PDA

View Full Version : Favourite jumper numbers from years gone by

Mitcha
31-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Started this on the "other site" and movement has been a bit slow so let's see if we can't whip thru some legends from days gone by, self explanatery as per below,

Ok guys it's the off season and I am bored beyond belief.
In the style of the three word story, I propose that we list a player in the number they wore at the club during previous seasons.
They must have played senior footy and you must give a reason why you named them and a nickname if known.
Once a player has been named they cannot be named again and when we get to the end we go back to number one and start over again.
This thread could get us through a week of the off season or die a slow and painful death
I will kick it off with number,
1. Simon Minton-Connell because he looked the most unlikely looking AFL footballer and could not mark overhead but had a surprisingly good record at AFL level in terms of goals per game average. Known to team mates as "Loaf".
Who's up for number 2?

azabob
31-12-2009, 12:27 PM
2. Steve Kolyniuk

A small stocky type forward pocket half forward who from memory didnt mind a bit of the rough and tumble. One of his more famous moments would've been when he kicked a goal near the end of the game to defeat Collingwood. Did he run around Graham Wright in the early 90's?

Nickname was Billy the Kid - Just guessing but could've been because he made his debut at a young age?

LostDoggy
31-12-2009, 12:59 PM
3. Mark Kellett

I remember him because when I started going to the footy I inherited an old Footscray guernsey from my cousin. it had no. 31 on the back. Kelvin Templeton had left, so I had to choose between no. 1 & no. 3. I chose no. 1, but I won't say who it was - he can be named in another round!!!! ;)

Can't recall a nickname for Mark Kellett though.

The Coon Dog
31-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Can't recall a nickname for Mark Kellett though.

His nickname was Captain.

#4 - Peter Welsh

Has his number on my very first Footscray jumper.

165 Games - 92 goals.

Recruited from Yarraville Socials.

Nickname was 'Spider'.

Spoke with enormous passion at the Fightback Rally in 1989. Got more involved with the club from there & was on the Board. Had the awful job of ringing Terry Wheeler on New Years Day 1990 & informing him that Ron James had passed away.

LostDoggy
31-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Always had 7 and then 3. I miss Douggie and I really miss Granty!

Twodogs
31-12-2009, 04:28 PM
#5 is Bruce Reid

Bruce Reid proves that the we were ripped us off badly when the AFL changed the F/S rule. Reid now has two sons on AFL lists. He played 50+ games for us and until a few years ago his sons were eligible and we could have had both of them for third round picks, Ben went to Collingwood with pick 8 and Sam went to the Swans with pick 37 this year.

I spit on every person who complained about Geelong getting GAJ and Hawkins cheaply. The ones who endlessly whinged until the AFL changed the number of games and then bought in the ridiculous and corrupt nomination system that we have now deserve to have their cars firebombed and their dunny doors kicked down by packs of rampaging emus.

OLD SCRAGGer
31-12-2009, 04:46 PM
#6 : GEORGE BISSET:

Georgie, was a dynamo little rover..until he went to bloody Collingwood!! He SHOULD have won the brownlow the year Kevin Murray won it, I remember the last game of season against Carlton at Princes Park, a fight broke out and little Georgie ran from 1 wing to the other to throw a punch, was reported, got off, but because umps had reported him he didn't get any votes that game and he was BEST on ground by a country mile, cost him the medal.:mad:

The Coon Dog
31-12-2009, 05:07 PM
#6 : GEORGE BISSET:

Trish, when I saw you were up next with #6, I thought for sure you'd talk about Jack Sands! :D

OLD SCRAGGer
31-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Trish, when I saw you were up next with #6, I thought for sure you'd talk about Jack Sands! :D

:D:D SMART AR@E, not quite that old...who the heck is Jack Sands anyways???:confused:

Twodogs
31-12-2009, 06:07 PM
who the heck is Jack Sands anyways???:confused:

I'm guessing it was someone that TCD went to school with.:D

The Coon Dog
31-12-2009, 06:48 PM
:D:D SMART AR@E, not quite that old...who the heck is Jack Sands anyways???:confused:

He wore #6 when we first entered the VFL in 1925; you may have been at boarding school then! ;)

The Coon Dog
31-12-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm guessing it was someone that TCD went to school with.:D

No, the guys I wet to school with wore 36 (Darren Brown), 48 & 19 (Zeno Tzatzaris) & 31 (Phil O'Keefe).

Twodogs
31-12-2009, 07:03 PM
No, the guys I wet to school with wore 36 (Darren Brown), 48 & 19 (Zeno Tzatzaris) & 31 (Phil O'Keefe).

