Dogs were looking for the Swans to throw in a late-round pick as well.

According to twitter.

http://twitter.com/superfooty

Aker39 might be on the money or close to it.

That would be fair.

LostDoggy
I'd be happy with a 3rd round pick. But I would also hold out and see what else happens during the week. We might get an offer too good to refuse for one of our players, and be more than happy to give the 3rd round to Sydney.

aker39
05-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Realistically what club is going to take Barry Hall if he doesn't want to play with them and puts a price on his head? That's on top of the whole 'baggage' topic too.

My guess would be none, which is why Barry and the club is prepared to take it to the PSD.

The price he puts on his head is the price we will have to pay. It's also a price that every other player will know he is getting paid.

chef
05-10-2009, 04:56 PM

Would any other club be prepared to contract him for two years?.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-10-2009, 04:56 PM
The price he puts on his head is the price we will have to pay. It's also a price that every other player will know he is getting paid.

Stepping out of my knowledge with this one, but couldn't Barry name $500K - we pay him 500K year one, 150K year two?

The Boy From Brasil
05-10-2009, 04:58 PM

My guess, which is why Barry and the club is prepared to take it to the PSD.

You may be right and he might fall down to us in the PSD. But the question is, are you happy to take that risk? For the sake of the difference between a 3rd and 4th round pick in a shallow draft, are we prepared to lose him? We are risking a fair bit in letting him go through to the PSD, are we gaining a lot in our 3rd round pick for the priviledge of that risk?

The Bulldogs Bite
05-10-2009, 05:04 PM
You may be right and he might fall down to us in the PSD. But the question is, are you happy to take that risk? For the sake of the difference between a 3rd and 4th round pick in a shallow draft, are we prepared to lose him? We are risking a fair bit in letting him go through to the PSD, are we gaining a lot in our 3rd round pick for the priviledge of that risk?

Maybe, it depends on a couple of things.

A) What do we plan on doing with our second and third round picks? IE. Trading for a player of need (Small forward) or using them both in the draft?

B) If we're using them for the draft, do our recruiting team believe there is talent to be found in the second and/or third rounds? If so - I'd take the risk. The KPF isn't the only hole on the list and paying a third round pick for two years service at the most isn't something I'd do. Barry might not even last a month.

TBH the best scenario would be an exchange of picks like Aker39 suggested. According to that snippet of info from Rocket up above, the club is trying to do something similar. That would be the best outcome.

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 05:07 PM

That is just a guess and the Western Bulldogs would be just guessing as well. I just don't think it is worth the risk.

Looks like a downgrade of picks in this deal may get it over the line. Hopefully a deal can be done tomorrow to end all speculations.

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 05:09 PM
TBH the best scenario would be an exchange of picks like Aker39 suggested. According to that snippet of info from Rocket up above, the club is trying to do something similar. That would be the best outcome.

Agreed. I think that would be a terrific result for us. Hope it happens.

Topdog
05-10-2009, 05:10 PM
And with the PSD he can't train with us until December. Not worth it!

ledge
05-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Is there a cut off time every night for deals to be done? if so what time is it?

Mantis
05-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Is there a cut off time every night for deals to be done? if so what time is it?

2pm on Friday is final cut-off.

Trades only go thru when the paperwork is finalised by the AFL and I doubt they are working 24/7.

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Between 10 AM - 2.45PM every day I think.

Clubs can negotiate any time between now until the deadline.

ledge
05-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Ok thanks G-Mo, so any deals arent officially accepted by the AFL after 2.45pm but we can still get news over the night.

G-Mo77
05-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Ok thanks G-Mo, so any deals arent officially accepted by the AFL after 2.45pm but we can still get news over the night.

I did hear something on the radio about it today. I'm not 100% certain but I think that is how it works.

GVGjr
05-10-2009, 06:33 PM
4.40pm: BULLDOGS coach Rodney Eade said the deal for Barry Hall was very close. The Dogs had offered a third-round pick for the forward, but had not heard back from the Swans.

He said the Dogs were also looking for the Swans to include a late-round pick in the deal.

Eade confirmed the Dogs had said no to a Brendan Fevola trade and that he was very keen for Andrejs Everitt to stay at the Kennel.

This would be a sensible outcome. We don't want to have to wait until December to add Hall to the club. He can get a lot of training with the guys beforehand if the deal gets completed this week.

anfo27
05-10-2009, 06:38 PM
I can't believe the swans gave up pick 22 for Seaby, no wonder they wanted a 2nd rounder for Hall. Does anyone else think the swans gave up too much for this hack?

Sockeye Salmon
05-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Stepping out of my knowledge with this one, but couldn't Barry name $500K - we pay him 500K year one, 150K year two?

Couldn't do it.

We would have to include his $500K in this years salary cap and we are struggling to fit Lake in as it is.

Sockeye Salmon
05-10-2009, 06:41 PM
My reading of it is that we think Sydney are only going to use 4-5 picks so they might throw in a 4th-5th rounder they have no intention of using anyway.

lemmon
05-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Interesting that Ball apparently wants out, throws another one into the fire.

Remi Moses
05-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Seaby a wayde Skipper type could do well at Sydney
Brisbane must get the award for the day for trading for ordinary conveyances.
Luke Ball will replace someone like O'Bree at Collingwood
Gibson good deal for Norf,just a medium sized backman
Steal of the day Brock mclean pick 11 for this bloke is a bargain for a rebuilding club.Any wonder Carlton were contemplating a change of mind

Remi Moses
05-10-2009, 08:57 PM
My reading of it is that we think Sydney are only going to use 4-5 picks so they might throw in a 4th-5th rounder they have no intention of using anyway.

That's what I Think will happen also.

ledge
05-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Question is will we use it anyway?

LostDoggy
05-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Steal of the day Brock mclean pick 11 for this bloke is a bargain for a rebuilding club.Any wonder Carlton were contemplating a change of mind

Just about every Melbourne supporter is not concerned about losing him. Slow being a word often used.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-10-2009, 09:10 PM
We would want to use at least three picks in the up-coming draft. That would be our recruiting department's wish.

I would still be very interested to know what small forwards we're looking into. It might be why we're trying to get another late pick off Sydney.

Our list seems fairly settled in that it's unlikely we'll be trading anyone away.

LostDoggy
05-10-2009, 09:11 PM
As there is still no word on the Lake front is it possible the Hawks are trying everything posible not to get Burgoyne in order to have other club chasing him and draw attention away from Brian and not having any competition? The sooner Brian gets signed the happier I'll feel.

LostDoggy
05-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Ball has asked to be traded to Collingwood.

What would Collingwood be able to offer the Saints?

What picks have they got?

Jasper
05-10-2009, 09:42 PM

Collingwood have an excess of small forwards. Medhurst didn't play in their last final. Medhurst is a marking half forward type. Join the dots

jazzadogs
05-10-2009, 09:47 PM

Ball has got to be worth more than McLean...but Carlton stuffed that trade up, so it can't really be used as a guide.

Can't think of anything the Pies have got that the Saints would want...Ball is worth more than their second round pick. They don't need/wouldn't want Fraser, or Davis.

Sedat
05-10-2009, 09:56 PM

Ball offers precisely nothing that the Pies don't already have in abundance. Someone like an O'Bree is paid probably 1/3rd the amount of Ball and does a better job of the inside midfield role. Collingwood need another midfield plodder like a hole in the head. Just a stupid move by player and club if it happens.

Doc26
05-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Wouldn't give up a second round pick for Luke Ball. Believe the current game has about passed him.

jazzadogs
05-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Wouldn't give up a second round pick for Luke Ball. Believe the current game has about passed him.
Was given very limited opportunities by the Saints this year (<50% game time towards end), and acquitted himself well when on the ground. I think O'Bree will lose his spot to Ball, if that's where Luke does go.

