PDA

View Full Version : The official Sam Reid/Daniel Currie Memorial Eker Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Sedat
07-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Awesome news with Paul Johnson getting a senior game. Three teams and getting onto the rookie list via the special training squad. Hopefully he can stay on and carry over from the Anvil as King Eker.
I haven't seen someone come from absolutely nowhere like that since Henry Playfair left everybody scratching their heads when he was selected by the Swans last year against us in Canberra. Before that his face was on the side of a milk carton, such was the effectiveness of his MIA status.

Looking forward to seeing the masterclass of honest, team-oriented toiling up forward from Matt Spangher in this week's elimination final. Guaranteed he won't feature in the Saturday Specials highlights reel on 'After the Game'.

comrade
07-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Looking forward to seeing the masterclass of honest, team-oriented toiling up forward from Matt Spangher in this week's elimination final. Guaranteed he won't feature in the Saturday Specials highlights reel on 'After the Game'.

As a fan from way back, a single tear must roll down your cheek when seeing Spangher ply his trade for another team. Oh, what could have been.

:D

Sedat
08-09-2011, 12:06 AM
As a fan from way back, a single tear must roll down your cheek when seeing Spangher ply his trade for another team. Oh, what could have been.

He'll never kick a bag of 7 like that try-hard Jay Schulz :D

Mofra
08-09-2011, 10:42 AM
No one has mentioned Leigh Brown's upcoming retirement!!
Question for the Eker's inner sanctum.

Brown is now regarded by some as having revolutionised the game with his second ruck role. Given he was initially a high draft pick, can he be regarded as an Eker or just a late bloomer?

LostDoggy
08-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Question for the Eker's inner sanctum.

Brown is now regarded by some as having revolutionised the game with his second ruck role. Given he was initially a high draft pick, can he be regarded as an Eker or just a late bloomer?

If you need a rule change to save your career, one would think you're an eker of the highest order.

Mofra
08-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Fair point: Shine on Leigh Brown, a true Knight of the Eker round table

LostDoggy
08-09-2011, 02:15 PM
LOL @ this thread. I think i've always breezed past it, confusing it for an "Aker" thread :) Will have to spend some time researching.

LostDoggy
08-09-2011, 02:40 PM
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/eke

eke
2 to manage with difficulty to make (a living, livelihood etc) The artist could scarcely eke out a living from his painting.

'Ekers' is a term I use for players who are great at eking out a career. Please don't confuse my ekers with list cloggers though.

List cloggers include players who once were guns that are no longer worth their spot on the list. The term relates to their value here and now.

Being an Eker is based on:
- Whole career: Never being a gun/All-Australian/Best and Fairest winner etc.
- Just doing enough to survive.
- Unlike the term 'list clogger', Eker does not imply you should be delisted (however it does help). You can actually be an Eker and a valuable member of your side.
- Pure ekers survive by finding playing a role that their side really struggles to fill.
- The longer the survive, the great an Eker you are.
- Special bonus points for being able to survive despite being delisted/traded away for nothing.

The delistings that come with list lodgements are the worst time of the year for these Ekers. Many has fallen but that means even more eker respect for those who survived.

One that springs to mind (apologies if already mentioned but haven't seen him) but Stuart Wigney has to be in Dale kickett territory. 4 clubs (Foots 47, Syd 1, Adel 10, Rich 14). A massive 25 games with 3 clubs post his Dogs career for grand total of 72. All across 8 years.

Expecting some heavy Eker movement in the coming weeks with delistings and rookie drafting.

LostDoggy
08-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Do we have the highest proportion of ekers of any team in the league now? Just off the top of my head I count Moles, DFA, DJ, Vesz, Hoops, Mulligan, Barlow, and Reid (for now).

Probably unfair on Hoops and Vesz, but hanging around in the AFL for so long without playing many games is eker territory. Markovic was definitely eker-material (if getting dropped from a list, then playing VFL, then getting picked up again as 'depth' isn't eker-ish I don't know what is), but he's probably improved too much this year. Hill is a disappointment rather than an eker, and Stack is still rising.

Greystache
08-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Hang on, if Hooper is an Eker then so is Howard and Tutt. They've all been on the list 2 years, are the same age, and Hooper has played the most games of them.

I think he's nowhere near being an AFL player, but to call him an eker is beyond premature.

Bulldog Joe
08-09-2011, 03:26 PM
If you need a rule change to save your career, one would think you're an eker of the highest order.

In fairness to Brown, his career high was before the rule change that had most sides look to copy what he provided in a premiership year.

It was also assisted by the recruitment of Jolly.

He also has the good sense to retire before he tarnishes the stellar year.

LostDoggy
08-09-2011, 03:44 PM
One that springs to mind (apologies if already mentioned but haven't seen him) but Stuart Wigney has to be in Dale kickett territory. 4 clubs (Foots 47, Syd 1, Adel 10, Rich 14). A massive 25 games with 3 clubs post his Dogs career for grand total of 72. All across 8 years.

Brilliant M.R.M.

He was one of the greats, no doubt.

Ozza
08-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Brilliant M.R.M.

He was one of the greats, no doubt.

The fact that Wigney was given the time-honoured number 6 guernsey at the bulldogs surely adds to the allure of his eker-ish story.

LostDoggy
08-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Hang on, if Hooper is an Eker then so is Howard and Tutt. They've all been on the list 2 years, are the same age, and Hooper has played the most games of them.

I think he's nowhere near being an AFL player, but to call him an eker is beyond premature.

True, I did say that it was harsh.

ps. However, if Howard, Tutt and Hoops don't get more games next year they'll well and truly be moving into eker territory. I do think only one of them is in danger of not playing more than 5 games next year.

jazzadogs
08-09-2011, 07:39 PM
True, I did say that it was harsh.

ps. However, if Howard, Tutt and Hoops don't get more games next year they'll well and truly be moving into eker territory. I do think only one of them is in danger of not playing more than 5 games next year.
Surely there needs to be a minimum number of years before you can be classified as an Eker? Kids who stay on a list for three years while we wait for them to develop can hardly be called ekers...

Rocco Jones
08-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Surely there needs to be a minimum number of years before you can be classified as an Eker? Kids who stay on a list for three years while we wait for them to develop can hardly be called ekers...

Yep. The youngest eker of all time is James Mulligan.

LostDoggy
09-09-2011, 11:14 AM

Exactly, which is why Howard and Tutt aren't ekers (because we see potential in them). If a player, however, is clearly already not going to get much better and is still not that good, but gets a contract for 'depth' or whatever, that's eker territory right there.

Maddog37
09-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Joel Macdonald from Melbourne/Brisbane eker material?

Rocco Jones
11-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Joel Macdonald from Melbourne/Brisbane eker material?

Definitely.

Ryan Houlihan has retired and Xavier Clarke has been delisted, this time of the year is never kid to our movement. Brett Thornton is Carlton's incumbent leading Eker and did us proud today.

LostDoggy
11-09-2011, 09:33 PM
What about Guerra? Surely a more successful gap-filler hasn't had more success in the last 10 years?

comrade
11-09-2011, 09:33 PM
With St Kilda's demise, we may have to say goodbye to a swag of our beloved ekers. I feel a disturbance in the force.

Rocco Jones
11-09-2011, 09:35 PM
What about Guerra? Surely a more successful gap-filler has hasn't had more success in the last 10 years?

He is a quality Eker but the #1 at the Hawks is Paul Johnson and he takes some beating.

With St Kilda's demise, we may have to say goodbye to a swag of our beloved ekers. I feel a disturbance in the force.

Me too. Stay strong Jason Blake.

ledge
11-09-2011, 10:08 PM
If we are looking for real Ekers we need to say at least 8 years otherwise you could fill this thread with hundreds.
In saying that who is a better a eker a one club player or a 3 club player?
If you can stay at a one club thats pretty awesome but if you can suck in 3 clubs thats pretty amazing too.

comrade
11-09-2011, 10:15 PM
If we are looking for real Ekers we need to say at least 8 years otherwise you could fill this thread with hundreds.
In saying that who is a better a eker a one club player or a 3 club player?
If you can stay at a one club thats pretty awesome but if you can suck in 3 clubs thats pretty amazing too.

