PDA

View Full Version : A Day Out With The Beard Society

LostDoggy
20-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Attention all Ben Hudson Beard Appreciation Society Members.

A motion has been received and carried for a gathering of Society Members take place at an as yet determined round of the upcoming football season (please refer to the Ben Hudson Beard Appreciation Society thread for motion details). Could all shirt wearing Members please notify on this thread their intent to attend. As many Victorian members have reserved seating for home games, I personally see an away game in Melbourne as the best opportunity for the Society to all sit together as one. All we need to do now is decide which round is most widely available to be attend by the maximum amount of Members. Please post with your preferences here and a decision will be by consensus at a later stage.

The Underdog
20-12-2009, 02:31 PM
What about the first away game in Rd 2 against Richmond at the MCG? It's a 4.40 Sunday game so plenty of time to meet up beforehand. Either that or maybe the Rd 7 Friday night against Melbourne also at the G. Bound to be plenty of space to sit together for that one.

ledge
20-12-2009, 03:07 PM
i like the sunday game, 2nd game, still nice weather, 1st vote for that one.

Twodogs
20-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Yep, round two is the best time I reckon. Spend the afternoon getting pissed and then the evening being abusive to Richmond supporters.

hujsh
20-12-2009, 03:52 PM
When i saw this thread in the forums page i thought someone had spent "A day out with the Beard" and was going to share their magical adventures with us.

The Underdog
20-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Yep, round two is the best time I reckon. Spend the afternoon getting pissed and then the evening being abusive to Richmond supporters.

Sounds like heaven.

LostDoggy
20-12-2009, 06:47 PM
As a proud wearer of the shirt, I look forward to hanging out with fellow wearers of The Shirt, anywhere, anytime, anyhow.

But, Round 2 does sound nice :D

LostDoggy
20-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Sounds like a great idea..

Usually for a Richmond game I would sit with a Richmond supporter listening to him whine about how every decision is unfair and how every mark Richo doesn't take deserved to be a mark..

Bring on round 2 :D

Drunken Bum
20-12-2009, 11:04 PM
would love to be there but me and my shirt will be in Cambodia for the whole footy season :/

firstdogonthemoon
24-12-2009, 06:14 PM
I love being a member of an Anarcho-Syndicalist Autonomous Collective

ledge
24-12-2009, 07:47 PM

How about we all sit one seat apart from each other pretending not to know each other thus the collective is not an issue?

Twodogs
27-12-2009, 12:40 PM

Oh oh! Can we we take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week? So long as all the decisions of that officer are ratified at a special biweekly meeting. By a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs and a two thirds majority in changes to the constitution.

ledge
27-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Meet at FDOTMs house?
Him being the founding member he supplies all drinks and nibblys.

LongWait
27-12-2009, 01:58 PM
I'll move heaven and earth to be there. Round 2 sounds like the go.

A question on protocol: my shirt is only a couple of weeks old and is still virginal. I should break it in before Round 2, or am I just being silly?

comrade
27-12-2009, 07:03 PM
I'll move heaven and earth to be there. Round 2 sounds like the go.

A question on protocol: my shirt is only a couple of weeks old and is still virginal. I should break it in before Round 2, or am I just being silly?

A BHBAS shirt is like a wild stallion - let that baby out of the stable and let it run free.

LongWait
29-12-2009, 04:01 PM
A BHBAS shirt is like a wild stallion - let that baby out of the stable and let it run free.

Thanks Comrade - I'll take it out for a spin on the weekend - frighten a few tourists.

LostDoggy
30-12-2009, 08:27 PM
It has been shown that Round 2 vs. Richmond is a clear winner in the voting stakes. I've had a special mohawk in mind for that round. Beard Society Day At Footy will be icing on cake.

Round 2 for me!

LostDoggy
30-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Sounds Good - We will be there ;) Round 2 sounds great - before it gets too cold! How can I get a shirt small enough for Seb?!!

LostDoggy
30-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Sounds Good - We will be there ;) Round 2 sounds great - before it gets too cold! How can I get a shirt small enough for Seb?!!