I think anything less than a 2nd round pick would equal Saints getting fooled.

lemmon
05-10-2009, 11:03 PM
What is the minimum number of picks you must use, was it three? My memory has abandoned me

Doc26
05-10-2009, 11:09 PM
What is the minimum number of picks you must use, was it three? My memory has abandoned me

Yes you're spot on. A minimum of three in the Nat Draft.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Confirmed on SEN that the Hall deal will be finalised and signed off on by 10.30am this morning....

Templeton31
06-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Confirmed on SEN that the Hall deal will be finalised and signed off on by 10.30am this morning....

details? pick 47? or pick 47 and some more.....

Hotdog60
06-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Barry Hall's passage to Whitten Oval has been held up by a squabble over a second pick for the former Sydney Swans and St Kilda goalkicker.

Sydney, who initially asked for Western Bulldogs' second-round selection, pick No.31, agreed on Monday to accept a third-round pick, selection No.47, but the Dogs now also want the Swans' fourth-round pick, selection No.54, to seal the deal.

Sydney coach Paul Roos said a second pick would not be forthcoming, and Hall would have to make his way to the Dogs through either the national or pre-season drafts if one was demanded.

It is understood Hall has suggested he will want $50,000 more to join the Dogs if he has to make his way to them through the pre-season draft, a premium the Dogs won't want to have to factor into their salary cap.

This was on the Fox site, Big Barry is getting demanding too. If there were no other takers for his services we should ask him to take $50,000 less to play football.:p

w3design
06-10-2009, 08:34 AM

Sorry, my bad. Although 'Melbourne based' would have assisted my comprehension. If Brian is that player then I'll be furious. IMO he is irreplaceable.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 08:41 AM
So besides Lake, Hall & Everitt

Is there anyone else sought after/wanted by us?

Edit:
Recent Tweets
Whitey927 TRADE WEEK: Big anouncement at Whitten Oval at 10am. Mail is strong Barry Hall will be announced as a Bulldog player
Whitey927 TRADE WEEK: Also very strong mail Brian Lake has agreed to a new deal at the Bulldogs after intense discussions last night

Oh Pleasssssssssse be true
:D

Mofra
06-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Edit:
Recent Tweets
Whitey927 TRADE WEEK: Big anouncement at Whitten Oval at 10am. Mail is strong Barry Hall will be announced as a Bulldog player
Whitey927 TRADE WEEK: Also very strong mail Brian Lake has agreed to a new deal at the Bulldogs after intense discussions last night

Oh Pleasssssssssse be true
:D
Echo those sentiments, that would be an outstanding result for us.
Would cap off one helluva week for me :D

They need to finalise all this stuff by Wednesday arvo as I'll be out of the country first thing Thursday morning and will miss the second half of trade week.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Echo those sentiments, that would be an outstanding result for us.
Would cap off one helluva week for me :D

They need to finalise all this stuff by Wednesday arvo as I'll be out of the country first thing Thursday morning and will miss the second half of trade week.

Yeah its 3.30pm yesterday over here im just sitting refreshing all the websites to know whats happening :)

Lake & Hall would be enough for me, Eade & Fantasia should go home after thats done :D

Desipura
06-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Saints are looking at Everitt with Carlton offering pick 26. We want a pick under 20. Saints are trying to get Lovett and Essendon's 2nd pick
Essendon would get Maguire and Saints 1st pick but lost their 2nd pick to StK
Saints would then have 2 second round picks.
They would then be able to give us Essendons 2nd pick whilst retaining their other 2nd round pick
Hope it makes sense.

chef
06-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Saints are looking at Everitt with Carlton offering pick 26. We want a pick under 20. Saints are trying to get Lovett and Essendon's 2nd pick
They would then be able to give us Essendons 2nd pick whilst retaining their other 2nd round pick
Hope it makes sense.

That still wouldn't be a pick under 20. Carltons pick is 27 and Essendons is 26, i can't see this getting done.

Maybe for Saints first pick(17) or Melbournes pick 18.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Who is Whitey927? Is it a credible source or a no name blogger such as myself.

Sockeye Salmon
06-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Hope it makes sense.

What would Ross Lyon do with Lovett?

He doesn't let any of them run and he can hardly put Lovett at the base of the scrum.

Personally, I despise Lyon's game plan and I think Lovett is precisely what St. Kilda need, I just can't see Lyon using him properly.

aker39
06-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Who is Whitey927? Is it a credible source or a no name blogger such as myself.

Adam White from Sport 927 and ABC

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 10:17 AM
What would Ross Lyon do with Lovett?

He doesn't let any of them run and he can hardly put Lovett at the base of the scrum.

Personally, I despise Lyon's game plan and I think Lovett is precisely what St. Kilda need, I just can't see Lyon using him properly.

It got them to a Grand Final :)

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks Aker39

Doc26
06-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Hall deal done.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-announce-barry-hall-afl-trade-week-deal/story-e6frf9jf-1225783207132

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Eade and Hall to face the media at WO this mouring according to the dogs website

Sockeye Salmon
06-10-2009, 10:23 AM
It got them to a Grand Final :)

And Mike Brearley's 'first make sure you can't lose and then try and win' game plan won England the ashes.

I still hated it.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Is the mail by some one that called in? Most likely a Blues or Swans fan.
Sorry No offence Lantern, its not even worth writing it here.

From the Herald Sun today (Jon Ralph & Mark Robinson):

CARLTON

No movement on Brendan Fevola yesterday, but sealed the deal for Brock McLean when it gave up pick 11. Fevola still has many suitors, but Carlton might have to wait until the Swans deal on Jolly. Tried to offload Fevola for Brian Lake, but that was rejected. Will not trade Shaun Hampson despite healthy interest.
---

Wasn't a baseless rumour, and some seem to think that it was worth writing in the papers (admittedly it IS the Herald Sun).

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 10:54 AM
From the Herald Sun today (Jon Ralph & Mark Robinson):

CARLTON

No movement on Brendan Fevola yesterday, but sealed the deal for Brock McLean when it gave up pick 11. Fevola still has many suitors, but Carlton might have to wait until the Swans deal on Jolly. Tried to offload Fevola for Brian Lake, but that was rejected. Will not trade Shaun Hampson despite healthy interest.
---

Wasn't a baseless rumour, and some seem to think that it was worth writing in the papers (admittedly it IS the Herald Sun).

Might not of been baseless but it always highly unlikely. What Carlton wants and what they get are miles apart. I know who to trust around this time of year.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 10:56 AM
And Mike Brearley's 'first make sure you can't lose and then try and win' game plan won England the ashes.

I still hated it.

A number of people I know think the same way about the Saints style. They got what they deserve.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Might not of been baseless but it always highly unlikely. I know who to trust around this time of year.

Okay, okay, trust me, we all get that you're James Fantasia's love-child and you have the 'inside word'. So do many others here but they don't feel the need to wave it in everyone's face and police threads condescendingly. Most of us are just reporting what we hear on the grapevine (that isn't that baseless -- we all have our sources).

Give it a rest.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Okay, okay, trust me, we all get that you're James Fantasia's love-child and you have the 'inside word'. So do many others here but they don't feel the need to wave it in everyone's face and police threads condescendingly. Most of us are just reporting what we hear on the grapevine (that isn't that baseless -- we all have our sources).

Give it a rest.
Give it a rest yourself.

I never mentioned Fantasia and you mentioned Carlton. No need to be in the know as it has been widely reported we don't want Fev from last week. You are only one that doesn't trust the word of the club over the word of Carlton.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Give it a rest yourself.