Getting paid to suck is the ultimate achievement, regardless of how many clubs you play for., but the multi-club eker deserves special recognition.

Greystache
11-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Keep an eye on a potential eker star, I believe Rocco describes them as a plateauing star, David Myers from Essendon. Doesn't have a single AFL attribute, yet is regularly given big responsibility during a game, a potential eker hall of fame contender.

ledge
11-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Getting paid to suck is the ultimate achievement, regardless of how many clubs you play for., but the multi-club eker deserves special recognition.

Question is did the club use an eker as a trade thus being the smart one or did the eker fool the new club?

LostDoggy
12-09-2011, 05:33 PM

To avoid Eker free agency?

LostDoggy
12-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Question is did the club use an eker as a trade thus being the smart one or did the eker fool the new club?

Ekers who change clubs normally get delisted then picked back up, or get swapped for cheap as chips.

Ekers who move on high picks/ high wages/ long contracts.. now that's quality eker-dom.

Brock McLean comes to mind.

Mantis
13-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Has Tom Hislop been mentioned yet?

Has been on an AFL list for 5 years now for a grand total of 27 games, but to be on these lists he has been drafted 3 times.

Coming off the rookie list he played 5 games this year, but started as the 'sub' 4 times.

He has to be a future Hall of Famer for the Eker society.

Mofra
13-09-2011, 12:06 PM
^ On those stats, Hislop would get an Eker award named after him. A fine addiiton to the list.

westdog54
13-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Has Tom Hislop been mentioned yet?

Has been on an AFL list for 5 years now for a grand total of 27 games, but to be on these lists he has been drafted 3 times.

Coming off the rookie list he played 5 games this year, but started as the 'sub' 4 times.

He has to be a future Hall of Famer for the Eker society.

Dingdingdingdingding.

We have a winner.

The Underdog
16-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Is it safe to say that the Spring of 2011 will see one of the greatest west coast Eker migration's in football history? Perhaps Kepler Bradley for captain? Possibly even a Clive Waterhouse comeback?

Rocco Jones
16-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Is it safe to say that the Spring of 2011 will see one of the greatest west coast Eker migration's in football history? Perhaps Kepler Bradley for captain? Possibly even a Clive Waterhouse comeback?

Conspiracy theory time, maybe it's why he 'retired' so many Saints!

Just on Mantis' Tom Hislop call. He is no doubt an eker but he is only 23. To be a great eker you need to have more time in the game.

1eyedog
16-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Michael Osbourne is an Eker of the highest order.

ledge
18-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Will Minson?

gohardorgohome
18-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Will has player 110+ AFL games........far too many for an Eker

ledge
18-09-2011, 10:18 PM
He has clocked up a few years though.

Rocco Jones
22-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Danny Meyer sadly joins Leigh Brown, Xavier Clarke, Ryan Houlihan and Nathan Ablett as club leading ekers who are retired/delisted.

Sedat
22-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Brian Royal would be a hall of famer for the assistant coach ekers. Neeld has shredded the Melbourne coaching panel but Choco somehow survived the cull.

PaddyWhack
23-09-2011, 01:28 PM
If you need an "eker" mascot, there is a bloke actually called Martin Ekers, playing for Seville in the Yarra Valley Mountain District FL.

Rocco Jones
18-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Crows- Micahel Doughty:

Lions- Xavier Clarke:

Blues- Ryan Houlihan:

Pies- Leigh Brown:

Bombers- Nathan Lovett-Murray:

Freo- Antoni Grover: .

Cats- Mark Blake:

Suns- Nathan Ablett:

Hawks- Paul Johnson:

Dees- Michael Newton:

North- Aaron Edwards:

Power- Danny Meyer:

Tigers- Brad Miller:

Saints- Jason Blake:

Swans- Paul Bevan:

Eagles- Brett Jones:

Dogs- Ed Barlow:

Only 5 of the 17 2011 club ekers survive, a very sad time indeed. Time for some new eker leaders me thinks.

Crows- Doughty
Lions- Staker
Blues- Thornton
Pies- Wood
Dons- Lovett-Murray
Freo- Grover
Cats- Hunt
Suns- Iles
GWS- Brogan
Hawks- Osborne
Dees- Macdonald
Kangas- Edwards
Port- Logan
Tigers- Miller
Saints- Peake
Swans- Seaby
Eagles- Nicoski
Dogs- Addison

Ghost Dog
18-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Addison is the prince o' ekerdom for sure!
Not sure about Hunt. he has some pretty good games.

jazzadogs
18-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Only 5 of the 17 2011 club ekers survive, a very sad time indeed. Time for some new eker leaders me thinks.

Crows- Doughty
Lions- Staker
Blues- Thornton
Pies- Wood
Dons- Lovett-Murray
Freo- Grover
Cats- Hunt
Suns- Iles
GWS- Brogan
Hawks- Osborne
Dees- Macdonald
Kangas- Edwards
Port- Logan
Tigers- Miller
Saints- Peake
Swans- Seaby
Eagles- Nicoski
Dogs- Addison
Moles unlucky for Dogs. Cornes and MacDonald miss out on the GWS spot by a chin.

Good to see Paul Johnson training with the Hawks. Keep on ekin'.

JohnGentStand
19-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Is it just me or does potential eker Jason Tutt remind of a young Peter Quill???

Ghost Dog
19-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Is it just me or does potential eker Jason Tutt remind of a young Peter Quill???

Tutt? What makes you think he is a potential Eker? Kicked 3 in his first game IIRC and could have had a few more...
Can you justify this? or maybe re-think your post....

KT31
19-11-2011, 12:26 AM

Very harsh on Tutt, we have other players I would pick well before him.

JohnGentStand
19-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Tutt? What makes you think he is a potential Eker? Kicked 3 in his first game IIRC and could have had a few more...

Sorry :o , a few posters had been referring to Tutt, Hooper, Howard etc as potential ekers in this thread. Nothing like checking out the bright side!

I am hoping they can all be a bit more than that. Failing that however I will adopt Hooper as our new A. Rock

ledge
19-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Sorry :o , a few posters had been referring to Tutt, Hooper, Howard etc as potential ekers in this thread. Nothing like checking out the bright side!

I am hoping they can all be a bit more than that. Failing that however I will adopt Hooper as our new A. Rock

Cant believe Tutt has been mentioned.
Only 1 year in the system.

Ghost Dog
19-11-2011, 12:36 AM

Oh now HOOPER...I really wanted him to do well, as he is a Ballarat boy and a crumber was what we needed at the time.
But I have not seen a single thing that gives me hope.
I remember sitting next to all these older bulldog ladies at Etihad and they were all asking " Who is that boy? What's the boy doing ? Oh... that boy...take him off" for the whole game.

An Eker has to LOOK like a player, move like a player and yet be well under par. Hooper won't last long as an Eker as, if poorly, can't hide it as well....

GVGjr
19-11-2011, 08:40 AM

I disagree on the eker tag but I do see a bit of Peter Quill in Tutt.

strebla
19-11-2011, 07:03 PM
I disagree on the eker tag but I do see a bit of Peter Quill in Tutt.

This and i was a big fan of Quill he was much more than an eker for mine :mad:

Desipura
20-11-2011, 10:00 AM
This and i was a big fan of Quill he was much more than an eker for mine :mad:

If there was an award for the most kicks out on the full, he would win by a street.

strebla
20-11-2011, 11:48 AM
If there was an award for the most kicks out on the full, he would win by a street.

I watched most of his games Desi and that never stood out to me. the only knock I can remember where his soft tissue injuries.

Desipura
20-11-2011, 03:05 PM
I watched most of his games Desi and that never stood out to me. the only knock I can remember where his soft tissue injuries.

You might want to uncover the other eye. :D
He was built but never used his physicality much and kicked the ball high.

JohnGentStand
20-11-2011, 10:59 PM

This award was known As the Darren Baxter medal :)

strebla
21-11-2011, 11:14 AM
This award was known As the Darren Baxter medal :)

Bugger another one of my faves loved blanket .Just as an aside Desi just because I don't agree with you don't suggest for a minute that don't watch the game. I never said he was a superstar i just liked watching him just as I liked Rod McPherson and he was no star either!!!