Try this link, not sure about sizes though. http://www.redbubble.com/people/firstdog/t-shirts/3895237-1-the-greatest-woof-post-of-all-time-on-a-t-shirt

LostDoggy
07-01-2010, 11:26 AM
What about the first away game in Rd 2 against Richmond at the MCG? It's a 4.40 Sunday game so plenty of time to meet up beforehand. Either that or maybe the Rd 7 Friday night against Melbourne also at the G. Bound to be plenty of space to sit together for that one.

It's also Easter Sunday, so no work the next day. Good choice. :)

LostDoggy
08-01-2010, 11:36 PM
would love to be there but me and my shirt will be in Cambodia for the whole footy season :/

That's where I watched the 07 and 08 seasons. 5 games a weekend on TV, I saw more footy OS than I ever do in Oz.

LostDoggy
09-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Looking better all the time with a day off after, Now all I need is a Shirt!!!! Where does one procure and is it compulsory to have a beard? Please note that I do appreciated, admire, & Honour THE BEARDED ONE

The Coon Dog
09-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Looking better all the time with a day off after, Now all I need is a Shirt!!!! Where does one procure and is it compulsory to have a beard? Please note that I do appreciated, admire, & Honour THE BEARDED ONE
http://ih1.redbubble.net/work.2959773.4.ts,482x482,silver,mens,fafafa.jpg

Click the link below to order one.

Chins Without Beards Deserve No Honour T-Shirt (http://www.redbubble.com/people/firstdog/t-shirts/2959773-4-chins-without-beards-deserve-no-honour)

LostDoggy
11-01-2010, 11:25 AM
http://ih1.redbubble.net/work.2959773.4.ts,482x482,silver,mens,fafafa.jpg

Click the link below to order one.

Chins Without Beards Deserve No Honour T-Shirt (http://www.redbubble.com/people/firstdog/t-shirts/2959773-4-chins-without-beards-deserve-no-honour)

Just ordered mine!
Start growing those beards guys....

Drunken Bum
11-01-2010, 08:06 PM
That's where I watched the 07 and 08 seasons. 5 games a weekend on TV, I saw more footy OS than I ever do in Oz.

sweet, i was a little concerned about having to download the games because the internet here sucks. any recomendations on where to watch, is it just on regular cable or you had to go to bars to watch? i'm in Phnom Penh at the min and most likely be staying here or maybe Sihanoukville.

LostDoggy
13-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I do hope that all our members are actively promoting both the Society and the Day Out. The more, the merrier!!

Mofra
13-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Ah dammit, the end of festival season, busy that weekend.

LostDoggy
15-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Have ordered my shirt and one for my son to proudly wear around the Brisbane nightclubs. He's sure to pick up now:D

jazzadogs
16-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Have ordered my shirt and one for my son to proudly wear around the Brisbane nightclubs. He's sure to pick up now:D
If he grows a beard as fearsome and awe-inspiring as The Beard, he sure is.

AZHawkie
29-01-2010, 11:13 AM
If anyone would like to spot me the air fare from Phoenix to Melbourne, I'll be happy to be there. Does anyone know any other Americans with the shirt? I wear it proudly.

Oh oh! Can we we take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week? So long as all the decisions of that officer are ratified at a special biweekly meeting. By a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs and a two thirds majority in changes to the constitution.

Come and see the violence inherent in the system!! :cool:

LostDoggy
03-02-2010, 11:28 AM
I do hope that all our members are actively promoting both the Society and the Day Out. The more, the merrier!!

I emailed Hamish Blake about the BHBAS as he was being ribbed on Fox FM the other day about growing a beard.....haven't heard anything back yet!!! I wonder if her checked it out?! ;)

LostDoggy
03-02-2010, 11:31 AM
At the East Meets West day the other week, we asked Cooney if he'd be sporting the beard again this year too..... the answer was "Nope, Mrs. won't let me!!" :D

LostDoggy
03-02-2010, 10:19 PM
I emailed Hamish Blake about the BHBAS as he was being ribbed on Fox FM the other day about growing a beard.....haven't heard anything back yet!!! I wonder if her checked it out?! ;)

Good work Jodie, nothing like a bit of media to get the hairball rolling! Especially if they are follically aligned to our cause. Who's Hamish follow? Anyone?

