PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs team of your era

Rocco Jones
18-11-2009, 10:34 PM
This thread is more about hearing from some of the most experienced posters on this site than posting my side.

Basically, I want posters to nominate their best Bulldogs 22 from their time watching. Mentioning the period of time which the team is based on would be nice too.

I started going to watch the Dogs play a few games at the Western Oval in 88 and 89. I started going to pretty much every game in Victoria from 1990 when I was 9. So basically my team is based on the period from 1990 to present day. In effect, anything pre-1990 counts for nothing.

B: Kretiuk, Lake, Morris
HB: Gilbee, Croft, Hargrave
C: Cameron, West, Boyd
HF: Johnson, Grant, Murphy
F: Brown, Darcy, Smith
R: Wynd, Cooney, Liberatore
I/C: Cross, Giansiracusa, Wallis, Hahn

Coach: Rodney Eade
Captain: Scott Wynd

Just a few things:
- Hawk misses out due to me missing his great years
- Wallis only gets a spot on the bench because I missed a lot of his career as well
- Gian and Hahn get in due to longevity, a massive advantage in a relatively short period of time to base a greatest team on.

Mantis
18-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Not a bad effort RJ.

A couple of things:

* Smith - FP - Nah, he either plays on the HBF or doesn't play.
* Boyd on a wing - I know there isn't much difference these days with the on-ball roles, but Boyd isn't your atypical wingman. Surely Eagleton should fill this role due to your longevity rule (yeah it hurts to say that)

I will give it a go tomorrow so you can pick the bones out of my efforts.

mighty_west
19-11-2009, 12:30 AM
My side, started going to games in the late 70's as a young fella, my first real hero was KT, so pretty much from that time onwards.....

B: Lake - Kennedy - Gilbee
HB: Hardie - Foster - Wallis
C: Hawkins - West - Cameron
HF: Grant - Templeton - Johnson
FF: Royal - Beasley - Brown

R: Wynd - McGuiness - Cooney

INT: Smith, Jennings, Liberatore, Dempsey
Coach: Eade

Emer: Dunstan - McLean - Murphy

Lake & Grant obviously out of position, but both imo can move around somewhat, obviously Grant to CHB, Lake around the backline, where's the likes of Kennedy, Fossie, Templeton & Beasley are really only one position players.

Sockeye Salmon
19-11-2009, 10:00 AM
B: Egan, Lake, Foster
HB: Wallis, Grant, Gilbee
C: Hawkins, West, Cameron
HF: McGuinness, Templeton, Johnson
F: Edmond, Beasley, Royal
R: Dempsey, Cooney, Liberatore
I: Smith, Darcy, Brown, Dunstan.

Apologies to MacPherson, McLean, Morris, Murphy, Kretiuk, Wynd, Whitten, Abbey and of course Ian Salmon

Mantis
19-11-2009, 10:15 AM
B: Morris, Lake, Hardie
HB: Gilbee, Foster, Wallis
HF: Murphy, Grant, Johnson
F: McGuinness, Beasley, Darcy
R: Wynd, Cooney, Royal

Int: Liberatore, Croft, Smith, Cross

Ozza
19-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I began going to the footy in 88....every Melbourne game by 89 when I was six...so this is mine (very much off the top of my head, first crack:

B: Morris; Lake; Gilbee
HB: Wallis; Foster; Smith
C: Hawkins; Wallace; Cameron
HF: Murphy; Grant; Johnson
F: Royal; Beasley; Darcy
R: Wynd; Cooney; West
Int: Liberatore, Boyd, N.Brown; Akermanis
Emerg: Paul Hudson; Cross; Croft

LostDoggy
19-11-2009, 11:20 AM
B: Donald; Lake; Schultz
HB: Bryant; Whitten; Gilbee
C: Hawkins; West; Gardiner
HF: Grant; Templeton; Duffy
F: Johnson; Beasley; Sutton
R: Dempsey; Cooney; Libba
Int: Bryden, Smith, Hardie; Wynd

Emerg. Box

chef
19-11-2009, 06:06 PM
FB Morris Lake Hardie
HB Smith Foster Cameron
C Hawkins West McGuinness
HF Johnson Grant Brown
FF Darcy Beasley Royal
R Wynd Cooney Liberatore
IN Kretiuk Kolynuik Wallis MacPherson

The Pie Man
19-11-2009, 07:06 PM
HB: Gilbee, Grant, Wallis
HF: Murphy, Foster, P.Hudson
F: Johnson, Beasley, Akermanis
Int: Higgins, Darcy, Smith, Boyd
Emerg: Croft, MacPherson, Kennedy

This is from 85 BTW

Will be interesting to revisit this down the track - if Griffen can maintain his late season form, he gets amongst my list (glad he showed me up) I think Higgins earns his spot

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Been with the 'Dogs since 1959, and reckon you would struggle to beat this team.