I never mentioned Fantasia and you mentioned Carlton. No need to be in the know as it has been widely reported we don't want Fev from last week. You are only one that doesn't trust the word of the club over the word of Carlton.

?

I was just saying that Carlton had floated it. And they had. Where had I said that I didn't trust the Dogs to do the right thing?

We are discussing trade week. Part of the discussion is the fun that comes with seeing all the stuff that other clubs try to do. Carlton tried to swap Fev for Lake. It was widely reported. I said so, and it was a fun thing to speculate on. You said that it was a baseless rumour that wasn't worth writing about, but clearly it wasn't baseless. Last time I checked, WOOF wasn't just a mouthpiece for the club's position, but a place to discuss everything football. Carlton's actions are just as 'newsworthy' as the Dogs, and besides, this isn't a newspaper. It's an online forum.

There's a course. It's called Logic 101. Look it up.

--

ps. As far as I know, most of the lengthy, boring, stupid and illogical to-and-fros on WOOF involve yourself in some capacity, usually condescendingly putting down others in order to show off how 'connected' you are. Coincidence? Like I said, we get it. Give it a rest.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Give it a rest yourself.

It's humourous metaphor/irony to make a point. I didn't mean you're literally Fantasia's love-child. (!)

mighty_west
06-10-2009, 11:22 AM
ps. As far as I know, most of the lengthy, boring, stupid and illogical to-and-fros on WOOF involve yourself in some capacity, usually condescendingly putting down others in order to show off how 'connected' you are. Coincidence? Like I said, we get it. Give it a rest.

Hear hear.

Desipura
06-10-2009, 11:24 AM
I made the point IF Fev went to Sydney, then made the comment that I would like to get my hands on Jesse White (this was not a rumour as Ernie suggested).
This was merely me thinking ahead that IF Fev went to Sydney, I could not see him and Jesse White playing in the same forwardl line.
Add Seaby and potentially Mumford (reportedly offered 900k over 3 yrs to play at Sydney), would mean White could be squeezed out.
If Fev does go to another club, one certain poster no names........Ernie Sigley will have egg on his face.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Enough said from me on this. All I stated was club policy wided report since last week which was we won't go near Fev.
You can be jealous all you like but fact is I am just as much in the 'know' as you except I don't believe the crap that is being mentioned.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I made the point IF Fev went to Sydney, then made the comment that I would like to get my hands on Jesse White (this was not a rumour as Ernie suggested).
This was merely me thinking ahead that IF Fev went to Sydney, I could not see him and Jesse White playing in the same forwardl line.
Add Seaby and potentially Mumford (reportedly offered 900k over 3 yrs to play at Sydney), would mean White could be squeezed out.
If Fev does go to another club, one certain poster no names........Ernie Sigley will have egg on his face.
No egg on the face if Fev moves just more likely that Fev will move than Jesse White.

mighty_west
06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Enough said from me .

AratTMGrHaQ

Desipura
06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
No egg on the face if Fev moves just more likely that Fev will move than Jesse White.
Thats is not what you had stated previously. You claimed it was a waste of time even talking about Fev being traded as it was not going to happen.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Thats is not what you had stated previously. You claimed it was a waste of time even talking about Fev being traded as it was not going to happen.

I stated that he won't go to the dogs. I said it was better than 50% that he will stay at Carlton.

mighty_west
06-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Good song

Finally we agree about something.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Finally we agree about something.
There is more than you think.

mighty_west
06-10-2009, 11:57 AM
There is more than you think.

Well if there is, you have a funny way of showing it!

The amount of disrespect you can dish out to your fellow Doggies supporters from time to time is very ordinary, such with myself all because i used 3 words "from all reports" when posting about a news item from the past, and unfortunatly, as i have been told, you have a habit of doing it to others in the past, and going by a few that will stand up to you, a few are getting pretty sick and tired by the treatment you can give out...and make no mistake, i made myself stay clear for a few days from posting i was that worked up!

Sockeye Salmon also made a remark, but he has the nads to apologise, unlike yourself who just kept banging on about the subject just to make yourself look like some sort of hero, and continue making the subject go round in circles just so you have the final say.

I came to this forum thinking you bloody ripper, a great forum with only passionate Doggies supporters, not having to put up with the bullshit & trolls from sites like Big Footy [as you state quite often], being able to debate just like having a convo around a barby with some of your mates.

You do come out with some good healty debate from time to time, and some quality posts, but unfortunalty let yourself down with the disrespect you can show.

G-Mo77
06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Can we take all these personal disagrements to a PM please?

I'd rather hear Trade Talk.

aker39
06-10-2009, 12:21 PM
I was having a look at the AFL trade tracker and it says that what Sydney is to receive from us is to be determined by the end of trade week.

Does anyone have anymore specific details.

G-Mo77
06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm guessing what you proposed yesterday Aker. Hall and Sydneys 4th Round Pick for our 3rd and 4th Round Pick.

aker39
06-10-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm guessing what you proposed yesterday Aker. Hall and Sydneys 4th Round Pick for our 3rd and 4th Round Pick.

But why not just announce that. I can only assume that one of the 2 clubs thinks they will have some different picks (to what they have now) to trade by the end of the week.

Mantis
06-10-2009, 12:35 PM
But why not just announce that. I can only assume that one of the 2 clubs thinks they will have some different picks (to what they have now) to trade by the end of the week.

I think your assumption is on the money.

I think we have agreed in principle (much like the Hudson & Aker deals in previous years), but we just have to wait and see what actual picks we have come Thursday or Friday.

EasternWest
06-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Mumford (reportedly offered 900k over 3 yrs to play at Sydney), would mean White could be squeezed out

Crap that's a lot of money and opportunity for Mumford. He'd be mad not to take it if that's true.

And I guess Jesse White is a moot point now that we have Barry, but he would have been well worth looking at IMO.

Topdog
06-10-2009, 12:51 PM

This is probably on Sydney's end. They are still in negotiations for quite a few players, inc. the Jolly deal. They might end up with an extra 4th rounder to deal with.

Doc26
06-10-2009, 03:23 PM
What's happened to Whitey927 today ? C'mon Adam pull your finger out we need more.

Aah wasn't aware of this:

AFL clubs do not meet at Etihad today (Tues), as they did yesterday. Until Friday, the clubs meet among themselves. They only all come together on the Monday and Friday of trade week

bornadog
06-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Trade week: day two (http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/trade-week-day-two/2009/10/06/1254701013966.html)
October 6, 2009 - 4:13PM
4pm update, Tuesday 6 October
Potential trades:

Luke Ball, St Kilda: officially requested a trade from St Kilda on Monday. Collingwood is his preferred destination. There has been no news on this front today.

Darren Jolly, Sydney: is seeking to return to a Melbourne club. Sydney are willing to do the deal, if they can be satisfied by the trade. Collingwood offered pick 14, which was rejected. Hawthorn is also interested. No developments yet today.

Brendan Fevola, Carlton: manager Mark Kleiman says "nothing at all has happened with anyone" regarding a trade for Fevola today.

Leon Davis, Collingwood: newspaper reports suggested that the Magpie All-Australian would accept a trade to a Western Australian or South Australian team, for family reasons. No further developments today.

Shaun Burgoyne, Port Adelaide: manager Ben Williams denies that Burgoyne was in Melbourne today, in discussions with the Demons, saying his client is at home with his family recovering after knee surgery. Port Adelaide will not confirm or deny interest from Melbourne. hawthorn remains interested and in negotiations with Port Adelaide to secure the midfielder. Hawthorn's Chris Pelchen says "we think we made a good deal (pick 9) ... it's up to Port Adelaide now. These things are fluid and can change by the hour. We're encouraged by the discussions we had yesterday."