Desipura
21-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Bugger another one of my faves loved blanket .Just as an aside Desi just because I don't agree with you don't suggest for a minute that don't watch the game. I never said he was a superstar i just liked watching him just as I liked Rod McPherson and he was no star either!!!
Sorry if I offended you. I was not suggesting you do not watch the game. I too liked watching Rod McPherson play and also liked watching John Bennett kick a bag in the ressies.

jazzadogs
13-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Adam Pattison, take a bow. Now at his third AFL club, despite never really showing anything.

Also McQualter to the suns. A good day for the Ekers.

Sockeye Salmon
13-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Adam Pattison, take a bow. Now at his third AFL club, despite never really showing anything.

Also McQualter to the suns. A good day for the Ekers.

Pattison is starting to enter hall of fame territory

ledge
14-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Mark Austin at his second club, 6 years in the system for 15 games, maybe worth a watch.

Rocco Jones
14-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Just an update after all the drafts.

Crows- Doughty
Lions- Staker
Blues- Thornton
Pies- Wood
Dons- Lovett-Murray
Freo- Grover
Cats- Hunt
Suns- McQualter
GWS- Brogan
Hawks- Pattison
Dees- Macdonald
Kangas- Edwards
Port- Logan
Tigers- Miller
Saints- Blake
Swans- Seaby
Eagles- Nicoski
Dogs- Addison

LostDoggy
15-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Austin's got to be close to Dylan on our list. In fact, considering that he's been in the system for 6 years while barely playing and moved clubs via the rookie list to remain an AFL player, I would suggest that his ekerism is more impressive than Dylan's (who is a hard head and would have at least impressed Macca with his intensity during pre-season).

LostDoggy
15-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Oh, and Malcolm Lynch HAS to be considered an Eker now, having completed the most impressive of eker feats: being picked up a year or more after being delisted.. onto a ROOKIE LIST no less, that natural habitat of ekers.

I mean, a Krakeour (sp?) gets picked up by Collingwood after starring at a lower level, and slots straight into their first 22 and contributes -- that's an impressive story in terms of redemption but not an eker story, but for Malcolm to get delisted after doing nothing at the Dogs, then do barely enough for a club to put him on their rookie list? That's eker genius written all over it.

LostDoggy
15-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Wait wait wait wait wait...

How can Dylan be our eker when Mulligan is still on our list?

azabob
15-12-2011, 06:02 PM

RJ's thread, RJ's rules.

Refer the norm smith thread.

My take is Addison got a new deal, where as Mulligan was still in contract.

If Mulligan gets another contract Im sure he will be elevated to eker leader again.

LostDoggy
06-04-2012, 03:26 PM
A red letter round for the Ekers. LRT 150 games. Not sure how a player of so little talent can play in a premiership let alone 150 games.

LostDoggy
06-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Alltime Ekers premiership side

B. D Calthorpe M Bortolotto I Aitkin
HB P Barnard LRT M Hogg
C P Hills B Monteith S Clayton
HF S Ellen M Robran S Bond
F. G Moorcroft M Capuano T Bond
R. C Keating R Jones C Brown
I. G Manton A Keating B Marsh T Thurston

Feel free to change.

Rocco Jones
06-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Dylan has a few more years on Mulligan.

HB P Barnard LRT M Hogg

Feel free to change.

Hahaha, love it!

azabob
06-04-2012, 04:37 PM

HB P Barnard LRT M Hogg

Feel free to change.

Surely Jayson Daniels has to make your team? 2 clubs nearly played 200 games.

Rocco Jones
06-04-2012, 04:41 PM

It's a 'premiership' side.

azabob
06-04-2012, 04:47 PM

HB P Barnard LRT M Hogg

Feel free to change.

It's a 'premiership' side.

Damn it, devil in the detail.

Thanks RJ, sorry chops

As you were....

Maddog37
06-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Did Tom Murphy play in the Hawks 2010 flag? If so he must be a chance......

AndrewP6
06-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Did Tom Murphy play in the Hawks 2010 flag? If so he must be a chance......

2008 - and no, I don't think he did.

Maddog37
06-04-2012, 06:51 PM
2010........brain snap.

LostDoggy
06-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Another premiership eker Robert Klomp deserves an Ekeraward named after him. 6 kicks 1 mark and 3 handballs won him the BOG tv.

LostDoggy
06-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Dylan has a few more years on Mulligan.

Hm, but thats not the only criteria. If we go on a formula like:

Eker rating =

Talent (out of 10) x games played
Yrs on list

And the lower your score, the greater an eker you are, as the lower your score it means the less talent you have, the fewer games you've played, yet the more years you've stayed on a list.

So, for arguments sake lets compare Libba, clearly no eker, and Hooper, a bit of an eker. If we give libba an 8 for talent and hoops a 5, say, libba's eker rating will be approx 64, while hoop's is closer to 10, so a bit more ekery than libba.

If we apply the same formula to dylan and mulligan, lets say dylans talent level is a 5, mulligans cant be higher than a 2, okay 3, then dylan's eker rating is approx 42, while mulligan's is an abysmal 1.8, and thats with a 3 for talent. If you give him a 2 the score drops to 1.2.

Dylans been on the list for 7 years, but he is undeniably more talented than James, and has at least played 56 games (some pretty good ones too) to mulligan's paltry THREE GAMES in 5 seasons. (and that,s before you even apply the super bonus factor of being able to sneak from a rookie list to a senior for for no good reason!)

I know its your rules Rocco, but thats a pretty compelling case right?

LostDoggy
06-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Ps. I'm quite proud of my eker formula. Try it out on some other players... it's quite foolproof!

LostDoggy
06-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Has Shannon Corcoran been mentioned ?

8 seasons as a listed player at three Clubs and 30 games played

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Corcoran

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/S/Shannon_Corcoran.html

And just to round it off in the very last game of Shannon's Professional career playing for Sydney against the Club where he started his career he had just 3 disposals

AndrewP6
06-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Has Shannon Corcoran been mentioned ?

8 seasons as a listed player at three Clubs and 30 games played

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Corcoran

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/S/Shannon_Corcoran.html

And just to round it off in the very last game of Shannon's Professional career playing for Sydney against the Club where he started his career he had just 3 disposals

An eker of undoubted quality

westdog54
06-04-2012, 09:23 PM

HB P Barnard LRT M Hogg

Feel free to change.

Had a chuckle, a couple of the guys at work call each other 'Catoggio' and 'Bortolloto'.

Did Mark Bolton play in a premiership?

Sedat
06-04-2012, 09:29 PM

HB P Barnard LRT M Hogg

Feel free to change.
This team needs more Greg Madigan. Keating is much too good to be an eker, so maybe plonk Capuano in the ruck, move Thurstans to FF and put Madigan on the pine. Otherwise a fantastic effort Chops.

Actually Josh Mahoney is very stiff not to get a guernsey, considering he had spells at 3 different clubs, without so much as a half decent match, before his break-out performance in the 2004 GF.

Monteith surely the captain, seeing as he actually captained a premiership team doing bugger-all. Joycey the coach??

Sockeye Salmon
07-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Shane Kerrison?
Stephen Armstrong?

chef
07-04-2012, 09:59 AM
A red letter round for the Ekers. LRT 150 games. Not sure how a player of so little talent can play in a premiership let alone 150 games.

Our own Tom Williams must also be a chance to become an Eker, in time:).

azabob
07-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Our own Tom Williams must also be a chance to become an Eker, in time:).

The Pie man made the same call back in November 2009! (page one of this thread)

Ghost Dog
07-04-2012, 12:22 PM
You watch how Adelaide monsters our back line today and you may yet pine for a fit Tom Williams.

gohardorgohome
07-04-2012, 01:22 PM

HB P Barnard LRT M Hogg

Feel free to change.

I played most of my junior footy with Matty Hogg. He wasn't the most talented guy at our club but he was a real hard nut that got the most of his abilities. He was terrific in his first few years at the bulldogs.. From memory he played injured in his last season at the dogs and was moved onto Carlton... He played in two grand finals (one premiership) and got a game for Victoria.....Not sure if 173 AFL games over 12 seasons is true eker material....

wb_age
08-04-2012, 03:31 PM
You watch how Adelaide monsters our back line today and you may yet pine for a fit Tom Williams.
IIRC the last time a fit T. Williams faced Adelaide, T Walkor tore him a new one, was it a 5 goal quarter or 5 goal game.

