PDA

View Full Version : Inside the Kennel Christmas Show

LostDoggy
10-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Just wondering if there are many people on WOOF going to the show tonight? Haven't been to one before myself.

Mantis
10-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Didn't even know it was on.

I expect a detailed report form you DaDruid, so stay off the plonk. :D

The Coon Dog
11-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Looking forward to hearing from anyone who attended.

LostDoggy
11-12-2009, 03:43 PM
The first panel featured Christian Howard, Jason Tutt, Lukas Markovic and Shane Thorne, and they were very impressive. None of them are short on confidence and they spoke well in a genuinely amusing discussion. The highlights:

Howard – Missed Rocket’s call on draft night and wished he had answered that one to make a better first impression; is currently staying with Lindsay Gilbee (both were passed out this afternoon on beanbags on the lounge room floor because the couch hasn’t arrived yet); wanted to move to Melbourne to play footy; expects that his dad has already leased his bedroom to a Scandinavian couple; will wear number 30 next year.

Tutt – Played in the same team that James Hird played in before being drafted to Essendon (he pointed out that Hird kicked five goals in the team’s grand final and he kicked three); is living with Rohan Smith for the year; meat pies after training have been replaced by protein shakes; he’s happy living in ‘the big smoke’ even though he only had three days to get down here; will wear number 34 next year.

Markovic - When asked from the floor who he would kick to if Hall and Johnson both led at the same time, he said he didn’t know as one was the captain who’d yell at him and the other would beat him up; will wear number 37 next year.

Thorne – Is currently living with Jason Akermanis; hopes that his family (he has a two and a half year old daughter) will be here in two or three weeks; Brad Johnson was the first person from the club to call him after he was drafted (the other three were called by recruitment staff); he said that Darwin is so laid back that if you don’t want to do anything you can just do nothing, which is why he almost quit footy when his daughter was born; he thought he might not be drafted because other good talent in Darwin wasn’t being selected during the draft that he thought would go before him; will wear number 43 next year.

The second panel featured Rodney Eade, Daniel Giansiracusa and Barry Hall. Gia didn’t contribute much for the simple reason that there were more interesting people on either side of him. Barry Hall was forthright and gracious on the panel and engaging with fans requesting photos and autographs at his dinner table. He didn’t say a lot that he hasn’t said before, but I thought he acquitted himself well at his first Bulldog engagement.

Rocket was far more interesting. The highlights:

- He commented on how confidant the four new kids were (he arrived halfway through their panel and was laughing a few times with Hall at what they were saying). He said it was confidence and not cockiness and that that was a good thing. He and Gia joked about how timid the draftees from two years ago were in comparison.

- The group has come back well. He believes the maturity of the group has grown again and that, coupled with the individual improvement of players like Cooney, Higgins and Murphy, will be the reason we improve next year.

- He hasn’t reviewed the last game yet with the players as he wanted to see how they approached training on their own. Matthew Boyd tore threw one group at training for not working had enough on Wednesday and he thought that was a positive sign. The group is heading to Ocean Grove this week so they’ll talk more then.

- Giansiracusa, Cooney and Higgins are training well.

- We will not be taking a full complement of rookies at Tuesday’s draft for financial reasons. A meeting will take place on Monday to see if we take three or four selections. Malcolm Lynch is unlikely to be rookied by the Bulldogs and may be drafted to Port Adelaide. Patrick Rose will not survive at AFL level as a small forward (he’s a small marking target like Matthew Robbins was – not a goal sneak) so the question is whether he is good enough to be able to push into the midfield of an AFL side.

- There isn’t a lot of talent available in the rookie draft.

- The club has identified the need for a small crumbing forward who can rove the packs as the only forward in our team capable of that at the moment is Jason Akermanis.

- He was happy with who the club got at the national draft. Howard and Tutt have been selected to fill holes that will open in the list in three years time when Gilbee, Hargrave and co. approach the end of their careers.

