PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs Top 10 Greatest Wins

Rocco Jones
17-01-2010, 06:41 PM
I have selected my top 10 greatest wins by the Western Bulldog and will post a count down every day I able to.

I have used 'Western' Bulldogs to have a bit of a cut-off, as well as being about to use youtube clips and the like. However, I would like posters to comment on any great win by the Doggies.

What a great win is is obviously pretty subjective but I tried to factor in the importance of the game (mainly at the time), how well we actually played, how exciting/entertaining it was and anything that was particularly special about it to the club.

Here goes....

10th

1997- Round 21: Western Bulldogs vs West Coast @ Whitten Oval

The Setting
Our last game at the Western Oval up against the Eagles. We were jostling for 3rd spot on the ladder in the old final 8. The Eagles were also finals bound.

The Result
Western Bulldogs 4.3 6.8 8.12 12.14 (86)
West Coast 1.1 2.5 5.6 10.8 (68)

The game was pretty ordinary and really wouldn't be anywhere near the top 10 if not for the fact that it was our last game at Whitten Oval and that is pretty bloody big imo. The other 'highlight' from the game was the pre-game roughening up of Michael Gardiner by a group of Bulldogs defenders.

The win helped secure us 3rd spot, huge after Geelong finished 2nd and lost their QF to send us straight into a Prelim (which I won't go into).

http://www.interdomain.net.au/~dcsports/images/whitten.jpg

Twodogs
17-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Given just how many great wins we've had maybe we should divvy the thread into "Western Bulldogs" wins and "Footscray" wins? That way we can double the amount of great wins we can talk about.

My nomination for the 10th best Footscray win was at Princes Park R1 in 1985. We'd been 'coming' for a couple of years. 1983 and 1984 were virtual golden ages after the destitution of the early '80s and late '70s but we still hadnt made the finals since 1976 with only two finals to show since 1961.

Preseason 1985 we'd had another fairly successful interstate recruiting campaign snaring Brad Hardie and Alan Daniels after picking up some pretty handy players and couple of out and out champions in the previous few years like Purser, Sewell, Beasley, Williams, the MacPhersons and MacLean. 985 we had to make the finals and we had to set the pace by beating Carlton at Princes Park for the first time since 1964;

Round: 1 Venue: Princes Park Date: 30-Mar-1985 2:10 PM Attendance: 27,059

Carlton 3.2 5.4 11.6 17.10 112
Footscray 3.2 9.3 17.7 22.10 142

Detailed Match Stats;

http://www.stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1985/030719850330.html

I can vividly remember Neil Cordy wrong footing his opponent, running down the ground and kicking the first goal of the season, Beasley going for marks with half a dozen defenders dragging along behind him and a little aboriginal kid called Lally bobbing up with a couple of goals. I left the footy happier that day than I'd left in years.

Youtube footage of the game;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJyB7GWA5o

The Pie Man
17-01-2010, 08:54 PM
I have selected my top 10 greatest wins by the Western Bulldog and will post a count down every day I able to.

I have used 'Western' Bulldogs to have a bit of a cut-off, as well as being about to use youtube clips and the like. However, I would like posters to comment on any great win by the Doggies.

What a great win is is obviously pretty subjective but I tried to factor in the importance of the game (mainly at the time), how well we actually played, how exciting/entertaining it was and anything that was particularly special about it to the club.

Here goes....

10th

Round 21: Western Bulldogs vs West Coast @ Whitten Oval

The Setting
Our last game at the Western Oval up against the Eagles. We were jostling for 3rd spot on the ladder in the old final 8. The Eagles were also finals bound.

The Result
Western Bulldogs 12.14 (86)
West Coast 10.8 (68)

The game was pretty ordinary and really wouldn't be anywhere near the top 10 if not for the fact that it was our last game at Whitten Oval and that is pretty bloody big imo. The other 'highlight' from the game was the pre-game roughening up of Michael Gardiner by a group of Bulldogs defenders.

The win helped secure us 3rd spot, huge after Geelong finished 2nd and lost their QF to send us straight into a Prelim (which I won't go into).

Couldn't have picked a better day to send off Western/Whitten Oval (jeebus it was cold) I do remember a long haired Nathan Brown having a snappd goal ruled out for a free kick against just before, Libba holding the ball up in Matera's face, and drinking Fosters Extra cans at the scoreboard end (Extra wasn't around for long)

Rocco Jones
18-01-2010, 01:42 PM
9th

2000- Round 19: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs @ Optus Oval

The Setting
Going into the game we were 6th and a game out of the top four but also only just a game inside the top 8.

The Blues were 3 games and heaps of percentage clear in 2nd place and had a brilliant record at Optus Oval.

We had injury problems with a group of regulars missing including Granty and Darcy, meaning Robert Murphy was in line to make his AFL debut.

The Result

Carlton 2.1 4.3 8.3 11.6 (72)
Western Bulldogs 2.3 3.5 8.8 11.9 (75)

We went in with a defensive strategy with only 7 goals scored in the first half. It was a close battle all game and Simon Garlick put in an epic performance kicking 6 of our 11 goals. To add to the occasion, Trent Bartlett kicked a goal late in the game to pinch the lead for us.

I also remember a first year player Patrick Wiggins taking a screamer, I think it might have even been on SOS.