I reckon that Braybrook has provided twice as many VFL/AFL footballers than any other junior club in Australia.

Anyway #7 Ray Huppatz. Wore the great number just before the Hawk and worked at Footscray council with my dad.

The Coon Dog
31-12-2009, 07:13 PM
#7 Ray Huppatz. Wore the great number just before the Hawk and worked at Footscray council with my dad.

Huppatz once had a crack at Aboriginal umpire Glenn James when he found a bone on the ground. He gave it to James & said that "you might as well have this, you've been going like a dog all day". James famously retorted, "be careful, I might point it at you"!

Plenty of good number 8's for someone to work with.

OLD SCRAGGer
31-12-2009, 07:33 PM
He wore #6 when we first entered the VFL in 1925; you may have been at boarding school then! ;)

You just keep having you're laughs at my expence Barry, I'm not built like an elephant for nothing...I NEVER FORGET!!!!:D:D:D

Twodogs
31-12-2009, 07:35 PM
You just keep having you're laughs at my expence Barry, I'm not built like an elephant for nothing...I NEVER FORGET!!!!:D:D:D

I'm just waiting to see how game you are Baz!

Twodogs
31-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Plenty of good number 8's for someone to work with.

Yep, it's a very underrated number when you consider how we revere #s 3 and 7.

It's the tough guy number at our club.

The Coon Dog
31-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm just waiting to see how game you are Baz!

Do the words 'Thank your Mother for the rabbits' mean anything to anyone? :p

Twodogs
31-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Do the words 'Thank your Mother for the rabbits' mean anything to anyone? :p

Scaredy cat!

Mitcha
31-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Come on guys, back on track. What we have so far,
1 - Simon Minton-Connell
2 - Steve Kolyniuk
3 - Mark Kellett
4 - Peter Welsh
5 - Bruce Reid
6 - George Bissett
7 - Ray Huppatz
Who's up for number 8?

The Coon Dog
01-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Rick Kennedy #8

Nickname: Tits

As tough as they come. Had white line fever for sure. One of the nicest guys you could ever wish to meet off the field, but a homicidal maniac on it.

Played full back as full backs used to play it, by making the full forward earn every kick. Played on the likes of Lockett, Dunstall, Kernahan & Quinlan.

strebla
01-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Les Bamblett #9

Nickname:Lally

Unbelievable forward pocket played closely to Simon Beasley was so quick in the first ten meters god I loved him

Injuries and weight gain cut him down way too early but I still smile when I think of him

(I know this will surprise you Coon Dog I thought of doing P Hudson as a joke)

chef
01-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Brett Montgomery #10

Nickname - Monty

A player that I loved watching(even at Port) and i was really pissed off when he got traded(and i think it affected our team to:(). Hard running and high flying, he played above his 180cm height. Came back to the club and wore #43 for a season and a bit. Hollands hit on him in that final and then Monty getting up and kicking four goals is something i will never forget.

LostDoggy
01-01-2010, 02:03 PM
8 Danny Southern!!!!!

Sockeye Salmon
01-01-2010, 04:30 PM
8 Danny Southern!!!!!

#8 Ian Morrison

#9 Our very own Laurie Sandilands. What a goalsneak!

Mitcha
01-01-2010, 06:26 PM
What we have so far,
1 - Simon Minton-Connell
2 - Steve Kolyniuk
3 - Mark Kellett
4 - Peter Welsh
5 - Bruce Reid
6 - George Bissett
7 - Ray Huppatz
8 - Rick Kennedy
9 - Les Bamblett
10-Brett Montgomery
Who's up for #11

GVGjr
01-01-2010, 06:50 PM
#11 - Tony McGuinness - Freddie, midfielder extraordinaire.

A long racking left foot kick and a high level of fitness meant he was a hard midfielder for opposition sides to curb.
We lost him to the new Crows side and was a huge loss for us.

lemmon
01-01-2010, 06:57 PM
#11 - Tony McGuinness - Freddie, midfielder extraordinaire.

A long racking left foot kick and a high level of fitness meant he was a hard midfielder for opposition sides to curb.
We lost him to the new Crows side and was a huge loss for us.

Beat me to it, though I did have Daniel Bandy:o. Granted he may not have been as high a standard as McGuinness he was always a favourite of mine as an 8 year old.

GVGjr
01-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Beat me to it, though I did have Daniel Bandy:o. Granted he may not have been as high a standard as McGuinness he was always a favourite of mine as an 8 year old.

