03-12-2009, 01:54 PM
B: Harbrow Lake Gilbee
HB: Hargrave Williams Morris
C: Griffen Cross Higgins
HF: Hahn Murphy Hill
F: Johnson Hall Aker

Ruck/Foll: Hudson Boyd Cooney

INT: Guido, Minson, Ward, Eagleton

Williams will have Everitt, Tiller, Addison and Callan breathing down his neck if he gets injured or is in poor form. Morris filled the CHB position while Williams was injured and can do so again.

Ozza
03-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Fairly similar - but Picken would be in mine.

B: Harbrow; Lake; Morris
HB: Hargrave; Williams: Gilbee
C: Picken; Boyd; Cross
HF: Higgins; Murphy; Johnson
F: Hahn; Hall; Akermanis
R: Hudson; Cooney; Griffen
Int: Giansiracusa; Ward; Eagleton; Minson
Emerg: Hill; Everitt; Callan.

mighty_west
03-12-2009, 02:21 PM
B: Harbrow Lake Gilbee
HB: Hargrave Williams Morris
C: Griffen Cross Higgins
HF: Hahn Murphy Hill

Ruck/Foll: Hudson Boyd Cooney

INT: Guido, Minson, Ward, Eagleton

Williams will have Everitt, Tiller, Addison and Callan breathing down his neck if he gets injured or is in poor form. Morris filled the CHB position while Williams was injured and can do so again.

That looks like our most experienced team on paper, although so many variables will most likely come into play come round one, like pre season form, injuries, players underdone with a lack of pre season etc etc.

From that side, Hill & Eagleton look most vunerable for different reasons, with those players you mentioned next in line, will be interesting to see how Marcovic & Throne go in the pre season games coming into the club as ready made mature types.

No love for Picken, Dex? thats a bit harsh.

LostDoggy
03-12-2009, 02:35 PM
I forgot :(

I nearly forgot Hill and Morris!!!!

Twodogs
03-12-2009, 02:36 PM
No love for Picken, Dex? thats a bit harsh.

That's what my first impression is as well. Pick Picken I say!

I'll put my side up a bit later. Or I'll just cut and paste Sockeye's team if he gets to it before me...:p

The Pie Man
03-12-2009, 02:42 PM
B: Harbrow Lake Callan
HB: Hargrave Morris Gilbee
C: Griffen Boyd Eagleton
HF: Hahn Murphy Higgins

Ruck/Foll: Hudson Cross Cooney

INT: Minson, Ward, Gia, Picken

Not convinced Williams (who I am a big fan of) will be there - only change from the prelim side for me is Hall for the retired Welsh.

mighty_west
03-12-2009, 02:46 PM

We can understand your mind playing a few games after the weekend you just had. :p

LostDoggy
03-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Why whatever could you mean?;)

Twodogs
03-12-2009, 03:11 PM

Hill is no certainty to be in the R1 side next year. He finished the year out of the 22 and if the reports of his current conditioning are right he might be even further away from a spot in the team now than he was then. Thorne may train the house down and take his spot.

Dry Rot
03-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Interesting that everybody is picking Hall out of position (vs his career to date).

Is it because the Swans got it wrong or because we don't have an alternative FF?

IIRC, last season when the wheels fell off us eg v West Coast things broke down on the HF line. Leaving Hall at FF means we miss on the benefits of his pretty good mobility.

Mofra
03-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Interesting that everybody is picking Hall out of position (vs his career to date).

Is it because the Swans got it wrong or because we don't have an alternative FF?

IIRC, last season when the wheels fell off us eg v West Coast things broke down on the HF line. Leaving Hall at FF means we miss on the benefits of his pretty good mobility.
Maybe because CHF doesn't really exist anymore?

I take your point though - Hall did his best work leading up the ground, however he may be forced a little closer to goal which will work better with our set-up

Ozza
03-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't really agree that Hall has been a CHF. Certainly not the last few years. Full forwards get much further up the ground these days.

Put it this way. Hall has always lined up inside the 50 - not on the line of the square. Murphy will almost certainly continue to play that role and Hall will certainly be deep. I don't think there is any doubt about that. Hall didn't kick over 70 goals three years in a row from taking marks on the wing.

Swoop
03-12-2009, 05:42 PM
The way our forward line sets up means all players will need to be adaptable and be able to move around based on matchups etc so I wouldn't read too much into the named team sheets. I believe at different stages Eade won't be afraid to use Hall further up the field if it means dragging someone like Scarlett or Rutten away from full back alternatively if he has a favourable match up he won't be afraid putting him in the goalsquare.

I think when Hall was playing at this best he actually played a role which I would consider a cross between CHF & FF, O'Loughlin would own the immediate 30 metres in front of goal and Hall would patrol the area outside of that including pushing up to the wings and working twice as hard back to goals.

I still would expect to see Murphy roaming across half forward and I also expect to see Johnno continue to push further up the ground in a role similar to the one Richo has been playing the past few years - wing/forward (I know I know wing is no longer a position).

Bulldog4life
03-12-2009, 06:04 PM
I don't really agree that Hall has been a CHF. Certainly not the last few years. Full forwards get much further up the ground these days.

Put it this way. Hall has always lined up inside the 50 - not on the line of the square. Murphy will almost certainly continue to play that role and Hall will certainly be deep. I don't think there is any doubt about that. Hall didn't kick over 70 goals three years in a row from taking marks on the wing.

I might be wrong but sometime ago I think I read that the SCG 50 metre arcs were really 45 metre arcs because of the shortness of the ground which is a fraction under 150 metres in length. If true this would even make Hall lining up closer to goal that what it appears to be.

chef
03-12-2009, 06:17 PM
B- Dale Morris - Brian Lake - Lindsay Gilbee
HB- Jarrod Harbrow - Tom Williams - Ryan Hargrave
C- Nathan Eagleton - Daniel Cross - Ryan Griffen
HF- Brad Johnson - Robert Murphy - Shaun Higgins
F-Jason Akermanis - Barry Hall - Mitch Hahn
Foll- Ben Hudson - Matthew Boyd - Adam Cooney
Int- Will Minson - Daniel Giansiracusa - Callan Ward - Liam Picken

This is mine.

comrade
03-12-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm suprised by the lack of Boumann.

chef
03-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm suprised by the lack of Boumann.