Just saying..

ledge
08-04-2012, 07:05 PM
I played most of my junior footy with Matty Hogg. He wasn't the most talented guy at our club but he was a real hard nut that got the most of his abilities. He was terrific in his first few years at the bulldogs.. From memory he played injured in his last season at the dogs and was moved onto Carlton... He played in two grand finals (one premiership) and got a game for Victoria.....Not sure if 173 AFL games over 12 seasons is true eker material....

Didnt he hit one of our players in his first year at Carlton?

ledge
08-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Eade would be close to the coach i would have thought.

always right
08-04-2012, 07:47 PM

Choco Royal by memory.

Desipura
08-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Choco Royal by memory.

Right hook in the gob!

Sockeye Salmon
09-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Eade would be close to the coach i would have thought.

Neale Daniher would have him covered by quite a distance. Or Terry Wallace.

gohardorgohome
09-04-2012, 12:47 AM

Yes choco royal... Hoggy was quite handy with the boxing gloves..

ledge
09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Neale Daniher would have him covered by quite a distance. Or Terry Wallace.

I thought Eade had the record, longest coach without a flag.

Maddog37
09-04-2012, 11:37 AM
If the definition of an Eker is not winning a flag then the Bulldogs is the home of the Eker...

ledge
09-04-2012, 12:28 PM
If the definition of an Eker is not winning a flag then the Bulldogs is the home of the Eker...

Yep facts are facts.

Sockeye Salmon
09-04-2012, 01:37 PM
I thought Eade had the record, longest coach without a flag.

I think Bob Rose has that distinction, but I wouldn't count him because he made about 15 grand finals.

Sedat
21-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Darren Pfeiffer debuting for his 3rd club this weekend. Future eker hall of famer.

Sedat
29-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Excellent article in The Age today about one of the great ekers of our time:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blakes-progress-a-tale-of-survival-20120528-1zfd7.html

And in true eker fashion, may he never get a Brownlow vote :D

westdog54
29-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Excellent article in The Age today about one of the great ekers of our time:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blakes-progress-a-tale-of-survival-20120528-1zfd7.html

And in true eker fashion, may he never get a Brownlow vote :D

To think he's shorter than Pendlebury and Watson and has held down KPD and ruck duties for as long as he has, that's a fair effort in itself.

Surely elevated to 'Legend' status in the Eker HOF once he retires?

Maddog37
29-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Would being a high draft pick add more gravitas to achieving Eker greatness or being a rookie pick up?

Ozza
29-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Up there with Ben Dixon as one of the great 200 game Ekers.

Greystache
17-08-2012, 01:10 AM
The eker fraternity has suffered a heavy los s today with eker champion Brad Miller hanging up the boots effective immediately.

Mofra
17-08-2012, 11:24 AM
The eker fraternity has suffered a heavy los s today with eker champion Brad Miller hanging up the boots effective immediately.
Ekers don't attract that level of off field talent ;)

stefoid
17-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Ekers don't attract that level of off field talent ;)

Not true - hes just demonstrating what an elite eker he actually is, by eking off the field as well....

LongWait
17-08-2012, 04:06 PM
I think Bob Rose has that distinction, but I wouldn't count him because he made about 15 grand finals.

Most games coached without winning a Premiership:

John Northey 315
Rodney Eade 314
Bob Rose 282

westdog54
18-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Most games coached without winning a Premiership:

John Northey 315
Rodney Eade 314
Bob Rose 282

Can I be a touch facaetious and suggest that this was the real reason Rocket didn't coach out last season?

KT31
19-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Not true - hes just demonstrating what an elite eker he actually is, by eking off the field as well....

Champagne.:)

Greystache
06-09-2012, 12:59 PM
We've lost another eker legend today with St Kilda announcing Brett Peake has been delisted.

Dean Polo is another eker to suffer the same fate in a St Kilda post Ross Lyon eker cull.

Ghost Dog
06-09-2012, 01:52 PM

If you have to ask yourself, who? then it means the label 'Eker' can definitely be applied.

The Underdog
06-09-2012, 03:09 PM
We've lost another eker legend today with St Kilda announcing Brett Peake has been delisted.

Dean Polo is another eker to suffer the same fate in a St Kilda post Ross Lyon eker cull.

Polo's ability to get picked up by the Saints and play senior footy after being dumped by a bad Tigers team should go down in eker folklore. Hopefully Ross Lyon can continue to further the careers of ekers by bringing them to Perth and forming an eker community.

LostDoggy
07-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Does Fantasia get a job as the "GM Eker" ?

Sedat
07-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Does Fantasia get a job as the "GM Eker" ?
He's an AFL industry 'eker' par excellence. Ruined Adelaide premiership list when he was their recruiter - not to mention he was the guy to green-light the Wayne Carey trade - and we are all well aware of his awesome body of work at the kennel.

Ghost Dog
07-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Was Hooper an Eker?
Shake my head at why we ever gave him two years.

azabob
07-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Was Hooper an Eker?
Shake my head at why we ever gave him two years.

Don't reckon he played enough games to qualify.

Desipura
08-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Brent Guerra was once bordering on ekernism once he left Port then the Saints and ended up at the Hawks.
He has well and truly elevated himself to be an integral part of their back line.

LostDoggy
08-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Mitch Morton might be playing a prelim.
He was pretty good today.

Sedat
08-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Mitch Morton might be playing a prelim.
He was pretty good today.
Oh he plays in the PF for sure after that display.

I reckon this thread was made for Doughty. The most vanilla, nondescript role player in the game and has been for the last 10 years.

LostDoggy
08-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Lewis Roberts-Thompson and Mike Pike are two more Swans Ekers.
Mattner?
They make them good players.

GVGjr
08-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Lewis Roberts-Thompson and Mike Pike are two more Swans Ekers.
Mattner?
They make them good players.

Mattner was pretty good at Adelaide.

Maddog37
08-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Oh he plays in the PF for sure after that display.

I reckon this thread was made for Doughty. The most vanilla, nondescript role player in the game and has been for the last 10 years.

Add Riley to that list too.

Bulldog Revolution
08-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Reilly and Mattner are a fair level above that of the garden variety eker in my opinion

Dean Polos career for me somes up a classic - 6 years at Tigers, 2 years at Saints

Desipura
09-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Ted Richards could have been a candidate when he first crossed to Sydney from Essendon, now he is an All Auztralian!
Sydney have a number of players in a similar category initially ie McGlynn, Kennedy to name just a few.

Ghost Dog
09-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Ted Richards could have been a candidate when he first crossed to Sydney from Essendon, now he is an All Auztralian!
Sydney have a number of players in a similar category initially ie McGlynn, Kennedy to name just a few.

You would have to say Ekers are more likely to be defenders.
Casting my eye over the Freo list, Zac Dawson and Adam McPhee would have to be getting toward Eker territory?

ledge
09-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Ekers playing wise who have gone on to be footy legends in another capacity Kevin Sheedy, Mick Malthouse Andrew DEmetriou. Wouldn't that make you the ultimate Ekers?
Ricky Nixon the Eker of all professions, the moment he looked above ekerism he would do everything to keep Eker his main employer.

Bulldog Revolution
09-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Ekers playing wise who have gone on to be footy legends in another capacity Kevin Sheedy, Mick Malthouse Andrew DEmetriou. Wouldn't that make you the ultimate Ekers?
Ricky Nixon the Eker of all professions, the moment he looked above ekerism he would do everything to keep Eker his main employer.

You mean Kevin Sheedy the 250+ game, triple premiership player?

ledge
10-09-2012, 06:06 AM
YEp Kevin Sheedy the 250 game premiership
Player who was a hard nosed back pocket who with not much skill but a trier who gave his all to play the game a great Eker of all time

Desipura
10-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Player who was a hard nosed back pocket who with not much skill but a trier who gave his all to play the game a great Eker of all time

If that's the foundation then Terry Wheeler would also be an eker.

Bulldog Revolution
10-09-2012, 01:30 PM

In that case I think you are re-defining the Eker Ledge, outside of the spirit originally intended by the Ekers founding father Rocco

I dont have a problem with you saying that Sheedys bigger contribution was in coaching, but to suggest he was an Eker is I think a bit of a stretch.

