PDA

View Full Version : East Meets West Family Day

The Coon Dog
08-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Date: Saturday 16th January 2010
Time: 9.00am - 10.30am

The East-West Club, the Western Bulldogs largest Supporter Group is hosting their annual East-Meets West Family Day. This unique day on the supporter group calendar is a brilliant opportunity for supporters to see the 2010 Western Bulldogs playing group during a light pre-season training session. This family friendly day offers a BBQ breakfast, face painting, membership and merchandise sales and other fun activities for the kids and it is a great way to support the fundraising efforts of the East-West Club.

Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/87913/default.aspx)

AndrewP6
08-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Saw this today... for us on the other side of town, days like this are great. I'll be there - already marked it in the calendar! Last year's was ended prematurely so the players could get back to WO to announce Mission as the new sponsor. Wonder if there'll be any surprises this time?

LostDoggy
08-12-2009, 11:26 PM
This is always a great day. I will certainly br there, but hopefully the weather is better than the last few times I've made it.

jazzadogs
09-12-2009, 01:50 AM
This is always a great day. I will certainly br there, but hopefully the weather is better than the last few times I've made it.
From memory the weather's been good the last few years...normally too hot, if anything?

OLD SCRAGGer
09-12-2009, 08:07 AM
From memory the weather's been good the last few years...normally too hot, if anything?

The one in January this year was ok weather wise, but the previous 2 years it was very damp indeed. It's a good day just the same, I'll be there with bells on:D

LostDoggy
09-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks TCD!! I usually hear about this day when it's already happening & end up missing the start. But now I'm on WOOF so all's good with the world!! :)

Cyberdoggie
09-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Tops,

I'll be able to make this one hopefully.

Bulldog4life
09-12-2009, 02:38 PM
I used to live 5 minutes drive away which was great but not anymore. But it is such a great day to see the players up close and personal that the wife and daughters have it booked in already.

The Coon Dog
30-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Perhaps all WOOFERS who have them could wear their Ben Hudson t-shirts?

LostDoggy
30-12-2009, 09:00 PM

Yep ;) good idea! I know it puts a smile on the boys faces when they see them! First thing Rocket commented on when we met him in July actually LOL

So looking forward to this day - Aker BETTER be there, Sebs on the hunt for his name in his jumber!

jitboy
07-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Had a really good time at the East meets West day last year, and getting Harbrow to sign my match worn #40 jumper was the icing on the cake.

Will see you all there again in a couple weeks.

LostDoggy
07-01-2010, 01:34 PM
We will definetly be there and it falls on my little blokes birthday. He will love it.

always right
07-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Our family will be there (me and the missus, son and two daughters), my brother and two of his daughters, and a close friend who currently barracks for Essendon but is almost across the line to be a doggies member. Family day should be the final lever that completes the mission:D

Cyberdoggie
07-01-2010, 05:58 PM
For those of you who have been to Wesley in the past to attend the East meets West day,
You will notice that Wesley Colleage have upgraded their sporting facilities over the year.
The turf is now in excellent condition and they have updated the change room building where they usually conduct all the speeches around. The roof looks a lot bigger so hopefully there is some shade there in case it's a scorcher or the rain comes again.

Bulldog4life
08-01-2010, 01:30 PM
For those of you who have been to Wesley in the past to attend the East meets West day,
You will notice that Wesley Colleage have upgraded their sporting facilities over the year.
The turf is now in excellent condition and they have updated the change room building where they usually conduct all the speeches around. The roof looks a lot bigger so hopefully there is some shade there in case it's a scorcher or the rain comes again.

It seems to be either one or the other each year.:)

LostDoggy
14-01-2010, 08:47 PM
What time is good to get there? Is it usually packed?

The Underdog
14-01-2010, 09:39 PM
What time is good to get there? Is it usually packed?

From memory if you get there late car parking can be a bit of a pain in the arse. Not sure what it'll be like if it actually gets a really good crowd. Usually plenty of space around the training ground to watch.
But hey it's at Wesley, there's loads of ovals for a kick and there's got to be somewhere to park all the Beamers and Mercs on school days.

LostDoggy
14-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Our family will be there (me and the missus, son and two daughters), my brother and two of his daughters, and a close friend who currently barracks for Essendon but is almost across the line to be a doggies member. Family day should be the final lever that completes the mission:D

If you point out the close friend to me,
I'll give them a lovely, rousing rhyme,
About how becoming a devoted Doggie,
Will be right come this September time.

From the families to the fanatics alike,
And also first yearers to long hikes,
We see a team that will finally break,
No pinnacle for years fifty-five straight.

I'll go easy on how they were wrong,
To be supporting that team essendon.
For there certainly won't be much of a thrill,
This season out there at windy hill.

