PDA

View Full Version : Football (in general)

Twodogs
11-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Before I start this I just want to say that channel One is brilliant! So many different codes of football to watch.

I love AFL footy but I'm just a footyhead in general. Soccer and Rugby Union are the two other codes that I really take an interest in. I've got a passing interest in Rugby League or American football-I'll watch it if nothing else in on.

Soccer gets me through the non AFL bits of the year. I picked Arsenal when I was just a kid (they've got a rude word in their name, snigger!) and have had no reason at all to change. Carn the Gunners!

I always liked Union because it's tough, the balls always live (unlike League) and it's got a lot of tradition. In 1985 the Wallabies sent one of the great teams to Great Braitain and I watched every match-I was hooked from then on.

How do you guys get through those non-Bulldogs parts of the year?

Sedat
11-11-2009, 02:20 PM
By re-aquainting myself with my family :D

G-Mo77
11-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Basketball usually does. It was a real struggle last year because my team got ripped away from me (Seattle), this season I've been really enjoy watching it from a neutral perspective.

The Coon Dog
11-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I quite enjoy the A League & I watch the EPL most weekends.

hujsh
11-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Cricket mainly. I'm still not used to life post-Warne though.

NFL can be good when it's on.

BulldogBelle
11-11-2009, 03:46 PM

Tennis - Love tennis, especially looking forward to the Australian Open, I go to quite a few sessions during the two weeks it is on. Also like watching the cricket and cycling.

comrade
11-11-2009, 04:12 PM

I watch re-runs of Antiques Roadshow until the NAB Cup starts.

LostDoggy
11-11-2009, 05:08 PM
I watch re-runs of Antiques Roadshow until the NAB Cup starts.

Its simply smashing:rolleyes:

The Bulldogs Bite
11-11-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm mainly training in pre-season but I've been out of action for a while. I watch a lot of the old games in past seasons too but admittedly I haven't got to that stage yet. After the Preliminary Final I needed a break.

Lately I have taken interest in A-League/EPL when it's on. I don't really follow it, but watch it for a bit when it's on. My uncle's a mad Chelsea fan and has sent over gurnseys, soccer balls etc. over the years and I enjoy watching players like Berbatov and even young Hines.

LostDoggy
11-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Even though it's at the same time of year - Rugby League!! :D

Enjoying the four nations at the moment - just got Foxtel again on the weekend, after a 12 month absence - LOVING IT!! :D

The Pie Man
11-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Sport wise, the A-League & EPL keep me interested, but in reality it's all about the weather. Just sitting in the backyard with shorts and a singlet on is enough to look forward to.

October is probably the longest month in year for me - weather not so great yet, and not much around to distract me from another finals letdown.

Should 2010 go the way we all think it can for the Dogs, October can be as long as it wants ;)

Twodogs
11-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Cricket mainly. I'm still not used to life post-Warne though.

Sadly I dont think that time will never come again. He was the greatest cricketer ever and it was awesome fun healing the mental scars that were formed watching the Australian test team lose series after series to the Windies and the ****ing poms. Even the bloody Kiwis were lording it all over us with Hadlee and Martin Crowe dominating.

All Hail Warnie.

Twodogs
11-11-2009, 07:11 PM
By re-aquainting myself with my family :D

Oh yeah. Them...

mighty_west
11-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Footy in winter, Cricket in summer, it's the Aussie way!

;)

Sockeye Salmon
11-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Sadly I dont think that time will never come again. He was the greatest cricketer ever and it was awesome fun healing the mental scars that were formed watching the Australian test team lose series after series to the Windies and the ****ing poms. Even the bloody Kiwis were lording it all over us with Hadlee and Martin Crowe dominating.

All Hail Warnie.

This old bloke called Don Somebody called. A guy I know said he could bat a bit.

chef
11-11-2009, 08:16 PM
For me it's extra work, as I work in a tourist town(Echuca) and it gets crazy once it gets hot. Plus I have just inherited 2 acre's and have spent the last week planting about 300 natives. Hopefully the new house will be finished by the time footy starts again.

comrade
11-11-2009, 08:19 PM
This old bloke called Don Somebody called. A guy I know said he could bat a bit.

He never had to face Warne.

1eyedog
11-11-2009, 09:12 PM
I start focusing on work, at least until the first test starts. Soccer or A league I should say doesn't gel with me. very un-Australian game that one.