B. Bryant Lake Dempsey
HB. Wallis Grant Jillard
C. Hawkins West Johnson
HF. G.Ion Templeton Murphy
F. Quinlan Beasley Royal
R. Schultz Whitten Liberatore
Int. Wynd Cross Morris Boyd
Coach. Rodney Eade
Capt. Ted Whitten

Mantis
20-11-2009, 08:34 AM
HB: Gilbee, Grant, Wallis
HF: Murphy, Foster, P.Hudson
F: Johnson, Beasley, Akermanis
Int: Higgins, Darcy, Smith, Boyd
Emerg: Croft, MacPherson, Kennedy

This is from 85 BTW

Will be interesting to revisit this down the track - if Griffen can maintain his late season form, he gets amongst my list (glad he showed me up) I think Higgins earns his spot

Higgins in yet no McGuinness who was an absolute star between 86 & 90. :confused:

I would have thought that Foster and Grant should be changed, no doubt Grant was an excellent CHB, but he played in that position for just 10 to 15% of his career. Foster was also much more effective in the back half.

Sockeye Salmon
20-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I would have thought that Foster and Grant should be changed, no doubt Grant was an excellent CHB, but he played in that position for just 10 to 15% of his career. Foster was also much more effective in the back half.

I agree that in this instance Grant and Foster should swap (Fossie was a very average CHF) but Grant was the best CHB I've seen in the last 35 years. Knights, Glendenning, Jakovich, Turtle had them all covered.

The only reason he won't be recognised as such is because he was too important at CHF to allow him to play there much. Grant's 96 was as good a year from a CHB as you will see.

The Pie Man
20-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Higgins in yet no McGuinness who was an absolute star between 86 & 90. :confused:

Fair - granted McGuinness was fantastic for us, Higgins is probably a more speculative pick in that I think he'll surpass someone like McGuinness with the next 12-36 months. He's better overhead/more versatile as well.

Grant was at CHB probably a bit more than 10-15% of his career (maybe not much more though - 96, most of the noughties when he was on the park) and it's like Lake getting picked at BP for the AA team this year, how much did he play there?

Happy to swap Foster/Grant given the consensus is Foster was better in the back half - I was a little kid in the 80's, my memory can fail me (enduring memory was Foster running from 50 out to shake the goal umps hand after incorrectly awarding him a goal at WO)

Mantis
20-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Fair - granted McGuinness was fantastic for us, Higgins is probably a more speculative pick in that I think he'll surpass someone like McGuinness with the next 12-36 months. He's better overhead/more versatile as well.

I don't think that reasoning should come into it. On that basis I would make up to 3 or 4 (maybe more) changes to include players like Harbrow, Higgins, Ward, Griffen, etc.. who I believe will surpass some of their predecessors over their careers.

The Coon Dog
20-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Very tough exercise indeed. Lots of quality players missed out.

B - Brad Hardie - Rick Kennedy - Brian Lake

HB - Steve Wallis - Peter Foster - Rohan Smith

C - Doug Hawkins - Scott West - Leon Cameron

HF - Jim Edmond - Kelvin Templeton - Chris Grant

F - Brad Johnson - Simon Beasley - Nathan Brown

R - Gary Dempsey - Tony McGiunness - Brian Royal

INT - Scott Wynd - Stephen MacPherson - Tony Liberatore - Ian Dunstan

I would pay good money to watch this & all of the other teams picked play!

mighty_west
20-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Very tough exercise indeed. Lots of quality players missed out.

B - Brad Hardie - Rick Kennedy - Brian Lake

HB - Steve Wallis - Peter Foster - Rohan Smith

C - Doug Hawkins - Scott West - Leon Cameron

HF - Jim Edmond - Kelvin Templeton - Chris Grant

F - Brad Johnson - Simon Beasley - Nathan Brown

R - Gary Dempsey - Tony McGiunness - Brian Royal

INT - Scott Wynd - Stephen MacPherson - Tony Liberatore - Ian Dunstan

I would pay good money to watch this & all of the other teams picked play!