AndrewP6
14-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Just checked my email, there's one from the E-W club, regarding the training session at Wesley. The email says it's on Saturday, and a link within the article goes to the WB site, to a story regarding the 2009 Day (and it says January 17th)????

Further down there is another link, this one to the 2010 E-W Day, on Saturday... more quality website work from the club (or whoever administers the site!)

LostDoggy
15-01-2010, 12:09 PM
But hey it's at Wesley, there's loads of ovals for a kick and there's got to be somewhere to park all the Beamers and Mercs on school days.

LOL Good Point! ;)

ronmcd
15-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Don't forget your doggies comrades who are interstate but cant get to the family day!!!Any pics (and stories)would be greatly appreciated. Weather looks like its going to be good for you all -enjoy yourselves - I'm envious!!

LostDoggy
15-01-2010, 09:01 PM

I'll be wearing mine proudly,
With my hair mohawked up,
Red, white, blue and loudly,
Because I'm a Doggies nut!

LostDoggy
15-01-2010, 10:55 PM
The Club website can be topsy turvy at times but at least it gives us better news than Carlton wih their A/A Players;)

jazzadogs
16-01-2010, 12:47 AM
CHLMcp5v8m4

Couldn't have said it better myself Bumblebee/the Pointer Sisters.

GVGjr
16-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I went along today and had a good look at the boys being put through their paces.

During some of the drill Barry Hall was very much one of the leaders who kept up the talk and made sure the boys were motivated.

Some of the new boys were on display including Tutt, Prato Moles, Thorne, Rose and Markovic.

Thorne looks a good prospect but probably doesn't kick the ball hard enough in the drills.
Markovic moved well and has strong hands, Tutt is a good runner, Prato full of athletic potential, Moles is a good all round footballer and Rose looked OK as well. Mulligan is also a strong runner.

From the emerging group of players I was once again impressed with Roughead who quite often was able to bend down and scoop balls off the ground on the half volley.
Jones (LJ) was also moving very well and his around the ground kicking quite good.
Brennan Stack looks in great condition and I think he is now physically ready for the rigors of senior football. Easton Wood was also running very well and I am told he is in great condition.
Hard to judge how Jarrad Grant is progressing and to be honest I didn't watch him all that closely.

There was plenty of senior players there including Giansiracusa, Murphy, Eagleton, Akermanis, Hargrave, Cross, Boyd and Gilbee.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other reports.

Panos
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc320/GVGjr/Panos-1.jpg

mighty_west
16-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks for that GVGjr, did you keep an eye on Josh Hill at all? Someone i know went down to Whitten yesterday and basically said he was training the roof down, always up with the leaders in any running drills, just full of life, which is great to hear.

GVGjr
16-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for that GVGjr, did you keep an eye on Josh Hill at all? Someone i know went down to Whitten yesterday and basically said he was training the roof down, always up with the leaders in any running drills, just full of life, which is great to hear.

Definitely looked toned and fit so I'm hoping he is right back to, or at least very close to, his best. He goes about his work quietly.

Before I Die
16-01-2010, 02:10 PM
I went along today and had a good look at the boys being put through their paces.

During some of the drill Barry Hall was very much one of the leaders who kept up the talk and the boys motivated.

Some of the new boys were on display including Tutt, Prato Moles, Thorne, Rose and Markovic.

Thorne looks a good prospect but probably doesn't kick the ball hard enough in the drills.
Markovic moved well and has strong hands, Tutt is a good runner, Prato full of athletic potential, Moles is a good all round footballer and Rose looked OK as well. Mulligan is also a good runner.

From the emerging group of players I was once again impressed with Roughead who quite often was able to bend down and scoop balls off the ground on the half volley.
Jones (LJ) was also moving very well and his around the ground kicking quite good.
Brennan Stack looks in great condition and I think he is now physically ready for the rigors of senior football. Easton Wood was also running very well and I am told he is in great condition.
Hard to judge how Jarrad Grant is progressing and to be honest I didn't watch him all that closely.

There was plenty of senior players there including Giansiracusa, Murphy, Eagleton, Akermanis, Hargrave, Cross, Boyd and Gilbee.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other reports.

His skills didn't look out of place either, which was great to see given he has played less than half a dozen games of footy. The question mark will be over his game smarts.

I also thought DaDruid looked replendent in his mohawk and bearded one shirt. Seemed to be posing for more photos than some of the players.:D

GVGjr
16-01-2010, 02:22 PM
His skills didn't look out of place either, which was great to see given he has played less than half a dozen games of footy. The question mark will be over his game smarts.

He certainly has better skills than I thought he might have. Big smile on his face, out of all the players, he seemed to be the one enjoying himself the most.

