PDA

View Full Version : What are the risks?

LostDoggy
19-11-2009, 11:42 AM
We have discussed where the improvements will come from. I think it is now timely to discuss what risks exist which might prevent us from reaching higher stakes next year.

Obviously, injuries to key players are a risk but they exist for all teams at all times of the year. What about the risks relating to the Bulldogs alone?

To start the ball rolling:

What if Hudson fails to come up this year? It's possible given his age and playing style. What can we do to minimise the impact of this?

LostDoggy
19-11-2009, 11:45 AM
It seems to be a low key preparation this year. Last year was the Arizona trip, and the sense of expectation. How do you continue to get the team up mentally each year?

The Coon Dog
19-11-2009, 11:53 AM
One risk is thinking that it will happen without working very hard to make it happen.

I honestly thought in 1986 we would win the flag after our year in 1985. We didn't even make the finals!

Just to get to where we were against St.Kilda is going to take 12 months worth of blood, sweat & tears, it just wont happen automatically.

w3design
19-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I think I'd have to agree with that TCD. Morris was talking about a 2 percent improvement being needed across the playing group to take the next step but I think if you saw a 2 percent drop in a proportion of the group we would struggle to make an impact next year. They can take nothing for granted next year.

I do think the club is making the right sounds and competition for places in the team should keep everyone on their toes. Davoren's second year with the team should help the boys consolidate some of their impressive fitness from last year.

Complacency would be the killer though.

Ozza
19-11-2009, 12:37 PM
We went ok for injuries last year compared to some other clubs. Touch wood we get through ok again. I know we had a few players miss games - but we didn't lose the hard to replace types often or for too long. Lets hope that most of our boys stay on the park.

TCD was talking about the let down of 1986 - I was only 3 years old then - but I know the Hawk did his knee that year - which would have been fairly telling in the scheme of things.

Mantis
19-11-2009, 12:43 PM
What if Hudson fails to come up this year? It's possible given his age and playing style. What can we do to minimise the impact of this?

Countering that Hudson is fairly new at the footy caper which could be beneficial to his durability. We have already seen that the club is hoping that Roughead can make big strides to help out with our rucking stocks.

If we lose one of our 2 main ruckman we could be in a bit of strife (like most clubs would be), but until we get to that situation we will not know how other players will cope.

Mofra
19-11-2009, 12:56 PM
I think a bigger risk is losing Lake for an extended period of time; Williams struggles to get his body right and this disjointed playing opportunity also stifles his development and form.

The other risk with Lake is traditionally his best years are contract years so expecting him to replicate last year's form may be a little much.

mighty_west
19-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Countering that Hudson is fairly new at the footy caper which could be beneficial to his durability. We have already seen that the club is hoping that Roughead can make big strides to help out with our rucking stocks.

If we lose one of our 2 main ruckman we could be in a bit of strife (like most clubs would be), but until we get to that situation we will not know how other players will cope.

If Hudson went down, obviously Minson would take up the number one position, with Barry up forward now, he won;t be as relied on to rest up forward, to be that big bloke to bash & crash, so that works in our favour somewhat.

Even though it was just one game, Everitt showed he can pitch hit as a more mobile ruck option, add giving Roughead some game time as well, obviously those two would more pitch hit than play a major role.

If both Minson & Huddo went down, well, would it be any different to 2006 and having alot of injuries to talls anyway?

mighty_west
19-11-2009, 01:06 PM
One of the big obvious risks is Barry Hall, his on field mind set etc, if he goes nuttah around finals time, it could derail our chances etc etc, but for mine, a bigger risk would not go after him, and go in again with a smaller forward line, we have seen in the finals pressured games, of having the midfield suffocated, and not having that big option when at times, you just have to bomb it long.

LostDoggy
19-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Murphy and Hahn are risks as they are key players and match winners but there is some doubt over consistency(particularly Mitch) and injuries(particularly Murph), Higgins is also becoming a very important player but had a lot of injuries all are important in the forward line. Of course Tom Williams, I really think we need backup for the tall defender. Tiller? Bouman?

Bumper Bulldogs
19-11-2009, 02:57 PM
The biggest risk is their "Ego's"

I think we can cover a few injuries but need to have the young guns coming hard to keep Hill ect on their toes.

LostDoggy
19-11-2009, 03:04 PM
i think age of the team is a risk. I would be loathe to write off any of the elder statesmen but there is a risk it could become an issue, say for instance if opposition teams can rebound off our forward line. Little evidence of this happening last year, but one year on who knows?