Brian Lake, Western Bulldogs: not the subject of any negotiation with other clubs, but the Western Bulldogs backman is still not signed by the preliminary finalist. If he could not come to terms with the Dogs, Lake would become a major player in trade week, but the Bulldogs remain "pretty confident" he will be at Whitten Oval in 2010. Lake's manager Ricky Olarenshaw says "the lines of communication are still open", but negotitaions will not be affected by "outside forces" - such as the media.

Shane Mumford and David Wojcinski, Geelong: The Cats, under salary cap pressure, has talked about Mumford to two clubs keen for a ruckman. Newspaper reports indicate speedy backman David Wojcinski could be sacrificed if the deal was right.

Brett Peake and Marcus Drum, Fremantle: still seeking a trade for two disenchanted utilities. St Kilda reportedly interested in the pacy Peake; Geelong in defender Drum.

Josh Kennedy, Hawthorn: Hawk footy chief Chris Pelchen says "there is some chance" that Kennedy could be on the move. "We appreciate that Josh has expressed an interest in making a move ..." But Pelchen indicated that the deal was a "fair way off."

Others: Joel MacDonald, Brisbane, Rhan Hooper, Brisbane

soupman
06-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Some here may be interested in Wojcinski as a sppedy defender replacement for Harbrow so Harbrow can go forward.

Other's might prefer Rhan Hooper as that small forward.

Are there any other small forward on the market that would fill our needs? Or should we just hope to draft Jetta?

G-Mo77
06-10-2009, 05:23 PM
From Whitey927 (twitter)

TRADE WEEK: St Kilda confirms Andrew Lovett's move to the Saints for pick 16 in the draft. Bombers likely to trade that pick later this week

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Some here may be interested in Wojcinski as a sppedy defender replacement for Harbrow so Harbrow can go forward.

We should definitely be interested in Wojcinski. Is fast, and also has the tank to play in the middle as a outside runner with a bit of grunt. Basically an upgraded Eagle minus the long left boot. I know there are queries about him in big games, but he's won a premiership, so can't be too bad in the big ones -- I think he only suffers in comparison to his more decorated Geelong peers.

Would come cheap too.

Mantis
06-10-2009, 05:32 PM
We should definitely be interested in Wojcinski. Is fast, and also has the tank to play in the middle as a outside runner with a bit of grunt. Basically an upgraded Eagle minus the long left boot. I know there are queries about him in big games, but he's won a premiership, so can't be too bad in the big ones -- I think he only suffers in comparison to his more decorated Geelong peers.

Would come cheap too.

Trade or salary wise?

The first bolded line is an over-rated comment, there have been plenty of dud players lucky enough to play in a premiership team.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 05:37 PM

Eagle's long left boot is probably his biggest asset!

Hot_Doggies
06-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Not sure how happy Everitt, Reid, Stack , Wood, Hill etc etc would be with trading for Wojinski.

Can understand taking him if we cut Eagleton, Callan and Addison.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Trade or salary wise?

The first bolded line is an over-rated comment, there have been plenty of dud players lucky enough to play in a premiership team.

Roberts-Thompson, IMHO, the worst player I have ever seen with a premiership medallion.

chef
06-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Roberts-Thompson, IMHO, the worst player I have ever seen with a premiership medallion.

I can remember him being Sydneys best player in the 2005 Grand Final.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Wojak cold be handy pick up. I would be trading (probably) DFA though. DFA, Callan and Wojak for one HBF spot is too many. I would do that though if we had some left over cash. Not sure what the asking price is, perhaps a second rounder and they cover some of his salary???

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
No to Wojak for mine.

He's fast, but thats it. He looks much better than he actually is at Geelong because of their dominance over the past 3 years. Even in that period, he's been in and out of their side. On paper he looks enticing because he carries the football and breaks lines. Reality is, he's inconsistent, turns the ball over and despite his pace gets caught with the ball (See: '09 Grand Final on the wing).

Unless he came absolutely dirt cheap (which he won't), I wouldn't bother with him at all.

Sedat
06-10-2009, 06:12 PM
No to Wojak for mine.

He's fast, but thats it. He looks much better than he actually is at Geelong because of their dominance over the past 3 years. Even in that period, he's been in and out of their side. On paper he looks enticing because he carries the football and breaks lines. Reality is, he's inconsistent, turns the ball over and despite his pace gets caught with the ball (See: '09 Grand Final on the wing).

Unless he came absolutely dirt cheap (which he won't), I wouldn't bother with him at all.
Agreed, give me a home grown project like Easton Wood any day of the week in this role, whose best is very much still to come.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 07:05 PM
No to Wojak for mine.

It's precisely because it's a dominant team that he's struggled to get into it -- he would walk into any other side.

And everyone remembers the one time he got caught, but I remember Gablett getting caught holding the ball when we played them, so he must be a dud?

He will -- the Cats have to free up some cap room, and they've shown with King and Tim Callan that they're very willing to play ball and take a dirt cheap trade to look after their former players and get them to where they want to go.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Agreed, give me a home grown project like Easton Wood any day of the week in this role, whose best is very much still to come.

I love Easton as much as the next guy, but is he ready to play 22 games + finals next year, which is the timeframe we're talking about?

To me, Woj would be actually competing with Eagle for a spot and I think that he's a far superior option.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Trade or salary wise?

Good point -- but my point was that he probably suffers in comparison to his more illustrious Geelong counterparts and that he's actually a very solid contributor.

He would be cheap trade-wise, I would suggest. Not sure about what he's going rate is salary wise -- wouldn't be too great, considering he's a fringe player at the Cats.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2009, 07:28 PM
If Lake signs as reported, is that our cue in the rack now?

The Coon Dog
06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
If Lake signs as reported, is that our cue in the rack now?
Might see if they can trade out Skipper or O'Keefe perhaps.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Skipper to the Hawks/Swans for an upgrade in 5th round?

Slow rest of the week with Lake and Dre likely to stay now. I'm hapy enough with that, or any minor work we can do.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 08:48 PM

Ox said on the radio this afternoon, that he had been given a strong hint that we were looking at trading Skipper to Richmond for Tuck.

Doc26
06-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Ox said on the radio this afternoon, that he had been given a strong hint that we were looking at trading Skipper to Richmond for Tuck.

Really. Must've missed that. Not a bad 'midfield' rotation option if it could be worked.

Scorlibo
06-10-2009, 09:01 PM

Draft picks would need to be exchanged, if we got Tuck for Skipper straight up that would be a bargain. But then again, why would we need Tuck?

chef
06-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Really. Must've missed that. Not a bad 'midfield' rotation option if it could be worked.

Being 29 and taking game time from Reid might work against him joining our club(plus the salary cap).

Doc26
06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Being 29 and taking game time from Reid might work against him joining our club(plus the salary cap).

Wasn't aware he was as old as that. Still IF we could get him for a straight Skip swap might be worth it to provide some midfield depth through the season to cover any key injuries that will arise at times although your point on game time for Reid (& Wood and Everitt) will also be necessary.

Dry Rot
06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Dre likely to stay now. .

Really? Good news. I'm not a great fan, but I reckon we need to see if he can produce the goods.

Hope Eade has some more fresh ideas about how to play him.

Doc26
06-10-2009, 10:17 PM

Just checked his age. Shane Tuck is currently 27 but will have turned 28 by start of the season.

GVGjr
06-10-2009, 10:22 PM

Yes I heard that but Tuck doesn't seem to be a good fit for us. He's an OK footballer but how much different is he to Cross and Boyd?