We are all saving him for the finals, the opposition won't know what hit them;)

ratsmac
03-12-2009, 07:49 PM
B: Morris - Lake - Harbrow
HB: Griffen - Williams - Hargrave
C: Gilbee - Boyd - Ward
HF: Johnson - Murphy - Higgins
F: Minson - Hall - Hahn
FOLL: Hudson - Cooney - Cross

INT: Gia; Picken; Aker; Eagleton

EMG: Hill; Everitt; Reid (if he is fit, if not Callan).

This would be an intimadating forward line, with higgins and Johnno hitting the packs for the loose ball, and I like griff at half back running the lines.

mighty_west
03-12-2009, 08:31 PM

If we want to get really technical, his position is actually probably in between full forward & CHF, a bit like Tredrea, where's they both lead up the ground just like a true CHF would do, but also play alot closer to goal as well.

When the Dogs have played against Hall, Lake takes him, and Lake is regarded more as a Full Back rather than CHF in the true sense, and in todays games, real positions don't mean a hell of a lot with th amount of position changes anyway.

I would have thought when naming the side on paper, most people would have had Hall at Sydney jotted down in the FF position rather than CHF, with Micky O more a flanker / FP, Nick Davis in a pocket in the peak of their powers.

Swoop
03-12-2009, 11:03 PM
My two cents;

B: Morris Lake Harbrow
HB: Gilbee Williams Hargrave
C: Griffen Cross Picken
HF: Murphy Hahn Johnson
F: Akermanis Hall Higgins
R: Hudson Boyd Cooney
INT: Minson, Giansiracusa, Ward, Eagleton
EMG: Everitt, Hill, Reid

Best 22 is rarely on the park so depth will be critical, interesting to note the 3 emergencies could be anything but it's up to them. Hopefully by the end of the year they will have turned a corner and forced someone in the best 22 out. Certainly would be a good headache to have.

LostDoggy
03-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Morris - Lake - Harbrow
Hargrave - Williams - Gilbee
Higgins - Boyd - Cross
Murphy - Everitt - Ward
Akermanis - Hall - Johnson

Hudson - Griffen - Cooney

Int: Minson - Picken - Eagleton - Giansiracusa

Emg: Hill - Addison - Hahn - Stack - Reid - Wood - Tiller - Callan

I cant seem to fit Mitch in!

GVGjr
03-12-2009, 11:32 PM
I'll have a look at adding a side later but I'm surprised that Hill isn't getting a better go of it. Sure he fell away at the end of the season and hasn't had the best off season but for a guy that was played out of position I think he is still a great option for us.

Bulldog Joe
04-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Morris - Lake - Harbrow
Hargrave - Williams - Gilbee
Higgins - Boyd - Cross
Murphy - Everitt - Ward
Akermanis - Hall - Johnson

Hudson - Griffen - Cooney

Int: Minson - Picken - Eagleton - Giansiracusa

Emg: Hill - Addison - Hahn - Stack - Reid - Wood - Tiller - Callan

I cant seem to fit Mitch in!

I can't believe you could put Everitt in such a key position. if by some miracle he warrants that at round 1 I will be amazed.

Scorlibo
04-12-2009, 12:42 AM
B - Morris - Lake - Harbrow
HB - Hargrave - Williams - Gilbee
C - Cross - Cooney - Boyd
HF - Giansiracusa - Murphy - Johnson
F - Akermanis - Hall - Hahn
I - Eagleton - Picken - Ward - Minson
E - Wood - Hill - Thorne

The Bulldogs Bite
04-12-2009, 12:51 AM
I'll have a look at adding a side later but I'm surprised that Hill isn't getting a better go of it. Sure he fell away at the end of the season and hasn't had the best off season but for a guy that was played out of position I think he is still a great option for us.

Agreed, but I think posters are probably basing their sides around the condition Hill has returned in. He's got plenty of time to turn it around but his attitude isn't where it needs to be.

I'll add one later too but I think Hill should be played on a wing.

LostDoggy
04-12-2009, 06:57 AM
E - Wood - Hill - Thorne

No Higgins

LostDoggy
04-12-2009, 09:21 AM
E - Wood - Hill - Thorne

No Higgins

No ruck?

LostDoggy
04-12-2009, 09:28 AM
B: Harbrow; Lake; Morris
HB: Hargrave; Williams: Gilbee
C:Ward; Boyd; Griffen
HF: Higgins; Murphy; Johnson
F: Hahn; Hall; Akermanis
R: Hudson; Cooney; Cross
Int: Giansiracusa; Picken; Everitt ; Minson
Emerg: Hill; Eagleton; Wood; Callan Addison

Damn I like those lines. Good depth with some unlucky proven performers on the emergency list. Need to add a Bouman or similar as depth for Williams.

Go_Dogs
04-12-2009, 09:39 AM
B: Harbrow, Lake, Morris
HB: Hargrave, Williams, Gilbee
C: Higgins, Boyd, Cross
HF: Murphy, Hall, Ward
F: Hill/Hahn, Johnson, Akermanis
R: Hudson, Griffen, Cooney
B: Giansiracusa, Eagleton, Picken, Minson.