Twodogs
18-01-2010, 02:08 PM
[Trent Bartlett kicked a goal late in the game to pinch the lead for us.

Best. Free. Kick. Ever!!!

Was it in the back that the umpire payed?

The thing you hadnt mentioned about this game was that Carlton had won ten or eleven on the trot and were due to play the undefeated Essendon the week after they had played us. Jeez they were even more arrogant than usual before the game and all they could think about was next week, next week-the match of the year! I can remember standing on my seat and taunting the Carlton supporters straight after the game. It felt so good. One kid turned to her dad and said "But, but dad they are Footscray. They werent meant to beat us":D

Remi Moses
18-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Not trying to sound flippant,but I haven't seen our greatest win yet.

Rocco Jones
18-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Not trying to sound flippant,but I haven't seen our greatest win yet.

Boy, I hope I haven't seen it! To be honest, without spoiling the ending of this top ten, it relatively won't take much to beat it. Anything that results in a prelim win would beat whatever I have at one.

Swoop
18-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Good work Rocco, looking forward to seeing the countdown unfold as well as throwing in my 2 cents worth as we look back on some great wins.

LostDoggy
18-01-2010, 07:11 PM
On an excitment level basis versus great footy wins, the game at WO against Collingwood where Graeme Allan short passed accross goal and Simon Beasley marked and put us in front right at the death knock. Being older I also remember getting excited with games where we NEARLY beat a team.
Boy how we have improved as a tem and club, and the BEST is yet to come !

The Pie Man
18-01-2010, 07:17 PM
We had injury problems with a group of regulars missing including Granty and Darcy, meaning Robert Murphy was in line to make his AFL debut.

I recall a very skinny Bob running into goal at the Legends Stand end (what a waste that stand was) in the last quarter and goaling with the ugliest/grub of a kick, his first in AFL footy. Important 6 points it was too.

Twodogs
19-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I recall a very skinny Bob running into goal at the Legends Stand end (what a waste that stand was) in the last quarter and goaling with the ugliest/grub of a kick, his first in AFL footy. Important 6 points it was too.

Was he wearing #22 when he debuted? He inherited #2 at Steve Kolyniuk's suggestion I think.

I'm starting to feel like Richie Benaud with all these "two's".

Rocco Jones
19-01-2010, 02:04 PM
8th

2008- Round 1: Western Bulldogs vs Adelaide @ Docklands

The Setting
Our first game of 2008 saw Johnno bring up his 300th game.

We finished off 2007 in an extremely disappointing manner going without a win in our last 7 games. The game saw the debut of Welsh and Hudson, who were set to play their first game for us against their old club.

The Result
Western Bulldogs 5.4 6.9 13.9 19.12 (126)
Adelaide 2.1 7.8 12.13 18.15 (123)

The game looked over until Johnno kicked 3 late goals (and 5 in the 2nd half) to snatch the lead for us. The fairytale could have been easily ruined but Bock missed a gettable set shot with seconds left on the clock.

Welsh (4 goals) and Hudson both put in impressive performances in their first game for the club. A wonderful way to celebrate Johnno's 300th game, as well as putting some of the demons of 2007 behind us

meIO5_Amyp0

Remi Moses
19-01-2010, 07:41 PM
I've got lasting memories of wins when we struggled. The win against Fitzroy in 80 after waiting 12 weeks,theone against Stkilda in 2004.The win against Norf in Canberra in 2004,also one at Stkilda in 83 after being 7 goals down at 3 quarter time.

LostDoggy
19-01-2010, 09:45 PM
I think this thread is about the WB era only. Otherwise we know the 54gf is no.1

Rocco Jones
20-01-2010, 05:16 PM
7th

2008- Semi-Final: Western Bulldogs vs Sydney @ MCG

The Setting
We were coming off an extremely disappointing thrashing at the hands of the Hawks, as well as having a poor end to the regular season. The Swans were a shadow of their 2005-2006 side but still have the competitiveness to get them to a semi. Winning obviously would bring a prelim berth but it also meant avoiding the embarrassment of being bundled out in straight sets after such a strong season.

The Result
Western Bulldogs 2.3 (15) 6.5 (41) 11.9 (75) 16.10 (106)
Sydney 2.4 (16) 5.7 (37) 5.13 (43) 9.15 (69)

A pretty ordinary game to be honest but finals are a bit of an auto inclusion considering that Prelim wins aren't available to me!

It was very tight up until HT and I remember a free against Callan for an interchange infringement potentially being massive. We won it with a quarter of dominant footy in the 3rd term. Minson sent off Spider into retirement in fine fashion.

Some highlights from that match winning 3rd quarter

Lake runs off Hall to kick a goal
Yva84FYeMeU

Griffen puts the icing on the cake
WkiSzQNPP-M

Rocco Jones
20-01-2010, 05:19 PM
I think this thread is about the WB era only. Otherwise we know the 54gf is no.1

Yep. I don't normally like referring to us as ''Western'' but though 1997 was a convenient place to start considering my age. Once again, I would love a few of our more ''experienced'' posters to comment about great wins of the past.

aker39
20-01-2010, 05:24 PM
finals [/B]are a bit of an auto inclusion considering that Prelim wins aren't available to me!

And we haven't won to many of them in our history.

Rocco Jones
20-01-2010, 05:26 PM
And we haven't won to many of them in our history.