I am not arguing he was a brilliant player, but I dont think it applies to a guy who won a B&F in a super successful era, played as many games as Sheedy did and played in 3 premierships.

Judge Rocco I apply to the court for a ruling your honour?

Rocco Jones
27-09-2012, 12:54 PM
In that case I think you are re-defining the Eker Ledge, outside of the spirit originally intended by the Ekers founding father Rocco

I dont have a problem with you saying that Sheedys bigger contribution was in coaching, but to suggest he was an Eker is I think a bit of a stretch.

I am not arguing he was a brilliant player, but I dont think it applies to a guy who won a B&F in a super successful era, played as many games as Sheedy did and played in 3 premierships.

Judge Rocco I apply to the court for a ruling your honour?

Ekerism is a broad church. Playing 250 + games doesn't automatically exclude you, although it makes you less of an Eker if that makes sense!

What excludes you is a season where you individually rise above upper average. Dempster making the AA team is an example and Sheedy winning a B&F is another.

Michael Doughty is a classic example of an Eker with a well deserved, long career.

LostDoggy
27-09-2012, 01:30 PM

To call Sheedy an Ecker is an insult. He played a lot of his footy as what was then called a ruck-rover and was a huge influence in Richmond's winning teams. Like Barassi, he was not super skilled but made up for that with sheer endeavour and like Barassi he would have been among the first picked every Thursday night.

ledge
27-09-2012, 04:38 PM
To call Sheedy an Ecker is an insult. He played a lot of his footy as what was then called a ruck-rover and was a huge influence in Richmond's winning teams. Like Barassi, he was not super skilled but made up for that with sheer endeavour and like Barassi he would have been among the first picked every Thursday night.

Well my point was probably meant in the way he didn't have the natural ability but for sheer endeavour and dedication that is how an Eker would succeed and he did that extremely well

Sedat
26-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Good to see my man Matt Spangher get traded from Sydney to Hawthorn - he is surely approaching Eker Hall of Fame territory, landing at his 3rd club after being drafted in 2005 and having played less than 30 games.

bornadog
26-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Good to see my man Matt Spangher get traded from Sydney to Hawthorn - he is surely approaching Eker Hall of Fame territory, landing at his 3rd club after being drafted in 2005 and having played less than 30 games.

Why would the Hawks do it?

comrade
26-10-2012, 12:45 PM

As soon as I saw Spangher confirmed as traded, I;

a) knew this thread would be updated immediately

and

b) Sedat would be the one who did it

Sedat
26-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Why would the Hawks do it?
Cheap insurance down back, and because they've just traded Gilham to GWS.

EDIT - he's got a 2 year deal at the Hawks, that is great ekeing :D

Raw Toast
26-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Cheap insurance down back, and because they've just traded Gilham to GWS.

EDIT - he's got a 2 year deal at the Hawks, that is great ekeing :D

He must be in ekestacy (sorry, couldn't resist :o)

Sedat
26-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Congrats also to Aaron Edwards for landing at his 3rd club today, although he's almost too talented to be a true eker.

Raw Toast
26-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Congrats also to Aaron Edwards for landing at his 3rd club today, although he's almost too talented to be a true eker.

Can we have a category for those who eke out a career by living too much on their talents? They have a tantalising quality that the true ekers lack.

comrade
26-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Can we have a category for those who eke out a career by living too much on their talents? They have a tantalising quality that the true ekers lack.

Mitch Morton?

Raw Toast
27-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Mitch Morton?

Perhaps we should call this whole category the Mortons!

ledge
27-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Mike Sheehan eked out a great career in the media after playing the odd game at Werribee

Sedat
27-10-2012, 04:17 PM
What about we call them 'coasters'? They would be the bipolar opposite species to the 'eker', relying on superior talent to prolong their career.

Murphy'sLore
27-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Josh Hill?

Sedat
29-10-2012, 03:53 PM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-recruit-aaron-edwards-fined-for-being-drunk/story-e6frexx0-1226505395439

Hence why Aaron Edwards has been a 'coaster' his entire career to date :D

Ozza
29-10-2012, 06:11 PM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-recruit-aaron-edwards-fined-for-being-drunk/story-e6frexx0-1226505395439

Hence why Aaron Edwards has been a 'coaster' his entire career to date :D

Brilliant.

That is just too good.

Sedat
30-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Despite making 13 changes to their list, James Sellar managed to survive the Demon list carnage for at least another season. That is a truly remarkable feat of ekerism considering that he has no discernible talent whatsoever and isn't even overly tall.

Sedat
26-11-2012, 02:00 PM
I think Ben Hudson deserves a hall-of-fame eker nomination after retiring twice at two different clubs, and still being in line to get rookied by another club:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151717/default.aspx

EasternWest
26-11-2012, 04:46 PM
I think Ben Hudson deserves a hall-of-fame eker nomination after retiring twice at two different clubs, and still being in line to get rookied by another club:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151717/default.aspx

Far too good/valuable to be an eker.

I'd love for this to happen. It seems so appropriate that he'd start again, again.

Sedat
03-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Nathan Lovett-Murray just got a contract extension and will have had a 10 year career by the time his next contract is finished. Considering the amount of games he plays as the sub, it's more like a 3 month contract extension in real time. The game's first 'sub-eker'?

LostDoggy
03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
If we actually recruit Brent Prismall he would elevated up the list of Ekers , third Club over 7 going on 8 years , 61 games with an average of 9 games a year , 2006 on his debut for Geelong he broke his arm only 8 games , 2007 only five games and broke his wrist , 2008 11 games and full knee reconstruction , end of 2008 somehow got traded for Pick 39 to Essendon , 2009 came back from his knee injury 13 games , 2010 inconsistent form but managed 15 games , 2011 just 8 games and another full knee reconstruction , 2012 no senior games

Bulldog Revolution
04-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Nathan Lovett-Murray just got a contract extension and will have had a 10 year career by the time his next contract is finished. Considering the amount of games he plays as the sub, it's more like a 3 month contract extension in real time. The game's first 'sub-eker'?

Nice post Sedat

GVGjr
20-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Does Cameron Schwab deserve an Eker rating for offering bugger all over a long period of time and somehow surviving?

To me he would be a monty to win an AFL Survivor series if it was ever on TV.

westdog54
20-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Does Cameron Schwab deserve an Eker rating for offering bugger all over a long period of time and somehow surviving?

Until now we hadn't covered administrators, but thats a damn fine nomination. Hats off.

Throughandthrough
22-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Can I nominate Port Powers Tom Logan? Was with Brisbane for 2 (?) years and now continiously gets named just on the bench eith an occasional SANFL match.

Has eked his way up and over 100 matches. #respect

Happy Days
22-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Peter Rhode did such a good job managing our list that Port thought it wise to put him in charge of theirs for the better part of a decade!

hotdog
18-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Thought it timely to revisit a favourite thread. Ben Hudson anybody? The beard is looking at going around again after retiring two years ago! Surely he deserves some love here.

LostDoggy
18-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Whispering Hudson

Twodogs
18-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Thought it timely to revisit a favourite thread. Ben Hudson anybody? The beard is looking at going around again after retiring two years ago! Surely he deserves some love here.

My theory is that Ben has lost control of his beard. Huddo retired 3 years ago but the Beard is refusing to listen and is dragging the rest of him along for the ride.

ledge
18-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Looks like Addison continues his rise in the ranks.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-09-2013, 03:21 PM

My ex wife cleaned Melbourne FC offices in '81 including Schwab's. She didn't like him but then again she doesn't like me either. Since then I've often speculated how an unlikable like him has kept on keeping on, so I say to you GVGjr well nominated!

azabob
18-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Looks like Addison continues his rise in the ranks.

Has he signed ?

bulldogtragic
18-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Has he signed ?
Hasn't been offered has he?

ledge
18-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Has he signed ?

Well he hasn't been delisted and if that's the case at worse he will be traded and that means a continued career , not sure if his contract has finished yet anyway

bulldogtragic
18-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Well he hasn't been delisted and if that's the case at worse he will be traded and that means a continued career , not sure if his contract has finished yet anyway
Unrestricted FA.

