PDA

View Full Version : Jim Stynes now fighting brain tumour

The Coon Dog
01-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Foxsports Website

Melbourne Demons great Jim Stynes' has revealed on social networking site Twitter that he is now battling a brain tumour.

The 43-year-old revealed in June that he was battling cancer and stepped aside from his post as president of the club.

Stynes is remaining positive, telling an online audience that he would know the outcome of tests soon.

"Small bump on recover, little tumour on brain, will know soon,'' Stynes wrote on Twitter.

Article in full... (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26153181-23211,00.html)

Terrible news & I wish Jim & his family all the best & hope he comes through this.

Rocco Jones
01-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Shocking news. Was genuinely taken aback hearing that news today.

Seems like a great guy, wish him all the best.

Doc26
01-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks TCD for the news albeit terrible for Jim, family and friends.

Keep fighting Jim, the very best to you.

AndrewP6
01-10-2009, 11:37 PM
God, what horrible news... all the best Jim.

Dry Rot
01-10-2009, 11:40 PM
What was the original cancer/tumour?

ED: Just searched - it was originally in his back - now it's spread and he's ****ed.

Pretty poor that that his beloved club tanked in the last season he'll see.

Never saw him play - what was he like?

The Coon Dog
01-10-2009, 11:45 PM
It was a cancerous lump in his back that had spread.

Emotional Stynes reveals shock cancer news (http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/emotional-stynes-reveals-shock-cancer-news-20090702-d601.html)

LostDoggy
01-10-2009, 11:45 PM

ED: Just searched - it was originally in his back - now it's spread and he's ****ed.

How do you know he is going to die. Aren't they still waiting for test results? Not every dies from a brain tumour...

LostDoggy
01-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Seems like a great bloke. All the best to him, and anyone else in that position:(

Dry Rot
01-10-2009, 11:51 PM
It was a cancerous lump in his back that had spread.

Emotional Stynes reveals shock cancer news (http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/emotional-stynes-reveals-shock-cancer-news-20090702-d601.html)

Thanks. Got a very recent pic of him?

How do you know he is going to die. Aren't they still waiting for test results? Not every dies from a brain tumour...

Know much about metastatic cancer? Sadly it's highly likely he's ****ed.

AndrewP6
02-10-2009, 12:03 AM
http://images.watoday.com.au/2009/07/02/614584/article-stynes2-420x0.jpg

Sockeye Salmon
02-10-2009, 12:07 AM

Secondary mets are not good.

Dry Rot
02-10-2009, 12:10 AM
http://images.watoday.com.au/2009/07/02/614584/article-stynes2-420x0.jpg

Sorry, I saw a very recent one and he looks ****ed.

Dry Rot
02-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Secondary mets are not good.

Sadly, agreed.

I'm no doctor but I've worked on oncology drugs and my best guess is that the first one they found in his back was a secondary, and it's rapidly spread since then.

LostDoggy
02-10-2009, 12:23 AM
How do they treat metastatic cancer when it's spread like that? What just a combo of radiation and chemo, but how do they get all the cells. I'm a little confused with how they CAN treat cancer that is metastatic.

Dry Rot
02-10-2009, 12:27 AM
How do they treat metastatic cancer when it's spread like that?

Do their best with chemo and radiation knowing that the patient is ****ed, and than eventually palliative care (lots of drugs), and they die in a lot of pain.

The brave ones forgo chemo and radiation and when it gets real bad, top themselves.

Happy Days
02-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Horrible news, my best wishes go out to the Stynes family.

Remi Moses
02-10-2009, 06:43 AM
What a shocking horrid thing to happen to anyone,let alone a great human being in Jimmy Stynes:(:(

Mofra
02-10-2009, 10:38 AM
One of the most respected figures in football, awful news

The Adelaide Connection
02-10-2009, 01:32 PM

I have gotta say mate, regardless of how perilous his situation is and how much you do/don't know about this type of cancer, I feel that you could show a little more sensitivity when offering your opinion. This isn't a comment about whether a player is leaving or staying or commentary on a game, it's a persons life.

