PDA

View Full Version : Former Blue Edwards 'in mix' says Eade

aker39
17-11-2009, 11:28 AM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/87179/default.aspx

THE Western Bulldogs have invited former Carlton player Jake Edwards to train with them in the hope of unearthing another tall option.

The 21-year-old played five games for Carlton between 2005 and 2009 before being delisted last month.

Coach Rodney Eade said the Dogs would consider adding him to their list as a defensive option.

"We're looking for some taller forwards/defenders," Eade said on Tuesday.

"He played his last ten games this year at the Bullants in defence and did very well.

"He's in the mix, whether it's senior list or rookie list."

The Bulldogs' young guns resumed training on Monday and will be joined by their older teammates next week

Bulldog Revolution
17-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I'd say Edwards is further advanced than Mulligan

LostDoggy
17-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Welcome home, if this does eventuate. The Edwards are a long-time Footscray family (apart from his dad who many of us would have seen in the tri-colours, didn't his granddad and great-granddad also play over 100 games for the Dogs?)

Good honest back-up for Tommy Williams or if any of our other tall timber down back gets a niggle.

Remi Moses
17-11-2009, 11:58 AM
only seen him play briefly,there was some conjecture on his kicking

comrade
17-11-2009, 12:45 PM
I thought he was older than that. Lack of defensive depth is one of the (only) major gaps in our list, so adding a young FB with a ready made body to the rookie list seems like a good idea.

He seems more of a negater, rather than a creative type, but the Bulldogs link makes it enticing.

Mofra
17-11-2009, 01:09 PM
I think the 2nd tall/CHB back-up is a glaring need on our list, so am happy the club is looking at mature options. No disrespect to Tommy but he hasn't shown that his body can stand up to a full season of AFL.

Sedat
17-11-2009, 01:19 PM
To paraphrase one of my Carlton supporting mates, who went to a lot of Bullants matches in 2009:

"Has a lot of natural talent but didn't have the determination to work hard to get to the next level. Has good pace, skills are reasonable and very clean hands. He could make it if he worked hard. Maybe in a different environment he will shine."

Certainly worth a rookie slot based on the above description. The last discarded young key defender to be rookie-listed by another club was Zac Dawson 12 months ago.

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Welcome home, if this does eventuate. The Edwards are a long-time Footscray family (apart from his dad who many of us would have seen in the tri-colours, didn't his granddad and great-granddad also play over 100 games for the Dogs?)

Good honest back-up for Tommy Williams or if any of our other tall timber down back gets a niggle.

Great family connections with his Grandfather Arthur Edwards being a member of our '54 Premiership and great grandfather Frank 'Dolly' Aked involved with the Bulldogs for 50 years firstly as a player and then as a trainer. A cousin to Jake Edwards is Collingwood's Shane O'Bree, another member of this talented footballing family.

LostDoggy
17-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Great family connections with his Grandfather Arthur Edwards being a member of our '54 Premiership and great grandfather Frank 'Dolly' Aked involved with the Bulldogs for 50 years firstly as a player and then as a trainer. A cousin to Jake Edwards is Collingwood's Shane O'Bree, another member of this talented footballing family.

Exactly. The Kennel is just where he belongs, and no wonder he couldn't get it up for the Blues, the bastards. Now that he's in his spiritual home, he'll fly.

LostDoggy
17-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Went to primary/high school with this guy was in the same grade 5/6 class a year below me.

Didn't surprise me he made it to AFL level he was always one of the best in school footy.

Will be quite funny if we got him and I ended up cheering him on. I think his grandfather was referred to as Butch Edwards in his day..

GVGjr
17-11-2009, 06:43 PM
A couple of years back he looked like an exciting option but stalled a fair bit. Don't mind the idea of having him down at the club despite what some Carlton supporter mates say :)

comrade
17-11-2009, 06:50 PM
A couple of years back he looked like an exciting option but stalled a fair bit. Don't mind the idea of having him down at the club despite what some Carlton supporter mates say :)

They're just praying that he doesn't come good with us. Geez it'd be nice to stick it up them for once.

Go_Dogs
17-11-2009, 06:50 PM
I think the 2nd tall/CHB back-up is a glaring need on our list, so am happy the club is looking at mature options. No disrespect to Tommy but he hasn't shown that his body can stand up to a full season of AFL.

Yep, some additional insurance is a must, and hopefully within our environment he can blossom.

GVGjr
17-11-2009, 06:54 PM
They're just praying that he doesn't come good with us. Geez it'd be nice to stick it up them for once.