I really feel for the selection committee this year, it's going to be a tough gig.

stefoid
04-12-2009, 12:32 PM
caveats:

I want Hill to be really fit so he can cover a lot of ground.
I want Hahn to be uninjured so he can be at his best. We have enough forward options that we dont need to play him half fit
I want Picken to improve his ability to win the ball.

harbrow lake morris
hargs williams gilbs
higgins cross griff
johno murph hill
aker hall hahn

hudson cooney boyd

int: minson, guido, picken, ward

damn, that is a strong team.

competition:

hill: everitt, eagle
hahn: everitt, grant
picken: reid, eagle
williams: marko

hmm, now I know why I am very glad to retain everitt. Fantastic utility and I could see him being able to slot in on any flank but I favour him in the forward half due to his ability to kick a long running goal.

could be everitts year, remember gilbee wanted to be traded when eade first came to the club?

Scorlibo
04-12-2009, 02:19 PM
E - Wood - Hill - Thorne

Foll - Hudson - Griffen - Higgins

Ha ha it was late..?

Bulldog Joe
04-12-2009, 03:56 PM
I have looked at sides that are being posted and just cannot see how we could fit every deserving player in.

The fitness of players will be paramount and we should not go into round one with any player who is underdone.

This puts some doubt around post season surgery recipients Cross and Murphy who would normally be automatic selections.

From the prelim side I would expect Williams to replace Callan and Hall to replace Welsh, but there are plenty of other options.

Reid and Wood showed enough in 2009 to be considered possibilities although they have both had post season surgery.

Callan and Addison stay under notice as hard at it defenders.

Everitt is obviously expecting to prove his worth. Josh Hill was a regular until the second final.

That gives 27 players and I rate all of them ahead of some that Brisbane in particular traded in.

There might also be someone from the rest of the list that put in a pre-season demanding selection as Hill did in 2008.

If one or two of Stack, Grant, Boumann, Cordy, Roughead, Jones make the transition to senior standard we are looking very good indeed. There is also the suggestion that Makovic and Thorne could be ready to go.

WOW.

LostDoggy
04-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Does anyone agree that, baring injury, Mitch Hahn will really struggle to hold a spot this season. One thought that crossed my mind was a total change of position for him:

CHB;

Per last seasons height & weight: 188cm's & 99 kilos.
Strong as a bull. Great mark. 2nds efforts. Admittedly i can't remember a time when he's played there, but Harbs hadn't played a great deal from the backline before last season also.

Cover for Tommy if he gets injured and if Markovic isn't ready.

Hot_Doggies
04-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Does anyone agree that, baring injury, Mitch Hahn will really struggle to hold a spot this season. One thought that crossed my mind was a total change of position for him:

CHB;

Strong as a bull. Great mark. 2nds efforts. Admittedly i can't remember a time when he's played there, but Harbs hadn't played a great deal from the backline before last season also.

Doesn't have the height, speed or the endurance to play CHB.

I also think he will struggle to hold a spot in the forward line, but i don't have a problem with Mitch spending time at Williamstwon. We need to blood a few younger types.

Bulldog Joe
04-12-2009, 05:54 PM

CHB;

Mitch has a fantastic record on lesser defenders. With Hall in the side he is likely to get a lesser opponent regularly. Could make him very dangerous as he generally outmuscles those smaller defenders.

LostDoggy
04-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Mitch has a fantastic record on lesser defenders. With Hall in the side he is likely to get a lesser opponent regularly. Could make him very dangerous as he generally outmuscles those smaller defenders.
Couldn't agree more, Big Bad Barry will make a lot of players better, as they will not attract the premium defender.

stefoid
04-12-2009, 09:34 PM

CHB;

I think he was injured a fair bit last year. Can do better, surely.

As for CHB, he is too slow and not so agile. His opponent would loose him too easilly.

Swoop
04-12-2009, 09:38 PM
If you add Barry Hall to the side and combine him with an up and running Robert Murphy than not only will Hahn relish more freedom in 2010, I also believe Johnson & Hill will enjoy slipping down the ranks and combined they will provide opposition plenty of match-up problems.

LostDoggy
05-12-2009, 08:30 PM
These teams are simply mouth-watering.
Deffinatly capable of winning a premiership I say!

The Doctor
06-12-2009, 10:13 AM
B: Morris, Lake, Hargrave
HB: Harbrow, Williams, Gilbee
C: Ward, Boyd, Griffen
HF: Higgins, Johnson, Akermanis
F: Murphy, Hall, Giansiracusa
R: Hudson, Picken, Cooney

Int: Cross, Everitt, Minson, Wood

EMG: Eagleton, Hahn, Hill

GVGjr
06-12-2009, 10:21 AM

Doc, A few surprises there.
Would Murphy be better suited to CHF than Johnson?
Is the choice of Picken over Cross due do Cross's kicking?
Wood is very much the bolter so I'd be interested in your thoughts there?

Sockeye Salmon
06-12-2009, 10:25 AM

Except for a few minor, pedantic positional changes that was my side as well.

They were my three emergencies, too; of course it is highly likely that we will have at least 3 injuries every week so they'll probably all play most games.

The Doctor
06-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Doc, A few surprises there.
Would Murphy be better suited to CHF than Johnson?
Is the choice of Picken over Cross due do Cross's kicking?
Wood is very much the bolter so I'd be interested in your thoughts there?

I wanted to keep Johnno and Hall a little apart. I can see Johnno getting in the way of a few Hall leads. In any case I would interchange Johnno and Murphy across half forward, probably Hall too.

I think Crossy is being caught and even surpassed by some of the others and his reluctance to kick must be frustrating for the coaches. It certainly drives me bonkers when he handballs back into congestion rather than kick. Ward & Higgo have caught up and have better skills. Picken brings something different with his tagging. So Crossy on the bench for me.

I chose Wood ahead of the others because I think he can really play and it's time to inject some youthful dash into the side. I love how he takes the game on. Otherwise we are bit Dads Army.

GVGjr
06-12-2009, 08:11 PM
I wanted to keep Johnno and Hall a little apart. I can see Johnno getting in the way of a few Hall leads. In any case I would interchange Johnno and Murphy across half forward, probably Hall too.