I nearly wrote about Bandy just for the hell of it. Whilst many will disagree I thought he was OK for us.

The Pie Man
01-01-2010, 07:13 PM
I nearly wrote about Bandy just for the hell of it. Whilst many will disagree I thought he was OK for us.

Half way through his first season for us, he was the recruit of the year. BOG in a win vs Richmond at the G*, wins vs the Tigs always a highlight for me. :D

* was this the Libba/Knights incident game?

Twodogs
01-01-2010, 08:03 PM
What number are we going to before we turn around and start at #1 again? I can think of a couple of well known players who wore numbers in the 60s when they played their first few games.

The Coon Dog
01-01-2010, 08:16 PM
What number are we going to before we turn around and start at #1 again? I can think of a couple of well known players who wore numbers in the 60s when they played their first few games.

I would imagine you would do 49, then 50+.

Sockeye Salmon
01-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Half way through his first season for us, he was the recruit of the year. BOG in a win vs Richmond at the G*, wins vs the Tigs always a highlight for me. :D

* was this the Libba/Knights incident game?

Couldn't have been.

I saw the Knights thing from the Southern Stand, I saw Bandy take 15 marks from the members.

The Underdog
02-01-2010, 08:44 AM

I'd imagine you'd want to get to 51 at least (the one thing I loved about Koops short career at the club was him wearing 51 as a mark of respect to Magic, I'd love to see us hand that number down to a young aboriginal player to keep it going)

OLD SCRAGGer
02-01-2010, 10:12 AM
#12: COLIN DELL

Nickname: Ding Dong

Not a great footballer, more of you try hard goer, but a sensational bloke. Said he chose #12 because he wanted to be 1/2 the footballer Gary Dempsey was!!:):)

Okay Coon Dog, I know you want to tell me, who wore # 12 in 1925?????

The Coon Dog
02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Okay Coon Dog, I know you want to tell me, who wore # 12 in 1925?????

You mean you don't remember George Bayliss? :p

The Pie Man
03-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Couldn't have been.

I saw the Knights thing from the Southern Stand, I saw Bandy take 15 marks from the members.

I shouldn't be so lazy - just checked it, Bandy took 13 marks and kicked 4 goals vs Richmond 1st June 2002. The Libba incident was in 2001

Both good days...they were wins at the G over the Tigs after all

Mitcha
03-01-2010, 12:49 PM
13. Glenn Gingell.
Started with the Dogs in the early 70s with number 37 but played his last couple of seasons in 13. Recruited locally from Kingsville and played 50 or so games mainly on a wing and still seen running the streets of Williamstown regularly, unsure of a nickname, anyone?.

The Coon Dog
03-01-2010, 01:19 PM
13. Glenn Gingell.
Started with the Dogs in the early 70s with number 37 but played his last couple of seasons in 13. Recruited locally from Kingsville and played 50 or so games mainly on a wing and still seen running the streets of Williamstown regularly, unsure of a nickname, anyone?.

I remember he had red hair & I think a beard. Was runner up once in the Gardiner Medal to Carlton's Alan Mangels in 1976.

always right
03-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I remember he had red hair & I think a beard. Was runner up once in the Gardiner Medal to Carlton's Alan Mangels in 1976.

I remember him getting 40 posessions in the reserves one day...unheard of back then. Classic case of being too good for the magoos but not good enough for the seniors.

always right
03-01-2010, 04:43 PM

David Allday

Ruckman recruited from Melbourne in the late 80's. May have been the inspiration for Ben Hudson's beard.

Allday was an average ruckman with no overhead skills and no physical presence. He was a beauty.

Hotdog60
03-01-2010, 07:14 PM
#15 Scott Wynd

http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/images/swynd.jpg

A great captain of the club and 1992 Brownlow Medallist

Nickname I'm not sure

bornadog
04-01-2010, 10:28 PM
#15 Scott Wynd

http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/images/swynd.jpg

A great captain of the club and 1992 Brownlow Medallist

Nickname I'm not sure

Rowdy?

Mitcha
05-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Chris Burton
Played his first season in number 36 but played remainder of his time with us in #16.
Good player who played onball and found the footy regularly but for some reason was off-loaded to Richmond. Returned to the club when he was our runner for a number of years under Wallace. Nickname was Pommy and a is a good bloke.

OLD SCRAGGer
05-01-2010, 01:51 PM
#17: Graham (Graeme) Ian

Nickname: ????