Prato
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc320/GVGjr/Prato-1.jpg

The Doctor
16-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I went along as well. They must have started early as I arrived well before 9 and they were already in full swing. It looked like 1/2 the squad were absent. I didn't see Johnson, Murphy, Everitt, Hudson, Cooney, Howard, Reid, Lake, Hargrave, Hahn, Aker, Minson on the track although most were there signing autographs.

i couldn't really gather too much as the training was fairly basic stuff. However here are some observations;

Thorne - I watched him a bit and it looked easy for him. Took marks lightly in his hands and drilled all the passes I saw and with good speed. He has what I would call greyhound legs.

Prato - Big and athletic. I was quite surprised by his skill level, the kick and mark variety. His kicking was accurate and co-ordinated for such a big fellow with little experience.

Tutt - Quite broad shouldered for a little guy. Looks more like a rugby scrum half. over cooked a few kicks but did what you would expect.

Grant - I liked the look of him today. He cruised a fair bit which tells me there is still some in the tank. He looked purposeful, kicked well and looked quite fit. still slim but the body looked hard.

Hall - Put on a clinic today. When he was involved the tempo seemed to lift a gear. A real PRO.

Roughead - looks big, fit and strong. I really like him. Can't wait to see him play.

The boys looked fairly sharp and in great nic. Some of the young veterans like Higgins, Boyd, Griffen looked in fantastic shape. Stack looked in perfect shape.

Doc26
16-01-2010, 03:11 PM
I am totally spewing. Had been informed that this was now to be held on the 17th Jan rather than the 16th and had subsequently planned for the family attending TOMORROW morning.

I've since worked out how my 'informer' was misunderstood. The Bulldog website still has an archived url of 2009's East Meets West Day at Wesley college which was held on Sat. '17 Jan. 2009'.

Damn it.

The Coon Dog
16-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I am totally spewing. Had been informed that this was now to be held on the 17th Jan rather than the 16th and had subsequently planned for the family attending TOMORROW morning.

I've since worked out how my 'informer' was misunderstood. The Bulldog website still has an archived url of 2009's East Meets West Day at Wesley college which was held on Sat. '17 Jan. 2009'.

Damn it.

Doc26, sorry to hear about that, but, please don't take this the wrong way, but if you really want to know what's going on, refer to WOOF. I'd back us 100 times out of a 100 to be up to date with info like this.

I went along & spent more time talking with people than watching.

Robert Murphy is always nice to talk to, just moved into a house in Ivanhoe so Arthur now has a garden to run around in. Murph said since he's had the cyst removed from behind a tendon in his knee he's pain free & moving like his old self. Very comforting to hear.

I met Matthew Panos' parents who are delightful. Matthew is living with a host family in Hoppers Crossing & his Dad is already aware of WOOF.

Had a chat with the coach who said the team are fit, super fit! They played a bit of a practice match yesterday & finished off with 12 x 400 metres runs, so it was only a light session today. Very impressed with Brodie Moles' game yesterday.

Met many WOOFERS there this morning; P Webb, Da Druid, DoDoggies, cyberdoggie (good luck next week on your wedding Alex), Andrew P6, phantomdog, The Dogs Bollocks, Sockeye Salmon, Schnookie & The Underdog. Certainly a well represented group today.

There were quite a few people taking photos so hopefully they find their way on here soon.

LostDoggy
16-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks for reports so far..

Was big Ayce out there? Where did he play?

mjp
16-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Had a chat with the coach who said the team are fit, super fit! They played a bit of a practice match yesterday & finished off with 12 x 400 metres runs, so it was only a light session today. Very impressed with Brodie Moles' game yesterday.

A game simulation followed by 12 x 400's....geez, I am hoping the 'light session' comment is deliberate irony!

I am amazed they trained at all today given that amount of running effort...

The Coon Dog
16-01-2010, 04:35 PM
A game simulation followed by 12 x 400's....geez, I am hoping the 'light session' comment is deliberate irony!

The game simulation only went for a half an hour or so.

Before I Die
16-01-2010, 05:21 PM

TCD's "light session" comment referred to today's training at the East meets West family day. The 12 x 400s and the match simulation were part of Friday's "heavy session".

jazzadogs
16-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Ayce didn't train. Neither did Murphy, Hargrave, Hahn, Lake, Cooney (his tattoo really is interesting), Minson, Everitt and some of the younger players.

Hill's vertical leap still astounds me, Cross & Boyd's intensity was at the usual standards (not that the others took it easy).

Was impressed, like others, with Hall's approach.

Wasn't sure who Prato was during the training session, impressed me though. Looks like a tall Farren Ray with his hair like that. Hopefully his extra height contains courage and skill.

The thing which stood out the most to me were a) the height of the squad and b) the skill level. During a criss-cross handball drill I reckon I saw the ball hit the ground twice, same for a criss cross kicking drill (hitting a stationary target). Wasn't as great when they were trying to hit targets on the lead, but there was a lot of talk and backing up, which is a good sign even if the skills weren't great.