Best would be a 3rd round compo. Otherwise nothing.

ledge
18-09-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm a fan of Addison though , always gives his all and can pop up and take a good mark, is definitely worth being in a list if not ours

Rocco Jones
19-06-2014, 09:04 PM
It's been too long.

Crows- Angus Graham: 9 years in the system, two clubs and 48 games.
Lions- Stefan Martin: 27 and getting a crack after being a 3rd string ruck. Also at second club.
Blues- Andrejs Everitt: 3 clubs in 8 seasons, actually playing his best footy.
Pies- Alan Toovey: 9 seasons.
Dons- Jason Winderlich: Ekers can be handy players. 12 years for 118 games.
Freo- Kepler Bradley: 28 and still going at his second club.
GWS- Dylan Addison: An eked through and through. Just turned 26 and can become one of the greats.
Cats- Tom Lonergan: Just turned 30 and still going.
Suns- Danny Stanley An eker is a list that is very Eker free.
Hawks- Kyle Cheney: An up and coming Eker on a strong list.
Dees- Shannon Byrnes: 12 years in the system. At second club. Massive beneficiary of being at a gun club for so long.
Kangas- Michael Firrito: An out and out Eker. 12 years.
Port- Brent Renouf: At second club and on rookie list. 8 years for 68 games.
Tigers- Aaron Edwards: 30, 3 clubs with a year of VFL in there somewhere.
Saints- Beau Maister: See below.
Swans- LRT: 13 years. One of the greats.
Eagles- Sam Butler: 28 and in his 11 season.
Dogs- Mark Austin: 8 years in the system for 34 games. At his second club where he has been on the rookie list for 3 years.

Scorlibo
19-06-2014, 09:21 PM
I've seen a fair bit of Farren this year, definitely deserves an upgrade from the 'eker' tag! Genuinely good player these days.

boydogs
19-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Farren's played 188 games, I'd go with Beau Maister (28yo, 2 clubs, 6 years, 44 games) from St Kilda

Rocco Jones
19-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Farren's played 188 games, I'd go with Beau Maister (28yo, 2 clubs, 6 years, 44 games) from St Kilda

I was thinking Beau but he had a few years out of AFL level. Farren IMO still qualifies as an Eker because he has never hit gun level. However, I will listen to the people and anoint Beau as St.Eker.

azabob
19-06-2014, 10:28 PM
Collingwood need a new eker. Alan Toovey would get a game in most sides If not all sides.

Rocco Jones
19-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Collingwood need a new eker. Alan Toovey would get a game in most sides If not all sides.

Eker does not mean dud! Eker means a player who survives without being a gun. Being in that 'getting into a side' zone makes you very much an Eker.

boydogs
19-06-2014, 11:04 PM
I was thinking Beau but he had a few years out of AFL level. Farren IMO still qualifies as an Eker because he has never hit gun level. However, I will listen to the people and anoint Beau as St.Eker.

Luke Delaney (25yo in 5 days, 2 clubs, 4 years, 38 games) could be a rising eker

Twodogs
20-06-2014, 01:13 AM
I'm hoping I'm wrong but I fear that young Andrejs is finally about to break from the ekersphere into being a pretty good player. Actually I hope I'm right Everitt isa good kid with a shit load of pure footy talent. I can remember watching him kick the ball sixty metres to a target off both feet in his first pre-season.

It's a shame we didnt have the Footscray set up back then.

Throughandthrough
20-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Tom Logan recalled for Port Adealide this week, not sure if he is already on this list, if mot I nominate him as a true eker

LostDoggy
20-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Nice call on Sam Butler. Wouldn't know him if we were involved in a minor car accident.

Another Eker nom is Nick Smith - Sydney.
Rookie pick in 2007
26 - 100 odd games, great shut down defensive stopper, most people wouldn't recognise him from Joe.

Ghost Dog
20-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Are players with ambitious haircuts statistically more likely to be Ekers? Christian Howard ( sorry fella )
Howie has been hanging around for a fair while now without doing a great deal. Does he qualify?

bornadog
20-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Are players with ambitious haircuts statistically more likely to be Ekers? Christian Howard ( sorry fella )
Howie has been hanging around for a fair while now without doing a great deal. Does he qualify?

Has only played 20 games, so I would say no.

Greystache
20-06-2014, 12:11 PM

I'd have Ayce Cordy well ahead. Soon to be 24, 6 years on a list, 19 games, and still has another year to run on his contract. Potential future Eker Hall of fame member.

Happy Days
20-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Nice call on Sam Butler. Wouldn't know him if we were involved in a minor car accident.

Rookie pick in 2007
26 - 100 odd games, great shut down defensive stopper, most people wouldn't recognise him from Joe.

Nah Nick Smith is a gun, doesn't ever lose and is an underratedly good/really good kick. I know eker doesn't mean crab but it also doesn't mean really good either.

EasternWest
20-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Rookie pick in 2007

Eker? He's a damn good player, he just has a non-descript face and name.

I would take him in a heartbeat.

EasternWest
20-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Has only played 20 games, so I would say no.

Isn't 20 games the limit? Or is that the Sockeye one? So many rules.

bornadog
20-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Isn't 20 games the limit? Or is that the Sockeye one? So many rules.

Yes Sockeye's rule was lets not judge a player until they reach 20 games.

westdog54
20-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Angus Graham is on an AFL list? I'll be damned.

ledge
21-06-2014, 12:36 AM
Jake king ? How long has he been around ? one of the lucky ones I would suggest, not much talent at all but being at Richmond you tend to have more chance of being an eker.

The Underdog
22-07-2014, 06:09 PM
With the retirement of Beau Maister (formerly Wilkes) the community loses a true blue Eker.

Twodogs
22-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Mark Austin must be moving into eker immortality.

jeemak
23-07-2014, 12:02 AM

If he manages a spot on our list next year, or another club picks him up then his status would be unquestionable wouldn't it?

Greystache
23-07-2014, 12:08 AM

He's really only on par with Jarrad Grant. Both 25 years old, only 40 & 60 games respectively from their combined 15 years in the AFL system. I put Grant ahead in the eker stakes because he's not played senior footy on form, whereas Austin has been limited by being on the rookie list for 3 years, and he somehow has a contract for next year as well. Grant could be an Eker legend in the making.

Sedat
23-07-2014, 01:09 AM
With the retirement of Beau Maister (formerly Wilkes) the community loses a true blue Eker.
Yep, a mystery that he managed to survive so long in the system - he's so Eker he even survived a name change.

If Luke Lowden can't squeeze another contract out of the Hawks, I hope his awesome ekeing effort of 1 senior game in 6 seasons on the Hawks list can continue at another club.

LostDoggy
23-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Having done an 'advanced search' and without going through 26-odd pages, has Daniel Currie been mentioned?

westdog54
23-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Having done an 'advanced search' and without going through 26-odd pages, has Daniel Currie been mentioned?

I don't believe so. How long has he been on the list?

Twodogs
23-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Serious question. Who is Daniel Currie?

LostDoggy
23-07-2014, 01:32 PM

Winner!

Drafted pick 49 in 2006 draft by Swans, delisted in 2011 and played a season at North Adelaide in 2012. Re-drafted by North in 2013. Made his debut this year - at least seven years after being originally drafted. 3 games to date, less than a game every two years.

Eker lifestyle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Currie

azabob
23-07-2014, 01:32 PM

Who is Daniel Currie? - An eker, thats who...

Debut in 2014. 3 Games, 2 goals.

One of each was against the Dogs.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/player-profile/daniel-currie

"Currie spent time on Sydney's senior list from 2007 to 2011. He has great athleticism as well as strong hands in marking situations.

Very direct with hit-outs as well as follow up work when the ball hits the ground. Won the NEAFL League B & F in 2011 showing great improvement since departing the Swans and was picked up by North Melbourne in the 2012 National Draft"

westdog54
23-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Who is Daniel Currie? - An eker, thats who...

Debut in 2014. 3 Games, 2 goals.

One of each was against the Dogs.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/player-profile/daniel-currie

"Currie spent time on Sydney's senior list from 2007 to 2011. He has great athleticism as well as strong hands in marking situations.