Yep. The 13 seasons as the Western Bulldogs have been relatively successful.

The Pie Man
20-01-2010, 06:35 PM
7th

2008- Semi-Final: Western Bulldogs vs Sydney @ MCG

I got very pessimistic about this game when Higgins had a shot on goal ripped away from him for an interchange infringement (which didn't cost a goal bizarrely enough) but our third quarter was dominant.

Just to check so I don't get (more) annoying : I should wait until we're down to number 1 before posting any games we think would make it on the list yeah Rocco?

Cool thread BTW, enjoyable memories

Rocco Jones
20-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Just to check so I don't get (more) annoying : I should wait until we're down to number 1 before posting any games we think would make it on the list yeah Rocco?

Cool thread BTW, enjoyable memories

Thanks mate.

I am OK with any discussion on great games really. I want the thread to be more about posters sharing memories of great wins than just reading my comments.

comrade
20-01-2010, 07:03 PM
I loved Brian's goal and his cheeky smile afterwards.

Sedat
20-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I am OK with any discussion on great games really. I want the thread to be more about posters sharing memories of great wins than just reading my comments.
If we're talking happy memories, seeing 50,000 odd filth supporters squeezing through the aisles halfway through the last qtr of the 2006 Elimination Final cannot be topped as the greatest sight I've seen at the football. I suspect this match will end up on your list, Rocco.

hujsh
20-01-2010, 10:30 PM
I suspect one of the win against Adelaide in 2006 with a dominant Cooney or the win soon after at Subi against West Cost will make it. Both declared by Rodney (at the time) as his best win with the club.

I also remember the game against Brisbane at the Gabba after losing Darcy the week before being declared by Smorgon as one of the greatest wins he's been involved with.

Mantis
20-01-2010, 10:49 PM
I suspect one of the win against Adelaide in 2006 with a dominant Cooney or the win soon after at Subi against West Coast will make it. Both declared by Rodney (at the time) as his best win with the club.

I also remember the game against Brisbane at the Gabba after losing Darcy the week before being declared by Smorgon as one of the greatest wins he's been involved with.

This win would definitely make my top 3..... Let's see how RJ rates it.

boydogs
20-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Which would you rate higher - the win over Brisbane in Brisbane after the West Coast loss this year, holding off a late charge with Aker's goal or the win over them down here in the finals

Rocco Jones
20-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Which would you rate higher - the win over Brisbane in Brisbane after the West Coast loss this year, holding off a late charge with Aker's goal or the win over them down here in the finals

I am wishing I didn't ask for comments now! :)

Nah, some great discussion. I think it's a very good question. My top 10 isn't just based on the best performances we have put out, I have tried to factor in what was at stake as well. I tried to factor in games that have for whatever reason stayed in our fans minds.

I must say I have weighted the finals wins very heavily, especially due to how success starved the club has been. I can definitely understand fans not having the Swans or Lions semi wins nowhere near the top 10.

Rocco Jones
20-01-2010, 11:44 PM
I am going to hurry through these as I am more interested in the discussion than my own top 10!

6th

2009- Semi-Final: Western Bulldogs vs Brisbane @ MCG

The Setting
Coming off a disappointing performance in the QF against the cats we were once again faced with the prospect of a straight sets finish after a strong season. The Lions managed a great comeback the week to keep their season alive.

Windy conditions ensure this not going to be a pretty one.

The Result
Western Bulldogs 4.2 (26) 6.6 (42) 11.8 (74) 16.11 (107)
Brisbane Lions 0.6 (6) 3.7 (25) 5.7 (37) 8.8 (56)

Another one that is weighted due to it's finals status (I am already getting defensive!). I probably rate our performance in this game more than most, I thought that the windy conditions were always going to make it an ugly looking game but outside of the Lions blowing their chances in the first quarter, we completely dominated the game.

Swoop
21-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Without wanting to ruin RJ's countdown I thought I would highlight some different games that stick out in my head for various reasons, some we didn't necessarily win but I recall some great football being played.

One off the top of my head was I think back in 98 against WCE at Subiaco, the first quarter stills sticks out for me as one of the great displays we put on. I recall we kicked 7.2 and played some absolutely clean champagne football, unfortunately WCE did the same the next quarter and we ultimately lost! I still recall that first quarter though!

Another that was also in 98 was our demolition of Brisbane at Optus Oval, admittedly they weren't traveling too well at the time but we came out in the first quarter again and absolutely blitzed them. It would have been one Brett Montgomery's best games as well, I remember him taking something like 15 marks and getting over 30 possies.

In terms of individual performances Johnson's 8 goals was a fair effort against the same Cats defence that not long after became one of the most indestructible. Crofty's last game against North Melbourne was memorable, for him to come out and play the way he did said a lot about his character, great effort. This one is perhaps an obscure one but I recall what would've been perhaps 2002 against Sydney at the SCG, I know many don't have time for him but I recall Nathan Brown having a field day running through the midfield and putting 5 goals away in a quality performance, he could've been anything before he broke the leg. Finally Darcy's game or specifically his last quarter efforts in the great comeback against Adelaide in 99 still sticks in my mind for a great performance. Darcy must've enjoyed playing Adelaide because that 6 goal effort the week prior to doing his knee was also a memorable game, he was the answer to our prays for one week anyway.