Johnno and The Beard were the only two who didn't show up at all, as they were doing a coaching course. All the others attended to sign autographs, all very accomodating as usual (J Grant didn't seem like he was enjoying himself very much, but I can understand that).

One of my favourite days of every year, surpasses the Family Day/Community Festival/whatever they call it, because you get to see them train, and there's not as many people. I'm not good with crowds, so I won't estimate how many were there.

Many thanks to the East-West Club for putting it on, I assume some of the organisers post on here.

AndrewP6
16-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Just checked my email, there's one from the E-W club, regarding the training session at Wesley. The email says it's on Saturday, and a link within the article goes to the WB site, to a story regarding the 2009 Day (and it says January 17th)????

Further down there is another link, this one to the 2010 E-W Day, on Saturday... more quality website work from the club (or whoever administers the site!)

Damn it.

I very nearly got caught the same way... rechecked on here at least 5 times!

AndrewP6
16-01-2010, 06:22 PM
I went along today... unlike last year, had a hell of a time finding a park... the disabled bays were all taken when I got there (one by a truck!) so had to go right round the back of the oval. As many have said, it was a light session, with many not in action. Was good to put a face to the names of the new blokes (and some WOOFers), and it's good to get up close to the action. Impressed by BAZZA, he was very supportive of his teammates, and appears to be enjoying being at the Kennel. Noticed he was chatting with Rocket a number of times, hope the great man can get the best out of him. Stackalicious is indeed in great physical shape, hope he earns some game time this year. Although a short session, the boys looked alright, and many were quite vocal.

Rocket's sense of humour as always came through - when introducing the new players, he asked Markovic(I think it was him) "Are you 21 or 22?" to which Markovic replied "I'm 23." And Rocket just said "We'll go with 22!". Also funny when introducing Prato, and how he's new to footy, he said he'd only played 2-3 games, and that they'd continue to say that, as it sounded better!

I'll put some pics up for anyone interested.

BulldogBelle
16-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I went along today... unlike last year, had a hell of a time finding a park... the disabled bays were all taken when I got there (one by a truck!) so had to go right round the back of the oval. As many have said, it was a light session, with many not in action. Was good to put a face to the names of the new blokes (and some WOOFers), and it's good to get up close to the action. Impressed by BAZZA, he was very supportive of his teammates, and appears to be enjoying being at the Kennel. Noticed he was chatting with Rocket a number of times, hope the great man can get the best out of him. Stackalicious is indeed in great physical shape, hope he earns some game time this year. Although a short session, the boys looked alright, and many were quite vocal.

Rocket's sense of humour as always came through - when introducing the new players, he asked Markovic(I think it was him) "Are you 21 or 22?" to which Markovic replied "I'm 23." And Rocket just said "We'll go with 22!". Also funny when introducing Prato, and how he's new to footy, he said he'd only played 2-3 games, and that they'd continue to say that, as it sounded better!

My brother inlaw also liked Rocket's sense of humor!

Put your pics up and l will put some up soon too.

AndrewP6
16-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Here are a few pics, will try and post more later... have to resize them...

Hill taking a huge grab...OK, so he was only about a foot off the ground...

ronmcd
16-01-2010, 08:55 PM

I am certainly keen for any pics AndrewP6 - thanks for the offer - I look forward to them:)

alwaysadog
16-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Can't add much to what has already been said; I thought the boys looked sharp for so early back after the break.

I heard they played a game with 40 on the field yesterday, if you want to replicate a tight game this is an old way of practising it.

Today most of the drills complimented that they were quick ball movement, possession retention in crowded situations or clearing contests and distributing to a leading player at a fair distance.

Saw both Harbrow and Bouman with iced up knees after the event.

As has been noted the guys looked in terrific shape and in marked contrast to some years ago few would be easily pushed aside.

Was pleased to see Thorne, the transition can't be easy but he looked happy enough with things.

AndrewP6
16-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Can anyone here help...I'm trying to upload more pics, and when I try to upload attachments, I get a message saying I'm over the quota...if I delete attachments, do images disappear from posts?

GVGjr
16-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Can anyone here help...I'm trying to upload more pics, and when I try to upload attachments, I get a message saying I'm over the quota...if I delete attachments, do images disappear from posts?

I'll send you a PM.

LostDoggy
16-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Yep a great morning. Was so good to get a dose of footy! Was also very nice to meet some fellow woofers :) Was also good to catch up with some of the staff that we had met last year. Was amazed, well humbled a bit, that they all remembered us. They must meet so many people!
The boys looked good and were all very nice (as usual) with the autographs and photo opps - felt a bit sorry for them actually. I know Aker spend a solid 1-2 hours just signing stuff.
Seb was wrapped with it all, of course. Highlight was meeting Aker who was very impressed with the big "21" on the back of his jumper. He signed the "1" and wrote Dream Big, Seb was thrilled.
Took lots of photos - just in the process of adding them all to flikr and Seb's site. will post here ASAP.

