PDA

View Full Version : Eade scared the daylights out of green Irishman

Bulldog Revolution
06-11-2009, 10:35 PM
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/eade-scared-the-daylights-out-of-green-irishman/2009/11/06/1257247738858.html

Eade scared the daylights out of green Irishman
Michael Cowley | November 6, 2009 - 10:33AM

RODNEY EADE was the one who gave Tadhg Kennelly his "opportunity" and taught him about the foreign game, but the Irishman admits in his new book, Unfinished Business, he was scared of the coach throughout his time at the club.

Kennelly writes that the 2002 season, Eade's last, was "not a very enjoyable" time to be playing at the Swans with "the players and coach at loggerheads" and morale down, before the players decided they needed a rare, impromptu, mid-season, bonding session. The morning after they were confronted by Eade, who ordered a "brutal weights session". The following day, Eade resigned.

"Although I'd been scared of him for most of my time at the club 'Rocket' had taught me a lot about the game, particularly tactics and reading the play," Kennelly writes.

"He was the one who had given me my opportunity and for that I would forever be indebted to him. There had been a lot of fear playing under Rocket, especially for young players. You felt that if you made a mistake, you'd be dropped the next week, or if you made an error, at quarter-time or half-time the coach would blow the shit out of you.

"The fear had always been there, both at training and in the games. It was unhealthy and forced a lot of players to go into their shells and not express themselves.

"For the players it was certainly a case of going from one extreme to the other [when Paul Roos took over], with Roosy an absolute favourite amongst the boys. That was obvious in the way we played for him. There was a drastic change in the game plan, with the players basically told just to go out and play. The shackles were released by our new coach for the final 10 games of the season and they were easily the most enjoyable I had played."

Kennelly says word got out among the players the board was intending to give the job to Terry Wallace. They made a statement in the final game, beating Richmond at Telstra Stadium, then gathering in the middle of the ground, before lifting Roos onto their shoulders. "It was a real defining moment. We were telling the board that this was our man."

AndrewP6
06-11-2009, 10:58 PM
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/eade-scared-the-daylights-out-of-green-irishman/2009/11/06/1257247738858.html

RODNEY EADE was the one who gave Tadhg Kennelly his "opportunity" and taught him about the foreign game, but the Irishman admits in his new book, Unfinished Business, he was scared of the coach throughout his time at the club.

Kennelly writes that the 2002 season, Eade's last, was "not a very enjoyable" time to be playing at the Swans with "the players and coach at loggerheads" and morale down, before the players decided they needed a rare, impromptu, mid-season, bonding session. The morning after they were confronted by Eade, who ordered a "brutal weights session". The following day, Eade resigned.

"Although I'd been scared of him for most of my time at the club 'Rocket' had taught me a lot about the game, particularly tactics and reading the play," Kennelly writes.

"He was the one who had given me my opportunity and for that I would forever be indebted to him. There had been a lot of fear playing under Rocket, especially for young players. You felt that if you made a mistake, you'd be dropped the next week, or if you made an error, at quarter-time or half-time the coach would blow the shit out of you.

"The fear had always been there, both at training and in the games. It was unhealthy and forced a lot of players to go into their shells and not express themselves.

"For the players it was certainly a case of going from one extreme to the other [when Paul Roos took over], with Roosy an absolute favourite amongst the boys. That was obvious in the way we played for him. There was a drastic change in the game plan, with the players basically told just to go out and play. The shackles were released by our new coach for the final 10 games of the season and they were easily the most enjoyable I had played."

Kennelly says word got out among the players the board was intending to give the job to Terry Wallace. They made a statement in the final game, beating Richmond at Telstra Stadium, then gathering in the middle of the ground, before lifting Roos onto their shoulders. "It was a real defining moment. We were telling the board that this was our man."

God, does he stick the knives in or what?