I think we would be adding more of the same.

comrade
06-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Yes I heard that but Tuck doesn't seem to be a good fit for us. He's an OK footballer but how much different is he to Cross and Boyd?

Is there anyone on the outer at Richmond who we might consider, taking our needs into account?

I can't think of one.

Rocco Jones
06-10-2009, 10:29 PM

I think Boyd has outgrown being bundled in with Cross as a good but limited, hard working player. However, I do see your point and really don't see much value in Tuck.

GVGjr
06-10-2009, 10:33 PM
I think Boyd has outgrown being bundled in with Cross as a good but limited, hard working player. However, I do see your point and really don't see much value in Tuck.

You are probably right but I also regard Reid in that hard working, not too quick or overly skilled label. Picken has some similar qualities as well.
Unless they have a plan to play Tuck as a half back flanker it just seems strange that we would be interested.
Having said that it would be a shame if Tuck wasn't playing for a side next season.

The Pie Man
06-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Is there anyone on the outer at Richmond who we might consider, taking our needs into account?

I can't think of one.

I have no idea if there was any cred to the report last year but the Hun once linked Schulz to us.

GVGjr
06-10-2009, 10:34 PM

I can't think of one.

A Tiger mate mentioned Pattison which would just be an exchange of 3rd option ruckman.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Might as well have kept Skipper if we are going to trade for Pattison.

Rocco Jones
06-10-2009, 10:38 PM
You are probably right but I also regard Reid in that hard working, not too quick or overly skilled label. Picken has some similar qualities as well.
Unless they have a plan to play Tuck as a half back flanker it just seems strange that we would be interested.
Having said that it would be a shame if Tuck wasn't playing for a side next season.

Totally agree with you that (especially the bit about me being right). :)

Playing Tuck as a HBF or a run with is the only way I think we would be interested. Could be an effort to turn us into a more defensive, hard working side.

Doc26
06-10-2009, 10:40 PM

For me it would come down to what we have to give up. Yes a similar type, which is not all a bad thing, although Boyd is definitely now up a notch on Cross and Tuck. A straight swap for Skip who hasn't been getting a game anyway provides some midfield depth. Would like to know we had contingency if Boyd, Cross, Higgins or Ward were to suffer a prolonged injury through the season.

GVGjr
06-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Might as well have kept Skipper if we are going to trade for Pattison.

It was just a Tiger mate saying it and I haven't seen enough of Pattison to know if he could add some value. I didn't give it too much consideration but Comrade asked:

We probably need a back-up ruckman.

Doc26
06-10-2009, 10:48 PM
It was just a Tiger mate saying it and I haven't seen enough of Pattison to know if he could add some value. I didn't give it too much consideration but Comrade asked:

Small smart forward. How about Nathan Brown ? :D

bornadog
06-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I can't see why we need to do any more trading at all, unless its to trade for picks only. Dre is a required player and I doubt we will get anything for the delisted players.

I would like us to concentrate on the players we have , plus the up coming draft.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 10:53 PM
I can't see why we need to do any more trading at all, unless its to trade for picks only. Dre is a required player and I doubt we will get anything for the delisted players.

I would like us to concentrate on the players we have , plus the up coming draft.

Spot on michael.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 10:56 PM

Yes but why would trade for someone of equal or less quality than we just delisted? I haven't seen anything from Pattison to suggest otherwise and he isn't good enough for Richmond as a 3rd ruck then its the same for us.

BulldogBelle
06-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Wojak
Think he is a decent player, just not the gut busting runner than we need to replace Eagleton...someone who can carry the ball, create space, has a great kick, can get a goal or two and can run into space to create opportunities for himself and options for his teammates

If he can get him for a 5th or 6th round pick and if he wants $200k per season then yeah, why not, dont think it will happen though

Pattison
Can I ask WHY?
Would rather get a younger, more hungry player for less than what we would have to give up for Pattison
Someone who could really develop a become a #1 ruckman in the future...I dont think Pattison will ever become one
Plus we have Roughead + Cordy waiting in the wings...they will be able to place senior roles in 2011, so think we really just need an insurance policy if Hudson/Minson get injured in 2010....someone like a Mumford from Geelong

Swoop
06-10-2009, 11:37 PM
HS website claims we'll be going after Nicoski. The only logical reason I can see is if they're intending on moving Harbrow up field. Doesn't make complete sense to me and it wouldn't give Callan much confidence.

Oh and by the way small mention made of Lake announcement being Wednesday.

Sockeye Salmon
06-10-2009, 11:48 PM
If we traded in Tuck, Reid would walk.

The sticking point with Reid's contract is not $$$ but game time.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2009, 12:12 AM
HS website claims we'll be going after Nicoski. The only logical reason I can see is if they're intending on moving Harbrow up field. Doesn't make complete sense to me and it wouldn't give Callan much confidence.

Oh and by the way small mention made of Lake announcement being Wednesday.

Interesting.

If the reports are true about Tuck and Nicoski, it's clear we're after another HBFer. Who would they possibly replace though? It'd be silly to move Harbrow IMO. Unless they aim to permenantly remove Gilbee from the back half - but again, I think it'd be silly. I can see some 'merit' in trading for another HBFer but I'd love to hear the thought exactly behind it.

Nicoski has been prety average for 2-3 years now. Perhaps worthy of a cheap pick-up, but that's about it.

Agreed that on face value it doesn't sound right. Reid looks ready, too.

As GVG suggested earlier, we might be after Tuck as a HBFer. That would be the only explanation if reports are true.

G-Mo77
07-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Tuck? Nicoski? Neither name has me jumping for joy. I really don't know a lot about Nicoski though.

Scraggers
07-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Tuck? Nicoski? Neither name has me jumping for joy. I really don't know a lot about Nicoski though.

He had great seasons in 05 / 06 IIRC ... was unlucky to not play in their grand final team. Started his career as a goal sneak, but has more recently been playing across half-back in a run type role ... very similar role to Gilbee

westbulldog
07-10-2009, 01:46 AM
From what I have seen here in the west, Nicoski would have to improve immeasurably to be anywhere near a real quality half back in our 2010 team. Light years between him and Lindsay Gilbee.

macca
07-10-2009, 02:08 AM
From what I have seen here in the west, Nicoski would have to improve immeasurably to be anywhere near a real quality half back in our 2010 team. Light years between him and Lindsay Gilbee.

Nicoski, is WC version of Farren Ray. Chokes under pressure, hand passes the ball all the time to players under pressure and clanger king. Sphangher has passed him in half flank role. No thanks. Invest in Bouman, make grant play a few games at half back, or give tiller a real hard decent go. Everitt, there ARE SEVERAL positions there for you. Stay, and work your guts off and you could become important to the team.

The Coon Dog
07-10-2009, 03:13 AM
Going by media reports St.Kilda would have offered us pick 16 for Everitt if they didn't trade for Lovett.

They are still keen & if they can secure a high pick from Collingwood for Like Ball, would still be interested.

I wonder if a possible 3 way deal looms with Everitt to St.Kilda, Ball to Collingwood & a player from there to the Bulldogs?

GVGjr
07-10-2009, 06:44 AM

Agreed. I don't mind him as a footballer but I can see the potential for Reid to believe he's being moved down the pecking order and that won't sit well with him.

GVGjr
07-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Yes but why would trade for someone of equal or less quality than we just delisted? I haven't seen anything from Pattison to suggest otherwise and he isn't good enough for Richmond as a 3rd ruck then its the same for us.

I don't know enough about Pattison to say he's any better than Skipper and I doubt it's a likely scenario.