Very direct with hit-outs as well as follow up work when the ball hits the ground. Won the NEAFL League B & F in 2011 showing great improvement since departing the Swans and was picked up by North Melbourne in the 2012 National Draft"

Its official. Eker.

bornadog
11-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Sedat will love this one:

from AFL.com.au: Third time lucky: Hawk Spangher set to re-sign

Sedat
11-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Sedat will love this one:

from AFL.com.au: Third time lucky: Hawk Spangher set to re-sign
Deserves it too. He is quite literally Hawthorn's best one-on-one key defender at the moment.

Still hasn't reached 50 games but is about to get a contract for his 10th season. I dislike Hawthorn but if they are to win the flag this year I'd love to see Spangher win a flag, after being emergency for Sydney in 2012 and Hawthon last year and also being on the Eagles list when they won the flag in 2006.

EasternWest
11-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Deserves it too. He is quite literally Hawthorn's best one-on-one key defender at the moment.

Still hasn't reached 50 games but is about to get a contract for his 10th season. I dislike Hawthorn but if they are to win the flag this year I'd love to see Spangher win a flag, after being emergency for Sydney in 2012 and Hawthon last year and also being on the Eagles list when they won the flag in 2006.

I've never got the Spangher ridicule. He's been good every time I've seen him play.

Sedat
12-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Just heard Spang got a 2 year contract extension at the Hawks. That will give him 11 consecutive seasons on a senior AFL list, and he's still shy of 50 games. Looks a lock for a future Eker hall of fame inductee.

EasternWest
14-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Just heard Spang got a 2 year contract extension at the Hawks. That will give him 11 consecutive seasons on a senior AFL list, and he's still shy of 50 games. Looks a lock for a future Eker hall of fame inductee.

He's been very good this year and deserves it.

I love this thread.

Rocco Jones
27-12-2014, 02:31 PM
With lists finalised for awhile now, it's time for an updated Eker list.

Crows- Kyle Cheney: Going into his 8th year on an AFL list and at his third club. Plays the 'versatile' defender role that is oh so eked.
Lions- Matt Maguire: Tough one here, a couple of options. Maguire has been a serviceable defender for most of his career but he looked done when let go by the Saints due to ongoing foot issues. He keeps on surviving and will have his 14 year on an AFL list.
Blues- Andrejs Everitt: Another player who looked gone. 9 seasons, 3 clubs. Playing something that looks like a run with role, eker like.
Pies- Clinton Young: 2 clubs, going into his 11th season. Outside eker type.
Dons- Jonathan Giles: Reminds me of a journeyman back up centre in the NBA (not sure if I have ever revealed this, the inspiration for ekers). Spent 4 years on Port's list with playing an AFL game. Spent a season in the SANFL before being drafted by GWS. 3 seasons there and now at his third club in Essendon.
Freo- Jonathon Griffin: Another journeyman NBA centre type. Going into his 11th season with a grand total of 69 AFL games.
Cats- Dawson Simpson: Love a back up ruckman eker. 7 seasons, 24 games.
Suns- Greg Broughton: 28 yo going into his 7th season after being delisted and re-rookied by his 2nd club.
GWS- Dylan Addison: Going into his 10th year, great work DFA. Making a career out of being a good bloke.
Hawks- Matthew Spangher: Just gets the gig over a super eker in Simpkin. 3 clubs, classic eker.
North- Michael Frittio: Just gets it over McMahon. Going into his 14th season. Was going to be delisted before they lost Delaney. Another eker legend.
Port- Tom Logan: Going into his 12th. At his 2nd club, he was delisted and re-rookied by Port at the end of 2014.
Tigers- Matt Thomas: Quite a few similar options but I am going with Thomas. 10th season, 2nd club, rookie list time, dour type etc. Hampson, Petterd and Grigg also up there.
Swans- Jeremy Laidler: 3 clubs in 7 years.
Saints- Sean Dempster: Going into 13th season at 2nd club. Very much an eker in style.
Eagles- Sam Butler: Going into his 12th season, in and out of the team.
Doggies- Ayce Cordy: Actually quite hard to pick one with us! Ayce has gone 6 years for 20 games.

bulldogtragic
27-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Kyle Cheney looks to be firming as top Eker next season. Still can't forget his missed goal against us in Launceston from 8m out.

F'scary
27-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Ayce is definitely now in Eker territory. His stats compare most favourably with other back-up ruckman ekers. He may be around for a long time yet due to the "either he stays or I go..." leverage factor. If Zaine is an A-Grader, Ayce may become the all time Eker King.

Twodogs
27-12-2014, 09:00 PM
I'd like to know which club has played the most eker games. Not the most ekers, although that would be interesting, but the most games played by ekers. I reckon it would be us or Carlton.

Sedat
06-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Thread deserves a bump with the news that Andrew Raines will debut for the Suns this weekend. He is boilerplate eker - 3 clubs, limited skills and never off an AFL list since his debut. Eker HoF beckons

Greystache
06-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Thread deserves a bump with the news that Andrew Raines will debut for the Suns this weekend. He is boilerplate eker - 3 clubs, limited skills and never off an AFL list since his debut. Eker HoF beckons

An excellent effort. 120 games in 12 years is oustanding. Anyone going at less than 10 ish games a year over more than a 7-8 year period is a quality eker. Hat's off to Andrew for also consistently finding himself playing reserves in terrible teams.

Happy Days
06-05-2015, 12:06 PM
From the AFL website:

Brisbane Lions recruit Andrew Raines (29) was brought in to stiffen up the NEAFL team, but after overcoming an off-season injury, will now be promoted to the senior list

Jesus. There's a lot to analyse here; 29 years old, having to be promoted off the rookie list, the fact he wasn't even brought in to play firsts (!!!).

He might be the GOAT. Seriously who's touching that?

SlimPickens
06-05-2015, 02:25 PM
I believe Jeremy Laidler played his 50th game against us last week. 50 games, 3 clubs, 7 years....outstanding!

Greystache
06-05-2015, 02:36 PM
I believe Jeremy Laidler played his 50th game against us last week. 50 games, 3 clubs, 7 years....outstanding!

What's even scarier is he was drafted as a rookie the same year as Jarrad Grant and is only 16 games behind him. Even worse he was drafted the year before Ayce Cordy and is 26 games in front of him :eek:. There's some pretty good ekers going around at the minute but I think Giles just has his nose in front, mostly because he was announced as a recruiting coup and a straight replacement for Ryder by Essendon and naturally is playing VFL :D.

Twodogs
06-05-2015, 04:10 PM
What's even scarier is he was drafted as a rookie the same year as Jarrad Grant and is only 16 games behind him. Even worse he was drafted the year before Ayce Cordy and is 26 games in front of him :eek:. There's some pretty good ekers going around at the minute but I think Giles just has his nose in front, mostly because he was announced as a recruiting coup and a straight replacement for Ryder by Essendon and naturally is playing VFL :D.

Outstanding examples of ekering right there!

SlimPickens
06-05-2015, 05:20 PM

I much prefer your multiple club ekers. One club ekers are just sad :)

Rocco Jones
06-05-2015, 07:01 PM

Multiple clubs definitely adds to it.

Maddog37
06-05-2015, 07:08 PM
I think if you are a small and achieve eker status it's a much better effort.

Rocco Jones
06-05-2015, 07:13 PM
Cheney, Addison and Spangher are the top 3 ekers in the game at the moment IMO.

Ghost Dog
06-05-2015, 07:40 PM

Is Everitt an eker or is Carlton so bad, it sort of elevates his status? Spangher played in a granny and did a reasonable job too. Does this disqualify him?

Rocco Jones
06-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Is Everitt an eker or is Carlton so bad, it sort of elevates his status? Spangher played in a granny and did a reasonable job too. Does this disqualify him?

I think ekers can definitely playing in premiership sides.

EasternWest
06-05-2015, 09:13 PM

Hey. Watch it!

Ghost Dog
07-05-2015, 12:04 AM
Hey. Watch it!
If Liam Jones gets another season, he will be in elite Eker territory.

BTW EasternWest, your Avatar scares me. I just can't stand seeing Tom Boyd in any other colours but ours! :)

LostDoggy
07-05-2015, 01:03 AM
Is it possible for an Eker to peak , win a Premiership and fade away ?
Well, yes .......Trent West is an obvious example , made his debut with Geelong Round 1 2008, roll forward to 2015 now with Brisbane and just 64 Career games played ( injuries have played their part )

Mantis
07-05-2015, 06:59 AM
If Liam Jones gets another season, he will be in elite Eker territory.