Also I must admit Lake's performance on Jack Anthony against Collingwood this year would have to be one of the most dominant performances I have seen from a defender, he made Anthony look completely out of his depth for the entire match. Lake also put in a great performance in the preliminary final against Geelong in 2008 really controlling the backline all night.

Just a few random thoughts to spark some memories and conversation!

Remi Moses
21-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Yep. I don't normally like referring to us as ''Western'' but though 1997 was a convenient place to start considering my age. Once again, I would love a few of our more ''experienced'' posters to comment about great wins of the past.

Experienced nice touch. Old farts more like it! Footscray , Western Bulldogs just the same .

The Pie Man
21-01-2010, 11:34 AM
6th

2009- Semi-Final: Western Bulldogs vs Brisbane @ MCG

The Setting

This had to be the most relaxed I've felt at a finals game. I was tense the week before, but I rocked up to this contest without a care in the world, and we played like it.

I think the Harbrow courage (backing into J Brown) has been mentioned a few times since, and it was a return to form for Ryan Griffen, who was dominant.

Hey Rocco, are we sadistic enough to do a 10 worst losses thread?

LostDoggy
21-01-2010, 12:33 PM
This had to be the most relaxed I've felt at a finals game. I was tense the week before, but I rocked up to this contest without a care in the world, and we played like it.

I think the Harbrow courage (backing into J Brown) has been mentioned a few times since, and it was a return to form for Ryan Griffen, who was dominant.

Hey Rocco, are we sadistic enough to do a 10 worst losses thread?

I know which my worst loss is - and I'm sure many others would pick the same game. 13 years on & I still haven't watched one second of it. :(

LostDoggy
21-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Three games come to mind

Preliminary Final against Melbourne - 1961

Melbourne (who had won premierships in 55,56,57,59 and 60) were the beaten favourites in the 61 second semi by Hawthorn. We had beaten St Kilda in the first semi but were not given much chance against the "unbeatable" Demons. Wrong - we were way to fast for them and came out on top.

Game was noted for the mark of the century by Merv Hobbs over Trevor Johnson and another by his co-rover Keith Beamish which wasn't far behind.

Also, notable for the injury to the great man Ted Whitten who charged into a pack with Ian Thorogood from Melbourne coming from the opposite direction. Ted said later "I didn't think he would keep coming" but he did (most woulld not have) which resulted in Whitten copping a corked thigh which seriously restricted him the next week in the Grand Final

We had not beaten Geelong at Kardinia Park since before the War - Second World War for the X and Y lot.

We just couldn't handle the travel.:D

It was the middle 70's and there we were getting another hiding. Into the final quarter and I said to my mate, let's start moving around the ground to the other side where our car was parked.

Just then we kicked a goal. Another 20 metres on we kicked another. And then another. Georgie Bissett had a hand in them.

I said to my mate, "hang on - we had better watch this" And we got up! It's probably my greatest memory because for years we had gone there, knowing we would lose and to get up from nowhere was absolute magic - we celebrated long and hard that night.

Finally and more recently, in 1998 at Waverley we were 8 points down against Richmond at three quarter time and kicking against a gale in the last quarter.

It was one of Wallace's better performances as coach

He left Darcy out on the fat side (the wind was taking the play to the other side) and we somehow managed to get the ball out to him and he ran it down to the goals We kicked 4 or 5 goals against the wind and ran out winners when we had no right to get up.

Geez, it was good walking out of the ground that day - the Richmond faithful were livid. A great day to be a Doggies supporter.

Rocco Jones
21-01-2010, 05:32 PM
5th

2009- Round 21: Western Bulldogs vs Geelong @ Docklands

The Setting
Our previous two games were a case of the extremes. A shock loss to West Coast at home put the final 4 spot that seemed secure in jeopardy. We rebounded with a great win against fellow top 4 contenders Brisbane at the Gabba, however our top 4 spot was far from safe. Our last two games were against fellow top 4 sides, adding to the doubt was our 0-4 record against top 4 sides at that point.

The Result
Western Bulldogs 3.5 (23) 7.12 (54) 10.12 (72) 16.14 (110)
Geelong 3.2 (20) 5.5 (35) 11.9 (75) 14.12 (96)

Our first half dominance was not truly reflected in our lead with many wasted chances. The Cats were always going to mount a challenge and ended up claiming the lead at 3/4 time.

With less than 10 minutes left on the clock, Cooney stepped up with an assist and goal in immediate succession. Hill then kicked another one, the moment I remember most from the game, to put us 13 points up. Mooney kicked a goal to bring them back in it with 2 minutes left but it was too late, with Higgins putting sweet icing on the cake after the siren.

KiIiunYXwcI

Sedat
21-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Finally and more recently, in 1998 at Waverley we were 8 points down against Richmond at three quarter time and kicking against a gale in the last quarter.
Some great memories there EJ. Was it true that Ted Whitten never tasted victory down at the Cattery throughout his entire career?

The Richmond game at Waverley in 1998 was indeed a gutsy win, and it was punctuated by my mate at the final siren telling the Richmond supporters sitting near us to "Unleash the Giesch....back to the reserves". Amazing to think at the time that Jeff Gieschen was very much the flavour of the month in AFL coaching circles, winning 4 of the last 5 games in 1997 and starting the 1998 season well.