Graham played back in the 60's (no Barry, not the 1860's). along with his brother Barry (who wore number 21). From my early childhood memory he played wing. Seviceable player

LostDoggy
05-01-2010, 04:20 PM
#18 - Simon Beasley

Was the full forward during my childhhod. Kicked over 100 goals in 1985, reached the ton in the semi final V North Melbourne at the MCG. Also kicked a fantastic goal V Collingwood at the Western Oval in the dying seconds to win us the game. (One I'll never forget!!)

Nickname: Pieman

The Coon Dog
05-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Also kicked a fantastic goal V Collingwood at the Western Oval in the dying seconds to win us the game. (One I'll never forget!!)

Here you go Suz.

9k5rTNZWqZA

Sockeye Salmon
05-01-2010, 09:04 PM
#18 - Simon Beasley

Was the full forward during my childhhod. Kicked over 100 goals in 1985, reached the ton in the semi final V North Melbourne at the MCG. Also kicked a fantastic goal V Collingwood at the Western Oval in the dying seconds to win us the game. (One I'll never forget!!)

Nickname: Pieman

Beasley, pfft.

We've had better no. 18's than him, say circa early 70's?

always right
06-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Beasley, pfft.

We've had better no. 18's than him, say circa early 70's?

What did happen to you Sockeye...by memory your career ended prematurely. You went back to Gippsland and played didn't you?

bornadog
06-01-2010, 09:02 PM
#25 - Jeff Jennings, loved him as a young teenager.

Max469
06-01-2010, 09:28 PM
#25 - Jeff Jennings, loved him as a young teenager.

So did I - even before he played for us.

My hero...

The Coon Dog
06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
I think some folk are getting this thread a little confused.

It's about former players & their numbers in order. Up to #20.

It's not just who was your favourite player (& what their number was).

LostDoggy
06-01-2010, 10:25 PM
#19 Adam Contessa

Tough hard footballer, gave his all when playing the game. One of those little annoying taggers, that all clubs hate.

Nickname: ?

I know he has one, but i just can't put my finger on it.

Sockeye Salmon
06-01-2010, 11:01 PM
What did happen to you Sockeye...by memory your career ended prematurely. You went back to Gippsland and played didn't you?

Retired at 23. Couldn't afford to stay in Melbourne and be a footballer, had to go home to the farm.

Times have changed a bit, huh?

strebla
06-01-2010, 11:03 PM
#19 Adam Contessa

Tough hard footballer, gave his all when playing the game. One of those little annoying taggers, that all clubs hate.

My nickname for him was the contester god he tried hard not a great talent but a huge huge heart:)

Hotdog60
06-01-2010, 11:08 PM
# 20 Jim Edmond

http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/images/JEdmondFoot.jpg

Nickname 'Jock'

I remember him taking Richmond apart in the 1st quarter, kicked 5 goals I think.

LostDoggy
06-01-2010, 11:56 PM
21 Stephen Power.
Very agile player in the 70's from what I remember.
Think his nickname was 'Snapper'

OLD SCRAGGer
07-01-2010, 08:13 AM
[QUOTE=JH40;132516]#19 Adam Contessa

Nickname: ? ANGRY

Mitcha
07-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Correct

Mitcha
07-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Ted Whitten Junior.
Nickname-Ferrett.
Was a great player in his own right despite having to live up to massive expectations.
Unfortunately retired at 25 years of age after injuring a knee severley in a bushfire relief game. Was recruited locally and after finishing his playing career was on our match comittee for a while under Terry Wheeler. The year Templeton kicked the ton I reckon half of them were delivered lace out to him from young Teddy.

OLD SCRAGGer
07-01-2010, 01:29 PM
#23 : Stewert Magee

Nickname:?????

First played for South Melbourne in late 60's. Was captain of the Doggies after Teddy Whitten. From memory played mainly in midfield, was a VERY serviceable player for us.

BulldogBelle
07-01-2010, 11:07 PM
#24 Steve Wallis

Wally I believe was his nickname...

Hopefully his son will give the #24 another 200+ games from next year

Mitcha
08-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Matthew Mansfield
Left footer recruited from Tasmania but missed a lot of footy due to injury, unsure of a nickname but was best remembered for constantly wearing a guard on his forearm which was occasionally used on opponents heads. Good bloke and back living in the west after some coaching stints up country.

Bulldog4life
08-01-2010, 01:26 PM
#17: Graham (Graeme) Ian

Nickname: ????

Graham played back in the 60's (no Barry, not the 1860's). along with his brother Barry (who wore number 21). From my early childhood memory he played wing. Seviceable player

Hate to be picky but it was Graham Ion. Played Centre Half Forward. Actually his brother Barry was a DJ with 3kz while he was playing with us. He was a Half Back Flanker.