All season long they were saying he was useless but whilst they hope he does OK with us they did say don't get your hopes up. Time will tell.

bulldogtragic
17-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Question:

Use the last pick on Edwards or Mal Lynch and risk losing the other in the rookie draft (and perhaps rooking them too)?

lemmon
17-11-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm not sure I'd be prepared to using up a spot on the senior list but if he trains well and seems committed, definitley rookie him.

Go_Dogs
17-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Question:

Use the last pick on Edwards or Mal Lynch and risk losing the other in the rookie draft (and perhaps rooking them too)?

Are we allowed to just add Lynch to the rookie list as a down-grade, or does that (I'm thinking Melbourne with Meesen/Newton) still allow for him to be 'up for grabs', or have we just missed the boat which would allow us to do so?

I'm sure all of the above has been answered somewhere, so sorry if someone is repeating themselves here.

FWIW, I'd prefer we use our ND picks on kids, and if we want to get some mature insurance, do that through the RD.

Sockeye Salmon
17-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Are we allowed to just add Lynch to the rookie list as a down-grade, or does that (I'm thinking Melbourne with Meesen/Newton) still allow for him to be 'up for grabs', or have we just missed the boat which would allow us to do so?

I'm sure all of the above has been answered somewhere, so sorry if someone is repeating themselves here.

FWIW, I'd prefer we use our ND picks on kids, and if we want to get some mature insurance, do that through the RD.

Lynch is fair game for anyone who wants him.

Go_Dogs
17-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Lynch is fair game for anyone who wants him.

But, could we have down-graded him to a rookie if we wished, and he'd be ours? That is what I was getting at.

If we didn't, (or couldn't because we didn't wait for the rule change to be clarified - although surely I'd imagine a backdating process would be allowed in that circumstance) it would be a good sign that we don't want him anymore. Or perhaps as some have suggested, it's an indication he could go straight back onto the senior list.

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm hot and hungry. Dinner time :D

mighty_west
17-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Not too sure if it's been posted anywhere, but along with Patty Rose, Dane Rampe also training with the Dogs:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10459-0-0&sID=54954&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=10564070&sectionID=54954

Hotdog60
17-11-2009, 11:19 PM
A bit more on Rampe,

Still chasing the AFL dream

By Tim Doutré

1st September 2009 11:05:53 AM

http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/photos/star/week34_09//large/DaneRampe_35568_09_suc7.jpg

Purchase this photo from Star Photos

Top prospect … Williamstown Reserves player Dane Rampe received an invitation to the AFL state screening to be held later this month. 35568 Picture: RAY POLLANEN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE elusive AFL dream may not be over for some quality VFL footballers with the announcement of the AFL State Screening invitees recently.

Williamstown sharp-shooter Patrick Rose and 2009 recruit Dane Rampe scored invitations, as did Werribee ball magnet Michael Barlow.

The three have had very different lead ups to the announcements which have the potential to shape their future careers. Rose, the eldest of the trio at 23, has had training sessions with AFL clubs in the past, including Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs but is yet to find his way on to an AFL list.

More here (http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/story/79386)

Rocco Jones
17-11-2009, 11:35 PM
I think we should definitely look at any decent tall defensive cover option.

mjp
18-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Jake is interesting.

Played CHF for Vic Metro at u16 level and contributed well at TAC Cup level with Western after returning from the carnival - probably set expectations pretty high for his first full year of u18 footy.

That first year the Jets were TERRIBLE. They managed to lose round 1 to Eastern after being 6 goals up with 15 minutes to play, snatched defeat from the jaws of victory again in round 2 before being belted in round 3...and on and on it went in a season that yielded only 3 wins. Jake started the year at CHF and was OK but never really dominated, spent a couple of weeks in the midfield and then settled at full-back where he became a very, very good player.

Some comments in this thread are not reflective of the kid I knew though - without trying to overstate things, he is one of the most hard-working, committed, likable kids I have ever been involved with. In a season that was a real struggle he never complained, never tried to deflect blame onto anyone else and in a bottom side as a 17 year old (bottom aged player) he basically took over the leadership of the playing group and was a key factor in getting even those three wins.

All of that said, it was a bit of a surprise when he was drafted - he had another year of TAC Cup footy ahead of him and whilst his year had been solid it hadn't really been outstanding (though as I said he played a few excellent games at full-back). To me, full-back was really his spot where he was best suited - he has sub 3.0 sec 20m speed which was helpful in defending the opposition and good kicking skills off both sides...no worries there. I was always surprised that Carlton persisted with him at half-forward - given his physical attributes (explosive rather than endurance) his spot was the goal square in either attack or defence. To me, he lacked that 'extra' something you need to be a successful ff at AFL level but he had everything required to be a good full back.