Mantis
21-01-2010, 06:14 PM
5th

2009- Round 21: Western Bulldogs vs Geelong @ MCG

The Setting
Our previous two games were a case of the extremes. A shock loss to West Coast at home put the final 4 spot that seemed secure in jeopardy. We rebounded with a great win against fellow top 4 contenders Brisbane at the Gabba, however our top 4 spot was far from safe. Our last two games were against fellow top 4 sides, adding to the doubt was our 0-4 record against top 4 sides at that point.

Windy conditions ensure this not going to be a pretty one.

The game was played at ES.

Rocco Jones
21-01-2010, 06:17 PM

Haha, woops. I copy and paste the last game and use it as a template for the new one. The windy conditions were about the Brisbane game! Thanks for the that, will edit.

LostDoggy
21-01-2010, 06:17 PM

He he. Here I was trying to remember why I wasn't at that game - turns out I was!! :D

Rocco Jones
21-01-2010, 06:19 PM
He he. Here I was trying to remember why I wasn't at that game - turns out I was!! :D

Apologies! Very memorable indeed.

LostDoggy
21-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Apologies! Very memorable indeed.

Yes, one of the best!! :)

Mantis
22-01-2010, 10:04 AM
How very exciting RJ, your thread has made it on to Bay 13 over at BF.

Light reading for you all (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668323)

Get a life 'sherrthecat'.

LostDoggy
22-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Some great memories there EJ. Was it true that Ted Whitten never tasted victory down at the Cattery throughout his entire career?

That would be correct because he had retired before the break-through victory.

I remember on one occasion we were getting another hiding and all the players were gathering together on the mat for three quarter time.

Whitten came from one end of the ground walked straight through the gathering and down to his positon at the other end of the ground. The players stood around non-plussed, "What do we do now"

Sounds bad on EJ's behalf but I guess he had tried everything and had come to a full stop thinking something radical might work.

It didn't

But it ws a big talking point for a while.

It is amusing to think that the genuine theory at the time was that we couldn't handle the travel - and it was the same with all teams. They hated the idea of going all that way for the game.

When the Cats played in Melbourne, the team bus would stop at the Commercial Hotel in Werribee on the way home for a few coldies.

Times have changed.

Ozza
22-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Strangely enough - I have never seen us get beaten at the Cattery. Pretty sure I have been there 6 times and we have won each time.

1999 (when we came from nowhere in the last 5 minutes)

The Pie Man
22-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Strangely enough - I have never seen us get beaten at the Cattery. Pretty sure I have been there 6 times and we have won each time.

I had to double check that - yep, we had a double over Geelong for the year...how weird.

What an awful year....9 losses on the trot after round 1, then a draw, then another 4 straight losses before our second win against Geelong in round 16 - leaving us strangely with Geelong the only team we'd (twice) in 16 weeks of footy.

Another 4 straight losses to end the year too.

LostDoggy
22-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Didn't attend in 2008?

Ozza
22-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Didn't attend in 2008?

I didn't go in 2008 because I was playing footy myself at that time. Dad protested with me that I 'had to go' because I'd never seen us lose at that ground!

LostDoggy
22-01-2010, 03:23 PM
I didn't go in 2008 because I was playing footy myself at that time. Dad protested with me that I 'had to go' because I'd never seen us lose at that ground!

If you haven't already, retire now!

Rocco Jones
22-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Light reading for you all (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668323)

Interesting stuff.

I will preface my selections now, so I don't cause any offence.

I, Rocco Jones, am aware that my club, Western Bulldogs, has been starved of success. I am not trying to mock your club or say it is inferior to the Bulldogs by listing a loss in my top 10. I am humbled by the fact that you go for a club that has had greater success than my club, I am sure it is something that makes you personally proud, as well as your family and friends. I admire everyone who goes for a successful club, I think it really shows a lot about them as individuals. I am also ashamed of going for a club that has had very little success and really think I need to start doing something about my life.

I also apologise for seeming to take any joy in these ''great'' wins. I know I should in fact just spend time gushing over the great feats of succesful clubs like Geelong and write about how much in awe I am of of their fans. I know a lot of Bulldog fans are successful in the less important things in life like family and meaningful work, but truly compared to your achievements in selecting a side that has success, the emptiness of our shallow lives is evident. You guys are truly life champions.

My hat goes off to you sherthecat. 2 premierships, 1 runners up in 3 years. You should be extremely proud of your life. I know I am proud to have even gained your attention sir.

Next up is a game featuring West Coast. Once again, I think this win is nothing compared to the regular feats of your amazing football club. Premierships and grand finals are only a dream to us pathetic Bulldog fans and to you guys they are just so very regular. It really does show a lot about us as people.

Anyways onto our next pathetic great win.

4th

1998- Qualifying Final: Western Bulldogs vs West Coast @ MCG

The Setting
We finished the season in 2nd after losing to North in an epic round 22 clash for the minor premiership.

Under the old system we played the 7th placed West Coast (who let me say, have had far more great and greater wins, I would be surprised if any of them even remember this) with a Preliminary Final berth on offer.

The Result
Western Bulldogs 5.0 8.7 14.11 18.13 (121)
West Coast 1.1 4.4 5.6 7.9 (51)

I remember Monty kicking a goal after being free in the goal square early in the game, it was pretty obvious we were going to have too much for them. Minton-Connell kicked 5 goals and announced his retirement later that week irc.