I thought that might be the reason but Murphy doesn't strike me as being an effective player close to goal. I actually think Murphy might pass the ball to Hall a bit better than Johnson as well.

I think Crossy is being caught and even surpassed by some of the others and his reluctance to kick must be frustrating for the coaches. It certainly drives me bonkers when he handballs back into congestion rather than kick. Ward & Higgo have caught up and have better skills. Picken brings something different with his tagging. So Crossy on the bench for me.

The thing that troubles me about Cross mainly being used off the bench is that he isn't a burst player like Giansiracusa is and I think his game would drop off a fair bit with reduced minutes. I agree that his reluctance to kick can be frustrating but it's hard to know how to best use him. It's probably a critical decision for Eade to make next year. Cross is predicable and consistent and coaches love that but does he have the game that will hurt good sides?

I chose Wood ahead of the others because I think he can really play and it's time to inject some youthful dash into the side. I love how he takes the game on. Otherwise we are bit Dads Army.

It's exactly why I would try and keep Hill in the side. Wood's decision making and skills still need some work but I get the feeling that it will all click for him next season.

Mantis
06-12-2009, 08:20 PM

I think we saw late in the year (especially our last 2 games) how Cross will be used over the coming years. With others passing him as mentioned in terms of ball winning ability and superior foot skills Cross should become our 'inside tagger' picking up players such as Hayes, Black and Mitchell to name a few.

dog town
06-12-2009, 08:46 PM
I thought that might be the reason but Murphy doesn't strike me as being an effective player close to goal. I actually think Murphy might pass the ball to Hall a bit better than Johnson as well.

Murphy played deeper in some of Eade's earlier seasons to great effect so I dont think whether or not he can do it is the issue. For me the issue is that we dont have anyone who can play Murphy's current role as well as he can. The game has changed and Johnson cant play that role as well as he did under Wallace and I feel is still our best hit up option across half forward.

The thing that troubles me about Cross mainly being used off the bench is that he isn't a burst player like Giansiracusa is and I think his game would drop off a fair bit with reduced minutes. I agree that his reluctance to kick can be frustrating but it's hard to know how to best use him. It's probably a critical decision for Eade to make next year. Cross is predicable and consistent and coaches love that but does he have the game that will hurt good sides?

Cross has been harshly judged in my view. He did some very good jobs this year and his leadership alone is worth a spot in the 18. I certainly would not be relegating him to a bit part role at this stage. To come back from the ankle problems he had and still impact the finals was a great effort. It might all sound a bit old school and I realise he needs to actually have an impact and hurt the other side but his courage is pretty much unmatched in the competition. I dont think you dispense with guys like that.

I think young Wood has the ability but he has to earn his stripes. The players he has to get past will fight tooth and nail for their positions so he will need to do more than flash in and out to dislodge them.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-12-2009, 09:12 PM
HF: Higgins, Murphy, Johnson
F: Akermanis, Hall, Giansiracusa

Int: Cross, Everitt, Minson, Hill

EMG: Eagleton, Hahn, Wood

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Very similar to Doc's. Few changes include:

* Murphy to CHF, Johnson to HF, Akermanis to FP. If Murphy's knee is OK we really need him presenting at the ball. He makes space not only for himself but the other forwards. As others have noted, nobody else comes close to playing this role as well as Murph. Johnson has been/will still play as a hard working HF who pushes up the ground. I prefer him deep because his disposal isn't great and he isn't clean below his knees, but Eade has spoken about Johnno continuing to push up the ground. Aker will play a little closer to goal for mine in his last year.

* Wood as an emergencey, Hill on the bench. I think Wood will play quite a few games next year but Hill is still ahead of him at this stage. Providing he turns his body around, he's an important component of this side. Really want to see him playing predominately on the wing in 2010 with stints in the forward half. Not sure we'll have Everitt/Wood in the same side as they offer the same role(s) despite the height difference.

Agree with Doc about Cross, Eagleton and Hahn. FWIW I think both Eagle/Hahn will play in Round 1 as they've been some of Rocket's favourites over the past few seasons. They'll probably be given the first chance at cementing spots over the younger players.

Depending on fitness, Reid is in my best 22 too. Suspect he'll become a regular once he gets some fitness back in the reserves.

BRING IT ON
06-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Just a little different

B .Harbrow , Lake, Morris
HB .Gilbee, Williams, Hargrave
C .Cooney, Cross, Griffin
HF .Murphy, Hahn, Johnson
F .Hill, Hall, Akermanis
R .Hudson, Picken , Boyd

Int .Minson, Ward , Higgins , Eagleton

Emg .Giansiracusa, Everitt , Markovic

Mantis
06-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Just a little different

F .Hill, Hall, Akermanis

Because we are not playing a ruck division??

BRING IT ON
06-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Just a little different

F .Hill, Hall, Akermanis
R .Hudson, Picken , Boyd

Ha :D I cant believe I left that out !

Twodogs
06-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Just a little different.

Because we are not playing a ruck division??

Ha :D I cant believe I left that out !

Didnt Matthew Knights have the same brillant idea in a final this year?

Bulldog Joe
07-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Just a little different

F .Hill, Hall, Akermanis
R .Hudson, Picken , Boyd

Sorry, but there is ABSOLUTELY no way Gia misses the 22 if fit. The best set up player on the list.

stefoid
07-12-2009, 11:34 AM
I think we saw late in the year (especially our last 2 games) how Cross will be used over the coming years. With others passing him as mentioned in terms of ball winning ability and superior foot skills Cross should become our 'inside tagger' picking up players such as Hayes, Black and Mitchell to name a few.

Lets not forget Crossy was playing on two busted ankles last year.

I reckon we will see a fair bit of improvement over last year from him.

Swoop
07-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Watching Gia run around on Saturday made me realise that he is possibly a forgotten man. No doubt the outside perception of him is very different from internally but he has always been rated very highly from within and polled well in our best & fairest counts despite missing games through injury. He has also been one of the top assist players in the whole competition going back for the past 5 years which is no mean feat.

