PDA

View Full Version : Richo retires

BulldogBelle
12-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/matthew-richardson-set-to-retire/story-e6frf9jf-1225797058120)

Very sad stuff really. I'll miss seeing him play. (not as much as I miss seeing Granty or Westy play of course)

GVGjr
12-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/matthew-richardson-set-to-retire/story-e6frf9jf-1225797058120)

Very sad stuff really. I'll miss seeing him play. (not as much as I miss seeing Granty or Westy play of course)

Has this been confirmed?
A great footballer and someone I enjoyed watching.
Whilst for a number of years his body language was poor, he was an excellent footballer.

bulldogsman
12-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Has this been confirmed?

Not yet, but apparently he will announce it on friday.

What a sad day. A top bloke and footballer.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86997/default.aspx

Throughandthrough
12-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Jebus, is it too late to take Hall now?

JOKE

Remi Moses
12-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Jebus, is it too late to take Hall now?

JOKE

Don't get what your'e implying. let's be honest had aserious hammy issue,alas Hall hasn't had any major injury problems[Ankle clean up ]Liked Richo but just wonder if sending a 32 y/o 6ft 4 footballer on to the wing was a wise move. Richmond supporters are carrying like the bloke has died,he's just retired from playing FFS:eek:

Sockeye Salmon
12-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Don't get what your'e implying. let's be honest had aserious hammy issue,alas Hall hasn't had any major injury problems[Ankle clean up ]Liked Richo but just wonder if sending a 32 y/o 6ft 4 footballer on to the wing was a wise move. Richmond supporters are carrying like the bloke has died,he's just retired from playing FFS:eek:

You obviously didn't see me when Granty pulled the pin.

AndrewP6
12-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Richmond supporters are carrying like the bloke has died,he's just retired from playing FFS:eek:

Good call Remi... not much of a rap for Richo... seems like an OK bloke, but all the on-field carrying on lingers in my memory. Talented of course, but the other stuff sticks in my mind. And yes, he retired. He didn't shuffle off the mortal coil!

Remi Moses
12-11-2009, 10:03 PM

I'll see the great man tomorrow down at Willy beach. Carries himself well,friendly real gent is Granty.

Rocco Jones
12-11-2009, 10:18 PM
I'll see the great man tomorrow down at Willy beach. Carries himself well,friendly real gent is Granty.

My partner's nan lives next door to Granty in Willy. We live in Newport and go see her quite a bit. Granty is always lovely. Mog (the nan) broke her leg and Granty gave her his and his partner's number and told her to call anytime she needed help. He is a beautiful man.

I absolutely love Richo, my favourite non-Bulldogs player. Very sad about the news. Sure he threw too many hissy fits but at least he cares. He was a fantastic footy player and I would have loved to see him play more finals footy.

Max469
13-11-2009, 12:07 AM

Nor me.

Still haven't recovered.

I am having 3 teeth out tomorrow and one of my friends at work reckons the only way I can get through this is with Granty and Murphy holding my hand while it happens. I wish. ;)

LostDoggy
13-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I used to hate Richo, but now I like the man.
Same thing happened with Lloyd.
I think it's because I'm around the same age, when they were young, I was young, and they were just other players.
Once they hit the 30 mark and people were calling them old veterans, I felt a kind of kinship.
And I felt sorry for them.

LostDoggy
13-11-2009, 10:16 AM
He was a fantastic footy player and I would have loved to see him play more finals footy.

With the Dogs. What we would have done with Richo at CHF and Granty at CHB.

comrade
13-11-2009, 10:34 AM

I'm not embarrassed to say that it's the only time I've cried in the last 5 or so years :o

EasternWest
13-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Has this been confirmed?
A great footballer and someone I enjoyed watching.
Whilst for a number of years his body language was poor, he was an excellent footballer.

I never had a problem with his body language. I liked that if your performance was substandard he would let you know. On the reverse of that, he was one of the most enthusiastic backslappers when something was done well. Richmond supporters gave him such a hard time, imagine how revered he'd be if he were one of ours.

EasternWest
13-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Same thing happened with Lloyd.

I appreciate the sentiment, but can't agree with you on Lloyd. The ridiculous half smirk, the desperation to find someone to slap hands with after a goal, the constant, incessant flopping, the sniping, the private school haircut (ok, the haircut's out of line).

Though I will say (grudgingly) he does seem like a decent bloke off the field.

Anyway, enjoy your retirement Richo. Loved watching you play.

Ozza
13-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Richo may well have played his best game against us.
His 10 goals against us in 2004 - wow - what a performance.
He was a sensational player and character of the game - and I loved watching him play - even against us.

LostDoggy
13-11-2009, 11:31 AM
He was a sensational player and character of the game - and I loved watching him play - even against us.

My abiding memory of Richo playing against the Dogs was a game in 2007? when he took a great pack mark in the second minute, running with the flight of the ball, 15 metres out on a 45-degree angle, then wobbling in like a drunk man and slipping and kicking it with the outside of his boot. The ball skewed off his foot and curved like a boomerang, missing the behind post closest to him by a good 20 metres. It missed by so much it almost looked like he kicked it backwards. I was right behind the line of the kick and I couldn't believe it.

That passage of play was Richo in a nutshell. Sublime and ridiculous all in the same breath.