AndrewP6
11-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Basketball mainly... I HATE the cold weather, so apart from the Bulldog-less days, summer's good for me. Go to the gym, play ball... as a kid I liked cricket, but not really now. Watch a bit of tennis, but not a mad keen fan.

Sockeye Salmon
11-11-2009, 10:44 PM

Probably could have played him with a stump

BulldogBelle
12-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Not really that interested in other sports.

Don't really like the thought of giving my cash to the other codes.

Will watch a bit of cricket over summer.

Will also head up to Echuca a few times over summer for some water skiining. l will be looking out for you CHEF. If your land is on the river l will happily come and stay with you.:D

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 11:13 AM

The other side of the coin: Warnie never faced Sir B, who played sub-continent leg-spin as well as anyone who's ever played it.

Shane, while generally terrorising the Poms and Afrikaans, doesn't actually have the best record against those who can actually play spin, like the old-school Indians.

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Also some cat named Garfield something-or-other. Could both bat and bowl, apparently.

And some other bloke with a girly-sounding name -- Vivian, I think it is.

Twodogs
12-11-2009, 12:36 PM
And some other bloke with a girly-sounding name -- Vivian, I think it is.

Vivi was good-I know I saw some of his best digs in person-but he isnt in the same ballpark as Warnie, Braddles and, um, errr, well Warnie and Braddles anyway.

In reckon so far in my lifetime of watching cricket, and I went to my first test match in 1970, it's;

1. Warnie
2. Tendulkar
3. Gilchrist (we really, really underrate this bloke)
4. Imran
5. S. Waugh

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Leave the country, goto Canada on a working holiday and return mid-late March in time for round 1 :D

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Vivi was good-I know I saw some of his best digs in person-but he isnt in the same ballpark as Warnie, Braddles and, um, errr, well Warnie and Braddles anyway.

In reckon so far in my lifetime of watching cricket, and I went to my first test match in 1970, it's;

1. Warnie
2. Tendulkar
4. Imran
5. S. Waugh

You can't include Lillie?

Cyberdoggie
12-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Soccer bores me to tears.

I've tried to like it but i just find it an absurd sport.

Union has it's moments. The very best games are great to watch but at any other level it can be slow moving, a tedious kicking game and a game that has a poorly weighted scoring system that doesn't reward try's.
The game is basically won and lost by the referee (sounds like soccer as well).

In summer i play cricket and other sports, so i don't have time to watch anything much.

Cyberdoggie
12-11-2009, 01:32 PM

1. Warnie
2. Tendulkar
4. Imran
5. S. Waugh

The lack of W.Indies cricketers in there bothers me.
No Big Bird, Malcom Marshall, Michael Holding, Andy Roberts, Sir Viv, Clive Lloyd (how big were those glasses!), Greenidge, Haynes,
Gee they have slipped as a cricketing nation haven't they.

Special mentions to Wasim Akram.

Today i'm a huge fan of Kumar Sangakara.
He's a top bloke and can bat.

Twodogs
12-11-2009, 01:36 PM
You can't include Lillie?

I thought long and hard about DK. Believe me it hurt to leave him out but these days I cant honestly say that's he is the best Australian fast bowler I've seen, unless you make the argument that McGrath was strictly a medium pace line and lengther. McGrath with his constant nagging probing and brilliant planning has to be the best Australian in that category of bowling.

Twodogs
12-11-2009, 01:45 PM
No Big Bird, Malcom Marshall, Michael Holding, Andy Roberts, Sir Viv, Clive Lloyd (how big were those glasses!), Greenidge, Haynes,
Gee they have slipped as a cricketing nation haven't they.

Special mentions to Wasim Akram.

Today i'm a huge fan of Kumar Sangakara.
He's a top bloke and can bat.

If the Australian team of the late '90s early '00s hadnt come along we'd still laud the above as the best ever I reckon. They were good but face to face I reckon that Warne would have taken them down not to mention that McGrath would have stopped them like a contstipated mouse and then S. Waugh, Gilchrist, Taylor and Warne would have sledged them to defeat from there!

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I thought long and hard about DK. Believe me it hurt to leave him out but these days I cant honestly say that's he is the best Australian fast bowler I've seen, unless you make the argument that McGrath was strictly a medium pace line and lengther. McGrath with his constant nagging probing and brilliant planning has to be the best Australian in that category of bowling.

Statistically, Lillie is behind Mc Grath for two reasons; firstly because of his unavailability for Tests due to injury (back) and secondly because of his unavailability due to world series cricket.