OLD SCRAGGer
08-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Hate to be picky but it was Graham Ion. Played Centre Half Forward. Actually his brother Barry was a DJ with 3kz while he was playing with us. He was a Half Back Flanker.

ION: OOPs: Dyslexic fingers.

DJ Barry, I knew that.

Mitcha
08-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Danny Del-Re
Recruited from Williamstown under Terry Wheeler and had quite a sucessful return to AFL footy kicking big bags of goals including 8 against the Pussies in a final, played about 60 games kicking over 130 goals. Not sure of an official nickname but do recall some banners hanging proudly at the MCG during the 92 finals series declaring "Danny Del-Re, the Wizard of Snoz"

BulldogBelle
08-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Ahhhhh Danny Del De

I remember the ball bouncing off his chest several times when he was about to take a chest mark out in front

I always wanted to breed a new bulldog

A Danny Del Re Minton Connell- the benefit of the breed was that the dog wouldnt drop a chest mark or overhead mark, and would be a fantastic shot at goal

Seriously......Danny rocked in 92

LostDoggy
09-01-2010, 12:35 AM

STEPHEN MACPHERSON

Nicknames: Super, Supa (many spelling variations), Macca (I'm sure Steve had many more nicknames)

Steve was recruited to Footscray in 1981 from Clarence, Tasmania, along with his brother Rod.

Played 188 games between 1982 and 1995.

Was coached by Royce Hart, Don McKenzie, Bluey Hampshire and Michael Malthouse.

Represented Tasmania 5 times in the State of Origin, playing alongside Rodney Eade.

Currently coaches Greenvale in the Essendon District Football League.

LostDoggy
09-01-2010, 12:11 PM
..Played Centre Half Forward. Actually his brother Barry was a DJ with 3kz while he was playing with us. He was a Half Back Flanker.

Curley was too short for a key position. He spent a lot of time playing as a decoy full forward to Gus Baxter and the resting Ted Whitten. Barry became quite famous in S A as an Adelaide breakfast anouncer.

Bulldog4life
09-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Curley was too short for a key position. He spent a lot of time playing as a decoy full forward to Gus Baxter and the resting Ted Whitten. Barry became quite famous in S A as an Adelaide breakfast anouncer.

Possibly. Although I remember going to the 1961 Gand Final and Ion played centre half forward. Our full forward in those days was Jack Slattery.

Happy Days
10-01-2010, 12:13 AM
#19 Adam Contessa

Can hit a big ball on the cricket pitch as well.

LostDoggy
10-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Possibly. Although I remember going to the 1961 Gand Final and Ion played centre half forward. Our full forward in those days was Jack Slattery.

I'm drawing from the seasons post 1961. The club went out and recruited bigger forwards after then, Gus Baxter, Rod Coutts, Frank Johnson, John Bradley, who played as a defender, the replacement for Hoiles from memory. Gus was the best but didn't arrest the slide down the ladder throughout the rest of the '60's.

Hotdog60
10-01-2010, 12:05 PM
# 28 Paul Dimattina

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2009/03/30/20030720NE_NEWS-WIDE_-344PX_F1493933_60238.JPG

A member of the bulldogs 'Wog Squad', Dimma played 131 games for the Doggies.

I think I remember reading about him also being deaf in one ear.

OLD SCRAGGer
10-01-2010, 02:13 PM

Grant Simmons

Nickname: ???? (Simmo maybe )

Grant was a tall athletic guy, blonde. Saw him get knocked out by Leigh Matthews one day at VFL Park Waveley, took a fit on ground, not very nice to see.

Sockeye Salmon
10-01-2010, 04:48 PM

Grant Simmons

Nickname: ???? (Simmo maybe )

Grant was a tall athletic guy, blonde. Saw him get knocked out by Leigh Matthews one day at VFL Park Waveley, took a fit on ground, not very nice to see.

Oh, come on. No 29 has to be Neil Cordy!

Did Twodogs ever tell you about the time ...

Sedat
11-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Oh, come on. No 29 has to be Neil Cordy!

Did Twodogs ever tell you about the time ...
I'm very much looking forward to Twodogs' nomination for #34 and the accompanying story behind it :D

LostDoggy
11-01-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm drawing from the seasons post 1961. The club went out and recruited bigger forwards after then, Gus Baxter, Rod Coutts, Frank Johnson, John Bradley, who played as a defender, the replacement for Hoiles from memory. Gus was the best but didn't arrest the slide down the ladder throughout the rest of the '60's.