LostDoggy
02-10-2009, 02:21 PM
I agree with TAC. And for what its worth I don't think anyone could or should suggest that Stynes has been beaten by cancer in light of this news.
I have known of a number of people who have fought aggressive cancers and are still alive today, against pretty much all odds. They each have displayed the power, will, strength and belief that Stynes has so far displayed. As long as he has hope, then he has a chance. I hope that he and his family get some good news soon.

LostDoggy
02-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I too was upset when hearing the news last night. Having seen his career with Melbourne, it feels like I know him, even though I've never met him. Hopefully it's something they can somehow treat. Thoughts are with he & his family. Poor bugger. :(

Topdog
02-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Do their best with chemo and radiation knowing that the patient is ****ed, and than eventually palliative care (lots of drugs), and they die in a lot of pain.

The brave ones forgo chemo and radiation and when it gets real bad, top themselves.

Unfortunately the doctors always remain optimistic, which often gives false hope. Really not looking good for Jim here. Once cancer spreads like that it is almost impossible to recover from it.

LostDoggy
02-10-2009, 03:37 PM
How is saying ****ed over and over and over in this thread, discussing the health and life of a fellow human being, helpful? Some of you are really dickheads sometimes.

The Coon Dog
02-10-2009, 03:45 PM
How is saying ****ed over and over and over in this thread, discussing the health and life of a fellow human being, helpful? Some of you are really dickheads sometimes.

Lantern, as I see it only one poster has used that term, pretty unfair on the rest of us who have posted in this thread about a wonderful human being who has done so much to help so many.

LostDoggy
02-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Lantern, as I see it only one poster has used that term, pretty unfair on the rest of us who have posted in this thread about a wonderful human being who has done so much to help so many.

True.

Very uncool though, wouldn't you agree?

GVGjr
02-10-2009, 06:43 PM
How is saying ****ed over and over and over in this thread, discussing the health and life of a fellow human being, helpful? .

It isn't helpful and the fact that it's been repeated so many times doesn't show a lot of respect.

I intend to get this thread back on track and I'll just remove any more comments like that or if they are off the topic.

KT31
02-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Very sad news.
Not only a great sportman but a gentleman.
Jim has done heaps of charity work and I
hope it all goes well for Jim and his family.

The Pie Man
02-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Very sad news.
Not only a great sportman but a gentleman.
Jim has done heaps of charity work and I
hope it all goes well for Jim and his family.

Well said - I hold out hope that the scan on the rest of his body came clean.

Postive thoughts - never heard a bad word about Jim, he seems a lovely fella

My father in law is currently battling a tumor in is oesophagus, but it's been identified as the only one after many tests so that's a positive (hence the treatment to fix) Awful stuff

Max469
02-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Gentleman Jim

What a man - I wish him and the family all the best.

I heard on Grand final day, that things weren't too good with Jimmy.

mighty_west
02-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Wishing Jim all the very best.

Life can be so cruel sometimes, one of the truly great guys. :(

lemmon
02-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Agree with the sentiments guys. All the best to Jim and the Stynes family.

LostDoggy
03-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Poor Jim - I feel for him and his family and his kids - Cancer is horrible and to have to suffer in the public eye and feel that you have to keep everyone updated - that has to be very very hard!!!!

Personally, I think he is fighting an uphill battle ( that I hope he wins) but I did hear this morning that there was a number of tumors ( 3 I think ) and I wonder if you can operated and remove that many- Successfully??

He is only 43 and I know that when I heard his story this morning and then the terrible disasters overseas - it made me think how lucky I am and to be grateful for what I have. So be grateful that you are in a position to love your footy and enjoy it - he looked like he was in a lot of pain last time I saw him on TV.

LostDoggy
03-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Just read this and hadn't heard the news! I hope that Jim is able to maintain his positive attitude through this new diagnosis - very tough stuff. My very best wishes to Jim and his family.