PDA

View Full Version : Barry Hall: A definite chance for Coleman

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 08:12 PM
I know, I know what am i on about. But i think its a definite possibility. Think about it before he was sidelined by Sydney for the punch-up with Adelaide's Ben Rutten, he was in the top five for goal scoring. With a team like sydney where they dont have the class mid-fielders we have and with the amount of ball coming into the foward line. We are the highest scoring team this season and Bazza will give us the edge. It could well be a blessing. When Barry was a boy, he barracked for the Doggies and he desperate to make amends and revive his career. I reckon if he can get his head straight he is deinite chance for the Coleman medal.

What do you think?

The Coon Dog
06-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I'll just be happy if he contributes, be it kicking goals, blocking for a team mate, dishing off, bringing the ball to ground, chasing, tackling or shepherding.

BulldogBelle
06-10-2009, 08:18 PM
I think with Rockets multi-pronged attack a great season would be 50 goals from him. Unless we kick a truly ridiculous amount of goals which we are capable of doing.

I guess while Rocket was coaching us Johnno kicked 74 (?), but we've changed our ways since then.

LostDoggy
Not giving away any free kicks i hope.

LostDoggy
I know, I know what am i on about. But i think its a definite possibility. Think about it before he was sidelined by Sydney for the punch-up with Adelaide's Ben Rutten, he was in the top five for goal scoring. With a team like sydney where they dont have the class mid-fielders we have and with the amount of ball coming into the foward line. We are the highest scoring team this season and Bazza will give us the edge. It could well be a blessing. When Barry was a boy, he barracked for the Doggies and he desperate to make amends and revive his career. I reckon if he can get his head straight he is deinite chance for the Coleman medal.

What do you think?

Fevola won the Coleman at the Blues. He was pretty much the lone option. At the dogs we had;
Jason Akermanis- 39 (goals)
Brad Johnson-33
Josh Hill-32
Mitchell Hahn-32
Shaun Higgins-27
Lindsay Gilbee-22
Daniel Giansiracusa-20
Scott Welsh-19
Callan Ward-16
Matthew Boyd-15
Ryan Griffen-15
Will Minson-15
Nathan Eagleton-15
Adam Cooney-13
Robert Murphy-10
Where do you see all these extra goals coming from? (apart from Welsh retiring)

Higgins7
06-10-2009, 08:20 PM
hell do alright

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 08:23 PM
We can definitly rely on him to take some contested marks for us. If he can convert it, thats just as well. Thats where the extra goals will come from. Anyway if he doesnt kick those goals i'll be just as happy with him assisting.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2009, 08:25 PM
No chance. Eade himself said his role is not to kick 70 or 80. Eade doesn't want to change a gameplan that has been the highest scoring for many years. He presents another good option and a tall target for our pressure release kick. 50 goals at best. No chance at all.

LostDoggy
06-10-2009, 08:34 PM
We can definitly rely on him to take some contested marks for us. If he can convert it, thats just as well. Thats where the extra goals will come from. Anyway if he doesnt kick those goals i'll be just as happy with him assisting.

Good point. Regarding the free kicks, the Dogs averaged the least free kicks against in 2009 (15.9 per game). Hall averaged 2.2 free kicks against in 2009. Hopefully we can change his ways. (the free kicks part, not the gun forward part)

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_rankings?year=2009&type=TA&sby=9

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-sydney-swans--barry-hall

Mantis
06-10-2009, 09:55 PM

We can?

This year Hall played 11 games, but in 5 of those games he didn't register a contested mark.

Hall will add many things to our forwardline next year, but I don't think the ability to take 'big' contested marks will be one of those.

Dry Rot
06-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I know, I know what am i on about.

Hm, OK.

I reckon if he can get his head straight

What do you think?

Pretty big IF.

he is deinite chance for the Coleman medal.

Have we recruited this bloke too?

http://www.tuttocalciatori.net/Deinite_Matteo

More a midfielder, I understand.

Rocco Jones
06-10-2009, 10:20 PM
We can?

This year Hall played 11 games, but in 5 game of those games he didn't register a contested mark.

Hall will add many things to our forwardline next year, but I don't think the ability to take 'big' contested marks will be one of those.

His 15 contested marks in 11 games this year still earnt him the 5th highest average in the league.

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2009, 10:31 PM
I think we'd look for a similar output to what Welsh gave us in 2008

Welsh booted 43 in 2008 and was a good performer in terms of forward line pressure

With Hall being a bigger bodied and taller player I think we'd hope he throw his weight around more, particularly in big games, but there is no need, nor should there be any expectation about winning Colemans.

I am hoping Halls major achievements with us will team achivements.

Dry Rot
06-10-2009, 10:51 PM
As a matter of interest, how much have you all seen of Hall over the years, both TV games and live?