AndrewP6
16-01-2010, 09:52 PM
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/DSCF4604.jpg

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/DSCF4617.jpg?t=1263636243

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/DSCF4633.jpg?t=1263636526
Apologies for differing sizes - messing around on Photobucket!

GVGjr
16-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Well done Andrew. You can upload more than one image per post providing they are not too big

LostDoggy
16-01-2010, 10:45 PM
You can see some action shots at www.BWSimages.com.au (http://www.bwsimages.com.au) *LET THE PICS SCROLL THOUGH ON THE FRONT PAGE!*...... direct link to exact page is here - BWSimages (http://jsparke.photobiz.com/cart/event_select.cfm?eventID=302882)

And of course more candid shots in the albums at www.GoDoggies (http://godoggies.wordpress.com/photo-album/)

FLIKR slide show (http://www.flickr.com/photos/40044685@N03/sets/72157623219814602/show/with/4278671884/)

LostDoggy
17-01-2010, 01:36 AM

I also thought DaDruid looked replendent in his mohawk and bearded one shirt. Seemed to be posing for more photos than some of the players.:D

Stop it!! You'll make me blush!:o

LostDoggy
17-01-2010, 03:05 AM
I have to thank all from WOOF who came over and introduced themselves today. Best reception that side of town I've ever had in any way,shape or form. Good to put faces to a few avatars as I think I'm the only one who runs with a real pic for theirs.:p I had a great day. From the moment I was certain that my mohawk was going to stay up at 6.30am, my day jusy got better and better. Rode out with footy friend in brand new convertible. Got gawked at and gawked right back all the way. Hair in breeze was not not an issue. Car aerodynamics were great, no dramas even on the freeway (2009 VW Eos for the car buffs). I really think I'll cause an accident one day. Haven't got pics as didn't bring camera but was popular with all who did. Even snapped by a couple of players on their phonecams. Many thanks to East-West Club and Wesley and the staff and players for sharing their Saturday morning with the faithful. Going to be a permanent fixture on all my future Bulldogs calendars.:D:D:D

ronmcd
17-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Well done Andrew.

Great to see these pics, Andrew - thanks a lot! Also thanks for suggestions to other links from others (GoDoggies)- much appreciated. Looks like a good day was had by all.
Aker seems to have put himself out for the youngsters by the look of it - this says a lot about the guy. The boys do look in terrfic shape - good to hear their skills matched this.;)

LostDoggy
17-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Great to see these pics, Andrew - thanks a lot! Also thanks for suggestions to other links from others (GoDoggies)- much appreciated. Looks like a good day was had by all.
Aker seems to have put himself out for the youngsters by the look of it - this says a lot about the guy. The boys do look in terrfic shape - good to hear their skills matched this.;)

Yes, Aker was fantastic yesterday. All credit to him for his friendliness toward all - babies, kids, Big Kids and even dogs :D

LostDoggy
17-01-2010, 02:55 PM
It's already been said but thanks heaps for all the reports on East West day. Being in Darwin means I'm pretty reliant on the info from supporters residing in Melbourne.

It's great to hear the boys are in good shape. I remember when it seemed that our guys were completely incapable of putting on muscle but things have certainly changed. Thanks also for the pics guys.

Go Dogs!

Doc26
17-01-2010, 03:51 PM
You can see some action shots at www.BWSimages.com.au (http://www.bwsimages.com.au) *LET THE PICS SCROLL THOUGH ON THE FRONT PAGE!*...... direct link to exact page is here - BWSimages (http://jsparke.photobiz.com/cart/event_select.cfm?eventID=302882)

And of course more candid shots in the albums at www.GoDoggies (http://godoggies.wordpress.com/photo-album/)

FLIKR slide show (http://www.flickr.com/photos/40044685@N03/sets/72157623219814602/show/with/4278671884/)

Thanks Jodie and Andrew for posting up some great shots of the day. Helps ease my pain from missing the morning. By the look of it Seb must've had a great time. I'm sure my 2 girls would've been too afraid of Big Barry up close anyway. He still looks veerry imposing and looks in good shape.

AndrewP6
17-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Some more pics

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/DSCF4631.jpg
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/DSCF4634.jpg
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/DSCF4637.jpg
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/DSCF4640.jpg

LostDoggy
17-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Took lots of photos - just in the process of adding them all to flikr and Seb's site. will post here ASAP.