That time out of the game and the fewer number of Tests played during his era prevented him from recording similar numbers to Mc Grath.

He could do things with the ball that no other quick I have seen could do. At one pre-season meeting of the Australian and shield captains together with the first class umpire's panel, they presented the ball to be used for the forth-coming season with the commment, "You will note gentlemen how the seam is much flatter than what you are used to."

And it certainly was. When questioned as to why this was the case, the comment was made, "Fot is able to do too much with the ball and is getting more movement of the pitch than the slows."

So, they changed an implement of the game to overcome him. A bit what like they did with Lindrum and Bradman.

This is the best testament of how good Lillie was. And I can tell you from close quarters, he was breath-taking.

Warne is the best bowler I have seen but in my opinion, Lillie is the best quick. But we know what opinions are, don't we.

Scorlibo
12-11-2009, 02:43 PM
1. Warnie
2. Tendulkar
4. Imran
5. S. Waugh

Its a quality list, but I'm shocked that no one has yet mentioned Ponting? Do you think that his occasionally bad captaincy has tarnished his reputation as a player? He's right up there with Tendulkar as a batsman for mine, and his fielding has always been first class.

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Wow, all this because I said Richards was pretty good.

--

Gavaskar, Richards and Sobers have to be in the top five with Warnie and Sir Don, surely? (Is that the Wisden list? I'm just pontificating...)

Gilly, Lillie, Imran, Tendulkar, Lara and the legendary Windies quick brigade are the next tier down to these immortals. Maybe Ponting.

Then your Steve Waughs and Glenn McGraths and Kumar Sangakarras and Wasim Akrams are another very short step to the next tier down again, surely. It's still no disrespect to be in the top 10/15 players to have ever lived.

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Its a quality list, but I'm shocked that no one has yet mentioned Ponting? Do you think that his occasionally bad captaincy has tarnished his reputation as a player? He's right up there with Tendulkar as a batsman for mine, and his fielding has always been first class.

A-hah! I just did.

Sockeye Salmon
12-11-2009, 02:58 PM

1. Warnie
2. Tendulkar
4. Imran
5. S. Waugh

1. Warne
2. Richards
3. Lillee
4. Greg Chappell
5. Tendulkar

My real regret is never seeing Sobers or Graeme Pollock.

Pollock played in (I think) David Boon's testimonial match when he was in his 50's. He played this short-arm jolt through covers that hit the fence so hard it almost rebounded back to the extra cover fielder.

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 03:17 PM
1. Warne
2. Richards
3. Lillee
4. Greg Chappell
5. Tendulkar

Pollock played in (I think) David Boon's testimonial match when he was in his 50's. He played this short-arm jolt through covers that hit the fence so hard it almost rebounded back to the extra cover fielder.

What, no Brett Lee?

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Sobers 250 against the Rest of the World when Lillie was at his quickest was arguably the best innings ever played at the MCG.

Lillie had taken 8/29 in the previous match and Sobers said, "Somebody's got to do something about him."

I saw Pollock when I was a teenager and he gave the impression that there was no way anybody was going to get him out. His driving was brutal.

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Sobers 250 against the Rest of the World when Lillie was at his quickest was arguably the best innings ever played at the MCG.

Lillie had taken 8/29 in the previous match and Sobers said, "Somebody's got to do something about him."

I saw Pollock when I was a teenager and he gave the impression that there was no way anybody was going to get him out. His driving was brutal.

Sobers was awesome in that game. Best innings ever anywhere, perhaps.

bornadog
12-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Footy in winter, Cricket in summer, it's the Aussie way!

;)

me too,

I can take or leave other footy codes, to boring.

mighty_west
12-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Geez, how do you compare & rate these players, i was fortunate enough to first start watching cricket as a youngster when the Windies were the powerhouse, and Lillee was god.

If i compared McGrath & DK, Dennis was by far a better quick, but Oooh Aaah more consistant, probably a little bit like comparing Scotty West with other great Bulldogs, Westy's strength was his consistancy without being an absolute superstar.

Viv was a master blaster, but i would have Sachin & Ponting ahead of him, i was never a huge Greg Chappell fan, and that run of ducks probably tarnished his career a little for mine - "he's not playing badly, he just keeps getting out".

I have always been a fan more so for the quicks, probably because i was brought up with the likes of DK, Thommo, Holding, Marshall, Imran, Kapel Dev, Hadlee, Garner, Andy Roberts, Croft....Garth Le Roux :D

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Lillee wasn't just a great player, he was charisma.