Mantis
19-11-2009, 03:18 PM
i think age of the team is a risk. I would be loathe to write off any of the elder statesmen but there is a risk it could become an issue, say for instance if opposition teams can rebound off our forward line. Little evidence of this happening last year, but one year on who knows?

Good point.

Aker, Hall & Johnson are all well into their 30's and with Murf, Hahn & Gia all 27+ we don't really have a young forwardline. Many of these aren't all that quick or great chasers so this is one area we will need to manage.

comrade
19-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Good point.

Aker, Hall & Johnson are all well into their 30's and with Murf, Hahn & Gia all 27+ we don't really have a young forwardline. Many of these aren't all that quick or great chasers so this is one area we will need to manage.

That’s why the demise of Malcolm Lynch has been so disappointing. His pace and ability to hunt down opposition defenders would’ve fit our game style perfectly.

w3design
19-11-2009, 03:54 PM
That’s why the demise of Malcolm Lynch has been so disappointing. His pace and ability to hunt down opposition defenders would’ve fit our game style perfectly.

It's interesting that Mal has been allowed to train with us. Outside chance of being rookied?

Mantis
19-11-2009, 04:14 PM

Stack & Harbrow (better suited elsewhere) would be the only 2 capable of filling that role at present. Hill in good form can also play that role, but from reports the only thing he is likely to chase at present is a bucket of KFC.

One would think that we would be looking for a nippy forward come draft day.

It's interesting that Mal has been allowed to train with us. Outside chance of being rookied?

You wouldn't think so considering he had been on the list for 3 years and hadn't really made improvements to his game when compared to someone like Harbrow.

w3design
19-11-2009, 04:59 PM
You're probably right. Bit of a shame really.

I don't really rate Josh Hill's forward pressure too highly and would prefer to see him off a wing if he can get his motor up and running in the preseason. I saw him as a good replacement for Eagle but if he can't get his fitness up then he obviously wouldn't be able to play that role.

I reckon Stack could play the defensive forward position as he has played off half back mostly and with a bit of continuity could make an impact.

Dry Rot
19-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Stack & Harbrow (better suited elsewhere) would be the only 2 capable of filling that role at present. Hill in good form can also play that role, but from reports the only thing he is likely to chase at present is a bucket of KFC.

He may not be real nippy, but I reckon Picken could be a handy forward. Has a great defensive side to his game (obviously) but also knows how to kick a goal.

Mofra
19-11-2009, 05:53 PM
He may not be real nippy, but I reckon Picken could be a handy forward. Has a great defensive side to his game (obviously) but also knows how to kick a goal.
Fair call, with someone like a Reid doing a negating job (did well on Bartel during the season).

I think it was the Collingwood game where Picken showed us he had the ability to be dangerous near goal.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Fair call, with someone like a Reid doing a negating job (did well on Bartel during the season).

I think it was the Collingwood game where Picken showed us he had the ability to be dangerous near goal.

Yep - Picken booted two huge 50m+ goals in the Friday Night game v Collingwood. I also remember him kicking two on Deledio in a game too.

I suspect he will be used as a swingman. HBF, midfield and across the half forward at times. He's got something to offer across all points depending on our opposition at the time.

boydogs
19-11-2009, 07:30 PM
I am worried about the age of our forwardline, with regards to speed as well as older players generally being more injury prone. I do not want to see Hill, Stack and Addison as our forward line again. Hill and Stack seem to be our developing midsized forwards, yet neither could finish the year in the 22. I think Ward, Cooney and Picken will be used up forward a bit if we are looking slow or get some injuries

Dancin' Douggy
19-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Why even start this post? Are we so damaged? We already have to start examining why we will fail?
I AM READY FOR GLORY. GLORY I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!

brilliantgriffen
19-11-2009, 10:26 PM
I just hope the team doesn't put too much pressure on itself at the pointy end of the season (I think we will be there) and focus too much on our potentiel retirees. I worry as individuals the boys might try to do too much and overplay things. Although, I do have a lot of faith in Rocket and the coaching staff. I coundn't handle another disappointment! BTW Dancin' Dougy, I agree- I think we are all ready and next year must be our year!

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-11-2009, 04:05 PM
I just hope the team doesn't put too much pressure on itself at the pointy end of the season (I think we will be there) and focus too much on our potentiel retirees. I worry as individuals the boys might try to do too much and overplay things. Although, I do have a lot of faith in Rocket and the coaching staff. I coundn't handle another disappointment! BTW Dancin' Dougy, I agree- I think we are all ready and next year must be our year!