- The young players (first three years) went on a ‘toughen up’ camp in the bush two or three weeks ago with an SAS veteran. They were told it was a beach trip (Mulligan brought his boogie board) but instead they had a very rough couple of days with only three hours sleep at 4:30a.m. Since the trip, Jarrad Grant, Brennan Stack and Andrejs Everitt have really improved around the club. Everett came back from the break in good condition.

- Liam Jones showed excellent leadership on the ‘toughen up’ camp. Rocket believes that he can be a player.

- Peter German is a good addition to the club. He’s the sort of coach who looks players in the eyes and says exactly what’s on his mind without holding anything back. He was the VFL coach of the year and our young list will benefit from him coaching Williamstown.

- The Bulldogs now have 32-33 quality players on our list.

- When talk in 2008 suggested that Daniel Kerr was leaving West Coast, the Bulldogs thought /hoped/suspected that Sydney would be prepared to trade Barry Hall to us then to free up room in their salary cap.

- Rocket took a broad sword to Josh Hill when asked about his condition after the holidays. He called him fat, said his skin fold test could have been done with barbeque tongs and made no attempt to hide how disappointed he is with Josh. Hill has also incurred the wrath of his captain. To make matters worse, Hill may have been taking short cuts with his eating to try and catch up and that has left him unwell and even further behind the group. Rocket said that Everett, Wood and Addison are all after Hill’s spot and Hill has left the door wide open. Rocket conceded that, in hindsight, it may have been a good idea to drop Hill to Williamstown a few games before the finals so he could rediscover his form before the end of the year.

Apart from that; the mains were good, the Pavlova was ok, the stick date pudding was crap and the wine wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be (for some reason it kept improving with each glass I drank). I’ve been to the last three Christmas dinners and have no hesitation in recommending them. They are very enjoyable nights.

hujsh
11-12-2009, 03:55 PM
- The young players (first three years) went on a ‘toughen up’ camp in the bush two or three weeks ago with an SAS veteran. They were told it was a beach trip (Mulligan brought his boogie board) but instead they had a very rough couple of days with only three hours sleep at 4:30a.m. Since the trip, Jarrad Grant, Brennan Stack and Andrejs Everitt have really improved around the club. Everett came back from the break in good condition.

That well and truly deserves a lol.:D

LostDoggy
11-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the great report on the evening The Rocket!! A most enjoyable read indeed. :)

LostDoggy
11-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Don't know what you had for a main Rocketman but the Chook was as tough as a Rooster, the Sticky date at least had some icecream unlike the pav that had Mock cream. All in all was a Good Night and fun was had by all. Baz is looking forward to hearing more of the chant.
And Believe it or Not--- DaDruid & I weren't drunk when we arrived (for once) and weren't when we left

The Pie Man
11-12-2009, 04:28 PM
- Rocket took a broad sword to Josh Hill when asked about his condition after the holidays. He called him fat, said his skin fold test could have been done with barbeque tongs and made no attempt to hide how disappointed he is with Josh. .

Great write up TR, comprehensive!

And that bit from Rocket re: BBQ tongs, GOLD!!! :D

BulldogBelle
11-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks for that report.

A good read.

LostDoggy
11-12-2009, 05:40 PM
- Rocket took a broad sword to Josh Hill when asked about his condition after the holidays. He called him fat, said his skin fold test could have been done with barbeque tongs and made no attempt to hide how disappointed he is with Josh. Hill has also incurred the wrath of his captain. To make matters worse, Hill may have been taking short cuts with his eating to try and catch up and that has left him unwell and even further behind the group. Rocket said that Everett, Wood and Addison are all after Hill’s spot and Hill has left the door wide open. Rocket conceded that, in hindsight, it may have been a good idea to drop Hill to Williamstown a few games before the finals so he could rediscover his form before the end of the year.

Needs a kick up the arse, or are there deeper problems?

Mantis
11-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Needs a kick up the arse, or are there deeper problems?

Sounds like if he needed a 'rocket' he has definitely got it.

It will be interesting to see how he responds over the next few months.

The Coon Dog
11-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I do believe Rocket has organised for Mick O'Loughlin to come down & have a chat with Josh Hill.