AndrewP6
06-10-2009, 11:43 PM
I thinkif he kicks 50 it would be a terrific effort... if he kicks less, but creates opportunities, makes contests, blocks for teammates, feeds open players, and pressures the ball inside 50 I'll be happy. Just his presence will change how opponents play our forwards. Can't see him winning the Coleman. Wouldn't want to see him kick a heap of goals whilst we drop games, which can happen (Fev, anyone?)

Dazza
06-10-2009, 11:54 PM
I get the feeling he won't be played as the sole focal point so I can't really see him getting anywhere near the coleman. What he does do is bring a hell of alot of options up forward and creates headaches for the oppositions backmen. A 40+ goal year would be a great return.

Remi Moses
07-10-2009, 06:57 AM
I get the feeling he won't be played as the sole focal point so I can't really see him getting anywhere near the coleman. What he does do is bring a hell of alot of options up forward and creates headaches for the oppositions backmen. A 40+ goal year would be a great return.

Agreed . Barry might thrive in this forward line

Mantis
07-10-2009, 08:39 AM
His 15 contested marks in 11 games this year still earnt him the 5th highest average in the league.

He took 8 of those in 2 games which included 5 against Hawthorn who really struggled for key defenders this year.

The Underdog
07-10-2009, 11:50 AM
As a matter of interest, how much have you all seen of Hall over the years, both TV games and live?

I've seen something he did in a game against West Coast over and over and over and over. Plus something from a game against Adelaide.
Only snippets, but I saw them a lot.
Apparently he used to spank Brian Lake quite regularly which probably loses him 5-6 goals a year.

Topdog
07-10-2009, 11:56 AM

A heap. Sydney being Grand Finalists 2 years in a row were on TV quite a lot and I loved watching them play.

Dry Rot
07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I've seen something he did in a game against West Coast over and over and over and over. Plus something from a game against Adelaide.
Only snippets, but I saw them a lot.

That kind of stuff remains my major concern.

Dry Rot
07-10-2009, 01:26 PM
A heap. Sydney being Grand Finalists 2 years in a row were on TV quite a lot and I loved watching them play.

Up here, we have the pleasure of every Swans game live plus I've been to quite a few Swans at the SCG, Manuka and Homebush. I'm just wondering how many here really appreciate his work rate up the ground. On the bigger grounds, he's like a giant O'Keefe.

While many quite rightly focus on what he can add from the goalsquare, he will be pretty handy at times helping get the ball out of defence when we're really bottled up and offer a real target when we aimlessly bomb it into the HF line.

When he's closer to goal, shame we don't have a genuine crumber.

Dogz-21
07-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Up here, we have the pleasure of every Swans game live plus I've been to quite a few Swans at the SCG, Manuka and Homebush. I'm just wondering how many here really appreciate his work rate up the ground. On the bigger grounds, he's like a giant O'Keefe.

While many quite rightly focus on what he can add from the goalsquare, he will be pretty handy at times helping get the ball out of defence when we're really bottled up and offer a real target when we aimlessly bomb it into the HF line.

Malcom Lynch?
In all seriousness 40-50 goals would be a good return from Hall.
It is interesting to see someone saying that in 5 of his games Hall did not take any contested marks. Hall often played primarily as a lead up forward in several matches, but he has shown he is quite capable of taking a contested mark, and I'm sure if Rocket asks him to play the role of a pack marking forward he will do so competently.

Mantis
08-10-2009, 09:43 AM

We do watch footy down here you know.

Yeah Aker really sucks at crumbing off a pack. :rolleyes:

Topdog
08-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Yeah Aker really sucks at crumbing off a pack. :rolleyes:

I don't think of Aker as a crumbing forward anymore. He gets most of his goals on the lead.

Having said that we haven't had too many opportunities for players to prove they are good at crumbing in the last 5-6 years.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't think of Aker as a crumbing forward anymore. He gets most of his goals on the lead.

Having said that we haven't had too many opportunities for players to prove they are good at crumbing in the last 5-6 years.
It will be interesting to see what crumbing skills we have in the side, as we haven't seen too much of them lately.

Twodogs
12-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Up here, we have the pleasure of every Swans game live plus I've been to quite a few Swans at the SCG, Manuka and Homebush.

I would think that I've seen on average 15-16 Swan games a year over the last 5 years. Before that I was obsessive and saw them all. I would have seen them play live in Melbourne 3 ir 4 times a year as well. I dont think that would be all that different to quite a few who post on this forum.

I can think of three of the top of my head. Higgins is the best front and centre type we have though, and he'll be one of the best in the AFL at it over the next couple of years before moving into the midfield full time. Like Cain says Aka go's alright too.

ledge
12-10-2009, 07:13 PM
We have heaps of crumbers just had no big forward to knock it to them.

I dont really care how many goals Hall kicks its the fact he takes the best backman, allowing poor old Johnno to be able to compete with someone more his size, thus moving the whole opposition backline down one rung.

All our forwards will now compete with a backman one rung down from before, thats what i see.