I am biased because I really like the kid and would love to see him make it. That said, I am pretty certain that anyone who spends 5mins with him would like him and anyone who watches him train will confirm he is a really hard worker...

Go_Dogs
18-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks for that mjp, very informative post. Sounds like the perfect rookie list player for us.

LostDoggy
18-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Went to primary/high school with this guy was in the same grade 5/6 class a year below me.

Didn't surprise me he made it to AFL level he was always one of the best in school footy.

Will be quite funny if we got him and I ended up cheering him on. I think his grandfather was referred to as Butch Edwards in his day..

Yeah im in the same boat, went to High school with him and played in junior level with him. Great Guy, hope he does well, Be nice to be cheering for him.

Rocco Jones
18-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Some great insight there mjp, much appreciated.

comrade
18-11-2009, 10:11 PM
On a related 'discard trying to kick start a career' note - former nearly-Bulldog Life Member Wayde Skipper is training with Hawthorn.

Also, Guy O'Keefe's name isn't on the latest 'Permission to Train' list.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87265/default.aspx

BulldogBelle
18-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Edwards will hopefully be energised by the move, and by the red, white and blue, and the fact that it might be his last shot at the top

If Lake or Morris or Williams gets injured its between Edwards and Mulligan and Tiller to cover the key defensive posts

Our depth isnt that great back there considering Williams' injury history...

Mantis
18-11-2009, 11:10 PM
If Lake or Morris or Williams gets injured its between Edwards and Mulligan and Tiller to cover the key defensive posts

Our depth isnt that great back there considering Williams' injury history...

Wash your mouth out with soap... We have Boumann who is the answer to all our defensive problems.

(He may or may not be the answer, but a few posters on this site will burst with pride when he plays his first game)

LostDoggy
18-11-2009, 11:35 PM
I hope he makes it. I like the romance associated with him being a 4th generation bulldog player.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-11-2009, 11:48 PM
We really need another KPD and so if Edwards can hold up well in the competitive stakes I would be all for rookie listing him.

192cms is a little short unless he has a good leap though. Riewoldt, Kosi, Hawkins, Roughead, Franklin etc. are all 195cm+ and if Edwards was our CHB he'd be required to play on a few of these types.

Mofra
19-11-2009, 10:23 AM
We really need another KPD and so if Edwards can hold up well in the competitive stakes I would be all for rookie listing him.

192cms is a little short unless he has a good leap though. Riewoldt, Kosi, Hawkins, Roughead, Franklin etc. are all 195cm+ and if Edwards was our CHB he'd be required to play on a few of these types.
We finished last year with 190cm Morris as our CHB.
Scarlett, Rutten & Glass are 192cm as well. Unless it is a standing duel, players can give up an inch or two and still beat their opponent or at least be competitive.

Would still like to see us add a youngster at the draft who can possibly play CHB though, even if we do rookie Edwards

Dry Rot
19-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Going on mjp's excellent review, isn't Edwards better suited to be an understudy FB not CHB?

Mofra
19-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Going on mjp's excellent review, isn't Edwards better suited to be an understudy FB not CHB?
Could be - even so, I don't think his height precludes him from playing that role either.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-11-2009, 06:45 PM
We finished last year with 190cm Morris as our CHB.
Scarlett, Rutten & Glass are 192cm as well. Unless it is a standing duel, players can give up an inch or two and still beat their opponent or at least be competitive.

Would still like to see us add a youngster at the draft who can possibly play CHB though, even if we do rookie Edwards

Morris has been manhandled by Franklin and Riewoldt though. Battled very well a couple of times but there's been important occasions where he's struggled through no fault of his own.

I am surprised Scarlett, Rutten and Glass are 192cms. They are all FB's though which might suit them a little more as they're very strong through the core. Admittedly I haven't seen enough of Edwards to judge him on this.

GVGjr
19-11-2009, 11:03 PM
I hope he makes it. I like the romance associated with him being a 4th generation bulldog player.

Same here.

EasternWest
22-11-2009, 11:49 PM

Well said ES, I'd like to see us give him a go.

strebla
23-11-2009, 12:47 PM

I too like the romance side of it add Talia and it would be a very good story over the summer although I doubt we will have the opputunity to draft him but I live in hope:)

GVGjr
23-11-2009, 06:32 PM
My mail is that Edwards will not be offered a spot on the senior list. Might be more of a rookie chance at the moment.

comrade
23-11-2009, 06:45 PM
My mail is that Edwards will not be offered a spot on the senior list. Might be more of a rookie chance at the moment.

A sound list management strategy I would have thought. Go with the best available youth via the draft, and take advantage of the rookie list to plug some potential holes with a readymade player.