PDA

View Full Version : Western Sydney draft concessions announced

Dry Rot
20-10-2009, 04:49 PM
They claim that WS has even more concession than GC, but they're not apparent to me.

2010 and 2011 will be lousy years for teams trying to rebuild.

THE new western Sydney franchise has been given extensive concessions including nine of the top 15 picks in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft to make it competitive in its formative years.

AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou announced a raft of rules for Team GWS in the lead-up to its entry into the league in 2012 and beyond.

The highlights include giving Team GWS nine first round picks in 2011, the top eight rookie picks next year, zoned access to players from NSW, ACT and the Northern Territory, access to 16 uncontracted players and the right to have an expanded list and increased salary cap.

Team GWS's concessions are designed differently to those applying to the new Gold Coast franchise.....

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86208/default.aspx

bulldogtragic
20-10-2009, 05:46 PM
If we don't win it very soon, we may never.

ratsmac
20-10-2009, 06:30 PM
THE new western Sydney franchise has been given extensive concessions including nine of the top 15 picks in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft to make it competitive in its formative years.

AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou announced a raft of rules for Team GWS in the lead-up to its entry into the league in 2012 and beyond.

The highlights include giving Team GWS nine first round picks in 2011, the top eight rookie picks next year, zoned access to players from NSW, ACT and the Northern Territory, access to 16 uncontracted players and the right to have an expanded list and increased salary cap.

Team GWS's concessions are designed differently to those applying to the new Gold Coast franchise.....

Why doesn't Richmond get such consessions??? :P

hujsh
20-10-2009, 07:38 PM
If we don't win it very soon, we may never.

Will they get concessions for the next 100 years?

Unless Sockeye's free agency doomsday theory comes to fruition or the club goes bust it's just two more teams to beat and it puts us at no more disadvantage than it will put Collingwood, North or the Cats.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Will they get concessions for the next 100 years?

Unless Sockeye's free agency doomsday theory comes to fruition or the club goes bust it's just two more teams to beat and it puts us at no more disadvantage than it will put Collingwood, North or the Cats.
Perhaps not ever, ever. But we are at/near our window now. If we don't win it soon, as the cycle continues we will be down and as we are rising, we will have to contend with very good additional teams. We might have to wait another few cycles before having a decent crack at it. That aside, I think we have the cattle to win it next year. So it's all moot.

hujsh
20-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Perhaps not ever, ever. But we are at/near our window now. If we don't win it soon, as the cycle continues we will be down and as we are rising, we will have to contend with very good additional teams. We might have to wait another few cycles before having a decent crack at it. That aside, I think we have the cattle to win it next year. So it's all moot.

As long as we win it I'll be pretty content for a while too.

Dry Rot
20-10-2009, 11:03 PM
If we don't win it soon, as the cycle continues we will be down and as we are rising, we will have to contend with very good additional teams. We might have to wait another few cycles before having a decent crack at it.

Disagree.

I've gone for the Dogs since '98 (and been seriously interested in AFL) and for eleven years we have had a dwarf team except for Grant and more lately Harris/Lake.

In the last two drafts we have actually got (on paper) some quality talls, down back and particularly up forward.

Are these recruits any good? Draft stats would suggest that probably half (at least) are duds. I have not seen any of them play (except young Grant) but reading Willi reports, most of them sound good.

If this is right, then in a few years time our real window will open and then we will be a team to be really feared. Bookmark it.

Next year?

Roll the dice with our veterans and Hall's mind, and maybe we'll get lucky. But if most of our young talls are any good, then in a few years time, we won't need luck IMO.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Disagree.

I've gone for the Dogs since '98 (and been seriously interested in AFL) and for eleven years we have had a dwarf team except for Grant and more lately Harris/Lake.

In the last two drafts we have actually got (on paper) some quality talls, down back and particularly up forward.

Are these recruits any good? Draft stats would suggest that probably half (at least) are duds. I have not seen any of them play (except young Grant) but reading Willi reports, most of them sound good.

If this is right, then in a few years time our real window will open and then we will be a team to be really feared. Bookmark it.

Next year?