Curly Ion played centre half forward pre and post 1961 - absolutely undersized for the position but so was Baldock.

Fine player who earned a Big V jumper.

Gus Baxter played mainly at Full Foward, Rod Coutts in the ruck and forward pocket, Frank Johnson was CHF but lasted five minutes.

LostDoggy
13-01-2010, 08:33 AM
30. Don McKenzie. Another undersized forward from the '60's. Took over as coach from Billy Goggin. Both player and coach for the club.

LostDoggy
13-01-2010, 03:53 PM
30. Don McKenzie. Another undersized forward from the '60's. Took over as coach from Billy Goggin. Both player and coach for the club.
Ross Abbey was number 30 as well, I really like him. I see him at game now.

The Coon Dog
13-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Ross Abbey was number 30 as well, I really like him. I see him at game now.

I remember him blind turning & kicking 'goal of the day' during our first win under Royce Hart at Fitzroy in 1980.

LostDoggy
13-01-2010, 04:33 PM
I remember him blind turning & kicking 'goal of the day' during our first win under Royce Hart at Fitzroy in 1980.
If the coach was Royce Hart, it would most likely be our first and ONLY win.

mighty_west
13-01-2010, 05:33 PM
There would be a massive uproar & woof protest if number 31 didn't goto:

KELVIN TEMPLETON

Absolute champion, my first real Doggies hero as a kid, had his number on the duffle coat etc etc, unfortunatly his knees were shot and was shipped off to the Dees.

Nickname : KT

Superstar!

LostDoggy
13-01-2010, 05:35 PM
There would be a massive uproar & woof protest if number 31 didn't goto:

KELVIN TEMPLETON

Absolute champion, my first real Doggies hero as a kid, had his number on the duffle coat etc etc, unfortunatly his knees were shot and was shipped off to the Dees.

Nickname : KT

Superstar!
Here ! Here !

Ozza
13-01-2010, 05:52 PM
For number 32 - I want to post Adam Morgan - as an obscure one - by the Peter Foster fan club on here will create to much of an uproar!! (so this is an 'unofficial post').

Special mention to Adam's game at Full back v Brendan Fevola when he trounced the big Fev and just about kept him kickless!

mighty_west
13-01-2010, 06:18 PM
For number 32 - I want to post Adam Morgan - as an obscure one - by the Peter Foster fan club on here will create to much of an uproar!! (so this is an 'unofficial post').

Special mention to Adam's game at Full back v Brendan Fevola when he trounced the big Fev and just about kept him kickless!

I was wondering who 32 would goto, i couldn't decide between Fossie & Mocca.

The Coon Dog
13-01-2010, 06:27 PM
I was wondering who 32 would goto, i couldn't decide between Fossie & Mocca.

No love for Horse?

mighty_west
13-01-2010, 06:39 PM
No love for Horse?

Everytime i think of Ellis, i keep thinking....ELEPHANT, ELEPHANT, ELEPHANT, not the type of thoughts or vision i need running through my mind...

That said, i'd probably have Dunstan slightly ahead of Foster, with Ellis a tusk behind [yeah ok, that was bad!]

GetDimmaBack
13-01-2010, 08:17 PM
After all of that, are we ready for #33 yet?

Who would you prefer - Brian Royal or Cristin Macri?

Choco has to be one of the unluckiest players of all time: 199 games, 299 goals.
Still love some of the old replays, seeing him burst out of the middle and deliver deep into the forward line.
Always thought he'd get a gig as a senior coach...

Macri came from Leongatha in South Gippsland, worked hard and managed to play a handful of games. Not sure where he went post Doggies.

LostDoggy
14-01-2010, 11:29 AM
I thought the idea of this thread was to name just ONE player for each number each round? Make us think a bit harder next time we get to that number. ;)

And I must say that Peter Foster did not get the post he so rightly deserves!! So I'll break the rules & go backwards!!

No. 32 - Peter Foster.

Great centre half back, lovely bloke, awarded a goal that was clearly a point at the Western Oval, had his leg broken & career prematurely ended by that nasty Paul Dear from Hawthorn. :mad:

Nickname - Fossie.

No. 34 please. :)

Sockeye Salmon
14-01-2010, 01:37 PM
I thought the idea of this thread was to name just ONE player for each number each round? Make us think a bit harder next time we get to that number. ;)

And I must say that Peter Foster did not get the post he so rightly deserves!! So I'll break the rules & go backwards!!

No. 32 - Peter Foster.