WHAT! No Coon Dog, Coon Dog? :p

How would we go today with a spine like that!

Twodogs
20-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Fossie was a very average CHF

I disagree. Perhaps earlier in his career he struggled at CHF but he was selected to play for the big Vee at CHF after a string of good performances there after establishing himself at CHB early in his playing days.

Twodogs
20-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Anyway;

Bulldog4life
20-11-2009, 02:24 PM
My team is selected from 1960 onwards. A difficult assingment indeed. Here goes after much consideration:

B: Bryant, Lake, Dempsey
HB: Wallis, Foster, Jillard
C: Hawkins, West, Johnson
HF: Grant, Templeton, Edmond
F: McGuiness, Beasley, Royal
R: Schultz, Whitten, Liberatore
I: Wynd, Cooney, Bisset, Quinlan

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-11-2009, 03:56 PM
My team is selected from 1960 onwards. A difficult assingment indeed. Here goes after much consideration:

HB: Wallis, Foster, Jillard
C: Hawkins, West, Johnson
HF: Grant, Templeton, Edmond
F: McGuiness, Beasley, Royal
R: Schultz, Whitten, Liberatore
I: Wynd, Cooney, Bisset, Quinlan

This is a good side. I overlooked Bisset in my team by mistake and would have had wee Georgie in for Brian Royal.

Ozza
20-11-2009, 04:23 PM
This is a good side. I overlooked Bisset in my team by mistake and would have had wee Georgie in for Brian Royal.

Do Brian Royal Victorian games count - because although young - I remember he was an absolute GUN in State games!

Bulldog4life
20-11-2009, 05:25 PM

Yes Georgie was a great player for us. Should have been a Brownlow Medalist. If you remember he came second to Kevin Murray, by I think 1 vote. Georgie was reported in the last round, if my memory serves me correct, where he was clearly BOG. In those days a player didn't receive a vote if he was reported. To top it off he was found not guilty by the Tribunal!

Sad day when he left for Collingwood.

Sockeye Salmon
20-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Anyway;

Gee that's a good team, I wish I'd posted that.

The Pie Man
20-11-2009, 07:00 PM
I don't think that reasoning should come into it. On that basis I would make up to 3 or 4 (maybe more) changes to include players like Harbrow, Higgins, Ward, Griffen, etc.. who I believe will surpass some of their predecessors over their careers.

Maybe not - I respectfully disagree. Johnson was named in the team of the Century in 2002, and there was some conjecture over whether it was more a 'speculative' pick (albeit he was already a quality player) which has been more than justified since

I remain comfortable with it

westdog54
20-11-2009, 08:28 PM
My earliest recall of going to see Footscray play was us getting towelled up by Hawthorn at WO in 1988.

B: Morris Lake Kretiuk
HB: Wallis Grant Gilbee
C: Hawkins West Cameron
HF: Johnson Murphy Giansiracusa
F: Kolyniuk Beasley Royal
R: Wynd Liberatore Cooney
Int: Darcy Cross McGuinness Smith

I feel envious of people like Twodogs and Sockeye who have had the privelige of seeing immortals like Dempsey and Templeton run around.

I know Murphy at CHF sticks out a bit, but as far as I'm concerned I haven't seen a bulldog play a better CHB role than Turtle. To have him anywhere else would seem just wrong.

Croft is extremely unlucky, but I think there's enough flexibility in that backline that another big man on the bench is unwarranted.

Mantis
20-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Maybe not - I respectfully disagree. Johnson was named in the team of the Century in 2002, and there was some conjecture over whether it was more a 'speculative' pick (albeit he was already a quality player) which has been more than justified since

I remain comfortable with it

At the end of the 2001 season Brad Johnson had played 167 games for our club. Even though his selection was 'speculative' he had shown enough in these games to justify his selection.

Personally I don't think Higgins has shown enough in his 52 games to gain selection in such a team, but in the end it's your call.