Had a look at some, good photos there Jodie. Just wondered how Seb is up close with the players? Really shy? or more relaxed..does he ask questions? and specifically Barry Hall? :)

I remember taking my sister to a game last year and Mitch Hahn gave her a Hat or something after the game (shes 13) and she just froze and smiled..star struck probably..even im a bit like that sometimes..haha

AndrewP6
17-01-2010, 08:44 PM
And again...
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/DSCF4626.jpg?t=1263718706

AndrewP6
17-01-2010, 08:56 PM
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/DSCF4622.jpg?t=1263718517
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/DSCF4624.jpg?t=1263718598
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/DSCF4621.jpg?t=1263718648

AndrewP6
17-01-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't know much about him (had to read up here on WOOF, and it's a pretty harsh call, but my first thought on seeing the rookies yesterday was "Who's the little fat bloke? (Andrew Hooper)...yes, I know he's probably just "solid" a la Brad Hardie...have to admit, I thought some fan had snuck upstairs and put on a Dogs shirt!!! Anyhoo, I'm sure the recruiters know their stuff..

Before I Die
17-01-2010, 10:40 PM
I don't know much about him (had to read up here on WOOF, and it's a pretty harsh call, but my first thought on seeing the rookies yesterday was "Who's the little fat bloke? (Andrew Hooper)...yes, I know he's probably just "solid" a la Brad Hardie...have to admit, I thought some fan had snuck upstairs and put on a Dogs shirt!!! Anyhoo, I'm sure the recruiters know their stuff..

I am not sure what her qualifications are, but apparently Katrina Gill thinks he has talent

Your club's next cult figure

Western Bulldogs

Andrew Hooper

Hooper, unlike most of the aforementioned players, doesn’t have the ‘x-factor’ usually associated with a cult figure, but he has the work ethic and determination to become a favourite among the Doggies’ faithful. The joint Larke Medallist was overlooked in November’s NAB AFL Draft because of his size (172cm) but can find his own ball and is bound to win some fans with his fierce attack at the footy.

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=88706) to the full article at afl.com

mighty_west
18-01-2010, 11:34 AM

Well, at least the kid doesn't need 3 or 4 years to put on some size...;)

Going by the video footage here he doesn't mind having a dip, he is a real goer.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6688&highlight=ANDREW+HOOPER

always right
18-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I had a mixed day. Took lots of video and then got back home and found that apart from a small amount of footage, when I thought it was on pause it was recording, and when I thought it was recording, it was on pause. Embarrassing....and annoying.

The good news is that I managed to get my mate to convert from the bombers to the bulldogs. The final clincher was attending the family day, getting his photo taken with Barry Hall and finally...having a chat with Rocket. Rocket has a great manner with people.

Enjoyed the day and thought the blokes looked in great condition. Even Grant and Bouman looked a lot stonger and Liam Jones is a very impressive unit who moves and kicks well. Aker was great with the supporters as were all the others. Barry even posed for a photo with a baby. I thought he was going to eat it.....the baby, not the photo

The Coon Dog
18-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Rocket has a great manner with people.

Just ask Sockeye!

always right
18-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Just ask Sockeye!

Please elaborate

AndrewP6
18-01-2010, 01:15 PM
. Barry even posed for a photo with a baby. I thought he was going to eat it.....the baby, not the photo

At one point during the kicking drills, BAZZA called for the ball, and it sounded like thunder! Bloke behind me said "Jeez, he even sounds scary!!"

Axe Man
18-01-2010, 02:17 PM

Funnily enough I saw Ayce in San Remo on Saturday at about 12:30pm. I only noticed him because he had his bulldogs gear on (that and the fact he is rather tall), must have come straight down from East West day.

Cyberdoggie
18-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Ayce was there, not sure if he was in the drills as i believe he is still in rehab?

He has definately put some weight on but you wouldn't call him big. Still a long way to go for Ayce's body to be ready, i suspect he will take many years just like Luke Darcy did, hopefully he can have an impact as his body develops over the years.

The player i noticed was Eddie Prato, the basketball convert that we kept hidden from other teams until the rookie draft.

Prato kind of looks like a taller version of Ryan Griffen, very fit and athletic looking, can't say i saw enough of him to rate his skills but if he can ruck as well as he can move then he will be a great pickup.

Swoop
18-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I would say Cordy has a similar body shape to Fletcher & Westhoff, he will most likely never look big but provided he has sufficient strength to compete I will back him to use his smarts, ability & agility against opponents.

He will prove to be a very difficult matchup in years to come particularly closer to goals where his skills set make it hard to find a suitable opponent for.

LostDoggy
18-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Thank you so much fellow WOOFers for the reports and photos. I was away & missed it, which is a shame, I really wanted to meet the WOOFers that were there. Family day maybe? :)

Sockeye Salmon
18-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Please elaborate

My 6yo was so keen to kick some goals we were on the oval long after most had left.

As it happens Rocket had parked his car quite near the goals, and as I have met him on a number of occasions he came over to say hi. Dad got some serious cred with the boy when Rocket walks over and says, "hello, Jim".

Rocket then tickled my little bloke and posed for a couple of photos before spending 15 minutes chatting to me while the little bloke did his best to impress the coach so he would get drafted!