Great centre half back, lovely bloke, awarded a goal that was clearly a point at the Western Oval, had his leg broken & career prematurely ended by that nasty Paul Dear from Hawthorn. :mad:

Nickname - Fossie. :)

That cost us a premiership. No way would Brownless have kicked bags of 8 or 9 on Fossie.

Twodogs
14-01-2010, 01:54 PM
#23 : Stewert Magee

Nickname:?????

First played for South Melbourne in late 60's. Was captain of the Doggies after Teddy Whitten. From memory played mainly in midfield, was a VERY serviceable player for us.

I dont remember his nickname but I can remember him playing at Yarraville in the VFA after he finished at Footscray. He missed a lot of games through injury but he was a very good player at that standard.

Twodogs
14-01-2010, 01:56 PM
If the coach was Royce Hart, it would most likely be our first and ONLY win.

We went on a Shane Loveless inspired splurge after that game and ended up winning more games than we lost for the rest of the season.

LostDoggy
14-01-2010, 05:45 PM
We went on a Shane Loveless inspired splurge after that game and ended up winning more games than we lost for the rest of the season.
WOW Shane Loveless, he could have been anything, if his head was in the right place.

LostDoggy
14-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I dont remember his nickname but I can remember him playing at Yarraville in the VFA after he finished at Footscray. He missed a lot of games through injury but he was a very good player at that standard.

Bit early for most of Footscray days. Being a Yarraville junior, saw a lot of Magee at Yarraville. Nickname there was Mags, I think. Him and Kevin Sait were red hot combo as midfielders. Both had Mark Fotheringham to kick to at full forward for a season or two as well. Played great game against Box Hill after getting head ripped off in first minute by someone running off half back line in 2nd Division Grand Final. Brave, fearless, natural leader by example.

LostDoggy
15-01-2010, 01:25 AM
So who gets the gig for no.34?

LostDoggy
15-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Was Jack Di Natale no 34?

LostDoggy
15-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Was Jack Di Natale no 34?

Di Natale !
Di Natale !
Di Nataleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee

Sockeye Salmon
15-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Whoopi!

LostDoggy
17-01-2010, 05:21 PM
35. Looks like we are up to #35. The polular Darren Baxter, son of Gus, tagger extraordinaire. He had the distinction of being traded to Hawthorn by another former wearer of 35.

Ozza
18-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Jose Romero.

With Dimma and Libba - Jose was part of the self proclaimed 'wog squad' from our fairly strong late 90's team.
Played 122 games for us after starting his career with North Melbourne as a small forward. Became a midfielder, and at times a tagger, with us after becoming supremely fit.

I remember that Jose used to spend a good portion of the reserves game doing laps around the oval - getting himself into a good sweat before the game because he liked to be off and running early and not have to work himself into the play. Didn't have great skills, but could find a goal and was a good competitor.

He is also a Club B&F - from memory he shared the award with Chris Grant in 1998...though I may have the year wrong.

Mitcha
18-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Ian Rickman.
Known as Chops and Recruited from Gippsland way. Played in the early eighties and remembered for kicking a lazy 7 at Arden Street against North. Failed to go on in league football but became a VFL legend with Williamstown.

Greystache
18-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Jose Romero.

With Dimma and Libba - Jose was part of the self proclaimed 'wog squad' from our fairly strong late 90's team.
Played 122 games for us after starting his career with North Melbourne as a small forward. Became a midfielder, and at times a tagger, with us after becoming supremely fit.

I remember that Jose used to spend a good portion of the reserves game doing laps around the oval - getting himself into a good sweat before the game because he liked to be off and running early and not have to work himself into the play. Didn't have great skills, but could find a goal and was a good competitor.

He is also a Club B&F - from memory he shared the award with Chris Grant in 1998...though I may have the year wrong.

He was indeed, but the year was '96 (understandably a forgettable year). There was always a rumour the votes were jigged a little at the end to ensure Chris Grant shared the award with Romero as an additional incentive for Grant to reject the newly formed Port Power's advances.

Sockeye Salmon
18-01-2010, 04:34 PM
He was indeed, but the year was '96 (understandably a forgettable year). There was always a rumour the votes were jigged a little at the end to ensure Chris Grant shared the award with Romero as an additional incentive for Grant to reject the newly formed Port Power's advances.

If the votes were rigged then it was done for the right reasons, Grant was unbelievable that year.

Romero was in the reserves for round 1 in 96. In round 2 he came into the side to tag Anthony Stevens and although we were smashed by 100+ pts (or so) Stevens hardly got a touch. A few weeks later Romero kept Greg Williams to 1 kick, which was a bullshit free 25 minutes into the last quarter.