GVGjr
20-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Backs:
Gilbee - Lake - Kennedy

Half Backs:
Smith - Grant - B.Cordy

Centres:
Hawkins - West - Cameron

Half Forwards:
Brown - Templeton - Hudson

Forwards:
Quinlan - Beasley - Johnson

Rucks:
Dempsey - McGuiness - Royal

Interchange:
Edmond - Romero - Darcy - Libertore - Dunstan - Foster - Atkins

Coach: Michael Malthouse Captain: Jim Edmond

Apologies to a number of players including a couple of Brownlow medallists.

Happy Days
20-11-2009, 11:03 PM
My earliest Bulldogs memory was West Coast at Whitten Oval in 1997, so I'll go from there.

B: Gilbee, Lake, Kretiuk
HB: Smith, Morris, Hargrave
C: Boyd, West, Griffen
HF: Giansiricusa, Grant, Murphy
F: Brown, Johnson, Hudson
Foll: Darcy, Cooney, Cross

I/C: Liberatore, Eagleton, Higgins, Akermanis

Tough. Most of my experiences came during a lean period, hence Johnson at FF and the lack of a second ruck option.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes Georgie was a great player for us. Should have been a Brownlow Medalist. If you remember he came second to Kevin Murray, by I think 1 vote. Georgie was reported in the last round, if my memory serves me correct, where he was clearly BOG. In those days a player didn't receive a vote if he was reported. To top it off he was found not guilty by the Tribunal!

Sad day when he left for Collingwood.

Do Brian Royal Victorian games count - because although young - I remember he was an absolute GUN in State games!

George Bisset also represented the State, won our Club's best and fairest and in the Bulldogs Team of the Century. Didn't really want to leave the Bulldogs but went to Collingwood under the Ten year rule. Became a selector during Terry Wheeler's time as coach. Now firmly back entrenched in the Bulldogs camp and attends every game. As referred to was reported for striking Carlton's Ian Robertson, after kicking 6 goals with a clearly best on ground performance.George Bisset was one of 5 players to win a best and fairest award after coming from Braybrook. These included Ted Whitten, Doug Hawkins, Wally Donald, Ray Walker and George Bisset.

Twodogs
21-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Gee that's a good team, I wish I'd posted that.

Haha. I was wondering if you'd notice.:p

I looked at yours, thought "well me and SS have ben going to the footy for pretty much the same length of time, and I cant better that side" So I just cut and pasted yours!

The only change I was tempted to make was Purser for Dunstan. And to try and fit Lally in...

Sockeye Salmon
21-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Haha. I was wondering if you'd notice.:p

I looked at yours, thought "well me and SS have ben going to the footy for pretty much the same length of time, and I cant better that side" So I just cut and pasted yours!

The only change I was tempted to make was to try and fit Lally in...

The most noticeable thing was Mick Egan.

No-one else has given him any love at all, I thought he was a wonderful player. Another one of our blokes cut down with injury, what would Mick Malthouse have given for a fit Mick Egan in 85?

LostDoggy
21-11-2009, 09:11 PM
From the early 90's onwards, any early and i was to young to remember.

B: Kretiuk, Lake, Morris
HB: Smith, Croft, Cameron
C: Gilbee, West, Johnson
HF: Monty, Grant, Hudson
F: Kolyniuk, Del-re, Brown
R: Wynd, Libba, Cooney
INT: Darcy, Atkins, Boyd, Aker

FF was the hardest spot to pick, because i wanted a genuine player to fill it.

strebla
22-11-2009, 07:38 PM

No-one else has given him any love at all, I thought he was a wonderful player. Another one of our blokes cut down with injury, what would Mick Malthouse have given for a fit Mick Egan in 85?

A fit M Egan in that preliminary would not have allowed mathews to run riot in the last 10 minutes I don't believe i will EVER get over that

Twodogs
22-11-2009, 07:38 PM

I played cricket with Megan and years before that when I was a kid his #10 was on my dufflecoat. Most guys our age would have gone with Terry Wheeler in the BP but it was always going to be Micky in my team!

You are right about him being fit in '85. Matthews would never had got away fom him in the prelim like he did in the last quarter.

Before I Die
22-11-2009, 09:33 PM
My team dates from the mid 60s onwards with a bit of a gap in the 80s when sex, drugs, rock n roll and surfing dominated my interests. Not easy to pick this team as the game has changed so much over time. I will blame Alzheimer's for any glaring omissions.