Sedat
12-11-2009, 04:07 PM
No Big Bird, Malcom Marshall, Michael Holding, Andy Roberts, Sir Viv, Clive Lloyd (how big were those glasses!), Greenidge, Haynes.
From 1980 to 1995, they went 15 years without losing a single test series - no other test cricketing nation has come remotely close to achieving such an amazing unbeaten run over such a long period of time. Such a shame that their decline coincided with our emergence - both teams were roughly on a par from 1991 to 1995, with the 1991 Caribbean, 1992/3 Australian and 1995 Caribbean test series between the two teams showcasing some of the most fiecely contested test cricket since the WSC era. Even the 1997/8 series in Australia was a terrific contest, with Ambrose and Walsh giving one last gasp against a clearly superior opponent at the top of their game.

As for Lillee, he was every bit as idolised as Warnie as his peak. The crowd roar when he dismissed Viv Richards with the last ball of the first day's play in the MCG test in 81/82 to have the Windies reeling at 4/10 was as deafening a roar as you'll ever hear. Lillee was an absolute gun, best leg cutter in world cricket.

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Or the Windies in the 80's

No, he didn't but he had to contend with conditions which were far more difficult -

Uncovered wickets and
Leg theory.

The Underdog
12-11-2009, 04:13 PM
With the advent of OneHD I've been able to follow the NFL again. In fact I've barely enough time in the week to watch all 3 games. Really enjoy it.
Try to keep up with the EPL and A-League but with no Foxtel it's difficult. Don't get to go to the Victory games much either as I use most of my free passes during footy season.

I still enjoy test cricket, although one dayers are dying and 20/20 holds no interest for me.
This summers tours from West indies and Pakistan don't help to maintain the interest much either.

comrade
12-11-2009, 04:18 PM
No, he didn't but he had to contend with conditions which were far more difficult -

Uncovered wickets and
Leg theory.

It could also be argued that he played against glorified amateurs his whole career.

LostDoggy
12-11-2009, 04:41 PM
It could also be argued that he played against glorified amateurs his whole career.

The existing county system was in place then, without the relatively recent additon of Durham and the English team was almost entirely professional.

Don't know what you mean by glorified amateurs - they were full time professionals

The amateurs were the Australians.

Bradman was a stockbroker. Woodfull was a school teacher etc

AndrewP6
12-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Soccer bores me to tears.

I've tried to like it but i just find it an absurd sport.

Someone agrees with me! WHOO HOO! :)

Scorlibo
12-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Someone agrees with me! WHOO HOO! :)

Yea I personally find soccer very boring, but still watch the world cup intently when it comes around. I can appreciate just how skillful the players are and I understand why it would appeal to some people.

The English Premier league, which every decent soccer follower in Australia seems to follow, is ridiculous. I can't remember anyone ever winning outside of Arsenal, Liverpool, Man-U and Chelsea. Furthermore, I can't recall anyone I know backing any team outside of those teams because they would never win. So because no one backs the other teams, they have no money to buy the star players, and because they don't have the star players they don't win, and because they don't win, no one backs them. Its one vicious cycle with one simple answer: salary cap. :rolleyes:

Sockeye Salmon
12-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Yea I personally find soccer very boring, but still watch the world cup intently when it comes around. I can appreciate just how skillful the players are and I understand why it would appeal to some people.

The English Premier league, which every decent soccer follower in Australia seems to follow, is ridiculous. I can't remember anyone ever winning outside of Arsenal, Liverpool, Man-U and Chelsea. Furthermore, I can't recall anyone I know backing any team outside of those teams because they would never win. So because no one backs the other teams, they have no money to buy the star players, and because they don't have the star players they don't win, and because they don't win, no one backs them. Its one vicious cycle with one simple answer: salary cap. :rolleyes:

There is one simple cause: Free Agency.

Sockeye Salmon
12-11-2009, 09:23 PM
The one common thing about all sports is you have to have an emotional attachment. I can't get into any sport where I don't care who wins.

I like soccer but as I don't have any attachment to any team (other than whoever is playing ManU) I don't get into it as much as I could.

I do like watching the national team (now that they play meaningful matches) and I'm going to try to get into the new Melbourne team but you can't simply force these things so I'll see how it goes.

