PDA

View Full Version : Dogs team of the last decade

Dry Rot
06-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Have we done a team of best of the Dogs decade 2000 - 2009?

Would it simply be shoehorning Grant, Darcy, West and Smith into roughly the currently team less recent additions like Hall? Or would others like Croft, Libber, Kretiuk and Paul Hudson come into consideration?

chef
06-12-2009, 05:17 PM
FB Morris Lake Hargrave
HB Smith Grant Gilbee
C Eagleton West Cross
HF Brown Murphy Johnson
FF Robbins Darcy Akermanis
R B.Hudson Cooney Boyd
IN Croft Kretiuk Giansiracusa Higgins
EM Griffen Ward Minson Hahn

I am sure i have missed someone.

Apologies to Wynd(only 1 season) and Romero and Liberatore(only 2 seasons).

Remi Moses
06-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Agree with chef although I'd have Hahn in the 18 ahead of Huddo. Team of the 90's Huddo would be a certain inclusion

chef
06-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Agree with chef although I'd have Hahn in the 18 ahead of Huddo. Team of the 90's Huddo would be a certain inclusion

I have Ben in my team, not Paul. It was out of him and Wynd for the ruck(as Darcy is at FF) and there was no one else worthy(apart from big willy). I picked Huddo as he has had 2 years at the peak of his powers in the time bracket, while Wynd only had 1 season, which was at the end of his career when he wasn't as effective.

LostDoggy
06-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Darcy play 1 good game at FF but won an AFL MVP in the ruck, surely he should be first ruck.

mighty_west
06-12-2009, 11:52 PM
FB Morris Lake Hargrave
HB Smith Grant Gilbee
C Eagleton West Cross
HF Brown Murphy Johnson
R B.Hudson Cooney Boyd

I am sure i have missed someone.

Apologies to Wynd(only 1 season) and Romero and Liberatore(only 2 seasons).

I don;t think you need to apologise for those 3, Libba & Wynd GREATS of the 90's & Romero very good, all easily go into the 90's side, but simply don't qualify for the 00's as players in their twilight.

I'd have Darcy first ruck, that was his positon, we never really had a real FF, so i'd have Johnno there, we always had the small "rotating door" ff line, and at least Johnno bagged 74 goals one season, Gia or Mitch could take the HFF, probably Gia slightly ahead of Mitch who sits on the pine.

chef
07-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Darcy play 1 good game at FF but won an AFL MVP in the ruck, surely he should be first ruck.

I was going to put Johnno at FF, but I wanted at least one tall in the forward line and pre-knee Darcy was the best tall forward we had in the 00's(apart from Grant, but he is also the best CHB I've seen). I've seen Darcy play more than 1 good game up forward and if he hadn't done is knee(and if we had a decent 2ND ruck) IMO he would have played a lot more up there(he was playing as a forward when he did it).

LostDoggy
07-12-2009, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=chef;129124]FB Morris Lake Hargrave
HB Smith Grant Gilbee
C Eagleton West Cross
HF Brown Murphy Johnson
R B.Hudson Cooney Boyd
QUOTE]

Sounds pretty good me. Great Side!!

Remi Moses
07-12-2009, 08:31 PM

Agree entirely darcy becoming a great key forward for us was speculative to say the least. we have to have a small forward line because we didn't have a decent key forward in the naughties.

Dry Rot
07-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Agree entirely darcy becoming a great key forward for us was speculative to say the least. we have to have a small forward line because we didn't have a decent key forward in the naughties.

And why are people picking Grant as CHB in a team season 2000 and beyond?

chef
08-12-2009, 09:32 AM
And why are people picking Grant as CHB in a team season 2000 and beyond?

Because that's where he played the majority of his football after returning from a knee injury in 03 and IMO he was a better CHB than CHF(in the 00's). In the 90's(and under Wallace in early 00's) he played more as a CHF. In the 00's Johnson and Murphy were our first choice CHF's.

What would your team be DR?

Dry Rot
08-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Because that's where he played the majority of his football after returning from a knee injury in 03 and IMO he was a better CHB than CHF(in the 00's). In the 90's(and under Wallace in early 00's) he played more as a CHF. In the 00's Johnson and Murphy were our first choice CHF's.

What would your team be DR?

OK, You saw more of the team then so I'll take your word for it. :)

Some tricky selections here eg Hargrave vs Kretiuk. Also would you have West, Cross and Boyd all in the one team? Got a feeling that West at his best rules out Cross.

Forward line below is a dwarf one but IMO represents what we did this decade for better or worse.

FB Morris Lake Kretiuk
HB Smith Grant Gilbee
C Eagleton West Griffen
HF Brown Murphy Gia
FF Robbins Johnson Akermanis
R Darcy Cooney Boyd
IN B Hudson Higgins Hahn ??????

Last spot on the bench has got me. Ward will be terrific but his time will really come in the next decade. Love to have Cross in but see comment above. Minson doesn't fit with Darcy and Hudson already in there. Ditto Hargrave deserves a place but I think we need another runner on the bench.