HB: Kretiuk, Foster, Jillard
C: Hawkins, Wallis, Johnson
HF: Edmond, Templeton, Grant
F: Cooney, Beasley, Royal
R: Purser, Whitten, Bisset
I/C: Dunstan, Akermanis, Quinlan, Thorpe

Captain: Steve Wallis

Sockeye Salmon
23-11-2009, 08:04 AM
My team dates from the mid 60s onwards with a bit of a gap in the 80s when sex, drugs, rock n roll and surfing dominated my interests. Not easy to pick this team as the game has changed so much over time. I will blame Alzheimer's for any glaring omissions.

HB: Kretiuk, Foster, Jillard
C: Hawkins, Wallis, Johnson
HF: Edmond, Templeton, Grant
F: Cooney, Beasley, Royal
R: Purser, Whitten, Bisset
I/C: Dunstan, Akermanis, Quinlan, Thorpe

Captain: Steve Wallis

I'll remind you of one, Scott West.

As much as I love Aker, there is no plausible reason to include him ahead of Scooter.

The Pie Man
23-11-2009, 02:24 PM
At the end of the 2001 season Brad Johnson had played 167 games for our club. Even though his selection was 'speculative' he had shown enough in these games to justify his selection.

Personally I don't think Higgins has shown enough in his 52 games to gain selection in such a team, but in the end it's your call.

Having played 167 games to that point, the term speculative is possibly down-playing his contribution over that period...or even harsh - so good point.

Higgins is like a new record for me - if I got asked the same question at the end of 2006 Ryan Griffen probably would've got in my team...as like a new record, I'm just flogging it. Griffen's form during this years finals and Higgins for most of this year (outside of Cooney) indicate to me that they are the two best footballers I've seen come to the club for quite some time, so that personal opinion taints it somewhat

Good thread

1eyedog
23-11-2009, 03:57 PM
I'll take mine from 1979 when I collected my first full set of Scanlen's footy cards. Apparently I was taken to the Western Oval as a 16 month old in 1973 but I cannot remember the Dempsey's, Quinlan's et al of that era and the late 70s are scratchy. My first recollection was Templeton in 79 so he starts me off from then on.

FB: Hardie Kennedy Lake

HB: Smith Foster Wallis

C: Cameron West Hawkins

HF: Edmond Templeton Grant

FF: Royal Beasley Johnson

R: Wynd MacPherson McGuinness

I.C Atkins, Darcy, Brown, Liberatore

EME Jennings, Wallace, Cooney, Gilbee

Captain Wallis
Vice Captain Wynd

The Coon Dog
23-11-2009, 04:11 PM
I'll take mine from 1979 when I collected my first full set of Scanlen's footy cards. Apparently I was taken to the Western Oval as a 16 month old in 1973 but I cannot remember the Dempsey's, Quinlan's et al of that era and the late 70s are scratchy. My first recollection was Templeton in 79 so he starts me off from then on.

FB: Hardie Kennedy Lake

HB: Smith Foster Wallis

C: Cameron West Hawkins

HF: Edmond Templeton Grant

FF: Royal Beasley Johnson

R: Wynd MacPherson McGuinness

I.C Atkins, Darcy, Brown, Liberatore

EME Jennings, Wallace, Cooney, Gilbee

Captain Wallis
Vice Captain Wynd

Very similar to mine, only Darcy (Dempsey) & Atkins (Dunstan) differ.

1eyedog
23-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Very similar to mine, only Darcy (Dempsey) & Atkins (Dunstan) differ.

Yeah I actually went through your spreadsheet from 1979 onwards to get my team together. I looked at a few teams at the top of the thread but wanted to do one off my own bat and not be influenced by others. Your spreadsheet came in very handy.

It's funny, I don't actually think that the Axe was a better player for us than Cooney is now, but for a year or two there he was an absolute ball magnet. Dempsey was a champion, but I just never remember seeing him play (although I would have been at the Western Oval while he was playing). All the players I have listed are ones that I watched, remember and loved (except Brown who I never really liked but I thought he has been one of our best players over the past 10 years).

strebla
23-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Okay I have been putting this off as I know I will forget a lot of my favorites but here goes

BACKS :M Egan R Kennedy B Lake
CHB :N Cordy C Grant(c) L Gilbee
CENTRE : D Hawkins(vc) A Cooney M Mclean
CHF :R Murphy P Foster B Johnson
FWD :L Bamblett S Beasley B Royal
RUCKS :S Wynd T Liberatore S West
INTER :L Darcy S Wallis T Wallace N Brown
COACH :M Malthouse
okay now you can all bag me for leaving out your favorite player and see if you can guess mine

GVGjr
23-11-2009, 07:01 PM
MALTHOUSE:eek:

Great coach in my opinion.

strebla
23-11-2009, 07:03 PM
MALTHOUSE:eek:

Yeah I know I just thought he did a great job when was with us nearly went Rocket but think Mick has just shaded him :rolleyes:

Before I Die
23-11-2009, 10:43 PM
I'll remind you of one, Scott West.