The Eagles were a shell of their premiership winning team but the confident feeling after coming 2nd and winning a final by 70 points was great. Too bad it was followed by a preliminary final.

Swoop
23-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Good win but I recall being disappointed because Minton-Connell kicked five this game, sounds strange I know but I knew it meant he wouldn't be dropped for the following week and I also knew he would struggle on quality opposition in a tight match.

Rocco Jones
23-01-2010, 02:25 PM
3rd

1997- Qualifying Final: Western Bulldogs vs Sydney @ MCG

The Setting
We managed to sneak into third after Adelaide lost a thriller to Essendon and we beat the Hawks in round 22. A massive turnaround from finishing 15th in 1996.

Under the old final 8 system we were to play the 6th placed Sydney, who had made the grand final in 1996. 1997 was a tight season, the Swans lost a close game in round 22. If they had of won, they would have finished in 4th and been a game off 2nd.

The Result
Western Bulldogs 9.2 12.5 14.7 18.11 (119)
Sydney 0.5 4.7 6.10 12.12 (84)

I loved the pre-game atmosphere. After the disappointment of 1996, it was great to being in a final in front of a 60,000 + crowd. The first quarter was fantastic, a 51 point lead effectively ending the game as a contest. The Swans ended up cutting the margin with a large part of the game being junk time like. I remember Wallace using Smith as a lead up FF, which really seemed to throw out the Swans defence. Cook kicked 4 goals, annoying Dunkley to the extent that he punched him in the gob.

The victory was made far more important a day later when 2nd placed Geelong lost to North, meaning we automatically went through to that prelim.

Swoop
23-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Awesome 1st quarter and pre game atmosphere. Montgomery running in from 50 and side stepping two opponents before kicking the goal was my highlight.

KT31
24-01-2010, 01:06 AM
1997- Round 21: Western Bulldogs vs West Coast @ Whitten Oval

The Setting

The Result
Western Bulldogs 4.3 6.8 8.12 12.14 (86)
West Coast 1.1 2.5 5.6 10.8 (68)

Great game and a great way to finish a chapter in Bulldogs history.
BTW :Thats my white sleave above the red "R" in Western Bulldogs and Sockeye is not too far to the right.
My better half was also there but it was teaming and she headed of to the Buck with some of the other wives.
Spews to this day she is not in the picture.

The Coon Dog
24-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Sockeye is not too far to the right.
That's not what I've heard! ;)

OLD SCRAGGer
24-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Great game and a great way to finish a chapter in Bulldogs history.
BTW :Thats my white sleave above the red "R" in Western Bulldogs and Sockeye is not too far to the right.
My better half was also there but it was teaming and she headed of to the Buck with some of the other wives.
Spews to this day she is not in the picture.

This game has mixed feelings in my life:

1: Because my mother had a sever stroke at this game (almost didn't make it, she's good now)

2: Because it was the last game at our beloved Whitten Oval.

Twodogs
24-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Thats my white sleave above the red "R" in Western Bulldogs and

What red ''R"? I cant see a red "R". I can see plenty of white sleeves, but the only "r"s I can see are white and blue.

The Pie Man
24-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Perfect illustration of why I couldn't be arsed with BF - I likened that thread to school bullies hunting down some kids in a corner of the school ground keen on just doing their own thing.

Trolling this site and starting that thread says a lot more about sherrthecat then anything else.

hujsh
24-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Interesting stuff.

I will preface my selections now, so I don't cause any offence.

I, Rocco Jones, am aware that my club, Western Bulldogs, has been starved of success. I am not trying to mock your club or say it is inferior to the Bulldogs by listing a loss in my top 10. I am humbled by the fact that you go for a club that has had greater success than my club, I am sure it is something that makes you personally proud, as well as your family and friends. I admire everyone who goes for a successful club, I think it really shows a lot about them as individuals. I am also ashamed of going for a club that has had very little success and really think I need to start doing something about my life.

I also apologise for seeming to take any joy in these ''great'' wins. I know I should in fact just spend time gushing over the great feats of succesful clubs like Geelong and write about how much in awe I am of of their fans. I know a lot of Bulldog fans are successful in the less important things in life like family and meaningful work, but truly compared to your achievements in selecting a side that has success, the emptiness of our shallow lives is evident. You guys are truly life champions.

My hat goes off to you sherthecat. 2 premierships, 1 runners up in 3 years. You should be extremely proud of your life. I know I am proud to have even gained your attention sir.

That's too smart. If he reads that i would expect his head to explode.

KT31
24-01-2010, 11:13 PM
What red ''R"? I cant see a red "R". I can see plenty of white sleeves, but the only "r"s I can see are white and blue.

Sorry it should have been a red "G".
Case of a very long day and finally sitting down.

LxGee
25-01-2010, 01:01 PM
One of the best would have to be
2000- Round 22: Essendon vs Western Bulldogs at Colonial Stadium

The Setting

Going into the game Essendon were undefeated 20 wins 0 loses going into the last qty losing by 2.3 then taking the leading winning and ending there winning streak

The Result
3.2 Q1 4.1
7.3 Q2 7.3
11.7 Q3 9.4
12.9 Q4 14.8
(81) Total (92)

Twodogs
25-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Sorry it should have been a red "G".
Case of a very long day and finally sitting down.