LostDoggy
04-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Good work Jodie, nothing like a bit of media to get the hairball rolling! Especially if they are follically aligned to our cause. Who's Hamish follow? Anyone?

Not Sure, but I have a feeling Cartlon (that might be Andy actually) or may Richmond or Essendon??? Ok I'm just guessing now! ;)

LostDoggy
15-02-2010, 12:34 PM
A lovely red long-sleeved In Beard We Trust arrived from RedBubble for the big day!

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Day Out With The Beard Society Event Update

To all those attending the Day Out With the Beard Society Day in round 2, and do not have a growth on their chin, I have obtained 50 costume beards at a reasonable price ($5 each) for you to wear on the day. When the Society has settled on the finer details for the charity day that is tentatively planned later in the season, I have been assured of an even larger discount will applied to the beards we will be selling with the provision of a copy of the DGR certificate of our nominated charity/fund. So ends my report.

The Coon Dog
16-03-2010, 01:35 PM

To all those attending the Day Out With the Beard Society Day in round 2, and do not have a growth on their chin, I have obtained 50 costume beards at a reasonable price ($5 each) for you to wear on the day. When the Society has settled on the finer details for the charity day that is tentatively planned later in the season, I have been assured of an even larger discount will applied to the beards we will be selling with the provision of a copy of the DGR certificate of our nominated charity/fund. So ends my report.

Da Druid, I think you need to liaise with firstdogonthemoon on the logistics. I understand he's heading off in a different direction.

firstdogonthemoon
16-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Legendary! You have found beards! OK - I reckon it should be a good warm up for the ACTUAL DAY - One question though - are they large red costume beards? We want to be as authentic as possible.

Another question, do we want the cat out of the bag at this point? Is it too soon? Will we tip our hand and perhaps be gazumped by another beard society?

I'm not too fussed either way.

One thing though - I reckon the beards should sell for $15 if you are getting them for $5. That's just me though.

The Underdog
16-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Legendary! You have found beards! OK - I reckon it should be a good warm up for the ACTUAL DAY - One question though - are they large red costume beards? We want to be as authentic as possible.

Another question, do we want the cat out of the bag at this point? Is it too soon? Will we tip our hand and perhaps be gazumped by another beard society?

One thing though - I reckon the beards should sell for $15 if you are getting them for $5. That's just me though.

Why don't we use the Beard Society catch up to throw a few ideas around and work out some responsibilities etc?
I think it'll probably be a little early to let the cat out of the bag unless you think that is enough time to alert the club and get permission, alert the nominated charity if it's decided by then and get the Beard's permission.

Nice work Da Druid on sourcing beards btw.

LostDoggy
17-03-2010, 11:49 AM

Point 1 - The beards are similar to my own as seen in Sunday Age and other threads on WOOF and they are a ruddy, reddy brown much like the real deal.

Point 2 - I could charge extra but will not do so without approval of BHBAS and all involved.

LostDoggy
17-03-2010, 06:32 PM
I have the first Beard T-Shirt - on the day of Easter Sunday at the round 2 clash against Richmond is everyone wearing the 'Beard we trust' shirt? I had intention to purchase this at some point this year, is it best to get it now so I dont look out of place with the Chins without beards deserve no honours-look. Looking forward to more details of this upcoming day..

Also I will purchase a fake beard :D

LostDoggy
18-03-2010, 01:57 PM
I have the first Beard T-Shirt - on the day of Easter Sunday at the round 2 clash against Richmond is everyone wearing the 'Beard we trust' shirt? I had intention to purchase this at some point this year, is it best to get it now so I dont look out of place with the Chins without beards deserve no honours-look. Looking forward to more details of this upcoming day..

Also I will also purchase a fake beard :D

Noted and reserved!

BulldogBelle
21-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Sounds good!