Twodogs
13-11-2009, 12:01 PM
The crowd roar when he dismissed Viv Richards with the last ball of the first day's play in the MCG test in 81/82 to have the Windies reeling at 4/10 was as deafening a roar as you'll ever hear. Lillee was an absolute gun, best leg cutter in world cricket.

That remains my favorite day's play from all the test match cricket I've watched. Hughes's hundred, Alderman's best innings in test cricket just to get Hughes over the line and then Lillee tearing through the top order in the 6 overs the Windies had to face before stumps. In my minds eye I am standing at at mid off when the ball slams through Vivi's gate and into the stumps. I can remember 15 minutes after stumps the crowd standing on the ground and demanding that DK come out on the balcony.

gohardorgohome
13-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I get along to the Melbourne Victory several times a year....it's a good night out....

I just got back from my first trip to America. One night I went to an Ice Hockey game.....its a much better game to watch live than on TV....those guys are hard at it.....if players decide that they dont like each other, the game will stop and the two players will sort out their dislike for one another..then once they fall down on the ice they will be sent off for five minutes for being naughty boys.....I have an internal laugh to myself when straight after the dust up, the TV screen at the stadium cut straight to the cheerleaders who were with some kids jumping up and down supporting their team....it was all very wholesome........not long after this I heard someone in the crowd saying "Hockey is not as tough as it used to be..."....I suppose some sentiments are the same no matter what sport.....

I used to follow Rugby Union quite a bit around the 2003 world cup....but I have dropped off due to the stupid kicking game.....

Rugby League is a crap game mostly played by morons........
play the ball...pass it ... pass it.... tackle.....
play the ball...pass it ... pass it....something different may happen.........
play the ball...pass it ... pass it....something different may happen.........

mighty_west
13-11-2009, 02:38 PM
The one common thing about all sports is you have to have an emotional attachment. I can't get into any sport where I don't care who wins.

Agree with that 10000000%.

I used to be right into the local NBL, when the South East Melbourne Magic were a force, and attracting 10,000 - 15,000 at games, the rivalry betweeen Magic & Tigers [who i cannot stand, they are like Collingwood] was unbelievable, used to goto most games, the atmosphere was electric - then all of a sudden, they fold.

I tried to follow the Vic Titans, i was a "luke warm" fan, if that, they fold....fast forward to the Dragons, win title, guess what....FOLD.

It's become a pathetic excuse of a league, when one time, was buzzing, i might flick over now & watch not even 2 minutes, just because there is nothing else on.

soupman
13-11-2009, 02:45 PM

I'm pretty sure the only reason you can't remember any other teams winning the Premier League is because only 4 have won it (if my memory serves correctly). Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Blackburn (No Liverpool I think). So a league that has been around since 1992 has had 4 winners. For half the clubs finishing top 8 is awesome.

And Ice Hockey is the coolest sport going around outside footy. Shame it's not televised here.

I don't have a passionate interest in any sport other than Footy, but can watch soccer, cricket, cycling, Rugby (prefer Union but League is alright) and most other sports. I have particularly enjoyed the Grid Iron on channel One, but hate the Slamball thing which is as wanky as humanly possible.

Sockeye Salmon
13-11-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm pretty sure the only reason you can't remember any other teams winning the Premier League is because only 4 have won it (if my memory serves correctly). Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Blackburn (No Liverpool I think). So a league that has been around since 1992 has had 4 winners. For half the clubs finishing top 8 is awesome.

And Ice Hockey is the coolest sport going around outside footy. Shame it's not televised here.

I don't have a passionate interest in any sport other than Footy, but can watch soccer, cricket, cycling, Rugby (prefer Union but League is alright) and most other sports. I have particularly enjoyed the Grid Iron on channel One, but hate the Slamball thing which is as wanky as humanly possible.

And Blackburn won it just the once, more than 15 years ago.

soupman
13-11-2009, 03:21 PM

Yeah. It's an absolute joke. Makes you appreciate the cyclic system we have in place.

Scorlibo
13-11-2009, 04:26 PM

Right you are, Liverpool always seem to be in the top four though, in fact aren't they recognised as the bridesmaids of the league? AKA Collingwood?

Twodogs
14-11-2009, 11:49 AM

They won the back of a truly great season by Alan Shearer who promptly shot out the door to Newcastle. Blackburn were rubbish after he left and it's a crying shame that a big club could just waltz in with the big bucks and take him away.

Was Shearer the first bigname player who left his club under the Bosman rule?