ReLoad
07-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Tuck, Pattison, Nicoski, why, why why!

List cloggers all of them, Why would we bother with any of these guys, they would be lucky to get a game, and even if they were i would rather put game time into the younger kids, the only way to develop kids is to put games into them.

In all seriousness, if we manage to keep hold of Spider Jr, then he is the guy that should be playing that half back role, not tuck or Nicoski.

As for rucks, as much as Wade has given to us, its time for one of the young guys to have a go, again to get game time into them, its the only way they will develop. Bringing in Pattison is just shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.

Mantis
07-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Going by media reports St.Kilda would have offered us pick 16 for Everitt if the didn't trade for Lovett.

They are still keen & if they can secure o high pick from Collingwood for Like Ball, would still be interested.

I wonder if a possible 3 way deal looms with Everitt to St.Kilda, Ball to Collingwood & a player from there to the Bulldogs?

On the radio this morning it was suggested that Collingwood will try and trade a player to WC for their early 2nd rd pick (22??). Collingwood will on-trade this pick to St.Kilda for Luke Ball. St.Kilda will on-trade this pick to us for Everitt.

Fantasia on SEN just before 7.30am re-iterated that Everitt is very much a required player.

The Coon Dog
07-10-2009, 08:09 AM
On the radio this morning it was suggested that Collingwood will try and trade a player to WC for their early 2nd rd pick (22??). Collingwood will on-trade this pick to St.Kilda for Luke Ball. St.Kilda will on-trade this pick to us for Everitt.

Fantasia on SEN just before 7.30am re-iterated that Everitt is very much a required player.

I would rather keep Everitt than trade him for pick 22.

chef
07-10-2009, 08:18 AM
I would rather keep Everitt than trade him for pick 22.

Me too, if we are going to trade him i'd prefer to get a young player who will fill our needs.

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Since yesterday, the trade tracker has shown that Sydney and Brisbane traded picks 47 and 39. I gather that this means that at this stage pick 39 is most likely now ours?

G-Mo77
07-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Since yesterday, the trade tracker has shown that Sydney and Brisbane traded picks 47 and 39. I gather that this means that at this stage pick 39 is most likely now ours?

It just looks like they have upgraded their pick for what reason I don't know? I doubt it has anything to do with us.

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 08:58 AM
When it was TBC there was talk about us giving them a pick and then them giving us less valuable one back wasn't there? Now that I think about it, 39 is pretty low in that scenario so it probably doesn't have much to do with us as you say G-Mo77.
Maybe they're gearing up for a 3 way...

G-Mo77
07-10-2009, 09:05 AM
When it was TBC there was talk about us giving them a pick and then them giving us less valuable one back wasn't there? Now that I think about it, 39 is pretty low in that scenario so it probably doesn't have much to do with us as you say G-Mo77.
Maybe they're gearing up for a 3 way...

We traded them pick #47 for Hall, so they're not going to give #39 back to us. I think we'll swap 4th Round picks with them later in the week. This deal may have had something to do with the first deal that the Swans and Lions made Monday. That's my guess anyway.

Go_Dogs
07-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Not particularly interested in Tuck or Nicoski and would be pretty surprised if we added either for the hbf role, when our backline is already struggling to squeeze everyone in.

Sedat
07-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Nicoski is a spud. Has a kick like a mule but has a tendency to just boot it without looking. Also lacks defensive intent and is far too loose on his direct opponent.

Tuck would actually fit in well at a club that needs inside midfield hard nuts - that club certainly isn't us.

Unless we get an attractive offer for Everitt, I hope we do nothing else for the rest of the week - would much rather see the likes of Reid and Wood further being developed and becoming increasingly important players in our structure.

Mofra
07-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Can Nicoski play wing? May be a long-kick succession plan for Eagle.

Sedat
07-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Can Nicoski play wing? May be a long-kick succession plan for Eagle.
Not sure of his gut running capacity or his pace off the mark - suspect he might lack in both but I'm not 100% sure.

Hotdog60
07-10-2009, 10:20 AM
The only thing about Everitt, is did he have a sook after being dropped or couldn't he get into the game at Willy. If he was being a sook do we want him, with that sort of attitude his better off elsewhere and get something for him.

If it's the later, I would hang on to him because doesn't he play the Eagle type role?

Why not put our Kids to the test and then we won't die wondering if their any good.

Desipura
07-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Power, McMahon, Ray and Everitt.........
it is fairly obvious we are looking at moving on those players that lack intensity.
St Kilda and more to the point Matthew Drain, still sees a fair bit of value in the abovementioned minus Power.

bulldogsman
07-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Nicoski is a spud. Has a kick like a mule but has a tendency to just boot it without looking. Also lacks defensive intent and is far too loose on his direct opponent.

Tuck would actually fit in well at a club that needs inside midfield hard nuts - that club certainly isn't us.

Unless we get an attractive offer for Everitt, I hope we do nothing else for the rest of the week - would much rather see the likes of Reid and Wood further being developed and becoming increasingly important players in our structure.

I don't understand it either

Topdog
07-10-2009, 11:01 AM
The only thing about Everitt, is did he have a sook after being dropped or couldn't he get into the game at Willy. If he was being a sook do we want him, with that sort of attitude his better off elsewhere and get something for him.

If it's the later, I would hang on to him because doesn't he play the Eagle type role?

Why not put our Kids to the test and then we won't die wondering if their any good.

If he has a sook is it really worth trading him over?

Not many 20 year olds are very mature and able to handle disappointment well.

hujsh
07-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Apparently Hawks have offered Campbell Brown as part of a trade for Burgoyne. Hawks supporters all over SEN threatening to cancel their memberships next year.

Clarkson yet to meet with Brown to discuss the trade though he is reportedly furious.

Some suggestion as well that he has been out of favour since his reaction in the Essendon game which is somewhat hypocritical considering Clarkson was fined as well

I guess this is why Sockeye Salmon always says trading is the work of the devil.

Go_Dogs
07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
I think it is a reasonable trade for Hawthorn, emotional sentiment aside. Will be interesting to see how it develops over the next 24 hours with Melbourne apparently poised to make a good offer if Hawks can't get the deal done.

Topdog
07-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Brown is very important to the Hawks setup IMO so I am a bit surprised that they are giving up him and pick 9. for an injury prone 29? year old.

chef
07-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Brown is very important to the Hawks setup IMO so I am a bit surprised that they are giving up him and pick 9. for an injury prone 29? year old.

Turns 27 this month.

Go_Dogs
07-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Turns 27 this month.

Yep, as long as his knee holds up he'll have another 5 or so years left.

hujsh
07-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Kennett on SEN saying they did not offer Brown.

Topdog
07-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Surprised to head turning 27. Thought he'd be turning 28 at least.

Hotdog60
07-10-2009, 02:10 PM
If he has a sook is it really worth trading him over?

Not many 20 year olds are very mature and able to handle disappointment well.

Is that a Gen Y thing, he should have worked his butt off to get back in especially after the cats game he may have got a look.:)

hujsh
07-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Given the statement that we're "unlikely to seek any other trades this week." I take it we couldn't find that small forward we were after.

The Coon Dog
07-10-2009, 04:19 PM

Interesting terminology, probably from the same source. ;)

* Mark Stevens* From: Herald Sun* October 07, 2009 12:00AM

The Bulldogs yesterday agreed to give up their third-round pick for Hall. Both clubs will also swap late picks on Friday in the "steak knives" part of the arrangement.