He will still be a strong contributer next season, don't forget he returned from a lengthy lay off last year to play the back end of the season and while his form & fitness weren't at an ideal level I believe a strong preseason will bring him right back to the level he has performed at previously

chef
07-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Sorry, but there is ABSOLUTELY no way Gia misses the 22 if fit. The best set up player on the list.

2nd that.

bornadog
07-12-2009, 01:35 PM
HF: Higgins, Murphy, Johnson
F: Akermanis, Hall, Giansiracusa

Int: Cross, Everitt, Minson, Hill

EMG: Eagleton, Hahn, Wood

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Very similar to Doc's. Few changes include:

* Murphy to CHF, Johnson to HF, Akermanis to FP. If Murphy's knee is OK we really need him presenting at the ball. He makes space not only for himself but the other forwards. As others have noted, nobody else comes close to playing this role as well as Murph. Johnson has been/will still play as a hard working HF who pushes up the ground. I prefer him deep because his disposal isn't great and he isn't clean below his knees, but Eade has spoken about Johnno continuing to push up the ground. Aker will play a little closer to goal for mine in his last year.

* Wood as an emergencey, Hill on the bench. I think Wood will play quite a few games next year but Hill is still ahead of him at this stage. Providing he turns his body around, he's an important component of this side. Really want to see him playing predominately on the wing in 2010 with stints in the forward half. Not sure we'll have Everitt/Wood in the same side as they offer the same role(s) despite the height difference.

Agree with Doc about Cross, Eagleton and Hahn. FWIW I think both Eagle/Hahn will play in Round 1 as they've been some of Rocket's favourites over the past few seasons. They'll probably be given the first chance at cementing spots over the younger players.

Depending on fitness, Reid is in my best 22 too. Suspect he'll become a regular once he gets some fitness back in the reserves.

I doubt Everitt will be in before Hahn for the first part of the season.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-12-2009, 03:44 PM

It's exactly why I would try and keep Hill in the side. Wood's decision making and skills still need some work but I get the feeling that it will all click for him next season.

I am somewhat surprised by the references to Daniel Cross. Cross is still by far our best player in getting the ball out of packs. A bit like Scott West in that regard. In the heat of the battle it is Cross, who you would want to throw into combat. Cross's endurance factor is terrific. Still as hard at the ball in a tight final quarter as at the beginning of games.
His renowned lack of kicking power is compensated by his insatiable attack on the ball.
Callen Ward and Liam Picken have similar ingredients with Cross setting a fine example.

Mantis
07-12-2009, 04:23 PM
I am somewhat surprised by the references to Daniel Cross. Cross is still by far our best player in getting the ball out of packs. A bit like Scott West in that regard. In the heat of the battle it is Cross, who you would want to throw into combat. Cross's endurance factor is terrific. Still as hard at the ball in a tight final quarter as at the beginning of games.
His renowned lack of kicking power is compensated by his insatiable attack on the ball.
Callen Ward and Liam Picken have similar ingredients with Cross setting a fine example.

Do you have any stats such as clearance numbers to help back up this statement?

Go_Dogs
07-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Do you have any stats such as clearance numbers to help back up this statement?

I don't have the end of season stats, but I do have them up until the game against Geelong in late August.

Boyd - 20 matches, averaging 5.8 clearances.
Cooney - 18 matches, averaging 4.7 clearances.
Cross - 19 matches, averaging 3.6 clearances.
Griffen - 19 matches, averaging 3.3 clearances.

Ward and Reid are our other statistically good clearance players. I think all of the above have a better quality of clearance to Crossy also, but I have no stats or evidence to back this up, just my general feel that others can either create the space themselves through acceleration, or are better adapt at putting someone else in space with quick hands.

Crossy's hands are certainly not as good as Westy's were, but Westy's hands were just about the best ever.

* Disclaimer: I'm certainly not trying to bag out Crossy here, because I love him. Great player, tough as nails and one who will always work hard defensively to shut down options, and work hard to create an option going forward when required.

A final point whilst I'm on the stats, one stat that impressed me a lot last season was the number of handball receives that Cooney and Griffen got. They would have been in our top 3 or 4 at seasons end, which is exactly what we need.

Ozza
07-12-2009, 04:48 PM

I'm with you on Cross. I completely disagree that others are going past him. His role may be changing slightly - but if I recall correctly - he was second in the B&F and had a wonderful year again. When Cross had a run with role - he not only cut down his opponents influence - but he still won plenty of the ball.

The thing I like most about Cross as a package - is that his aerobic capacity means he keeps the pressure on the opposition by getting to more contests than anyone else.

I too get frustrated at times with his kicking - but the overall package of Crossy - he's just so important.

Regarding the clearance stats - Crossy more often than not is on the wing at the bounce - so he doesn't have as many opportunities to get clearances - and Boyd and Cooney are better at this anyway.

Whether you have guys starting on the field or bench though - is completely irrelevant. The huge amount of rotations means that starting positions are mostly inconsequential in the midfield spots.

Mantis
07-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Regarding the clearance stats - Crossy more often than not is on the wing at the bounce - so he doesn't have as many opportunities to get clearances - and Boyd and Cooney are better at this anyway.

The reason for this is that he isn't seen as a great centre square player as he often fumbles the ball whereas as players such as Cooney, Boyd, Gia, etc are much cleaner with their hands which equates to us winning more than our fair share of centre square take-aways.

LostDoggy
07-12-2009, 05:45 PM
HF: Giansiracusa, Johnson, Murphy
F: Akermanis, Hall, Higgins
R: Hudson, Cross, Cooney

Int: Minson, Picken, Hahn, Eagleton

EMG: Wood, Hill, Everitt, Markovic, Roughead, Reid, Stack, Tiller, Grant.