Roll the dice with our veterans and Hall's mind, and maybe we'll get lucky. But if most of our young talls are any good, then in a few years time, we won't need luck IMO.

Agreed. You've pretty much covered my thoughts DR. I think we'll have a better shot at the flag in 2-3 years time, although we very well could win it next year. We have plenty of young talent (Reid, Wood, Stack, Boumann, Cordy, Grant, Jones, Roughead) and with Libba/Wallis to join that, I think we'll be a very good football side for some years yet.

My biggest concern next year is whether or not Johnson, Akermanis, Hahn and indeed Hall reproduce top quality form. Johnson isn't the player he used to be, Aker didn't give us anything in the finals, Hahn will find it very tough and Hall is an unknown. Coupled with our long list of injuries, I am not going into 2010 as confident as I'd like to be.

In any case - we're going to be a good chance at winning the damn thing for a few years, regardless of GC/WS.

Remi Moses
21-10-2009, 06:56 AM
It's going to work because Caroline Wilson said so:rolleyes::rolleyes:Apparently cos' they've got some great CEO from the much despised Manly NRL. People just don't like the game in the west simple. Our big hope as stated is the next couple obviously,then god help us.

Sockeye Salmon
21-10-2009, 12:27 PM
It's going to work because Caroline Wilson said so:rolleyes::rolleyes:Apparently cos' they've got some great CEO from the much despised Manly NRL. People just don't like the game in the west simple. Our big hope as stated is the next couple obviously,then god help us.

I have a business associate in West Sydney. He is one of a large group who actively lobby their local council argueing against getting AFL posts erected at sporting grounds. They have even successfully managed to get posts already erected removed.

LostDoggy
21-10-2009, 06:39 PM
This and GC17 is a load of crap. What concessions did we get when we entered the VFL or say Freo into the AFL ? It was more the other way for us. For it to succeed they need to let clubs evolve more naturally. They are desperate to widen the market but they are doing it at the expensive of the competition. Why don't they just give WS18 and GC17 then next 6 premierships?

You only have to look at Sydney as an example, as soon as the performances drop off, the crowds will follow. I know it happens at every club but it happens more so at the ones where many of the fans have no passion for the game or the club eg Sydney.

Sockeye Salmon
21-10-2009, 06:52 PM
This and GC17 is a load of crap. What concessions did we get when we entered the VFL or say Freo into the AFL ? It was more the other way for us. For it to succeed they need to let clubs evolve more naturally. They are desperate to widen the market but they are doing it at the expensive of the competition. Why don't they just give WS18 and GC17 then next 6 premierships?

You only have to look at Sydney as an example, as soon as the performances drop off, the crowds will follow. I know it happens at every club but it happens more so at the ones where many of the fans have no passion for the game or the club eg Sydney.

This is what the AFL have stuffed up and don't understand.

If they hand GC17 & GWS a premiership or two they will get good-time supporters to jump on board and then as soon as they stop winning they will lose interest and disappear.

If they make then earn success they will have a hardcore base that will be there year after year. You appreciate only what you have to work for.

Of course, like politicians, the AFL are only interested in the short term because they want to look good while they are still in charge. They don't care about how they will be viewed in history.

GVGjr
21-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Of course, like politicians, the AFL are only interested in the short term because they want to look good while they are still in charge. They don't care about how they will be viewed in history.

How hard have the clubs challenged this though? Surely they could be a strong voice in this.

boydogs
21-10-2009, 09:55 PM
This is what the AFL have stuffed up and don't understand.

Which do you think it is, that they don't care about the long term, or they don't understand/disagree?

boydogs
21-10-2009, 09:57 PM
I have a business associate in West Sydney. He is one of a large group who actively lobby their local council argueing against getting AFL posts erected at sporting grounds. They have even successfully managed to get posts already erected removed.

I was up in NSW a few weeks ago and saw an oval with a funny looking set of posts comprised of a soccer goal with rugby league posts and bar above it. No AFL point posts.

Sockeye Salmon
21-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Which do you think it is, that they don't care about the long term, or they don't understand/disagree?

Andrew Demetriou is just like Kevin Rudd (or any other politician) who doesn't care about what happens after he moves on.