Scraggers
13-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Richo has retired??? Good ... never liked him ... He was such a whinger, particularly at his own players

Just as an aside, I read a comment in the Hun (online) from a fan, saying he had just watched a video of the highlights of all of Richo's finals appearances ... bloody short video :D

LostDoggy
13-11-2009, 12:41 PM
I like a man who shows his emotion. Don't mind Richo at all. :)

Was a bit peeved with the media going on about what a shame it was he didn't win the 2008 Brownlow. FFS, his team finished 9th!!!! :p

westdog54
13-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Had Richo played for any other club I think he'd be universally considered as one of the all time greats of the game.

Instead he played with a bunch of incompetent fools for most of his career in a position where you need support up the ground if you're to play your best.

Has a 250 game, 800 goal player ever been so maligned by his own supporters? I don't recall many 195cm, 100kg wingmen in our game either.

Thanks for a great career Richo. I appreciate your efforts even if Tiger fans don't.

gohardorgohome
13-11-2009, 02:02 PM
I've heard Richo interviewed several times and he come across as a really good bloke....One of my favourite non Doggies players of all time........you had every end of the emotional rollercoast with the guy....Pure brilliance and stupid mistakes......

I understand him being upset with the rubbish kicks that he used to recieve from his midfielders.......He wore his heart on his sleeve...nothing wrong with that in my opinion.......Also played with a broken arm a few days after having a plate inserted....what a great effort in a very ordinary team...

mighty_west
13-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Well done Richo on a very good career, he was the only half decent thing to come out of Punt Road, the rest can go............

LostDoggy
13-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Glad to see him gone- now I can hate those bastards with the psychotic vengeance that is my birthright. It was only my appreciation of Richo's skills, whole-hearted endeavour, entertainment value, and obvious decency that allowed me to consider that those associated with Richmond should, perhaps, be entitled to a bare minimum of oxygen.

A true favourite of all who love the heritage and romance of footy, and a genuinely great player. All the best Richo!

So, now with Mickey O and Richo gone, can anyone suggest a new non-Bulldog favourite?

Mofra
13-11-2009, 03:36 PM
So, now with Mickey O and Richo gone, can anyone suggest a new non-Bulldog favourite?
Farren Ray? :p

BulldogBelle
13-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Richo could have played on, and would have if we wasent playing for Richmond

Poor fella...

Topdog
13-11-2009, 04:21 PM

Same here but for different reasons. He told me to '**** off' about 10 years ago because I was looking in the back seat of his car where a mannequin was. Very strange indeed.

I started liking him after he was interviewed on 'On the couch'. It was just after he got paid for a push in the back after the rules were changed. He spoke really well and I thought 'this bloke has matured'.

My abiding memory of Richo playing against the Dogs was a game in 2007? when he took a great pack mark in the second minute, running with the flight of the ball, 15 metres out on a 45-degree angle, then wobbling in like a drunk man and slipping and kicking it with the outside of his boot. The ball skewed off his foot and curved like a boomerang, missing the behind post closest to him by a good 20 metres. It missed by so much it almost looked like he kicked it backwards. I was right behind the line of the kick and I couldn't believe it.

That passage of play was Richo in a nutshell. Sublime and ridiculous all in the same breath.

Haha I remember that too. It was classic Richo and the perfect way to describe him.

LostDoggy
13-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Same here but for different reasons. He told me to '**** off' about 10 years ago because I was looking in the back seat of his car where a mannequin was. Very strange indeed.

That is strange indeed. Is there more to the story?

LostDoggy
13-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Gunna miss Richoman.

Richo Richo Man I wanna be, A Richoman.

Was hoping if Coons didnt win the brownlow Richo would, truly a great of the game and I'm gunna miss watching him out there putting in everything..

He's like the mancrush I never had.

Topdog
13-11-2009, 07:29 PM
That is strange indeed. Is there more to the story?

Nah I was just drunk and stumbling out of a mates place and saw it. Stared and laughed for about 20 seconds before came out of the place he was in and told us to go away. I continued on my merry way laughing at the ridiculousness of the situation.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Vale Richo. The game will not be the same without you. You were part of a strange generation whose fathers played VFL yet were better than their fathers--Bull, Silvagni, Darcy, Scarlett.
Players like you will be fewer and farther between methinks. Thanks for the mammaries.

Sockeye Salmon
13-11-2009, 10:02 PM

I reckon he kicked 4 on Scott Bassett in about 10 minutes, 3 on Shaggy* and the rest on Ben Harrison. Hardly the biggest and most intimidating backline going around.

*One of those goals on Shaggy involved Richo picking Shaggy up depositing him about 5 yards away before taking the mark.

Like when KT got 15, the umpires got a bit caught up in the excitement that day too.

Mantis
14-11-2009, 12:51 AM
I saw Harris* after the game and gave him a spray for not being out there.

LostDoggy
14-11-2009, 09:45 AM

Theres that awesome/horrid footage :) Richo Kicks His 10th (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbF1gZd2Ljw&feature=related)

And here is some Classic Richo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg_U1XPRg4&feature=related)

LostDoggy
16-11-2009, 01:36 PM
*One of those goals on Shaggy involved Richo picking Shaggy up depositing him about 5 yards away before taking the mark.

Is that actually against the rules? What rule would it fall under -- illegal shepherding?

EasternWest
16-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Is that actually against the rules? What rule would it fall under -- illegal shepherding?

Holding the man I would've thought. Then again, Shaggy V. Richo is more like holding the toddler.

Rocco Jones
16-11-2009, 09:08 PM

Holding the man I would've thought. Then again, Shaggy V. Richo is more like holding the toddler.

Push in the back is my guess.

LostDoggy
17-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Push in the back is my guess.

That's what I thought initially, but if his hands are around his arms while picking him up, that's neither a 'push' nor 'in the back'. More a 'carry' and 'by the side'.