PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Rose

Cyberdoggie
15-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Our 5th and final selection is (number 68) Patrick Rose from Williamstown.

No surprises here really.

Height: 183cm
Weight: 82kg
DOB: 10/06/86
Recruited from: Williamstown (VIC)
Bio: Medium-sized forward who can play as either a leading target or as a crumbing small. Great goal sense and a very accurate set shot. Kicked 38 goals in 19 games, including bags of eight and five in consecutive weeks for Williamstown. Solid all round performer at Victorian screening with 2.96 sec 20m (top 20 per cent) and level 14.2 beep test (top 26 per cent).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87127/default.aspx

Bulldog Revolution
15-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Deserves the shot, straight out of the Liam Picken handbook in terms of having done everything he can to earn his opportinity

From good Bulldog stock, I'm pleased we've given him the chance

Mofra
15-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Despite taller players around him, at Willy he attracted quite a bit of delivery into the F50 simply because of his timing & workrate. The VFL Brad Johnson in a way.

comrade
15-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Despite taller players around him, at Willy he attracted quite a bit of delivery into the F50 simply because of his timing & workrate. The VFL Brad Johnson in a way.

Pretty much spot on.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Looking forward to seeing if Rose can replicate Pickens transition to AFL football because he's a very good VFL player. All the best to him.

wend1604
15-12-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm glad he is getting an opportunity. I hope he does well.

Greystache
15-12-2009, 03:45 PM
14.2 in the beep test is also very impressive from a small forward in the VFL.

vho
15-12-2009, 04:25 PM
The VFL games that i have watched, Patrick Rose stood out because of his cleverness. Could he turn out be a player similar to Stephen Milne with more consistency?

alwaysadog
15-12-2009, 05:12 PM
The VFL games that i have watched, Patrick Rose stood out because of his cleverness. Could he turn out be a player similar to Stephen Milne with more consistency?

Cleverness and Milne in the same paragraph? If Milne had a brain he wouldn't be Milne.

The thinking man's Milne doesn't compute either.

Let's just hope at AFL level he has Milne's skills but with a brain.

Go_Dogs
15-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Pretty much spot on.

I guess the question is, how good a player can he become in an AFL environment? Will he be an improved player in the faster game, with (hopefully) much improved delivery?

If he turned out to be about a 1/4 as good as Brad (which would mean he'd have to play about 100 games I guess!) I'd be stoked.

The Coon Dog
15-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Couldn't help myself.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/Presentation2-1.jpg

A Thorne between two Roses! ;)

The Doctor
15-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Couldn't help myself.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/Presentation2-1.jpg

A Thorne between 2 Roses! ;)

nice one :D

azabob
15-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Couldn't help myself.

A Thorne between 2 Roses! ;)

Thanks for the laugh TCD!!

soupman
16-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Just on Rockets comments regarding Rose having to be able to play midfield as well, does this potentially open up the full forward role for a Grant in the Willy seniors? To the best of my knowledge Williamstowns typical structure has been Little and Rose out of the goal square, with other players playing further up the ground, including Grant who has been playing a half forward type role which many say he isn't suited to.

If Rose plays more midfield at VFL level that means a spot leading out of the goal square opens up, which is potentially Grants. Hopefully Rose's rookieing not only see's him grow as a player but also allows Grant to prove himself in what seems to be his natural position.

mighty_west
16-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Just on Rockets comments regarding Rose having to be able to play midfield as well, does this potentially open up the full forward role for a Grant in the Willy seniors? To the best of my knowledge Williamstowns typical structure has been Little and Rose out of the goal square, with other players playing further up the ground, including Grant who has been playing a half forward type role which many say he isn't suited to.

If Rose plays more midfield at VFL level that means a spot leading out of the goal square opens up, which is potentially Grants. Hopefully Rose's rookieing not only see's him grow as a player but also allows Grant to prove himself in what seems to be his natural position.

If Grant worked harder, he'd make those positions his own, the problem for him is that Little & Rose work that much harder than Grant does, and they get themselves in far better positions, they just know where & when to run where's Grant seems to get lost at times, thus having to be played in different positions.

Grant has played quite alot in the square, he just hasn't made that position his yet, and he won't make the grade until he does!

Rocco Jones
16-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Couldn't help myself.

A Thorne between two Roses! ;)

I am in love with that post.

boydogs
16-12-2009, 10:37 PM

That's having a bit both ways I think, saying Rose should be played away from his favoured position to help him develop but that Grant shouldn't. IMO playing Grant up the ground where he will not be as productive for Willi to assist his development shows that it is not just about winning games down there, they are also happy to help develop our players. This is a good sign for the prospects of getting them to play Rose as a mid.

Slightly off topic, I reckon Willi will be pretty happy with some of our mature age recruiting, you'd think there will be some pretty strong Willi sides fielded next year