As much as I love Aker, there is no plausible reason to include him ahead of Scooter.

I agree with the "no plausible reason" with regard to all time club greats. But with regard to a "best team" I think Aker brings something to the team which is otherwise missing, while Westy's role is covered by Wallis and the general ball winning ability of the older time players.

1eyedog
24-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I agree with the "no plausible reason" with regard to all time club greats. But with regard to a "best team" I think Aker brings something to the team which is otherwise missing, while Westy's role is covered by Wallis and the general ball winning ability of the older time players.

Sacrilege!

Mantis
24-11-2009, 10:05 AM

He only won 7 B+F's playing 'his' role.

I can't see how you could not have him in your team.

Twodogs
24-11-2009, 11:04 AM

Nup.

1/ Stupidly and immaturetully turned a minor situation where his most important player showed dissention into a situation wherby the player walked.

2/ delisted Michael McLean who went on to win two B&Fs at Brisbane

3/ Only took us to one finals series even though the club went broke buying him the players he wanted.

4/ Got blokes(and gave games to) players like Michael Rolfe pretty much on the basis they were mates at Richmond.

5/ Walked out on the club after he'd coached us to last place.

6/ since he has left us he coached WC to ony two premierships despite having the AFL handing them the most genorous of concesions. My grandmother would have coached WC to more flags in that period and she'd been dead for 10 years by the time Malthouse took over. Collingwood gets the easiest draw known to man each and every year so his record there is not much.

Malthouse is a dud.

The Coon Dog
24-11-2009, 11:06 AM
2/ delisted Michael McLean who went on to win two B&Fs at Brisbane

That was Terry Wheeler who did that.

comrade
24-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Malthouse is a dud.

Don't hold back next time, Twodogs. :D

Twodogs
24-11-2009, 01:08 PM
That was Terry Wheeler who did that.

Was it? Damn!

Well like Homer says "we could stand around trying to work out who did what or we could just blame that no-good Flanders*"

* Or Malthouse.

bornadog
24-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Yeah I know I just thought he did a great job when was with us nearly went Rocket but think Mick has just shaded him :rolleyes:

He may be a great coach now, but wasn't very good when he was learning with the Bulldogs.

Made soooo many tackle errors in the 1985 prelim and then in subsequent years, just defended, defended, defended and never let the team to go all out attack. Really, with the team we had should have made finals in 1986 to 1988.

In the bulldog years, I don't rate him at all.

The Doctor
24-11-2009, 08:48 PM
B: Hardie, Lake, Gilbee
HB: Wallis, Foster, Grant
HF: Edmond, Templeton, Johnson
F: Akermanis, Beasley, Royal
I: Quinlan, Wynd, McGuinness, Brown.

EMG: McLean, Darcy, Kennedy

Remi Moses
24-11-2009, 11:17 PM
He may be a great coach now, but wasn't very good when he was learning with the Bulldogs.

Made soooo many tackle errors in the 1985 prelim and then in subsequent years, just defended, defended, defended and never let the team to go all out attack. Really, with the team we had should have made finals in 1986 to 1988.

In the bulldog years, I don't rate him at all.

You have to be kidding!! That side in in the late 80's was bloody awful!! Gee names like Athorn,Fitzpatrick,Vilcens[spelling]Cullen. Malthouse did a top job when the club was in major financial poo and lost players after 85.

Remi Moses
24-11-2009, 11:32 PM
B: Egan Kennedy Lake
HB : Gilbee Foster Magic
C: Hawk, West Cameron
HF Whitten [Jnr] Granty Johnno
F: Royal Beasley KT

Ruck: Dempsey,Mocca Mcguiness

Inter: [warning,cast of thousands] Libba,Wynd,Wally,Jock,
Emerg: Crofty Hardie