PDA

View Full Version : Team of the century

Twodogs
05-12-2009, 07:39 PM
This is our TOC. It was named in 2002.

Footscray Team of the Century

B: Charlie Sutton Herb Henderson John Schultz

HB: Wally Donald Ted Whitten (Capt) John Jillard

C: Harry Hickey Allan Hopkins Doug Hawkins(Vice Capt)

HF: Alby Morrison Kelvin Templeton Chris Grant

F: Jack Collins Simon Beasley George Bisset

Foll: Gary Dempsey Scott West Brian Royal

Int: Jim Gallagher Arthur Oliver Brad Johnson
Norm Ware Tony Liberatore Scott Wynd

Coach: Charlie Sutton

My question is would you make any changes? Maybe Lake has earned a spot in the 24 somewhere? I'd also wonder about the Hawk being vice captain as well, although the bloke I'd replace him with as VC is Scotty Wynd-for leadership alone I reckon he's the best captain we've had in my time watching-and if Lake were to come into the TOC then Scotty's probably the guy who'd go out of the team!

Another question I've got is who out of the current team might end up in the TOC for the next century? Cooney, Lake, Griff, Ward all have it in them and if Rocket wins a couple of flags then he is our greatest ever coach-no question.

Sockeye Salmon
05-12-2009, 11:06 PM
I always thought the selectors had a giant cop-out by naming 5 ruckmen in the side - Dempsey, Schultz, Olliver, Ware & Wynd. Even Alby Morrison did some rucking as well.

strebla
06-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't know about that Twodogs i still think Rick Kennedy shades Lake and the selectors went for Herb Henderson who I obviously never saw play so no change for me

Sockeye Salmon
06-12-2009, 12:15 PM
I don't know about that Twodogs i still think Rick Kennedy shades Lake and the selectors went for Herb Henderson who I obviously never saw play so no change for me

We all loved Tits but Lake has him covered by the length of the Flemington straight.

bornadog
06-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Which Century?

strebla
06-12-2009, 02:38 PM
We all loved Tits but Lake has him covered by the length of the Flemington straight.

I may be biased as he is one of my faves but I think his consistency over a long period has lake covered if Lake continues on from last year as we all hope he does then you would be correct.But if the 2 careers are compared now i would take tits in saying that I don't think he made my best side ever.

Twodogs
06-12-2009, 11:25 PM

There is just a happy place in my head where they play in the same team, never get suspended and we win the premiership all the time.

Twodogs
06-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Which Century?

I was wondering if any players playing with us since The Team of The last Century was released have earned a spot in that team. My point would be a lot easier to illustrate if the bloody selectors hadnt included Westy and Johnno in the team in 2002.

Maybe Rohan Smith played enough good footy post 2002 to warrant replacing someone?

alwaysadog
07-12-2009, 09:00 PM

I saw him play and while there have been many from that side who have developed bigger reputations since 1954 Herb's contribution is underestimated in fact he has been often overlooked but he was pure gold and many would have argued at the time the real star.

I love the way Brian goes about his football but it's too soon to think about replacing Herb. Brian will have to continue on for several more seasons at his top level to even make it a fair comparison.

LostDoggy
10-12-2009, 10:09 AM
I saw him play and while there have been many from that side who have developed bigger reputations since 1954 Herb's contribution is underestimated in fact he has been often overlooked but he was pure gold and many would have argued at the time the real star.

I love the way Brian goes about his football but it's too soon to think about replacing Herb. Brian will have to continue on for several more seasons at his top level to even make it a fair comparison.

Agree entirely.

No question about Herb's quality - the only Full back to have Coleman's measure. He and Wally Donald had a great working relationship alongside one another.

LostDoggy
10-12-2009, 10:52 AM
I dislike what North have done to their TOTC by adding players and I think its the same with us. Can't change your mind with a TOTC.
Maybe if you asked to pick the best players ever.

mighty_west
10-12-2009, 11:10 AM
I dislike what North have done to their TOTC by adding players and I think its the same with us. Can't change your mind with a TOTC.
Maybe if you asked to pick the best players ever.

Totally agree, and one of those players was Jimmy Krackour, why wasn't he good enough to get in the team in the first place? Nothing like a good 'ol "after thought" selection.....and which two players get dislodged, or can this team have as many players as they want?

Cheapens the process imo.

Before I Die
10-12-2009, 01:26 PM
And even more to the point. How does a player who made his name this century, qualify for the Team of last Century?