Twodogs
12-10-2009, 07:26 PM

There's no-one I'd rather have runningdown a loose ball anywhere in the forward 50. A bouncing ball anywhere near goal and all he needs is to get a hand and a foot and it nearly always goes through.

1eyedog
12-10-2009, 11:20 PM
I don't think we have a plethora of crumbing options but I think that Aker has been modeled into a leading forward because of a lack of big targets and/or reliable targets down there. Aker is a fantastic crumber, all creative smalls and mid size players are. I can think of a heap of goals Aker has crumbed over the past 2 seasons. I think he'll thrive next to Hall.

Harbrow is another interesting one. I know he looks comfortable in a BP and he finished top 6 in the Sutton but from what I have seen of him forward he reads the play well, is quick and looks dangerous. His only concern when forward was that he looked a bit premeditated and he rushed things a bit. I believe the stint down back will be a useful apprenticeship for Harbrow in terms of reading the play and becoming comfortable with the pace of the game. I'd like to see him forward as an option, provided we do not suffer greatly with his run and carry down back. For this reason, I believe Harbrow should go forward and Griffen should play off the half back line.

As for Hall I've seen him perhaps half a dozen times at the SCG. He makes the ground look small, he really is a monster and it's going to be weird seeing him up forward for us. He has a good tank too and is very adept at the 1 per centers. I hope he can keep his cool but I think he will enjoy our quick style of play. The bigger grounds suit him better IMO because he is very good at losing his direct opponent through doubling back and dummy leads, however, this ability is somewhat nullified at the SCG because the 2nd defender (usually Mickey O's opponent) is always within spoiling distance. I don't think Mickey O and Hall worked all that well together. Mickey O played as the main marking forward beside Barry too often IMO. Mick was often played out of a FP when he should of been played off a HFF about 50 metres out. That's just my opinion and I'm sure spreadsheets upon spreadsheets of stats would deconstruct the premise that Hall and Mickey O did not work well together, but I always thought Mickey O should be played further up the ground.

LostDoggy
01-11-2009, 07:26 PM
I dont really care how many goals Hall kicks its the fact he takes the best backman, allowing poor old Johnno to be able to compete with someone more his size, thus moving the whole opposition backline down one rung.

I agree with that 100%,
Thats what i want him to do, play a decoying roll and give our fowards a better chance and IF IF he takes some big contested marks and converts, well thats a WIN WIN situation isn't it. Thats if he doesn't whack no-one and get himself reported. God wouldn't want to see that happen would we.

Dogz-21
03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Bump

The Coon Dog
03-08-2010, 09:54 PM
No chance. Eade himself said his role is not to kick 70 or 80. Eade doesn't want to change a gameplan that has been the highest scoring for many years. He presents another good option and a tall target for our pressure release kick. 50 goals at best. No chance at all.

Sorry BT, couldn't help myself. :D

BulldogBelle
03-08-2010, 10:22 PM
I was definitely worried, but luckily I didn't embarrass myself too much. :D

LostDoggy
04-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Good find Dogz21. Interesting to read back.

Mofra
04-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Interesting to read the chat on crumbers too, especially since Aker's been cut (his form was poor anyway) and Stack & Hill haven't been pushing for selection.

BulldogBelle
04-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Taken out at the start of the year

I have $6,000 on him for the Bulldogs premiership / Coleman double.

Also have $8,000 on Higgins for Brownlow / Bulldogs premiership double, guess that's down the drain.

Available now

I think that for the Brownlow, Griffen at 125-1 available for a place is reasonable.

Dancin' Douggy
05-08-2010, 09:31 PM
One of the great side effects of Baz is that he's the feel good story of the "damaged goods" player trade.
And in a sense is taking the spotlight off Aker and his fall from Grace.

LostDoggy
05-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Taken out at the start of the year

I have $6,000 on him for the Bulldogs premiership / Coleman double.

Also have $8,000 on Higgins for Brownlow / Bulldogs premiership double, guess that's down the drain.

Available now

I think that for the Brownlow, Griffen at 125-1 available for a place is reasonable.

I take it that it's to win that much and not the size of the bets. Not even im that silly to bet that much JC. Good Luck either way. I backed Cooney every year to win the Brownlow, he wasnt doing any good so I thought I was bad luck for him and stopped. The following year he won it. :D I dont take Future bets anymore.

GVGjr
05-08-2010, 11:32 PM
I thought a good season for Hall would have been 50 goals and 60 would have been a great season for him but he has obviously exceeded that estimation.

BulldogBelle
06-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Yes, those are my win amounts. I also have $4,000 on Cooney this year but looks like that's down the gurgler too. I picked up $3,000 when Cooney won the Brownlow.

LostDoggy
06-08-2010, 02:44 PM
I thought a good season for Hall would have been 50 goals and 60 would have been a great season for him but he has obviously exceeded that estimation.

So it's a sensational season then? :D