I've added an extended EMG to realistically show who is in the running to get extended game time (4-6) this season (albeit months away)

Swoop
07-12-2009, 06:28 PM
The reason for this is that he isn't seen as a great centre square player as he often fumbles the ball whereas as players such as Cooney, Boyd, Gia, etc are much cleaner with their hands which equates to us winning more than our fair share of centre square take-aways.
Cross has actually become an outside - linkup player over the past few seasons and the obvious argument for someone playing that role is his refusal to kick the ball which goes against the concept of that specific role.

Obviously the coaching staff rate him highly based on his BnF results and his numbers and consistency are still at a high level, when naming a side we should really list the on-ballers as the positions are irrelevant.

The one thing I will say is Cross prides himself on his work rate and his ability to accumulate possessions throughout the match, he prides himself on his fitness and understands that even when he is not playing well the later the game goes on the better and more possessions he can pickup compared to his opponent, playing him off the bench will not suit his mentality or his game.

dog town
07-12-2009, 08:51 PM
The reason for this is that he isn't seen as a great centre square player as he often fumbles the ball whereas as players such as Cooney, Boyd, Gia, etc are much cleaner with their hands which equates to us winning more than our fair share of centre square take-aways.I have noticed this comment coming from the club a bit since the start of 2008 and I have to say I dont really agree with it. Cross was drafted on a combination of his endurance, bravery and clean ball handling. He is one of the cleanest players below his knees in the game IMO. He is not an explosive player around stoppages but he will always slow down with a big pack coming at him and ensure he takes the footy. If the club thinks that then they have to go with it but I just dont agree.

Rocco Jones
07-12-2009, 09:04 PM
I have noticed this comment coming from the club a bit since the start of 2008 and I have to say I dont really agree with it. Cross was drafted on a combination of his endurance, bravery and clean ball handling. He is one of the cleanest players below his knees in the game IMO. He is not an explosive player around stoppages but he will always slow down with a big pack coming at him and ensure he takes the footy. If the club thinks that then they have to go with it but I just dont agree.

Totally agree with that DT.

I find it very odd that they see Boyd as clean and Cross as fumbling too often. Cross is far cleaner below his knees than Boyd IMO.

Rocco Jones
07-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Here's my take on it...

HF: Johnson, Murphy, Higgins
F: Giansiracusa, Hall, Akermanis
I/C: Minson, Picken, Everitt, Eagleton

Just a few points
Defence
Would love to see Williams or Markovic holding down a key-defender spot which would allow Lake to burn weaker opponents. Also has a bit of a domino effect freeing up Morris, Hargrave and Harbrow. If Williams can be both injury free and competitive, I think our backline will be very impressive.

Midfield
A lot really depends on Ward's tank but I'd like to see him as a run with player. I would also like to see Cross continue on with the inside tag jobs as Mantis has already suggested. I don't see Picken as an inside tagger but he has obvously shown value as an outside tag. I would like to see him have a crack at being a defensive forward when we come up against quality HBF rebounders.

Forward
Our 6 forwards all seem to suit being around HF more than playing deep. I think Bobby is our best option as a modern CHF. Johnno as a HF target with Higgins in a Chapmanesque role up forward. The move deeper forward will probably help maintain Aker.

Other stuff
- I don't have Hahn because I feel we would be a tad too immobile with Hall, Hahn, Hudson and Minson in the same side.
- Eagleton is there as the 22nd picked due to his elite running. I know most here would much prefer a random young running type but until they demonstrate they can fill a role OR build an AFL running tank the spot is Eagle's to lose. I would have had Hill in his place if not for the negative reports.

Mantis
08-12-2009, 08:58 AM
I have noticed this comment coming from the club a bit since the start of 2008 and I have to say I dont really agree with it. Cross was drafted on a combination of his endurance, bravery and clean ball handling. He is one of the cleanest players below his knees in the game IMO. He is not an explosive player around stoppages but he will always slow down with a big pack coming at him and ensure he takes the footy. If the club thinks that then they have to go with it but I just dont agree.

The 'explosiveness' is one factor which would limit his time in the middle. With Gia and possibly Boyd we have a couple of guys without pure leg speed so we probably can't/ don't play them all in the middle at any one time.

LostDoggy
08-12-2009, 02:38 PM
My two cents...

FB: Harbrow, Lake, Morris
HB: Hargrave, Williams, Gilbee
C: Griffen, Boyd, Cross
FF: Akermanis, Hall, Hahn
Foll: Hudson, Cooney, Picken
INT:Minson, Hill, Ward, Giansiracusa
EMG: Reid, Everitt, Wood
Waiting for a chance: Eagleton, Stack, Markovic, Grant, Addison, Callan, Tiller, Boumann

Backline: If we can get consistent games into this back six I believe they can be a real force in our premiership chances. Morris and Williams are there as shutdown options taking two of the best three forwards and with the ability to play up the ground on the more mobile opponents. If Williams gets some form Morris could even be released to play a shut down role on bigger midfield players similar to the role he played in Tasmania on Sewell in 08 (could be used on Hayes or Goddard). Lake remains the most important player here in terms of his ability to seize control of a game and turn defense into attack. In Harbrow, and Hargrave we have great ball carrying options and Gilbee is still one of the best zone busting kicks around.

Other players to be factored in include Markovic and Boumann as KPP cover, Everitt and Tiller as cover in the larger mid range (ie third tall) and Addison and Callan to provide cover for smaller defenders.

Midfield: Minson's ruck work improved greatly last year with his tapwork to advantage a real feature, Hudson however should remain the main ruck option as he is more mobile and a better mark around the ground. Roughead will be a good ruck but still seems too immature physically to force his way in next year.

A midfield rotation including Boyd, Cooney, Griffen, Picken, Ward, Giansiracusa, Cross and Higgins offers a good blend of contested ball winning and lock down play (Cross), Tagging (Picken) Inside/Outside players (Boyd, Ward, Cooney) and outside speed or and or class (Higgins, Griffen).