Thank God-I thought I'd gone colour blind. I wasin the same area but closer to the fence.

Rocco Jones
25-01-2010, 05:12 PM
2nd

2006- Elimination Final: Western Bulldogs vs Collingwood @ MCG

The Setting
We finished in 8th, bringing our first finals appearance in 6 years. Collingwood finished 5th with only percentage keeping them outside of the top 4.

The Result
Collingwood 5.6 6.9 6.13 11.14 (80)
Western Bulldogs 4.2 8.7 14.10 18.13 (121)

Brodie Holland knocked out Monty early and he amazingly came back to kick 4 goals. We were behind by 10 points at quarter time but the next two quarters of footy were amazing, kicking 10 goals to 1 to have it in the bag at 3/4 time. There was a lot of satisfaction in just relaxing for the last quarter and enjoying Collingwood's misery (cue bigfooty follower comments!).

Ray played his best game for the club, thought he had turned the corner that day. Griffen was also very promising and Cooney kicked 3. Great day for our youngsters. Our first finals win in 8 years.

Gilbee putting a nail in the coffin
NRabQKD2ySo

LostDoggy
25-01-2010, 05:31 PM
My favourite moment was Rohan Smith kicking his goal in the last quarter. He was so pumped - got him to his 300th game too!! Whenever I see him on Foxtel & it says "Rohan Smith 300 games Bulldogs" on the screen I say "That's because we beat Collingwood in the Elimination Final"!! :D

Rocco Jones
25-01-2010, 05:37 PM
A largely predictable number 1 now, so I won't further delay it.

1st

2000- Round 21: Essendon vs Western Bulldogs @ Docklands

The Setting
Friday night footy. With 2 games to play, we were only a game in the eight and were up against the 20-0 Essendon team who were looking to go through the season undefeated.

The Result
Essendon 3.2 7.3 11.7 12.9 (81)
Western Bulldogs 4.1 7.3 9.4 14.8 (92)

Wallace had an obvious plan for this game. Our flooding and hard work kept us in the contest throughout the night. At HT, the scores were even and things were heating up with a confrontation between Johnno and Barnes after Barnes flattened him earlier. Essendon outplayed us in the third quarter and we were probably lucky to be only 15 points down at the final break, we were looking like gallant losers.

Late in the game we adopted a more attacking style out of necessity but kept on missing our chances. With moments remaining, Granty had a shot on the boundary, with the Dogs a point down. I will let Bruce sum it up...

IdNXJyq8TuE

An amazing win that sealed our finals spot and remarkably ended Essendon's undefeated season. They went on to comfortably claim the premiership that season, the most dominant season in at least the modern era.

This win was about a coach as it gets. Wallace's flooding worked an absolute treat.

It was the happiest I have ever been after the game, so much of it was due to having such little expectation in us winning.

Rocco Jones
25-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Just a few things:
- I think the top 10 highlights our real lack of success. To have a home and away game as our number 1 is obviously a sad reflection of that.

- I put the Essendon game at 1 for a couple of reasons. There was actually something riding on it, it sealed our finals spot. It is so highly rated in our fans minds and still means a lot to us. If a Bulldogs replay is on TV, this is the one that tends to get the most interest. I think the Friday night/Essendon undefeated spotlight was enormous.

-I really weighted the finals performances, I can understand others valuing otherwise greater home and away wins higher. If not for the feeling I get from our fans towards the Essendon win, I would have had the Collingwood win at 1.

-In retrospect, I undervalued that great win against the Eagles at Subi in 2006 and it really should have been in the top 10. The fact it was interstate actually made it a greater performance but it also probably makes it less recognised because so few of our fans actually went.

Throughandthrough
25-01-2010, 06:49 PM
-In retrospect, I undervalued that great win against the Eagles at Subi in 2006 and it really should have been in the top 10. The fact it was interstate actually made it a greater performance but it also probably makes it less recognised because so few of our fans actually went.

And the day i first met Rocco!

(and Rocco nearly didn't attend the game himself...)

(And I got a big man cuddle from Rohan Smith after the siren, James Hird style. Thank feck that wasn't caught on the tv replay!)

Rocco Jones
25-01-2010, 07:05 PM
And the day i first met Rocco!

(and Rocco nearly didn't attend the game himself...)

(And I got a big man cuddle from Rohan Smith after the siren, James Hird style. Thank feck that wasn't caught on the tv replay!)

Different game. :)

Round 13 was the great win.

We got hammered in the semi-final we met. I forget my ticket at the place I was staying, luckily it was very close to Subi.

Throughandthrough
25-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Different game. :)

Round 13 was the great win.

We got hammered in the semi-final we met. I forget my ticket at the place I was staying, luckily it was very close to Subi.

aah, you sure?

I went to both games.

Well, the same year as we met :)

Pembleton
26-01-2010, 12:54 AM
I think i'd have your 3 at 1. 1 and 2 were great, but the Swannies in '97 had a geniune 'we're contenders now' meaningfulness that i think gives it the edge.

Rocco Jones
26-01-2010, 01:43 AM
I think i'd have your 3 at 1. 1 and 2 were great, but the Swannies in '97 had a geniune 'we're contenders now' meaningfulness that i think gives it the edge.