BulldogBelle
11-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Can I ask of what Johnno roughly said about Hill? Or was it just the generic ''yes its disappointing but hopefully he can work harder in the preseason...etc etc"

Max469
11-12-2009, 06:30 PM
I had a chat with Gia and said he looked bored - his reply was it wasn't about him. he was happy to talk about his daughter and his cousin who is getting married tomorrow - the latter one because we have dealings with his cousin though work and his cousins twin I used to work with.

Probably could have gotten away with rocket and Hall only, as I felt a bit uncomfortable for Gia. Just my thoughts.

Thought the new kids did just fine, had a bit of joke and acquitted themselves against Kevin Hillier. As Rocket said a pretty confident lot.

Seem to have their priorities right at this stage any way.

Hillier told Tutt that Johnno would probably ring him and tell him that Smithy "was mine".

I found my meal fine and I had the chicken - mine wasn't tough.

A usual a good night, a good chance to meet the newbies and meet with regulars.

The Pie Man
11-12-2009, 06:39 PM
I do believe Rocket has organised for Mick O'Loughlin to come down & have a chat with Josh Hill.

This is a good move - worthy winner of the Madden medal too

Would be a shame if he destructed in self-pity and wasted his talent

BRING IT ON
11-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Its disappointing to hear that about " Sticky " Hill , maybe he felt that he had the talent to play at AFL level and had made the 22 and he could relax a little. If he does'nt push himself hard in the pre-season , and is unable to meet or exceed the set targets for his condition by January/ February I don't expect to see him featured in the 22 till round 7 or 8 . I really like the way "Sticky" Hill plays but you don't make the 22 on talent alone, hard work and confidence will put your name on the list.

ratsmac
11-12-2009, 08:04 PM
thanks alot, that was an enjoyable read.

LostDoggy
11-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Cheers Suz, Pie Man & Dogs Bollocks. Happy to help.

I had the steak Shnookie. Not half bad.

Hill could learn a lot from Mick O'Loughlin. You don’t play 300 games of AFL football without knowing how to apply yourself.

Players have come back from the break out of shape before. Wasn’t Rocket irritated with Cal Ward last year? Hopefully Hill will catch up the right way. I can’t imagine his Christmas lunch being particularly tasty this year.

Scraggers
11-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks 'The Rocket' ... a great read

AndrewP6
11-12-2009, 10:29 PM
I would've been a bit letdown by Gia's token appearance. If the other people were more interesting, why'd they bother having him there at all?

Remi Moses
11-12-2009, 10:52 PM
basically it's a gathering of get to know the recruits. Good move to get Micky O to have a chat with Josh Hill,he seems to have the sad sads. Gotta be better than that Josh:(:(

ronmcd
11-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks to 'The Rocket' for an excellent read of news from inside the kennel. As a new member on WOOF, any detail provided helps to build a better picture of the Club. On that note, any pics or footage of the Kennel Christmas Show???

LostDoggy
11-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Good on you The Rocket. Good read.

Mick O'L is a nice thought. Could have got a Claremont legend though couldn't they?

I'm looking forward to watching Josh in 2010 and wish him well.

LostDoggy
12-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Didn't even know it was on.

I expect a detailed report form you DaDruid, so stay off the plonk. :D

Looks like The Rocket beat me to it. Ill put up some pics to compensate when I've got it sorted. (Camera at home, I'm elsewhere)

LostDoggy
12-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks to 'The Rocket' for an excellent read of news from inside the kennel. As a new member on WOOF, any detail provided helps to build a better picture of the Club. On that note, any pics or footage of the Kennel Christmas Show???

Soon, my pretties, soon.

LostDoggy
12-12-2009, 12:23 AM
I would've been a bit letdown by Gia's token appearance. If the other people were more interesting, why'd they bother having him there at all?

Exercise in humility, Could it be?

LostDoggy
12-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the write up Rocket and co. A bit of concern for Hilly, we forget that he is just a kid, and not all kids respond the same way. He was dropped for the finals, and possibly took it hard, a bit of encouragement might be a better track to take.

LostDoggy
12-12-2009, 12:48 AM
I had the steak and the pudd. A pass on both but would not go back for thirds on the pudd unless there was more icecream with each serving.