By handing finals (and maybe a premiership) to GC17 and GWS they will appear successful in the short term and AD will be walking around like Caesar taking all the glory. Futher down the track when they are stuggling as surely they eventually must, there will be no substance. They will only have fair weather supporters spoilt by success who will drop off and be entertained by something else for the next 10 minutes. By then AD will have moved on into something better paying and it won't be his problem.

BulldogBelle
21-10-2009, 11:15 PM
The AFL would be better off moving the Swans to Western Sydney and moving Collingwood to the SCG

FrediKanoute
22-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Putting a business hat on for a moment, it would be almost impossible for a start up team to break into and be successful in the AFL from season 1. Even with the handouts, I have serious doubts as to whether either GC17 or GWS will be immediately competitive or be competitive in their first 4 or 5 seasons. If either team wins enough games NOT to qualify for priorty picks I'd be surprised.

I don't think the concessions being offered are that bad from an overall competition perspective.Yes they will probably hurt us more than say a Melbourne, mainly because we are at the very end of our salary cap....we have players that other teams want. Next year, 2011 and 2012 are all about list management. Carrying players who have been long serving clu people will no longer be possible and I would expect that we will make some hard calls on the Class of 99, a lot harder than we would previously have had to make, just so we can keep hold of our emerging stars.

The AFL and the competition cannot have a sitation where either team comes in and gets thumped for 22 rounds. It weakens the competition overall. No broadcaster is going to want to put either team on the TV, because the result is a foregone conclusion. The AFL's approach is about protectig the TV Revenue and maintianing the AFL as Australia's pre-eminent sporting competition. One only has to cast one's mind back to when Brisbance were introduced.....each club was asked to donate 2 players.....each club donated 2 of their lesser players or deemed surplus to their requirements. The result was that Brisbane had to merge with Fitzroy in order to taste success and it took 5 to 10 yars longer than they should have to be comptitive.

In short, yes GC17 and GWS will have an impact on our club, either through loss of contracted players, retiring stars earlier or the loss of key draft picks. How the club manages this change, whether by aggresively trading or looking at more mature players to draft will determine how it affects us on the field.

Sockeye Salmon
22-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Putting a business hat on for a moment, it would be almost impossible for a start up team to break into and be successful in the AFL from season 1. Even with the handouts, I have serious doubts as to whether either GC17 or GWS will be immediately competitive or be competitive in their first 4 or 5 seasons. If either team wins enough games NOT to qualify for priorty picks I'd be surprised.

I don't think the concessions being offered are that bad from an overall competition perspective.Yes they will probably hurt us more than say a Melbourne, mainly because we are at the very end of our salary cap....we have players that other teams want. Next year, 2011 and 2012 are all about list management. Carrying players who have been long serving clu people will no longer be possible and I would expect that we will make some hard calls on the Class of 99, a lot harder than we would previously have had to make, just so we can keep hold of our emerging stars.

The AFL and the competition cannot have a sitation where either team comes in and gets thumped for 22 rounds. It weakens the competition overall. No broadcaster is going to want to put either team on the TV, because the result is a foregone conclusion. The AFL's approach is about protectig the TV Revenue and maintianing the AFL as Australia's pre-eminent sporting competition. One only has to cast one's mind back to when Brisbance were introduced.....each club was asked to donate 2 players.....each club donated 2 of their lesser players or deemed surplus to their requirements. The result was that Brisbane had to merge with Fitzroy in order to taste success and it took 5 to 10 yars longer than they should have to be comptitive.

In short, yes GC17 and GWS will have an impact on our club, either through loss of contracted players, retiring stars earlier or the loss of key draft picks. How the club manages this change, whether by aggresively trading or looking at more mature players to draft will determine how it affects us on the field.

I agree they will initially struggle, but they will be a superpower by around year 6 or 7.

West Coast - big group of kids in 87, premiership by 92 (3 GF's by 94)
Adelaide - big group of kids in 90, premiership by 97 (and 98)
Port - big group of kids in 96, premiership in 04 (3 minor premierships)

Freo were the exception but that was just because they were friggin hopeless.

LostDog
22-10-2009, 05:06 PM
I here Richmond are the next team to get these draft consessions lol