The Underdog
29-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Well it appears that next week is what we have to look forward to now, which means the Beard Society's first get-together to close a very long week and signal new beginnings. Beardy beginnings...
Obviously we need a pub close to the G.

A few I've come up with reflecting my obvious Eastside bias with possible downsides listed:
Corner- too closed?
Richmond Club - too crap?
Cricketers Arms - too small/hard to get into?
All Nations - too latte?
The titty bar on punt rd - too diabolically sad?
The Mountain View - too obviously lacking in views of Mountains?
Riverland - too hip?
Transport - too "$6 for a pot, seriously?"

Anyone else got any ideas?
2.30 kickoff gives a reasonable amount of drinking time I would have thought.

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 01:25 PM
What about Luke Darcy's pub across from Richmond train station, the Promenade, I think that's it's name?

aker39
29-03-2010, 02:16 PM
What about Luke Darcy's pub across from Richmond train station, the Promenade, I think that's it's name?

The Precinct

The Coon Dog
29-03-2010, 02:23 PM
The Precinct

Isn't that the pub that wont let you wear 'club colours' on match day?

Mantis
29-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Isn't that the pub that wont let you wear 'club colours' on match day?

I think that only applies after the completion of the game.

ledge
29-03-2010, 06:19 PM
So lets get this right beards on sale at the richmond game, where is the intended sale and meeting area at the game as being easter sunday i will not have time to meet at a pub before the game.

LostDoggy
30-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Beard Update. I have collected the costume beards and will be at the Precinct Hotel from about 3:00pm until around 4:00pm for beard collection. After that, you can catch up with me at the MCG wherever we shall be sitting. Where that is, I do not know just yet. Will post as soon as we know. Long live the Beard!

Attention!! Remember all, this is a twilight game with a 4:40 kickoff.

LostDoggy
30-03-2010, 01:35 PM
I think that only applies after the completion of the game.

Correct!

LostDoggy
30-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Oh Man, I'm sooooo spewing we can't make it. Sound like it's gonna be a great get together. We'll be watching on from Phillip Island and hoping to see you all on telly!
Wish we were going to be there too.
Have a Beardy Ball everyone!!!!! :D
Don't forget to give us a wrap up after the game ;)

Incidentally - I had my 'In Beard we Trust' T-shirt on at the game last sunday.....except it happens to be a white shirt with black printing :( so wasn't happy about that - had to add some badges to give it some R,W&B!
My hubby was wearing his Red 'Chins without beards....' on sunday too and we are on the boundary right where the boys end their warm up walk when on the bench - Huddo came right up and gave Ben a wink, a sweaty grin and a nod when he saw it AND then proceeded to do the open mouth drinking to mimic the shirt. Was hilarous :D and only we got it what he was doing!!!!

LostDoggy
31-03-2010, 10:52 AM
My hubby was wearing his Red 'Chins without beards....' on sunday too and we are on the boundary right where the boys end their warm up walk when on the bench - Huddo came right up and gave Ben a wink, a sweaty grin and a nod when he saw it AND then proceeded to do the open mouth drinking to mimic the shirt. Was hilarous :D and only we got it what he was doing!!!!

I too kept seeing that image as he went up and down past me. Huddo and the Beard had an almost Messiah-like look at times with the cold towel draped over Huddo's head. If anyone got some good pics of that, I can smell another shirt in the making!!

On another follicle point, would Huddo's hairstyle qualify as a mohawk? Let me know your opinions.

LostDoggy
01-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Beer is really expensive there!!!

LostDoggy
03-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Happy Easter beardites!

Any more word on what's happening with the Beard Shirts?

Hotdog60
03-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Sounds like a lot off fun, can someone take a few pics to share the event for us interstate and overseas members.;)

BornInDroopSt'54
03-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Have you thought about toupees and mowhawks for us more follically challenged members? The false beard would give the toupee a certain legitimacy.

ledge
04-04-2010, 11:27 AM
This is the day of resurrection. All hail the beard!

LostDoggy
04-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Wont' be able to come pre-game, hope its a good meetup, looking forward to the big coming together against Freo.