Major concern as I see it is having to play 5 over 30 year olds and somewhat short thinking towards 2010 rather than looking at the next 3-5 years for continued success.
The selection in the draft of Barry Hall whilst I agree with it, is still problematical as to whether it will make the ultimate difference. We need big seasons from both Cooney and Griffen, the class of Higgins to prevail and an injury free season for Robert Murphy.

1eyedog
23-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Yep - Picken booted two huge 50m+ goals in the Friday Night game v Collingwood. I also remember him kicking two on Deledio in a game too.
I suspect he will be used as a swingman. HBF, midfield and across the half forward at times. He's got something to offer across all points depending on our opposition at the time.

Only because both Collingwood and Richmond did not pay him any respect. I don't think Picken is suited deep forward unless we really need to apply defensive pressure there. If Aker, Hall and Hahn are forward it will come from there. Picken is too valuable in the midfield, he has proven that he is capable of negating the opposition's best player (Deledio and Harvey for instance last season) and I think this ability far outweighs the benefit of him playing forward.

I'd have Harbow in a forward pocket and move Griffen back to a HBF to cover for the loss of run.

Our main concern next year is whether Cooney can be fully fit and get through a season and whether Griffen can take the next step. These are our two game breakers and our premiership chances hinge on their seasons.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Only because both Collingwood and Richmond did not pay him any respect. I don't think Picken is suited deep forward unless we really need to apply defensive pressure there. If Aker, Hall and Hahn are forward it will come from there. Picken is too valuable in the midfield, he has proven that he is capable of negating the opposition's best player (Deledio and Harvey for instance last season) and I think this ability far outweighs the benefit of him playing forward.

I'd have Harbow in a forward pocket and move Griffen back to a HBF to cover for the loss of run.

Our main concern next year is whether Cooney can be fully fit and get through a season and whether Griffen can take the next step. These are our two game breakers and our premiership chances hinge on their seasons.

Against Richmond, Deledio didn't pay him too much respect but he can't deal with hard taggers in the first place. In both games v Tigers, Picken really did give Deledio a bath. Against Collingwood - he made his own luck. The first one he ran forward, the second one he made a good tackle, picked up the ball and hammered it home. There's going to be times when Picken isn't doing too well in the midfield so the fact that he can offer something up forward is a bonus. We don't have a defensive forward either - and he can play this role as you said.

Agree re Cooney and Griff, but if we want a Premiership and Griff to take the next step, he has to play in the middle. Geelong has Ablett/Selwood, St. Kilda Hayes/Dal Santo etc. There's no doubting Cooney and Griffen are our most influencing midfielders when they are in form. For mine - it's pivotal these two are fit and in form, bursting out of the midfield in September of 2010. Honestly believe their partnership could be what is the difference in winning/losing a Grand Final. Griff was brilliant v St. Kilda in the Prelim - if he executed better he could have finished with 2 or 3 goals, and we'd have played Geelong in the GF.

1eyedog
24-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Agree with all of this but I'm worried about Griffen in the middle. But as you say for Griffen to step up he needs to play there. This is where he will be judged as a player in the future. But is he ready?

Studentlib
24-11-2009, 10:15 AM
One challenge will be to deal with the expectation of the ultimate success that supporters, the media the club and players have placed on the team. I can't remember a season in 45 years when such widely and strongly held belief existed. The media storm has already started and Rielly's article in the Australian today with its snide last paragraph and use of the word "desperation" in the opening, just hints at what is to come. The rich and not so successful clubs hate smaller/poorer clubs once they become successful. There won't be any flying under the radar in 2010. I hope everyone at the club can cope with the criticisms and the applause in a level headed way and maintains focus on the last game of the year, Go Dogs!

alwaysadog
25-11-2009, 12:13 AM
One challenge will be to deal with the expectation of the ultimate success that supporters, the media the club and players have placed on the team. I can't remember a season in 45 years when such widely and strongly held belief existed. The media storm has already started and Rielly's article in the Australian today with its snide last paragraph and use of the word "desperation" in the opening, just hints at what is to come. The rich and not so successful clubs hate smaller/poorer clubs once they become successful. There won't be any flying under the radar in 2010. I hope everyone at the club can cope with the criticisms and the applause in a level headed way and maintains focus on the last game of the year, Go Dogs!

Very useful Studentlib to point out that not all our enemies will be on the field of play.