Greystache
07-10-2010, 01:57 PM
*BUMP*

Mark Stevens in todays trade talk suggests we should get rid of the Bulldog on our current jumper and even go back to the original tri-colour design. What do we think?

Personally I like the old jumper and would be happy to see it back.

Today Stevo rates the AFL's best and worst jumpers and calls for the Dogs to adopt their 1954 flag strip.

FORGET the inspired decision to draft Stephen Hill ahead of Daniel Rich ... dropping the anchor is the best decision Fremantle has made in recent years.

The old purple, red, white and green guernsey (complete with stylised anchor) was a stinker.

Suddenly, the Dockers are the height of fashion after switching to a poweful dark purple jumper with strong and basic Vs in white coming down off the shoulders.

It is so good, the Dockers are now right up there on the "Best of the Jumpers" list.

Stylised logos are so 90s.

It is time to get back to basics and the Dockers have stolen a march on others.

Let's hope the Bulldogs take note. The stylised puppy on the front of their jumper is so 1997 ... sorry, Smorgo and Co, but its time it was torn off.

The time for animals on front of jumpers is gone. It worked as a nice gimmick in the early days of the Western Bulldogs "brand", but the Dogs should immediately go back to the simple, powerful 1954 jumper (one red stripe, one white).

It is the club's most famous jumper, synonmous with success. The fans would love it. Do it now, before you get caught totally out of fashion.

So here is the "Best of the Jumpers" list, from 1 to 17, including the atrocity that is the GC jumper.

1. CARLTON: Dark navy, white motif. Great mix. Powerful

2. MELBOURNE: Love the almost black blue and red. Kills the royal blue and red shocker of 80s.

3. COLLINGWOOD: Striking. Famous. No silly animals.

4. FREMANTLE: Controversial, yes, but suddenly makes Dockers look mean and a serious outfit.

5. ESSENDON: Dark. Mean. Looks great in long sleeves, too.

6. ADELAIDE: Mix of colours perfect. And simple.

7. PORT ADELAIDE: Designed by school kid. Keep it simple, please!

8. RICHMOND: Almost as good as Bombers. Red better than yellow.

9. ST KILDA: Traditional. Tick.

10. NORTH MELBOURNE: No good with white shorts.

11. GEELONG: Hoops not as good as stripes. Don't like new club logo.

12. SYDNEY: Not sure about the Opera House thing. OK, but better with old South jumper.

13. WESTERN BULLDOGS: Colours great. Puppy old hat.

14. HAWTHORN: No one's fault. Just that colours are rotten.

15. WEST COAST: Get rid of the Eagle. Shame its not velcro, Don Scott could do it for them.

16. BRISANE LIONS: Paddle pop lion no good.

17. GOLD COAST: Is that still their training jumper? Uninspiring.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tanks-for-the-premiership/story-e6frf9jf-1225933781665

The Coon Dog
07-10-2010, 02:01 PM
*BUMP*

Mark Stevens in todays trade talk suggests we should get rid of the Bulldog on our current jumper and even go back to the original tri-colour design. What do we think?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tanks-for-the-premiership/story-e6frf9jf-1225933781665

Probably the wrong thread there youngen! ;)

What's your favourite Bulldogs jumper? (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1264)

Greystache
07-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Probably the wrong thread there youngen! ;)

What's your favourite Bulldogs jumper? (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1264)

I had a look, it was the most relevant thread I could see. Thought it better than starting a new one.

PS hope you're feeling better.

bornadog
07-10-2010, 02:50 PM
*BUMP*

I agree with most of what Stevo says except I can't stand the Carlton jumper so wouldn't put it at number one.

THe robot dog must go

I prefer a darker blue like the 1944 jumper:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/jumper1944.gif

The Coon Dog
07-10-2010, 03:12 PM
I had a look, it was the most relevant thread I could see. Thought it better than starting a new one.

PS hope you're feeling better.

Thanks Greystache, I'm lucky, I have a good memory & know how to use the 'search' function.

Feeling a bit better, got released from hospital this morning. Just got to get rid of the cough.

Desipura
07-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks Greystache, I'm lucky, I have a good memory & know how to use the 'search' function.

Feeling a bit better, got released from hospital this morning. Just got to get rid of the cough.
Did not know you were unwell, hope you are on the improve.

Greystache
07-10-2010, 03:16 PM

Good to hear.

Yeah the search function and me don't seem to work in harmony too well. :(

Murphy'sLore
07-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Sorry to hear that, TCD. Hope you're feeling better soon.