Knocking on the door are Wood, Reid, Eagleton and if he returns to best form possibly Addson. Hill Johnson and Aker might also play midfield at times with Hill a good HFF/Wing option with his clean hands, aerobic capacity, long kick and marking ability.

Forwardline: The main question for me is how high should Hall play and what does that mean for Murphy? IMHO we still look best with Murphy leading up outside of the 50 creating space behind him as his speed on the lead and ability to play on and hit a target is not matched by any other player in the side. The other factor is that when both in form, Murphy and Giansiricusa play to each other brilliantly often getting us an uncontested mark inside 50 with a good shot on goal.

That would leave Hall playing a mid forward role but with enough freedom to push up the ground if needed for a bail out option, a kind of Centre Half Full Forward.

Aker and Higgins both provide options to lead and crumb so can play deep or high. Johnno still has too many tricks up his sleeve for many defenders (double leading, contested marking, milking the free, backleading and roving his own ball) esecially considering the best defender would now go to Hall so he can play almost anywhere.

Hahn stays in for a deep forward option and for his bullocking work to break packs and bury defenders in crunching tackles, the concern here is his mobility which was a concern this year. Hill should play higher this year allowing him to come in from the side or back with the flight of the ball not in one on one marking duels with key defenders.

Minson may still rest forward, if he can continue to improve his marking, with his height and bulk he does not need to be fast on the lead to gets his hands free of the spoil and he could be a good deep target for Hall or Murphy if he learns to protect the ball and clunk a couple.

There are not a great number of match ready options waiting in the wings for the forwards. Harbow can certainly play forward but it robs us of his drive of the backline. Stack showed glimpses last year and he looks to have hit preseason with some determination so he could be an option as a defensive forward with a bit of x factor.

Everitt, Grant, Cordy Boumann and Jones might all be able to play as tall forwards but there is a question mark on each and none of them seem ready to grab that spot yet. Of them Everitt has the greatest exposure at AFL level and if he can find his confidence he could challenge for a spot, probably competing with Hill as a lighter bodied mobile marking option with a good long kick.

Hahn in some ways is the most marginal selection but if he is ommited then Hall has to take the bullocking role and play deeper which robs us of an option further up the ground for the high kick under pressure. Grant is an unknown, if he can have a massive preseason to build his tank and frame, he has the speed and the hands to force his way in as a deep forward option, playing behind the Hall or Murphy lead.

LostDoggy
08-12-2009, 05:28 PM

With his second in the B & F i dont think the Coaches are getting too fustrated, keep in mind he would have won it had he not missed those 2 or 3 games late

LostDoggy
08-12-2009, 05:31 PM

Could not agree more. It amazes me how much people bag on him, would be one of the first 10 picked

dog town
08-12-2009, 08:59 PM
The 'explosiveness' is one factor which would limit his time in the middle. With Gia and possibly Boyd we have a couple of guys without pure leg speed so we probably can't/ don't play them all in the middle at any one time. Cant argue with that. I certainly would have thought that would be more of a factor. It has certainly helped having another explosive, bullocking type in there since we moved Griffen in.

stefoid
08-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Crossy could find himself becoming more of a pure tagger like a brett kirk role and thats no bad thing.

Being completely mercenary about it, with a fit and firing Higgins, Ward, Guido and Griffen in the midfield, helping out Cooney and Boyd, Im wondering whether we can field both Picken and Cross in the same side?

Picken seems favoured for his speed, but I dont think you need to be that quick in a pure tagging role, its more about positioning, cutting corners and maintaining body contact. guys like Kirk and Ling certainly arent known for their burst, but they are effective.

BulldogBelle
08-12-2009, 10:10 PM
I said this a few months ago in another forum, but does anyone agree with me that if Everitt, Boumann, Williams, Markovic and Morris could hold the talls in defence, then Lake at CHF and Hall at FF would be an awesome combination. I'm pretty sure Brian came to the club from SA as a forward. (may be wrong, anyone sure?). I look at the power clubs of recent years, and they all have 2 key power forwards. I'm know I'm asking for an enormous amount of faith in our young guys, but I'd LOVE to see this side take the field.

Gilbee, Everitt, Morris
Griffen, Williams, Hargrave
Cross, Boyd, Ward
Johnson, Lake, Murphy
Ackermanis, Hall, Gia
Hudson, Higgins,Cooney,
INT; Minson, Harbrow, Hill,Picken.

Sorry, no room for Eagle or Hahn.

Swoop
09-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Everitt would struggle against most FF's, he has struggled playing similar roles before and there are questions marks as to whether he will ever become a true KPP.

His best option is to continue to improve his aerobic capacity and become a utility who can fill in a number of positions across the field, I would expect to see him predominantly play across half back and through the midfield in 2010.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Everitt would struggle against most FF's, he has struggled playing similar roles before and there are questions marks as to whether he will ever become a true KPP.

His best option is to continue to improve his aerobic capacity and become a utility who can fill in a number of positions across the field, I would expect to see him predominantly play across half back and through the midfield in 2010.

I'm not even convinced Everitt can play as a defensive option. He's beaten on the lead and in the air far too often. He's played on a variety of talls and smalls with very little success. Funny how his standout game this season came v Collingwood when he played in the midfield and lurking around HF. Perhaps a big pre-season could see Everitt refine his defensive game, but for mine, he's no backman at all.

In regards to Hoopsnake's post, Lake wouldn't have the tank for CHF, nor the skills and I doubt the smarts. The few times he's played down there he's struggled to get into the play. Obviously it's near on impossible to adjust in one game, but there's no doubt Lake gives us far more value as a top line FB than he ever will as (potentially) an OK KPF.

stefoid
09-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Is there any reason why Everitt couldnt play Murphys role? Obviously Murph makes up for his lack of height with amazing agility, but Everitt actually has the height, and is a better kick. steaming into F50 on the run I would back everitt to slot it, but murph would have to run to at least 40m and would probably be looking to cross it instead.