Liam's current contract expires at the end of 2017. ��

Ozza
07-05-2015, 09:57 AM

So you're saying you prefer a Michael Werner to a Peter Cransberg?

Ghost Dog
07-05-2015, 11:00 AM

Assured of his opportunity at Eker greatness then.

SlimPickens
07-05-2015, 11:09 AM
So you're saying you prefer a Michael Werner to a Peter Cransberg?

I think that's fairly self explanatory.

Just a side note but has it been mentioned that our current senior coach would be in the eker H.O.F. Or it that blasphemous ?

Ozza
07-05-2015, 11:21 AM

Just a side note but has it been mentioned that our current senior coach would be in the eker H.O.F. Or it that blasphemous ?

Between 30-50 games at 3 different clubs over 11 seasons.
He'd be in a forward pocket in the Eker team of the century I reckon.

Axe Man
07-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Not sure if he's been mentioned but Chris Knights from Richmond and formerly Adelaide would have to qualify.

Admittedly he was a pretty good player circa 2007-2009, but injuries have limited him to 102 games in what is now his 11th season, after being drafted in 2004. Once again he is out with a long term injury and thus far has only managed 6 games with Richmond (none in 2014 - entire seasons without games apart from when players are starting out should be worth bonus eker points).

ledge
07-05-2015, 11:29 AM
I think Dustin Flecther is the biggest eker .. 40 years old and still hanging in there , what's that 23 years on a list and the same club ! Wow !
Fair eker and managed to clock up over 400 games :-)

hujsh
07-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Is it possible for an Eker to peak , win a Premiership and fade away ?
Well, yes .......Trent West is an obvious example , made his debut with Geelong Round 1 2008, roll forward to 2015 now with Brisbane and just 64 Career games played ( injuries have played their part )

I don't think he played in a premiership, if that's what you meant

Axe Man
07-05-2015, 11:36 AM
I don't think he played in a premiership, if that's what you meant

Played in 2011 flag.

hujsh
07-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Played in 2011 flag.

That's what happens when I only check Wikipedia

1eyedog
07-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Without looking at his numbers Nahas seems like a good candidate for the North rep to me.

Twodogs
07-05-2015, 03:31 PM

Maybe we should add coaching and playing exploits. Call it the Bevo rule.

I think Dustin Flecther is the biggest eker .. 40 years old and still hanging in there , what's that 23 years on a list and the same club ! Wow !
Fair eker and managed to clock up over 400 games :-)

He's at the very least A-grade, bordering on elite.

1eyedog
07-05-2015, 03:32 PM
I thought an elite eker was a player who managed to stay on a list(s) the longest and play the least amount of games?

Mofra
07-05-2015, 03:36 PM
I thought an elite eker was a player who managed to stay on a list(s) the longest and play the least amount of games?
Daniel Currie come on down

1eyedog
07-05-2015, 04:20 PM
Daniel Currie come on down

Ha ha good get had to look him up. Top shelf eker.

An eker is clearly a bloke who can hold onto a job the longest and do the least amount of work during their tenure. Daniel Currie has put in 10 years for 3 games. Awesome work if you can get it.

Greystache
07-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Ha ha good get had to look him up. Top shelf eker.

An eker is clearly a bloke who can hold onto a job the longest and do the least amount of work during their tenure. Daniel Currie has put in 10 years for 3 games. Awesome work if you can get it.

Which included a year in the SANFL, which is the equivalent of coming back to life and continuing to eke. Eker legend.

Greystache
07-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Nathan Krakouer could do with some love in this thread too. Walked out on 2 clubs, went to the bush and looked like he swalloed a sheep, never played a good game, and 4 years later is somehow plying his trade in the SANFL while being on the list of one of the teams he walked out on. Stunning stuff from a 27 year old with 40 games to his name.

Axe Man
07-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Another potential eker in his 6th season for only 3 games:

After 1384 days, Cat Josh Cowan will finally play again (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-07/after-1384-days-cat-josh-cowan-will-finally-again)

JOSH Cowan will play his first game in nearly four years when he lines up for Geelong against Collingwood on Friday night.

Cowan last played for the Cats in round 18, 2011 before a series of Achilles and hamstring injuries derailed his career.

The 24-year-old has had two bouts of surgery on his Achilles, but after some good VFL form this season he will complete his return to the senior side on Friday night.

"It's all very exciting," Cowan told the club's website.

"These are the sort of games you really want to play – big games, big crowd at the MCG. So I'm very excited right now.

"Tomorrow and tonight I guess I'll be very nervous, I just looking forward to. I can't wait for it to start."

Cowan was taken with pick No.56 in 2009 NAB AFL Draft and made his debut against Gold Coast in round 10, 2011.

LostDoggy
07-05-2015, 07:07 PM
At which time he'll be traded to Brisbane to claim his spot in the halls of the Eker gods.

Add to that a decent stint in the public service between his playing and his coaching life and he's looking like leadership group material.

Nathan Krakouer could do with some love in this thread too. Walked out on 2 clubs, went to the bush and looked like he swalloed a sheep, never played a good game, and 4 years later is somehow plying his trade in the SANFL while being on the list of one of the teams he walked out on. Stunning stuff from a 27 year old with 40 games to his name.
Blessed with a surname.

Twodogs
07-05-2015, 11:44 PM
The public service stint is icing on a very impressive eker cake

Maddog37
09-05-2015, 09:25 AM
I'm too lazy to go back through the thread but some Eker royalty was on show last night surely!? Tony Armstrong.

ledge
09-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Has Josh Cowan just prolonged his career as an eker by getting injured again ?
By the way my Dustin Fletcher comment was tongue in cheek sarcasm .. Aged 40 and still going, that's got to be an age eker in football.
Talk about taking it to the extreme , I mean think about it he is 40 his son could have been playing with him the last 4 years if he had one at 18.
Amazing stamina and body is Dustin.

Twodogs
09-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Has Josh Cowan just prolonged his career as an eker by getting injured again ?
By the way my Dustin Fletcher comment was tongue in cheek sarcasm .. Aged 40 and still going, that's got to be an age eker in football.
Talk about taking it to the extreme , I mean think about it he is 40 his son could have been playing with him the last 4 years if he had one at 18.
Amazing stamina and body is Dustin.

My sarcasm meter must have been on the fritz. :o

Bulldog Joe
09-05-2015, 11:42 AM
I'm too lazy to go back through the thread but some Eker royalty was on show last night surely!? Tony Armstrong.

Good pick.

3 clubs and senior games with all without ever looking like he deserves a game.

westdog54
09-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Good pick.

3 clubs and senior games with all without ever looking like he deserves a game.

Though he does have a claim to fame of playing two games in the one day.

Bulldog4life
10-05-2015, 03:29 AM
I know he was mentioned previously but Dawson Simpson is one of my favourite ekers. In his 8th season and has played 27 games. Congrats Dawson

merantau
13-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Has Merv Keane from Richmond been mentioned. How about Mark Athorn who played for us AND three other clubs over a few years of Dale Kickett who played for FIVE clubs I think. Alan Davis and Craig Davis were around for a long time with multiple clubs. Neal Peart? Alan McConnell played for us and someone else and I think was the last bloke to coach Fitzroy (for a game or two after Nunan??? resigned) And the daddy of them all, the most unskilled player ever to play league football - David Polkinghorne.

Throughandthrough
26-05-2015, 08:01 PM
And the daddy of them all, the most unskilled player ever to play league football - David Polkinghorne.

A mate of mine is a mad Hawks fan (and member). Quite randomly his name is David Polkinghorne. A few years back the Hawks rang him to tell him that he's winning a Hawk's HOF honour. He repectfully declined.

And speaking of Ekers, does/did Mick Malthouse qualify?

LostDoggy
26-05-2015, 08:03 PM
Andrejs Everitt is still getting around, saw him on Friday night and geEKED out.

AndrewP6
26-05-2015, 08:23 PM
There's a story on the AFL site about Josh Hill, where he talks about giving it everything in what might be his last year. Eking to the end.