The most significant things Rocket said were that Moles kicking was way better than he (Rocket) realised and thinks he's a really good player and of the taller, young players, Liam Jones is the one they have highest hopes for.

Before I Die
18-01-2010, 04:38 PM
My 6yo was so keen to kick some goals we were on the oval long after most had left.

As it happens Rocket had parked his car quite near the goals, and as I have met him on a number of occasions he came over to say hi. Dad got some serious cred with the boy when Rocket walks over and says, "hello, Jim".

Rocket then tickled my little bloke and posed for a couple of photos before spending 15 minutes chatting to me while the little bloke did his best to impress the coach so he would get drafted!

The most significant things Rocket said were that Moles kicking was way better than he (Rocket) realised and thinks he's a really good player and of the taller, young players, Liam Jones is the one they have highest hopes for.

The context of that would be very interesting. Was it terms of as a true CHF, or as the best overall tall player? I don't think the former would be a complete shock, but if it is the latter than it is a huge wrap as Roughead (Ruck), Cordy (Ruck/Forward), Grant (FF) and Boumann (CHB/FB) all show promise. These guys don't give us true depth just yet, but they certaily make the future look promising.

AndrewP6
18-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Rocket has a great manner with people.
True, when I went to the 2008 family day, he was wondering around early in the piece and I got a pic, and had a good chat...seems very down to earth and approachable. I was too starstruck to glean anything more worthwhile!

Barry even posed for a photo with a baby. I thought he was going to eat it.....the baby, not the photo

Did anyone see as the players were heading towards the showers, BAZZA stopped and did a few autographs and pics, and when he went to leave, one disappointed young fan looked very downcast - BAZZA assured him he'd come back and he could see him then! The big softie...;)

stefoid
19-01-2010, 10:58 AM

Glad to see Rocket and I see eye to eye on the Jones boy.

So Moles is Eagletons understudy, eh? interesting.

Mantis
19-01-2010, 11:22 AM
So Moles is Eagletons understudy, eh? interesting.

Why would you assume that?

The way I read it is that Moles was drafted as a 'hard-bodied' midfielder, but his kicking skills are better than what was thought of previously.

Go_Dogs
19-01-2010, 11:48 AM
The way I read it is that Moles was drafted as a 'hard-bodied' midfielder, but his kicking skills are better than what was thought of previously.

By the sounds of it, he'll be able to play inside and out, perhaps a bit of a poor man's Cooney type?

How is his pace?

Twodogs
19-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Funnily enough I saw Ayce in San Remo on Saturday at about 12:30pm. I only noticed him because he had his bulldogs gear on (that and the fact he is rather tall), must have come straight down from East West day.

So there's lots of 7 foot tall curly headed teenagers wandering around San Remo these days?

Mofra
19-01-2010, 01:39 PM
So there's lots of 7 foot tall curly headed teenagers wandering around San Remo these days?
Maybe Streeta "got around a bit" in his younger days

w3design
19-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Hey guys, glad to hear I am no longer the only member of the "Liam Jones for long term CHF club". Did any one else think he has grown an inch or two since last season too? If any one knows what his actual height Now is, as distinct from when he was originally drafted, which is all you usually get from the Doggies unfortunatly 'afl basic' web site, could you please let us know. Thanks.

LostDoggy
19-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Hey guys, glad to hear I am no longer the only member of the "Liam Jones for long term CHF club". Did any one else think he has grown an inch or two since last season too? If any one knows what his actual height Now is, as distinct from when he was originally drafted, which is all you usually get from the Doggies unfortunatly 'afl basic' web site, could you please let us know. Thanks.

I read that he is now 197 cm.

alwaysadog
19-01-2010, 10:48 PM
The context of that would be very interesting. Was it terms of as a true CHF, or as the best overall tall player? I don't think the former would be a complete shock, but if it is the latter than it is a huge wrap as Roughead (Ruck), Cordy (Ruck/Forward), Grant (FF) and Boumann (CHB/FB) all all show promise. These guys don't give us true depth just yet, but they certaily make the future lock promising.

I don't want to put the young boy down but it's easy to read too much into such comments.

I read it as saying he is doing really well right now.

I hope it keeps going, and I wish him nothing but good.

That said, we heard last year that Grant was going to play a significant number of games. With AFL football there is many a slip twixt cup and lip, in the end he managed one game.

I hope they both do much better than that this year.

LostDoggy
19-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Doc26, sorry to hear about that, but, please don't take this the wrong way, but if you really want to know what's going on, refer to WOOF. I'd back us 100 times out of a 100 to be up to date with info like this.

I went along & spent more time talking with people than watching.

Robert Murphy is always nice to talk to, just moved into a house in Ivanhoe so Arthur now has a garden to run around in. Murph said since he's had the cyst removed from behind a tendon in his knee he's pain free & moving like his old self. Very comforting to hear.