Long-term buzz on Barry Hall (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/long-term-buzz-on-barry-hall/story-e6frf9nx-1225783552297)

jazzadogs
07-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Given the statement that we're "unlikely to seek any other trades this week." I take it we couldn't find that small forward we were after.
And also not as keen on Nicoski as was reported.

chef
07-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Fev for Bradshaw and rischitelli

As reported in the Age..
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...701056256.html

Also in the Hun.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225783885504

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 04:57 PM
TRADE NEWS: Western Bulldogs utility Andrejs Everitt looks set to leave Whitten Oval despite the Dogs claiming he is a required player (1 hr ago)

(From Adam White's twitter)

As many have said, this guy has been accurate. I'm intrigued as to what we are getting offered in return. I'm guessing a 1st/2nd round pick to free up some space in the salary cap.

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 05:09 PM
TRADE NEWS: Western Bulldogs utility Andrejs Everitt looks set to leave Whitten Oval despite the Dogs claiming he is a required player (1 hr ago)

Hey Hill, could you possibly copy the link of the website where you got this info from, i want to read about it.

chef
07-10-2009, 05:15 PM

As many have said, this guy has been accurate. I'm intrigued as to what we are getting offered in return. I'm guessing a 1st/2nd round pick to free up some space in the salary cap.

After the events of the last two days, I can live with this. Nothing can take this smile from my face:).

jazzadogs
07-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Hey Hill, could you possibly copy the link of the website where you got this info from, i want to read about it.
I'd say this is your best bet. It's not a story, just a tweet.

http://twitter.com/Whitey927

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 05:16 PM
I reckon CHB is still a bit of a problem - do we put our trust into Tom Williams or Boumann or do we have enough space in the salary cap for Matt Maguire - who is looking for a new club....

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 05:18 PM

After the events of the last two days, I can live with this. Nothing can take this smile from my face:).

Agreed. Especially if it means that we can re-sign Aker for another year. That may be looking at the situation short-termed, but Aker is more important to our flag chances next year than Everitt.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2009, 05:18 PM
I reckon CHB is still a bit of a problem - do we put our trust into Tom Williams or Boumann or do we have enough space in the salary cap for Matt Maguire - who is looking for a new club....
I think the 'goose' is cooked...

We shouldn't go near him.

bornadog
07-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Maguire is not tall enough and too slow.

bornadog
07-10-2009, 05:25 PM

Agreed. Especially if it means that we can re-sign Aker for another year. That may be looking at the situation short-termed, but Aker is more important to our flag chances next year than Everitt.

who the hell is whitey?

G-Mo77
07-10-2009, 05:29 PM
who the hell is whitey?

Adam White from Sports927.

His tweets have been the best source of news all week.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2009, 05:29 PM
who the hell is whitey?
A weird albino fella from 'Me, Myself and Irene'.

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the link hillshow and jazzadogs. Much appreciated

lemmon
07-10-2009, 05:31 PM
I still wouldnt be happy letting Everitt go, he's the type of player that could flourish and I dont want it to be at a differant club.

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 05:32 PM
My favourite so far this trade period is everyday a new club involved with a rumour for Fev, the next day its totally denied by that club.
Carlton still looking for its patsy.

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't know, today's rumor seems pretty real.
reported on Ten news and Brisbane radio as done i think.

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 06:12 PM
I don't know, today's rumor seems pretty real.
reported on Ten news and Brisbane radio as done i think.

Like the Swans one yesterday or the Pies one the day before or the Bulldogs one b4 that?
If Fev is traded its highly likely to be a poor deal for Carlton unless a club has a brain fade. Not sure Carlton believe that they aren't in a position of power here.

LostDog
07-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Well if there is, you have a funny way of showing it!

The amount of disrespect you can dish out to your fellow Doggies supporters from time to time is very ordinary, such with myself all because i used 3 words "from all reports" when posting about a news item from the past, and unfortunatly, as i have been told, you have a habit of doing it to others in the past, and going by a few that will stand up to you, a few are getting pretty sick and tired by the treatment you can give out...and make no mistake, i made myself stay clear for a few days from posting i was that worked up!

Sockeye Salmon also made a remark, but he has the nads to apologise, unlike yourself who just kept banging on about the subject just to make yourself look like some sort of hero, and continue making the subject go round in circles just so you have the final say.

I came to this forum thinking you bloody ripper, a great forum with only passionate Doggies supporters, not having to put up with the bullshit & trolls from sites like Big Footy [as you state quite often], being able to debate just like having a convo around a barby with some of your mates.

You do come out with some good healty debate from time to time, and some quality posts, but unfortunalty let yourself down with the disrespect you can show.

here here

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 07:45 PM
1 and a bit days left, should be pretty interesting tomorrow as time pressure starts to creep in.

Im mixed in thinking that the Doggies will shut up shop now, and that we'll have one big trade left (quality player out, quality player in).

chef
07-10-2009, 08:32 PM
What are St.Kilda thinking:confused:

Brett Peake for pick 48

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/85838/default.aspx

Rocco Jones
07-10-2009, 08:38 PM

Brett Peake for pick 48

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/85838/default.aspx

St.Kilda and I must be the only fans of this guy. Maybe his mum as well.

Dry Rot
07-10-2009, 08:47 PM

ttp://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/85838/default.aspx[/url]

Maybe their recruitment is away on long service leave?

Jasper
07-10-2009, 08:55 PM

I enjoy coming on here for a read and to talk to other Bulldog supporters and I dont think there is a better place to do it. I wont let one guy with a chip spoil it for me.

Jasper
07-10-2009, 08:56 PM
I cant see a reason why they would want him. Hes a plodder with suspect skills.

chef
07-10-2009, 08:56 PM

What do you like in Peake?

Jasper
07-10-2009, 08:58 PM
1 and a bit days left, should be pretty interesting tomorrow as time pressure starts to creep in.

Im mixed in thinking that the Doggies will shut up shop now, and that we'll have one big trade left (quality player out, quality player in).
How many trades will get done this year ? The feeding frenzy normally starts at midday on the Friday but so many have already been completed.

Rocco Jones
07-10-2009, 09:06 PM
What do you like in Peake?

Pace and carry. I must say that I haven't many Freo games in the last year or two and my rating comes from thinking he had potential to work on a few glaring issues (mostly his lack of composure). At 26, the 'potential' tag is at the very least is wearing thin.

I think getting away from Freo will help him out and he is the type of played who is really suited to being in a gun team.

dog town
07-10-2009, 09:26 PM
I cant see a reason why they would want him. Hes a plodder with suspect skills. Being a plodder is not one of his deficiencies.

Dogz-21
07-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Peake just has something about him. X-factor perhaps?

AndrewP6
07-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Peake just has something about him. X-factor perhaps?

Quite a few here have already put an X beside his name... :)

I don't really know much of the guy... played well against us once I believe...

The Doctor
07-10-2009, 09:34 PM
would much rather Eagle for another year than Peake.

Sedat
07-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Your Brett Peake fan club is still bigger than my Jay Schulz one :D

Rocco Jones
07-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Your Brett Peake fan club is still bigger than my Jay Schulz one :D

:) It's sad but I was almost too afraid to post about how I don't think he is that much of a dud. I urge anyone who thinks Brett Peake isn't that much of a dud to come out of the closet and be loud and proud.

dog town
07-10-2009, 09:56 PM
:) It's sad but I was almost too afraid to post about how I don't think he is that much of a dud. I urge anyone who thinks Brett Peake isn't that much of a dud to come out of the closet and be loud and proud. My head is peaking out of the closet with a hint of embarrassment.

Sedat
07-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Peake leads the AFL in shin kicks to advantage

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2009, 09:58 PM
would much rather Eagle for another year than Peake.

Same.

At least Eagleton can kick a ball.

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 09:59 PM
here here

Who are you? If you have a problem with me why don't speak to me directly rather than through other posts or members.