AndrewP6
06-11-2009, 11:01 PM
There had been a lot of fear playing under Rocket, especially for young players. You felt that if you made a mistake, you'd be dropped the next week, or if you made an error, at quarter-time or half-time the coach would blow the shit out of you.

obviously only for young players, not seniors. Rocket doesn't use the same method now - case in point EAGLE- the guy tried everything to get dropped this year and it never happened ;)

Mofra
07-11-2009, 08:31 AM
obviously only for young players, not seniors. Rocket doesn't use the same method now - case in point EAGLE- the guy tried everything to get dropped this year and it never happened ;)
FFS how much can one group of supporters bad out a bloke that's played 200 games for the club?

Disgraceful.

Go_Dogs
07-11-2009, 09:28 AM
I think Rocket has matured and become a much different coach to his time at Sydney, at least from an outside perspective (who really knows what it's like behind closed doors). He certainly has a better feel for the needs of younger players which is very important these days.

Bulldog4life
07-11-2009, 09:50 AM
FFS how much can one group of supporters bad out a bloke that's played 200 games for the club?

Disgraceful.

Have to agree. It gets so monotonous and boring.

mighty_west
07-11-2009, 10:01 AM
God, does he stick the knives in or what?

And good on him, if you're going to write a book, why suger coat things? Just because Lakey doesn't mind the odd spray from time to time...:p

He also praises Rocket with giving him the opportunites, teaching him the game etc.

AndrewP6
07-11-2009, 12:08 PM

Disgraceful.

My wink indicated my comment was tongue in cheek. I'm not an Eagle-basher, I like the guy.

LostDoggy
07-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Rocket has come out himself and said that there were things he did back then, that he wouldn't do now I guess he has mellowed a bit, but he can be hard on some of the younger players, Josh Hill, Everitt maybe.

AndrewP6
07-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Rocket has come out himself and said that there were things he did back then, that he wouldn't do now I guess he has mellowed a bit, but he can be hard on some of the younger players, Josh Hill, Everitt maybe.

Methinks it's warranted in those cases.

OLD SCRAGGer
08-11-2009, 08:49 AM

Disgraceful.

Couldn't agree more Mofra. I get so bloody angry at these so called experts who do nothing but hang shit on players. If you can do better bloody well get out there and do it. Get off the poor buggers back:mad::mad::mad:

LostDoggy
08-11-2009, 03:13 PM
So maybe that's why Everitt wanted out?

hujsh
08-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Tadhg quits Kerry (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/barry-hall-to-have-ankle-clean-out/story-e6frf9jf-1225795401161)
Jay Clark From: Sunday Herald Sun November 08, 2009 12:00AM

Tadhg Kennelly is poised to resume his AFL career after quitting his Gaelic football club, Kerry, yesterday.

While he has yet to commit to the Swans, the club is hopeful the 2005 premiership backman will play there next season.

Sydney coach Paul Roos said yesterday he would talk to Kennelly, 28, about his future when he returned to Australia to promote his new book, Unfinished Business, later this month.

"We are just waiting to hear back from him and, hopefully, that will happen when he gets back," Roos said.

Kerry chairman Jerome Conway told Irish newspapers Kennelly had quit the club after fulfilling his life-long dream of winning an All-Ireland medal.

Kennelly is still on the Swans' playing list, despite shocking the club with his decision early this year to return home to Ireland, after 158 AFL games.

The Coon Dog
08-11-2009, 05:10 PM
So maybe that's why Everitt wanted out?

Everitt didn't want out. His manager was shopping him around.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I think Rocket has matured and become a much different coach to his time at Sydney, at least from an outside perspective (who really knows what it's like behind closed doors). He certainly has a better feel for the needs of younger players which is very important these days.

Yep.

Pretty much sums it up. Hill and Everitt have deserved their exclusions from the side too. I still think Rocket has too much faith in many of the senior players, but it'll be interesting to see how all that is handled next year.

With every year, I am sure a coach learns something new.

LostDoggy
08-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Everitt didn't want out. His manager was shopping him around.

I also heard he wanted out because of lack of opportunity...

Sockeye Salmon
08-11-2009, 08:43 PM
I also heard he wanted out because of lack of opportunity...

There was a quote from his manager, and I paraphrase, "I didn't think he was getting the opportunities he deserved so I asked on his behalf", or something like that.