I met Matthew Panos' parents who are delightful. Matthew is living with a host family in Hoppers Crossing & his Dad is already aware of WOOF.

Met many WOOFERS there this morning; P Webb, Da Druid, DoDoggies, cyberdoggie (good luck next week on your wedding Alex), Andrew P6, phantomdog, The Dogs Bollocks, Sockeye Salmon, Schnookie & The Underdog. Certainly a well represented group today.

There were quite a few people taking photos so hopefully they find their way on here soon.

Enjoyed the day too and the after training BBQ went down well at the Shnookies place. The BBQ'd Lamb Butterfly Roast lasted less than a DaDruid Rhyme. Looking forward to the season launch. Was Gr8 to finally put faces to names on here. Catch ya'all soon. some pics up on flicka under phigjam

stefoid
20-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Why would you assume that?

He is a mature player, but he is a quick outside player with a penetrating kick as far as I have read on big footy.

Twodogs
20-01-2010, 12:41 PM

Aker is awesome with the time he spends with kids. I took my son (who had idolised him even when he was at Brisbane) to meet him pretty much the first time he turned up at the club. Aker told him stories of the GFs he'd played in, how training and preperation were important in life and made my little boy look him right in the eyes-he has (well had) a very bad habit of looking away when he talking.

Aker is a legend!

Twodogs
20-01-2010, 12:47 PM

Heh! My son and daughter are always very impressed whenever dad heads off to dinner with Rocket. The little bloke always has a heap of questions for him.

always right
20-01-2010, 01:48 PM
For someone so young he is well put together. Good upperbody and strong legs. Unlike most tall players his age, physically he is ready to play and moves really well. Just hoping he has the ability to match.

LostDoggy
20-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Had a look at some, good photos there Jodie. Just wondered how Seb is up close with the players? Really shy? or more relaxed..does he ask questions? and specifically Barry Hall? :)

I remember taking my sister to a game last year and Mitch Hahn gave her a Hat or something after the game (shes 13) and she just froze and smiled..star struck probably..even im a bit like that sometimes..haha

LOL, yeah he does get a bit shy. Definately star struck. Although as the morning wore on he got more comfortable going up to ask players to sign his hat or jumper by himself. As he gets a bit older and has more encounters with them I'm sure he'll talk up a bit.
Funny you should ask cause he had a couple things he wanted to say to Aker, but froze a little bit at the time. He did managed to get a handshake and a hi-5 with Aker though.
As for talking to Barry, well it was difficult for anyone to talk to him cause the second he walked out of the rooms he was swamped. The little kids were lucky that Barry could even see them all the way down toward his knees :p

LostDoggy
20-01-2010, 08:17 PM
The good news is that I managed to get my mate to convert from the bombers to the bulldogs. The final clincher was attending the family day, getting his photo taken with Barry Hall and finally...having a chat with Rocket. Rocket has a great manner with people

Really good to hear about your bomber mate.
He hath seen the light from yonder Kennel doth break,
For thee Cup win doust cometh for thine Dogs to take.

BulldogBelle
20-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Some late photo's.

Breakfast with Eade.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5888/dscf2612i.jpg

Who my dog was named after!

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/7628/dscf2619y.jpg

The wife cracking on to Big Bad Baz.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1319/dscf2640z.jpg

KT31
21-01-2010, 12:24 AM

Did you happen to mention a couple of hopeful scholarships for the pups ?

Twodogs
21-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Some late photo's.

Breakfast with Eade.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5888/dscf2612i.jpg

Who my dog was named after!

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/7628/dscf2619y.jpg

The wife cracking on to Big Bad Baz.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1319/dscf2640z.jpg

You're a lot younger than I was expecting TBB.

BulldogBelle
22-01-2010, 04:50 PM
You're a lot younger than I was expecting TBB.

You should see me after l have had a few drinks!

Thats the youngest. Turned 6 that very day.

Bulldog Revolution
23-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Aker is awesome with the time he spends with kids. I took my son (who had idolised him even when he was at Brisbane) to meet him pretty much the first time he turned up at the club. Aker told him stories of the GFs he'd played in, how training and preperation were important in life and made my little boy look him right in the eyes-he has (well had) a very bad habit of looking away when he talking.

Aker is a legend!

Really terrific to hear Twodogs - I know how I idolised Royal, Hardie, Wallis, McGuinness and co when I was a kid

To me a player that is prepared to give a bit of themselves when talking with kids is one that gets it

The early impressions I have of Barry Hall in this department are also very positive

LostDoggy
25-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Some late photo's.

Breakfast with Eade.

Great Pics :) :D

LostDoggy
25-01-2010, 05:23 PM
My fav's so far
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4278699084_aecd467578.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2488/4277963479_81c02fd52c.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4280499454_44554d0375.jpg