Rocco Jones
07-10-2009, 09:59 PM
My head is peaking out of the closet with a hint of embarrassment.

I seriously think he can work in a quality side. I think playing for Freo hasn't helped him (dad's rep, being crap for so long).

I am going into hiding now.

dog town
07-10-2009, 10:03 PM
The shin comments scared me back into the cupboard. ;) You are on your own.

Rocco Jones
07-10-2009, 10:07 PM
The shin comments scared me back into the cupboard. ;) You are on your own.

mjp made a comment about how his fans must just watch the highlights of Freo games. They scared me off for a bit. If he does well, I am going to give everyone a big "I told you so". If he sucks, the last few posts were vintage Rocco Jones ironical love for a dud comments.

AndrewP6
07-10-2009, 10:08 PM
:) It's sad but I was almost too afraid to post about how I don't think he is that much of a dud. I urge anyone who thinks Brett Peake isn't that much of a dud to come out of the closet and be loud and proud.

Just saw on the "Confirmed Trades" thread... Peake has been traded to St Kilda. So you miss out... ;)

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Jolly to Collingwood for Picks 14 & 46.

I'd be absolutely filthy if I was a Swans fan. That's a very, very poor deal for one of the best ruckman in the comp.

Mofra
07-10-2009, 10:21 PM

Brett Peake for pick 48

Roos made a habit of taking fringe players from other teams - got 1 Premiership & a kick away from a second.

Lyon (as a Roos graduate) got within 2 kicks of a Premiership this year with a heap of discards and cheap trades for "fringe types".
The premiership captain is at his second club; ditto their main F50 target and first ruck.

Is perhaps the obsession with youth and trying to pick the next Brian Lake with late round draft picks perhaps not the best strategy to always fall back on? Recycled & traded types tend to be the difference between success & failure going to recent results.

We were only a whisker behind the Saints & Geelong this year, and our side included Hudson, Callan & Aker who were old, barely fringe & old virtual discard respectively. We paid barely anything for the three of them.

I'm going to give Lyon the benefit of the doubt with this one.

GVGjr
07-10-2009, 10:25 PM

I'd be absolutely filthy if I was a Swans fan. That's a very, very poor deal for one of the best ruckman in the comp.

I would have thought it's hard to get a lot more though. Fev would be worth 2 first round picks and a good player most years. Whats the rumor at the moment? Bradshaw and Rischitelli? Carlton supporters won't be happy.

Sedat
07-10-2009, 10:27 PM

Interesting. Pick 14 will be in play for Fev obviously, which means pick 14 might be on-traded to the Dogs for Everitt?

Would it be too cheeky of us to expect pick 46 to now be part of the Barry Hall steak knives pick swap with Sydney?

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 10:31 PM

I'm filthy cos I hate the pies and thats a good deal for a type of player they need.

Scorlibo
07-10-2009, 10:40 PM

What is he? 28? If so that's a wonderful deal for Sydney, pick 14 should secure them a long term senior player and pick 46 is around where we got Boumann and Wood, just for arguments sake. Jolly might only have 3 more years in him, given the fragility of ruckmen towards the latter stages of their AFL careers.

Plus, I would hold serious question marks over the effectiveness of Jolly in another team. Sydney would find a stoppage at every opportunity, which not only pumped up Jolly's stats but also allowed him to tire the opposition ruckman through constant ruck contests.

Sydney now have picks 6, 14, 28, 38, 39, 46 and 54.

And all they have lost is Jolly (3 years of good service left), Buchanen (ditto) and Hall (was sacked anyway).

Well done to the Swans, they have kept their excellent trade record intact.

Sedat
07-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm filthy cos I hate the pies and thats a good deal for a type of player they need.
Agreed. Shattered that they now have a quality ruckman for the first time in 20 years. This trade unfortunately makes them a contender in the next few years. All the Wally's out there will be shattered that they haven't gone hard for Fev but they desprately needed a quality ruckman - much like us 2 years ago getting Hudson, which has been a major factor in getting us from bottom 4 in '07 to top 4 since then.

Supposedly Mumford is on Sydney's sights for one of their later picks to fill the void left by Jolly. Not bad compensation but still short of the quality mark of a Jolly.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2009, 10:52 PM

Same. They would be over the moon considering their ruck division has been very poor for a long time.

What is he? 28? If so that's a wonderful deal for Sydney, pick 14 should secure them a long term senior player and pick 46 is around where we got Boumann and Wood, just for arguments sake. Jolly might only have 3 more years in him, given the fragility of ruckmen towards the latter stages of their AFL careers.

Plus, I would hold serious question marks over the effectiveness of Jolly in another team. Sydney would find a stoppage at every opportunity, which not only pumped up Jolly's stats but also allowed him to tire the opposition ruckman through constant ruck contests.

Sydney now have picks 6, 14, 28, 38, 39, 46 and 54.

And all they have lost is Jolly (3 years of good service left), Buchanen (ditto) and Hall (was sacked anyway).

Well done to the Swans, they have kept their excellent trade record intact.

I think Jolly is 27. He has 4 years of solid service IMO. He's been pretty durable and hasn't suffered any bad injuries.

Ruckmen flourish when they hit 25/26. He's in his prime right now and is arguably the best ruck in the competition. His body on body work is fantastic, his tap work very good, very mobile and he's capable of going forward at times. Pick 46 isn't great in a shallow draft for this type of rare player. Jolly's market value should be around Pick 14 + a quality young player (Beams or Sidebottom).

For whatever reason, Sydney have decided to take the bait relatively early. It might be to take a shot at Fevola as Sedat suggested.

FWIW I don't think Sydney have got a great track record in terms of trading. Pick 22 for Seaby is over paying. The guy hasn't even been able to crack a spot in a side with Cox injured. They also traded away Schneider and Dempster away for absolutely nothing a few years ago to St. Kilda who have done very well out of that trade. Coupled with this Jolly deal, I'd say Sydney aren't strong enough at the trade table.

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Agreed. Shattered that they now have a quality ruckman for the first time in 20 years. This trade unfortunately makes them a contender in the next few years. All the Wally's out there will be shattered that they haven't gone hard for Fev but they desprately needed a quality ruckman - much like us 2 years ago getting Hudson, which has been a major factor in getting us from bottom 4 in '07 to top 4 since then.
Sure it wasn't delisting Street that did it? :)

Supposedly Mumford is on Sydney's sights for one of their later picks to fill the void left by Jolly. Not bad compensation but still short of the quality mark of a Jolly.

I thought they got Seaby as well

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 10:57 PM
I think Sydney realised that Hawthorn (who needed a ruck more than Collingwood) were going to be impossible to deal so what ever Collingwood would give them was the best they could do.

Sedat
07-10-2009, 10:59 PM
They did but Sydney loves having a tag team duo in the ruck - 2009 was the first time in years that they haven't had one and it was a heavy burden for Jolly. Jesse White chopped him out a little this year but he is their long-term key forward project, so they would be more than happy to have Seaby and Mumford sharing the ruck duties in 2010 and beyond - I also don't think they have anyone decent coming through as a ruck prospect.

They should be able to get Mumford on the cheap with a late pick as Geelong desperately need salary cap relief.

jazzadogs
Sure it wasn't delisting Street that did it? :)

Seaby was recruited as back-up for Jolly. Now they need back-up for Seaby/first ruck.

LostDoggy
Coupled with this Jolly deal, I'd say Sydney aren't strong enough at the trade table.

They get it back with interest in other ways ie previous draft concessions, salary cap bonuses, os player recruitment, etc.
The AFL need them strong there is no way they will miss out.