Sockeye Salmon
09-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Is there any reason why Everitt couldnt play Murphys role?

Workrate
Timing of leads
Sure hands
Vision

There's more to CHF than being tall.

Ozza
09-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Workrate
Timing of leads
Sure hands
Vision

Agreed.
Murph has the best hands at the club. Some of his marks in the first half vs St.Kilda in the prelim...well....nobody else on our list could have taken some of those.

Murphy has such a great feel for where and when to go, and he just works over his opponents with his big engine (ie. second, third and fourth leads).

stefoid
09-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Daniel cross is 14th in the league for 'scoring involvement' stat, and second only to boyd at the bulldogs in that regard.

discuss...

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/player_rankings?yr=2009&sp=SE&rt=LA&fc=E15

p.s. and 3rd at the bulldogs is The Beard, no doubt due to his stoppage work.

stefoid
09-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Workrate
Timing of leads
Sure hands
Vision

Indeed, but is Everitt deficient in those areas? I remember seeing his first few games off a half back flank and thinking, heres a tall guy that moves well and has a bit of poise, and knows what to do with the ball. (similar to what I thought about murphs first few games, except for the tall part)

Mofra
09-12-2009, 03:47 PM
In regards to Hoopsnake's post, Lake wouldn't have the tank for CHF, nor the skills and I doubt the smarts. The few times he's played down there he's struggled to get into the play. Obviously it's near on impossible to adjust in one game, but there's no doubt Lake gives us far more value as a top line FB than he ever will as (potentially) an OK KPF.
Pretty much sums it up. Lake's version of a lead is 3-4 half steps at a jogging pace - nothing like the repeated efforts at top speed guys like Riewoldt put in.

Lake is a gun FB: I can't recall Scarlett spending time forward in the past few years.

Mofra
09-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Indeed, but is Everitt deficient in those areas? I remember seeing his first few games off a half back flank and thinking, heres a tall guy that moves well and has a bit of poise, and knows what to do with the ball. (similar to what I thought about murphs first few games, except for the tall part)
He is in workrate. The GPS monitors tend to pick up Murph's workrates as being that of elite midfielders.
CHF (if there is such a thing these days) is more about workrate than anything else.

stefoid
09-12-2009, 06:21 PM
He is in workrate. The GPS monitors tend to pick up Murph's workrates as being that of elite midfielders.
CHF (if there is such a thing these days) is more about workrate than anything else.

thats good then, because thats the thing that is most able to be improved. Not many players that have been in the system 3 years have the work rate of an elite midfielder, especially tall ones.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Here's my take on it...

F: Giansiracusa, Hall, Akermanis
I/C: Minson, Picken, Everitt, Eagleton

Just a few points
Defence
Would love to see Williams or Markovic holding down a key-defender spot which would allow Lake to burn weaker opponents. Also has a bit of a domino effect freeing up Morris, Hargrave and Harbrow. If Williams can be both injury free and competitive, I think our backline will be very impressive.

Midfield
A lot really depends on Ward's tank but I'd like to see him as a run with player. I would also like to see Cross continue on with the inside tag jobs as Mantis has already suggested. I don't see Picken as an inside tagger but he has obvously shown value as an outside tag. I would like to see him have a crack at being a defensive forward when we come up against quality HBF rebounders.

Forward
Our 6 forwards all seem to suit being around HF more than playing deep. I think Bobby is our best option as a modern CHF. Johnno as a HF target with Higgins in a Chapmanesque role up forward. The move deeper forward will probably help maintain Aker.

Other stuff
- I don't have Hahn because I feel we would be a tad too immobile with Hall, Hahn, Hudson and Minson in the same side.
- Eagleton is there as the 22nd picked due to his elite running. I know most here would much prefer a random young running type but until they demonstrate they can fill a role OR build an AFL running tank the spot is Eagle's to lose. I would have had Hill in his place if not for the negative reports.

This is a good team, but with possibly one exception. Hall's best work with Sydney was at centre half forward, which would allow Robert Murphy to be more effective on a half forward flank. Hahn does his best work closer to goal and therefore could slot in at full forward. I couldn't imagine the Bulldogs not going in without Hahn in the lineup, as he has been one of our few physical players in the team. This would then allow Gia to start on the bench which he normally does, at the expense of Everitt.
Hopefully this will ensure that we do not have to suffer Minson playing up forward which has been a miserable failure.

Dry Rot
09-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Hall's best work with Sydney was at centre half forward,

Agreed, but most here don't see him playing there.

w3design
17-12-2009, 12:46 PM
OK, first I admit to being an unashamed Cross fan. But what are some of you guys on about? He is the heart, soul and guts of our midfield. What our midfield lacks is a genuine old fashioned rover, as distinct from the ubiquitous modern midfielder, we have plenty of them. I am refering to that explosive, under pack, line bursting type who can sneak forward and kick goals off his own boot regularly, as well as set them up. A few examples might be Ben Cousins, Brent Harvey and Aker [circa 5+ years ago]. Don't know enough about the new young kids yet, but Jarrod Harbrow seems to have the tools to develop into that type of role.
How intimidating will it be for opposition back lines with Hall, Hahn and Big Will [at times] all in the front half. Now all we need there is to get some greater penatration on our kicks in there. What if we put Gilbee and Hargraves out on the wings, Murphy down on a HBF playing that sweeper/generalling role that R. Smith played so well in his latter years [I hate that Americanism..Quarter back], he is both mobile and creative enough, and he can mark. Although the back half normally play well together, at times they seem a little too democratic, and perhaps need an organizing leader, Bob could fill that role well. With say Griff on the other HBF we would lose none of our creativity or pace/penetration out of the back half either.
I think we need at least one of the younger players to really step up this year and become a fixture in the side, possibly to replace JH in the back half if he can become that explosive mid option. There is an abundence of talented kids who we need to take that step up this year.
Roll on season 2010.
Paulv