AndrewP6
12-12-2009, 12:50 AM
Exercise in humility, Could it be?

Are you saying Gia has tickets on himself? Have you got inside knowledge??

chef
12-12-2009, 07:50 AM

Maybe to give the ladies something to look at.

Thanks 'The Rocket' awesome summary.

OLD SCRAGGer
12-12-2009, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE=chef;129804]Maybe to give the ladies something to look at.

He is rather good on the eyes:o:D

LostDoggy
12-12-2009, 09:49 AM
He is rather good on the eyes:o:D

He wouldn't need to talk to add value to that panel :p

LostDoggy
12-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Are you saying Gia has tickets on himself? Have you got inside knowledge??

I can remember an interview with Bob Murphy (it was the 60 seconds of questions from Dave Hughes if I recall) who was asked who spent the most time in front of the mirror at the club and his reply was 'Gia, easily.'

Go_Dogs
12-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Matthew Boyd tore threw one group at training for not working had enough on Wednesday and he thought that was a positive sign.

Since the trip, Jarrad Grant, Brennan Stack and Andrejs Everitt have really improved around the club. Everett came back from the break in good condition.

Love your work TR, very detailed and informative report. I just wanted to comment in particular on these points, as I quite liked reading them both.

1. Boydy, where do we start? He's the sort of bloke that is very uncompromising in his approach. He knows what he wants, he knows the work required to get there and he realises that he needs EVERYONE doing the required work to make it happen. Hopefully those he tore through are mature enough to learn, listen and appreciate what he had to say.

2. These 3 guys, Everitt, Grant and Stack are 3 of the more interesting guys we have coming through at the moment, and it's great to read they are gaining more confidence. Hopefully they can really build hard over the remainder of the pre-season as I'd love to see them all get more senior game time next year.

Bulldog Revolution
12-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Interesting to hear DaDruid

I dont think we should be too hard on Hill - he's a young guy and he's still trying to deal with the fall out from the AFL finals series. He was a good performer last year, and I suspect after all these Rockets he will also need to be shown a bit of love

Its not like we dont have other players on the list who have taken a while to really grasp what being a professional is all about

LostDoggy
12-12-2009, 11:39 AM
As promised, a few photos from the night. On the left of the Photobucket page is a link to the plcs. I'm still on my Techno L-plates.

http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af72/DaDruid_photos/

ronmcd
12-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Great follow up DaDruid - loved the pics - brilliant stuff. Didn't know Aiden O'Shea, the young Irish guy, was training with the lads (no 4 of 11)??! Thought the scouts in Ireland were just keeping an eye on him - could have got that wrong though. Anyway, great pics

AndrewP6
12-12-2009, 01:16 PM
He wouldn't need to talk to add value to that panel :p

This thread is becoming a bit "Footy Show-esque"... ;)

LostDoggy
12-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Nice read up thanks for that, hopefully Hill can work it out as he has a ton of talent he just needs some time.

soupman
13-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Great follow up DaDruid - loved the pics - brilliant stuff. Didn't know Aiden O'Shea, the young Irish guy, was training with the lads (no 4 of 11)??! Thought the scouts in Ireland were just keeping an eye on him - could have got that wrong though. Anyway, great pics

I'm pretty sure the player featured in pic 4 is Christian Howard, and Aiden O'Shea isn;t in shot.

O'Shea is pictured in one of the Bigpond shots though to the left of the group looking in pain (it's the one with Tutt at the front, who looks like a midget. He is tiny).

LostDoggy
13-12-2009, 02:24 PM
1. Boydy, where do we start? He's the sort of bloke that is very uncompromising in his approach. He knows what he wants, he knows the work required to get there and he realises that he needs EVERYONE doing the required work to make it happen. Hopefully those he tore through are mature enough to learn, listen and appreciate what he had to say.

Captain material x 100 :)

LostDoggy
13-12-2009, 07:23 PM

Thanks, still learning how to use both the camera and software that 's required to manage it all. Don't have computer at home so totally reliant upon friends and internet cafes. Mohawk becomes endangered at times due ro constant hair pulling incidents.