View Full Version : Andrew Hooper

Cyberdoggie
15-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Our Second selection is Andrew Hooper:

Height: 172cm
Weight: 78kg
DOB: 18/01/91
Recruited from: Golden Point/North Ballarat Rebels
Bio: Attacking midfielder/defender who wins his own football consistently. Starred for Vic Country at NAB AFL U18 Championships, averaging 21 disposals including nine contested. Joint Larke Medal winner and U18 All-Australian. 2.90sec 20m and 7.98sec agility both in top 5 per cent at Draft Camp.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87017/default.aspx

Bulldog Revolution
15-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Looks like he has strong hands from the video highlights

mighty_west
15-12-2009, 01:37 PM
_9HyRbxP8TQ&feature=related

Dancin' Douggy
15-12-2009, 01:37 PM
He looks like a little ripper! Gut says he will make it.

GetDimmaBack
15-12-2009, 01:40 PM
He's confident, a nice kick and seems a genuine ball winner. Good pick up!

Cyberdoggie
15-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Tough little nuggity player,

We'll see how he performs against men!

The Bulldogs Bite
15-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Very glad we picked him up!

Love the way he plays. Nonstop effort, tough over the ball, takes them on and tackles hard. His kicking is good enough at U18 level but I think it needs to improve for senior football. He won't get as much time as he does against players his own age. Perhaps the thing that will decide whether or not he'll make it is if he can adjust to playing against men. If he can, then he could carve out a career as a nuggety BP type.

He's got some good attributes to work with though so I think this is a solid selection.

lemmon
15-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Looks like a tough, little, nuggety bastard with good pace. Runs the lines well and his intensity looks very good. Skills need a polish though and he didnt look completely settled with ball in hand but their are definitley good signs there.

lemmon
15-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Love the build as well, ready to go now from the looks of him.

Scorlibo
15-12-2009, 05:58 PM
He was the Larke Medallist wasn't he? He has a pretty shocking ball drop and is small, but he goes like anything and is a smooth mover. In the Aaron Joseph mould I would think.

lemmon
15-12-2009, 06:05 PM
He was the Larke Medallist wasn't he? He has a pretty shocking ball drop and is small, but he goes like anything and is a smooth mover. In the Aaron Joseph mould I would think.

A few clips in that video had me questioning how long he had been playing footy for, his handling of the footy isnt great. Cant doubt his hardness so hopefully he can develop into a ball winning mid/back pocket player.

Go_Dogs
15-12-2009, 07:22 PM

Yes, won the Larke Medal.

I'm happy with this selection, and think he could become a good option up forward or down back. Runs pretty fast, and attacks the ball. Reminds me a little of Harbrow with some of his attributes, although not as silky or as smooth a mover amongst other obvious differences.

LostDoggy
15-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Larke medalists are more miss than hit, there are few 'no names'. Some notable ones include Sam Power, Kane Pettiffer, Ben Setchell & Pat Steinfort. Some better ones are Salmon, Kolynuik, Paul Williams, Danny Southern & Halseby.

Pedro Sanchez
15-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Reminds me a little of Jordan McMahon... Hard, tough, full of muscle and loves the contest...

Just quietly taking the p@*s in the line above... More like a young Mark Johnson and Dougie Barwick - nice get!

dog town
15-12-2009, 10:50 PM
I remember watching him a few times and thinking "how brave and tough is this bloke...pity he wont get drafted". Quite happy to take a punt on him. What position he plays at AFL level is a concern but he has the chance now so good luck to him.

Remi Moses
15-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Reminds me a little of Jordan McMahon... Hard, tough, full of muscle and loves the contest...

Just quietly taking the p@*s in the line above... More like a young Mark Johnson and Dougie Barwick - nice get!

Nice i thought the same:p:p

BRING IT ON
15-12-2009, 11:45 PM
I actually think he plays like an Inside MidFielder version of Brad Hardie

Sockeye Salmon
16-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Poor man's Tim Callan.

BRING IT ON
16-12-2009, 12:49 AM
It's good to see some media coverage of him

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2009/12/15/2772431.htm

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2009/11/25/136211_country-footy.html

Good Luck Andrew , enjoy your football

lemmon
16-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Poor man's Tim Callan.

Is that knock largely due to his skills or are there other factors?

comrade
16-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Poor man's Tim Callan.

Tim Callan isn't mobile or smart enough to play as a small forward, which is exactly where Dalrymple sees Hooper in the future.

Bulldog Revolution
16-12-2009, 08:12 AM
http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/afl-rookie-draft-rebels-hooper-and-nuggets-prato-selected/1705353.aspx

The Coon Dog
16-12-2009, 08:39 AM
http://www.thecourier.com.au/multimedia/images/full/661630.jpg
North Ballarat Rebels utility Andrew Hooper tries on his new colours yesterday after being picked up by the Western Bulldogs in the AFL rookie draft.

stefoid
16-12-2009, 10:17 AM
He looks a bit of a blunt instrument, but who knows what a preseason or two is going to do for his burst and agility? Could be a terror in the forward line.

Mofra
16-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Defensive forward is right - doesn't seem to have the clean handling of others so not sure about goalsneak.
Might be a more defensive version of Matty Robbins, both built like roided-up midgets.

To be honest, I think Picken could play the role better so we'll have to give the kid a year or two.

Cyberdoggie
16-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Andrew was just on SEN radio, i missed most of it but Matt Granlan was hyping up what a story it was that he was selected etc.

Some points they mentioned:

*Dual Larke medalist winner
*Country boy
*Did his first training session today with the Bulldogs
*Was a bit nervous being around Aker and Hall etc.
*Granland asked whether he would be sparring with Barry Hall, didn't seem too keen on that
*He is going to Torquay on the weekend for a training camp, back tuesday.
*Looking to get noticed next year at Willy and hopefully get on the senior list.

Seems like he has a good head on his shoulders as well.

Best of Luck to him.

soupman
16-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Anyone else reckon he looks a bit like Samwise Gamgee from LOTR's?

Sockeye Salmon
16-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Is that knock largely due to his skills or are there other factors?

Skills, ball handling, size and build.

I'd be surprised if he kicks on, but he's a rookie, they're all a surprise if they kick on.

Go_Dogs
16-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Defensive forward is right - doesn't seem to have the clean handling of others so not sure about goalsneak.

I will say based on the (limited) footage I have seen, his snap kicking seems to be his best as far as working a ball to a good spot - also a couple of snap goals on the run. His standard drop punt when he has some pace built up is a bit suspect, but something that can certainly be improved.

The ball handling aspect would be the major question mark like you say, as crumbers can't be fumblers. His attack on the ball and body, and speed are certainly big ticks though.

LostDoggy
17-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Anyone else reckon he looks a bit like Samwise Gamgee from LOTR's?

Great call Soup. :D