PDA

View Full Version : We are Trying an Irishman - Aidan Arrives

bornadog
25-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Aidan Arrives (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/87421/default.aspx)

David McNamara
3:12 PM Tue 24 November, 2009

19 year old Aidan O'Shea begins a two week trial at the Kennel

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Irish246a.jpg

The Western Bulldogs may have discovered the AFL’s latest Irish recruit, with 19 year old Aidan O’Shea beginning a two week trial at the Club today.

O’Shea only arrived in Australia last night but that did not stop him from jumping straight into a gruelling pre-season training session, despite the jet lag.

And the Club has not been taking it easy on O’Shea, one of his first duties this morning was to work the punching bags with new recruit Barry Hall.

O’Shea who plays gaelic football with County Mayo, will be living with Bulldogs ruckman Will Minson during his stay in Melbourne and says he is really impressed with the setup at the Whitten Oval.

“The players here are top class and the facilities are brilliant. The first morning was a bit tough but I definitely enjoyed it,” O’Shea said.

O’Shea says he has been playing close attention to the AFL back home and was relishing the opportunity to train with some of the game’s biggest stars like Captain Brad Johnson and Jason Akermanis.

He admits that the rigorous fitness regime may take some getting used to but that the physical side of AFL football was enticing.

“It’s a much longer game, four quarters and the games go for about two hours. So it is not only the endurance but learning the skills of the game with the new ball. So there are a few differences I suppose, but you can definitely be a bit more rough in the tackle, so there are pros and cons,” O’Shea said.

Scraggers
25-11-2009, 01:34 AM
The luck of the Irish to ya lad ... to be sure, to be sure, to be sure

Go_Dogs
25-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Looks like a fairly solid unit.

I must have completely missed this, because this is the first I've heard about it. I'm guessing we have added him as an international rookie?

Mofra
25-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Great news to hear he's not one of the b@stards from County Kerry. He's allowed to play with us now.

Mantis
25-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Looks like a fairly solid unit.

I must have completely missed this, because this is the first I've heard about it. I'm guessing we have added him as an international rookie?

I am reasonably sure he is just out here on a trial basis at present.

1eyedog
25-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Looks well over 6'3

SquirrelGrip
25-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Here's some info about him from Ireland:

http://gaelicrising.eircom.net/News/Rising-Son-Aidan-OShea.aspx

http://www.firedup.gaa.ie/interview_aidanoshea.html

Ozza
25-11-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm completely sick of seeing Irishmen, Canadians, Americans...whoever - that are decent athletes given a chance to play AFL footy when they've never kicked a footy (in anger) before.

I know we're just 'trialling' him - but the international fad as a whole is annoying me. Would much rather be recruiting a footballer - out of one of the State leagues or Under 18 Competitions.

G-Mo77
25-11-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm completely sick of seeing Irishmen, Canadians, Americans...whoever - that are decent athletes given a chance to play AFL footy when they've never kicked a footy (in anger) before.

I know we're just 'trialling' him - but the international fad as a whole is annoying me. Would much rather be recruiting a footballer - out of one of the State leagues or Under 18 Competitions.

Or deep in Northern Territory leagues.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-11-2009, 05:57 PM

My thoughts too.

At least the Irishman is a step up from trying to pluck a player out of Fiji. If that wasn't the biggest waste of money, I don't know what is.

As you say - if we concentrated on developing and coaching our own, we'd find more players in and around the state leagues.

LostDoggy
25-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Great news to hear he's not one of the b@stards from County Kerry. He's allowed to play with us now.

What would your response be if he had been from County Sligo?

LostDoggy
25-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Sounds like he has played for the Irish equivalent to the dogs:(

Looks a likely type though.

LostDoggy
25-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Sounds like he has played for the Irish equivalent to the dogs:(

Looks a likely type though.

Has a bit of ticker too playing with a broken thumb.

LostDoggy
25-11-2009, 08:07 PM

From Kerry stock on both his mothers and fathers side. Go figure.