The top 3 were very close. If we went into the Swans game knowing victory would have take us straight to a prelim, I would have had it at one.

Twodogs
26-01-2010, 01:04 PM
My favourite moment was Rohan Smith kicking his goal in the last quarter. He was so pumped - got him to his 300th game too!! Whenever I see him on Foxtel & it says "Rohan Smith 300 games Bulldogs" on the screen I say "That's because we beat Collingwood in the Elimination Final"!! :D

That goal of Bubba's in the last quarter is one of my favorite memories in football. Monty was going to have a shot and was almost in the kicking action when he noticed Rohan running past on his right. He stopped the kick and virtually handed the ball to Bubba to take the glory.

Didnt the crowd go wild?

ratsmac
26-01-2010, 02:33 PM
aah, you sure?

I went to both games.

Well, the same year as we met :)

sounds very romantic

The Bulldogs Bite
10-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Great thread to read over once again.

Going to order a few of these on DVD.

Can anyone remember those 2 games down at Geelong where we defeated them? I'm pretty sure they were in successive years, maybe 98 and 99?

Also, what game was what? We were behind in one and weren't we? I remember being a young kid, being up on the rails, watching Grant kick a ripper from the boundary.

KT31
11-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Great thread to read over once again.

Going to order a few of these on DVD.

Can anyone remember those 2 games down at Geelong where we defeated them? I'm pretty sure they were in successive years, maybe 98 and 99? [/B].

From memory you are correct it was 1998 and 1999, great to travel down the highway two years running with a win over the Cats.Certainly made the drive home better.
From memory, in 98, we were behind all day and had a great last quarter, with Darcy sealing it just before the siren.

Also, what game was what? We were behind in one and weren't we? I remember being a young kid, being up on the rails, watching Grant kick a ripper from the boundary.

Season 2000, Round 21 against Essendon, Bombers only defeat that season.

Twodogs
11-01-2012, 11:51 AM
From memory you are correct it was 1998 and 1999, great to travel down the highway two years running with a win over the Cats.Certainly made the drive home better.
From memory, in 98, we were behind all day and had a great last quarter, with Darcy sealing it just before the siren.

Darc took a mark in the goalsquare and sealed it. But it was the kick from Paul Hudson that was the amazing thing. The ball was bouncing out of bounds in the forward pocket before Huddo threw a boot at it and kicked it back over his shoulder without picking it up into Darcy's waiting hands.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-01-2012, 02:40 PM

Season 2000, Round 21 against Essendon, Bombers only defeat that season.

Yep -- the one I must be talking about is from '98. Both awesome games though, especially as I went with my Geelong mate.

Already got Grant's ripper on DVD :)

Darc took a mark in the goalsquare and sealed it. But it was the kick from Paul Hudson that was the amazing thing. The ball was bouncing out of bounds in the forward pocket before Huddo threw a boot at it and kicked it back over his shoulder without picking it up into Darcy's waiting hands.

Was this also the same game that Nathan Brown ran riot -- or was that one '99?

The Coon Dog
11-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Was this also the same game that Nathan Brown ran riot -- or was that one '99?

The game Nathan Brown kicked 7 was at Princes Park. Funny, both he & Nathan Eagleton kicked 7 in a losing team v Geelong.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-01-2012, 02:57 PM
The game Nathan Brown kicked 7 was at Princes Park. Funny, both he & Nathan Eagleton kicked 7 in a losing team v Geelong.

I remember that. Held the ball above his head prior to booting number 7.

In one of the games down at the then "Shell Stadium" though, I am positive he played midfield (maybe half back) and was BOG.

jazzadogs
11-01-2012, 06:39 PM

One of those, the second one I think, was Smith and West's 200th game? I remember being down there for that, it was a good day despite raining non-stop!

Sedat
12-01-2012, 12:05 AM
We also had a great win at Kardinia Park in 2001 when we got to 47 points in arrears before reeling the Cats in. Scott West brought his own football that day.

Pickenitup
12-01-2012, 09:43 AM
One Of My Fav Dogs Wins was at The WACA Rd 6 1997 on a friday Nite Chris Grant's 150th Game
and boy did he turn it on!

westdog54
14-01-2012, 11:00 AM
I remember that. Held the ball above his head prior to booting number 7.

In one of the games down at the then "Shell Stadium" though, I am positive he played midfield (maybe half back) and was BOG.

I remember sitting in the Heatly Terrace behind the goals and hanging it on Ashley McIntosh every time Brown chalked up another one, a couple of them were absolutely gift-wrapped.

In the last quarter he was thrown forward, again to the Heatley Stand end. He was copping it from fans of all ages. Priceless.

One that I love to think back on, not for it being a particularly great or significant win, but purely for the joy and satisfaction it gave me, is this one:

Round 1 2006 - Western Bulldogs vs Richmond (http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2006/071420060331.html)

Western Bulldogs 6.4.40 9.11.65 18.13.121 25.17.167
Richmond 3.2.20 5.6.36 6.6.42 7.10.52

9 Goals to one in the 3rd quarter blew the Tigers out of the water, at one point forcing Terry Wallace to put Matthew Richardson loose in defence to stem the tide. From there we never looked back. Highlights included Matty Robbins snapping one almost 180 degrees over his shoulder for a goal, and an end to end, four possession goal in the last finished off by a very young Ryan Griffen.